Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

New year, same old Browns.  Thumped by an expected to be mediocre Titans team

Colts blew the game today in SD.  Vinatieri suddenly can't hit a FG.  On the plus side, Jacoby Brissett looked great.  He was not the reason for the loss, not by a long shot. 

Miami Dolphins, knew they'd be bad, but THAT bad?  Game was over by the end of the first quarter

I totally think AB did this to get on the Pats.  And the Pats knew it. 

Is there anything more appropriate in the 100th year of the league than the Lions and Cardinal, arguably the two worst franchises in league history, tying in week one? 

At least football is back. 

• LOL 3

Lol at false start at everyone but the center. It was that type of night for the Steelers. Though the Patriots usually get the best of them. 

I wonder how the Steelers will adjust and continue to play moving forward this season. I know some analysts (like Colin Cowherd) were predicting they would be fine minus Antonio Brown and LeVeon Bell and would win their division. I believe though that they may struggle at least some without those two highly skilled players and may end up definitely missing their play. (Though not the antics). 

I am interested in seeing if the Steelers will bounce back next week against the Seahawks and how they will end up faring overall this year. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Are the Dolphins really that bad?

The Dolphins are really bad, but you know there's a slight chance the Ravens might actually be really good. Jackson had a lot of time to throw, but played undeniably well. The receiving corps actually looks stacked instead of cobbled together, and the defense is going to be one of the best units in the NFL. Again.

Can't help but laugh at the Browns and Steelers. Browns because there was so much hype, and then they just went and Brownsed the first game of the season. Steelers because they spent most of the last year trying to push their two best players out of the door, to keep that doughy, mouthbreathing QB happy, and it's already coming back to bite them.

There definitely needs to be an investigation of the Antonio Brown deal. And real fucking punishments handed down if it's proved that Brown and/or the Patriots acted dishonestly.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Well, it's the same thing every year. 😠

Yeah, but their fans got their hopes up this year, what with doing semi-not-fucking-terrible last year and getting OBJ in the off-season.  Better to expect nothing and be surprised, than to have your hopes dashed and be crushed. 

Yes, I'm a walking, talking pessimist.  That's why I came into the season with no expectations for the Giants, and clearly none were met.

• Love 1

We shot ourselves in the foot, with all the penalties & the three interceptions.  The Squeelers just looked lackluster.

And yes, I fully believe there was collusion on Drew Risenhaus’s & Bill Bellicheck’s part.  AB too dumb to come up w/a scheme, but the Pats apparently offered more to get AB traded to them, and he wanted to go there, but the Squeelers said “no”.  

However...AB has a long time habit of showing up late, and Bellicheck will not put up w/that.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Can't help but laugh at the Browns and Steelers. Browns because there was so much hype, and then they just went and Brownsed the first game of the season. Steelers because they spent most of the last year trying to push their two best players out of the door, to keep that doughy, mouthbreathing QB happy, and it's already coming back to bite them.

How did Ben influence that? Bell was a salary cap decision made by management. Roethlisberger had no problem with him.

As for Brown, I could list his bad behavior in Pittsburgh that caused management to cut him, but I think I will let his behavior in Oakland make the case.

(And as for their on field relationship, Brown's last game as a Steeler. 19 targets, 14 receptions, 184 yards. So Ben definitely was freezing him out.)

• Love 4

You will never catch me defending the MNF crew, but every announcing crew--every one-- benefits from dropping from three guys to two.  Especially when the third guy was as bad as Jason Witten.  They aren't any better on their own merits, but they're already better as a team.

I'm glad someone told the Worldwide Leader before this year that their down and distance graphic needs to stay on one the side of the chyron, not alternate back and forth depending on who has the ball.  It's not like we can't tell by looking which team is on offense. 

Speaking of exiles from MNF, I hope Chucky implodes tonight.

1 hour ago, raven said:

Holy crap what an ending to the Saints/Texans game!

YOu said it.   WOW.    50 seconds of pure football drama.   WOW.   

I said when there was 37 seconds left, you left Brees too much time, half joking.   Ooops.

I thought that would be the boring game of the night.

• Love 2

I think that the Saints/Texans was a good game with an exciting finish. DeShaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins played very well, but in the end the team still came up a little short. I do think they should have made a better decision defensively at the end. But Will Lutz did a nice job of making that long kick and helping the Saints clinch the win.

Also, I thought that the Raiders did a solid job tonight. I think that they came out from the beginning of the game with good energy. And that the crowd fed off of that. Good win for them to start the season against a divisional opponent. 

And I hope that Gareon Conley ends up being okay. That was a very scary looking injury he suffered.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, xaxat said:

How did Ben influence that? Bell was a salary cap decision made by management. Roethlisberger had no problem with him.

As for Brown, I could list his bad behavior in Pittsburgh that caused management to cut him, but I think I will let his behavior in Oakland make the case.

(And as for their on field relationship, Brown's last game as a Steeler. 19 targets, 14 receptions, 184 yards. So Ben definitely was freezing him out.)

According to Bell, there was a problem.

Brown too.

OF COURSE the guys who were let go say there was a problem.    There are also reports that most of the offense is happy that Brown is gone.   They got sick of his stunts, then he would apologize, then he would do another stunt.    Sound like a pattern of any specific type of individual?

Look, its a given on any football team that if  the QB is good, and he doesn't like you, you are gone.    Big Ben is not special in that regard.    

Bell sat out a whole season because he didn't like being franchised tagged again.   So he wasn't there for Ben to even complain about before he was released.    

Both Bell and Brown gambled they were more important to the team than they ultimately turned out to be.   And the Raiders showed last night, you can win with someone who WANTS to be there and will try.   Even if that person is not as impressive on paper as another player.   

• Love 6

The Vikings had a good start to the season by winning against Atlanta. The running game was so good Kirk Cousins passed only 10 times. Too many penalties, however. 

I'm a little disappointed that AB isn't with the Raiders anymore since I am going to that game. I was hoping to seeing him go nuts. How does he do with trash talking? 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Personally, I wouldn't put much credit into Bell's view considering he lied to his o lineman about his holdout and let them defend in the press.

As for Brown, did David Carr have a "plantation mentality".

So glad that the NFL is hot on the case of OBJ's watch. Much more important than allegations of tampering.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, merylinkid said:

YOu said it.   WOW.    50 seconds of pure football drama.   WOW.   

I said when there was 37 seconds left, you left Brees too much time, half joking.   Ooops.

I thought that would be the boring game of the night.

37 seconds left and only needing a field goal?  Way too much time for Brees.  There's probably 6 or 7 guys in the league I'd be worried about if my team was going on defense in that situation.  Of course, if it's my team going on offense, I sure hope the other team plays that prevent defense the Texans went with.  When does that prevent anything?  

• Love 2

I’m done with AB.  

Odell, however...as far as I know, he wore the watch, and people took pictures of him wearing the watch, but OBJ himself never said a damn thing about the watch until a big deal was made about the pictures.  So all this pearl-clutching about his diva behavior because he wants to wear the watch is ridiculous.  So what if it’s an endorsement? There’s no law against it.

Odell does often get annoying with his words, but this time it seems like the media is wrong, not him. I’m pretty sure he is aware of the risks of wearing a watch on a football field.

• Love 1

Odell was very aware of the rules prohibiting wearing a watch.   Whether the media spotted it or not, he was going to get fined for doing it.   Because there is a uniform police at every game looking for things like socks not pulled up.   He just thought the rules didn't apply to him.

If he was wearing it for an endorsement deal, then the point WAS to get noticed.   Otherwise there's not point in the deal.   But I doubt the manufacturer expected him to violate NFL rules and wear it on the field.

• Useful 1

I saw something about the claims against Antonio Brown on Twitter over the weekend... Someone leaked a DM exchange with him where he was framing it as an extortion attempt. Of course, he would say that. Lots of things get claimed online about stars that are completely untrue, but it's funny to see the reports now that the NFL and the Pats had "no idea" about the allegations until yesterday. Here's the tweet I saw about it on Saturday:

In related news (or not), Gronk started a lot of speculation yesterday with this post:

Is he unretiring? Stay tuned...

I think the biggest part of the OBJ watch story is that if he's correct and that watch is plastic WTF makes it worth $350,000!!!!

That's what I want to know.

Also, drawing a bulls-eye on your wrist as a WR for salivating DB's wanting to get you off your game probably isn't the best idea in the world.

• Love 1

Last night I had a dream that Gronk was my Uber driver in NYC. He was simultaneously trying to unwrap Christmas gifts and eat donut holes while driving. 

That was a weird one.

11 hours ago, merylinkid said:

If he was wearing it for an endorsement deal, then the point WAS to get noticed.   Otherwise there's not point in the deal.   But I doubt the manufacturer expected him to violate NFL rules and wear it on the field.

I would be surprised if they didn't know. If there wasn't a handshake deal for it. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they promised to pay his fines. 

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I read the texts, and he uses the word “rapist” and he ADMITS to a sexual activity while she was asleep, telling his friends & laughing abt it.

The NFL’s 100 yr celebrations have become all abt AB.

Sickening. I hope and pray that not only the judge throws the book at him, but that a good chunk of his NFL money goes to this woman's medical and therapy bills. 

• Love 4

Where is Roger Goodell?

Every other commissioner makes the rounds when the season opens. I don't remember a single media event for him. It seems especially weird given that it is the 100th anniversary of the league.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, PurpleGirl43 said:

I’m sorry, but why would anyone need to wear a watch while playing football??

In the context of diva WR, wearing a watch is nothing compared to openly defying the league, treating your teammates like shit by lying to them, and not telling your potential new team that there is a potential assault allegation floating around.

• Love 8

Things that have happened since the Jets led 16-0 vs. the Bills in Week 1:

• CJ Mosley out with a groin injury for a while
  • 16-0 lead blown, crushing loss
  • Kicker gets cut for missing FG, XP
  • Quincy Enunwa out for year with neck injury
  • 1st round pick Quinnen Williams with ankle injury, severity unknown
  • LeVeon Bell gets a shoulder MRI
  • Sam Darnold out for a month or so with Mono

Even for the Jets that's a lot.

Edited: CJ Mosley not out for season, just for however long the groin injury lasts.

Edited by Fukui San
30 minutes ago, mojoween said:

How.  The fuck.  Is Jeff Hostetler a finalist for the HOF?  He shouldn’t even be allowed to VISIT Canton if Phil Simms doesn’t ever get in.

Take a deep breath.

A total of 122 players, including eight in their first year of eligibility, comprise the list of Modern-Era player nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2020....The Modern-Era players list will be reduced to 25 Semifinalists in November and to 15 Finalists in early January 2020.

Other Giants on that list are a lot more deserving, like Carl Banks.

I don't understand this. Lightning warnings keep the network from having their sideline camera crew work the game, but it's safe enough for the players and fans.

I know that the camera chairs are elevated, but does 6-10 feet make that much difference?

ETA OK, they figured it out.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

Goodell and his officers are wimps.

AB has completely hijacked this season.  He knew about this lawsuit and he didn't even tell the Patriots or Raiders!  What does he have to do to get some kind of consequence for his behavior?  Hit someone on the field by throwing the bench while wearing the wrong equipment?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Kneel during the national anthem, obviously.

*clutches pearls* Nothing will get in the way of the NFL sucking up that sweet sweet DOD money. 

I'm certainly not defending Goodell. Just looking at the whole legal context, I'm not sure what he can do here. There is a lawsuit, so due process is being served. The consequences of his behavior will be the court verdict. 

I'm not saying disparaging about the trainer, she is getting her day in court, which is huge progress from the scores of women who did not (not their fault), but there's not a video all over social media like with Rice, where you can say, 'ok you need to sit down while this gets sorted out.' To be fair, if he suspends AB then anyone accusing any player of anything is grounds for suspension. 

As to whether AB probably should have informed his employers, I don't know if there's a legal requirement under the CBA. Now, I certainly understand the morality of the issue, but honestly, that ship sailed a long time ago. 

And I'm on the side of rooting for a lockout/strike when the CBA runs out and the NFL being canceled for like years. The entire league is a mess, and this case underscores that. 

• Love 1

Some exciting finishes in this first set of games today. I thought that Gardner Minshew did a nice job of leading the Jags to a TD towards the end of the game and giving them a chance to win against the Texans. Unforuntately Leonard didn't make it across the the plane, but I continue to like what I see from Gardner. The ending of the Colts/Titans games also came down to the wire. I am glad that the Jacoby and the Colts got their first win of the season. 

I thought that Kyler Murrary looked more comfortable this week than he did last. He seemed more at ease and was able to get the cardinals into the red zone several times. The Ravens still ended up winning underneath a solid performance from Lamar, but I was glad to see some growth with Kyler. 

And I was glad to see Dallas win again. In the beginning the Redskins defense bottled up Dak and the Cowboys offense. But things opened up for them quickly enough and they ended up getting a nice win.

And I could see them being a really long and rough season for Miami, after them getting blown out again this week. I feel bad for Josh Rosen. This is the second year in a row he's on a bad team. Last year, he didn't have the help he needed, and this year he doesn't have that and isn't even allowed to start. This is the second week they've thrown him out in garbage time after they are getting stomped by a team. I wish he would into a better situation. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

If the outcome of the Saints/Rams game comes down to the bad call on the incomplete pass/fumble that wasn't a touchdown, the Saints fans are going to go nuts.  Again.  Not to mention the short field the Rams got after the failed fourth down conversion that would never have happened but for the bad call.  Ten point swing.

I thought the refs were supposed to let a play finish out instead of blowing a quick whistle, especially when the runner isn't touched.    

• Love 2