Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I think the Browns are nicely positioned, but for me I would have rather fired Hue Jackson than Sashi Brown. They HAVE to come away from this offseason with a franchise QB.  Heck, I would do what the Redskins did when they drafted RGIII in the first and Kirk Cousins in the 4th.  Cousins came in handy when RGIII flamed out.

The other thing that may have cost the Browns a few times is that from what the Pats front office has said, it's difficult making deals with the Browns front office as they want to do everything by consensus rather than having one person clearly in charge. The AJ McCarron debacle would seem to suggest that as well.

1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

I think the Browns are nicely positioned, but for me I would have rather fired Hue Jackson than Sashi Brown. They HAVE to come away from this offseason with a franchise QB. 

But wasn’t it Carson Wentz who said Hue sent him part of the Browns playbook and was clear about wanting him and then the front office traded down the pick?  I assume there might be more instances like that one that allows Hue another chance.

9 hours ago, mojoween said:

It’s a spirited competition with the Pats and Cowboys but the Ravens come out on top every time.

For me it’s the Squeelers & the Ravens.  But since Mr. Roamyn is a huge Squeeler fan, I hate the Ravens more.  Which is odd, because I don’t fault Baltimore or their fans at all and I detest anything else Pissburgh.

This cat on ESPN was talking about, since apparently he’s a fortune teller and knows that Pittsburgh will beat New England in the AFC championship game, that the Tennessee game could be the last win for the trio of Belichick, Brady and Kraft.

He then says that we should enjoy it, because there won’t be anything like it again, and we’re going to miss it.

The FUCK you talking about dude?  Miss it?  I’ve been waiting for it to be gone for ten years!  Way to take the pulse of the sports nation.

New England, Alabama, LeBron, Duke (*sob*), the Yankees (*sniffle*), the Cowboys...all are HATED amongst many people who are not their fans.  People ROOT for them to fail, and fail hard.

That statement was mind-boggling.  Fine.  If I say I’ll miss you, will you just go already?

• Love 7
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

New England, Alabama, LeBron, Duke (*sob*), the Yankees (*sniffle*), the Cowboys...all are HATED amongst many people who are not their fans.  People ROOT for them to fail, and fail hard.

PREACH!!

• Love 3

They don't want to try. They want most teams to go 8-8 or 9-7 so games will think their team always is close to the playoffs right down to week 17. Maybe one year they get a lucky bounce and win ten or eleven and get in. No one largely wants to take risks. 

ESPN has a show called NFL’s Greatest Games and today is the 2014 playoff game between Green Bay and Dallas, otherwise known as “Dez Caught It.”

They showed the replay nine million times in a minute and honestly, each time I saw it, I changed my mind on whether it was a good catch or not.

Obviously I was NOT in any way rooting for Dallas and can’t think of any reason why I ever would, but they showed a clip of Dez on the sideline incredulous that it would ever not be a catch and it made me sad to see him that sad. Damn him.

Dallas did have more chances though so that one play wasn’t the whole reason they lost.

It’s how I feel about Scott Norwood. Yeah, he missed the kick, but that Buffalo offense could have done more any time throughout the game to not have to rely on the leg of one man.

On an unrelated note, Randall Cobb has the most striking eyes of any human I have ever seen.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

ESPN has a show called NFL’s Greatest Games and today is the 2014 playoff game between Green Bay and Dallas, otherwise known as “Dez Caught It.”

They showed the replay nine million times in a minute and honestly, each time I saw it, I changed my mind on whether it was a good catch or not.

Obviously I was NOT in any way rooting for Dallas and can’t think of any reason why I ever would, but they showed a clip of Dez on the sideline incredulous that it would ever not be a catch and it made me sad to see him that sad. Damn him.

Dallas did have more chances though so that one play wasn’t the whole reason they lost.

It’s how I feel about Scott Norwood. Yeah, he missed the kick, but that Buffalo offense could have done more any time throughout the game to not have to rely on the leg of one man.

On an unrelated note, Randall Cobb has the most striking eyes of any human I have ever seen.

The call on the field was a catch.   If there is not indisputable visual evidence that he did not catch it, then the call should stand.   

The problem is replay is substituting considered judgment after reviewing a play 50 million times from multiple angles for the call in real time.   Will they get it right every time in real time?   Of course not.   But replay isn't make the game better or the calls more accurate either.  So just go with STANDS and let the players play.

• Love 1

That was a good win for Philly. I can understand why they were the underdog,in this game but they grinded it out and won. Atlanta OTOH came up short again in the playoffs. I had figured that they was going to come up short again and not make the Superbowl this year. 

I did pick them to win this game in the football pool, (though I originally was going to pick Philly but changed my pick because I thought they were at a disadvantage to Atlanta). But I still thought that even if Atlanta had advanced they were going to lose to the Saints/Vikings. Atlanta has been uneven all season long and they are not as good as they were last year.

Edited by Jx223

The NFC just cannot send repeat champions to the Super Bowl, but the AFC sends some computation of Pats/Steelers/Broncos/Colts every year.  With the Ravens a couple of times too.

And honestly the Broncos and Colts are basically the same team because of Peyton.

• Love 2

Absolutely just ridiculous, all year, repeatedly, calls being overturned in favor of the Pats

That overturned false start was critical, horrible and absolutely the wrong call.  And not just a bad call, but the fact they had the right call and OVERTURNED IT.  From a 3 and out and Tenn getting the ball around midfield to a 90 yard time consuming TD drive. 

• Love 8

After the excitement of the Falcons/Eagles game I was coming into the Pats/Titans game ready to watch a good game. It was clear from the beginning who is probably going to win. I turned on my DVR instead. It's not a game worth watching play by play-I'll flip over in another 30 minutes to see what the score is but I'm sure I wont be surprised.

• Love 2

I feel like with the way that things goes for the Patriots it's very important for teams to get ahead of them quickly. And then try and keep a large lead over them. Teams need to leave as little room as possible for shenanigans/controversial calls/no calls to be game enders.

The Saints is one team left in the playoffs that I feel can do this. I feel like Drew Brees and that team can hang enough points on the Patriots to where they can survive these things. The Jags could slow then down, but would benefit more with better QB play. The Steelers I think might have another close game where things ends up going the Patriots way. The Vikings might have a chance against them.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 4

Mariotta's been sacked seven times and the Titans are getting torched 35-7. That's not the refs. One blown call doesn't affect the outcome of an entire game. There were also a couple of holds against Gronk that the refs missed. The Patriots are just a better team.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, twoods said:

My blood pressure is way down not watching this game. Blown calls to keep the Pats in the first half, and now a blowout. Not worth the rage. 

Yep; I watched Animal Planet's programming instead, and now I'm watching an old episode of Major Crimes in syndication despite the conflicting emotions fans of the show will know that causes me in light of the show's recent, final arc.  I check in during commercials, but, nope, of all the ways I could fire up my emotions tonight, watching the Pats advance was last on the list, since there would be nothing to counter-act the negative.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

The NFC just cannot send repeat champions to the Super Bowl, but the AFC sends some computation of Pats/Steelers/Broncos/Colts every year.  With the Ravens a couple of times too.

And honestly the Broncos and Colts are basically the same team because of Peyton.

It's really annoying.

c2meKL0.png

9 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Mariotta's been sacked seven times and the Titans are getting torched 35-7. That's not the refs. One blown call doesn't affect the outcome of an entire game. There were also a couple of holds against Gronk that the refs missed. The Patriots are just a better team.

The blown calls might have made it 35-14.   That's it.    The Titans got outplayed.    They need an o-line.   Mariota was running for his life or flat on his back most of the time.   You can't throw the ball well when that is happening.   he overthrew a lot of receivers too.   That wasn't the refs.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, nowandlater said:

It's really annoying.

c2meKL0.png

And 2001 was Dilfer for the Ravens.  It boggles the mind, why the AFC has no parity but the NFC does.

I mean, in the years from that picture, I believe the only repeat QB’s are Manning, Rodgers and Wilson, twice each.  That’s six out of 17 years, 18 if you add 2001.

Oh wait, I lied.  Seattle went back to back, didn't they?  Damn you Pete Carroll.  I hate remembering your stupidity.

Wait a minute, I think my analogy is falling apart because in the years shown, Warner may also be a repeat for two teams.

Edited by mojoween

NFC Version:

2002: Warner

2003: B. Johnson

2004: Delhomme

2005: McNabb

2006: Hasselbeck

2007: Grossman

2008: E. Manning

2009: Warner

2010: Brees

2011: Rodgers

2012: E. Manning

2013: Kaepernick

2014: Wilson

2015: Wilson

2016: Newton

2017: Ryan

14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Aaron Rodgers has only been in one Super Bowl?  So we’re back to three QB’s six times with one of them back to back and the rest are not going to the Hall of Fame.  ‘Cept Brees.

Warner is already in the HoF.

Oh yeah I meant the others who were not one of the three who have been to multiple SB are not going to the HOF.  Eli is marginal and we’ll see about Wilson.

Oh and I guess I need to add Rodgers to my list of those who are going to the Hall.  Warner is in, Rodgers and Brees will get in and we’ll see about the rest.  And of those, only Eli is the closest to getting in.

• Love 1

If the result right now holds up through the second half, the possibility of the Bortles Bowl is still in play!

It just amuses me so much that Chris Simms ranked Blake Bortles 70th amongst active quarterbacks and since then has gone on The LeBatard Show every day to say which QB he has ranked higher (we are up to around 48) and yet Jacksonville has a real shot to go to the SB with a QB who is ranked (by one guy, admittedly) after people you may have never heard of.

Also, a 15 yard penalty for pointing at someone is absurd.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

So I picked the Steelers to win the Superbowl...just mostly because I hate the Pats more than them....but I am thoroughly enjoying seeing the Steelers get romped right now.  I hope the Jags finish them off even if it means my bracket will be blown to hell. 

• Love 1

I really hope that the Jags keep this up because the defense possibly beating up the Pats would be glorious to watch. Who am I kidding...the Pats will somehow make it anyways because I can't have anything nice. 

• Love 5

Yes brady, Roethlisberger, manning, that's been it in the afc for a generation. 

While the calls did not go Tenn. way in the first half, they just looked bad the whole game.  Mariota did not look good.  The D could not stop them. 

Rumors are that McDaniels is the likely new coach in Indy.  I'd be Ok with it.  Certainly an improvement over Pagano. 

On the topic of NFC QBs, Cam Newton COULD make the HOF, but too early to tell. 

Eli will be that marginal case that tests how much SBs count for QBs.  I have always though "SB wins" for QBs is way overrated, they get too much credit.  ANd I don't think ELi is a HOFer. 

But then Bob Griese is in the HOF because of 2 SB wins.  And heck he did not even play the majority of the year in their perfect season.  Earl Morrall did.  He is probably the closest comparison to Eli. 

But then Eli has only made 4 Pro Bowls and no All pro teams.  Griese made 8 Pro Bowls and 2 all pro teams.

The advantage for Eli is he really did have a lot to do with the Giants two SB runs, whereas as Griese really didnt

ANd I am not being biased or saying that based on different eras, revisionist history, etc

1972  the year they went undefeated :  During the regular season he played 5 games.  He went, TOTAL, 53/97 for 638 yards, 4 TDs and 4 INTs.  Yes, different ears, but still....

In the playoffs :  3 of 5 70 yards in one game and 8 of 11 for 88 yards in the SB. 

The next year in the playoffs, another SB win :

11 of 18 for 159 yards in the divisional round.  OK, not bad

3 of 6 for 34 yards

6 of 7 for 73 yards in the SB. 

He was 7-5 in the playoffs.  5 of his 7 wins he completed less than 10 passes.  The other two were the 11 completion game and one he had about 20. 

He never went a playoff game after the 1974 playoffs, the latter half of his career.

I want the Jaguars to win, because I hate Big Rapist, even though that will mean I'll have to hear more about the "Jagwires."  At least they're not playing Cincinnati; the only thing worse would be hearing about the "Jagwires versus the Bangles."

• Love 9

Oh my fuck was Jalen Ramsey completely screwed on that personal foul call.  Pittsburgh coming back in this game is making my blood pressure rise.  I mean, fuck the Steelers.  Fuck the Killer B’s too, only Killer B’s I recognize are in Houston.

McDaniels and Patricia were on the fast track to be the Giants new head coach so naturally Patricia is going to Detroit and McDaniels is going to Indy.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, twoods said:

I think we all know what's coming. Time to turn off the TV before I get ragey. Have the steelers had any flags on them today?

One so far, at least that was last I heard before I muted the TV.

• Love 1

Oh this is funny... (the question was to rank your top three receivers)

Terrell Owens

@terrellowens

Wow Bill! That’s how u feel?! U might want to research my plays! #entitledtoyouropiniontho lol @marcusnash32

Bill Simmons

@BillSimmons

Rice will always be no. 1 for me, and Moss is definitely 2, but Brown might be 3.

3:49 PM · Jan 14, 2018 from Monrovia, CA

Edited by mojoween
1 hour ago, FuriousStyles said:

So I picked the Steelers to win the Superbowl...just mostly because I hate the Pats more than them....but I am thoroughly enjoying seeing the Steelers get romped right now.  I hope the Jags finish them off even if it means my bracket will be blown to hell. 

My bracket was blown to hell yesterday, I picked the Falcons to win the Superbowl.

I just hope Jacksonville can kick Patriot ass

• Love 2

This Jags/Steelers matchup was a good game.  Leonard Forunette/Big Ben/Antonio Brown played well. And Blake hung in there. I am glad that the Jags won. They did a nice job of staying ahead of the Steelers even when the Steelers made impressive plays. I think that the Jags may have a better shot of beating the Patriots next week than the Steelers would have had. I think that if the Steelers had faced the Patriots next week, they would have lost again.

I hope that the Jags beat the Patriots. I think they need to try and play against the Patriots in a similar manner like they played today.  

• Love 2

Oof.  Steelers.  That was crazy ugly.  I was rooting for them but I give much credit to the Jaguars for beating them at the Steelers' home, twice in a season.  Now go do that to the Patriots and kick their arses.  

• Love 1