Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I have no problem with the Cam being banned from Century Link.   Then the League will just schedule any Seahawk-Panther games in Charlotte.   If this guy wants to give up the home field advantage for his team in favor of Cam, go for it.

• Love 2

Lol...did that fan watch any of his own team's antics the last 3 or 4 years? They have some of the most arrogant players ever. Richard Sherman made a name for himself being this way. Nothing dirty on his part, but being brash and flashy is what gets attention and he certainly got a lot of it...calling players out on social media, taunting them on the field, etc.

• Love 5

Seriously, Seattle has one of the strongest home field advantages in the league, and they make a big deal out of the 12 man, which is a fun fan thing to do. But let's give that up because you're a whiny fan. 

I'm still not clear on what Cam has done that's unsportsmanlike. If he did something unsportsmanlike, he would get a flag, as the refs seem to be paid by the flag this year. I didn't watch many Panthers games. Did he call out and insult individual players? Did he mock opposing team's fans?

Seriously, Seattle has one of the strongest home field advantages in the league, and they make a big deal out of the 12 man, which is a fun fan thing to do. But let's give that up because you're a whiny fan. 

I'm sure that in this fan's rather unimpressive mind, banning Cam from Century Link would mean that the Panthers would have to use a backup QB should they play there. A double win for the Seahawks! It's a shame that it wouldn't work like that.

All he's doing is giving the Seahawks a reputation as a team of whiners and babies, who throw tantrums and lash out when they lose. Which... is very fitting, all things considered. What a thoroughly unlikeable team they are, to a man.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2

I'm still not clear on what Cam has done that's unsportsmanlike. If he did something unsportsmanlike, he would get a flag, as the refs seem to be paid by the flag this year. I didn't watch many Panthers games. Did he call out and insult individual players? Did he mock opposing team's fans?

gty_493267298_76841704.jpg?w=1000&h=600&

tAVoGP3.jpg

rodgers-belt.jpg

nfl_g_cnewton_dj_300.jpg

packers-falcons-aaron-rodgers21.jpg

• Love 2
I'm still not clear on what Cam has done that's unsportsmanlike.

Given the timing, I assume the basis of this loony fan's "Ban Cam From Our Stadium" petition is Newton's tossing a Seahawks flag on the ground.  Which he did in his own stadium, not Seattle's.

All he's doing is giving the Seahawks a reputation as a team of whiners and babies, who throw tantrums and lash out when they lose.

I think he's giving himself, not the Seahawks, a reputation (as someone with too much time on his hands, who needs to get a grip).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Hmmm, there's something different about those two. . . 

Don't forget, it was the guy who owns the Panthers who talked about how he didn't want Cam going around getting tattoos.

In still photos it just looks like Rodgers is showing off his junk.

People who criticize Cam can get bent. The looks on the kids faces who get the footballs are priceless, I say, while defiantly eating Triple Zero yogurt.

I would support the things Eli schills for but they're too rich for my blood.

• Love 2

I was being facetious, but the pictures underscore what many, me too, have been saying. It's because Cam is black. What do people say about Rodgers (who I like too) when he does that? Oh, he loves the game. He plays with such enthusiasm. 

Of course, Cam has all those domestic abuse, drug violations, and gun charges. And those DUIs. So that's probably why. 
Oh, wait, he doesn't. Huh. 

• Love 8

Now there is a petition started by Seahawks fans to ban that idiot from the stadium for starting such a dumb petition. What a crying idiot. There is also another letter from a fan about Cam (but she throws in her child's cancer diagnosis so she can't get ridiculed.). Sad to see her sick, but don't know why fans can't grow up and leave things as it is. Cam is enjoying playing football and doesn't hurt anyone in the process, and he's a good guy off the field. Leave him alone!

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4

If I thought it would do any good I would start a petition to ban the media from reporting on petitions.

Seriously though, in the age of the internet and places like change.org, anyone with more than ten twitter followers can claim to start a "movement". That doesn't make it worth our attention. Randall Monroe should update Duty Calls to a reporter saying "Someone is outraged on the internet."

duty_calls.png

• Love 3

I have no problem with the Cam being banned from Century Link.   Then the League will just schedule any Seahawk-Panther games in Charlotte.   If this guy wants to give up the home field advantage for his team in favor of Cam, go for it.

Now there is a petition started by Seahawks fans to ban that idiot from the stadium for starting such a dumb petition. What a crying idiot. There is also another letter from a fan about Cam (but she throws in her child's cancer diagnosis so she can't get ridiculed.). Sad to see her sick, but don't know why fans can't grow up and leave things as it is. Cam is enjoying playing football and doesn't hurt anyone in the process, and he's a good guy off the field. Leave him alone!

I'd sign the petition provided that

• Seattle forfeits the game
  • Carolina gets another bye week in place of the game
  • Seattle's players don't get their game check but Carolina's players do
  • Ticket holders have their money refunded for that game
  • Seattle loses it's share of the TV revenues for that week

I've been turning a blind eye to all the racism talk in regards to Cam Newton mainly because I refuse to believe that fans of the NFL can really act like that when over half of the NFL roster is probably African American. How can one be a fan of the NFL and be racist? It just doesn't compute for me. Today Colin Cowherd was talking about this and went into Jersey sales and evidently Cam Newton is 22nd in sales all behind a bunch of white guys. I'm starting to see where the racism talk is coming from now, it's starting to make sense but I'm still shocked that such a thing exists in sports (I know, I'm naive).

Disclaimer, I am a white girl who loves Cam Newton, he's got my support and my three year old proudly wears his Cam Newton jersey on game days. My six year old out grew it and he whines every game day that he doesn't have a Cam Newton jersey any more.

• Love 2

Cam really won me over when he called Odell Beckham over to him after the game with the Giants, in which Odell lost his shit.  It appeared as though Cam was talking to him like a big brother, and Odell seemed to be listening to him.  In a sport that's so violent, that moment was kind of endearing to me. 

• Love 5
My six year old out grew it and he whines every game day that he doesn't have a Cam Newton jersey any more.

You're not going to abuse that poor child by making him watch the Super Bowl without a jersey are you?  :-)

I've been turning a blind eye to all the racism talk in regards to Cam Newton mainly because I refuse to believe that fans of the NFL can really act like that when over half of the NFL roster is probably African American. How can one be a fan of the NFL and be racist?

Sports has a long history of racism, whether talking about owners, players, or fans.  There were racist folk who enjoyed watching people of color pound each other in sport despite the fact they didn't want them to drink out of the same fountain.  Or who today trot out the old "they're good at sports" chestnut and think that means they're not racist.  And all sorts of things in between. 

Relevant to the double standard being applied to Cam, how can you be a fan of the NFL and be racist?  You can require black players (especially black QBs) - unlike their white counterparts - to remain within a narrow box of behavior, so that when they step out of it, they are unsportsmanlike, classless, uncivilized, thuggish, take your pick.  While their white counterparts are passionate.

To be clear, especially since some posters here have criticized specific actions of Cam's: I do not think every single person who takes issue with any given action of Cam Newton's is doing so only, or even partly, because he's black.  But collectively, and the sustained hand-wringing over practically every move he makes?  Hell yeah, racism is all up in there.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 13

I've been turning a blind eye to all the racism talk in regards to Cam Newton mainly because I refuse to believe that fans of the NFL can really act like that when over half of the NFL roster is probably African American. How can one be a fan of the NFL and be racist? It just doesn't compute for me. Today Colin Cowherd was talking about this and went into Jersey sales and evidently Cam Newton is 22nd in sales all behind a bunch of white guys. I'm starting to see where the racism talk is coming from now, it's starting to make sense but I'm still shocked that such a thing exists in sports (I know, I'm naive).

Disclaimer, I am a white girl who loves Cam Newton, he's got my support and my three year old proudly wears his Cam Newton jersey on game days. My six year old out grew it and he whines every game day that he doesn't have a Cam Newton jersey any more.

Well, how does an area like SEC country, places like Alabama and Mississippi, revere black football players, yet those places don't have a great record in its treatment of blacks?

I don't want to get political here, so I will urge you to read the following articles on Deadspin, which has been all over this.

Starting with this article:

http://deadspin.com/scared-white-people-are-running-out-of-reasons-to-hate-1743021354

Long after the NFL was integrated and black players inundated the league at virtually every position, they were still deemed unfit to lead men, either as a head coaches or as quarterbacks. In 2003, the NFL instituted the Rooney Rule, mandating that NFL owners must interview at least one candidate of color for all coaching and front office roles in order to insulate owners from their own racism. Now, the last bastion of white paternalism is the quarterback position, where QBs are still viewed by some as adults in a room full of mostly black boys, moral paragons to show their teammates true north.

When Tom Brady celebrates hard after touchdowns, he’s merely pumping up his team. Philip Rivers is one of the biggest trash-talkers in sports, but he’s seen as a fiery competitor who wears his heart on his sleeve. On Sunday night, the Arizona Cardinals won a close game in Seattle against the Seahawks. Cardinals backup quarterback Drew Stanton waved running back Andre Ellington into the end zone from the sideline like the Cardinals had just won the Super Bowl in what was later described as an “ode to joy.”

And this article:

http://deadspin.com/peter-king-should-shut-up-about-cam-newton-1488498718

And this related article:

http://deadspin.com/what-about-the-maturation-of-peter-king-1615794668

And this article:

http://deadspin.com/how-cam-newton-became-the-dominant-force-in-football-1748306155

And this article about every black QB who has ever played. Scroll down for Newton's profile:

http://deadspin.com/the-big-book-of-black-quarterbacks-part-2-1588681846

Also, this satirical article:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/39297322/

I remember there was this one-season wonder running back for Favre and the Packers, who announcers kept saying was in the NFL to save money for med school.

Well, now he's Dr. Samkon Gado.

• Love 1

Jon Urschel is one of my favourite Ravens players, because he so thoroughly debunks the image of the football player as a big, violent meathead who lives on anger and performance enhancing drugs. This man has written maths papers where I didn't even understand all the words in the title, and he's so unassuming and down to earth. He says he spends his spare time playing chess and doing maths. No flashy cars or parties, no strip clubs (like that idiot Bryant McKinnie was so fond of). He's the sort of guy the NFL should champion.

They'd all tell you they're not racist, but they just like "gritty", "tough" white guys who "play the game like it used to be played" and don't like those "arrogant", "loud-mouthed", "urban" guys like Cam etc. But if a black guy is "well-spoken" (read: 'I'm surprised that he's not a brainless thug who can't string two words together') then he's usually more popular. I don't think it's actual overt racism, just the lazy, casual racism that too many people live their lives by. The sort of people who think it's fine to say, "I'm not racist but..."

The crusty old owners like Jerry Richardson would obviously like it if Cam was white, because that makes him more palatable and marketable to the America they understand, and to them as well. Hell, it's not that long since seeing any black QB at all was a rarity, and people made sly references to them not being smart enough to play the position. Sure, they're "athletic" but they don't have the "football IQ" to play QB in the NFL.

Cam Newton will never be accepted by the masses in the way that Andrew Luck has been, and that's sad. Because he's the better football player.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

Except Cam Newton isn't 22nd in sales all behind a bunch of white guys.

Top 50 Player Sales from March - Nov 2015

It's also worth noting that Charlotte is, according to this list, the 24th largest TV market in the US

Top 100 TV Markets in the US

On the other hand, Cam isn't even No. 1 on his own team since Luke Kuechly is No. 18 on the list.

On the other, other hand, as twoods noted, Cam's jersey sales are likely to go up, particularly if the Panthers win the Super Bowl.

Doug Williams heard the question "How long have you been a black quarterback?", but that's not what he was actually asked.

I hate to burden this column with the truth — really, why start now? — but I was next to the guy when that question supposedly was asked of Doug Williams, and what the reporter actually said was, "Doug, obviously you've been a black quarterback your whole life. When did race begin to matter to people?" Which was a perfectly reasonable question on a day when Williams was fielding hundreds of "black quarterback" questions. Problem was, Williams either misunderstood or didn't hear the question because he said, "How long have I been a black quarterback?"

• Love 1

Cam's jersey was 22 on the list because nobody cared about the Panthers until this season. It has nothing to do with racism. Now that the team is Super Bowl bound, sales will go up.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, but it's not the cause of everything. Cam has a flashy, show-boat personality which is going to rub some people the wrong way. I'd say more people loathe Tom Brady than they do Cam, and Tom is as white bread as you can get. As far as people pearl - clutching over his dancing, the opinion of one fan from a crap team doesn't represent the attitude of all Americans.

• Love 4

Cam's jersey was 22 on the list because nobody cared about the Panthers until this season. It has nothing to do with racism. Now that the team is Super Bowl bound, sales will go up.

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, but it's not the cause of everything. Cam has a flashy, show-boat personality which is going to rub some people the wrong way. I'd say more people loathe Tom Brady than they do Cam, and Tom is as white bread as you can get. As far as people pearl - clutching over his dancing, the opinion of one fan from a crap team doesn't represent the attitude of all Americans.

Thank you.  Frankly, I think there's pearl-clutching on both sides of the Cam issue.

• Love 2
How can one be a fan of the NFL and be racist?

Here's one anecdote for you, straight from my own family. A big play developed as a game was on, and one of my relatives yelled out "RUN, N****R, RUN!" Just like that. Huge football fan, loves the game - but for many, players are cogs in the machine and racism runs real deep. I hate it, I'm embarrassed  by it, and I wish it didn't happen but it did and I'd bet every dollar I own that it happens across America every Sunday. I wasn't at this particular gathering - my dad was and told me about it afterwards, horrified and ashamed. But still - neither he nor anyone else said anything. And that's also a huge part of the problem.

In other news: the Tyler Sash CTE news is really fucking sad. And scary.

If Cam is flashy and show boat, then what are Watt and Rodgers? I'm not seeing a difference in their on field demeanor. And I don't here people telling those guys to tone it down. Or mothers averting their precious kid's eyes.

The fact that he's black is a significant component to it.

• Love 5

If Cam is flashy and show boat, then what are Watt and Rodgers? I'm not seeing a difference in their on field demeanor. And I don't here people telling those guys to tone it down. Or mothers averting their precious kid's eyes.

The fact that he's black is a significant component to it.

But so what?  So what if there are some who are offended by Cam's actions because he's black?  Do you really think he gives a crap about what they think?  I just think that too much is being made of this.  Pearl-clutching, indeed.  

As far as I know, it was only that one woman complaining about her child being offended. One out of the 60,000 people at the game that day. Maybe she's a racist, maybe she's just jealous because the Panthers are a contender and the Titans are not. The media blew it out of proportion because that's what they do. The majority of the comments I've read on various sites have been supportive of Cam, so I just don't see the situation as some big racist conspiracy to bring down a black football player. I respect differing opinions of course, but I just chalk it up to success breeding envy. If the Panthers become the new Patriots, it'll only get worse.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1

A big play developed as a game was on, and one of my relatives yelled out "RUN, N****R, RUN!" Just like that. Huge football fan, loves the game - but for many, players are cogs in the machine and racism runs real deep. I hate it, I'm embarrassed  by it, and I wish it didn't happen but it did and I'd bet every dollar I own that it happens across America every Sunday.

If one thinks that this demeanor is limited to how one reacts to a sporting event for only 3-4 hours once per week for five months out of the year and that this vile attitude doesn't pervade into the rest of society in whom is getting hired for what jobs, pay raises for equal experience, relations with law enforcement, and so on, then it's burying one's head in the sand.

Cam should care because I see someone like Aaron Rodgers and JJ Watt in numerous national commercials. Yet, they act nearly exactly the same as Cam does, and I have yet to see him in a national commercial at all, let alone a fraction of the ubiquity that those guys are. And they should do commercials if they want. Cam has a lot of money and could very well have turned down national commercials. I find it unlikely, and it's more likely he hasn't been approached due to his perception in the media. So his marketability is not considered equal to his peers. 

But if a black guy is "well-spoken" (read: 'I'm surprised that he's not a brainless thug who can't string two words together') then he's usually more popular.

And it's no surprise that Russell Wilson has been in several national commercials. 

The fact that we have a problem with race in this country is an important societal issue that should be dealt with. I mean, enough is enough. Sports, reflection of society, etc.

I hope he wins the MVP. I think it will do some good. 

Well listen...I fully expect the Panthers to win...possibly by double digits. But should the Broncos pull out a win, I surely wont be sad about it. I like Peyton and would be happy to see him get another ring. Rarely are there "pick 'em" games...Vegas HAS to have a frontrunner right? I dont see it as disrespectful necessarily to say a 15-1 team who just blew out their last two opponents (at least in the first half vs Seattle) is the decided favorite.

I didn't say anyone was being disrespectful.  Just funny that so many are so convinced the team they are playing will trample them based on their past performance.  Considering they just overcame that mountain in pretty damn good fashion I don't get why so many are convinced they can't or won't do it again.

IMO it's anyone's game.  And any team being touted as the winner before the game is played should be wary.  That's not just any team playing the Broncos, that goes for the Broncos as well.  I seem to remember not too long ago when everyone expected the Broncos to march into the Super Bowl against the Seahawks and walk out with a trophy after barely breaking a sweat.  And we see how well that went.

Cam should care because I see someone like Aaron Rodgers and JJ Watt in numerous national commercials. Yet, they act nearly exactly the same as Cam does, and I have yet to see him in a national commercial at all, let alone a fraction of the ubiquity that those guys are.

Did you watch the championship games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=758EZXnOAtE

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 2

Stevia.

I buy that shit by the case.

Oooh, I'm going to have to try it. I've always loved yogurt but I'm trying to cut down on sugar. I can't stand the light stuff because it has a weird aftertaste.

eta: I just went to look up Triple Zero and Cam is on Oikos' homepage. 15 grams of protein isn't too shabby, I think I'll use it for my smoothies.

Edited by BitterApple

Nice legs, Cam.

Nice everything, Cam. I can't drool over the current NFL players because I'm (almost) old enough to be most of their mothers, but Cam Newton is a fine specimen. What I'd like to know is what product he uses to wash his face. His skin is practically flawless.

Triple Zero chocolate yogurt is the greatest yogurt I have ever had. Thanks Cam!

I must admit that I started eating this because of Cam's commercials. And I, too, love it. 

An NFL player was just accepted to the math PhD program at MIT

Impressive.

I know, right?

Edited by topanga

Clearly, my point was that I see Rodgers and Watt on commercials not during football games, or during football games where they're teams aren't playing. One time Newton was featured nationally in the championship game or divisional doesn't refute the initial premise. I'm sure regionally he's in a lot of commercials too. I don't think saying that some athletes are denied marketing opportunities because of race is a huge leap. 

I'm not saying everyone has to care about the issue and march in the streets, but I think for a lot of people the issue of race in sports is part of a larger context and it's troubling for some. It turns me off, and I'm not nearly the fan I was, and forget about pro sports getting much of my money, if at all. I don't get what actively trying to discount the premise achieves. It's kind of condescending actually. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 3

I know the yogurt ads have been on since at least the summer. I started a weight loss program in August and the head lady said if you eat yogurt, it has to have twice as much protein as sugar and lo and behold, there was pretty Cam telling me all about Triple Zero. And then he started getting crap from some fans about his antics and that sealed the deal.

• Love 1

Nice everything, Cam. I can't drool over the current NFL players because I'm (almost) old enough to be most of their mothers, but Cam Newton is a fine specimen. What I'd like to know is what product he uses to wash his face. His skin is practically flawless.

I must admit that I started eating this because of Cam's commercials. And I, too, love it.

When I first saw that Beats commercial where he's working out and then halfway through lifts his shirt to show his abs for a second...I thought that was an absolute thirst trap. And Im not even straight. But yes, Cam is very good looking with, as you said, great skin.

Im a big yogurt eater, but havent tried the Triple Zero stuff yet. I think ill pick one up in the morning and give it a try.

• Love 1