Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

The closest to it I've ever seen was when "Life is Beautiful" won both Best Foreign Language Film and Best Director for 1993.  I remember it well because of Roberto Benigni's total shock at winning the latter award.

He won best actor. Spielberg won director that year if I remember correctly.

2 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

The benchmark for terrible Oscar song performances for me is still Ann Reinking butchering Against All Odds.

Rob Lowe and Snow White say hi. 😉

I know not a nominated song, but still....we must give credit (or discredit) where it's due.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

The closest to it I've ever seen was when "Life is Beautiful" won both Best Foreign Language Film and Best Director for 1993.  I remember it well because of Roberto Benigni's total shock at winning the latter award.

Not as shocking as when he won Best Actor. 

• Love 3
Just now, galaxygirl76 said:

And I think the year was 1998 when that travesty happened...well, more than one travesty--Benigni won Best Actor while Saving Private Ryan lost the Best Picture Oscar.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, galaxygirl76 said:

3 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Edited by ooh.boo
5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

It doesn’t typically happen but I think that you can be nominated for Picture if you quality for the Oscars in general. What would be truly amazing is if a short ever gets nominated for Picture, though I wouldn’t put money on it. 

I may be wrong (someone please correct me if I am), but I don't think a short film is eligible to be nominated for Best Picture because Best Picture honors feature films and a film has to be a certain length to qualify as a feature.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, topanga said:

Didn’t know,you could be nominated for Best Picture and Best Foreign Language film. Knowledge is power. 

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was nominated for both, and won Best Foreign Language Film.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Steph J said:

Nothing against Mahershala Ali, but I was really rooting for Richard E. Grant (with Sam Elliott as my second choice).

Me too.  😞  Looks like the increased diversity in the Academy is making itself felt.  🙂

EDITED TO ADD:  Since it seems as though I miscommunicated what I wanted to say and people took offense, let me clarify:  I was rooting for Richard E. Grant to win (hence the sad face emoji), but I am not at all upset that Mr. Ali got the trophy (well, except for the fact that it turned out to be a precursor to GRENN BOOK winning Best Film).  What I meant by the "diversity" comment is that in an earlier era Grant would have been a lock for the win, but the increased push for diversity has now brought talented people of color to the fore where before they were ignored.  (Hence the smiley face emoji).  I in no way meant to insinuate that the diversity push was a bad thing or that Mr. Ali did not deserve his win, and I sincerely apologize for my words giving the impression that I did.

Edited by yowsah1
  • Love 1

Didn’t know,you could be nominated for Best Picture and Best Foreign Language film. Knowledge is power. 

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was nominated for both, and won Best Foreign Language Film.

So was 'Life is Beautiful'.  It won Best Foreign Language Film. 

• Love 1

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody and loved it! I've never been a huge Queen fan girl- was born in 1984 so they were a bit before my time but I've always loved most of their music. The movie legit brought tears to my eyes and had me going down a huge Freddy Mercury/Queen internet rabbit hole. 

As a side note, I am a musician. I am part of a flute choir (there are 8 of us). I play both the bass flute and the regular C flute most people are used to seeing and one of our pieces is Bohemian Rhapsody. We play at the medium security prison twice a year and it's so awesome hearing these guys belt out the lyrics while we play! 

• Love 15

I actually was wondering if Richard E. Grant would pull of an upset, but I guess you can't best against Mahershala Ali!  Crazy and awesome to see how he's blown up.  That said, he's what I imagine what was going through his head during his speech:

Mahershala Ali: "Thank you, Viggo!  The time you said the N-word wasn't cool, but I can move past that.  Peter?  Thanks for not flashing us, at least.  As for that writer guy, fuck him!  Because apparently Linda Cardellini and myself were the only sane ones in this damn film!"

• Love 7