Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: The Next Fifty Years

• Start Topic

TeeVee329 - it was George (RIP, along with everyone else from that show with the highest death rate evar) who told her to shut up and it was quite beautiful! That actress excels at "annoying ass harpy".

This episode was necessary (the Scott character was going nowhere), and I thought it was excellent at the time. David played his conflicted grief pretty well--they grew up together, he loved him, but they weren't really friends anymore. What a combination of survivors guilt and guilt over how he treated him for the poor kid to live with. I wish they didn't act as if Scott never existed after this, because I imagine it's something that would have stayed with David for a while.

• Love 7

Jenny O'Hara (Mrs. Scanlon) also showed up on ER once as a put-upon nurse who got called to help in the ER. She was really bitchy about it until she made a mistake that almost killed a patient, and Carol Hathaway yelled at her. She's great at those roles.

They probably should've followed this up in later episodes with some scenes (or mentions, at least) of David getting some therapy. I don't think we even see his dad ever talking to him about it, do we? That would be a really traumatizing thing for a kid to witness.

• Love 2

Leading up to this episode there was an ad in the newspaper that touted the gang was losing one of their own accompanied by a photo of the cast that included Scott.  Since that character had barely been around all season it was a total giveaway and I was pissed.

• Love 3

Back when I first watched the show, I genuinely liked Brandon. But I remember HATING his behavior in this episode. He (along with Ms. Emily Valentine) was so rude. Total asshole. I wanted to smack him.

And I remember hating Mrs. Scanlon too. The way she ordered David around and guilted him into everything and treated him like he should be doing everything (right down to eyerolling at him for not swiftly getting the cake and the candles, seriously?? It's YOUR son, lady!), everything about her drove me nuts.

• Love 2

WTH, Hulu - they totally skipped this episode! According to them, we should be on U4EA. Maybe they thought it was too violent? Weird. I really wanted to see everyone doing that quasi-electric slide dance thing at the party.

Hulu doesn't have the music rights -- I guess because of the songs at the party? Or the songs the choir does? Not sure.

They probably should've followed this up in later episodes with some scenes (or mentions, at least) of David getting some therapy. I don't think we even see his dad ever talking to him about it, do we? That would be a really traumatizing thing for a kid to witness.

Yeah, they did some follow-up later with the Scanlon family (younger sister was Brenda or Andrea's freshman buddy or something) but literally David never so much as winced after this episode. After actually watching his lifelong friend accidentally shoot himself to death right in front of him. 

(They should've brought that up when he got hooked on crystal meth later!)

I'd like to think that PTSD from that is what attached him to Donna for the rest of his unfortunate life. Since there was no other believable explanation.

Edited by gesundheit
  • Love 1

Hulu doesn't have the music rights -- I guess because of the songs at the party? Or the songs the choir does? Not sure.

Must be, but that's still weird, given they dub in plenty of generic song substitutes in other episodes! 

I only recently started watching the eps alongside the podcast, and it has made my already-intense enjoyment of this podcast into an even bigger bonfire of looooove. So I was bummed to miss out, but an excellent podcast ep nonetheless!

Out of curiosity I was going to watch that Jason Priestley clip but when I saw it was 7 minutes long, I said, buh-bye, Brandon... that is not going to be 7 minutes of my life that I can't get back. I refuse to participate in your bullshit, mister.

*GRIN*

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1

Must be, but that's still weird, given they dub in plenty of generic song substitutes in other episodes!

There are no music rights issues at play here. Every original song on this show was replaced with assy "music" before the series was released on DVD. Hulu just sucks, and can't do anything right.

• Love 1
Every original song on this show was replaced with assy "music" before the series was released on DVD.

That's not actually true in the case of this episode; the choir sings "There's A Place For Us" from West Side Story at Scott's memorial, including on the DVD version, which is what we use. (I think you can hear it a little in one of the podcast clips.) So that might actually be the issue with Hulu; since people talk over it, they couldn't remove it, maybe?

• Love 3

There are no music rights issues at play here. Every original song on this show was replaced with assy "music" before the series was released on DVD. Hulu just sucks, and can't do anything right.

That's not actually true in the case of this episode; the choir sings "There's A Place For Us" from West Side Story at Scott's memorial, including on the DVD version, which is what we use. (I think you can hear it a little in one of the podcast clips.) So that might actually be the issue with Hulu; since people talk over it, they couldn't remove it, maybe?

Yeah, it's mostly the case with in-context music (like if someone on the show is actually singing -- like this choir -- and you can see their lips move in an obvious way or if, as Tara mentioned above, the sound mixing makes it impossible to replace the music). Hulu didn't get the rights to a ton of streaming episodes that were still included on the DVD. The Color Me Badd episode isn't on Hulu either for similar reasons (HUGE loss for all of us, right?). Same with the series finale because of Eric Benet, and a ton of the Peach Pit After Dark episodes.

Edited by gesundheit
  • Love 2

Ah, sorry, I didn't think about the West Side Story song...which...is appropriate for a funeral...how? It's about 2 people in love who can't get together because society...whatever. Weird choice. Lotta awkward in this episode, so I guess it's fitting.

Podcast MVP award goes to David T. Cole for "but when Transformers are involved, there's more than meets the eye." Also for the spandex shroud.

• Love 5

Jenny O'Hara (Mrs. Scanlon) also showed up on ER once as a put-upon nurse who got called to help in the ER. She was really bitchy about it until she made a mistake that almost killed a patient, and Carol Hathaway yelled at her. She's great at those roles.

Yes, thank you! I knew I remembered her being an annoying whiner in some other role. Has she ever done any non-cringey characters?

This was the first episode of the show I ever saw back in the day. The advertisements trumped up that one of the gang would be at risk with like a gunshot noise or something. My BFF INSISTED I watch because everyone was going to watch and it would be super important (we were 11 I think). I remember thinking the show was stupid. Who ever new 20 years later I'd be posting commentary about it.

• Love 2

Yeah, it's mostly the case with in-context music (like if someone on the show is actually singing -- like this choir -- and you can see their lips move in an obvious way or if, as Tara mentioned above, the sound mixing makes it impossible to replace the music). Hulu didn't get the rights to a ton of streaming episodes that were still included on the DVD. The Color Me Badd episode isn't on Hulu either for similar reasons (HUGE loss for all of us, right?). Same with the series finale because of Eric Benet, and a ton of the Peach Pit After Dark episodes.

I've got even worse news. The first episode of the Brenda and Dylan Mexico trip drama is missing. I almost cried.

If I remember this episode correctly (thanks for nothing Hulu!) Emily is easily the worst person ever. Which considering her competition is pretty impressive. She can't get through a birthday party without dragging Brandon off to make out in some kids room? How rude! Maybe she was on U4EA.

Which brings me to next week. I can't wait! I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

• Love 2

Yes, thank you! I knew I remembered her being an annoying whiner in some other role. Has she ever done any non-cringey characters?

Ahem, she's Doug's mother on The King of Queens, and while cringey, she's pretty funny. She's been a solidly working character actress for decades.
  • Love 1

Jenny O'Hara was also in that crappy M. Knight Shamalamalama movie a few years back called Devil. She's one of the people stuck in the elevator. My friend and I were hate-watching it, and when she showed up, we both yelled, "Scott's mom!"

She was also a Patient of the Week on House. 

Edited by Kristen

Yeah, it's mostly the case with in-context music (like if someone on the show is actually singing -- like this choir -- and you can see their lips move in an obvious way or if, as Tara mentioned above, the sound mixing makes it impossible to replace the music). Hulu didn't get the rights to a ton of streaming episodes that were still included on the DVD. The Color Me Badd episode isn't on Hulu either for similar reasons (HUGE loss for all of us, right?). Same with the series finale because of Eric Benet, and a ton of the Peach Pit After Dark episodes.

I may he wrong, but I think that when streaming services get the rights to these series, they get the syndicated cuts. Those early cuts wouldn't have changed the music. They don't use the DVD cuts. For example, Friends on Netflix uses the syndicated cuts so the full episodes are not on there. The cuts that were made for TV commercial time are used. So, if they that type of deal for BH90210 and some of those episodes feature unchanged music from syndication that they can't use they just won't put it up. Quantum Leap has run into this issue for sure.

I remember being incredibly disappointed with this episode when it originally aired because it really seemed (to me) like they were building up to DeadScott killing himself, and having him die in an accident instead struck me as a massive cop out. I apparently kept it very real as an 18 year-old.

Thinking about it now, it seems really weird to me that they went to the trouble to kill DeadScott in any fashion since, as many of you have already pointed out, there were zero repercussions for his good pal David. Scott wasn't a beloved character, and they could have just as easily come back from the summer season and discovered his family had returned to their home planet. Maybe there were contract issues in play with Douglas Emerson; maybe they needed to check 'gun safety' off their big list of issues to address. But bringing back a character of so little importance just to kill him off after 3 episodes really seems almost mean to both the character and the actor. 

• Love 2

I remember being incredibly disappointed with this episode when it originally aired because it really seemed (to me) like they were building up to DeadScott killing himself, and having him die in an accident instead struck me as a massive cop out. I apparently kept it very real as an 18 year-old.

Thinking about it now, it seems really weird to me that they went to the trouble to kill DeadScott in any fashion since, as many of you have already pointed out, there were zero repercussions for his good pal David. Scott wasn't a beloved character, and they could have just as easily come back from the summer season and discovered his family had returned to their home planet. Maybe there were contract issues in play with Douglas Emerson; maybe they needed to check 'gun safety' off their big list of issues to address. But bringing back a character of so little importance just to kill him off after 3 episodes really seems almost mean to both the character and the actor.

Ice always wondered about this too. I swear they could have just not renewed DE's contract for S2 and no one would have noticed. Sometimes I wonder if they just wanted to do a death episode and DE volunteered because he wanted to quit acting.

• Love 1

Apparently Douglas Emerson asked to be downgraded to a recurring character for season 2 and I guess it was a harbinger of him leaving the show. I'm pretty sure he did quit acting entirely after that. I guess maybe it wasn't what he expected it to be? It was his first role, wasn't it?

I love the epic stink eye Mrs. Scanlon gives Brandon and Emily when she catches them making out.

In Emily's defense, she at least has the decency to look mortified and ashamed...as opposed to Brandon's cheek-to-cheek- grin.

I think this is one of the classic, iconic episodes of the series.

One of my favorite bits, when David is ranting off to Brandon, is when he mentions how Scott "wasn't cool like you, Kelly, and Steve" (paraphrasing here) and damn, how sad is it that our gang in considered the barometer of what is cool at West Bev?

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

One of my favorite bits, when David is ranting off to Brandon, is when he mentions how Scott "wasn't cool like you, Kelly, and Steve" (paraphrasing here) and damn, how sad is it that our gang in considered the barometer of what is cool at West Bev?

I can kind of see how they were the cool kids. You have Kelly and Donna who are both blonde, skinny, rich. The mother Donna eventually ends up with is into the whole "high society" thing. Steve's mom is a famous actress and he and Kelly dated. He's on the track team, at least for one episode, and apparently that's where the cool kids are. Dylan's father is a criminal which is cool and he's rich with the bad boy vibe going on. What I can't figure out is how the Minnesota twin transplants ended up in the cool crowd. Of course, Andrea only sort of ended up in the group because of Brandon. It's a bit of a stretch, but I don't think it's crazy that they were the cool kids. 

On another note, they never really bring up the fact that David could've been killed. If the gun had gone off in the other direction then he would've been shot. I'm in transfusion medicine and based on how quickly a AAA (Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm) can bleed out, before someone hits the ground, if the bullet shredded that aorta then it's conceivable to die from a gut shot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Apparently Douglas Emerson asked to be downgraded to a recurring character for season 2 and I guess it was a harbinger of him leaving the show. I'm pretty sure he did quit acting entirely after that. I guess maybe it wasn't what he expected it to be? It was his first role, wasn't it?

Yeah asked him to stay because they wanted to do this story. Dude wanted out. He basically finished up here as a favor.
  • Love 3

I can kind of see how they were the cool kids. You have Kelly and Donna who are both blonde, skinny, rich. The mother Donna eventually ends up with is into the whole "high society" thing. Steve's mom is a famous actress and he and Kelly dated. He's on the track team, at least for one episode, and apparently that's where the cool kids are. Dylan's father is a criminal which is cool and he's rich with the bad boy vibe going on. What I can't figure out is how the Minnesota twin transplants ended up in the cool crowd. Of course, Andrea only sort of ended up in the group because of Brandon. It's a bit of a stretch, but I don't think it's crazy that they were the cool kids.

Well, Brenda and Brandon were sort of chosen by Kelly and Steve. Kelly chose Brenda because she didn't want to be stuck with the fat girl as her lab partner and for some reason, Steve sought out Brandon's friendship. What's strange is that Kelly and Steve kept dealing with both of their crap and kept their friendships with them. I don't know why Steve stayed friends with Brandon, he's pretty judgemental and Brenda is rude to pretty much everyone on this show. To me, that's a big wonder for how Kelly and Donna put up with her, from my memory of high-school and cliques and girls, the attitude Brenda has with them most episodes, she would have no friends. And once she started to date Dylan, that probably kept him in the group as well. And this point is reinforced somewhat when the summer of deception happens, Brenda doesn't hang around with the gang as much and when she does, it feels forced. 

I'm not really sure what Brandon has to offer either, but I think guys can deal with that more than girls or maybe his persona, the fact that the show wants us to think he is such a good guy with all his hero like tendencies that are more patronizing than anything else.  And I can see that since the show wants us to believe that these characters believe he's a good guy too. The show has had the characters praise him on more than once on how great he is.

This episode.. anyway. It wasn't that bad acting wise from BAG. He sold it pretty well, enough that I felt for David. I also can kind of get why he was mad that Kelly didn't come to the funeral, he probably felt like he needed her support or something. I don;t know, I felt for him. Andrea however , every time I see this episode, I'm like, "wow, have a heart or something", who was going to write an article and make the tragic death of a student a news story. The hell? 

• Love 3

I may he wrong, but I think that when streaming services get the rights to these series, they get the syndicated cuts. Those early cuts wouldn't have changed the music. They don't use the DVD cuts. For example, Friends on Netflix uses the syndicated cuts so the full episodes are not on there. The cuts that were made for TV commercial time are used. So, if they that type of deal for BH90210 and some of those episodes feature unchanged music from syndication that they can't use they just won't put it up. Quantum Leap has run into this issue for sure.

The earlier syndication deal they had on SoapNet had all the original music, while the current syndication on PopTV re-uses all the DVD crappy replacement music, except when it's impossible. And the "impossible" ones aren't available for streaming rights. (Or not affordable, more likely.) I wish one day they could release a box set with all the original music but it's not looking likely.

I can kind of see how they were the cool kids. You have Kelly and Donna who are both blonde, skinny, rich. The mother Donna eventually ends up with is into the whole "high society" thing. Steve's mom is a famous actress and he and Kelly dated. He's on the track team, at least for one episode, and apparently that's where the cool kids are. Dylan's father is a criminal which is cool and he's rich with the bad boy vibe going on. What I can't figure out is how the Minnesota twin transplants ended up in the cool crowd. 

Brenda and Brandon turned up partway through a school year, were fraternal twins, and were ridiculously, insanely good-looking. And past that, beyond the connections they made themselves, their parents were pretty much the hosts of the house for warmth and compassion for wayward children. It makes sense that they were "stars" at school to me. 

• Love 2

The earlier syndication deal they had on SoapNet had all the original music, while the current syndication on PopTV re-uses all the DVD crappy replacement music, except when it's impossible. And the "impossible" ones aren't available for streaming rights. (Or not affordable, more likely.) I wish one day they could release a box set with all the original music but it's not looking likely.

Brenda and Brandon turned up partway through a school year, were fraternal twins, and were ridiculously, insanely good-looking. And past that, beyond the connections they made themselves, their parents were pretty much the hosts of the house for warmth and compassion for wayward children. It makes sense that they were "stars" at school to me. 

Yeah, in regards to the syndication issue, that's what I was saying. If they only have the rights to the old syndicated package that say soapnet had then that creates a issue because not every song played is cleared for streaming. So, if they can't strike a deal, they just wont air it. They don't have the rights to the dvd-music edited packages.

Lets be real with the "cool kids" thing. They are the only people we spend time with and most of them were supposed to be with cool crowd before the twins got there so that's why they get name checked. The other people don't stick around enough for us to know them.

Yeah, in regards to the syndication issue, that's what I was saying. If they only have the rights to the old syndicated package that say soapnet had then that creates a issue because not every song played is cleared for streaming. So, if they can't strike a deal, they just wont air it. They don't have the rights to the dvd-music edited packages.

The streaming rights aren't the SoapNet package -- those all had the original music in every episode. The package Hulu has is the DVD edits minus any episodes without replacement music. (Also why we don't get Emily Valentine's intro episode since the songs were diegetic, but we get episodes that had iconic songs now replaced with the crappy DVD songs.) It's depressing.

I do love how these kids weren't just the coolest kids at school, they were the only ones who merited a spot in the big senior graduation video. It was also amazing how so many of their private, spontaneous moments were shot using with so many different angles by David!

I do love how these kids weren't just the coolest kids at school, they were the only ones who merited a spot in the big senior graduation video. It was also amazing how so many of their private, spontaneous moments were shot using with so many different angles by David!

That was ridiculous.

Memory is such a funny thing. If I'd been asked before listening to this podcast I would have said Dead Scott committed suicide. I remember what happens as you all are talking about it but have little or no recollection of it before that. I also have no recollection of Brandon being such a sanctimonious jerk with all that braying (thank goodness.)

Onward to Donna Martin Graduates!

• Love 1