Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, roamyn said:

He’s pissed because now there’s been some push back due to his behavior, but he keeps shooting himself in the foot (or mouth).

If only he'd shoot himself in the dick, the world would be just a smidgen safer for women.

• Love 2

Jacoby Brissett had a very impressive start in the Colts game today against the Falcons. Overall he was solid in today's game. I'm glad to see him doing a nice job and helping the team get some wins. I am interested in seeing how the season shakes out for the Colts.

Also, the Bills and Packers continue to have a nice start to their seasons and are now 3-0.  I wonder how well the Bills will end up doing especially since two teams in their division the Jets/Dolphins are really struggling right now.

Speaking of the Dolphins, I continue to feel bad for Josh Rosen. He's in another bad situation, and he was trying today, but his team is bad. And he was getting pretty roughed up in the Cowboys game. Maybe he will eventually find himself in a better situation. 

Also, the Ravens/Chiefs games had some interesting plays in it. I think that the Ravens definitely made a mistake going for two at one point in the game when they would have been better off kicking the field goal and ended up being down 11. They lost, but I will give credit to Mark Ingram, who played very well and was fighting hard for yardage and first downs. And some of their receivers who made some great catches. 

Edited by Jx223
21 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

I think that the Ravens definitely made a mistake going for two at one point in the game when they would have been better off kicking the field goal

Think you meant kick the PAT, but who the hell goes for two when scoring a TD on their very first possession, unless their kicker is dead or incompetent, neither of which describes Justin Tucker?  And that forced them to go for two again, unsuccessfully, near the end of the game.  

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Think you meant kick the PAT, but who the hell goes for two when scoring a TD on their very first possession, unless their kicker is dead or incompetent, neither of which describes Justin Tucker?  And that forced them to go for two again, unsuccessfully, near the end of the game.  

Well, stupid offensive plays seems to run in the Harbaugh family.

• LOL 5

Kyle Allen did a really nice job today of helping lead the Panthers to their first (and much needed) win of the season. The offense did a nice job today and the defense seemed energized as well against the Cardinals.

I also thought that Daniel Jones had a good debut as a starter. He made nice plays and did a good job of leading them down the field at the end of the game and helping them get the win.. His ability to run definitely helped the Giants a lot.  I am interested in seeing how he develops and grows as a QB.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Fuck Dallas sideways.

Hey, now, the Giants are only two games behind.  They started 0-2 in 2007, too...

Not actually getting my hopes up at all.  Mostly relieved they won't be going 0-16.

And because it needs to be said more often, fuck Dall-ass sideways, forwards and backwards.  Fuck Jurr-uh, too.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

He made nice plays and did a good job of leading them down the field at the end of the game and helping them get the win.

Shouldn't have, though. What is going on with kickers these days?

1 minute ago, meowmommy said:

And because it needs to be said more often, fuck Dall-ass sideways, forwards and backwards.  Fuck Jurr-uh, too.

Oh, they're going to be insufferable this year. If it's Patriots-Cowboys in the SB, I will definitely be on Team Meteor.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

Kyle Allen did a really nice job today of helping lead the Panthers to their first (and much needed) win of the season. The offense did a nice job today and the defense seemed energized as well against the Cardinals.

I also thought that Daniel Jones had a good debut as a starter. He made nice plays and did a good job of leading them down the field at the end of the game and helping them get the win.. His ability to run definitely helped the Giants a lot.  I am interested in seeing how he develops and grows as a QB.

Yes- was not expecting Carolina to show up today but they did! Amazing what benching Cam can do for the team! Maybe they’ll keep his “foot injury” excuse all season. I say that as a Cam fan too but I think his time has come and gone. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Danny Dimes hype train has accelerated out of the station faster than a bullet train.  Gonna be a long week.

He made mistakes, he made some really good plays. Most importantly, he looks confident. 

39 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Hey, now, the Giants are only two games behind.  They started 0-2 in 2007, too...

They’re also currently tied with the Eagles and most likely a game ahead of the Redskins after they lose tonight. 

41 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Not actually getting my hopes up at all.

Me either, but taking a shot at Philadelphia and Washington is not beneath me. 

• Love 1

@JTMacc99, the Redskins play tomorrow night.

On the bright side, the Squealers are 0-3. I just wish the Jets had somehow pulled offf the miracle.  And I don’t give Daniel Jones too much credit, aft all they were playing the Bucs.  Let’s see how he does against Dallas.  But he does look strong, I’ll give him that.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

@JTMacc99, the Redskins play tomorrow night.

On the bright side, the Squealers are 0-3. I just wish the Jets had somehow pulled offf the miracle.  And I don’t give Daniel Jones too much credit, aft all they were playing the Bucs.  Let’s see how he does against Dallas.  But he does look strong, I’ll give him that.

The Bucs have had a good defense, though. 

Even though they performed better than I thought they would, this was still a disappointing loss for the Browns. They could have won this game.  Overall, the defense did a pretty solid job and kept this game within reach. However, the offense just couldn't do enough and Freddie Kitchens made questionable calls. Including not challenging that defensive pass interference and then calling a draw play on 4th and 9.

He has been looking overmatched as a Head Coach. If he keeps coaching like this he is going to help keep costing them wins.  This offense could/should be better. And this team is still getting too many penalties. The Browns really could have used this win, because they have this is the start of a tough part of their schedule. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

I still don’t understand how someone can challenge a PI call or not calling a PI when it should have been called. When is it going to end? What’s next- a missed holding call? I’m tired of all this and it’s slowing down the game. I can understand them reviewing scoring plays and catches, but defensive plays IMO should just stay as is.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Jx223 said:

Including not challenging that defensive pass interference and then calling a draw play on 4th and 9.

I was just rolling my eyes at Al Michaels*:  "Maybe they're just trying to draw them offside."  In which case it would have been 4th and 4.  So just keep drawing them offside, I guess, until you get your first down.  But yes, that was a head-scratching call.

(*My Al Michaels rant goes beyond the overpraise he's gotten forever.  He was doing a Giants game a number of years ago and referred to Ann Mara, wife of Wellington, as the "majordomo" of the family, when clearly he meant either matriarch or materfamilias.  When you try to be pretentious, make sure you've looked up the big words before you call the wife of a sports owner the head butler.)

• Love 4

That game hurt.  I agree the Browns are being out-coached.  Baker looks tentative (not surprising, since his offensive line is shaky), but the play calling has been bad.  They started making great strides with quick slant routes; it opened the run game and we were moving the ball.  So why in the world did we go back to deep routes that went nowhere?  And first and goal on the 5 and they call the exact same play all four times?!?  So disappointing.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

That game hurt.  I agree the Browns are being out-coached.  Baker looks tentative (not surprising, since his offensive line is shaky), but the play calling has been bad.  They started making great strides with quick slant routes; it opened the run game and we were moving the ball.  So why in the world did we go back to deep routes that went nowhere?  And first and goal on the 5 and they call the exact same play all four times?!?  So disappointing.

We did better than I thought we would.  They looked stronger, Baker played better (that last interception notwithstanding), and the defense did a good job, considering their injuries.

Is Freddie actually calling the plays, tho?

And at least we still have a better record than the Squealers.

• Love 1

Nice day by the back up QBs.   Cam is done in Carolina.   His sullenness probably didn't garner him much support in the locker room.   Then they won with the back up.   Granted against the Cards, but a win is a win.   

Eagles are looking bad this year.   It's not just the injuries.   But what is with the Lions?   Someone said yesterday that this is the first time since the Barry Sanders era they haven't lost a game in their first 3 games.   Which is technically true.   They are 2-0-1.   Those wins came against the Chargers and the Eagles.   2 not bad teams.   

And because it can't be said enough In Dak We Trust.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

I do not care how good he is, but it’s only week three and I am already SUPER tired of Patrick Mahomes.

Speaking on behalf of my hometown, where we have spent decades hearing "Yankees this" and "Giants/Jets that", and blahblahblahhh, "Big Market Teams":

We're absolutely thrilled to see that other shoe on a New York fan's foot.

😬

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Vikings had a good win yesterday over the Raiders. It was fun to see Adam Thielen's first running touchdown. And Bailey made all his kicks! Our old kicker, Carlson, made a klunker that went off the goal post.

I wonder how Brandon Zylstra's doing with the Panthers. He's a good guy and I wish the Vikings had kept him, but they didn't play him much. I hope being with the Panthers is a good opportunity for him.

I think I'm most happy for Teddy Bridgewater. To come back after a gruesome injury and get the win in Seattle is fantastic. He's definitely going to have to step it up against Dallas, but I'm rooting for him.

With regards to Cleveland, the play calling was horrendous. I don't see Kitchens lasting long if it keeps up. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, twoods said:

I still don’t understand how someone can challenge a PI call or not calling a PI when it should have been called. When is it going to end? What’s next- a missed holding call? I’m tired of all this and it’s slowing down the game. I can understand them reviewing scoring plays and catches, but defensive plays IMO should just stay as is.

I would limit it to scoring and that's it. You're exactly correct. It's heading down a slope where it's opening up to challenging everything.

I went to school in PA, and that guy right there is exactly like all of my friends who rooted for the Philadelphia teams. (I watched that clip at least 10 times and laughed every time. Thank you @xaxat!)

It's always been kind of unnecessary to hate the Eagles. Their own fans have it covered. I get together with all of my college friends every spring. In 2008, the Phillies won the World Series for the first time in like a million years. When I saw my friends the following spring, the team was off to something like an 11-9 start in April. The first thing one of my friends says when walks in to the house is, "The Phils suck!"  

• LOL 3
On 9/22/2019 at 8:15 PM, JTMacc99 said:

The Danny Dimes hype train has accelerated out of the station faster than a bullet train.

Was I impressed - yes, but......it's ONE GAME Giants' homers (and I'm one of them, albiet a realist).  The biggest gag reflex I got was from the NY Post article yesterday referring to him as the 'Danchise'.  OMG, stop with the kitchy phrases you think are going to earn you accolades if they catch on!  Not to mention they already tried to do that back when Mark Sanchez stepped in and had an awesome game for the Jets and they dubbed him 'Sanchise'.  Look where he is now

And I wish the 'Danny Dimes' name would die out to.  Sounds like his street name for dealing.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

ESPN is running a promo for Ohio State/Nebraska with a Herbstreit voiceover proclaiming "That's what conference football is all about!"

Give me a another decade and I might think of Nebraska as a true member of the Big Ten.

(Same thing for Maryland. . . Rutgers? Nope.)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Give me a another decade and I might think of Nebraska as a true member of the Big Ten.

Obviously I've already missed a decade, because I had no idea this had happened.  (Haven't followed college football in many moons.)

9 minutes ago, xaxat said:

ESPN is running a promo for Ohio State/Nebraska with a Herbstreit voiceover proclaiming "That's what conference football is all about!"

(Same thing for Maryland. . . Rutgers? Nope.)

Dammit! I should know not to post right after happy hour!

This was meant for the college football thread.

• LOL 4

This morning on Sports Center, they showed a clip of Redskins coach Jay Gruden saying that he can't change things every 5 minutes. 

They pointed out that the team is 0-3, he is the head coach. and he can change things whenever he wants.  Come on Jay! It's not looking good for us fans here in DC.  

Edited by nittanycougar
1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

This morning on Sports Center, they showed a clip of Redskins coach Jay Gruden saying that he can't change things every 5 minutes. 

They pointed out that the team is 0-3, he is the head coach. and he can change things whenever he wants.  Come on Jay! It's not looking good for us fans here in DC.  

Well he COULD change things every 5 minutes but would it make a difference?   Because the one thing he can't change is the owner.  

Although its on him that he built his whole game plan for the season on using the hell out of Giuce.   Who went down in the first game.    Never, ever, ever design your game around one person.

• Love 6
On 9/23/2019 at 5:36 AM, icemiser69 said:

I think it was a huge mistake giving the Browns so many prime time games.   I understand the interest in the team, but that interest will quickly evaporate if they don't turn things around.  

I'm always nervous whenever the Browns play in nationally televised games. It's not so much the hype, but most of the time they tend to get blown out and do other things to just embarrass themselves. 😝

• Love 1

There's been an interesting conversation on how to evaluate QBs from different eras after Aikman responded to a (poorly constructed) comparison between him and Mahomes.

“You can’t compare anything that’s happening in today’s game to any other era,” Aikman said, via the Dallas Morning News. “[Pat Mahomes]’s been phenomenal. Great kid, love everything about him. I just don’t like when we start trying to look at numbers and saying ‘this is why this guy’s greater than this particular player, this former player,’ whatever it is. It just doesn’t make any sense.”

And I agree with him. The game/rules have changed that make such comparisons really difficult.

But it also makes me really appreciate Dan Marino. He was putting up 4k plus yards, 30 plus touchdowns on a regular basis back when DBs could beat the hell out of receivers and QBs didn't get the kind of protection they do now.

I think his reputation is diminished by his lack of Super Bowl wins, but he (and his super quick release) would be terrifying in today's league.

• Love 3

Dammit why did the Eagles have to get their act together.   

At least it was a darn exciting Thursday night game which is rare.   Although MY GOODNESS, it was a nasty game.   TWO players taken off on stretchers.   Although only the first one was because of a dirty hit.   Way late and not needed, his forward progress was STOPPED.   The second one was friendly fire, unfortunately.   Hope both men are okay.   

• Love 2

SB halftime show - yay or nay?

Personally I like it.  I mean, Jennifer and Shakira aren’t “Miami” Miami, but with Jennifer’s connections she’ll probably lure some local acts into it.  I mean, we all know Pit Bull will be there, right?

• LOL 3

I'm sick and tired of Jennifer Lopez but I'm looking forward to watching Shakira.  I'm a straight woman but I always thought she was soooo sexy and the way she moved those hips made my head spin.  😃

She could dance circles around J-Lo.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Pit Bull again.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

SB halftime show - yay or nay?

Personally I like it.  I mean, Jennifer and Shakira aren’t “Miami” Miami, but with Jennifer’s connections she’ll probably lure some local acts into it.  I mean, we all know Pit Bull will be there, right?

Depends on how tight the security is...

• LOL 5