Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E08: Broadway Or Bust

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Most of these designers (as well as from past seasons) are not going to produce masterpieces if given another day or so. I have not seen fabulous results come from the longer challenges, as a rule. Seems they either dawdle more or go overboard with embellishments, etc...

Anyway...I love this show but this season is just a snore. I don't care about any of them, though I kind of like Edmond. (Is that his name?) and Swapnil is a bit interesting, at least. But the rest don't have a personailty between them.

• Love 1

I think Swapnil could have been in the top with a nice blue color on bottom. No one wins with baby pink, nor should they! Ick

I liked Edmunds. Thought it was editorial. (TM Nina Garcia). The pants were fierce (TM Heidi). Lol

Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 4

I must have drunk the koolaid because I liked a lot of the garments.  Liked Merline, Swapnil, Candace, Kelly, Lindsay, and Edmund.  I thought the bottom 2 should have been Ashley and Laurie and that Laurie would be aufed.  Lindsay's wasn't the best thing ever made, but it was far from the worst thing on that runway.

Finding Neverland is one of my favorite movies and Kelly's vest/coat reminded me very much of what the mother is wearing when she walks into Neverland (presumably having died).  Her normal looking dressing gown transforms into one of many colors.  So, I liked it.

• Love 3
I thought that model judge was kind of bitchy, in an annoying way. She was all "I just don't liiiiiiiike it" about Edmond's coat. And she just "hates" other people's designs -- no real constructive criticism.

This, to 1000.  I haven't watched every season/every ep, but she was the bitchiest, most useless, of all the guest judges I've seen.  I wouldn't have minded the "bitchy" if she'd said something more than, "Eeyyeeuuww!"

Thought it should've gone to Edmond, even though I like Candice (I agree with whoever said "Pirate Wench" about that dress).  His jacket was not something I'd normally like, but the color & the construction & the contrast, all worked for me.

Edited by gutette1
  • Love 2

I don't understand how Ashley got Aube's measurements wrong -again-? Wasn't her top for Aube too small/wouldn't meet in the back on a previous challenge? why wouldn't she remember that and cut/sew accordingly?

I thought they got the models measurements beforehand so they can set the sewing dummy for fit. Isn't that how it works?

Ashley seemed to not realize she would use up some of the material when putting in the boning for the corset that was under what we could see.  So she probably cut it to the right measurements, then lost a few inches when working with it.  As someone said above regarding shorts and skirt lengths, they should always cut larger for the back and adjust at the fitting.  It's easier to take away than to add in most cases. 

• Love 2

Lindsey deserved to go.  She was given a generous (for PR) budget, just about no design constraints at all, and came up with something worth about $35 at H&M. Except unflattering.

What was with the stage makeup? Candice and Ashley both looked ridiculous.

Candice, when you alter your face color that much, you have to blend it into your neck.  I know you are going for drama but it's reading "mime". 

Ashley:  tone it down for TV, that much cake makeup just looks uncomfortable.

• Love 3

Lindsey deserved to go.  She was given a generous (for PR) budget, just about no design constraints at all, and came up with something worth about $35 at H&M. Except unflattering.

What was with the stage makeup? Candice and Ashley both looked ridiculous.

Candice, when you alter your face color that much, you have to blend it into your neck.  I know you are going for drama but it's reading "mime". 

Ashley:  tone it down for TV, that much cake makeup just looks uncomfortable.

Agreed on the makeup.  Ashley looks like plastic.  Then she cries (always), and ends up with lines down her face.  It's like she's trying to hide her entire body, behind her face makeup.  I want to shake her and tell her "Girl, you're absolutely gorgeous, let people see you!!"

• Love 1

I haven't had a chance to rewatch, but did Candice say that both her mother and father had problems (addictions?)? So she didn't have the greatest childhood. But I remember in the first episode, they showed her house. It looked really nice. I'm guessing that Candice married someone really successful or wealthy?

It seems Heidi wants to get into Edmond's pants.

I agree! Heidi seems to dig him big time. She has also been a little flirty with Swapnil. But I can't seem to remember Heidi flirting with any Caucasian men.

• Love 2

Lindsay is just not a good designer.  She's just not an artist.  It's like the type of person who wants to be an artist but just isn't, or can't execute what's in her head.

Merline is the other side of the coin.  I think I have figured out what Merline is.  She has an artist's brain.  I think she's got a lot of interesting ideas up there.  I think her aesthetic is kind of scarily gothic or something.  It has no place in a discernible time.  It's not retro nor forward.  There's no relation to modern trends.  Maybe she's like a Thierry Mugler or something; she just needs more training.

I didn't really like how Coco couldn't express what she didn't like about Edmond's design besides "I just don't like it."  But I honestly do feel like that about other's designs too.  It just frustrated me.  I liked Edmond's design, I was with Nina, it was high drama.  Imagine wearing that to some fancy party.  All eyes would be on that girl and I think in a very good way.  It was exciting.

So Tim suggests that Ashley remove the tulle at the bottom of her outfit because it looked like it was decorated with a shower puff, but  then Edmond gets praised for having an entire vest made of something similar.

Not one judge praised Edmond's vest.  Did you hear any of them do so, because I certainly didn't?  They praised his top and his pants.  As Tim is a different person than the judges (and often disagrees with them) I don't find that surprising.  Also, I'm quite convinced that the tulle Ashley wanted to use is different from whatever Edmond used to make the vest.  

Swapnil's might have been the best though.  I could be on board with Candice but PR just seems to come way too easy to her, she is smug, and I really didn't like the print of the fabric she picked.

Let the real competition start!

That f$&king Rachel Zoe countdown clock was on screen for the entire episode. Ugh!!

This was a really big FUCK YOU to the people who watch Project Runway so loyally season after season.  A big, big, big, big, big fuck you.  It distracted me through the entire episode.  It covered model's faces, it covered designs, it covered talking heads.  It was a really atrocious thing to do.

Coco Rocha is a Canadian model of Ukranian and Irish descent.

Speaking of Lindsey's design, who was the designer that kept making necklines that came up and over the model's chin? I can't remember her name, but I immediately flashed back to her signature look when Lindsey's design came out.

Melissa from Season 10.  She ALWAYS made the square that looked like it was made out of cardboard that came up to the model's chin.  In EVERY dress.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I thought they got the models measurements beforehand so they can set the sewing dummy for fit. Isn't that how it works?

My fashion model niece snarks that what models say are their measurements, and what their measurements actually are, have been known to differ. Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 1

I can't believe Candice won this challenge. While I didn't think she had the worst design this week, it was not great for me. Then again, there were so many bad designs this week that I guess in comparison hers seemed really good? I get that black is her thing but I loathe black on the runway because most of the time you can't really see the details. All I really see is the silhouette. I hated her old lady floral print bat wing jacket.

I usually disagree with Nina, but I agree that Kelly's dress would photograph well and looked editorial. This is why I miss the designers going to Mood - Kelly made a very smart choice when she picked that material. But I do agree with Heidi - Kelly should have put a seam down the side of the dress where it would be hidden under the green sequins instead of down the front where you could see it between the two panels of green. But her poor model. Her right big toe was totally hanging off the side of the shoe.

Swapnil should have been in the top or possibly won. I loved the structure of the top (and unlike last week, the structure didn't threaten to poke his model in the face). Sometimes with really structured fashion, it's only suitable for a runway because it's not practical but in this case I could see someone wearing it to an awards show and still being able to sit down.

I liked the ombré fabric that Ashley chose (related anecdote: a few weeks ago on The Great British Bake Off, one of the contestants said that she was going to decorate her cake with an ombré effect and one of the judges had no idea what she was talking about). I get where she was going with her dress but the execution was not good enough. One of the things I really liked (which Heidi or Nina also pointed out) was that one side was very form fitting on the waist and the other side was loose. It was a nice contrast but without being too in your face. Poor Aube. I didn't see her face the entire time the judges were doing critiques because of the countdown clock, but I knew it was her because of her beautiful skin. Coco Rocha was correct in pointing out how beautiful that fabric looked with Aube's skin tone.

Laurie's was a fucking mess. The fabrics she chose were terrible. From far away, the main fabric looked like burlap. Close up it looked like the kind of fabric you would see on a sofa in a motel lobby. I can see why she liked the circle fabric when she saw it at the store but how could she even consider making a top with it WITHOUT A LINER? All she needed was a little bit of fabric (white, nude, silver, hell, bright pink for major contrast) but instead she just put pasties on her model and let her walk down the runway like that. And she almost let her go with her ass totally hanging out too. If Michael Kors were here, he would have called that look hoochie (cue Frank Costanza yelling, "HOOCHIE MOMMA!").

Another reason I wish the designers had been going to Mood all season is that Lindsey's fabric choice was not good. When she told the other designers it was organza and difficult to work with (she said it was like stiff silk), I thought well duh, you should know that before you decide to make an entire dress out of it. The color was pretty (and similar to the sequined fabric that Kelly used) but it seemed like a mishmash of other dresses thrown together. It's backless but with a strap across it! It's a mullet skirt! Ha, I knew Heidi would hate the front because there was no cleavage at all. I totally agreed with Coco Rocha that the two waist seams were unflattering. That poor model looked like she had a belly pooch because of that design decision.

Edmond's jacket looked like a giant loofah. While I appreciate the amount of work he put into it, I still didn't like the end result. I also didn't like the crop top underneath it, partly because it made his model's boobs look droopy, partly because it looked like a wannabe version of a bondage top Madonna would have worn on tour in the 90s. I can't tell if I'm happy or sad he ended up not using those turquoise ostrich feathers. Part of me just wants to know how in the hell he would have incorporated them into his design. The other part of me is glad he knows how to edit. I was afraid he was going to end up with some wild west hooker looking outfit.

I hated the black wirey looking things on Merline's sleeves. It looked like a x-ray of a steel shoulder pad from Dynasty.

And the $250 budget at Mood was very generous.  Another nice gesture, producers.

I guess they could afford to be generous since this is only, what, the second time the designers have been to Mood all season?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Considering that they had time to think about their designs and a trip to Mood to pick out their fabrics, the designs were disappointing to me.  I thought Edmond's looked like something you'd see on a hooker in Vegas, Candice's a pirate hooker, Kelly's a burlesque dancer's outfit that she could peel away one piece at a time starting with the gloves, Lindsey's a long bridesmaids dress that the owner tried to shorten to make it more wearable, Ashley's like the clothes my daughter would make from left over fabric and scotch tape for her Barbies when she was 8, and Laurie's, oh jeez, I have no words for that mess.  The two "safe" designs were the ones I liked best, although I agree with those who say Swapnil has overused the asymetrical thing and I didn't like the pink chiffon underskirt.  I liked Merline's probably the best although it looked slightly crooked.  Nina has clearly never liked Lindsey from day 1. She didn't stand a chance, and though I did like her and her talking heads, I think she needs to reevaluate her dream of becoming a fashion designer as she seems to think a waistband on a dress should be placed about two inches under the bust!

For those who didn't like the model judge's comments or attitude or didn't know who she was, I think its noteable that not only is Coco Rocha the highest paid model in the world right now, but she seems to be friends with Heidi and Zac.  I've seen photos of her at fashion events with one of both of them laughing and looking very friendly.  I think she was just being herself with friends and being honest about what she thought about the designs.  Did she offer on camera any constructive criticism, not really, but I think they likely respect her enough to take her "I just don't like it" into consideration when determining the winner/loser. And quite frankly, I got the impression that Coco didn't really care what Nina thought and vice versa.  

Second thoughts: No, I haven't rewatched because I DVR'd the damn episode with the "countdown clock which shall not be named."

Surrealist, I had to like one of your posts just on the merits of your Gordon Ramsay surprise show up scenario in which he asks Ashley if she's just given up. And now, I want it to happen. Like yesterday. (P.S. If I could have liked the post more than once, I would have... Gordon for guest judge!)

I don't think Ashley has been whiny, y'all. They had the one week, which, in looking back on it, may have been more producer set-uppy than actual happenings. The week where the mean girls ganged up on her; and yeah, she was kind of whiny that week, but I kind of didn't totally blame her. I think she's been pretty UNcomplaining, for the most part. She does cry a lot, which bugs me just a tiny bit, but I try to remember she may not have had a lot of positive reinforcement in her life up to this point. Aside from all that, though, her dress this week was auf-worthy. She's just lucky the judges were done with Lindsey.

I'm not really a Kelly fan, although I do find her personality refreshing, unpretentious and funny. Her hair is still scare-worthy, but I love the fanny pack and how she talks unashamedly about working at a deli. Not many PR contestants would ever be that down to earth. I do not get the love for her designs, though. Last week, I totally thought she deserved the win based on the textile she created, but I was still underwhelmed by the design, which I thought was simple. This week, it was just about the fabric. It was a long vest, in which, yes, she did well to display the fabric to the best of ITS ability. The underdress was a basic black mini dress and the gloves were nothing special. I hated the rope tie, which reminded me of Jethro Bodine goes to the opera. Was kind of shocked that it was in the top. Or was it?

Swapnil is definitely on the redemption arc train OR he's headed for a surprise auf. Tim will either have to save him or Ashley. I also won't be surprised if he saves Kelly. She's been fairly solid, and even though her style is not my cup of fanny pack tea at all, she's done some decent stuff. Tim likes an underdog.

Speaking of Charketa, I had to go look at Heidi's 2015 Emmy dress after everyone here mentioned it, and OH MY GOD. Is that seriously the dress that Charketa and Sandhiya (spelling? wrong name?) made in yellow that week, that I think got Charketa sent home?? Heidi hated it then and she's wearing it now????

Finally, re: Heidi and her "Edmund obsession." I don't blame her at all for thinking he's cute, but she's almost acting kinda pervy and it's gross. She needs to stop now: as co-hostess, head judge and executive producer of the show, it's totally inappropriate.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 5

Yikes, I am not a fashionista by any stretch but I did not really like anything this week. I do think Laurie should have gone home we got to see almost all her models naughty bits that was truly a mess! If Blake was still there he would have fainted at the sight of the models exposed boobs.

Only part I liked seeing Swatch and all the fabrics at Mood!

• Love 3

Another mediocre runway and another judging crackfest. This is becoming the norm for this show. I couldn't really pick a winner from all these trainwrecks, but they praised it as an amazing runway? I guess Candice's was the best of the worst and wasn't totally horrid. Neither was Kelly's or Lindsay's. Lindsay's shield bodice was interesting IMO, but her boobs weren't half-exposed so of course Heidi didn't like it. The only problem with it was the high-low hemline. Edmund should have been in the bottom for that ruffled abomination he calls a vest. 

And Candice, what a humble winner she's not. 

Surrealist, I had to like one of your posts just on the merits of your Gordon Ramsay surprise show up scenario in which he asks Ashley if she's just given up. And now, I want it to happen. Like yesterday. (P.S. If I could have liked the post more than once, I would have... Gordon for guest judge!)

I'm not really a Kelly fan, although I do find her personality refreshing, unpretentious and funny. Her hair is still scare-worthy, but I love the fanny pack and how she talks unashamedly about working at a deli. Not many PR contestants would ever be that down to earth. I do not get the love for her designs, though. Last week, I totally thought she deserved the win based on the textile she created, but I was still underwhelmed by the design, which I thought was simple. This week, it was just about the fabric. It was a long vest, in which, yes, she did well to display the fabric to the best of ITS ability. The underdress was a basic black mini dress and the gloves were nothing special. I hated the rope tie, which reminded me of Jethro Bodine goes to the opera. Was kind of shocked that it was in the top. Or was it?

Finally, re: Heidi and her "Edmund obsession." I don't blame her at all for thinking he's cute, but she's almost acting kinda pervy and it's gross. She needs to stop now: as co-hostess, head judge and executive producer of the show, it's totally inappropriate.

Tell me that crossover wouldn't have been STUNNING. Absolutely STUNNING.

Kelly's personal aesthetic kind of frightens me. Even I didn't wear shit like that in the 80's. I agree with you that she's seemingly without ego. I like her working class background, as it reminds me of my own. I think she'd be fun to hang out with because she doesn't seem to take herself too seriously.

I definitely understand Heidi's crush on Edmond, but she's behaving ridiculously and that's why it sticks out so much. She wouldn't know subtlety, even if it slapped her in the face.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

Nina's WTF?!?!?! look when Heidi said she liked the idea that Laurie was going for was everything.

That right there was worth the entire episode.  I really hope Tom and Lorenzo make a GIF of that; it was classic.  I'm only sorry that the camera angle couldn't give us Nina's face in the shot.  But even the back of her head was screaming AYFKM?!?

They finally get to Mood

I think this was their 2nd trip to Mood.  But it's ridiculous that they are on episode 8 and have only been twice.

But what she came up with was actually clothing.  Unlike Laurie's entry.  Which, seriously, I think I could put together by stapling some of what I have in my remnants bin in the sewing room.

Who the heck besides Laurie would send ANYONE down a runway without a lining in that Totally-Not-a-Bustier bustier made of shower curtain rings. (well expensive ones, since the fabric was over $100/yard, but still).  I have actual windows that are more opaque.

I've like Laurie since Episode 1 but she's very lucky that Heidi hates Lindsay because if anyone else had been sharing the bottom this week, Laurie would be gone.  and deservedly so.  

• Love 3

But what she came up with was actually clothing.  Unlike Laurie's entry.  Which, seriously, I think I could put together by stapling some of what I have in my remnants bin in the sewing room.

Who the heck besides Laurie would send ANYONE down a runway without a lining in that Totally-Not-a-Bustier bustier made of shower curtain rings. (well expensive ones, since the fabric was over $100/yard, but still).  I have actual windows that are more opaque.

I've like Laurie since Episode 1 but she's very lucky that Heidi hates Lindsay because if anyone else had been sharing the bottom this week, Laurie would be gone.  and deservedly so.  

So much pearl clutching all around you'd think we've never seen nudity on a Paris or New York runway. Laurie had the beginnings of a sexy modern Victorian-inspired ensemble. The problem was the execution but it would have been a glamourous look. And she's executed and been overlooked for good looks before.

Yes, Lindsay "at least made clothing" but clothing alone is not fashion. It's like looking at a discount rack at...I don't know, JC Penny or your grandma's favorite store. There's nothing inspiring or remarkable about her looks other than how remarkably generic and bland they are each time. 

I don't think the judges "hate" Lindsay any more than they dislike mediocrity and banality when ostensibly they've drawn from the creme de la creme of new designers. Lindsay is one reminder of how far the franchise has fallen.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 8

I know I haven't been watching that closely, but I haven't seen any behavior that I would describe as pervy or obsessive from Heidi to Edmond. What did I miss? The only thing I remember was Heidi saying that Edmond must have taken a few bras of in his life during the lingerie challenge, is there more? Mostly I just see Heidi trying to be "cool" for younger viewers like saying "more boobs, less bra" and stuff like that.

• Love 1

I agree there's nothing wrong with flirting in general, but Heidi's in a position of authority over Edmund, even though this isn't technically a JOB where she is his boss, and her comment from last week or the week before where she mentioned him probably removing lots of underpants, bras, underwear, whatever it was, would have gotten her sent to the sexual harassment seminar.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

Ashley - so disappointed!  But could see what she wanted to make.

I looked at Ashley's dress again. Other than the ill fitting bodice, I think the main problem was weight. That fabric should be light, gauze-y, and floating. Instead, the skirt looked like icing badly applied to a cake. It looked thick and heavy. I wish the ombré effect had been on a more diaphanous look.

On the good side- No glue guns....they actually went to Mood.....and now I'm out of good things..oh wait, Swatch! Ok now I'm done.

Was that porno skating outfit really inspired from Neverland? Really? Because I was not aware Neverland had a strip club...or hookers....

• Love 5

I liked Swapnil's, but I think that he should have choosen another color for the skirt, and it could have been a potential stunning piece ! That "petit rat" pale pink was... boring and quite mumsy... and taking the whole "down" (sorry, I don't have the vocabulary to explain it better) instead of the piece of art it could have been.

I hated lindsey's, because of the "gravity much too much attracted" her look makes look the boobs* of her model like if they were a part of her waist (*Or nipples. Or chest... Or ? Which one is the good word to use in that case ?).

I agree-- I loved Swapnil's design, but while I thought the pink was pretty, another color would have worked better.

As for Lindsey, I think your words perfectly described the effect of the model's boobs looking like part of her waist :)

Speaking of Charketa, I had to go look at Heidi's 2015 Emmy dress after everyone here mentioned it, and OH MY GOD. Is that seriously the dress that Charketa and Sandhiya (spelling? wrong name?) made in yellow that week, that I think got Charketa sent home?? Heidi hated it then and she's wearing it now????

That yellow was hideous!!! Blech!!! Edited by Scorpiosunshine

I liked Edmund's! Even the cloud, though I think it looked better when the model wore it more at her elbows and lower.

Swapnil's just looked kind of tortured to me. Almost a trying-too-hard thing. Plaid and pink? Not today, thanks. And he did try!

Candace? Nicely made but oh so predictable.

Laurie should be gone. My jaw is still slightly dropped by that outcome.

This week's guest judge was, to me, useless. That 17 year old the other week provided more articulate opinions.

• Love 2

I'm going to defend Laurie: I think she had a classic case of disconnect between acceptable in fashion and acceptable on Lifetime and may have only discovered the difference upon returning to the workroom. Because:

every real life designer this season (and about the last 3) has consistently sent down sheer with no bra. Gucci did it 3 or 4 times in last week's fashion show

Gucci+Spring+2016+uKvF7q2RWQQl.jpg

And then you've got this thing for Marchesa, MARCHESA, for God's sake:

Chrissy-Teigen-John-Legend-2015-MTV-Vide

where you can (literally) see that she has a good waxer. Laurie lives in a fashion world where good, quality, good-selling,  respected designers are sending nudity down the runway. It likely didn't even cross her mind that Lifetime would make her put pasties on. and then they weren't the correct flesh colored pasties and she couldn't go back to Mood for a different fabric. I think that's why they had her stay over Lindsey. Production may have told the judges they handicapped her after decision and fabric selection so she shouldn't held responsible. Just my guess.

And thank you to TomandLorenzo.com for the Chrissy Teigen photo. I tried to find the duplicate on Google and couldn't.

Edited by justawatcher
  • Love 2

So I rewatched Road to the Runway. Lindsay showed very simple pieces, almost all in the same solid slate blue fabric. One judge whom I did not recognize was very generous in her praise, even applauding Lindsay's "minimalist" style. I didn't notice anything in her collection that was particularly innovative.

• Love 2

Criticize Candice for many things but it seemed to me she has an awareness of fabric and what it can (and cannot do). Ashley, for some reason, seemed to not have that, which seemed strange to me.

Ashley seemed to have very good awareness of what fabric could do in the lingerie challenge. Her bra looked like it fit perfectly on the model. And didn't they have extra time on the lingerie challenge? 

I think some of it is time given (and time management).

Yeah, "fashion" likes to show women's tits. I don't care how often they do it, it's still shitty and superfluous. A desperate grasp for attention by being "naughty". It obviously made the model uncomfortable, as she was constantly trying to cover herself, and the fact that designers are fine with that is just one reason I hate most of them. By and large, they're assholes who really don't like women, even the female designers.

Besides, even if Laurie had lined that top, it would have been a monstrosity. It was just ugly. Not well made, not well thought out, droopy, hideous colors. Bad.

• Love 9

Even if we set aside the nudity angle of Laurie's outfit, the problem (for me) is that it didn't look well made.  I don't know what she used to cut the circles of the top, but they were very unevenly done.  She had strange little piece of material coming out here and there and it just looked messy and overblown to me. The whole thing looked clumsy from beginning to what little there was of the end.  She's better than that.  If she had shown no skills before, then I wouldn't have expectations but she could have done better but for some reason decided to keep going in a direction that was not attractive, not innovative, not complimentary to the model, not anything very much.  And she knew it. And she knew had scraped by to go to the next round. And I truly hope she steps it up because I would hate to have a bundled up mess be my last memory of her.

Snipped...

Laurie bought that circle fabric at Mood where it sells for $100/yard. And how she thought those holes would work as a top I just don't get.

To me, seeing a bare breast through a gauzy net type fabric or through real lace is one thing. But seeing a nipple through a hole in the fabric just looks like a very unfortunate nip-slip, imho.

And the model's ass was out too? Epic fail.

And I'm not fond of judges rewarding someone with "promise" over someone who actually delivered wearable apparel. Apparel that looked to me to have that same high/low hem thing they loved about Edmund's first design!

• Love 6

I think the reason I was with them on Lindsay is the scene in the fitting room when she said that she had to put a strap on the back because it was the only way to avoid sideboob. Which, actually, no. And the fact that she's a fashion professional who markets herself on her crack seamswomanship and made that statement with a straight face suggests to me that she's not willing or able to stretch herself past her signature blocky separates. 

Which is fine, because if the world didn't have mid-range catalogues selling neutral separates my family would be living in track suits, and nobody wants that. But nobody really claims it's fashion either.

• Love 3

I just have to pipe up and say my issues with Laurie's outfit had NOTHING to do with nudity. We've seen plenty of nudity on this show AND gods knows we sees tons of it on respected and well-known designers' runways.

I just thought it was a nothing idea and crappily made. I mean, if you saw the sketch of her drawing for the "oversized jacket" it was almost identical to the "very easy to construct" jacket, per Zac, that got Gabrielle sent home. And then with Gabrielle's (and yes, I agree, she should have gone home) you could at least see sleeves and some semblance of construction, however poor.

I'm not on the "oh my god, visible pasties" train with Laurie, though. It was poorly conceived (starting with fabric choice) and badly constructed, and imho, much worse than Lindsey's bad design. Hell, I thought Ashley's looked much worse than Lindsey's. It was Lindsey's time, though, and she wouldn't have made it much further. But just based on the challenge at hand, as I said previously, I would have had a difficult time choosing between Laurie and Ashley for my personal auffing.

ETA: I just wanted to say I really appreciated when Lindsey said to everyone how much she loved them all and loved being there and working with them. This cast is very likeable compared to some others we've had inflicted upon us.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 5

Late to the party here , was traveling.   I was waiting for the Tim Gunn save on Ashley  Although I agree she wasn't the worst, but it was close.    

I'm glad Lindsay went..I'm tired of her stuff.  .  And why that cheesy fabric with $250 to spend. 

Yeah Laurie's was a mess and maybe should have gone,  but I have more hope for Laurie than Lindsay making something interesting.for next week.  

Was surprised Swap or Merline didn't get into top three over Kelley.  I personally didn't get Swapnil's design  but I thought it was more innovative than even Edmunds.. Frankly the only one that stood out as a sure top 3 was Candice.  Kelly and Edmund could easily have hit the "safe zone"  with  Merline and Swapnil.  Overall I thought Swap and Merline were more innovative. than Kelley.

If someone could post a picture of Ruth Buzzy from Laugh-In... with the hair net on... perfect match to Rodger's goofy hairdo..YES that Valley Girl.---I cant' take it!  The guy stylist she was with was funny.  And she never stopped running her mouth long enuf for Jessica Alba to speak.  Why don't they replay the Jodie Arias trial if they need filler.

Laurie's was a fucking mess. If Michael Kors were here, he would have called that look hoochie (cue Frank Costanza yelling, "HOOCHIE MOMMA!").

Hoochie Mommas would have been embarrassed to wear that mess.

Kelly. She's been fairly solid, and even though her style is not my cup of fanny pack tea at all,

Now I'm desperate to find an opportunity to use this expression!

So much pearl clutching all around you'd think we've never seen nudity on a Paris or New York runway.

There's a huge difference between a high fashion elite runway attended by only the top names and richest customers vs national television. There's also a big difference between sheer vs a hole that the nipple can poke through like some weird bondage sex get-up. The MODEL seemed to realize there was a difference, or she wouldn't have been so obviously uncomfortable, therefore, I'm not going to 2nd guess her reaction.

I'm going to defend Laurie: I think she had a classic case of disconnect between acceptable in fashion and acceptable on Lifetime and may have only discovered the difference upon returning to the workroom. Because:

every real life designer this season (and about the last 3) has consistently sent down sheer with no bra. Gucci did it 3 or 4 times in last week's fashion show

where you can (literally) see that she has a good waxer. Laurie lives in a fashion world where good, quality, good-selling,  respected designers are sending nudity down the runway. It likely didn't even cross her mind that Lifetime would make her put pasties on. and then they weren't the correct flesh colored pasties and she couldn't go back to Mood for a different fabric. I think that's why they had her stay over Lindsey. Production may have told the judges they handicapped her after decision and fabric selection so she shouldn't held responsible. Just my guess.

And thank you to TomandLorenzo.com for the Chrissy Teigen photo. I tried to find the duplicate on Google and couldn't.

See my note above.. this is not the same thing at all. And if it didn't even cross her mind that this was different, Laurie's not as smart as she looks. And it doesn't explain or excuse the length of the skirt/shorts/whatever. On that note, since when have HOT PANTS had a loose skirt-like cut? That's not what "hot pants" are AT ALL.

Ashley seemed to have very good awareness of what fabric could do in the lingerie challenge. Her bra looked like it fit perfectly on the model. 

Actually it didn't. There was excess fabric around the bottom of the cups and it bunched a little. It wasn't BAD, but it wasn't a perfect fit either.

To me, seeing a bare breast through a gauzy net type fabric or through real lace is one thing. But seeing a nipple through a hole in the fabric just looks like a very unfortunate nip-slip, imho.

And the model's ass was out too? Epic fail.

No kidding.. She was showing the "good china" AND the crystal. That only left the silverware still barely hidden.

• Love 6

I just have to pipe up and say my issues with Laurie's outfit had NOTHING to do with nudity. We've seen plenty of nudity on this show AND gods knows we sees tons of it on respected and well-known designers' runways.

I just thought it was a nothing idea and crappily made.

I agree, but I would also add that I think her outfit was not in line with what she said her vision was. She talked about the magical vision of Tinkerbell and her daughter and all of that seemed very light and happy and fun and airy to me... but her outfit was heavy. The fabric she chose for the coat was heavy. It just went against everything I felt she talked about trying to create. I had looked forward to seeing what she would make, until she actually got her fabric and started making it, and then all that inspiration seemed to go out the window.

Tim was actually very right in this case. The coat weighed everything down (the skirt did too because that seemed to be the same material). If she had gone with a different material and planned things with the female form in mind instead of as a total accident of "Crap, this skirt isn't long enough and now her butt's showing," maybe she would have had a much better and more amazing (and maybe even winning) outfit.

I hated the final outcome -- and the nudity that came with it -- because it all felt like a terrible mistake. Not a careful reveal or an appreciation of female form. It was a mess and it was so bad. And it certainly didn't evoke Tinkerbell or magic and lightness. 

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 8

I thought Laurie's "circle" fabric was very pretty, but it needed to be worked with--and she didn't. A lining would have helped give shape and support, and the fabric needed some darts to fit the model's body. Laurie just wrapped a stiff piece of fabric around the model and it looked awful, and not just because it was not solid enough to be decent. This was a major fail.

• Love 3

I agree-- I loved Swapnil's design, but while I thought the pink was pretty, another color would have worked better.

As for Lindsey, I think your words perfectly described the effect of the model's boobs looking like part of her chest :) That yellow was hideous!!! Blech!!!

I meant to say part of her waist, d'oh!!

Just....wow. That pic gives a whole new meaning to "pursing her lips"!

• Love 3

I think Swapnil could have been in the top with a nice blue color on bottom. No one wins with baby pink, nor should they! Ick

I liked Edmunds. Thought it was editorial. (TM Nina Garcia). The pants were fierce (TM Heidi). Lol

Fierce - TM Christian Siriano,I believe

• Love 3

Does anyone else find the irony in the fact that the worst insult a judge can give a designer is that their clothes look"matronly," or look like clothes for "an old lady," etc., and the biggest complement is how "young" the design is and how young women would love to wear the clothes? And YET, one of their major sponsors is AARP.

Since reaching a "certain age," I admit to feeling invisible and very sensitive to the word "matronly," so maybe it's just me.

• Love 18

Does anyone else find the irony in the fact that the worst insult a judge can give a designer is that their clothes look"matronly," or look like clothes for "an old lady," etc., and the biggest complement is how "young" the design is and how young women would love to wear the clothes? And YET, one of their major sponsors is AARP.

Since reaching a "certain age," I admit to feeling invisible and very sensitive to the word "matronly," so maybe it's just me.

Agree, I commented on the AARP sponsorship in another thread too. And don't forget neither Heidi or Nina are exactly part of the youth culture, yet they think when they say "I would wear that" to a design somehow that carries weight. Their message is mixed at best. And honestly I would take the word "matronly" over the profoundly irritating "mumsy" they've suddenly come up with this season.

• Love 6