Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Oh, I supposed it would have to be domed. I didn't think of that. 

I still think an NBA franchise is better for the city in terms of economics. Plus it could be located closer to the city proper. 

The T Mobile Arena is close to completion and is the most likely home for an NHL/NBA franchise.

The dirty secret that politicians and franchise owners don't want anyone to know is that the overwhelming body of economic analysis shows that the public financing of arenas and stadiums does not provide an economic boost. Especially in an era when owners are declaring thirty year old facilities "obsolete" . The city/county of St. Louis still owes $150 million on a stadium that no longer has a primary tenant. 

• Love 2

Calvin Johnson is planning to retire. First Barry Sanders and now Megatron, two fantastic players stuck with a terrible franchise.

As mentioned, looks like it's back to the 0-16 days for the franchise. In other words, it's not looking good, but probably not another winless year like in 2008 (IMO, that team should never have gone winless).  Not that I'm totally for it, but I wouldn't mind if Calvin pulled a Favre to get out of that team and go elsewhere.  But he has so much potential and really needs a new scene.  Just that it's not Johnson's call

The dirty secret that politicians and franchise owners don't want anyone to know is that the overwhelming body of economic analysis shows that the public financing of arenas and stadiums does not provide an economic boost.

I didn't know that was a secret. I thought it's been well know that public financing of any sport was basically a rip off.

As mentioned, looks like it's back to the 0-16 days for the franchise. In other words, it's not looking good, but probably not another winless year like in 2008 (IMO, that team should never have gone winless).  Not that I'm totally for it, but I wouldn't mind if Calvin pulled a Favre to get out of that team and go elsewhere.  But he has so much potential and really needs a new scene.  Just that it's not Johnson's call

I don't think it will be quite as bad as that. Yes, Megatron is a massive loss, but the Lions can have a decent offence despite that. They've got a couple of pieces on offence that they can try to build around. Getting a good WR in the draft should see them as being able to at least win a couple of games. It'll take them a while to get back to playoff contention, though.

Calvin Johnson has been playing with injuries for a couple of years now, though, and just using his sheer physicality and athleticism to make plays. I can't blame him for getting out while he's still relatively healthy.

• Love 2

One of the sidelines reporters at the Pro Bowl asked Charles Woodson why he was retiring, and he said, "I'm just tired."

Soft lump. A great, Heisman winning college career, 18 years in the NFL and a Hall of Fame-worthy career, and he says he's tired? What nonsense! 

So five years until Canton. Woodson gets in as a first ballot guy, but I don't think Calvin Johnson does. In fact, I'm not sure he'll get in at all. Wide receivers don't get into the Hall of Fame easily, even when they have much better resumes than Johnson.

So the NFL is officially giving up on Roman numerals for the Super Bowl?

Nope. They return next year. They just didn't want to go with "Super Bowl L" because of the negative connotations.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/27/nfl-to-go-back-to-roman-numerals-after-super-bowl-l/

--I looked forward to the Pro Bowl. I DVR'd it, but got bored after 1 quarter. If Eli Manning couldn't make it to the end of the 1st quarter, then I wasn't going to watch anymore...so I switched to Grease Live.

--I DVR'd the Panthers arriving at the airport. I'm rooting for the Panthers because Ron Rivera has been so devoted to our shared alma mater, where he met his wife at a yogurt shop.

257g9rk.png

And Super Bowl statue update: The one near the Full House house, the one that was destroyed as "Superb Owl," has been removed after it was converted to "Oops."

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Super-Bowl-Committee-gives-up-takes-back-statue-6797054.php

920x920.jpg

• Love 1

The NFL didn't want people going around with a big L on their foreheads with the ball caps.

As for the Lions, I am still laughing my ass off at "they need to draft a good WR."   Did Matt Millen wander in here?   I think they will be fine.   I don't think they will go back to 0-16.   The Lions have been planning on adding more pieces than Johnson for a while because you can't win consistently if your main play is "throw the ball to Calvin."   Let's give Martha Firestone Ford some chance to kick butt, then see if we write their obituary.

• Love 1

So the NFL is officially giving up on Roman numerals for the Super Bowl?

Nope. They return next year. They just didn't want to go with "Super Bowl L" because of the negative connotations.

I wonder how the NFL will feel about

Super Bowl LV, which looks a lot like Super Bowl Love

and

Super Bowl LIX, which looks like Super Bowl Licks

That said, I'm certain if they're still playing this game far in the future, Roger Goodell's cryonicized head won't permit

Super Bowl DIX

• Love 5

Super Bowl LIX, which looks like Super Bowl Licks

I'm sure some interesting adults movies will be released with that title. 

Well, except for the stolen laptop and the $250K NCAA violation....

I guess you could put the laptop down to youthful indiscretion, though. He hasn't done anything wrong since he's been drafted.

Yesterday I watched a clip from an interview where the reporter asked him and his father about those two incidents. 

Cam admitted to stealing to the laptop...kinda. He actually said that he's a different person now than he was then. Back then he was focused on trying to prove his innocence. Today he's trying to prove though his actions that he's now a person of integrity. I like that attitude, but I wish he would have come out and said that he was a dumb kid who was jealous of the students around him who could afford laptops, and he did something that he knows was wrong, and he'd never make that mistake again.

His father, on the other hand--what a jerk. He said he never accepted money from Mississippi State, but I (and the NCAA) believe the Athletic Director? President? from MSU.  His father never admitted that he did anything wrong but says that for his son's save, he "fell on his sword" so issue would eventually go away. Give me a break. And this guy's a pastor. I see where Cam learned how to be a moral and honest person. Thank goodness he has other role models in his life now. Or that he simply grew up and realized what a dick his pastor father is and stopped copying that destructive behavior.

What I also learned is that the year Cam  was at the Junior college, he led the team to the Jr. College national championship. I don't know how many teams are in that tournament, but it's still a nice honor to have on your football resume. And then to help bring Auburn a national championship the very next year. Pretty impressive. 

• Love 5

I thought Cam came off well in the interview. His father? Not so much. There's something sneaky about him and I believe every word the guy from MSU said.

It seems like Cam has grown quite a bit since the laptop incident. We all did stupid shit in college and if he's kept his nose clean since then, I think the media should put it to rest. Hopefully he has good advisors and good people around him that aren't trying to take advantage.

• Love 4

Please kill me.   No really, do it.   Do it now.   Just make it painless.   

The NFL is having something called "Opening NIght."   Okay what is that, you ask.   I looked and now regret it.   Apparently, it will not only feature interviews with Broncos and Panthers, but there will be musical performances and special guests.      Oh good grief.   They've made something already over hyped even more so.   I would say they can't go any further, but I'm afraid what they will do next.

• Love 2

Please kill me. No really, do it. Do it now. Just make it painless.

The NFL is having something called "Opening NIght." Okay what is that, you ask. I looked and now regret it. Apparently, it will not only feature interviews with Broncos and Panthers, but there will be musical performances and special guests. Oh good grief. They've made something already over hyped even more so. I would say they can't go any further, but I'm afraid what they will do next.

Oh God, stop the madness. Please. The SB is already so overdone and dragged out. I didn't think the NFL could possibly make it any worse, but they've proven me wrong.

• Love 1

I'm still trying to figure out why Media Day was changed from Tuesday to starting at 8 pm (I'm assuming eastern) tonight and why ESPN is not sending anyone out until Wednesday.

Because Media Day has become a much talked about event, so why should they keep airing in the middle of the day or early morning when people are working?

Why not move it to primetime?

It makes sense.

(Especially as an alternative to the Iowa caucuses and The Bachelor.)

And instead of it taking place 5 days before the game, it's 6 days in advance. So everybody quickly can be done with it.

The Super Bowl is a spectacle, and so is media day. I love media day -- well, I would love it if the NFL Network didn't suck so much at covering it.

I want to hear the questions and answers of "reporters" and the players, but NFL Network will mostly show "Prime" asking players stupid questions.

Then they're going to go to Rich Eisen and his gang "analyzing" what's going on at Media Day while not actually showing what's going on. They spend so much time discussing and analyzing I wish they could show the sights and sounds for a couple hours and shut up.

There is literally nothing on tonight that interests me so I admit that I'm watching Opening Night. Amazing how I can still hold that much vitriol for Kurt Warner at the first sight of his stupid face. I'm only watching NFL Network because I can't remember which ESPN station it's on and I know the NFL number on Fios.

Where did Nate Burleson come from? He's a cutie.

I'm still trying to figure out why Media Day was changed from Tuesday to starting at 8 pm (I'm assuming eastern) tonight and why ESPN is not sending anyone out until Wednesday.

I thought Lindsay Czarniak tweeted she was on her way, earlier today for SportsCenter

Ahh. I just figured they were starting Wednesday because an ad during Mike & Mike this morning said they were starting their coverage Wednesday morning.

There have been a lot of fine-looking men who have played the game of football but I don't think anyone has ever had a smile as beautiful as Cam's.

• Love 4

There have been a lot of fine-looking men who have played the game of football but I don't think anyone has ever had a smile as beautiful as Cam's.

Cam is really gorgeous. Like Hollywood beautiful. 

The NFL gets great ratings for everything (except for the Pro Bowl, I guess), why not just slap Media Day on in primetime and provide an alternative to endless political blathering? Endless sports blathering is much better, right?

The Browns will be releasing Johnny Manziel as of March 9, the first day of the league's official year.

Damn. Part of me is pissed off that spoiled brat Johnny is getting exactly what he wanted. He deserves to be stuck in Cleveland for the rest of his career.

So, the Browns knew there might be a problem with him, burned a high draft pick anyway, didn't provide the resources and structure he needed to be successful, and them dumped him. But hiring the new baseball person is going to fix *everything*. 

I know he's going to be a backup for a while now, but it seems like an overall wasted investment. 

• Love 3

But why compound a bad decision (drafting Manziel in the first place) with an even worse decision (keeping him)?  There are plenty of first round qbs who dont work out for whatever reason.  Shit happens.  But the key, IMO, is to recognize the mistake and try to fix it ASAP.  With Manziel, there is no value to him whatsoever.  If he was a bust on the field but a decent guy/good leader in the locker room, I say maybe keep him around try to trade him etc.  But even players like that, especially at that position don't last long if they don't have the onfield talent (Tim Tebow anyone?).  What is Manziel bringing to the table?   Whatever talent he may have is being totally overshadowed by his behavior and the distraction he's causing.

I'm glad Cleveland is dumping him, and I HOPE nobody else picks him up, not even to be a backup.

• Love 1

Multiple sources report Lady Gaga will be performing The Star-Spangled Banner (The National Anthem), with Oscar-winning actress Marlee Matlin signing it for the hearing-impaired, at Super Bowl 50 this coming Sunday, February 7th, airing on CBS.

Some kids don't automatically transition directly to responsible adulthood *and* the organization knew this was a problematic selection to begin with. So, you pick the guy anyway, and then do zero to address the issue? That's just dumb. 

There's a larger picture I'm speaking to. I've pointed out before, the Cowboys had a lot of problems with Bryant too, and they did something about it instead of dumping him. There's a lot to lay at JM's feet, but it's an institutional failure as well. It's not like he was an absolute bust on the field.

How many so-called busts could have been avoided if the organizations really tried to figure out what the reasons behind someone's struggles were? It seems like unless you get drafted and immediately turn into Peyton Manning then you're kicked to the curb with the rest of the garbage.

Maybe he shouldn't have been drafted so high, and then whatever team got him wouldn't have had the pressure of getting him out there with the fate of the team on this shoulders.  

I find it, not wrong per se, maybe hypocritical or short sighted, that teams are totally ok with convicted felons, child abusers, spousal abusers on their rosters, but some prick who drinks a lot a may have a legit problem with it is totally toxic. I think it's kind of cold that everyone is dumping on someone who could be suffering from real problems and did nothing to help him when they knew about it in the first place. And again, if you're investing that much into a player by drafting him so high, don't you want to provide him with the resources he needs to succeed. I'm not seeing this as, welp! We did everything we could. 

At least if they tried to trade him, they might get something. Did they even try? 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

Tell me about it, tolerating abusers, but then throwing temper tantrums over other things.   Greg Hardy was defended even after he struck an assistant coach during a game.   Joseph Randle, who granted had issues, the team overlooked, until he was suspected of gambling on sports.  Then bye-bye bye.   I know gambling on sports for players is serious business, but how is it less serious than physical violence?

• Love 1

Some kids don't automatically transition directly to responsible adulthood *and* the organization knew this was a problematic selection to begin with. So, you pick the guy anyway, and then do zero to address the issue? That's just dumb...

There's a lot to lay at JM's feet, but it's an institutional failure as well. It's not like he was an absolute bust on the field....

At least if they tried to trade him, they might get something. Did they even try? 

You bring up a lot of good points ganesh. A lot of what went bad between CLE and Johnny is on Johnny. But some of it is also on Cleveland. From the get got, the coach/GM made it clear they  never really wanted him.(Pettine/Farmer, Haslam did support him).  Especially his first year. The second year, the organization did help a him a bit and bought in Josh McCown who was an absolutely terrific mentor to him, and QB coach Kevin O'Connell and OC John Deflippo, who also helped Johnny grow a lot on the field. Unfortunately, Johnny has went downhill of the field ( even though I think that a lot of his partying is harmless, there were other situations that were alarming), but on the field this year, these three men did wonders for helping him grow and develop into a QB. He looked a lot better on the field this year, than he did last year.

It's an unfortunate situation all the way around, but maybe it will work out for everyone. CLE doesn't want Johnny and it looks like he doesn't want there either, so it probably is best he part ways from them. I'm not sure what will happen now. No one may pick him up after he's cut. They didn't try and trade him. I think they may have if the latest situation in Fort Worth/Dallas, hadn't happened. 

I don't know that anyone will pick him up, but maybe the Cowboys might. Or maybe the LA Rams (they don't have a surefire answer at the QB position. Or maybe even San Fran and Chip Kelley. There is a report out now that Colin Kaepernick wants to leave the 49ers and go to the Jets. I wonder if Chip would look at Johnny. He wanted to coach him in college. Chip would probably be strict as heck on him, but maybe that would help Johnny. John DeFlippo is on the Eagles now and he supported Johnny, so maybe that's another possibility. No one knows for sure what Sam Bradford wants to do next.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Some kids don't automatically transition directly to responsible adulthood *and* the organization knew this was a problematic selection to begin with. So, you pick the guy anyway, and then do zero to address the issue? That's just dumb. 

There's a larger picture I'm speaking to. I've pointed out before, the Cowboys had a lot of problems with Bryant too, and they did something about it instead of dumping him. There's a lot to lay at JM's feet, but it's an institutional failure as well. It's not like he was an absolute bust on the field.

The contract the Cowboys had Bryant sign was punishment for a single incident (His mother urged officials to not file charges and they were eventually dropped.) and was more about leverage to low ball him on his contract than addressing future incidents.

And the guy the Cowboys assigned to him as his agent/bodyguard? Used Dez's money like his own private piggy bank. And when Dez finally tried to take back control of his life buy signing with Roc Nation someone started spreading rumors about a video "five times worse than Ray Rice." Which was total bullshit.

• Love 2

That's basically what I meant. 

So you tell JM the deal, and if he's willing, then you know he's committed to being successful. If not, then you don't draft him. The Browns essentially just blew a draft pick and got ziltch instead. They knew the added risk ahead of time. 

I'm talking about the league treating players as people and not commodities. Organizations need to know what they are willing to do to have their team succeed and how they are going to provide players with the right resources to succeed.

As I've said before, most teams don't want to do that. Do just enough to go 8-8 and maybe you catch a few breaks and get into the playoffs. 

So you tell JM the deal, and if he's willing, then you know he's committed to being successful. If not, then you don't draft him. The Browns essentially just blew a draft pick and got ziltch instead. They knew the added risk ahead of time.

I hear what you are saying, but I honestly don't concur with the conclusions you are drawing here.  Do you think he would have said anything other than "yes" draft night no matter what they said so long as he went in the first round?   Why do you discount that they fully supported his rehab?  What could have been done after he got out if he decided that it was none of their business? I think maybe this is on Manziel. 

• Love 1

All of the pearl-clutching I'm hearing from the old fuddy-duddies about Gaga singing the anthem is proof that the choices you make when you're younger follow you throughout your life.

She let her antics overshadow her talent and now here we are.

She let her antics overshadow her talent and now here we are.

For a second (without focusing on the pronoun you used), I thought you were talking about Manziel!:)

Edited by pennben

I gotta agree on the Lady Gaga thing.   She is a talented singer.   If she had concentrated more on singing and less on meat dresses and meditating in plastic eggs for an alleged 3 days, there would be less fuss.   There's a reason Tony Bennett is friends with her.   And some other legend wants to record with her too, but the name escapes me at the moment.   I don't think they would be doing it just for the attention.   At least she has toned it down lately.

• Love 1

Well, even with the pronoun, it applies to Manziel.

I don't see how.  Are you saying that because he failed in the NFL up to this point that makes him a girl?  Are you saying that because he has off-field issues, that makes him a girl? I'm not following.

• Love 1

I didn't say anything wasn't on Manziel. I'm saying that the organization new picking him was a risk and I don't see that they did anything to mitigate that risk. Now they dump him and they wasted a lot of money and a pick. "If he didn't think it was their business" is a conditional and just speculation. They had a potential problem on their hands, they knew it, and didn't do anything about it.

If the guy is actually suffering from alcoholism, *as his father suggested*, it's beyond short-sighted to not address this prior to selecting him. Did they think something like that would go away? And as it's been pointed out, the coach didn't want him drafted either, so there's way more going on than just one player being a jerk.

I've been quite clear how I feel about the league's manner of treating players and how their priorities need serious recalibration. Manziel is part of a rather larger issue and just scratches the surface. He's not garnering any sympathy because he's a jerk for the most part, and he's vilified for what exactly?

People with actual, (potential) problems are treated like garbage and tossed out. You can drive drunk and kill someone, but as long as you're really really sorry it's ok. But don't drive drunk anymore. Ok, you can drive drunk *one more time*, but that's it! Good thing you didn't beat your wife too! We can do one or the other, but not both! Oh, you might have a drinking problem? Well, if you haven't committed any crimes then we're cutting you!

I'm being a little much, but I think my point is valid.

Is GaGa that much of a deal? She can actually sing.

Edited by ganesh

I didn't say anything wasn't on Manziel. I'm saying that the organization new picking him was a risk and I don't see that they did anything to mitigate that risk. Now they dump him and they wasted a lot of money and a pick. "If he didn't think it was their business" is a conditional and just speculation. They had a potential problem on their hands, they knew it, and didn't do anything about it.

Yes, that's (one reason) why they're all fired now.

Look, the owner who drafted Manziel relied on the advice of a homeless person for the pick.  No one is going to say they didn't mess up.  But I'm not sure why a professional organization must cowtow to the needs of someone they hired to be a professional when he clearly hasn't acted as such.  I guess I could see it if he added value, but he never did.  It's gross, but as Jerry would say, "it's bidness".  And in business, not just the NFL, you must perform if you want concessions. 

Maybe folks around Manziel are more to blame than folks around the Browns.  Maybe they should have told him not to go pro so early because he wasn't ready for it.  Maybe he or they should have hired someone to keep him in check so he could keep his job.  Why did they or anyone expect the NFL team to clean up the mess? 

The Browns made a mistake. Manziel made a mistake.  His family and friends made a mistake. And here we are.

Edited by pennben
Yes, that's (one reason) why they're all fired now.

That's what I'm talking about. The organization(s) has to bear some responsibility. I mean, they have them all there at the combine. It seems like a good opportunity to go over this stuff. I just don't understand how you are willing to put all this money on the line and do what you can to make sure you are making the right choice. There's going to be some surprises, of course. You can't predict everything. But I'm told over and over how the QB is the most important position in all of sports. Wouldn't you your due diligence to vet this person? I would think an NFL team would want to go through all this, especially on a first round pick. It's not expecting the team to clean up the mess, it's avoiding the problem in the first place. 

Yes, it's business. Most of the discussion is about after the fact. I'm talking about knowing the risk involved with any player and dealing with it ahead of time. Business is protecting your investment. Clearly, I'm on to something because they're all fired now.

I'm very skeptical that organizations really look at who the people they are drafting and what they are willing to do and what they should ask the players to do. The league still think players should all fit into particular boxes and if they don't then they shove them out. We're essentially talking about children here. Saying, "you're an adult, act like one" isn't going to fly for some of these guys coming out of college. 

A while ago, Ricky Williams said he was suffering from depression and smoking weed helped, as it does for many people. He's been back in the news lately. You can't have mental health problems if you're a football player. So everyone made fun of him. That's not the sole reason I know, but it's a factor. 

Edited by ganesh