Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

6 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Seattle couple: He was something else.  He wanted the modern 3 story townhouse with the tiny balcony that was way over budget.  How is that even practical with 2 bigger sized dogs?  Then they tour the 3rd house with the large backyard and he's bitchin' because there is no dog door which in turn makes the backyard completely useless?? Get the eff out of here!!!!   And it drives me mad when people with kids and/or dogs tour homes with no backyards and the realtor always mentions there's "a park just a few blocks away."  Nope, that's not even close to the same as just opening the back door and letting them run/play outside. 

The realtor wouldn't have had to mention a park if these idiots with dogs would think about where their pooches are going to be walking around other than in their doggy room.  I think the husband was fine with knowing there was a park nearby. He would have taken that townhouse in a heartbeat if his wife had no say-so in the matter. And to think, he then bitched about no doggy door on the last house.  What about opening that glass-sliding door to the backyard?

Christmas window...Christmas window...ugh. I was happy that she didn't get her damn Christmas window.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I missed the beginning - how did those two children in Seattle afford that house?  God, they annoyed me.  A room for the dogs?  Ours just wandered the house.

He said he was a software engineer, which in Seattle means he's making six figures. Also, the house they bought was in Shoreline. There are no $400k single-family homes to be had in Seattle anymore, unless it's a teardown on a postage stamp sized lot.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4

That Seattle husband was such a baby whiner.  The comments "I can't handle ....the long commute/cleaning a fireplace" just showed how immature he is.  When he saw the first house he had such a negative attitude before stepping foot inside, but he had the balls to tell the wife that she had no right to be negative before seeing house two.  And I agree, I'd kick the agent in her ass when she said the thing about parks for the dogs.  "Yeah bitch. YOU come here at 5am and take the dogs to the park to pee and poop". 

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 1

I'd kick the agent in her ass when she said the thing about parks for the dogs.

I'm not sure you can blame the agent for that.  We've heard it countless times and if the dimwits fall for it then they are stupid as they look.  Anyone who owns a dog and has half a brain cell would immediately know that a "nearby park" is not a viable option.

Saw an episode last night I had not seen before. Family with eight kids moving from Utah to Houston. The mom was a stay at home mom. The dad was a CPA. They said to get everything they wanted--pool, five bedrooms--their budget would have to be $1.6million plus! What?! She didn't like any dark paint, woodwork, cabinetry, etc. In the house they chose, they repainted a lot. She seemed very picky to me. It was a blended family. Did anyone see this episode when it first aired?

• Love 1

I wondered about the family of 10 too.  I know times have changed, but I kept thinking how did my family of 10 grow up with only 1 1/2 baths, one washer and dryer, and (eventually) a portable dishwasher in a tiny cramped kitchen???!!!   She was wanting two washers and dryers and I think two dishwashers too.

It was fun to see those HUGE houses, though.

16 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Saw an episode last night I had not seen before. Family with eight kids moving from Utah to Houston. The mom was a stay at home mom. The dad was a CPA. They said to get everything they wanted--pool, five bedrooms--their budget would have to be $1.6million plus! What?! She didn't like any dark paint, woodwork, cabinetry, etc. In the house they chose, they repainted a lot. She seemed very picky to me. It was a blended family. Did anyone see this episode when it first aired?

I kind of remember the episode. Didn't one of the houses have a weirdly decorated downstairs bathroom?  I remember her being picky especially about the paint. That drives me crazy!  I don't care if your budget is $100k or $10mil, you're NEVER going to find a house that has your preferred paint colors in every room. 

On a shallow note, I need to marry a CPA! 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Did anyone see this episode when it first aired?

Regarding the Utah to Houston family of 10, the show was first aired this past May and there was a big discussion of their pickiness beginning on page 52 of this forum. 

• Love 3
On 11/20/2016 at 4:16 PM, Gam2 said:

Just watched a few episodes of House Hunters. After all of these years, can't they change things up? "Spacious", "We could make this work", "Total gut", "Not in our preferred area", " Not my style",  "I want stainless and granite", "Over our budget", "Not in our kid's school district", "Something to consider", etc, etc, etc. And then the "conversation" to eliminate one and duh, duh, duh-- they decide! On the house they've already bought. At first this was fun and interesting--after 10,000 shows of the same damn thing, it's no longer fun or interesting. Done, House Hunters. Just done. 

I'd actually be happier if they said things like "not in the right school district" instead of some of the stupid shallow things. The one thing you can't change about a house is the location and in a lot of places location completely determines school district. If you have kids, the school district can be extremely important - much more important than stainless appliances and granite counter tops, a change which is a simple application of money if you MUST have it. The first house we ever bought was not our favorite of the ones we saw (old orange formica counters and an avocado green stove), but it was in the right school district and that tipped the balance.

Also, they never seem to make comments about "must fix" items like, say, the roof or the HVAC system or the termite damage or the leaking plumbing, and sometimes you can clearly see water damage and other things.

I know, I know, "producer-driven drama."

Edited by WildPlum
added
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, WildPlum said:

I'd actually be happier if they said things like "not in the right school district" instead of some of the stupid shallow things. The one thing you can't change about a house is the location and in a lot of places location completely determines school district. If you have kids, the school district can be extremely important - much more important than stainless appliances and granite counter tops, a change which is a simple application of money if you MUST have it. The first house we ever bought was not our favorite of the ones we saw (old orange formica counters and an avocado green stove), but it was in the right school district and that tipped the balance.

Also, they never seem to make comments about "must fix" items like, say, the roof or the HVAC system or the termite damage or the leaking plumbing, and sometimes you can clearly see water damage and other things.

I know, I know, "producer-driven drama."

I am with you. At this point, we've all heard the years of "cherry, granite, stainless" and now the "white, quartz, stainless". It gets dull. Until there is a new fashion, you'd think they could do something with the mechanicals or location of the house. Maybe they need to get one of the HVAC companies to sponsor before that happens. Heck, get a green car sponsor and they can talk about how they can live farther out from the city because their commute will still be ecologically responsible.

• Love 3

HH has a formula that works and is cheap to produce. As long as they're getting good ratings, I don't see them changing the formula. And anyone who looks at this show as what to look for in a house rather than an entertainment show is an idiot.

Our local paper did a big story about a house hunter who bought a fairly run down home and did a major reno.  She said she applied to HH and by the time they contacted her, she had already purchased the house.  She and her realtor had to scramble to find two other houses for the actual shoot.  She also had her boyfriend with her, now a former boyfriend, who was edited to look not so nice and quite critical.  She was also told that she had to say negative things about every house.  Now that she did a full renovation, they came back to film it, but she has no idea when it will air.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

She said she applied to HH and by the time they contacted her, she had already purchased the house

In order to film the show you have purchased the house so that isn't unusual. Actually her entire story is HH 101.

1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

Our local paper did a big story about a house hunter who bought a fairly run down home and did a major reno.  She said she applied to HH and by the time they contacted her, she had already purchased the house.  She and her realtor had to scramble to find two other houses for the actual shoot.  She also had her boyfriend with her, now a former boyfriend, who was edited to look not so nice and quite critical.  She was also told that she had to say negative things about every house.  Now that she did a full renovation, they came back to film it, but she has no idea when it will air.  

I remember an episode with a petite blonde 20-something in Dallas who had her boyfriend tag along for the house hunt. She was looking for "charm" and ended up buying a 50s ranch with what looked like original appliances. She did offer the requisite critiques, but came across much more low maintenance than most people on the show. Her boyfriend was more vocal, but he made good points about the pitfalls of buying an old house. Is that the one you're talking about? 

10 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I remember an episode with a petite blonde 20-something in Dallas who had her boyfriend tag along for the house hunt. She was looking for "charm" and ended up buying a 50s ranch with what looked like original appliances. She did offer the requisite critiques, but came across much more low maintenance than most people on the show. Her boyfriend was more vocal, but he made good points about the pitfalls of buying an old house. Is that the one you're talking about? 

No.  This woman is from Pittsburgh. 

1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

No.  This woman is from Pittsburgh. 

I think I remember that ep. She was a fairly young woman to be a home buyer, if I remember  correctly. I also think her "Where are they now?" episode has already aired. I vaguely remember the mention that her boyfriend that was with her in her HH episode was no longer her BF. And something about her doing a lot of the renovations herself. Quite the go getter, if I've got the right person. 

While I understand that HGTV needs some storyline for each episode, I do wish that they would drop the whole "style of house" conflict they use with couples.  I'm so sick of the craftsman/colonial/rambler debate that occurs.  Especially since they often end up in something entirely different...and for good reason.

I also wish they would drop the "clean, modern, new" (usually the husband) vs. the "older, charm, character" (usually the wife) back and forth.

• Love 7

Louisiana couple with two kids:  Does Mom really have to keep telling us how pretty she is?  Doesn't Dad realize that he has built-in kid labor to skim those leaves out of the pool?  I thought the house they chose was a good compromise.

• Love 4

None of the houses they looked at were in Baton Rouge, where I live.  Prairieville is about 20 miles south of Baton Rouge and the house they said was east of Baton Rouge, was probably across the Amite River in the Denham Springs area which flooded heavily in August.  I was wondering when this episode was filmed.

As for the leaves in the pool excuse, my neighbor has a "robot" on a timer that roams the pool every day and cleans the leaves from the bottom.  All they do is skim the surface every morning and that doesn't take long.  I think the real expense of a pool, other than the initial installation, is the cost of mechanical when something breaks and the chemicals that are needed to keep it sparkling and clean.    

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Does Mom really have to keep telling us how pretty she is?

She was incredibly irritating from beginning to end.  

When talking about to pool or not to pool, if I would have heard one more time "but, it's for the kids", I was going to throw something at the tv.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Louisiana couple with two kids:  Does Mom really have to keep telling us how pretty she is? 

She had an ugly personality, that's for sure!  She needed to get over herself and her diva attitude.  I like the house they chose so I'm glad he got what he wanted...kind of. 

I would much rather have a community pool than a private pool.  Skimming the pool for leaves everyday takes only a few minutes...that's the easy part.  It's the cost of the chemicals, the cost to heat /run it and the cost of any repairs that definitely makes a community pool way more appealing. 

• Love 4

I saw an old show this afternoon.  Young couple with 3 children, Boston area.  He wanted (and said) " mid-century modern" so much I was sure he would "win."  Ack -- I still giggle that what I consider 1950's-60's is given  such a lofty name as MCM!!!  I grew up with that -- no thanks.

They ended up buying a different house on a lot of property.

• Love 1

Chicago couple -- a physician and an attorney -- some good-natured bickering going on but they need to be careful about that stuff.  I hope it was mostly for the camera.   I think it was -- she didn't seem to have too much trouble taking her turn with a long commute.  She was gorgeous. 

Love the house but am wondering about the approach to the place.  I'm assuming there was a lot of pavement leading to the three-car garage, but the snow made it hard to tell. 

The vintage home was beautiful but I agree with the wife -- there was too much wood in the kitchen. 

• Love 3

The instant they showed that third house I knew it was the one the Chicagoans were going to buy.  I have friends like them -- I'd be surprised if I don't know somebody who knows them -- and that's exactly the kind of house they would get.  Plus of course the unfinished master closet in an otherwise move-in ready McMansion was a dead giveaway.  

I liked them a lot.  They had great chemistry and their banter with their broker was hilarious.  "There's just one problem with that house," he said, looking at the adjacent townhouse she wanted; "it's not for sale."  

• Love 2

I liked the Chicago couple as well.  I was waiting for them to mention the suburb they moved to,  but only heard "North."  By the looks of the backyard and the neighboring chain link fences, the house looks like it was a tear down/rebuild.  I would have wanted to know the property taxes of all three homes.  

They made a beautiful couple.  She looked like an Indian Mila Kunis. 

• Love 2

I really liked the couple last night in Louisville Ky.  He was fun loving and she was a little more serious doctor.  I am so surprised that they didn't go for the new build although probably because it was too far from work.  They went with the one that got the most complaints, no mud room, no backyard, etc.  All 3 houses were very nice and all move in ready.

I still say they should have taken the 3rd one.  It was really beautiful and the view was breathtaking besides being close to work.  It was only $40,000 over budget.  I'm sure they could have worked things out.

• Love 3

Louisville ep: I liked the interior of the house they chose, but the lack of a backyard would have been a deal breaker.  Those boys are going to want/need a place to run around and the park down the street isn't the same as opening the back door.  On a very shallow note,  the wife should stick with those black pants.  Those skinny jeans and skirts weren't doing her any favors. 

• Love 2

I was thinking maybe the reason the Louisville couple didn't take the 3rd one was because it was on the historical registry, and perhaps they would be bound by certain rules/regulations to maintain the property.  I know I wouldn't want to do that.

I figured right away that they'd pick the first house because, supposedly, the previous owners *conveniently* left the furniture in the house as part of the sale.

• Love 3

I really liked the couple last night too. Good on him for refusing to call a media room a "man cave" and saying he didn't want segregation in his family! On another note, despite what the realtor and homebuyers said, there were no craftsman or colonial style homes featured last night. Won't someone please teach realtors what different architectural styles are, and help people be brave enough to say the truth, such as "this is an ugly recently-built mcMansion with no discernible style"?

• Love 11

I liked the Louisville couple, but was shocked they chose the house with no yard.  

Did not like the wife from the Columbus couple.  I don't think I've ever known anyone who was so anti fence and wanted to plant trees for privacy.  She obviously has no idea how much a pain in the butt that some trees can be, plus unless you you plant enough to look like Sherwood Forest, trees like oak and maple do not afford privacy.  

• Love 2

I don't think I've ever known anyone who was so anti fence and wanted to plant trees for privacy.  She obviously has no idea how much a pain in the butt that some trees can be, plus unless you you plant enough to look like Sherwood Forest, trees like oak and maple do not afford privacy.  

Soon enough, she'll be a helicopter mom who will fret that she can't hover over her kids from everywhere in the house and will want to move to a place that's fenced to contain the kids and keep them safe. Trees in the back yard get in the way of play, and picking up leaves in the Fall is miserable.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

The SF Bay Area episodes just make me angry. $920,000 ($133,000 over asking price) for a three-bedroom with an ugly-ass kitchen and outdated bathrooms? Insane.

Right there with you. Grew up there and the prices are just out of control.

• Love 1

I liked the kitchen a lot. I never would have thought of doing the kitchen that way, I'm not especially interested in 1950s diners, but I liked it nevertheless and wouldn't dream of changing it. 

• Love 2

I missed the start of that one.  Was the friend moving in?  It didn't sound like it because it seemed like the space for her was optional, not required or specifically planned.   Is she just planning to visit a lot?  Is she a nanny? I was so confused because I just assumed they were a couple when I first saw them, and then realized they weren't but there was all this talk of a space for her.

Edited by izabella
3 minutes ago, izabella said:

I missed the start of that one.  Was the friend moving in, thought it didn't sound like with the whole "space for me" thing.   Or is she planning to visit a lot?  Is she a nanny? I was so confused because I just assumed they were a couple when I first saw them, and then realized they weren't.

The friend was moving in.

• Love 1

The Corpus Christie family needed discipline for their boys.  If my kids had punched out the screens on their screened in porch, they would not be laughing about it.  They chose a nice house, so to think its funny that their boys punched out most of the screens is just plain wrong.  

• Love 8
9 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The Corpus Christie family needed discipline for their boys.  If my kids had punched out the screens on their screened in porch, they would not be laughing about it.  They chose a nice house, so to think its funny that their boys punched out most of the screens is just plain wrong.  

Yeah, the parents didn't seem to concerned about their little terrors punching out the screens. I don't even have kids and that annoyed me. Also, the husband didn't seem to concerned that the wife might have to do the laundry in the garage either. It looks like it's men/boys first and the woman are second class citizens. That said, the house was nice and they even had black appliances. The horror!!!!

• Love 3

It kind of rubs me the wrong way when people have larger-than-normal families and then expect the average home to fit their needs, and their small budgets. Corpus has a mild climate. The husband talked about all the outdoor activities available to them. They were getting a home in the back yard. Why did they need a home that allowed them to wrestle and roughhouse inside, too? Maybe teach the boys some manners and not let them think that because they're boys, they're allowed to act like a pack of wolves.

I was annoyed when the husband, upon seeing white appliances in one home, declared that they would "need" to replace all the appliances.

• Love 14

That is what frustrates me about most of the folks on this show.  The minute they walk into a kitchen and don't see stainless steel appliances, white cabinets or granite/quartz countertops  they immediately declare it a gut job.  I lived with the kitchen in my house for 10 years before I was able to update it and the food tasted the same whether it was cooked on my harvest gold stove/prepped on my formica countertop or it was taken care of on my new stove and countertop. 

• Love 13

Corpus Christie: I was also annoyed about the boys destroying the screens.  It's now basically useless.  I'm surprised they chose house #1. It had only one living space and it was small. And only 3 bedrooms! They have 4 very young boys.  Yes,  they can run around outside,  but they aren't going to be out there playing when it's dark out. And where are they going to put all their toys/stuff? I have a feeling they are going to have more kids too. 

• Love 2

If the screens were like what we had in Florida, they are relatively easy fix, but there is really no excuse for not putting boundaries on your kids' behavior.  Having four boys isn't the problem, having four boys with no rules about behavior is.  There is also no reason a family with 4 boys can't live in a three bedroom home-two boys in each room works just fine. Having to have a a bedroom for each kid is a new concept.  Sometimes I feel like an old lady shaking my finger and saying "When I was a kid....

• Love 17