Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Back on HH topic, for some reason the Austin woman on Wednesday night supremely bugged me, and her husband only slightly less so.  I've been impressed lately by the playfulness of some of the HHs, to the point that I didn't actually despise them, but this Austin woman seemed like she was acting instead of just being.

She was a bitch. I wanted to slap her when she was "claiming" that amazing entertainment space in House #1 for her crafts. She wanted the only space appropriate for her fiance's intended use--and that he liked--and wanted to shove him off into a tiny bedroom for watching movies.

I knew they's select the only unfurnished house and it had a lovely yard and outdoor spot perfect for entertaining.

• Love 4

No one has commented on the couple buying a house in the D.C. area.  They settled on what looked like to me an attached townhouse, although that was never stated.  That place was a hot mess IMO.  At least they were reusing some of those brand new kitchen cabinets when they showed the reconfiguration of the kitchen.  The bathroom in the basement was creepy to me, and the guy couldn't even stand upright in it because the ceiling was low.  I had to agree with her that the wood look ceramic tile would not have been my choice of flooring, but removing it and replacing with wood is going to be expensive.  That place looked like a cheap flip on the first floor.  Cannot believe the price of it, but everything in that area seems super expensive unless you move an hour or more away from D.C. and the the commute becomes huge.  I have also noticed that HH has stopped posting the square footage on all of the houses.  Seems like they have missed several lately.      

• Love 2
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

I had to agree with her that the wood look ceramic tile would not have been my choice of flooring,

I know you're talking about the DC house, but that reminded me of the white brick contact paper in one of the Austin houses, on just a little bit of a wall next to a closet.  Was that also the house with an alcove that had wood on one wall of it?  Very strange.

Now, I did once see a car covered in red brick contact paper long before art cars became popular, and thought it was about the funniest thing I'd ever seen.  But it was clearly done as a joke; not so much with the "brick" wall in the Austin house, methinks.

I liked the Seattle couple last night. Crazy how expensive everything is there. The trampoline part of the storyline was a bit ridiculous. The little boy already had a trampoline nearby at his mom's house, so why does he also need one at the dad's house? Glad they chose the best house and got rid of the trampoline. Nice that they were getting a gas line installed for the kitchen and a new gas range.

• Love 4
On 2/28/2019 at 11:58 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Dang, I missed a workamper episode.  I know a lot about it because I live in an RV traveling around, and brush up against them all the time. 

Some of the big fifth-wheel trailers have big kitchens with islands.  They do that by having slide-outs, but that means that if the slide-outs are in, they're mashed up against the island and you can't get to the kitchen.  But when the slides are deployed, the trailers are much more spacious than a tiny house because tiny houses are 8-1/2 feet wide, while with the slide-outs open, the fifth-wheels are more like 12 or more feet wide, and that makes a huge difference in livability. 

Big RVs are generally about 400 square feet when the slides are deployed, which isn't exactly spacious, but it's a hell of a lot more than the 200 square feet of so many tiny houses, and those things hardly ever move anyway, so why the zeal for keeping it as short as possible?  Oh, wait--it's because it will make the family love each other more, and eliminate having your life dictated by your possessions.  Sorry, I forgot.

There are basically two kinds of workamping.  There are the volunteer positions with national and state parks and the like where you exchange work for a site, so you're living rent-free.  It's a good way to have someone in the campground 24/7, or for low-cost staffing of visitor centers, etc.

Some commercial RV parks have workamper positions, and there are a few of those that also pay you for hours worked. 

When discussing the non-paid positions, there's always someone to do the math and say you're working for 75 cents an hour based on what you'd pay for your site, and the counter is always that the person is primarily volunteering, and the free site is just a small incentive. 

Or, sometimes places will have stay limits, and being the volunteer camp host is a way to get around that, if you want to be there for longer.

People in these situations are usually doing it because they want to, but workamping like that won't pay the bills unless it's one of the rare RV parks that gives a site and pays you, too.

The other kind of workamper positions are the ones highlighted in Nomadland, where it's an actual job, like working at an Amazon warehouse during the Christmas rush or the sugar beet harvest, where you're paid a regular wage and usually have your site paid for, as well.  These are seasonal, though, and that's why people doing that have to move around whether they want to or not, on a schedule that is not their making.  If you're doing the "volunteer" type workamping and doing a good job, they generally have no problem with you staying around for as long as you want.  But you can do that only if you don't need to earn actual money.

Back on HH topic, for some reason the Austin woman on Wednesday night supremely bugged me, and her husband only slightly less so.  I've been impressed lately by the playfulness of some of the HHs, to the point that I didn't actually despise them, but this Austin woman seemed like she was acting instead of just being.

My parents are workampers. Basically, they volunteer the winter months at a Methodist campground in Florida and get to stay at the campground for free in exchange for about 20 volunteer hours a week.  It’s a win/win for them and the camp. Their RV has three slide outs, so when it’s all set up, it’s pretty open. Their main room is LR/kitchen, and there’s an island. Plus, their bedroom holds a king size bed. For two people, it’s pretty spacious.  When we come, not so much. 😀

Liked the Seattle couple last night. I figured they were taking the first house, though I expected the gas stove snob to tell us that “while he thought he wanted a gas stove, he discovered the electric is ok,” so it was surprising to hear they were running gas. I can’t believe how much over asking you have to go. Yikes!

• Love 5
(edited)

I enjoy cyberstalking the houses from local episodes.  Found the two houses that the Seattle couple did not choose. Couldn't find the one they selected.

I noticed the odd curtains in the one bedroom - surprise, that became son Oliver's room and the curtains were still there.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Pickles said:

I liked the Seattle couple last night. Crazy how expensive everything is there. The trampoline part of the storyline was a bit ridiculous. The little boy already had a trampoline nearby at his mom's house, so why does he also need one at the dad's house? 

It was mentioned that the kid didn’t make a big deal when they sold the trampoline so it was actually a non-issue.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

It was mentioned that the kid didn’t make a big deal when they sold the trampoline so it was actually a non-issue.

And that's because they focus on odd requests, not the normal ones we all would consider most important. 

In this case, it would certainly be the proximity to the boy's mother and his school. 

We all know they really look at the usual "floorplan, school district, walking distance to the children's schools, overall neighborhood, distance to the nearest Walmart, Target, large grocery store" rather than "room for a trampoline, the need for a gas range, farmhouse sink, double sinks in the master, walking distance to cute shops and restaurants".  

• Love 2

Did anyone see Hailey, the single HH from Des Moines?  She was pretty perky and positive about everything, and that was refreshing.  Her third choice was a house with no garage and I knew that was a filler choice as no one would own a home with no garage in Iowa, or anywhere in the midwest with serious winters, lol.  

I think she might regret the tiny tiny kitchen of her choice but she was a refreshing choice in a house hunter.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, buttersister said:

Nana in Yoruba Linda: Worst voice ever! Nails on chalkboard. Human cartoon. Oy!

I watched this episode with your post in mind. Not only was her cartoon animal raspy voice annoying but she had many irritating facial expressions that went along with it.

• Love 1
On 2/27/2019 at 11:56 PM, edie3 said:

I just finished a book about that, Nomadland and it is an eye opening look at workcamping.  Not at all how it was shown on HH.  

Thanks for the recommendation. I just reserved it from my library.

On 2/28/2019 at 10:15 PM, chessiegal said:

I'm watching a new episode tonight and Andromeda is narrating. I did read on this thread they were ditching her. 

I noticed the same thing on HHI; she's narrating only the very beginning and the end. I remember when she replaced Suzanne Whang. I didn't like her then, but I do now. The show isn't as good without her voice-overs.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

Chicago woman bugged lastnight, as did her annoying cousin

Usually the tradeoff for having vintage--and her budget, is small bedrooms/baths

Not to mention, “Wooden closet doors are so dated!”. What else is there? Did she want plastic?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

So, does anyone think that the wife in the Grand Rapides episode wants to start a family soon?  Really??  I agreed with the husband, when he told her to give it a rest with the baby planning.  Those two had personalities that mixed like oil and water.  Maybe they balance each other out, but seemed to me he would have been happy with a more laid back spouse whose biological clock wasn't ticking so fast.  Now I can't even remember which house they chose, but I think it was the one with all of the extra rooms in the basement area.  I'm always envious when I see houses on this show that have finished basements.  HH's will walk into a house that has only 1500 sq feet, then descend to finished rooms in the basement that cover the same square footage as the main level.  That's like getting twice the house for half the price.  Here in southern Louisiana, that basement would be an indoor pool because of the water table level.  

The second new episode with the couple from Colorado buying a house and acreage with room to keep horses, was interesting because of the scenery.  I figured they would buy the house that had a barn already in place, and his comment about his mother taking a shower while a horse watched her was funny.  Guess I missed the part of the tour that showed a window in the bathroom with a view to the horse stalls.  Stores sell curtains, shades, blinds, and all types of wall coverings for that problem.  I would have to have an attached garage if I lived in that climate.  I don't have covered parking at my house now, and it's bad enough making a dash through our frequent rain, so I know I would not be happy slogging through snow and cold to get to the car or the house.  The view from the deck of the house they bought was lovely. 

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 7

The Colorado wife last night was a piece of work.  When she rebuked her husband for looking out the window with the telescope, basically treating him like a 5 year old, I felt sorry for him.  I bet she's nasty to him all the time.  And when she appeared to remember they were on camera, she had the most sheepish look on her face.  Yeah lady, no way were they going to leave that bit on the cutting room floor.  

• Love 3
On 3/5/2019 at 7:06 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Thanks for the recommendation [for Nomadland]. I just reserved it from my library.

Just FYI, that book caused a lot of consternation in the volunteer workamper community.  They accused the author of seeking out people who are forced by circumstances to do the grim Amazon warehouse-type jobs to fit her agenda, and criticized her for not also covering the volunteer positions where flush retirees teach kids how to pet baby ducks.

I tried to explain in these online discussions that she was reporting on the story she wanted to tell, and she never pretended to report on every type of workamper position, but they weren't having it. 

3 hours ago, laredhead said:

I don't have covered parking at my house now, and it's bad enough making a dash through our frequent rain, so I know I would not be happy slogging through snow and cold to get to the car or the house. 

They got the house with the breezeway to the garage, right?  With the amount of snow Durango has had this year, that breezeway is probably currently an enclosed walkway, so problem solved.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Just FYI, that book caused a lot of consternation in the volunteer workamper community.  They accused the author of seeking out people who are forced by circumstances to do the grim Amazon warehouse-type jobs to fit her agenda, and criticized her for not also covering the volunteer positions where flush retirees teach kids how to pet baby ducks.

I didn't realize that.  What was written was a scary and grim look at that lifestyle.

Young Dayton, Ohio couple with a 200K budget. They saw a 1961 ranch priced at 99K ( 😮), a newer 2001 Colonial at 199K and a fairly updated ranch at 152K. Thought for sure they'd pick that one as it had a nice enclosed rear porch, decent yard and garage. Nope. They picked the cheapest house.. And got it for 96K!  Holy Moly! That's a down payment around here. I knew a gal from Youngstown and have a friend near Cleveland. Where is Dayton and what's it like?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Young Dayton, Ohio couple with a 200K budget. They saw a 1961 ranch priced at 99K ( 😮), a newer 2001 Colonial at 199K and a fairly updated ranch at 152K. Thought for sure they'd pick that one as it had a nice enclosed rear porch, decent yard and garage. Nope. They picked the cheapest house.. And got it for 96K!  Holy Moly! That's a down payment around here. I knew a gal from Youngstown and have a friend near Cleveland. Where is Dayton and what's it like?

Dayton is 2-3 hours south and west of Cleveland.  If you picture the state of Ohio, Columbus is dead center and Dayton is almost directly west of that, near the Indiana border.  It's a small city, good quality of life for families.  And, if you like concerts, plays, pro sports, etc; it is only a couple hour drive at most to Columbus or Indianapolis or Cincinnati.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Watching a couple buying in Nashville. He wants to downsize the yard (because he maintains that) but still wants a giant house. She wants to downsize the house (because she maintains that) but still wants a giant yard. 🙄 Maybe they should switch jobs for awhile.

They had some interesting ideas about how big rooms have to be to count as "large". Lol. I live in a 3 BR 1300 sf flat and to me that's plenty large! Also, they require a rec room and it seems very important for one of their kids to have a "teen suite" 🤣

They are more positive than most couples, which is nice to see. Less bitching about fixable, unimportant things. It helps they have the budget so they can be demanding all they want! (615K in Nashville goes a long way.)

• Love 1
10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Dayton is 2-3 hours south and west of Cleveland.  If you picture the state of Ohio, Columbus is dead center and Dayton is almost directly west of that, near the Indiana border.  It's a small city, good quality of life for families.  And, if you like concerts, plays, pro sports, etc; it is only a couple hour drive at most to Columbus or Indianapolis or Cincinnati.

Thanks for the reply, DOODLEBUG! I have never been nor even driven through Ohio. My maternal grandfather's youngest siblings moved to Akron decades ago. I need to research the family tree a bit more.  I keep hoping more relatives will show up on 23andme!

22 hours ago, snarktini said:

Watching a couple buying in Nashville. He wants to downsize the yard (because he maintains that) but still wants a giant house. She wants to downsize the house (because she maintains that) but still wants a giant yard. 🙄 Maybe they should switch jobs for awhile.

They had some interesting ideas about how big rooms have to be to count as "large". Lol. I live in a 3 BR 1300 sf flat and to me that's plenty large! Also, they require a rec room and it seems very important for one of their kids to have a "teen suite" 🤣

They are more positive than most couples, which is nice to see. Less bitching about fixable, unimportant things. It helps they have the budget so they can be demanding all they want! (615K in Nashville goes a long way.)

He seemed to be very concerned about impressing people.

• Love 3
On 3/6/2019 at 11:38 AM, ehall1052 said:

Not to mention, “Wooden closet doors are so dated!”. What else is there? Did she want plastic?

I finally watched this one (I haven't been watching for a while, just too much else going on, and had to catch up on the Chicago ones first).  I thought this comment was puzzling -- I guess she meant she wanted them painted white, but that's an easy fix.  Otherwise, no clue what else she would mean.

That aside, I really liked the HH (the cousin was annoying, but clearly playing a role), and as a Chicagoan I enjoyed seeing properties in Kenwood, Bronzeville, and Edgewater (and when I last looked I looked a lot in Edgewater, although I bought in Lincoln Square).  I was surprised they didn't show her a no-chance high rise in the South Loop like the cousin was pushing for, just because they often do that.

Beyond the weird closet door comment, the HHers comments were quite similar to the ones I would make.  I thought the layout of the kitchen in the re-done place was weird, mainly the way the breakfast bar was slanted and too small, and that was part of the reno, so not due to vintage.  Also, the granite becoming the backsplash is a look I personally hate, so I'm with her there.  The distance to the rest of the house was due to vintage, but that was mainly the cousin having issues.  I predicted she'd go with the first (faux vintage or not -- and I too would have preferred real vintage).  Ultimately between those three places the issues are (1) neighborhood (all fine neighborhoods, so a matter of preference); and (2) price (I really liked the third one, but there's a big difference between the assessments if you aren't someone who really wants a high rise elevator building).  That said, the first place that she went with really did have a great cook's kitchen from what I saw.  My kitchen is fine, but still I was envious.

Edited by msmarjoribanks
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, pep4 said:

New Jersey band:  Poor girl, the producers must have told her it would air on St. Patrick's Day.

No words...glad she got the one with character 🙄

The thing is, the New Jersey woman was very attractive and didn't need that green hair.  I realize it's for the band, but she could go without it and still be "edgy" or whatever.  I figured they'd pick the cheapest house.  

3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The thing is, the New Jersey woman was very attractive and didn't need that green hair.  I realize it's for the band

I don't even think she's in the band. She's a freelance music writer/retail employee. 

She was right that the charm had been renovated out of the first house. I hated those gray floors.

58 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I don't even think she's in the band. She's a freelance music writer/retail employee. 

Oh, ok I missed the first couple minutes.  I wonder what retail store employs her with that hair.  Maybe a music store?

2 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Oh, ok I missed the first couple minutes.  I wonder what retail store employs her with that hair.  Maybe a music store?

I don't think we have those anymore, do we? 🙂

In all fairness, lots of stores would hire her with green hair. Nordstrom wouldn't but lots of places would.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Empress1 said:

I don't think we have those anymore, do we? 🙂

In all fairness, lots of stores would hire her with green hair. Nordstrom wouldn't but lots of places would.

Yeah, I suppose so, especially stores trying to be "hip" (I'm old--that's the only description I can come up with) that cater to hipsters...err......millennials.    

The Denver househunter, and her sister have the worst vocal fry I've heard in a long time.     And claiming she was maxing out her budget, and they gutting the place she bought is ridiculous.      I had to laugh at her holding out for a place she really loved, and then ripping everything out of the space was so ridiculous.      

• Love 4
On 3/12/2019 at 10:30 PM, Pickles said:

Omg, these Denver sisters tonight. The vocal fry and valley girl talk. Every sentence sounds like a question. 

OMG! I wanted to poke pointed sticks in my ears when they were talking!😱

My first thought about that church condo (loved those stairs into the flat) was to put a bed in the corner. Don’t know why she gutted the bathroom.

She had way to many clothes especially for someone whose job involves talking on the phone all day.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

And claiming she was maxing out her budget, and they gutting the place she bought is ridiculous.   

She said it was so far below her budget  ($110,000 less) that she could make it her own. 

The initial layout of the Church space was stupid. Especially given the size of the utility room and the walk in closet it seems like they could have done a lot more with the space so would love to see it when it’s done. 

I think the reason she is remodeling the bathroom is because she is completely changing the entire floor plan so since it was a completely blank space and she has the money why not so it. 

I hope she kept the later and works it into her design somehow.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Pickles said:

Omg, these Denver sisters tonight. The vocal fry and valley girl talk. Every sentence sounds like a question. 

I bailed after about ten minutes.  Couldn't take it anymore.  The mom had it as well so I guess they got it from her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 3/11/2019 at 11:10 PM, pep4 said:

New Jersey band:  Poor girl, the producers must have told her it would air on St. Patrick's Day.

Between her hideously dyed green and yellow hair with dark roots and the boyfriend's man bun, it was difficult to take them seriously. It was pretty obvious that they were never going to find a house with a basement to serve as band rehearsal space and could only afford the least expensive place in their desired location.

• Love 3
On 3/12/2019 at 12:45 PM, Empress1 said:

In all fairness, lots of stores would hire her with green hair.

Better green hair than facial piercings and two-inch-long earlobes.

I was struck by her yellow teeth.  Or, more probably, unwhitened teeth.  I almost never see them on TV any more.

• Love 1

Live long in Prosper:  That windmill ceiling fan was indeed awesome, but I bet they could have gotten it and had it installed for far less than $2,000.   

(To be fair, in all the back and forth negotiating with the builder I can understand settling for paying for it now rather than mess with searching for one and getting it installed later.  New buyer fatigue is real.)

Edited by pep4
  • Love 2

My husband and I howled at the wife's comment to her husband "Buck up buttercup" when he was complaining about mowing a lawn. He looked like he could use the exercise. Her eyerolling at his turret need was funny too.

• Love 5

Did I miss comments about the Joshua Tree buyers?  I chuckled at the desire to be close to downtown and shops and bars and restaurants, and then they showed what looked to be a one street downtown.  This one is a for sure episode for a future WATN episode.  The first place they looked at must be an Air B&B and rental property only.  I am constantly amazed at the different types of houses in which people live, or envision living in.

When I saw that windmill ceiling fan in the Prosper, Texas house, all I could think about what who was going to clean those blades and how would they do it without renting a lift.  I have 4 ceiling fans in my house, and the blades accumulate dust no matter how clean you think you keep your house.  I have 8 foot ceilings and a couple of times a year I stand on a ladder, or my bed, and clean the blades.  I was thinking that since his chosen profession is a registered nurse, he should be more mindful of physical activity and nutrition.  Sounds like the family has had some emotional ups and downs over the past couple of years.  I hope they enjoy their new life in Texas.       

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Did I miss comments about the Joshua Tree buyers?  I chuckled at the desire to be close to downtown and shops and bars and restaurants, and then they showed what looked to be a one street downtown.  This one is a for sure episode for a future WATN episode. 

That whole thing was just bizarre.  Three totally different properties.  And what the heck was with that one they chose?  Was it an amusement park or something at one time?  And they were actually rehabbing the towers? 

All I could think of was the number of scorpions they'd be cleaning out of all of those buildings.

• Love 5

Yes that Joshua Tree episode was bizarre.  I thought it must have been a rerun since I didn't see anyone commenting on it here.  That property they bought was just.....what??  They kept talking about "fixing up the house" but there was no house!  It seemed like it was just a rundown warehouse/industrial building with haphazard partitions in it, and then a bunch of outbuildings.  And at the end they were focusing their renovation efforts on the silly looking towers? What? 

Based on the 3 properties they looked at, I thought they would have been better off just buying a plot of land and building what they wanted

• Love 4
4 hours ago, laredhead said:

I have 8 foot ceilings and a couple of times a year I stand on a ladder, or my bed, and clean the blades. 

FYI, for when you can't get up and down as easily - or just don't want to, they make brushes on extendable handles for ceiling fan blades (they're shaped/sized so the bristles get the top, bottom, and sides of the blade at once).  Here's an example

• Love 4