Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So... they were going to shunt some of the categories to the commercial breaks and they weren't going to let all of the nominated songs be performed (decisions that have since been reversed, of course), but they could make time for a Queen medley?  That's the kind of superfluous shit that makes the Oscars sooooo long, not the actual giving out of awards and recognizing the nominees!

• Love 4

Just popping in to talk fashion.

https://deadline.com/gallery/oscars-2019-red-carpet-arrivals-gallery/#!17/91st-annual-academy-awards-arrivals-los-angeles-usa-24-feb-2019-8/

LOVE this photo of Constance Wu. 

Glenn Close looks RADIANT. Now that is a "I think I'm going to win tonight" dress. If she looks like she got tangled in the drapes it's in that regal Scarlett O'Hara/Carol Burnett way where you wear the F out of those curtains. After finally looking into the plot, I want to watch The Wife but I want to read the book first and I'm waiting to get it from the library. 

Contrast with Olivia Colman who is letting the drapes wear her.

Sarah Paulson continues to troll everyone. Jennifer Lopez continues to be gorgeous. Emma Stone continues to be fashionable. Amy Adams continuing to be an elegant goddess.

Brie Larson looking like a high fashion Joan of Arc.

WE DO NOT DESERVE BILLY PORTER.

Why is Charlize Theron giving me Aeon Flux in a Cate Blanchett periwinkle/dove gray and a Claire Danes kind of unflattering silhouette. What happened this year?

I love that someone continues to dress Octavia Spencer like the queen she is. Not too flashy but not mother of the bride dowdy either.

Danai Gurira looks fabulous.

Gemma Chan is very fashion but in that ugly over the top way that turns normal people off. Like, yes, models can wear almost everything but that still doesn't make what they're wearing good.

Jason Momoa looks like Lisa Bonet's date. I don't like either of their outfits but he looks like coordinated to match her. 

Kacey Musgraves coming as a girlier version of Florence Welch. I don't hate it compared to Gemma Chan. 

Hannah Beachler gunning for most WTF look this year. Linda Cardellini also in the running though her makeup is cute. Her look feels like it would be great in a Lancome ad but not for actually walking around in public. 

Who did that to Queen Latifah?

Everyone else so far is a bit boring and I don't feel like commenting.

• Love 2

I have a feeling that for all that everyone thinks "there could be surprises!" in the major categories...there won't be.  Just about every Oscar prediction I read listed the same winners.  Leading off...Regina King.  Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

• Love 2

Even without a host this show will drag on for 11 hours and then tomorrow the “shocked!” producers will wonder why the ratings tanked yet again because they just refuse to cull at least 75% of all the repetitive, unnecessary, boring bullshit they cram into non-important segments every single damn year. 

This isn’t the Grammys, show, if you really think you will be saved this year by having Gaga and Bradley warble at each other and their “chemistry” is going to be a ratings blockbuster, someone lied to you, girl. 

Also, having Adam screeching Queen is only a huge reminder that Freddie’s skill was unmatched and certain persons should not go there. Just...no. 

And finally, Regina gets her rightful due. I am pleased, took long enough. She looks gorgeous. 

• Love 5

I didn't watch the pre-shows because I didn't want to fall asleep from boredom, so I end up making redundant observations about people's fashion choices, my bad!

I liked the Queen performance. I mean yeah sure, obbbbviously it's no Freddie Mercury, but how can I not love the rest of the original band playing?

• Love 3