Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

Happy Thanksgiving, Cameron.  Can't wait to see which bombs you're going to drop for Christmas!

Sonny seems kind of befuddled by Daisy.  Carly would have run a background check by now. 

Sam: "Oh, to hell with my precious children, Alexis is here, she can deal with them.  Snuggle with meeee, Jay-son."

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Sam: "Oh, to hell with my precious children, Alexis is here, she can deal with them.  Snuggle with meeee, Jay-son."

Her precious miracle babies that she now pawns off on Monica every chance she gets.  So I guess Alexis is just supposed to get Danny ready, get Scout ready, get Scout's bag and then leave without even seeing Sam.  Mother of the Year that one!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

And Spencer is one to call Cam a mess. Ugh.

I kinda like that they still hate each other lol. I'm guessing not everything was totally retconned when they aged Cam and Joss a bit.

• Love 2

Ava's a complete skank. All she ever does is hook up with other people's men. First her own daughter's boyfriend so many times, Paul with Tracy, and now Laura's HUSBAND (yes, I know it's really Ryan, but she certainly doesn't).

Edited by Harria06
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, teenj12 said:
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

And Spencer is one to call Cam a mess. Ugh.

I kinda like that they still hate each other lol. I'm guessing not everything was totally retconned when they aged Cam and Joss a bit.

I don't mind that Cam and Spencer don't get along, just that Spencer is allowed to pronounce from the mountaintop with no self-awareness whatsoever. I really hate that little turd, in case it wasn't obvious. Heh.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Perkie said:

Kudos to Eden McCoy.   Considering her age, I thought she did a good job with Joss finding out about Oscar's sickness.  I also thought the kid playing Cameron did a good job, first with being forced to tell her the truth and then playing the fine line between anger at Oscar for putting him in that position and sort of begging Joss to see his side of it.  Considering their ages, I thought they both did a decent job there.  

Unintentionally ironic line of the day (?)

Ava:  .....you ripped my baby from my womb

Nina: ....psychotic break.  You don't see me still trolling maternity wards looking for babies

Me:  Well, only because Curtis would stop you.  Until she found out about Sasha she was still talking about trying to have a baby, despite her menopausal state, so don't make it sound like you've been cured of the baby rabies for years.  

Is it wrong that I think Ryan and Ava are HAWT and I feel bad that it won't build to anything.  Loved the soapyness of Laura walking in on their kiss.  

I;m pretty sure they're trying to do a Scientology/cult type thing.  

I am with you on the Ryan/Ava are hot thing. 2nr10ty.gif

Edited by Ryan Chamberlain
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Ladybyrd said:

Side note, but does anyone remember that Halloween masquerade that lasted aired over entire month, culminating in Emily's death?  Then at the end of literally four weeks of Halloween it was suddenly Thanksgiving  the next day, and the Qs gathered for an astonishingly depressing pizza.

They did that a little bit this year.  Halloween/Oct 31st/Maxie's bday/bobbing for apple heads lasted at least at week.  Then "the next day" was November 7th for the mayor election and people were talking about the Halloween stuff "yesterday".  So they skipped over Nov 1-6th, which is interesting because Joss' birthday is Nov 3rd.  and Avery's is Nov 4th but neither was mentioned.  

8 hours ago, Harria06 said:

Ava's a complete skank. All she ever does is hook up with other people's men.

In Ava's defence, Ryan's been chasing her down, professing his feelings to her, kissing her.  None of it has come from Ava's side, she even offered what seemed like sincere condolences on his marriage.  

8 hours ago, Harria06 said:

Ava's a complete skank. All she ever does is hook up with other people's men. First her own daughter's boyfriend so many times, Paul with Tracy, and now Laura's HUSBAND (yes, I know it's really Ryan, but she certainly doesn't).

I don't like Ava, but I mean... Ryan's the one who kissed her. And like Perkie was saying, she's being pursued by him, a dangerous serial killer. The Morgan stuff was an isolated incident (okay, series of incidents) where she was actively helping him cheat on Kiki (but let's not forget that Morgan was the one in the relationship). I do remember Tracy walking in on Paul and Ava, but I'm not sure how "together" Paul and Tracy were. 

• Love 1

I forgot to mention that I laughed when Nina made the "I've got my eye on you" sign and said "I've got my eye on you" to Willow when Nina got kicked out of the parent-teacher meeting. Kind of takes away some of the menace of the gesture when you have to explain it.

The writing for Nina is often terrible, but sometimes she really cracks me up, and I think MSt is having a good time playing her.

Edited by dubbel zout
context
  • Love 4
I thought Joss demonstrated today that she was truly Carly's daughter: (paraphrase) What about Meeeeeeee? I don't care that you promised Oscar to keep his secret; you should have told Meeeeee! 

My guess is that Cam becomes Joss' version of Jason.

Catching up on episodes. Sam looked more engaged in her scenes with BM just sitting on the bench, then she did with SBu in all their scenes combined. I was once a JaSam fan, but that ship has sailed. The chemistry is gone and it's painful to watch them try to recreate (drag out) a "love" that is past its expiration date.  Let Jason be Sonny and Carly's whipping boy - that's where he seems happiest.

• Love 6

Even in an episode purporting to be all about Sonny and Carly, we get plenty of other characters. Taggart! (Be still my heart.) Shouty McYellerson and ConManFishTacoStephenMartines! Baby Elizabeth! Baby Juan! Crumb-catcher Ned! (Oh, '90s! You so funny.) Twinkly Edward! OG Emily!  The redheaded menace! (LOL at how he ignored Carly and Sonny.) Zander! (Be still my heart again.) Billy Warlock AJ! (For once, he's treated somewhat decently.)

• Love 4

I thought the Q's pizza gimmick was cute maybe the first or second time, but it became tired when the ultra-rich Quartermaines with a full staff are unable to eat turkey and forced to eat pizza each year.

Anyway, I saw the last minute, and every cast member seemed to be in today's show.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, nilyank said:

I thought the Q's pizza gimmick was cute maybe the first or second time, but it became tired when the ultra-rich Quartermaines with a full staff are unable to eat turkey and forced to eat pizza each year.

I don't mind the running joke, but at this point I wish pizza became the desired dinner instead of the fallback because Cook is angry or whatever. That part of it got old for me after about the third year.

• Love 3

Delighted to see Bobby and Tony and Edward and Lila and Alan and Emily!

Tickled by Ned with soul patch!

And forever cackling  at frosted-tips-Lucky and Stephen Coltin Scott Martinez as Nik.

Also, random reminder than Reginald the Butler is now married to Piper Perabo IRL. 

Edited by Ladybyrd
  • Love 2

So much to love about the 2000 episode. I'll just add that pre-botox MB playing a Sonny that was only The Most Powerful Mobster This Side of Spoon Island with SJB!Carly was not watchable, it was fun. And AJ saved the day with the pizza.

So many dead characters, so many deceased actors, and when Michael was the only spawn.

Compared to 2017 (which redeemed itself with the wonderful filling of the Q Mansion at the end), and 2016 (when oh poor lonely Sonny which we all thought he killed Morgan, for a moment....), which we binged as well.

Edited by NutmegsDad
Wrong years
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

Did anyone else notice that 20 years ago the cast was much more diverse than it is now? 

Claire Labine and Wendy Riche made a great effort to incorporate more diversity and bring the show into the 90s. Guza took the show 10 steps back in this regard. 

• Love 5

Wow, 18 years really changes people ...including me! I couldn't remember any of the storylines going at that time on except that Lucky came back from Helena's kidnapping a blonde.  Mo having chemistry with SJB reminded me how he really has ZERO romantic chemistry with LW. 

Bobby looked beautiful. RH, NLG and KW win the ageless and/or good plastic surgeon awards. Funny how NLG and KW still have the exact same hair!  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Claire Labine and Wendy Riche made a great effort to incorporate more diversity and bring the show into the 90s. Guza took the show 10 steps back in this regard. 

Claire Labine was HW from 1993-1996. Guza was the HW for this episode from 2000. I agree with you, though; I guess it was Riche's firing in early 2001 that signaled a departure from diversity on this show. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

Great throwback episode yesterday...

I couldn't believe how sweet and pretty Bobbie looked...

I thought Elizabeth looked gorgeous in her shorter hair and sleeveless turtleneck

and it was  funny seeing Marissa Ramirez as Gia because for me she's Baez on Blue Bloods ! Never watched her as Gia ...

And I'll grudgingly admit that MB looked kind of handsome yesterday....😏

• Love 2

That was a fun flashback Thanksgiving episode.  I didn't watch at the time.  So some things confused me.

1. AJ seemed to be a good guy at that time, showing up with pizzas, and everyone seemed happy about it.  Didn't they already hate him then?
  2. Where was Jason?  I assumed from things I have read and heard that he was a big part of the Carson family.
  3. The pizza at Thanksgiving thing has really been around that long?  Longer, I guess, since it was already a given in this episode.
  4. Who was the family that Gia belonged to?
  5. Who was the young woman that was Roy's daughter?
  6. Why did JZ destroy her beautiful face?
  7. Why does everyone think NLG is a great actress?
Edited by bannana
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, bannana said:

That was a fun flashback Thanksgiving episode.  I didn't watch at the time.  So some things confused me.

1. AJ seemed to be a good guy at that time, showing up with pizzas, and everyone seemed happy about it.  Didn't they already hate him then?
  2. Where was Jason?  I assumed from things I have read and heard that he was a big part of the Carson family.
  3. The pizza at Thanksgiving thing has really been around that long?  Longer, I guess, since it was already a given in this episode.
  4. Who was the family that Gia belonged to?
  5. Who was the young woman that was Roy's daughter?
  6. Why did JZ destroy her beautiful face?
  7. Why does everyone think NKG is a great actress?

1. AJ was still being written as screw-up but he was given a few wins in the face of many losses he will experience.

2.  Jason left town because he was afraid Carly would commit more crazy schemes to get together with him and thought if he left AJ and Carly would get a chance to be parents to Michael. In real life, SB left for 3 years to try his luck in Hollywood.

3. Longer. It has been a thing for a while when this episode was done

4. Gia was Detective Taggert's sister and Florence's daughter. Taggert came to town to destroy Sonny because he believed that Sonny was responsible for getting his mentor and hero killed. That would be Deke.  He had no idea that Deke abused his wife and stepson and in fact believed that Sonny was responsible for the beatings of his mother Adella. Interesting note, Mike knew Florence from the old neighborhood and their were hints that they were more than friends. They were laying the possible groundwork for Gia to turn out to be Sonny's secret sister. Instead we got Courtney about a year or so later.

5. Ugh. Hannah. FBI agent who sent to infiltrate Sonny's organization and all she ended up was ending up in Sonny's bed because she looked a lot like Brenda. Carly never liked her and she would eventually uncover the truth and let Jason and Sonny know. In real life, the actress would meet and fall in love with Jonathan Jackson. They would marry and have a couple of kids.

6. It really is tragic. Her face was fine and she should have aged naturally.

7.  She was better with certain material including when she was on Santa Barbara and some points during her tenure on GH.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, nilyank said:

1. AJ was still being written as screw-up but he was given a few wins in the face of many losses he will experience.

2.  Jason left town because he was afraid Carly would commit more crazy schemes to get together with him and thought if he left AJ and Carly would get a chance to be parents to Michael. In real life, SB left for 3 years to try his luck in Hollywood.

3. Longer. It has been a thing for a while when this episode was done

4. Gia was Detective Taggert's sister and Florence's daughter. Taggert came to town to destroy Sonny because he believed that Sonny was responsible for getting his mentor and hero killed. That would be Deke.  He had no idea that Deke abused his wife and stepson and in fact believed that Sonny was responsible for the beatings of his mother Adella. Interesting note, Mike knew Florence from the old neighborhood and their were hints that they were more than friends. They were laying the possible groundwork for Gia to turn out to be Sonny's secret sister. Instead we got Courtney about a year or so later.

5. Ugh. Hannah. FBI agent who sent to infiltrate Sonny's organization and all she ended up was ending up in Sonny's bed because she looked a lot like Brenda. Carly never liked her and she would eventually uncover the truth and let Jason and Sonny know. In real life, the actress would meet and fall in love with Jonathan Jackson. They would marry and have a couple of kids.

6. It really is tragic. Her face was fine and she should have aged naturally.

7.  She was better with certain material including when she was on Santa Barbara and some points during her tenure on GH.

Thanks @nilyank!  Great answers. 

Re #4, has there ever been a woman who came to town that insisted they would never sleep with Sonny, but still did?  I have a vague memory of the Reese character, who foreshadowed her destiny by saying she would never fuck Sonny, but then she did. I have to expect that the same thing will happen with Margaux.  

• Love 1

I wasn't watching GH back then.  Most of what I know about characters and storylines from before 2005-2006 was found out from reading about them and various youtube clips.  I enjoyed the throwback episode so much more than any episode in recent memory.  I think that says a lot.  I didn't know anything about Gia but enjoyed her interactions with Lucky (who I never knew played by that actor), Liz, and Nik (again, never knew him played by that actor). I also found Juan and his feelings for Emily interesting.  And, again, never knew Juan at all. I absolutely LOVED the Quartermaine scenes and seeing how they all interacted. And oh how I miss Alan! I also actually didn't mind Sonny and Carly. That episode just served to remind me of what the show once was and could be... but just isn't.

• Love 8
On 11/23/2018 at 11:08 AM, UYI said:

Claire Labine was HW from 1993-1996. Guza was the HW for this episode from 2000. I agree with you, though; I guess it was Riche's firing in early 2001 that signaled a departure from diversity on this show. 

Guza dealth with the a much stronger canvas that Labine left behind and it took a while for him to get rid of all the diversity because Justus was a Q. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, bannana said:

The pizza at Thanksgiving thing has really been around that long?  Longer, I guess, since it was already a given in this episode.

Since 1994, at least. That year their dog Annabelle ate all their food, which meant they had to order pizza instead. 

• Love 6
19 hours ago, bannana said:

Why does everyone think NLG is a great actress?

As you've demonstrated not everyone does. Talent is in the eye of the beholder. Some people like, some people don't (I happen to be one of the ones that do.) If you already don't like her no one is going to be able to explain in a satisfactory way why they do.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I've always thought NLG was a competent actor.  But man-oh-man, in the space of a week I saw her in a mid 90s episode of 7th Heaven and last week's 2000 re-airing of GH and she literally hasn't aged a freaking day.

But not aging doesn't make her a great actor.  Just not sure why she has all this buzz.  

1 hour ago, bannana said:

But not aging doesn't make her a great actor.  Just not sure why she has all this buzz.  

When the writing is excellent, as it usually was consistently on Santa Barbara, she brought her A-game. (Thanks, Patrick Mulcahey!) And she was good during the whole deal with Luke and Alexis discussing her mother's death.

So, I guess her acting is in direct correlation to the writing, maybe.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, bannana said:

Well, lately I think she has a whole lot of overexaggerated hype from Julexis. But on the whole, she is able to project intelligence and to act naturally. There are times when she's too much in her crying scenes or emotional outbursts when Alexis is having some extended dramatic storyline but overall I think she is able to make the character seemed grounded.

As to her physical looks, I don't think she has aged much but I think she has always looked more mature than she was, like Katherine Hepburn. Her face has filled out a bit definitely.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 9

But on the whole, she is able to project intelligence and to act naturally. There are times when she's too much in her crying scenes or emotional outbursts when Alexis is having some extended dramatic storyline but overall I think she is able to make the character seemed grounded.

I only came by NLG in 2012 and have not enjoyed watching Alexis.  However, she has been knocking it out of the park with those recent scenes with Oscar.  Since I started rewatching again in 2012 (waves meekly - it was to catch james franco), Alexis has been saddled with listening to Sam and Kristina for way too many scenes sans positive results and in a romance story more plausible for a couple half-their-ages.  Her worst offense was palling along with a professional Sonny apologist.  The place where NLG gives me pause from her demise in the "kick-character-off-the-island" game (AKA -bloated cast) is when the scene involves the Cassadines. 

• Love 1

The dramatic scenes between Joss and Cam yesterday versus the ones between Joss and Oscar today really showed how much better an actor Cam is than Oscar.  I really haven't been dazzled by any of the young actors on this show for a while, but Oscar is just so one-note and I think it's because Garren Stitt can't act. For the most part, anger, fear, love, and joy are all expressed very similarly.  

And enough with Laura and Kevin/Ryan. Either have it figured out or not but I'm sick of Laura running around crying and begging him to explain what is going on. Over it. I do, however, look forward to him killing Keeks out of love for Ava. That's some twisted adoration that I'm ready for them to get to.

NuTJ is way too old.  Did NuJordan have NuTJ when she was 8?

Kiki and Griffin going to a wedding right after sex and not showering really skeeves me out.

• Love 6

It's always fun when there's an occasion that requires the characters get dressed up, and I think everyone at the wedding acquitted themselves well, especially Anna. FH should wear color more often, she looked gorgeous. I'm also pleasantly surprised the show sprung for extras to fill out the pews and make the wedding well-attended. I'm less enthused by Stella interrupting the ceremony, as inevitable as it was (because: soap); we've exhausted every angle of her POV to the point that I can only hope whatever she says next will finally put the subject to bed. 

Kim sure has a lot of nerve getting indignant and sulky that Julian didn't acquiesce to her crazy plan. Throughout their relationship she's maintained two things: that Julian should never return to a life of crime, and that he should be okay with her holding him at an emotional distance. She doesn't get to snit that she can't trust him now that he's unwilling to break a dozen different laws to help her with something she's only reluctantly shared with him to begin with.

Ryan's reverence for Ava leading to Kiki's demise is a thing of beauty. It's so fucked up but so fitting that he recognizes Kiki is the biggest impediment to Ava's happiness.

There was a lot packed into this episode, and I have to say, I was entertained throughout. Maybe it was just nostalgia kicking up in me due to Thanksgiving pizza and the Quartermaines singing, but I thought this was the best episode we've gotten in ages.

• Love 10

Kim is insufferable (Oscar is also insufferable. Thanks for saddling Drew with them). The way she jerks Julian around is just . . . Can't be with you if you go back to the mob, but please go to your contacts and your mob partners because I need you to.

Oscar actor is terrible. He always looks the same. Facial expressions, tone of voice. They could not have chosen a worst actor to try and sell this story. 

I don't know a whole lot about Alzheimer, so this may come off as completely ignorant, but they sure seem to have dropped those terrible and anguished memory lapses and freak outs since they've been done with that stupid Crouton storyline. 

Kiki and Griffin have very little class. And see, a quick fuck before a wedding has now gotten you killed, Keeks! And why are Kiki and Griffin invited to the wedding? They have no relationship with Jordan or Curtis, right?

• Love 4

With this episode, I am thankful for...

• Joss finally knowing the truth, so we can put the whole fake teenage love triangle behind us. (That was excruciating to watch on many levels.)
  • Julian not breaking the law. I can't help it - I like the new, reformed Julian.
  • the continuation of the Quartermaine singing & pizza tradition.
  • Kiki's run-in with Ryan.
  • Laura finally getting mad instead of sulky.
  • Anna dressed up - she looked gorgeous. (As did Nina and NuJordan.)
  • the fast-forward button, so I can skip past Stella's disruption of the wedding. She bugs me.
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Kim is insufferable (Oscar is also insufferable. Thanks for saddling Drew with them). The way she jerks Julian around is just . . . Can't be with you if you go back to the mob, but please go to your contacts and your mob partners because I need you to.

Oscar actor is terrible. He always looks the same. Facial expressions, tone of voice. They could not have chosen a worst actor to try and sell this story. 

I don't know a whole lot about Alzheimer, so this may come off as completely ignorant, but they sure seem to have dropped those terrible and anguished memory lapses and freak outs since they've been done with that stupid Crouton storyline. 

Kiki and Griffin have very little class. And see, a quick fuck before a wedding has now gotten you killed, Keeks! And why are Kiki and Griffin invited to the wedding? They have no relationship with Jordan or Curtis, right?

Whoa, apparently I was looking down at my computer at a pretty key moment...completely missed this. She's, like, fully dead? 

It took me five years to learn to like Kiki, so this comes at a very bad time.  

(Probably a good thing for Hayley Erin, though.)

• Love 3

Good riddance to Kaka and her Franco worship.  

HE managed to grow somewhat as an actress on this show, so I guess that is an accomplishment but Kaka hasn't been likable since Dillon left.

I'd welcome a Kristen Alderson return just to see heads explode, specifically the Roger fans who deem her unworthy of his "acting ability" Welp! 

Edited by Hater
  • Love 3

Why were Griffin and Kiki even invited to Jordan and Curtis' wedding? 

I can't stand it when they have women giving brides jewelry as the old/new/borrowed/blue. They are fucking brides who have their dress and entire ensemble picked out for weeks/months in advance. They are not going to wear some random pieces of jewelry given to them 20 minutes before the ceremony! ... ... Okay Jorden did wear it, but still!!!

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Why were Griffin and Kiki even invited to Jordan and Curtis' wedding? 

I can't stand it when they have women giving brides jewelry as the old/new/borrowed/blue. The are fucking brides who have their dress and entire ensemble picked out for weeks/months in advance. They are not going to wear some random pieces of jewelry given to them 20 minutes before the ceremony! ... ... Okay Jorden did wear it, but still!!!

It was suppose to be the Friz wedding and frankie forgot!