Type keyword(s) to search

Maddie Brown: Seeking a One-Woman Man

Aethera
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I doubt he does any sitting around. It's a skilled trade, hands on.

It also takes more guts than I will ever have. I have no problem being in an elevator but the sight of an elevator shaft would send me running.

• Like 17
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

I doubt he does any sitting around. It's a skilled trade, hands on.

I hear what your saying but it's not like an auto mechanic with a steady stream of cars showing up for a zillion different repairs, or a plumber who is forever surrounded by the multiple toilets and sinks in almost every house/building.

So Caleb can only be hands on when he is in front of a broken elevator. If an elevator is 3 hours away, that equals 6 hours of sitting around.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Well Caleb has lost out on Meri’s elevator! Too bad, I think it might be in need of repair…not sure it goes all the way to the top.

*This joke would have worked better with Kody, but he and Robyn don’t have an elevator…well…unless Robyn asked God for one since He had to make up for denying her a rennal.  

• LOL 11

Maybe an elevator servicing fellow is like the HVAC people - We have a contract and they come twice a year to service and other times if we need them. Don't elevators need to have the thingy inside that they are in working order? I'll bet he stays busy enough 

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Maybe an elevator servicing fellow is like the HVAC people - We have a contract and they come twice a year to service and other times if we need them. Don't elevators need to have the thingy inside that they are in working order? I'll bet he stays busy enough 

That makes sense.  Maybe elevators have to have a maintenance schedule, and be tested regularly.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Cetacean said:

A lot of elevators in rural Montana are there?

Yeah, moving there doesn't really make sense, does it? Of course there are elevators in Montana or Wyoming, particularly in the slightly bigger towns, and those need to be serviced too but I seriously doubt you find many in the rural areas they seem to be considering. 

It could be that Caleb is already considering a career change and just wants to complete his training considering the time and effort he's put in it.  He wouldn't be the first to do so. Also if she is serious about livestock, she'll need  Caleb to be  more at home too.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

How much does an Elevator Mechanic Apprentice make in North Carolina? As of Jan 24, 2023, the average annual pay for an Elevator Mechanic Apprentice in North Carolina is $35,797 a year. Just in case you need a simple salary calculator, that works out to be approximately $17.21 an hour.

How much does an Elevator Technician make in Montana? The average Elevator Technician salary in Montana is $70,101 as of December 27, 2022, but the range typically falls between $57,301 and $85,401. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on the city and many other important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession.

• Useful 11
15 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

ust in case you need a simple salary calculator, that works out to be approximately $17.21 an hour.

Good thing they have plexus... (sarcasm intentional!)

Btw another of her answers was about school. She said she decided against nursing and is about half way finished for a biology degree. She decided against nursing because she was worried about schedules and hours. She thought a broad degree would be better so "I can choose later."

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Btw another of her answers was about school. She said she decided against nursing and is about half way finished for a biology degree. She decided against nursing because she was worried about schedules and hours. She thought a broad degree would be better so "I can choose later."

Schedules and hours? That's bonkers, a nursing degree has so many options, besides say, 12 hour shifts at a hospital with a mandatory stay order if the next shift is down staff. Many hospitals still offer three 8 hour shifts, and there's private practices to work at, nursing homes, mental health organizations, home care, schools, etc.

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I did some googling and found out that Elevator Technicians service elevators, escalators and all types of moving walkways.

They also build and install all of the above in new buildings and then do regular service calls to make sure they’re kept in good working order before any problems arise.

Its not a job for someone who has a fear of heights and you have to be comfortable climbing around in the shaft while having heavy gear and cables strapped to your body… it’s also a dirty job and most days you’re covered in sweat, grease, dirt and oil… it can be very humid and uncomfortable in the shaft during warm weather.

No thanks, they don’t pay enough. 👎

• Like 7
  • Useful 5
1 minute ago, Joan of Argh said:

Its not a job for someone who has a fear of heights and you have to be comfortable climbing around in the shaft while having heavy gear and cables strapped to your body… it’s also a dirty job and most days you’re covered in sweat, grease, dirt and oil… it can be very humid and uncomfortable in the shaft during warm weather.

Mike Rowe did a segment on Dirty Jobs and.....no way in hell.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

How much does an Elevator Mechanic Apprentice make in North Carolina? As of Jan 24, 2023, the average annual pay for an Elevator Mechanic Apprentice in North Carolina is $35,797 a year. Just in case you need a simple salary calculator, that works out to be approximately $17.21 an hour.

How much does an Elevator Technician make in Montana? The average Elevator Technician salary in Montana is $70,101 as of December 27, 2022, but the range typically falls between $57,301 and $85,401. Salary ranges can vary widely depending on the city and many other important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession.

There are no openings in Montana, and one in Wyoming (in Laramie).  Requires four years experience.  No mention of salary (Indeed suggests a range of $50K to $64K).  There's 35-acre parcels for sale for $44,000 50 miles away from Laramie, with no utilities or anything (and looking pretty damn barren, although it's close enough to a reservoir to not be desert).

I suspect that Maddie would want an already-built house like the Brown ranch; I don't think this is it (or that they could afford it if it were).

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
13 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Does Caleb inspect them too? I just can't imagine fixing elevators is a full time job other than in a place like NYC. You not only need lots of elevators, but you need lots of shitty ones.

They need primary maintenence. Depending on the business, they can get a ton of traffic. They're super expensive to replace. I've worked in several hospitals that were in old buildings. Mercy in SW Mo is the 3rd largest in the state. There are a bunch of hospitals in Raleigh Durham. They get good pay.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
7 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Mike Rowe did a segment on Dirty Jobs and.....no way in hell.

Thanks…. I had to check it out, they run into abandoned condoms, people having sex, people doing drugs and people pee in the elevators….. HELL NO!!!

Edited by Joan of Argh
Link
  • Mind Blown 5
  • LOL 4
19 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I did some googling and found out that Elevator Technicians service elevators, escalators and all types of moving walkways.

They also build and install all of the above in new buildings and then do regular service calls to make sure they’re kept in good working order before any problems arise.

No thanks, they don’t pay enough. 👎

My husband has been a traveling HVAC guy for 27 years. Elevators and elevator technology is everywhere, not just people moving. Lots of warehouses and factories etc plus military bases once security clearances are acquired.  It isn't just a job for high rise office buildings. The one joy of working a traveling job is that you can live off the beaten path as long as you have easy access to traveling.  The downside as a mother of young children is that your husband is gone most of the time.

And there are many many times that a three hour on site job brings 6 hours to 24 hours of travel. Depending if it is easy to get to, or even in another country. My husband was once on a job site in Iowa and they pulled him off the site, put him on a plane to Michigan.  The customer sent a car to the airport and took him straight to the site. He walked in the air handler and told them what the issue was inside 15 minutes even though they had lots of people trying to diagnose it for almost a year. After the shock wore off they took him out to lunch and put him back on a plane and he was back in Iowa for dinner that night.

• Like 9
  • Useful 8
6 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Are we snarking on Caleb for this job?  Because he travels?  His salary isn't enough?  Because they want to live in Montana? Because of Maddie and Plexus?  I'm confused!!!!

I don't believe this is snarking, just discussing the different aspects of the job and whether or not he can be gainfully employed in Montana or Wyoming without having to be away from home a lot.  It is unlikely they could homestead (if that's the aim) with a young family and his need to travel extensively.

• Like 14

I think that Maddie and Caleb are just talking about their long term goal for someday in the future.

I didn't take her comment to mean that they planned to move anytime soon or had any concrete plans at this point.

I think that it's nice that they have a long term goal. I hope that they can achieve it someday.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
59 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Typically Maddie I guess… She’s as clueless about what she wants and what it encompasses as she was 10 years ago. Clueless, or plain stupid. I haven’t decided on that one yet.  And if she does finish it, which I doubt, then what? She obviously still has no idea what comes after this. Her “so I can choose later” says it all. 

Maddie reminds me of Leon. Both had impressive ambitions which changed a number of times, and both went to several colleges doing whatever… Maddie never finished anything and there are reasons to suspect Leon didn’t either. And lastly, both are sort of working in whatever it is they’re doing , but it certainly has little to do with what they studied in college.

The only difference is that Maddie married young and tries to balance college or work with raising 2 and soon 3 young children. That’s not easy, I’ll give her that.

• Like 5
51 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Typically Maddie I guess… She’s as clueless about what she wants and what it encompasses as she was 10 years ago. Clueless, or plain stupid. I haven’t decided on that one yet.  And if she does finish it, which I doubt, then what? She obviously still has no idea what comes after this. Her “so I can choose later” says it all. 

Maddie reminds me of Leon. Both had impressive ambitions which changed a number of times, and both went to several colleges doing whatever… Maddie never finished anything and there are reasons to suspect Leon didn’t either. And lastly, both are sort of working in whatever it is they’re doing , but it certainly has little to do with what they studied in college.

The only difference is that Maddie married young and tries to balance college or work with raising 2 and soon 3 young children. That’s not easy, I’ll give her that.

Replied in the Leon Brown thread.

Perhaps one of Maddie's problems is that she feels some type of pressure to have a job outside the home, like her mom did when she was growing up, but she really wants to be a house mom, like Christine.  This pressure may be from external sources or internally, or both, I don't know.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
On 2/1/2023 at 6:18 PM, Tuxcat said:

That was a stupid decision if she’s looking for a broad degree and return on investment. If I could do things over, I’d have seen the versatility of a 2 year Associate degree in nursing - RN degree after passing boards. Coursework is super hard, but there’s such a variety of jobs, specialties, hours, etc for RNs and most areas are begging for nurses. Most have multiple offers before graduating, plus you’re making a valuable contribution to society with decent pay, and can go on up to the doctorate level.
Biology is 4 years and can be difficult to find anything related. 

• Like 9
On 2/3/2023 at 6:01 AM, Rabbit Hutch said:

Perhaps one of Maddie's problems is that she feels some type of pressure to have a job outside the home, like her mom did when she was growing up, but she really wants to be a house mom, like Christine.  This pressure may be from external sources or internally, or both, I don't know.  🤷‍♀️

I wonder if she feels pressure to SAY she's pursuing a career outside the home. If* she's constantly asked about college/career plans, she might feel uncomfortable or embarrassed saying she doesn't have those aspirations.  Maybe being a wife & mom is all she wants right now but she just doesn't have the confidence to say so publicly. 

*I say "if" because I honestly don't know.  All I know about the Brown kids is what's posted here. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, GeorgiaRai said:

I wonder if she feels pressure to SAY she's pursuing a career outside the home. If* she's constantly asked about college/career plans, she might feel uncomfortable or embarrassed saying she doesn't have those aspirations.  Maybe being a wife & mom is all she wants right now but she just doesn't have the confidence to say so publicly. 

*I say "if" because I honestly don't know.  All I know about the Brown kids is what's posted here. 

I suspect she would feel embarrassed quitting college prior to obtaining a degree and/or going to college and ending up with a degree that proves to be not so useful or one she'll never use.

If that's the case, its too bad - no shame in giving it a go and finding out college or a career is not for her.

Not saying it isn't snark worthy on these boards, especially because Maddie lacks humility often times, but in truth its nothing to be ashamed of.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2

My mother in law, multiple sisters in law, sister, several cousins are all nurses. All RNs, some bedside in hospitals, some part time, 2 nurse pracs and one in nurse anesthetist school. With the travel contracts, the bedside nurses are making more money than the NPs and basically choosing their hours, days, local or nationwide travel, etc.

Some went through 2 year RN, some started as LPN and transitioned to RN then BSN, then NP, some went straight through a 4 year BSN. But the thing all had in  common is that the coursework is really difficult, fast paced, strenuous, full of clinicals, and those who do not have the ability to work in a very structured environment and study quite a bit do not make it. The classes were fast paced, and either difficult concepts or easier material that had a lot small details.
I see the Brown kids, especially the ones who come off as thinking they are Very Important Snowflakes making it through anything like this. Maddie is one of them. I like her better than a lot of the kids, but she has some of the Janelle directness with a whole lot of Kody arrogance and smugness. Was she one of the home schoolers, too? I can see her struggling with any program that did not give a rats behind who her family is, how noble and unique they think their religion is, or how smart she is amongst her family. You’re going to stick to a schedule and do these inconveniently times clinicals like everyone else. You’re going to follow protocol and carry out orders from providers that work on science and evidence based practice, not essential oils and pink drink. You’re going to start off wiping butts and feeding Mamaw, not straight to rocket surgery. 
TLDR: a lot of people who don’t have discipline and struggle with classes don’t end up working in the medical field. It amazes me that the one brother made it through the Air Force Academy, but then again, he was never one of the splashy, smug kids.

• Like 11

Maybe Maddie liked the idea of being a nurse, but then realized that it required dealing with sick people and maybe her people skills are lacking or not her thing.  When I went through my divorce I had therapy with a wonderful social worker and when I went to social work school it was with the idea of doing that thing.  But, as I got into it, realized it wasn't for me to actually DO it, just HAVE it, so switched gears into program administration/research, etc. which was more of a fit for me.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I am prob too hard on Maddie not actually becoming a nurse, or a Supreme Court Justice, or a rocket scientist, etc. The Browns just irritate me with their grandiose plans that they never finish. They jump ship as soon as something gets hard or too expensive. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

My mother in law, multiple sisters in law, sister, several cousins are all nurses. All RNs, some bedside in hospitals, some part time, 2 nurse pracs and one in nurse anesthetist school. With the travel contracts, the bedside nurses are making more money than the NPs and basically choosing their hours, days, local or nationwide travel, etc.

Some went through 2 year RN, some started as LPN and transitioned to RN then BSN, then NP, some went straight through a 4 year BSN. But the thing all had in  common is that the coursework is really difficult, fast paced, strenuous, full of clinicals, and those who do not have the ability to work in a very structured environment and study quite a bit do not make it. The classes were fast paced, and either difficult concepts or easier material that had a lot small details.
I see the Brown kids, especially the ones who come off as thinking they are Very Important Snowflakes making it through anything like this. Maddie is one of them. I like her better than a lot of the kids, but she has some of the Janelle directness with a whole lot of Kody arrogance and smugness. Was she one of the home schoolers, too? I can see her struggling with any program that did not give a rats behind who her family is, how noble and unique they think their religion is, or how smart she is amongst her family. You’re going to stick to a schedule and do these inconveniently times clinicals like everyone else. You’re going to follow protocol and carry out orders from providers that work on science and evidence based practice, not essential oils and pink drink. You’re going to start off wiping butts and feeding Mamaw, not straight to rocket surgery. 
TLDR: a lot of people who don’t have discipline and struggle with classes don’t end up working in the medical field. It amazes me that the one brother made it through the Air Force Academy, but then again, he was never one of the splashy, smug kids.

Very true.  It's reminiscent of Janelle and Christine's brief foray into selling real (rill) estate.  After passing an exam, they were shocked by the thought that their specialness wouldn't exempt them from working weekends.  

Apparently, reality TV fed into their entitlement mindsets.  Maddie is just carrying on her mom's legacy.

• Like 11
5 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

For training for Rad Tech, I had taken prereqs at University before I started the 2yr program. We only got a total of 5 weeks off, (we did our clinicals and class at the hospital)  in 2 years. We were advised against getting married, because the strict regime and demands of the program could strain the relationship. STRONG talk about pregnancy, not only for the obvious- radiation, but for exposure to Hazmats, and sick people. 

My guess is that Maddie is taking online pre requisites. If she is? Good on her! She can do that at night.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
15 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Very true.  It's reminiscent of Janelle and Christine's brief foray into selling real (rill) estate.  After passing an exam, they were shocked by the thought that their specialness wouldn't exempt them from working weekends.  

Apparently, reality TV fed into their entitlement mindsets.  Maddie is just carrying on her mom's legacy.

Real estate is demanding. I worked with an archaeologist who was a real estate agent on the side and he was always taking phone calls in the field, leaving early to do a showing, it was non-stop. You want to sell the house, you answer the phone. It got in the way of fieldwork and was annoying at times  

Neither Janelle nor Christine had the chops for such a job long-term. 

• Like 10
19 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

It's reminiscent of Janelle and Christine's brief foray into selling real (rill) estate.  After passing an exam, they were shocked by the thought that their specialness wouldn't exempt them from working weekends.  

That was Christine who didn’t know it involved weekends. Janelle just wasn’t very good at it.

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

That was Christine who didn’t know it involved weekends. Janelle just wasn’t very good at it.

That is true!  Janelle wouldn't engage with the people that came to one of her few open houses.  She instead played with her phone.

It's too bad that now they are doing MLM plexcrap sales, along with daughter Maddie.  

• Like 9

So how does that work? Now that Maddie and her moms have made to the higher Plexus levels, is their income/positions/job secure? Like once a Plexus lady makes it past a certain point is it on the lowers levels to keep the recruits coming in? What are they actually doing?

Or maybe Plexus keeps them around for the exposure. I really don't get it at all.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

So how does that work? Now that Maddie and her moms have made to the higher Plexus levels, is their income/positions/job secure? Like once a Plexus lady makes it past a certain point is it on the lowers levels to keep the recruits coming in? What are they actually doing?

Or maybe Plexus keeps them around for the exposure. I really don't get it at all.

I don’t get it either. With all of the information out there about Plexus, and MLMs in particular, it’s really a mystery. Just like LuLaNo, so much information out there but  they’re shilling it anyway.

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I have never been involved with a MLM, but I think there is a snowball effect in play. They get credit for everything their recruits do as well as who their own recruits bring on board...and on and on it goes.

It probably costs pennies to produce the product, leaving lots of room to pay commissions ad infinitum.

Edited by Sandy W
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

I read separately that the diamond payout can be as high as $40K/month. That seems outrageously high. But if it is half that, and Janelle qualifies 6 months, she could be making $120K.  I hope that Janelle is saving as much as she can before it all implodes.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Useful 3
5 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

They continue be very high up. Here is last week's leaderboard at Plexus.

https://recognition.plexusworldwide.com/spotlights/weekly-leaders

Both Janelle and Maddie get 1% of Plexus total commision pool every month they maintain their diamond status.

2022%20Comp%20Plan%20Summary%20Chart.pdf

Molly Hopkins from 90 Day Fiance is right up there too!

Maybe Maddie and hubby aren't counting on only the elevator job for the move out West.  Maybe Maddies s squirling her money away for the big move!

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

If Maddie really earned anywhere close to that ridiculous 40k a month, then why on earth is she driving herself absolutely crazy with running a young family, being heavily pregnant and doing college next to a very rewarding job??  Such a huge monthly income would set up a young family for life if you're able to maintain this for a few years. Maddie certainly doesn't look like someone spending 1000's a month. If anything, she seems to be leading a rather modest lifestyle.  So hopefully, if she's making that much, she is investing it wisely or saving properly.

Unless of course, there is a catch? Are the numbers mentioned actual bonuses? Or is it merely to be seen as monthly turnover from which all expenses (including the product itself) need to be deducted? In such cases, the 40k could quickly dwindle to only a couple of thousand dollars. (Lots of MLM's force their consultants to heavily 'invest' in their products on a monthly basis) And then there's the matter of taxes of course.... 

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, LilyD said:

If Maddie really earned anywhere close to that ridiculous 40k a month, then why on earth is she driving herself absolutely crazy with running a young family, being heavily pregnant and doing college next to a very rewarding job??  Such a huge monthly income would set up a young family for life if you're able to maintain this for a few years. Maddie certainly doesn't look like someone spending 1000's a month. If anything, she seems to be leading a rather modest lifestyle.  So hopefully, if she's making that much, she is investing it wisely or saving properly.

Unless of course, there is a catch? Are the numbers mentioned actual bonuses? Or is it merely to be seen as monthly turnover from which all expenses (including the product itself) need to be deducted? In such cases, the 40k could quickly dwindle to only a couple of thousand dollars. (Lots of MLM's force their consultants to heavily 'invest' in their products on a monthly basis) And then there's the matter of taxes of course.... 

And Janelle too. It seems to me she would have no problem buying a house and qualifying for a loan to build on CP with that kind of income, which is the reason she gave for wanting to rent right now.

• Like 7

I don't see how Maddie will complete a biology degree with 3 kids and a household to run.  She may be able to take prereqs on line, but eventually she will have to take courses that require time in the lab.  I majored in chemistry and the biology majors had to take organic chemistry as part of their coursework.  It was always a running joke that the bio majors were a menace in the lab.  They always seemed to have odd mishaps or do something scary like forgetting to vent their distillation apparatus which sent a very large expensive flask flying across the lab one day.  Either way, labs took up a lot of time and given all things, I just don't see Maddie doing that.  If she is happy being a SAHM and selling pink poison, that's fine.  They seem to be doing OK and I don't think they're on the edge of disaster like Mykelti and Tony because they don't spend as lavishly.

• Like 8
27 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I think it is wise to live somewhat under one's means, if it is at all possible.  Hopefully most of the Brown kids are doing that.

Considering they had parents that seemed to live by serial overspending and then declaring bankruptcy, I suspect many are not.  But I'd be happy to be wrong.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Meow Mix said:

I don't see how Maddie will complete a biology degree with 3 kids and a household to run.  She may be able to take prereqs on line, but eventually she will have to take courses that require time in the lab.  I majored in chemistry and the biology majors had to take organic chemistry as part of their coursework.  It was always a running joke that the bio majors were a menace in the lab.  They always seemed to have odd mishaps or do something scary like forgetting to vent their distillation apparatus which sent a very large expensive flask flying across the lab one day.  Either way, labs took up a lot of time and given all things, I just don't see Maddie doing that.  If she is happy being a SAHM and selling pink poison, that's fine.  They seem to be doing OK and I don't think they're on the edge of disaster like Mykelti and Tony because they don't spend as lavishly.

Ex University bio advisor here!  Gen chem labs your 1st year, intro bio labs your second year in addition to Ochem labs and physics labs.  Whenever we would see a student struggling with time management, they would end up getting married, having a kid and decide it is a great time to commute in addition to a class schedule they already had struggles dealing with.  So they pulled a Maddie.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1