Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: She's Dying

This season seems so much better to me than last season.  I'm not sure if it is that I'm just used to the time jumps/they are doing them better, or the characters have been more fleshed out, although the students generally remain the weakest part of the show to me.  I really hope we see more Eve, it's nice to have someone that is not intimidated by Annalise, and also nice to see Annalise seem genuinely happy from time to time.  I'm sure that can't last!

I couldn't help myself from comparing those idiots running away from the spooky mansion on the hill to the Scooby Doo gang running away from something bad...."Where's Daphnie?! I thought she was with you!!  Zoinks!!". 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 11

I'm not so sure that the guy playing pool with Michaela is Eggs911. I think that's a red herring. 

They showed that he was hanging out with Rebecca through the picture that was left in the hall from the landlord cleaning out Rebecca's apartment. So at a minimum, dude knew Rebecca.

It seems like a stretch for him not to be Eggs, as it would basically require dude to randomly be at the courthouse, randomly start chatting up Michaela and for there to be yet someone else who was RealEggs. 

Especially as it would make sense Michaela is who he would try to get close to since she's the one who reached out to him. The guy doesn't have to be shady. It's entirely possible he and Rebecca were friends and he just wants to know what happened to her since she sent him that cryptic message and hasn't been heard from or seen since. But of course considering this show, of course he's shady.

Edited by truthaboutluv

I know we are supposed to think Asher is just a naive dummy but sometimes I wonder if he's trolling them because he knows they keep him out of the loop. Is he genuine or does he know more than they think? He is certainly better at keeping a secret (do any of them have a clue he was working with the DA?) than the rest. He just might be a wolf in sheep's clothing (at least I hope he is).

I find Annalise's quasi-parental relationships with Wes and Bonnie extremely disturbing. She is obviously a master manipulator but they are especially malleable. It seems she even feels a little guilty about that.

The DA was ridiculously foolish and incompetent. No wonder Annalise wins so many cases. 

Eggs 911 is not necessarily a bad guy. Actually Keating & Co are sort of the bad guys in this situation. So he's a threat to them but the past season tells me that he needs to be the one concerned about his safety. 

• Love 1

I know we are supposed to think Asher is just a naive dummy but sometimes I wonder if he's trolling them because he knows they keep him out of the loop. Is he genuine or does he know more than they think?

That's the thing with this show and I realized it even more watching the sister in the holding room with Wes, you just can't trust anyone. Asher looks innocent enough,  but who really knows just how sinister he really is....

When that girl was in the holding room with Wes and she looked all shocked at what Wes was revealing to her about her brother, I was like, is she faking that reaction?

By the way, I definitely think that brother and sister are sleeping together.

• Love 2

I'm glad the prosecutor is dead. She wasn't right for the role and had little authority. Her little girl voice just didn't work and I think she was the weakest actor in the cast. The role needed someone like Marcia Gay Harden.

I want to like Oliver, but again I find the actor a little weak. I don't understand what he sees in Connor.

I'm not crazy about the sister. She wears a constant kicked puppy look, sits painting her parents in almost a childlike manner, yet talks in an authoritative and confident way when alone with Wes. I'm going to have to pay attention to how she acts around others. She does seem submissive arround her brother, but I don't recall how she acted with the rest of K-5. Her inconsistencies lead me to believe that she's a killer - whether of her parents, the DA, or potentially Annalise, I'm don't know.

I've never been crazy about Michaela and that hasn't changed much. I did like the future scene where she's begging Connor to leave with her.

I don't understand how Michaela was able to hook up with Eggs. Did she just hang around the courthouse until he showed up? And I would like Eggs to be out to avenge Rebecca. The girl could be irritating, but they've all just dismissed her like trash. While the incident with Sam and the computer was stupid, she was told to do so by Nate and she was the most vulnerable of everyone else connected to Sam's death. Because of that I hold her less responsible. The fact that they just left her there, completely unable to defend herself really bothered me, and her promising to be good as Bonnie killed her was upsetting. Too much like an abused child begging their parent not to hurt them. It explained a lot about Rebecca. I always liked the actress because she looks like a grown up Gracie from The Nanny, who was a sweet girl.

I'm liking this season so much more than the last. I usually watched it a little distracted, causing me to always be a little confused. I do think they're boxing themselves in. Every member of the main cast, excepting Asher, has either committed pre-meditated murder, murder in self-defense and stupidity, or is an accessory after the fact to murder. If Asher is somehow out of the loop on Annalise's shooting, it will cross the line into comical. Luckily his character is obviously obtuse, so I can buy (for the time being) that he hasn't picked up on the obvious distress or meaningful glances that happen every quarter hour.

Even though I liked Rebecca, I don't seem to be upset about Bonnie. She's probably my favorite character, and I like whatever is going on between her and Asher. I think the actress is killing it, and there'd better be a bombshell coming that addresses what exactly happened with Annalise.

I'm finding Annalise more likeable. She always seemed an equal partner in dysfunction with Sam, so I never really pitied her in that relationship. The self-awareness and regret she's showing makes me care for her a little. But even as she tells Bonnie she "ruined her", she's still so unkind to her, and seems unwilling to release her from whatever obligation or loyalty she feels to Annalise.

I don't understand the character of Frank. The way he killed Lila was psychopathic. Calm, cold, and calculated. I can't believe Annalise is so blind to what he did. She figured out Bonnie immediately.

For me, they need to figure out if Wes is like a son to Annalise (or even biological son), or if they're going to be lovers. It's creeping me out. I know the actors can't help the fact that they have great chemistry, but Viola is more than good enough to portray that chemistry in a non-sexual manner. Which leads me believe she's deliberately playing it ambiguously. It's just so strange how she immediately fixated on him. The weird scene where his head is in her lap as she strokes him. The fact that she intensely swore to Wes that he could tell her anything and swore to protect him. And then the sexualized dancing. For me, the sexual component is coming from Viola, not the Wes actor, and leads me to believe that she's aware of where this story is going.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 2

RE Asher, and whatever the DA is holding against him, I think if it was something criminal, he would not have been gloating to her in the parking lot after Nate's hearing. He would have been worried she would still go after him in some way. So it has to be something bad enough that he would not want it revealed, but not something prosecutable or which the DA could leverage in any way except for "keeping it quiet in exchange for his co-operation."

The way Annalise treats Bonnie is really disturbing to me, in the opposite way to how disturbing it is how she glows over Wes. Clearly, murder is a very serious crime, so I'm not saying she shouldn't be upset that Bonnie did it. But she acts like she enjoys tormenting Bonnie emotionally, not like she's just really and legitimately super-pissed about the murder. I really wonder why she keeps her around, since she's always been shown to have zero respect or affection for her, and in fact total contempt-- even before Bonnie killed Rebecca.

• Love 2

I don't understand how Michaela was able to hook up with Eggs. Did she just hang around the courthouse until he showed up? And I would like Eggs to be out to avenge Rebecca. The girl could be irritating, but they've all just dismissed her like trash. 

I was also curious how Michaela found possible-Eggs911 (I hate, hate, hate this nickname) again when neither her nor Connor ever gave him their phones/numbers.

I kept thinking of Silence of the Lambs every time Bonnie said Rebecca's name (which was a lot). When the Senator (?) is making the plea for her daughter, she is wisely using her daughter's name a lot to humanize her to her kidnapper. If that's a real strategy, Bonnie must be quite the sociopath!

• Love 2

Let me just get this out of the way: (1) I am shipping hard for Annalise and Eve, and (2) I realize this ship is more doomed than the Titanic, Amistad, and that boat in The Perfect Storm, but the heart wants what it wants, and in this case, it is these two over-40 women going all in on their love. Normally, TV shows only want to show lez-be-honest relationships to take viewers to the bone zone. But that's not what's happening here. What Annalise and Eve have is that "K-Ci and Jojo, high-school slow dance, I lost my virginity to you so you have a special place in my heart forever" type of love. And like I said, they are grown-up, checking their FICO scores on the regular, and taking ginkgo biloba, not some 21-year-old MTV video girls having a fun fling cause they're "drunk." What Annalise and Eve have is beautiful, real, and amazing, which means it's all going to fall apart spectacularly. How? Not sure yet.

I love this too, Jodeci reference, oh the best.

This too:

Caleb, the brother, denies that they committed the crime. Yeah, no. I'm sorry. I'm not trusting any hot light-skinned dudes with light eyes; I learned my lesson after watching Michael Ealy in The Perfect Guy. As Real Housewives of Atlanta's Phaedra Parks would say, "Something in the buttermilk ain't clean." There's no way everyone starts dying around them and they're not involved somehow.

LOL, so true, so true.

Edited by represent
  • Love 2
I couldn't help myself from comparing those idiots running away from the spooky mansion on the hill to the Scooby Doo gang running away from something bad...."Where's Daphnie?! I thought she was with you!!  Zoinks!!".

Hahaha! Yes - this seems an apt description. Those wacky kids somehow always seem to find themselves in the thick of a murder.

For me, they need to figure out if Wes is like a son to Annalise (or even biological son), or if they're going to be lovers. It's creeping me out.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I love the ambiguity of Wes and Annalise's relationship.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 5

I think it would be interesting if Asher is the one that kills the DA.  The rest of the Keating 5 are all involved in murders.  He might as well have one too.  Maybe he does know more than the others think.  

I wonder if Oliver could be the one to shoot Annalise.  I am looking for the least obvious person.  Connor seemed upset about the shooting.  

Just a few random thoughts...

We know that Michaela has Rebecca's phone, so maybe Eggs 911 is able to locate it via phone tracking like iPhone's "Where's My Phone?" app. 

Before Bonnie killed Rebecca she told her that she, too, was not treated well and yelled at, etc. so it seems that she was mentally and/or physically abused as a child. After seeing last night's episode and the bizarre conversation between Ann and Bonnie, I wonder if Ann "rescued" Bonnie in some way, but then ended up using her and/or abusing her but in a very subtle way, sort of how when a child doesn't realize when they're being sexually abused because the adult treats them so well that what happens gets interpreted in their minds as love instead of as abuse.

I think that the bratty DA fell out of the window of the room where Annalise is.  When they panned out, her legs were askew with one shoe laying a few feet away from her.

But it looks to me like someone shot her in her eyes or poked her eyes or punched her or something?  Much more gruesome than a gun shot, kwim??

• Love 1

I was also curious how Michaela found possible-Eggs911 (I hate, hate, hate this nickname) again when neither her nor Connor ever gave him their phones/numbers.

Isn't his name just Eggs? I think 911 was Rebecca's way of telling him there was an emergency, as the message said "911 lawyer's house".

• Love 1

I wonder if Oliver could be the one to shoot Annalise.  I am looking for the least obvious person.  Connor seemed upset about the shooting.  

Conner did seem upset, when I first watched it and he was repeating "it's your fault, it's always your fault", I assumed that he was saying that to Annalise and I feel like they wanted us to think that.  Then, I think it was the Vulture review that interpreted that as him saying that about himself.  Which makes more sense in the context that he just earlier blamed himself for the fact that Oliver was HIV positive, so now he's blaming himself for Annalise getting shot.

Spinning out from there, maybe Conner was having a fling with with the son on trial for murder (after ribbing Wes about getting involved with the daughter), and once again, when Conner cheats someone else gets hurt and that's what he's lamenting?    That could mean Oliver, Conner, the son, the daughter, the household staff chief could have done it.  I'm not sure this narrows suspects substantially, but it did lead me down a path I wasn't originally thinking. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2

We know that Michaela has Rebecca's phone, so maybe Eggs 911 is able to locate it via phone tracking like iPhone's "Where's My Phone?" app.

Rebecca texted Eggs911 on Michaela's phone, she doesn't have Rebecca's phone.

• Love 5

I will just add that whatever issues the show has, man Viola is KILLING it. That scene when she put the prosecutor in her place and basically called her a petty, mediocre and vindictive child was golden. . 

After the DA said that Anna's outburst showed she could be a murderer {*}, I was hoping that Anna would say something like "Because I called you out as an incompetent twit?  GURRLLL, you must think half the people you know are murderers!"

Has anyone read this recap?

http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/how-to-get-away-with-murder-recap-season-2-episode-2.html

It had me laughing at my desk.

woke up with my loins hot enough that my down there could have doubled as a panini press for five minutes.

LOL!!!

• Love 10

Wow, this season really isn't holding back, is it? The trial stuff - Nate's case, the 'killer' kids all were interesting this week.

I want to be wrong (and I hope I am) but I think Eve will end up being the one who shot Annalise and probably killed St Claire as well.

Of course four fifths of the Keating Five would be there but Connor was the only one who actually wanted to help Annalise. The rest of them are colder than frostbite, aren't they?

Michaela's new fella is clearly Eggs then. Glad they didn't drag that one out. Nice that Wes discovered it too.

Connor/Oliver, the latter was right to be annoyed. Asher can be an almighty idiot at times.

I like Annalise and Eve's relationship. I'm confused by what the writers are trying to do with Frank and Laurel though.

Bonnie needs more backstory but that's clearly coming, isn't it? 9/10

I want to like Oliver, but again I find the actor a little weak. I don't understand what he sees in Connor.

To start with the shallow, have you seen Connor?  He is sexy, I guess looks can be subjective but in-universe we have been told multiple times that Connor is very good looking.  But he is also rather dangerous and fun, kind of a bad boy archetype (at least s1 Connor).  You can tell Oliver was living a pretty boring IT-guy life and he loves what Connor has given him, he jumps at the chance to do all this illegal hacking for him.

The reverse situation is a little more complicated I'd say.  But I think Connor loves how Oliver grounds him, his life was going off the deep-end without him.  I was kind of upset they tamed his casanova character already, but I get their relationship and I think the actors have good chemistry together that makes it believeable.

Edited by Atony
  • Love 1

Jack Falahee is knocking this out of the park. He's so much fun to watch. He's a very subtle actor and I appreciate that.

I'm getting a bit bored with Nate though. I mean, he knows that Annie got Eve to represent him. And that they came up with this whole plan that got you free so feel free to stop spying whenever now.

• Love 3

I would not be surprised if Annalise hired Frank because she knew how good he was at getting rid of people. She knows that he will do her dirty work. So him killing someone wouldn't surprise Annalise.

I don't have last season to review - does anyone know, that Frank killed Lila?

Also - who is Laurel's father?

Is it a stretch to think Analiese maybe be killed off because Viola Davis has been reluctant to commit to the series?

I don't have last season to review - does anyone know, that Frank killed Lila?

No, no one has openly voiced that suspicion. 

Also - who is Laurel's father?

We briefly saw him last season.  He is wealthy and he is domineering.  Outside of that we don't have details but Frank implied in the season premiere he isn't a good guy.  That led some people to suspect drug cartel involvement.

Is it a stretch to think Analiese maybe be killed off because Viola Davis has been reluctant to commit to the series?

This show is Viola Davis.  They accommodate her by only doing as many episodes in a season she is willing to do (which is why their seasons are 15 eps instead of the network standard of 22)

Edited by Atony
  • Love 3

If the judge found the prosecutors and/or police guilty of misconduct (as happened in the second murder charge against the brother and sister), would that be enough to throw out the original case as well? 

Also, apropo of nothing, assuming Annalise lives, she should flunk their sorry asses for leaving her to die on the floor.

Actually, if she lives, which I assume she will, she'll be proud. Their behavior means, she taught them well, self preservation.

• Love 3
You're Damn Right" just posted their episode. Their discussion for HTGAWM starts around 42:20.

http://ashandjohnmul...T11_08_25-07_00

I really like this podcast, especially the guy, his voice and everything makes me laugh. I love how he just loves this show the most out of the three. I like how he talks about Empire as well which I just started watching, but he loves HTGAWM.

He's still asking Michaela to contact him, LOL.

They both look at Anna the way a lot of us do, that we just aren't sure if she's ever truly been in love. As much as I want to believe that what she was saying to Eve was true I can't be sure with Anna. It felt real to me while watching, but in the back of my mind I never know if she's playing EVERYONE. I was like aw, but then I was like is she for real with Eve? I just can't tell until all is said and done whenever that will be...

Edited by represent
  • Love 1
Michaela's new fella is clearly Eggs then. Glad they didn't drag that one out. Nice that Wes discovered it too.

Do you mean the fact that he has the picture? Because Wes may have grabbed it from Rebecca's belongings, but he doesn't know Eggs is in the photo, or that Michaela has met him. The only person that has seen Eggs is Michaela and Conner. They don't know that he's Eggs. Wes was not there when they met him at the courthouse.

• Love 1

Do you mean the fact that he has the picture? Because Wes may have grabbed it from Rebecca's belongings, but he doesn't know Eggs is in the photo, or that Michaela has met him. The only person that has seen Eggs is Michaela and Conner. They don't know that he's Eggs. Wes was not there when they met him at the courthouse.

Yeah, I'm thinking Keating 5 or Murder 4 will be hanging out at a bar and he'll show up, or that Michaela will be smitten by Levi/Eggs, of course faking that she doesn't, and just causually show them a pic of him from the others' curiosity or something and Wes will put it together. Michaela will get bitched at for not listening, cue in trust issues all around with some kick ass investigations and interrogations. In other words, Murder 4 once again screwing up.

This show makes Empire look like Masterpiece Theatre.

Thank you. The rate at which these two shows are burning through ludicrous plot after plot and getting praised for it is making my head spin.

(I checked out on Shonda shows years ago for this reason, but came to this (and Empire, which I know is not Shonda) for the two lead performers, who are both stellar and almost enough to get me past the ridiculousness.)

• Love 3

I only just now managed to steel myself enough to watch this episode. And I was left wondering: why is it that Frank is living in the apartment where Oliver was living in season 1? Or otherwise, in an exact clone of it in another apartment building? It's No. 303, just across the hall from No. 304. Compare Frank & Laurel at the door of it in S02E02, with Connor & Oliver at the door of it in S01E02, or in S02E01. The only thing that has changed is that the outside of the doors are painted a different color. Or perhaps all apartment buildings in Philadelphia are built identically. Oh, the many mysteries this show baffles us with!

Edited by SailingBy
  • Love 2
I want to be wrong (and I hope I am) but I think Eve will end up being the one who shot Annalise and probably killed St Claire as well.

Hey now! I may not always we popular around the boards, but I'd hate to think anyone was out to kill me! ;-)

• Love 4

I hope Eve isn't the one who shoots Annalise. I've really warmed up to them*

Thoughts after my re-watch:

• I'm liking Connor & Michaela's friendship.
  • Still loving Wes.
  • Frank's version of Olivia Pope's "Earn me!" speech was delightful.
  • I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bonnie was the one who ends up shooting Annalise

*Yeah, it's HTGAWM, and it's Shondaland, so I have no illusions about a fairytale ending

• Love 1

Is it possible Eve shoots Annalise? Maybe Anna dumps her and she goes a bit psycho.

No. Nothing about Eve indicates this scenario, not to mention it would be playing into a terrible trope.

Oh ok!!!  I missed that!  But maybe he was able to trace Michaela's phone? 

*never mind... I'll go crawl back under my rock...*   <G>

Didn't Michaela ask Wes to watch her purse at the dance club, and then Wes left it to dance with Annalise?  Or was it Laurel's purse?  Or did I make the whole thing up?!?!

If it was Michaela, I bet there will be a connection to how he found the phone.  I kept expecting whoever's purse would be stolen but then they never revisited it.

• Love 3

Didn't Michaela ask Wes to watch her purse at the dance club, and then Wes left it to dance with Annalise?  Or was it Laurel's purse?  Or did I make the whole thing up?!?!

No you're right, it was Michaela's purse. And she left her phone in the purse but it was very visible, you could read the texts. I forgot who she told to watch it though.

I was confused about that? I didn't get whether or not she contacted Eggs or he contacted her first? I thought I saw a confused look on her face while she was looking at the text as in who is this contacting me.

She first sent Eggs the text "Hi" after her failed flirt with the gay man in the season opener, and he answered when Laurel took her dancing while Wes watched her purse in the nightclub

I see.  Still I feel like if the Keating 5 ever go down for Sam's murder, it's going to be because of Michaela's actions.  She's mentally weak and she had a full on meltdown in the woods when they were burning Sam's body.

• Love 1

Michaela was just fine when they were running away from Annalise's body in the flash forward. Connor looks ready to snap though. I can see the guilt from everything, including Oliver's reveal pushing him to his breaking point. But I honestly don't think anyone is going down for anything

I don't actually think eggs will be a real threat because they've been pushing him as a threat too much. Things are never as they seem on this show

I don't actually think eggs will be a real threat because they've been pushing him as a threat too much. Things are never as they seem on this show

But things are never what they seem on this show so often that it might be a twist to actually play Eggs straight.  He's the genuine threat though there are misdirections.

I'm not sure I can continue with this show. It seems Shonda has turned "ridiculous plot lines" to 11. Even Viola has partaken of excessive scenery chewing in the first two episodes. No one is likable (except Oliver). The depiction of law school and a law practice is ludicrous. It's already over the top. I'll give it another epi or two, but with only so many hours of tv viewing time for me, it's on the bubble.