Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Heavy Is The Head

thewhiteowl

Olivia and Fitz are back together again and enjoying every scandalous moment together while Cyrus, Mellie and Huck are all still dealing with the aftermath of helping Command. Meanwhile, when a visit from the Queen of Caldonia and her family turns into a tragedy, Olivia is hired to make sure the Royal family’s private life stays private.

Sally might be a witch and a massive hypocrite, but Fitz really is an awful president. Who am I supposed to root for?

Both are, Sally has her fun moments like that laughable crispy piggy scene though.

• Love 2

This show is both fun and exasperating. I know a lot of people don't like Huck but I really liked his scene with Olivia in her apartment. I thought it was really well done.

The Queen as the killer was kind of obvious but I did like how the show ended the story with the son being a decent guy and a nice Olivia "Hell yeah!" Moment. Plus she got to screw with Fitz too.

I hate the Olivia and Fitz relationship. I think it is stupid. I did get a chuckle when Fitz tried to tell Olivia his hopes and plans and she made him look at reality. Fitz doesn't do well with reality.

Not good then that Sally hit them with a reality bomb. .

• Love 8

I thought it was a good premiere. The show feels back on track. Clearly, Mellie and Cyrus will be back in the White House by the end of the season, but I like Fitz enjoying his moments of freedom. I knew that Olivia would back out, she always does. She has the most to lose so I don't blame her. 

This is one of the few cases of the weeks that I have liked. I didn't figure out that the Queen did until half way through and I liked how the Prince banished his mother. 

• Love 3

Fitz didn't earn either term as President. I don't know if I'll watch again, but I do wonder who leaked their affair (this time).

My money is on Abby and Lizzy. Did you see the look on Abby's face when she walked in on Olivia an Fitz? She wasn't happy. Abby had been told in no uncertain terms that Fitz would not be attending Mellie's thing but then Olvia basically snuck into the White House and convinced him to and no one told her.,,,or his chief of staff. Yeah I'd be a little stabby. Weren't Olivia and Abby friends once? Bros before hos ladies.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

I really didn't like that they did a Scandal twist of the Princess Di tragedy. Can we put a moratorium on dead princesses and their lovers in crashed cars in tunnels surrounded by paparazzi? Even Banksy's Dismaland knows that's tired and done.

Olivia really didn't look that happy when Fitz announced his divorce. Maybe she's finally realized that dealing with Fitz 24-7 will be a handful. The guy is clingy. Plus, he was a real dick to Mellie. They've both done terrible things, but she's always put his career first and now that she's the one with the career, he's going to threaten to torpedo it just like that? Not cool. I felt bad for her and I'm not even a fan of Mellie. Besides, I still fail to see how the latest betrayals of Cyrus and Mellie are any different than all their previous ones. Fitz should know them well enough to expect that kind of behavior.

Olivia looked stunning in that black ruffled couture dress. That was the highlight of the episode for me.

• Love 7

Olivia really didn't look that happy when Fitz announced his divorce. Maybe she's finally realized that dealing with Fitz 24-7 will be a handful.

Oh I wish she'd go gladiator on him.

• Love 2

Oh, Fitz. Stay classy, ya daddy's boy. I'll give him half a cookie for finally taking some ownership with Liv for dragging her in his relationship with Mellie and making a stand for anything. I mean, he's got what, two years in the white house left? His popularity should make Nixon look like Roosevelt in comparison, so why not?

Can it be that B613 is finally dead and gone? I hope so.

Yeah, I figured out the "twist" in the next scene. I'm currently watching it air in San Diego. As obvious as it was, it's still one of the most enjoyable episodes I've seen since mid season three.

• Love 1

Besides, I still fail to see how the latest betrayals of Cyrus and Mellie are any different than all their previous ones. Fitz should know them well enough to expect that kind of behavior.

Not only that, but he can trust Cyrus and Mellie.  Say what you will about their morality, but they are ride or die.  It makes no sense that he would go with a different inner circle that is totally untrustworthy.  Plus, his sorry ass is not squeaky clean.  This is the same fool that allowed innocent people to die to keep his mistress alive.  Please.  Spare me the high horse.  I hate Fitz.

Olivia is not stupid.  She knows that she and Fitz only work if they are sneaking around.  24/7 of him would drive her bat shit with all that whining he does.

Edited by ToukieSmith
  • Love 9

So the senior Whitehouse official that outed Olivia and Fitz, Abby? Or was it a tagtime of her and new COS. Now they seem like BFF's who chat about how much they don't know in the Whitehouse. Just shows how both of them aren't in the circle and don't belong and Fitz needs Cyrus back.

I guess I'll go over to the other side of the room because I found the episode to be totally boring.  How many times do we have to watch Fitz and Olivia get together and then....nope, they're not.  It's a yawn.  The show just isn't clever anymore.  It really hasn't been since season two.  I'm pretty much done and it's not even close to must see TV.

Didn't watch the whole episode.  I kept flipping over to the Giants game but really,  Olivia gets a phone call and manages to get dressed and over to the scene of a tragic auto 'accident' before the police have pushed the paparazzi back and gotten control?  OK.  Sure.

The only scenes I like anymore are with Mellie.  She's probably the most interesting character on the show anymore. 

• Love 2

Not only that, but he can trust Cyrus and Mellie. Say what you will about their morality, but they are ride or die. It makes no sense that he would go with a different inner circle that is totally untrustworthy. Plus, his sorry ass is not squeaky clean. This is the same fool that allowed innocent people to die to keep his mistress alive. Please. Spare me the high horse. I hate Fitz.

Olivia is not stupid. She knows that she and Fitz only work if they are sneaking around. 24/7 of him would drive her bat shit with all that whining he does.

Hehehe, right?

And once again, at the end, he made everything all about him and how Olivia can do this to him, blah blah blah whatever. She's always been career driven, or has Fitz forgotten this in the last six years?

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 2

I find it hard to believe that Abby has spent all this time around the happy couple and didn't even suspect that they were having an affair.  Or maybe it was the surprise of "Dammit, you two are at it again!"

Olivia, if you're going to shank someone with the power to order an assassination, you better have a double jointed neck so you can watch over your shoulder for the rest of your life.  And since you just cost President TrumpGrant his precious military base, don't automatically assume that he will send in battalions of Marines to save you next time. 

• Love 1

Can it be that B613 is finally dead and gone? I hope so.

Hopefully it stays forgotten.

O-M-G!  Ditto!   I love Joe Morton, but I have had enough of him and B613 to last me three lifetimes.  Personally, I prefer NOT to see Daddy Pope, Mama Pope OR Jake.  But since Jake is being conjured up by Huck so who knows what's gonna happen next week.

And of all of the 'gladiators' that we started with, Olivia is down to only one...the one that I don't like.  She really needs to work on staffing up.  :-D   IMO, Quinn never really 'fit'...at least not for me. I'd almost...ALMOST...rather have Abby back in the fold as it almost feels as if they are trying to MAKE her fit into the Press Secretary character.  Of course, I know it's wrong of me to compare her with The West Wing's C.J. Cregg but that character spoiled me completely.  :-)

Lastly, I hope they continue with the case-of-the-week format, Olivia and Fitz relationship issues, and a sprinkling of storylines for the other cast members.  I think the show works much better that way, but that may take a while since Olivia's office has gone from a team of 6 to only 2.  Ugh!  And, as mentioned, there has been WAY too much of the B613 crapola for the past few seasons.  Enough already.

• Love 3

I thought it was pretty good but I'm Olitz all the way.    I'll be impressed if she keeps them together and makes the drama about them being together and the fall out...much more interesting than will they/won't they for 1000th time.  

That said, I expect her to be back with Jake by Thanksgiving.  :/

Fitz looked older....the hair, or weight loss, or something.  I prefer the messy head, not the slicked back old man do. Still yummy, but different....

• Love 3

See, part of me thinks Olivia only thinks she loves Fitz because she can't "have" him.  Half of the appeal is the affair.  Maybe that's why she was not loving that he got his divorce and they could now be openly together?

Also, Fitz is still an ass.  I wish Mellie would just say that she didn't know that would happen to the jurors.  He acts like she personally killed them herself.  I really will never like his self-righteous act. :/

Did like the case-of-the-week and I really hope the show moves back to the OPA office and gets more gladiators.

• Love 1

I thought that her conversation with the princess gave Liv a revelation about what her life will be like if she's with Fitz full-time, hence why she wasn't too happy about the divorce. 

Also, Fitz once again making decisions for both of them (that will massively affect both of them) without talking it through with Liv first.

• Love 5

I thought that her conversation with the princess gave Liv a revelation about what her life will be like if she's with Fitz full-time, hence why she wasn't too happy about the divorce.

Also, Fitz once again making decisions for both of them (that will massively affect both of them) without talking it through with Liv first.

And she'd probably get knocked up by the bodyguard (Jake) too.
  • Love 5

I enjoyed the episode.  I was shocked when the princess was dead. (But I hadn't watched any promos or anything, so maybe it wasn't supposed to be a surprise.)  While I enjoyed it, I did think it was tasteless as it copied Diana's death. They could have had the accident occur somewhere other than a tunnel.

Biggest disappointment was that Huck was alive. Quinn should have "put him down" at the end of last season. He'll never be redeemable to me.  

I really loved this premiere, so I'm in the massive minority. If Shonda could write episodes all the time, I'd be happy. Her dialogue is awesome.

This was oldskool Scandal, and oldskool Grey's. The Case of the Week mirroring the lives of the main characters. I thought the princess was a hybrid of Kate Middleton (commoner makes good) and Amal Clooney (human rights lawyer married to the most eligible bachelor) before she became a full-on Princess Di. But yes, I like the idea that it was a preview of her life with Fitz -- a woman losing her career identity to be largely ornamental, and entirely defined by her relationship.

It's why I infinitely preferred season 1 and 2 Olivia and Fitz, as opposed to season 3 onward -- when it was about power and sex and being addicted to both, not "Let's make jam in Vermont." I'm not entirely certain that Liv wants a "normal" life or would be happy in it (as evidenced by her not exactly being happy about divorce papers). She wants the thrill of adultery, with the respectability (but not the predictability) of marriage.

But to me, Jake isn't the answer either (he has nothing to offer her other than ~love -- he has no power). I'd really like to see Bachelor #3. Maybe they'll chemistry test her with Marcus from last season.

This was such an interesting relationship dynamic that Shonda tried to present here -- and I'm sure her less talented writers will oversimplify it next week -- but for the first time in a long time, this was the Scandal I knew, loved and remembered. A Liv-focused episode. What a novel idea.

• Love 2

I wonder if the princess being pregnant with someone else's child was also suppose to be a callback to Diana? (There's been speculation about Harry's paternity)

I enjoyed that. This show is great if you don't try and look for any reality.

And frankly it was fantastic to have an episode where I didn't hear the words B613!

• Love 3
Did anyone really not see the Queen as the killer? Come on Olivia.

I didn't (small voice).  I was like, "Oh, cool, it's the Queen!  What a neat twist!!".

She needs to hire Gladiators.  1 person running a business that used to be 6.  Shivering Huck counts for butkus.

...and I still marvel every single episode how the woman who was worth 1 billion on the black market 6 months ago still walks around the streets alone and lives in an apartment with 4 locks obtained at Home Depot.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 7
Sally might be a witch and a massive hypocrite, but Fitz really is an awful president. Who am I supposed to root for?

Last night, I did a fist pump that Sally got the goods on Olitz, who I cannot STAND together. And I'm no fan of Sally.

Fitz' speech to Mellie? Shut up, you massively hypocritical, smarmy douche who walked around the whole episode with an "I just got LAID" smirk on his face.

Yeah, and count me in as being creeped out that the accident in the tunnel was just a little too closely identified with Diana.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 9

Fitz looked older....the hair, or weight loss, or something.  I prefer the messy head, not the slicked back old man do. Still yummy, but different....

I thought Tony was looking better than I've saw him look in years.

• Love 3

As always, Fitz needs to have more seats than the Superdome & the Staples Center combined. For one thing, at least half of what Fitz has achieved on his so-called "bucket list" has been because of Mellie. Mellie's no saint by a long shot, but she's not the one who killed those jurors. If Mellie and/or Cyrus were behind who outed Olitz , I wouldn't blame them.

I'm not the biggest Sally fan, but I love her for putting Olitz on blast. I've been expecting/waiting for that moment from the start-especially after last season's finale- and it delivered, with a vengeance.  Sally may have her fair share of sins including murder, but at the show isn't trying to sell her as a tragic hero, ala Fitz, who's done just as bad and/or worse than Sally. Olitz had better enjoy that marathon booty call they had at the beginning of the episode 'cause I don't see too many of those happening again anytime soon.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 10

I wonder if the princess being pregnant with someone else's child was also suppose to be a callback to Diana? (There's been speculation about Harry's paternity)

There have also been rumors that Diana was pregnant with her boyfriend's baby at the time, and as a result the British royal family ordered the hit.  That was one reason I thought this was tasteless. 

But good tv! 

I liked the Scandal of the week with the Princess Di thing.  But why, oh why, didn't Quinn put Huck to sleep?  Wouldn't that be the kindest thing to do instead of letting him (and us) suffer?  Besides the actor who plays him is just awful.  He has one expression, scowly.  I skipped through the whiny crying.

And Liv being outed as Fitz's mistress?  Didn't they do that a couple of seasons ago?  The hanging on the balcony scene was pretty bad.  How there would not be a bizillion paps within camera range is beyond impossible and the green screen is awful.  Since she is now outed, wouldn't everyone know she was the reason that stupid war started and people died over it?  How would there not be impeachment hearings started?

I starting to get a headache so I have to stop thinking about this show.  As least there was no organization who shall not be named.

• Love 2

I think whoever outed "Olitz" will be a new character coming in this season. Perhaps a new power player.

I can't see Abby betraying Olivia and Liz will not be stupid enough to do that to her new employer.

Cyrus and Mellie are looking for a way back in Fitz's good graces so I don't think it's them.

There's one possible guy though. He-Whose-Organization-Shall-Not-Be-Named who is currently rotting in jail.

If it turns out to be him, GAHHH!

• Love 2

I'm not the biggest Sally fan, but I love her for putting Olitz on blast. I've been expecting/waiting for that moment from the start-especially after last season's finale- and it delivered, with a vengeance.  Sally may have her fair share of sins including murder, but at the show isn't trying to sell her as a tragic hero, ala Fitz, who's done just as bad and/or worse than Sally. Olitz had better enjoy that marathon booty call they had at the beginning of the episode 'cause I don't see too many of those happening again anytime soon.

This, but what caught my eye was the elevator pics, secret service behind's this, no? Although as toodles said, this has happened. Isn't that why Liv went to hide out with Jake on that island?

Part of me wished that Olivia said "Checkmate, bitch!  Black queen wins!" after telling off the queen of made up land.

And Mellie got a bunch of "reason you suck speeches" in one episode.  So far, it's my favorite season.

Also, did Huck turn into Caliban from The Tempest between seasons or what?  Olivia is fine with him crashing on her couch!?  You feel safe, Liv?

And, to teach Fitz "boundaries", Liv royally fucked up naval base placement.  So long as lessons were learned, huh Liv?

• Love 1

And Liv being outed as Fitz's mistress?  Didn't they do that a couple of seasons ago?  The hanging on the balcony scene was pretty bad.  How there would not be a bizillion paps within camera range is beyond impossible and the green screen is awful.  Since she is now outed, wouldn't everyone know she was the reason that stupid war started and people died over it?  How would there not be impeachment hearings started?

I starting to get a headache so I have to stop thinking about this show.  As least there was no organization who shall not be named.

It's just a continuation of the lazy writing that has been going on for the last couple of seasons.  Yep, that balcony can be directly seen if you're down by the ellipse. I can give a little leeway but really?  

• Love 3

After some internal debate, I watched this and was pleased that it didn't completely suck. I could easily FF the schmoopy Olitz parts and the rest was somewhat interesting. I liked catching up with the characters. Liv, girl when you hide from your friend and lie you know you are doing wrong. lol  Fitz is never less appealing than when on his sanctimonious high horse. And going with divorce papers without even telling Liv? Big screwing of the pooch. She always says okay then backs out. He is so pussy-whipped I bet she was shocked he didn't cave on the murder for the Navy base of Made-upland, I know I was.

Abby and Liz could be a good dynamic. Huck is so pathetic and now Liv doesn't know how to fix him? She always did before. Quinn doing the work of the whole team was good. 

I found it a huge plot hole that the Princess of Exposition had to point out to Liv, of all people how hard it is to be in the public eye.  Seriously? That was weak.  That should not have been news to Liv, the billion dollar mistress/ fixer.

• Love 1

I'm sick of Huck too, mainly because he clearly needs more help than Liv or Jake can give him - they've slid him so far that I'm like, okay, get him some inpatient therapy and some meds. And if he did that, great! But they're clearly not going to do that, so just kill him.

There's no way those dead princess photos would stay off the internet, but OK.

I like the format - we've returned to the case of the week, which I dig. And I like Liz finding her voice, and also Mellie finally getting it - everything - in the scene with Cyrus. 

Also, Kerry looked stunning in the couture dress. Her hair was perfect, her makeup was on point, and the dress was amazing. Maybe the best she's looked.

• Love 5

Aw, I like Jake but maybe that's because I've loved him since Felicity. Don't get me wrong, I hate B316 but I love SF.

I knew the Queen did it the moment we met her after the princess's death. She didn't seem too broken up over there being pictures of it over the world, at least not the way her son did.

I think Liv feels that when she goes public, she will lose all her power and just be attracted to Fitz. I think that's what the show was trying to tell us when she was talking with the princess.

I think Lizzie is the one who outed Fitz and Liv. She said to Abby she doesn't like being undermined and when she was told by Abby that the president did go to to Mellie's swearing in and didn't inform her and that Liv and Fitz were an item, well.. it seems likely. Although I hope it was Mellie/Cyrus because Fitz needs to take a lot of seats down when he was talking to her in last's episode. Like.. a lot.

• Love 3

I find it hard to believe that Abby has spent all this time around the happy couple and didn't even suspect that they were having an affair.  Or maybe it was the surprise of "Dammit, you two are at it again!"

Olivia, if you're going to shank someone with the power to order an assassination, you better have a double jointed neck so you can watch over your shoulder for the rest of your life.  And since you just cost President TrumpGrant his precious military base, don't automatically assume that he will send in battalions of Marines to save you next time. 

In this episode, Abby did suspect that the happy couple were together, asked Olivia about it, and Olivia lied to her face.

Although I do not remember -- who, if anyone among the Gladiators, explicitly and actually knew about Olitz? I remember that they early on had to dampen rumors of Olitz, by coming up with another woman. 

One of the things that rung hollow for me is that given that Olivia is Olivia, and she specifically pointed out to the Prince who murdered his wife, one would think that she could use her Olivianess to get that military base if she wanted to. Also it was no given that the Queen was going to allow the base anyway.

• Love 1

It was pretty ridiculous to have the Princess talking about people not thinking of her as a real person, and Olivia yelling to the media to have some respect

...during a whole episode that mimicked Princess Diana's death and the rumors that Harry is illegitimate.

But mostly, can't you think of your own plot lines, Scandal, instead of rehashing a story from years ago with a "twist" that most could see coming from a mile away?

Oh, and Fitz? Still the worst. He has no right to yell at anyone about being in the wrong.

Edited by mooses
  • Love 6

Yuck, yuck, yuck why did I watch this again? I swore I would abandon it after the ridiculousness of last season. Maybe I have hope for impeachment? I can't figure out who I'm supposed to root for on this show. Zombie James to come back from the dead and eat the lot of them? That's all I've got right now.

Doesn't America already know Olivia is Fitz's mistress? Isn't that why she ran away to the island with Jake?  

One of the things that rung hollow for me is that given that Olivia is Olivia, and she specifically pointed out to the Prince who murdered his wife, one would think that she could use her Olivianess to get that military base if she wanted to. Also it was no given that the Queen was going to allow the base anyway.

This gives me hope that somewhere in her soul she knows he is a jackass and that he has mostly squandered her extensive intervention on his behalf (despite the apparently magical powers of his penis).

• Love 1