Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

If the Panthers win the SB, I'm going to LOVE the outrage from the pearl-clutchers over Cam's dancing. I don't like Newton, but he doesn't deserve a good chunk of the criticism he gets, so hopefully a SB win would make those people stfu.

• Love 7

I am very glad that the Panthers won tonight and are going to the Super Bowl. They have been fantastic this year, especially Cam and the defense. I hope they win the Super Bowl and that Cam ends up winning MVP.

I did feel sorry for Bruce Arians and the Cardinals as I like them as well (but not as much as I like Carolina).

I am very glad that the Panthers won tonight and are going to the Super Bowl. They have been fantastic this year, especially Cam and the defense. I hope they win the Super Bowl and that Cam ends up winning MVP.

I did feel sorry for Bruce Arians and the Cardinals as I like them as well (but not as much as I like Carolina).

Yeah, I had no problem with either club. They were both deserving. (Well, excepting this stinker from the Cardinals)

• Love 1

I don't have anything against the Cardinals but that was quite a beatdown they got from Carolina.  Congrats to Carolina and Cam.  

I don't have a problem with Cam's dancing; I just wish he had better moves.  However, if he and the Panthers win the SB, he can spin on his head and I'd like it. 

• Love 1

ONE person complained about his dancing.   It was a Titans fan during the Titans-Panthers game.   Rather than accept this was a bad year for the Titans she got her panties all twisted about someone on the other team being happy about scoring.

• Love 2

What's the problem with his dancing?  People are against his dancing?

When the Panthers played in Tennessee earlier this year, some woman was all disgusted about Cam's hip thrusting and how she had to turn her precious snowflake daughter's attention to the (scantily-clad) cheerleaders.

• Love 3

ONE person complained about his dancing.   It was a Titans fan during the Titans-Panthers game.   Rather than accept this was a bad year for the Titans she got her panties all twisted about someone on the other team being happy about scoring.

Yeah she got her panties twisted alright.  Cam's dancing made 'em twist.

• Love 4

What's the problem with his dancing?  People are against his dancing?

When the Panthers played in Tennessee earlier this year, some woman was all disgusted about Cam's hip thrusting and how she had to turn her precious snowflake daughter's attention to the (scantily-clad) cheerleaders.

And because of that, I want Cam Newton & the Panthers to win it all in 2 weeks. I can't imagine what she has to say now. The only bad thing about the Panthers going to the Super Bowl is that Stephen Curry (from the stinking Warriors) is actively rooting for them & I really can't stand him. His irritating "aw shucks" attitude is similar to Peyton Manning & I can't root for that. I also want the Broncos to become the first team to lose 6 Super Bowls. Anyone who shills for that scumbag & his revolting Papa John's Pizza deserves to lose. Besides, ESPN will certainly root for Peyton Manning & will find ways to disrespect Cam Newton.

BTW, Brett Favre will a part of the NFL Network coverage of Super Bowl 50. I'm still wondering what is the point of the NFL Network existence. Other than Black Monday after the regular season ends, their Thursday Night games, & NFL Gameday Final, that channel is basically useless. ESPN's constant coverage of the NFL is what the NFL Network should be doing.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1

One person? Newton has been getting flak all season for his dancing. A ref refused to give him a football on a TD so he could give it to a kid in the stands. Another ref said, "you don't deserve to get that call yet" when he was hit (close) out of bounds and was looking for a flag. 

I've said it before. It's largely because he's black. 

• Love 2

That guy falling out of the stands was like someone threw a body on the field. We rewound and watched in slo-mo.

He really did!  I'm guessing that he was running down the stairs and tripped? Weird.

I liked how the announcer said he flopped out of the stands. That made us laugh for a solid five minutes! Later I was discussing with my dad how they should pull Cam out of the game when my mom looked up from her knitting and said, " oh, he's probably resting on the bench right now". Camera cuts to Cam getting hyped and pumping up the crowd on the sideline. I just love his energy and infectious smile!

• Love 4

Panthers just dominated start to finish. Will be hard to beat if they play like that for a 3rd week in a row no matter what the Broncos do

Was at the game in Carolina, very exciting. Fans were thrilled. Conference championship games I think are more fun to go to than the Super Bowl. Super Bowl is corporate and sterile and not really for the fans, it's for sponsors.

Unlike last year where I wanted neither team to win, this year I will be happy no matter who wins in two weeks.

Plus I am an NFL history geek, I love the NFL Network replaying/recaps the old Superbowls for the next few weeks.

Hall of Fame voting in two weeks as well. Marvin Harrison better get in this year.

And because of that, I want Cam Newton & the Panthers to win it all in 2 weeks. I can't imagine what she has to say now. The only bad thing about the Panthers going to the Super Bowl is that Stephen Curry (from the stinking Warriors) is actively rooting for them & I really can't stand him. His irritating "aw shucks" attitude is similar to Peyton Manning & I can't root for that. I also want the Broncos to become the first team to lose 6 Super Bowls. Anyone who shills for that scumbag & his revolting Papa John's Pizza deserves to lose. Besides, ESPN will certainly root for Peyton Manning & will find ways to disrespect Cam Newton.

BTW, Brett Favre will a part of the NFL Network coverage of Super Bowl 50. I'm still wondering what is the point of the NFL Network existence. Other than Black Monday after the regular season ends, their Thursday Night games, & NFL Gameday Final, that channel is basically useless. ESPN's constant coverage of the NFL is what the NFL Network should be doing.

Plus the NFL Network is farming (selling) out there Thursday night games to other networks now.......though they will still show the Thursday night games as well. They are trying to get some exorbitant price like $800 million for 8 games, a figure I couldn't believe. It was like $50 or $100 million PER GAME.

Oh well, maybe the Patriots should count themselves  lucky that they are not the ones having to play against the Panthers in the SB.

Yeah, I smell another 43-8 whupping in the offing. Which sucks for Manning - this season really makes it look like his body is one big hit away from giving out and he seems like the kind of competitor who never wants to go out, but when he does he'll only accept it on his terms. But, I have to hand it to the Panthers, they've played like men on a mission this year.
  • Love 1

I don't like either Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. And Manning played like what - only a few games  - this season. I don't think he deserves to win the Superbowl sitting on the side lines most of the season while other players did the work getting to the post season.  At least Tom Brady worked hard all season long.  That said my heart is not bleeding for Brady, surely he has enough Superbowl victories.

I guess I will be rooting for the team the Broncos are playing against.

Manning played over half the season. He missed games in November and December, then came back and started the final week and won an important game that made this one at home for Denver instead of in NE.

Brady got hurt in the AFC title game early in 2002 before "his" first Super Bowl win and Drew Bledsoe finished and basically won that game for the Pats. Most people forget that part of his resume in his first SB run

• Love 6

After everyone writing off Denver this weekend as doomed, I'm not believing any premature obituaries about their loss in the Super Bowl.  I expect a close game, I think their defense is much, much better than when they were blown out the last time in the Super Bowl.

• Love 2

BTW, Brett Favre will a part of the NFL Network coverage of Super Bowl 50

Aww hell.   Now I'll have to have the remote in my hand so I can hit mute everytime that asshole comes on.    As well as everytime they slobber all over him.   The tongue baths that Brady gets is nothing like the blowjobs that everyone gives Favre.   Who is a selfish, classless dickhead supreme.   Why everyone thinks he is so wonderful I do not know.   He wasn't even that great as a football player.  He threw a LOT of interceptions -- and threw his teammates under the bus in blaming them.   

The NFL Network does a lot of good shows like their "A Football LIfe" and their new series "Timeline"  (guess who the first timeline was about, see rant above for a clue).  The probem is they show them during the season.   They should be showing this stuff in the offseason.   And their "live" coverage isn't really.   They just show the same stuff over and over again.   Not like the 24 hour news station that rehash that same stuff over and over, I mean showing some guy doing a "ive" shot from camp and saying "good morning" when it is 4 in the afternoon.   And if you have been watching it all day, you realize you heard him say :good morning" that morning.   The information is there.   The stories are there.   They just need to go out and do them.   Oh and everyone needs to stop shouting in the Game Morning show.   You know there is a problem when Deon Sanders is the quiet one.

• Love 1

See I HATE "A Football Life". It's just the type of show I want to enjoy and seems like a good idea, but I have found them to be terribly boring and dull.

I think the NFL Network though is good for the offseason stuff. In season, it's just not necessary because EVERYONE covers the NFL during the season, its hard to find anything they offer some other channel does not during that time

Some Super Bowl 50 storylines:

--Super Bowl 50 will pit the guy who replaced John Fox vs. the guy who replaced John Fox.

--Cal linebacker Ron Rivera and Stanford QB John Elway faced off 3 years in a row (1980-82), including the famous The Play game.

--Rivera and Wade Phillips are both former San Diego defensive coordinators.

--Rivera and Peyton Manning faced off in the 2007 Bears-Colts Super Bowl, after which Rivera was fired as Bears DC.

--The Super Bowl will be held 78 miles from where Rivera went to high school (in Monterey) and 48 miles from where he went to college (Berkeley).

--Ron Rivera was defensive coordinator for an 8-8 San Diego Chargers team that lost to Peyton in 2008, yet knocked him out of the playoffs that same year. Rivera and his Chargers also beat Peyton in 2010.

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 2

Delighted that the Patriots lost, and that it was in no small part down to their own hubris. Going for it on 4th down twice, when there was a ton of time left on the clock, and not getting it. Doing that against a defence like Denver's is asking to get punched in the face. I can't wait until Brady starts showing his age like Manning, and a load of Patriots fans start squealing for him to be replaced, immediately forgetting all he's done for the franchise, while the rest of them defend him beyond all reason. It'll be fun.

It's a shame that Palmer and Fitz won't go to the Super Bowl, but by the sounds of it, the Panthers outclassed the Cardinals completely. I expect them to stomp whatever life is left in Peyton Manning out of him in two weeks. It won't be pretty, seeing him in a pile with Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short on top of him. Sure, I could well be wrong and Denver's defense might be able to slow the Panthers enough to make the game more competitive. I just can't see it, though. The Pats played right into the Broncos' hands with all those dink-and-dunk passes, but I think the Panthers will have more success running the ball with Cam and Jonathan Stewart, and Cam is a lot harder to catch and sack than Brady.

Anyway, whichever team wins I'll be happy. The Broncos to give Manning a perfect send off, and also get a ring for Owen Daniels, or the Panthers to stick it in the faces of everyone who has whined about Cam Newton this season. It'd also be nice to see Jared Allen get a ring.

• Love 5

Aww hell.   Now I'll have to have the remote in my hand so I can hit mute everytime that asshole comes on.    As well as everytime they slobber all over him. 

Not to forget that "unretiring" junk! He retired, then "unretired," then retired, then "unretired" again. If you want to switch teams that badly, just switch teams-- don't make us think you're retiring when you're not.

• Love 1

Well, the Panthers look pretty formidable.  It's going to be a tough game for Denver to win, so much youthful energy to overcome.  I had hoped the Cardinals would win last night because of the possible match up between Peyton and several of his former teammates across the line of scrimmage.  And of course Larry Fitzgerald deserves a shot at a ring.  Hope Peyton can prevail (and will then retire) but Cam and the Panthers are certainly proving themselves to be the best in the league.  

However I could not be more overjoyed seeing the deflated looks on the faces of the Patriots.

• Love 2

My hope is that this will be the NFL equivalent of the Rockets/Magic NBA championship series when everyone thought the Rockets had no chance against a young Shaq and his explosive team until Nick the Brick happened and Houston never looked back. We just need one of those games; come on, football gods, make it happen!

• Love 1

It's hilarious that Belichick was the one who pushed to have the extra points moved back.  More proof you need to leave well enough alone...Genius!

Every time Belichick appears to have outsmarted himself and lost as a result, an angel gets its wings. You know that he was pushing for that because some statistical analysis he'd had done showed that his kicker was more likely to make those longer conversions than someone else's kicker, and he figured it might come into play in a game somewhere down the line.

He's so determined to prove he's smarter than everyone, and so determined to find every little loophole and flexibility in the rules to give his team the tiniest advantage. I can see him and his staff poring over the rulebook every year, looking for new wrinkles to take advantage of.

• Love 6

Every time Belichick appears to have outsmarted himself and lost as a result, an angel gets its wings. You know that he was pushing for that because some statistical analysis he'd had done showed that his kicker was more likely to make those longer conversions than someone else's kicker, and he figured it might come into play in a game somewhere down the line.

He's so determined to prove he's smarter than everyone, and so determined to find every little loophole and flexibility in the rules to give his team the tiniest advantage. I can see him and his staff poring over the rulebook every year, looking for new wrinkles to take advantage of.

Yeah, I think when Belichick becomes obsessed with showing how clever he is, it backfires for him.

As a Patriots fan I'm not even a little angry or sad at the result. The team was as healthy as they had been this year since the injury run started going, the reffing seemed fair, and there was no league manufactured pseudoscandal looming (that we know of).  It'd be great to have won again to stick it to the deflategate morons, but they got outplayed, the OL couldn't block their DL, and they scrapped and played blood and guts and came within a cunt's hair of tying it up at the end. It's football. I'm as proud of the team this year as any of the Super Bowl years, even though they came up one or two plays short.

• Love 2

I WANT my coach and his staff going over the rulebook and trying to find every little bit of comptetitve advantage.   If that means he wins more games - well, the rulebook is there for everyone to pore over too.   That is not an unfair advantage.   That's smart football.   Sure it's going to backfire from time to time.   But man, I would love to have that, than a coach who plays "prevent" defense and plays not to lose.   

• Love 2

The whole Extra Point rule change came about when Rob Gronkowski broke his forearm on an extra point.  Belichick asked why are we risking wear and tear on players on a play with a 99%+ success rate?  Do away with the play or make it more difficult. What happened happened. It is what it is, to coin a phrase.

• Love 1

I regularly watch First Take even though Stephen A just drives me nuts most of the time.  Anyway, I am so sick and tired of him and Molly Querim saying PEY-UN Manning.  Like nails on a chalkboard.  It's a good thing I don't live anywhere near the studio because I'd be tempted to bust in there with a ball peen hammer and leave little craters on both of them.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 5

I live in AZ, so although I'm a Chiefs fan, I celebrate with (and mourn over) my adopted teams.

Fitz on the interview stage last night -- hell, I almost bawled.   What a crap ending to a great, great season.  Carson's totally manned up, fallen on the grenade, etc etc, even though it wasn't all on him.

• Love 1

I always thought the XP was dumb anyway, so if it was abolished it was no big deal to me. I mean, you scored a TD, so here's a chance for a bonus? It's not like if you hit a home run you get +1 because it's a home run. 

I can agree that at least making it more difficult is a decent alternative. I'd rather see more teams going for 2. I think it is one of the more exciting plays in sports. You sometimes will see more exciting plays on a 2 point conversion than in the normal run of play.

Well, the Panthers look pretty formidable.  It's going to be a tough game for Denver to win, so much youthful energy to overcome.

Youth Energy? Okay, they do have a lot of young guys, but they also have a lot of veterans, castoffs and older guys who are key parts of their roster. I define "older" as anybody who was born in 1986 or before.

That would include

--Michael Oher (The Blind Side guy)

--Ted Ginn Jr.

--Thomas Davis

--Cortland Finnegan

--Roman Harper (who won a S uper Bowl with the Saints)

--Jared Allen

--Charles Johnson

--Greg Olsen

--Jericho Cotchery.

--Mike Tolbert

It's going to be fun watching everyone who is underestimating the Broncos eat their words like those who underestimated them yesterday had to.

Oh man, I so hope that's true. I've been a huge Broncos fan for many years. I was born in Pittsburgh, so I have a soft spot for the Steelers too, and root for them when they're playing anyone else. 

My husband turned to the local pre-game coverage in Denver yesterday. The guys on the NFL network were all pretty much saying that the game was over already, and that the Broncos shouldn't even bother to show up since it was a foregone conclusion that the Patriots would win. They're good, but they have a hard time winning in Denver. 

That Panthers game last night was nothing short of a beat-down. I hope it's a good game. I've seen my Broncos get blown out of the Super Bowl plenty of times and it's just about the saddest thing ever. While it's awesome to see your team dominate like that, it really sucks for the other team, and their fans, to get spanked like that in the biggest game of the year. I felt bad for the Cardinals...they really had a great year, but all anyone will ever remember is that game last night.

That 43-8 loss was vintage Broncos though....when they're good, they are unstoppable. And when they're bad, they're abysmal. Seems like there's no in between with them sometimes.

• Love 1

It's going to be fun watching everyone who is underestimating the Broncos eat their words like those who underestimated them yesterday had to.

Yeah, but I think the Panthers' success has been fueled by them being underestimated all season.

Just look at the hype video they released last week:

http://thebiglead.com/2016/01/20/panthers-hype-video-starts-with-doubters-in-the-media/

They even retweeted this article calling them "the worst team to ever start 11-0."

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-panthers-are-the-worst-team-to-ever-start-11-0/

That's carried them through the playoffs, where a lot of people expected the Seahawks and Cardinals to dominate them.

Yeah, but I think the Panthers' success has been fueled by them being underestimated all season.

Just look at the hype video they released last week:

http://thebiglead.com/2016/01/20/panthers-hype-video-starts-with-doubters-in-the-media/

They even retweeted this article calling them "the worst team to ever start 11-0."

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-panthers-are-the-worst-team-to-ever-start-11-0/

That's carried them through the playoffs, where a lot of people expected the Seahawks and Cardinals to dominate them.

Also, I'm sure Ron Rivera has vivid memories of being fired after losing to Peyton in the Super Bowl.

Edited by nowandlater

Cam, quick and instant grits are not the same thing! 

One is delicious, the other is not.

(Although regular grits are even better.)

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

Youth Energy? Okay, they do have a lot of young guys, but they also have a lot of veterans, castoffs and older guys who are key parts of their roster.

Kurt Fucking Coleman.  Who spent how many years sucking in the Eagles' secondary but gets 2 picks in the Championship and a trip to the SuperBowl?  The football gods have a sense of humor, they do.

Well listen...I fully expect the Panthers to win...possibly by double digits. But should the Broncos pull out a win, I surely wont be sad about it. I like Peyton and would be happy to see him get another ring. Rarely are there "pick 'em" games...Vegas HAS to have a frontrunner right? I dont see it as disrespectful necessarily to say a 15-1 team who just blew out their last two opponents (at least in the first half vs Seattle) is the decided favorite.

I dont want to say happy...but im ok with Ray Rice getting another job within the NFL/NFLPA. From everything Ive heard he's said all the right things and more importantly he's done the right things (counseling, showing remorse, etc.) Which is a lot more than I can say for some of the slimeballs who are still in the league who just dont get it.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 4

I dont want to say happy...but im ok with Ray Rice getting another job within the NFL/NFLPA. From everything Ive heard he's said all the right things and more importantly he's done the right things (counseling, showing remorse, etc.) Which is a lot more than I can say for some of the slimeballs who are still in the league who just dont get it.

Ray Rice did something stupid and reprehensible, but everything I know about him says that it was a failing in the behaviour of an otherwise decent man. His reputation was spotless prior to this, and while the incident suggests that his relationship with his now-wife was unhealthy and needed changes, it looks like they've committed to making those changes. He handled the whole thing very badly, with the way he lied to the Ravens and the NFL, and neither of those organisations handled it well either. But if he gets another chance, I'll support him.

Having said that, he was showing significant signs of wear and tear in his last season for the Ravens. The guy has carried the ball almost 2500 times throughout his college and NFL career, and had over 400 catches as well. That's a lot of work for one guy to get through.

• Love 1

[delurking] Aaaand  the flag saga continues:  Seahawks fan creates petition to ban Cam Newton from CenturyLink Field

"Cam Newton is one of the most unprofessional, unsportsmanlike individual (sic) on the face of the planet," the petition reads. "So I say for the 2016-2017 (season) when the Panthers come to play in Seattle he should be banned from entering the stadium. This should teach him to put his arrogance in check!!"

O.o 

[back to lurking]

Writes the person who probably loved it when Marshawn Lynch was scoring touchdowns and grabbing his crotch.

(Referring to the petitioner, not you netlyon2!)

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7