Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Once again, Peyton will have to depend on his defense to get him the win. I believe of his 13 playoff loses, he's held the lead late in the 4th 8 times. Just based on that, if I were him...I'd be nervous as hell. Archie looked like he's gonna have a heart attack up in that suite.

ETA: Not much dramatics to end this one.

I am DEFINITELY rooting for the Broncos. This is strictly a heart pick, because even if Peyton was 100% healthy and 5 years younger the smarter pick would be to go with NE, but I loathe them so much. I'm just hoping this Broncos defense keeps Brady on his back most of the game.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 2

I just don't see how scoring only one TD in a playoff game gets you into the superbowl. The Broncos defense is good, and they did beat the Pats this season, but just like yesterday, if you're going to mostly kick FGs, I don't think it's going to be a good day.

My favorite football play is the 2 point conversion. That was really good one. 

• Love 2

Heheh.  It's fun to see how the tone of the Carolina/Seattle game changed as it went on.  That beatdown in the first half was fun but the NFL has changed so much over the last few days.  Going up 31-0 in an NFL game and the other team would be dead in the water.  Now that's not the case.  Same in college too where TCU erased a 31-0 deficit against Oregon to win in double overtime.

Carolina and/or Arizona better learn to play all four quarters or this is going to be another guaranteed Patriots (3-point) Super Bowl victory.

I was glad to see Peyton get one more playoff victory.  The defense stepped up big and they are going to have their work cut out for them with the Patriots next Sunday.

Well Brady Manning again only seems appropriate.

They've met in the playoffs 4 times, each won 2, the home team has won all 4 times.

Should be a close game. I think Denver will likely need a defensive score to win. They are going to have to take some chances with blitzing and getting to Brady with pressure. Not sure Denver has the offensive firepower needed to keep up. They'd be better off letting Manning go to the hurry up at times, the offense I think runs better when they speed things up even though that seems to be against everything Kubiak wants to do.

If Manning/Broncos win, he will have made a SB with 4 different coaches.

Living in Charlotte I plan on going to the Arizona/Carolina game. Hoping for a Panthers win.

Manning gave the game ball to Demaryius Thomas to give to his mom. She was witnessing her son play for the first time ever in person. ESPN did a great article on her and Thomas last year or the year before. It's a great read, really gives you perspective on growing up in a completely different culture that most of us never come close to experiencing. Sorry, I have trouble posting links on here or I would provide it

• Love 1

As a Pats fan, I'm less concerned about the Broncos than I am about playing in Denver, which has been a house of horrors for us over the years. Really hoping BB's decision to mail in the last month of the season doesn't come back to haunt the Pats. That said, Denver will have to play better than they did today to beat NE--if not for Toussaint's fumble, the Steelers probably win that game. An Antonio Brown-less Steelers team led by a Big Ben that grimaced every time he threw.

Manning gave the game ball to Demaryius Thomas to give to his mom. She was witnessing her son play for the first time ever in person. ESPN did a great article on her and Thomas last year or the year before. It's a great read, really gives you perspective on growing up in a completely different culture that most of us never come close to experiencing. Sorry, I have trouble posting links on here or I would provide it

Ohhhhh, I had forgotten about that, I now remember reading about their story in the past, I'm pretty sure her sentence was just commuted last year.  I saw something on twitter today with a picture of him with his mom talking about a jersey someone had made for her with his number and was trying to figure out why that was a story (I don't regularly follow the Broncos).  I'll noodle around a bit to see if I can find a link, but I do remember that story resonating a bit when I read it back then.

ETA:  I think this is the article you were talking about DrSpaceman.  It's from Nov. 2014 (prior to when they knew she'd get the commutation).  Googling further, she was released to halfway house in July of last year and just met travel requirements

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

I really REALLY hope the SB showcases two number one QB's.

No kidding. Just think that if the Chiefs won, all QBs would have been former number one picks.

I'm rooting hard for the Cards, but the Panthers have a better chance of beating the Patriots.

Oh, spoke too soon. Better keep that ego in check, Cam. You haven't won the Super Bowl yet and besides that there's just no reason to be a hubris-flavored asshole.

Someone handed him a Seahawks flag, and he threw it on the ground. I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like he ripped it out of someone's hands and stomped on it.

• Love 6

I saw all this indignation on Twitter about Cam tossing the flag down and to that I say...so what?

You're a Seahawks fan in his house, why should he respect you? Don't want your flag on the ground? Don't hand it to the opposing QB.

I prefer my sportspeople to hate each other, not commingle like you're all friends regardless of team. Free agency helped ruin that.

• Love 4

I prefer my sportspeople to hate each other, not commingle like you're all friends regardless of team. Free agency helped ruin that.

I hate it when the game is over and they're laughing and hugging each other and patting each other on the back, looking like they're discussing which club they're going to that night.  It's one thing to maybe shake hands as a show of sportsmanship, and I know that some of the opposing players are friends, but I don't need to see the on field stuff right after the game.  The losing fans are madder than the players, and that just ain't right.  

• Love 4

My God, the amount of ticky tack stuff people complain about when it comes to Cam really has me scratching my head. Its a freaking banner from the opposing team no less in HIS home stadium. That has NOTHING to do with his sportsmanship. He already shook hands with the Seahawks players and said what he had to say. I didnt see his postgame presser, but im sure he said all the right things about how great a team the Seahawks are, etc. etc.

I get a few years ago when people used to complain about Cam's demeanor on the sidelines. How he would hang his head and isolate himself from the team. That is a legit thing to complain about. But all this crap about tearing down banners (he did this earlier in the season with a Packers banner) or him dancing too much is a bunch of bullshit.

Its funny because some people will say they dont want to see their team shaking hands and being all nice after a game, and then others will say how dare they not shake hands/bad sportsmanship, etc. Its like a damned if you do, damned if you dont kind of thing. So IMO, the players should do whatever THEY want because they'll obviously never please everyone. Some of these people treat the game as just a job. Not the same as a 9 to 5, but still something they get paid to do. Its not life or death to some of them just like im sure most people arent all that passionate about their jobs. And thats cool with me. As long as the effort is there.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 8

Its funny because some people will say they dont want to see their team shaking hands and being all nice after a game, and then others will say how dare they not shake hands/bad sportsmanship, etc. Its like a damned if you do, damned if you dont kind of thing. 

Not really.  I like how they do it after college basketball games, where the teams just line up and shake hands and it's no big deal but there's no gladhanding and yukking it up like some of the football players do after a game.  

But hey, you're right that the players will do what they want to do, but that doesn't  mean that some of us can't have an opinion about not liking some of the stuff that they do.    

• Love 1

I had a problem with Cam tearing down the Packers banner earlier this year.   That was someone else's property.   He had no right to touch it.   The 12th man Flag was handed to him.   Not, presumably to sign but to show how he felt about it.

I got no problem with players hugging and chatting after the game.   It's a game.   Not life.   What goes on between the lines of the field stays there.   Once the game is over, it's over.   Most of these guys are friends, went to school together, etc.   They have little control over whether or not they wind up on different teams from their friends.   So let them show their friendship off the field.

• Love 6

I'm sure players will get crap for just stomping off the field without shaking hands or sulking. I am glad some players realize it's a game, and there are other things more important in life. Seeing how insane some are on social media, I wish they got a clue.

Someone hands Cam a flag and he throws it, and there is a backlash. Can you imagine if Brady or Manning did that- would anyone care? I have wanted to throw that stupid flag, and any terrible towel, many times myself. Maybe next year if they play again and the Seahawks win, Sherman or Wilson can dance on a Cam jersey and have everyone laugh about it. Double standards.

LeSean McCoy got crap for not shaking hands after the bills were beat by the Eagles then got more crap for not talking to the media after.

It was handed to him what is he supposed to with it?

Is it really breaking news when the man who is going to be the new coach arrives in town? Because I don't think it necessary for local news to break into programming to tell us Doug Pedersen has arrived at the airport. Everyone knows he's the new coach, who's hopefully better at clock management than Andy Reid, I don't need to know his every movement.

Edited by shoregirl

It would have been awesome if he blew his nose with it or scratched his ass. 

It's simple, if he was white, he wouldn't be getting as much flack as he's getting. He'd be "brash" and "a born leader," or basically Favre. 

He dances when he scores and gives *kids* TD balls. That's got to be the most benign celebration ever.

• Love 6

I am very glad that Carolina won today. I am looking forward to their matchup next week against the Cardinals.

Totally agree, and will add that I am NOT AT ALL looking forward to Peyton v. Brady for the thousandth time.

• Love 1

Totally agree, and will add that I am NOT AT ALL looking forward to Peyton v. Brady for the thousandth time.

Part of me wants the Broncos to win, so Peyton can tell Brady to kiss it. But if the Panthers make it to the Super Bowl, which I'm predicting they will, I don't think the Broncos can beat them. Which would hurt Peyton's overall SB record. I personally don't care that he would have lost 2 Superbowls. But the Legacy critics would have a field day.

I don't care who wins either championship game next weekend, although I would love someone to tell Brady to kiss it, either in the AFC championship game or in the Super Bowl. And it would be nice to see Cam hoist the SB trophy, arrogance or not. 

--BTW, aren't most NFL superstars arrogant? These are men who have been told since they were like 8 years old that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. All through Pee Wee football, high school, college, and now the NFL. Transgressions are forgiven, people do their homework or fix their grades, women (and men, I'm sure) throw themselves at them for unlimited sex, crimes are covered up or forgiven, uniforms and shoes magically appear in their lockers, and show boating is rewarded by fans and coaches (except in the end-zone). I don't think a star player can help but be a little arrogant.  Notable exceptions: Larry Fitzgerald, Jason Witten, and a few others I'm forgetting. 

• Love 4

I was surprised the Steelers kept it that close, I look forward to next season hoping the Brown/Bryant tandem goes down in Steelers lore like Stallworth/Swann. For a couple of seasons at least.

Here's hoping the Panthers take it all!

• Love 1

It's simple, if he was white, he wouldn't be getting as much flack as he's getting. He'd be "brash" and "a born leader," or basically Favre. 

Y'know, I get that people hate the Seahawks or the Patriots or the Packers or whatever, but at the end of the day, unles you have a gambling problem, it's just a game. I hated the "Bitch Mode" t-shirts last year for the same reason - it's just disrespectful and childish. Just because you beat somebody doesn't discount them as a competitor. Hell, last year when the Seahawks beat the Panthers, I do not remember seeing the opposite happen.

As for jumping straight to the idea that this is because Cam Newton is black, I strongly disagree with you. Brady catches flack for his arrogant behavior. People have talked shit about Aaron Rodgers's championship belt buckle celebration. And Johnny Manziel has been catching Hell this whole year for partying. People are fickle and what's amusing five minutes in isn't always amusing ten minutes in. I won't argue with you that there's racism within the NFL. I always thought that the way the media discussed Colin Kaepernick in relation to Russell Wilson was pretty racist.

Look, I'm not saying that Newton had to convene an honor guard to retire the flag, but I am saying that this makes me personally like him less. I am not the whole world. I'm just expressing an opinion that being disrespectful to your opponent or their fans isn't necessary.

I had a problem with Cam tearing down the Packers banner earlier this year.   That was someone else's property.   He had no right to touch it.   The 12th man Flag was handed to him.   Not, presumably to sign but to show how he felt about it.

I got no problem with players hugging and chatting after the game.   It's a game.   Not life.   What goes on between the lines of the field stays there.   Once the game is over, it's over.   Most of these guys are friends, went to school together, etc.   They have little control over whether or not they wind up on different teams from their friends.   So let them show their friendship off the field.

Just pointing out: The Packers fan violated stadium rules by hanging up an opposing team's banner.

• Love 1

I'm not jumping to it. I've said it all year, and based on some of the sports radio shows I listen to, it's something people talk about. I'm not talking about the other QBs, I'm talking about how there's a ridiculous amount of derision about how Cam dances and gives a football to a kid. 

There's comments on this board about the Mom that practically fainted at the thought of her poor child seeing Cam dance. There's certainly a racial component to all of this. 

• Love 6

This reminded me of when Randy Moss scored a TD and then pretended to pull his pants down and moon the crowd in Green Bay. Joe Buck called it disgusting. It was as if Moss had actually pulled his pants down and showed his bare butt. I couldnt believe the outrage.
  • Love 3

Oh, I remember that too! You're totally underplaying Buck's reaction. He was clutching his pearls and nashing his teeth! 

Short of expecting players to shake a few hands when the game ends, looking to pro athletes for integrity in a league that tacitly endorses criminality seems a little much to me. It's like, Cam threw a towel on the ground. That's where the line is. Not the inter-state criminal syndicate, spousal abuse, child abuse, obstruction of a murder investigation. The towel. And the dancing. That's over the line? Ok. 

• Love 7

Someone hands Cam a flag and he throws it, and there is a backlash. Can you imagine if Brady or Manning did that- would anyone care? I have wanted to throw that stupid flag, and any terrible towel, many times myself. Maybe next year if they play again and the Seahawks win, Sherman or Wilson can dance on a Cam jersey and have everyone laugh about it. Double standards.

If Brady did it, there would definitely be an outcry against him - and Pats fans defending him. Brady doesn't get a pass on anything. (Disclaimer: I am a Pats fan but not a Brady apologist). Manning would also be talked about but because it would be so out of character.

Unfortunately I think that the more success and attention a player gets the more criticism as well. It's like any celebrity, there's always a contingent to take him or her down.

• Love 1

Brady is kind of an exception though because he's universally hated outside of Pats fans. If Manning would get a total pass because everyone would think he's being "Manning" from tv. I think it would be more like Flacco or Palmer, or Dalton. People would be like, uh ok, whatever. Newton's been ripped on all year for the dancing, etc., which is really really banal imo. There very well could be a component of "who does he think he is, he hasn't won a superbowl or even gotten to one." But I don't think that's all there is to it. 

I really don't have a horse in the race anymore, but I'll root for Carolina/Cam going forward.  However, based on their 2nd half meltdown against Seattle, I'm worried.  Five more minutes and Seattle would have won that game.  

• Love 1

As for jumping straight to the idea that this is because Cam Newton is black, I strongly disagree with you. Brady catches flack for his arrogant behavior. People have talked shit about Aaron Rodgers's championship belt buckle celebration. And Johnny Manziel has been catching Hell this whole year for partying. People are fickle and what's amusing five minutes in isn't always amusing ten minutes in. I won't argue with you that there's racism within the NFL. I always thought that the way the media discussed Colin Kaepernick in relation to Russell Wilson was pretty racist.

I'm just happy to see that Cam has been getting credit for his decision-making and football smarts. Too often you see athletes of color, including quarterbacks, being praised for their speed and athleticism but rarely for their knowledge of the game.

What did the media say about Colin and Russell? They're both black, by the way (Colin is bi-racial).

I'm just happy to see that Cam has been getting credit for his decision-making and football smarts. Too often you see athletes of color, including quarterbacks, being praised for their speed and athleticism but rarely for their knowledge of the game.

What did the media say about Colin and Russell? They're both black, by the way (Colin is bi-racial).

Kaepernick was flashy and respected for keeping it real while Russell Wilson's teammates allegedly questioned his blackness, though other Seahawks immediately came forward to deny it. It was the sort of story a host/columnist/blogger could put out there almost entirely based on their public personas. Russell was all Earnest Jesus-y Boy Scout with a white wife (at the time) so of course he couldn't possibly relate to Richard Sherman and Marshawn Lynch: so stupid. RG3 got the same sort of flack for being a "cornball brother".