Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

On 2/14/2019 at 1:09 PM, CruiseDiva said:

She refinished/restored old furniture and wanted a space to do that. 

That's great that she would want to do that but I don't know if I would want to tackle renovating that space. 

21 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Me too. When her dad was talking about the tool kit she got as a child, I thought that was so cute - and then when he gave her another one, I thought it was adorable when she teared up. I loved when she likened an open concept floor plan to a studio apartment - IMO she's exactly right. I thought she'd pick the second one since it was in her ideal neighborhood. I wouldn't have wanted a thing to do with that shed with the first house. You could have someone living back there and not know it!

I wasn't crazy about the houses too but I really liked that family. They were great to watch.

17 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I live in N. Central Florida and I can verify the fact that there will be frogs, lizards, albino geckos, armadillos, raccoons, mosquitos, spiders, and worst of all snakes.   What a lovely family.  They were so sweet!

Yeah that's why I wouldn't want to go into that shed thing as it was.

• Love 1
On 2/7/2019 at 12:18 AM, Dewey Decimate said:

Rochester, NY couple: It's great to see Andrea from Beverly Hills 90210 looking so fantastic for her age!

OMG!!! Just watching it now. Hysterical! And, so right. Too funny!

Chesapeake VA couple was grating on all my nerves. He wants shopping and a busy area. She wants something brand new. So, they moved to North Carolina. Okay. I don't care how close it is to the state line, who moves into a construction zone and into new school systems. Ugh. Pretentious guy, annoying wife and bratty teens. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Loving the Rapid City SD wife for never uttering "Where's my white kitchen?". She liked all the non-white kitchens.

That was refreshing. 👏

The textured walls and ceilings in the house they bought were hideous. Who thought that was attractive ever? 😱

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

The textured walls and ceilings in the house they bought were hideous. Who thought that was attractive ever

They really were. Did the couple mention getting rid of them? I was kind of dozing off.

When do you think Chesapeake wife realized her husband was gay? She knows.  Those looks and saying her husband was as project,  and he was flamboyantly gay. I think husband wanted closer access to restaurants and shopping to meet up with boyfriends. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Tara1665 said:

When do you think Chesapeake wife realized her husband was gay? She knows.  Those looks and saying her husband was as project,  and he was flamboyantly gay. I think husband wanted closer access to restaurants and shopping to meet up with boyfriends. 

We have watched A LOT of House Hunters episodes, and in our opinions the single mostly important factor for the vast majority of gay couples in choosing their homes has been proximity to night life (which could mean a variety of things, including restaurants). So much so that it has become one of our "HH Rules" as we guess things about any HH couple and their home choices (along with things such as men want modern and "clean lines," while women want "character" and usually craftsman style, and  now more and more healthy, often young, millennial men don't want stairs for some reason). The thing that made us chuckle was that he wanted to be near a mall, which ... are malls even still a thing? He reminded me a lot of one of the characters in the TV show Vice Principals.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

The couple buying in Charleston. His voice sounded pervy to me. Also, some men can carry off the long hair and the man bun. He was not one of them. The wife got a little snarky towards him. She said something along the lines of--is this bothering your little accounting brain, and something about his lifestyle being too boring for her. I didn't like either of them. 

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, Pickles said:

His voice sounded pervy to me.

What was that goofy accent?  Didn't he say he was from Detroit?  And the need for his own sink to work on his man bun?  Puh-leeze.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

What was that goofy accent?  Didn't he say he was from Detroit?  And the need for his own sink to work on his man bun?  Puh-leeze.

I think he said he was from Australia (?) or somewhere else, then he moved to Detroit.  They were a strange couple and I wondered if they had to round up some "friends" for the ending.

• Love 1

I expected to hate him for all the reasons you guys have named but ended up kind of liking him. She, however, was an odd duck to me. They seemed mismatched.

I've seen something in several episodes that bugs me and these guys did it, too. They walked onto the tiny "deck" that was more like a landing and debated what to do with it. Looked at the ~3-feet of space and declared it to be good for a grill. Sure, if you want zero clearance around your grill and want it to be practically touching the siding on your house. Maybe I am more cautious, but I want my grill well clear of the structure.

• Love 3
On 2/19/2019 at 11:26 AM, Tara1665 said:

I immediately thought that. It's his femme voice plus the fact that he's the music minister at their church. Two stereotypes of gay men, I know. So then I thought maybe I was judging him unfairly and that he simply has a twangy Virginia accent. But now you all are making me think my initial impression was not crazy.

1 hour ago, AZ Curls said:

Which board can we talk about the 2 episodes of Roommate Hunters?  The show was so awful but I couldn't stop watching!

Haven't seen it yet. It's on HGTV?  

8 minutes ago, topanga said:

I immediately thought that. It's his femme voice plus the fact that he's the music minister at their church. Two stereotypes of gay men, I know. So then I thought maybe I was judging him unfairly and that he simply has a twangy Virginia accent. But now you all are making me think my initial impression was not crazy.

Haven't seen it yet. It's on HGTV?  

Roommate Hunters is on HGTV. Was on last night. I liked the woman hunting for a place, but the potential roommates all have some sort of "issue" it seems. The first one was a guy who had a girlfriend, but then he wasn't sure the gf would be okay with a female roommate moving in with him. He also seemed quite attracted to the roommate hunter. The second one was an opera singer who had students come to her home, so a lot of loud opera singing would be happening. The third one was a pretty flamboyant gay guy who had a 17 page list of rules and they would be sharing a bathroom. 

It is all so made up, of course. The roommate hunter moved in with the opera singer. They had separate bathrooms. At the end, the opera singer is telling the new roommate that it is her turn to buy toilet paper and don't just buy one roll this time. Huh? If there are separate bathrooms, aren't you buying just your own tp?? Pretty ridiculous. And who buys one roll of tp at a time?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Roommate Hunters is on HGTV. Was on last night. I liked the woman hunting for a place, but the potential roommates all have some sort of "issue" it seems. The first one was a guy who had a girlfriend, but then he wasn't sure the gf would be okay with a female roommate moving in with him. He also seemed quite attracted to the roommate hunter. The second one was an opera singer who had students come to her home, so a lot of loud opera singing would be happening. The third one was a pretty flamboyant gay guy who had a 17 page list of rules and they would be sharing a bathroom. 

It is all so made up, of course. The roommate hunter moved in with the opera singer. They had separate bathrooms. At the end, the opera singer is telling the new roommate that it is her turn to buy toilet paper and don't just buy one roll this time. Huh? If there are separate bathrooms, aren't you buying just your own tp?? Pretty ridiculous. And who buys one roll of tp at a time?

Why didn't they say what the Los Angeles female roommate hunter did for a living?  I assume she was a former model (due to that impromptu catwalk scene with Trusive) but they didn't say why she moved to LA with her ex (who looked exactly like the white male renter in the first house) in the first place.  All 3 houses were so cute and well decorated.  But who in their right mind would ever wanna live with that Trusive character?  He seems "on" 24/7.  I have seen toilet paper sold individually but at 99cent store and who knows how rough that paper probably is.   The entire episode seemed like the roommate hunter was wanting to get "noticed" and get some kind of reality/acting job from the whole thing.  It was weird how they had her talk to the camera and make reaction faces to the camera.

I went back OnDemand and watched Episode 1, it was really,really bad.  24 year old New Jersey mama's boy out on his own for the first time renting a condo in Miami.  His mom came to Miami for the "roommate screening".  She was soooo overbearing & worrisome about everything!  All the kid wanted was a roommate he could watch sports with but she kept nagging about stuff he didn't want and she made it super awkward with the guys renting out the room.  They had a lot of awkward silence parts and the 2 guys (you could tell he wasn't gonna choose) seemed so disgusted with the kid and his mom and their antics. 

I really hope this show doesn't get picked up, it really just seems like people who want to get their 15 minutes.

• Love 2

I was disappointed in the Charleston episode because I was expecting to see the sideways houses they have there.  And okay, maybe they couldn't afford one of those, but they weren't even mentioned, and if a buffoon like me can notice them when visiting the city, they're a pretty big deal. 

2 hours ago, AZ Curls said:

I really hope [Roommate Hunters] doesn't get picked up, it really just seems like people who want to get their 15 minutes.

Okay, what the hell kind of name is Trusive?  He reminded me of this one plastic surgery addict I've seen on TV, and that huge picture of himself on the wall didn't help matters.  I can't imagine he's happy with his 15 minutes, since he came off like such an ass.

I knew the show was fake, of course, but it was really driven home when the roommate hunter would tell the person, "Oh, I have a dog."  Surely she doesn't wait to divulge that until they meet in person.

5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Can you even buy one roll of tp? I've never seen it packaged that way.

I first noticed it in places like New York City, where they sell a lot of items as singles.  And I went to a hardware store in the Castro in San Francisco where they sell office supplies like that, like one binder clip.  Of course, they're breaking up boxes to do it, but apparently there's a market.

Lately, I've noticed single rolls of toilet paper in Walgreens all over the place.  And since @AZ Curls mentioned the dollar store, I can imagine it being there, too, for people who can't spring for four rolls at once.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I knew the show was fake, of course, but it was really driven home when the roommate hunter would tell the person, "Oh, I have a dog."  Surely she doesn't wait to divulge that until they meet in person.

Well, I can totally see not wanting to waste time meeting someone if they said they hated dogs. Why bother?  You're not going to get rid of the pet so that person clearly isn't someone you want to bother with.

3 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, I can totally see not wanting to waste time meeting someone if they said they hated dogs. Why bother?  You're not going to get rid of the pet so that person clearly isn't someone you want to bother with.

Well, I didn't say anything about someone hating dogs.  They might live in a rental where pets are prohibited by the landlord.  Or they might not want the wear and tear of a dog if they own the place and the furniture.  Or they might have a neighbor dog that starts barking every time there's a another dog around, and they don't want to contribute to that.  Or they might be like the Judge Judy case I saw the other day where a woman let a guy with a dog live with her, but he was working and couldn't look after the dog during the day and expected her to do it, I think maybe she worked from home; he kept referring to it as a landlord problem, and JJ said, "No, you don't have a landlord problem; you have a dog problem."

Anyway, lots of reasons that might not constitute the person being a vilified dog hater.

Or am I wrong?  Would people with a dog not make it a point to find out if the dog is allowed before going further?  That struck me as such a false note.

• Love 3

I saw about 5 minutes of a repeat, couple from NYC moving to Beacon, NY.

Realtor is driving them through a neighborhood of what look to be 1950-1960 era ranch homes.  Husband asks, no Victorian style homes around here?  Realtor says no, this neighborhood was started/developed in the 1950's; no Victorian homes built in the 1950's.  I was like was he really that stupid to ask - there wasn't a two story home in blocks as they drove along - or was it producer shenanigans.  The house was small but it had some nice crown molding, which the wife didn't like. Nice older fireplace, too.  The Realtor I think told them the square footage before then went inside, but the wife was still saying on this room isn't that big.  ???  If you told it's only 1200 square feet total, how big do you think the living room will be?  If it's ginormous, that means tiny bedrooms, kitchens, baths.

Then husband said, I don't want to live in a ranch home.  I'm not a cowboy.   Again, I was like no way is he that stupid.  Really?  I grew up in a 1950's ranch, it was the in thing for that age.  We lived in a city in IN, not cowboys.

I didn't see the rest as I had to get back to work unfortunately.  What little I saw of the city was depressing, but we often don't get shown the 'real' city.  

• Love 2

In the new episode in Hudson Valley, NY, is the garage heated?   Because the realtor's suggestion of a slop sink out there strikes me as a bad idea in some place that gets that cold.   A townhouse when the father and son play drums?    The HOA would hate that, and I'm sure the closest neighbors will hate it even more.

The second choice by the realtor is ridiculous too.    I lived in a house with oil heat, and I wouldn't touch the house for that reason.   I'm sure it's much better than it used to be, but I don't like oil heat.   I hate the kitchen too.  And two out of three master closets have heat ducts running through them.    I hope this is a decoy house, because I hate it.   

So I guess they're going over budget to get the third with everything they want.    Did they even mention the condo fee?    I hope they looked at the CC&Rs.     

• Love 1
12 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I lived in a house with oil heat, and I wouldn't touch the house for that reason.   I'm sure it's much better than it used to be, but I don't like oil heat.  

The only thing I know about oil heat in houses is when they'd say on the news that there was a crisis in the northeast caused by a shortage of heating oil.  So I'm curious about what you don't like about it. 

My parents house furnace started off with coal, was converted to oil.    The tanks need to be refilled, they managed to overfill  the outside fill pipe, and the oil spill killed the grass out there, and nothing ever grew there.     You have to keep up with the filter changes, or cleaning too.   We had renters for about a year, and when the furnace was started when we moved back, soot came out of the vents.    The filter hadn't been cleaned, and because of the soot we had to repaint the entire house.     Changing to gas was so much better.     

I'm sure the oil heat now is much more efficient than that old furnace was, but I still don't like it. 

When they removed our oil furnace, and tank, they cemented the fill hole to the outside.    Some people near us had removed their oil heat, and skipped removing the outside pipe, and filling the hole in.    One of the oil companies got the wrong address, and flooded the basement with oil.  

I have a lot of deal breakers, and a couple are oil or propane heat, and baseboard heat.         

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I thought the couple in the Hudson Valley episode bought the best one of the 3 choices.  Perhaps the drum playing in the basement won't be heard by the neighbors since there are no adjoining walls, but my across the street neighbor plays the drums in a front bedroom of his house.  I can hear them sometimes, but they aren't annoying to me.  That was a lot of square footage for a condo, and the development looked like it was well kept.  I think the first place had a back splash in the kitchen that clashed badly with the granite counters.  The counters were brownish, and the backsplash was more black/gray/white.  Looked like a Home Depot DIY project.

Here's my pet peeve term that I just cringe when I hear - "slop sink".  I'm from the south, and had never heard that term until I started watching HH.  In my family, along with everyone that I know, we have always called it a laundry sink or a utility sink.  Slop sink just sounds icky. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Thumper said:

I think Scott makes a single roll. It has a paper wrapper around it.

It's not in any of the grocery stores I shop at. Plus I never buy Scott paper products. They are seriously inferior products.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It's not in any of the grocery stores I shop at.

You find them more in the smaller mom-and-pop type stores where they just have a small section for items like that.  Our party/liquor store with a gas pump out front has them.  When things get critical you can grab a roll until you have time to drive to a bigger store (mine is half an hour away).

43 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It's not in any of the grocery stores I shop at. Plus I never buy Scott paper products. They are seriously inferior products.

I agree! 😄. But you asked about single rolls.

• Love 1

Anybody watch the Pittsburgh episode yesterday?  I like the couple who seemed very happy with each other....no arguing about choices.  I wonder what they did about the very shallow closet in the master bedroom of the house they chose.  She was one woman who wasn't expecting a huge walk-in closet, and she didn't get it.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:58 PM, hoosier80 said:

I saw about 5 minutes of a repeat, couple from NYC moving to Beacon, NY.

Realtor is driving them through a neighborhood of what look to be 1950-1960 era ranch homes.  Husband asks, no Victorian style homes around here?  Realtor says no, this neighborhood was started/developed in the 1950's; no Victorian homes built in the 1950's.  I was like was he really that stupid to ask - there wasn't a two story home in blocks as they drove along - or was it producer shenanigans.  The house was small but it had some nice crown molding, which the wife didn't like. Nice older fireplace, too.  The Realtor I think told them the square footage before then went inside, but the wife was still saying on this room isn't that big.  ???  If you told it's only 1200 square feet total, how big do you think the living room will be?  If it's ginormous, that means tiny bedrooms, kitchens, baths.

Then husband said, I don't want to live in a ranch home.  I'm not a cowboy.   Again, I was like no way is he that stupid.  Really?  I grew up in a 1950's ranch, it was the in thing for that age.  We lived in a city in IN, not cowboys.

I didn't see the rest as I had to get back to work unfortunately.  What little I saw of the city was depressing, but we often don't get shown the 'real' city.  

Didn't see this episode but would have liked to. From what I understand, Beacon is experiencing somewhat of a revitalization...lots of artsy and creative types moving there and lots of new businesses.  It was about a 2 hour drive from my Long Island home when we drove up for a concert 3 years ago. The town did look somewhat rundown but its location not terribly far from NYC is a plus and it is up and coming.

Watching episode with couple going to a 'work camp' (still need to look that one up. Sounds like where the Joads hung out.).  Why are they looking at tiny houses/5th wheelers when she wants to entertain and have more than 1 person stay over and needed space for books and crafting??  Wouldn't they be better off in a regular RV? Or a freakin' house?

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, aliya said:

Watching episode with couple going to a 'work camp' (still need to look that one up. Sounds like where the Joads hung out.).  Why are they looking at tiny houses/5th wheelers when she wants to entertain and have more than 1 person stay over and needed space for books and crafting??  Wouldn't they be better off in a regular RV? Or a freakin' house?

I had to look up workcamping. It is tent or RV camping. You get a free place to camp and free utilities, but then you work at the campsite or the mobile home community for wages or in a volunteer capacity. What I am reading says it is popular among retirees, but can be hard work with low wages. Often requires moving every few months to find more work. No thank you.

why was this couple doing this at their age? How old was the daughter? I missed the first part of the episode.

• Love 1

That camp worker couple was really annoying. They had 2 dogs, 2 cats, she wanted room for crafts, books, a flipping double sink, entertaining, and his daughter (who always came last on the girlfriend's list), and were looking at 200 square feet? Of course they were going with the 5th wheel. I guess they'll never see his child. 

Edited by dbell1
  • Love 5

And just watched Lady Gaga and the drummer. She's a retro cook, he's a closet drummer who buys tubs as presents. They've dated 5 months and are spending $450K on a house in Orlando. I seriously think this show is the Twilight Zone. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, aliya said:

Why are they looking at tiny houses/5th wheelers when she wants to entertain and have more than 1 person stay over and needed space for books and crafting?? 

And a kitchen island!?!?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

Agoura Valley, CA: Husband must have had a big life insurance policy. That’s a lot of house and property for two people. Isn’t having horses an expensive hobby (to say nothing of labor intensive)?

I missed the first part of this show. I spent most of it wondering where she got her money. And yes, horses are expensive.

• Love 2

I live 30 minutes west of Agoura Hills on the coast and it's a unique area. Semi rural yet only 45 minutes from L.A. 

Two acres seems like a maintenance nightmare and I definitely wouldn't want to be paying out $1,400 ish in monthly property taxes. A.G. gets hot in the summer, she's looking at $500 to $800 in water bills too.

• Love 2
On 2/20/2019 at 7:05 AM, Kohola3 said:

I'm from England, and I hated his accent. He sounded (and looked) like the singer of a British rock band from the 60s/70s.

Edited by BTBAM310
  • Love 7
On 2/25/2019 at 8:56 PM, Pickles said:

I had to look up workcamping. It is tent or RV camping. You get a free place to camp and free utilities, but then you work at the campsite or the mobile home community for wages or in a volunteer capacity. What I am reading says it is popular among retirees, but can be hard work with low wages. Often requires moving every few months to find more work. No thank you.

I just finished a book about that, Nomadland and it is an eye opening look at workcamping.  Not at all how it was shown on HH.  

• Love 2

Yay!  I'm so glad I was finally able to join.  I've been reading for a while, and couldn't wait to start making some snarky comments.  That tiny house couple was really annoying.  They wanted room for the dogs and cat(s), the guy's daughter, room to entertain, room for crafts......etc.  And all in about 200 square feet.  I think the woman's boobs alone would need that much room! 

• LOL 9
  • Love 4

Dang, I missed a workamper episode.  I know a lot about it because I live in an RV traveling around, and brush up against them all the time. 

On 2/26/2019 at 7:49 AM, absnow54 said:

And a kitchen island!?!?

Some of the big fifth-wheel trailers have big kitchens with islands.  They do that by having slide-outs, but that means that if the slide-outs are in, they're mashed up against the island and you can't get to the kitchen.  But when the slides are deployed, the trailers are much more spacious than a tiny house because tiny houses are 8-1/2 feet wide, while with the slide-outs open, the fifth-wheels are more like 12 or more feet wide, and that makes a huge difference in livability. 

Big RVs are generally about 400 square feet when the slides are deployed, which isn't exactly spacious, but it's a hell of a lot more than the 200 square feet of so many tiny houses, and those things hardly ever move anyway, so why the zeal for keeping it as short as possible?  Oh, wait--it's because it will make the family love each other more, and eliminate having your life dictated by your possessions.  Sorry, I forgot.

11 hours ago, edie3 said:

I just finished a book about that, Nomadland and it is an eye opening look at workcamping.  Not at all how it was shown on HH.  

There are basically two kinds of workamping.  There are the volunteer positions with national and state parks and the like where you exchange work for a site, so you're living rent-free.  It's a good way to have someone in the campground 24/7, or for low-cost staffing of visitor centers, etc.

Some commercial RV parks have workamper positions, and there are a few of those that also pay you for hours worked. 

When discussing the non-paid positions, there's always someone to do the math and say you're working for 75 cents an hour based on what you'd pay for your site, and the counter is always that the person is primarily volunteering, and the free site is just a small incentive. 

Or, sometimes places will have stay limits, and being the volunteer camp host is a way to get around that, if you want to be there for longer.

People in these situations are usually doing it because they want to, but workamping like that won't pay the bills unless it's one of the rare RV parks that gives a site and pays you, too.

The other kind of workamper positions are the ones highlighted in Nomadland, where it's an actual job, like working at an Amazon warehouse during the Christmas rush or the sugar beet harvest, where you're paid a regular wage and usually have your site paid for, as well.  These are seasonal, though, and that's why people doing that have to move around whether they want to or not, on a schedule that is not their making.  If you're doing the "volunteer" type workamping and doing a good job, they generally have no problem with you staying around for as long as you want.  But you can do that only if you don't need to earn actual money.

Back on HH topic, for some reason the Austin woman on Wednesday night supremely bugged me, and her husband only slightly less so.  I've been impressed lately by the playfulness of some of the HHs, to the point that I didn't actually despise them, but this Austin woman seemed like she was acting instead of just being.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7