Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Haunted House

As Halloween approaches, Chanel creates a devious plan after Zayday makes a shocking announcement. Meanwhile Grace and Pete pay a visit to a mysterious woman with ties to Kappa's past. Also, Hester grows closer to Chad, Denise continues her search for the red devil killer and Dean Munsch does everything in her power to keep Wallace University open.

I don't care what the rest of the episode was about, Chanel-O-Ween being a dead-on Taylor Swift parody was amazing and genius.

I think most people called Gigi being involved with the baby, which at least shows that the clues are going to make sense in at least some context of the show.

Edited by BloggerAloud
  • Love 5

This episode had a better mix of horror and comedy to me. It's still set in this land of make believe, but I'm not bored yet.

And Coney still gets no reaction. I guess double arm amputee is a Monty Python character.

The blond lead is still completely bland.

• Love 2

This show is my guilty pleasure. Sometimes it doesn't make a lick of sense, sometimes it's brilliant, sometimes it pushes the boundaries in interesting directions that you watch to see just where the heck it's going.

Denise, ZayDay, and Chad continue to be the MVPs for me.

Denise sleuthing hard core and on a mission to avenge Shondell is great. Just hope she don't stumble into the killer and get whacked.

Chad being a horny, creepy douche and yet he never left Hester behind when escaping the dead body house and he does have a brain in that head to suss out when things ain't right. That scene at the cemetery though ::dies::

ZayDay and Earl Grey making moves to be the new Greek Power Couple is great. ZayDay laying it out first to Chanel and then Denise (LOVED the reveal of Denise wanting to be a Kappa as opposed to Omicron, Omicron, Omicron).

We need Boone back. I want some answers. And for him to reunite with his bro Chad.

Edited to add: Denise even made Pete interesting in their 'library' scene. Great timing pulling that off.

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 8

That was a great Matthew McConaughey impression, I will say.

Watching Glee for most of its run has caused me to have an allergic reaction any time a Ryan Murphy show tries to talk about feminism, given the sexism that permeated almost every facet of that show's writing for most of its run.

• Love 3

Hester wanting to bone Chad the biggest Douche on the show and someone I want to die along with Chanel moved her into that list for me. When is this show gonna kill someone from the main cast? I got giddy at the thought of Chad or Hester dying but of course not. Loving the Soundtrack and wondering if Gigi is the killer or just the one who looked after Bathtub baby. What was up with Grace thinking she might be bathtub baby? She's not 20 years old

• Love 1

Denise, Chad, Hester and Zayday are the MVP.   Pete wasn't as boring but him and Grace are boring together.  

Zayday should be the main protagonist  not Grace.  Denise her main antagonist and Chad and Hester thrown in just for wacky fun.

I do like that Wes continues his film appreciate class with a bunch of psycho babble about horror movies.

• Love 2

The opening Taylor Swift parody was the best ever.And I like Taylor-I do, judge me. Everything after that, like most of my reactions with this show are, meh. I don't hate this but I don't love it. I'm not even sure if I like it. It's just kind of..there. Am I invested in it, well, no not really but I don't think I need to be and that's okay. Sometimes a show is just on and it entertains me and that's fine. Aside from that, like I've said, a few times, it does borderline on trying too hard to be..something. Like Hester and Chad's whole thing, really, Ryan Murphy, I know you think you are edgy and dark but, well, stop trying so hard.  

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3

Chad Radwell just might be the most delicious character Murphy & Co. have ever created. So dim, so very wrong, so venal (and yet everyone wants to do him). He is the amalgam of every vapid legacy fratboy ever put to film. I am also loving Lea Michele's take on what amounts to a necrophiliac Eve Harrington. They're made for each other.

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 6

I would like for Ryan Murphy to find a way to put Chad Radwell and Denise Hemphill in every one of his shows from now on. Better yet, spin them off into some kind of weird procedural.

I heard Glen Powell being interviewed on the radio a while back. Very quick witted and naturally funny.

• Love 2

Paused and transcribed the flyers:

The End Is Near

Everyone must know that Zayday Williams is a Bruja (Dirty Mexican Witch). Her haunted house is just a vat of boiling water so she can collect your skulls and coat them in sugar. Do not go!

Death is Upon You

Do not go to that hoodrat haunted house you will get mugged and killed. And Die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You Will Die

Let it be known that Zayday Williams practices voodoo and her haunted house is just a trap to kill you and skin you for black magic. Do not go to her haunted house!

• Love 4

I actually liked this episode. It felt like they're getting a handle on the tone at least. Nothing was overly jarring here.

The opening sequence with Chanel handing out gifts was amusing and I even liked the Chanels beating up the frat boys in this one.

Zayday wanting to run for president got her kidnapped by the Red Devil it seems. At least they explained Denise's issues with her in this one.

Grace and Pete are getting weaker per episode. Chad and Hester surprisingly better.

Not too bothered about Cathy and Wes but thanks to the last scene, Gigi's gotten more interesting though, 8/10

This episode seemed the most engaging yet.   Of course, I was on cold meds so that may have influenced me a bit.

The only flat scene was the one with Grace and her Dad.   "You were born in a hospital.  I was there.  I saw you come out of your mother."   Who says that?  And "If you turn out to be the serial killer, I will never speak to you again."  

But the rest was funny and screamy.   And now we know were all the dead bodies went.

• Love 1

I'm really enjoying the show. It's insane but it's fun and silly. Chanel #1 is getting better. I love Hester and Chad. They are both ridiculously over the top but Lea Michele and Glen Powell are both doing a great job with them.

I thought this was the strongest episode so far. I thought the creepiness and the humor were nicely balanced.

I think Grace and Pete ,grace in particular, are still the weak spots. If either or both of them are victims of the red devil soon I won't be sad. I don't think it's going to happen. I don't know why Grace would think that she was the bathtub baby. Its been established that she is a freshman.Even without the documents wouldn't she know if she was two years older?

Paused and transcribed the flyers:

The End Is Near

Everyone must know that Zayday Williams is a Bruja (Dirty Mexican Witch). Her haunted house is just a vat of boiling water so she can collect your skulls and coat them in sugar. Do not go!

Death is Upon You

Do not go to that hoodrat haunted house you will get mugged and killed. And Die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You Will Die

Let it be known that Zayday Williams practices voodoo and her haunted house is just a trap to kill you and skin you for black magic. Do not go to her haunted house!

Thanks, those are pretty funny and creative.

• Love 2
The opening Taylor Swift parody was the best ever.And I like Taylor-I do, judge me. Everything after that, like most of my reactions with this show are, meh. I don't hate this but I don't love it. I'm not even sure if I like it. It's just kind of..there. Am I invested in it, well, no not really but I don't think I need to be and that's okay. Sometimes a show is just on and it entertains me and that's fine. Aside from that, like I've said, a few times, it does borderline on trying too hard to be..something. Like Hester and Chad's whole thing, really, Ryan Murphy, I know you think you are edgy and dark but, well, stop trying so hard.

THIS! ^^ post is everything!  I LURVED the opening sequence and a few parts of the show but for the most part I just found myself waiting for something interesting to happen.  But kudos to the Leprechaun movie playing--an over looked horror movie.

Chanel-O-Ween being a dead-on Taylor Swift parody was amazing and genius.

Oh . . . is that what it was? How so? I was lost and had no idea what any of that meant, it went right over my head. I thought maybe it was supposed to be a dream sequence or something because I couldn't figure out why Chanel would have all these online fans she'd obviously consider "losers," let alone gift them with Halloween stuff.

• Love 3

Oh . . . is that what it was? How so? I was lost and had no idea what any of that meant, it went right over my head. I thought maybe it was supposed to be a dream sequence or something because I couldn't figure out why Chanel would have all these online fans she'd obviously consider "losers," let alone gift them with Halloween stuff.

Taylor Swift did this thing last year called "Swiftmas" where she delivered Christmas gifts to some of her biggest fans. Chanel-o-ween was a play on that. And it doesn't surprise me that Chanel has so many Instagram followers- like she herself said, she's rich and pretty, and those "dumpy" girls probably live vicariously through her. Edited by mack6986
  • Love 4

I definitely enjoyed this episode much more than last week's. I'm not a Lea Michelle fan, but she is winning me over as Hester, especially in her scenes with Chad. They, and Niecy Nash, are real standouts. And the Taylor Swift parody was amazing.

Of course, I'm also not an Oliver Hudson fan, and that still holds true.

• Love 1

Okay so GiGi is the girl that was holding the baby in the bathroom scene

JLC took the baby away and gave her to Wes knowing he was the father

It's conceivable Wes started her in school at 7 instead of 5 and gave her a bogus birth date-  and if she is bathtub baby doubt they ever did a birth certificate because storyline

GiGi never took care of the baby at Shady Lane - but was grieving

** it seems too obvious that Grace is the bathtub baby - it was kind of telegraphed from the first episode with her dead mom being a Kappa

• Love 1

Taylor Swift did this thing last year called "Swiftmas" where she delivered Christmas gifts to some of her biggest fans. Chanel-o-ween was a play on that. And it doesn't surprise me that Chanel has so many Instagram followers- like she herself said, she's rich and pretty, and those "dumpy" girls probably live vicariously through her.

I've seen her video, it's scarily very accurate as a parody.

I was confused, as well. Taylor Swift does that? 

The Taylor Swift parody had me dead because what Chanel said about using those girls for her own personal gain is pretty much what Taylor herself did. So accurate. Loved it. 

The part about personal gain made me laugh, too, because it reminded me of anyone who does giveaways on TV or online, when they're trying to sell something, or gain new followers/book sales/viewers, etc. 

Loved the Matt McConaughey impression and Grace dressed as Oliver Hudson's sister. 

Oh, is that why they did How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days? I thought it was a weird movie, but I forgot about the Hudson connection.

Not being a Taylor Swift fan I didn't know the connection either, but thought the opening sequence was very funny anyway. Now that I know about "Swiftmas" it elevated the sequence to genius. Ah the crazy minds that gave us Glee. Every once in a while you just shine.

While Lea was on Glee it crossed my mind that it would be awesome if Barbra Striesand did a remake of All About Eve with herself as Margo Chaning and Lea Michele as Eve Harrington. This ep confirmed Lea would make an awesome Eve Harrington.

I figured the bathtub baby thing was what froze Gigi in the 90's so I'm not surprised she's the Hag but I enjoyed it anyway.

While I don't expect Ryan Murphy to show us feminism well or for very long (example-I expect Chanel to beg Chad to validate her again very very soon) I still appreciated he put in the cafeteria scene not only for the beating up of the jock jerk (I'm actually not totally behind that because I thought they resorted to violence un-necessarily. I would have preferred the Chanels eviscerate him verbally. ) but mostly because Chanel decided not to eat cotton balls or influence the others to eat cotton balls. While Murphy likes to use eating disorders in comedies at least he brought it up as something crazy that girls shouldn't be influenced to do. And the reality is that some girls ARE talked into doing crazy things to be popular or skinny or both, so I don't object to it being brought up.

I'm hoping the last standing Kappas wind up banding together to stop the Red Devil so this scene has resonance.

I'm enjoying the show and really that is enough. IF it winds up making sense in the end it will be gravy.

Questions I have up to this point that could possibly be clues to who the killer and/or the bathtub baby is
Question #1: The old KKT president, Melanie, was never said to actually have died from the burns, is it possible she is seeking revenge?
Question #2: How was the red devil able to collect all those bodies (obviously ms.bean and chanel #2 he already had) to put in the haunted house? wouldn't Shondell and Coney be at the morgue and cleaned up rather than still in their clothes from when they were murdered? Also why was deaf taylor swift not in the haunted house?
Question #3: Wouldn't it be way too obvious if Boone is one of the killers at this point? We saw him fake his death in the first episode
Question #4: When Grace and Pete were visiting Mandy she was talking about the other girls with her that night and mentioned something along the lines of "1 of them killer herself, 1 of them ended up in a mental institution and 1 of them is actually successful on Fox News" Could the successful one have anything to do with Chanel (making her the bathtub baby?)
Question #5: Sofia, the girl who died that night in the bathtub said she didn't even know she was pregnant, if she didn't know then how would the baby daddy know? (so why does everybody automatically assume Wes is the baby daddy?)

Just a couple of my questions/theories, I am absolutely obsessed with this show and I hope they go onto make a second season

• Love 2

My guess is that Gigi is the one that was institutionalized. I think she had a nervous breakdown when Munch took the baby away and became the Hag, her family probably had her committed because of the weirdness with the dolls and probably depression, and then when she got better she came back to the college but continued to have periods of decompensation and being the Hag. However I don't think she's the killer (or one of the killers since I think there are at least two. ) I think she's too obvious.

I like the idea that Chanel is the bathtub baby. Hope you are right about that.

Forgot about deaf Taylor Swift but since you brought her up I guess THAT body was turned over to the police and went tot he proper morgue and not left around where any wackadoo can take it for jaunts around the campus. IIRC the bodies of Coney Shondell Mrs Bean Mandy were NOT handed over to the police. So the killer/killers could have taken the bodies from the crime scene , the meat locker etc. The one I have trouble justifying is how could Boone fake his death. That "body" was found not hidden. They had a memorial so the police were involved. How could the police not know he was alive and how come nobody has mentioned his "body's" disapearnce? Was not that a morgue he was put in? You can't jus walk away from that.

• Love 2

My guess is that Gigi is the one that was institutionalized. I think she had a nervous breakdown when Munch took the baby away and became the Hag, her family probably had her committed because of the weirdness with the dolls and probably depression, and then when she got better she came back to the college but continued to have periods of decompensation and being the Hag. However I don't think she's the killer (or one of the killers since I think there are at least two. ) I think she's too obvious.

I like the idea that Chanel is the bathtub baby. Hope you are right about that.

Forgot about deaf Taylor Swift but since you brought her up I guess THAT body was turned over to the police and went tot he proper morgue and not left around where any wackadoo can take it for jaunts around the campus. IIRC the bodies of Coney Shondell Mrs Bean Mandy were NOT handed over to the police. So the killer/killers could have taken the bodies from the crime scene , the meat locker etc. The one I have trouble justifying is how could Boone fake his death. That "body" was found not hidden. They had a memorial so the police were involved. How could the police not know he was alive and how come nobody has mentioned his "body's" disapearnce? Was not that a morgue he was put in? You can't jus walk away from that.

I have a feeling we're going to have to 'fanwank' a lot of this show because not a lot of it works in a logical (or even semi-logical) sense.

• Love 1

True, but like I said, with Coney, Mrs Bean Shondell and Mandy there is a legitimate out. The bodies weren't in the custody of the police until now. As for Boone I can SORT OF fan wank that, IF the cop we were shown is in on it. I think he might be because of the way he was way too nice to Munch. He didn't even really question her and he's kind of lacksadaisicle about investigating a series of murders. At this point the show may not be as illogical as we think. Then again Glee was the poster child for illogic so who knows.

• Love 1

Actually this is reminding me a lot of Harper's Island.   A very bad slasher flick that you watched to the end anway.   It was fairly obvious who the killer had to be, not the case here.   But here we have lots of loose ends that we just know are not going to get tied up.    But whatever.   It's mindless entertainment on a Tuesday night.

Hester and Chad were hilarious this episode. Those two are definitely my favorite characters, along with Denise. Chanel-o-ween was pretty funny, but as a whole the Chanels are just too boring for me. Not sure if it's the acting or just how the characters are written, but the girls come across as so blah. I hope the addition of Miss Neckbrace, Hester, starts to liven up the group.

I'm thinking Zayday's kidnapping was either by a Chanel dressed as the red devil, or maybe even Boone. Girl should have carried her chainsaw to the haunted house.

Actually this is reminding me a lot of Harper's Island. A very bad slasher flick that you watched to the end anway. It was fairly obvious who the killer had to be, not the case here. But here we have lots of loose ends that we just know are not going to get tied up. But whatever. It's mindless entertainment on a Tuesday night.

Ah, I loved Harper's Island. I was disappointed by the ending, but I really enjoyed everything else. I actually cared about some of those characters, though - namely Trish, Cal, Chloe, and Sully - which isn't the case here yet.

I do think this was the best episode so far. As others have said, they seem to have gotten the horror/comedy tone right.

Can I just say how much I loved that Mandy was watching Leprechaun? Not even kidding, it's one of my favorite movies.

Edited by mack6986
  • Love 1

I think Chanel #1 is the baby. I'm sure it isn't Grace. Next guess is #5. Something is definitely up with #5. Right now I still think she's one of the killers.

I'm positive that one of the Chanels is in on it because of the manner of #2's death. #2 cooked her goose by saying she wouldn't go along with the secret. She said she wouldn't be able to keep quiet and I think that's when one of the Chanels sent a text to the other killer. I lean towards it being #5 because she seems the most upset about the pledges and she seemed very jitterywhen she realized that Grace was snooping.

#3 is my favorite Chanel. I don't get why she's interested in being in the sorority anyway. She seems too smart to want to stay and she doesn't seem as mean as the others.

Niecey continues to be the best reason to watch the show. Love that she is being integrated into the show more. I'm praying this is not a set-up for her to become one of the victims.

Emma continues to be a reason to stop watching the show. She is so bad.

The actress who plays Grace is even worse as she is both bad and boring.

Zay kidnapped but not killed, why?

• Love 3

I think one of the Chanels has to be the killer, just because.

Well, Pete got funny this episode, with his McConaughey impression, and his repetition with Denise.

Ah, Grace continues to accuse people without much evidence. I love it. I hope next time, she accuses one of the Chanels. But now, everyone is starting to do it. 

The beginning was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing.

I'm torn about the cafeteria scene. If this wasn't Ryan Murphy, I think I would have liked it more. I liked the friendship there, but it felt too heavy handled, much like Ryan's work all the time.

Chad and Hester were hilarious. Those two would surprisingly make an interesting and possibly fun couple.

So, Zayday is kidnapped. It has to be the work of Chanel #1, right? Red Devil doesn't just kidnap people.

So, Gigi is the Hag? Ok, I can see that. I guess that possibly eliminates her as the Red Devil.

The one thing this show is doing well is accusing so many characters that it will turn out to be shocking when the reveal happens, as well as throwing clues that could legitimately lead to the baby or the Red Devil.

I think one of the Chanels has to be the killer, just because.

It'll be Chanel #4, who everyone thinks died of meningitis. She faked her own death to kill them all!

• Love 1

Niecy Nash continues to steal this show every week. That scene with her and Keke was the best part. It cracks me up every time that both she (in the third person) and other characters ONLY refer to her by both her first and last name.

• Love 5