Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E02: It's All In The Cards

• Start Topic

Yeah, as much as I believe that David would have shown more interesting designs than Amanda will, I have been railing against the mere lip-service allowed to the rules for so long, I'm glad they took that stand.

I really liked Jake's little black dress, but it was beyond basic, so I'm glad it was not in the top.

Is there some way I missed that Tim wasn't lying through his teeth when he told the judges all the material for Blake's dress was from the cards? Yes, Nina, it does look just like fabric. Funny, that.

I'm going to give Tim the benefit of the doubt and assume he was only talking about the lining and not the whole dress.  The judges cannot have missed that the skirt and bodice were not made out of cards, so bad on them for being hypocrits just because Heidi and guest-judge-starlet-I've-never-heard-of like the shiny.

Swapnil's had to grown on me, but I ended up liking it a lot.

Producers:  I LIKE that this group likes each other and talking heads actual contain praise for another designer.  Please don't screw that up with your shenanigans.  Thank you.

• Love 14

I am really enjoying this season so far and a big part of that is that I am loving how well the contestants get along.  The decrease in drama is wonderful (I was going to say the "lack of drama" but I think as long as Blake is still in it, there will be drama).

Word to Blake -- Small children are adorable.  Small children who think are adorable and try to act adorable, are a lot less adorable.  Adults who think they are adorable and try to act adorable are the most opposite of adorable that a person can be.  Saying you are adorable does not make you adorable.  Saying you have no filter does not make it okay to say whatever you want. 

I agree with the winner. I'm a little confused about where the paper for the skirt came from.

I don't know either and really wish they would have explained it.  My best guess is that it is the stiffer-than-tissue-paper stuff that some stores use to wrap breakable things.

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 8

Swapnil's eyes are amazing.  He's a good looking guy overall, but those eyes are magical!

He is mesmerizing.  He gives me a young Omar Sharif vibe, and I think he's gorgeous. 

There was definitely an ass-flash with Edmonds dress on the walk back up the runway, but it was a blink-and-you-missed-it moment.  His dress overall was lovely and the model wore it well.  It's nice to see his dedication to this franchise finally pay off.  I hope they don't screw with him too much.  

Blake needs to just STFU.  Idiot. 

• Love 5

After further examination of the final looks, a few things stand out to me....

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/photos/season-14-episode-2-final-looks#id=1

- Candice's silver dress is  constructed very intricately in the back, especially the skirt.  I wish she had gotten more attention, as I think it's pretty amazing. 

- On the back view of David's coat, right at the model's hipline, the letters read "Damn Ho".  Accidental?

- Edmond's model, Lindsey's model and Joseph's model look like triplets.

- I will be very happy when gladiator sandals and shoe-booties fall out of favor.  And I'm hoping for no exposed back zippers this season.   

• Love 7

I didn't read Blake's comments about setting up the machine as rude...I think it WAS meant to be grateful if Swapnil did set up the machine for everyone. I thought he got irritated and impatient that Swapnil didn't understand the question ...am I wrong? I may have to re watch that exchange.

And I too was waiting for a penalty on the muslin of glitter. How in the heck did that meet the expectations of the challenge?

• Love 6
Yep, hate Blake. He's not adorable, he's insufferable. And if Twitter is any indication, lots of people agree with me.

I can almost feel sorry for Blake, because he's trying so hard to say shocking things - he can barely get some comments out because he's giggling like a four year old who just said "poop." I think in just a few years he will probably be crushingly embarrassed by his immature performance here. He seems like a painfully insecure person who is massively overcompensating. But...that's as far as I can go. He really is horrible and his seeming desire to be seen in this light (to be a "villain," or to think having no filter makes him "adorable," or whatever the fuck he thinks he's doing) makes him even more gross.

Nothing new to add: thought Swapnil should have won, didn't understand why Blake's junior prom look was in the top, didn't really care who went home this early in the game but continue to find the judging mystifying - I hate that Heidi's desire for short-n-tight-n-shiny sometimes elevates club dresses over (in my view) much more tasteful designs.

• Love 10

Why did we only have 2 bottom looks this time?? I mean, I know that they were all "Ashley, you're lucky you have immunity!" but that shouldn't necessarily mean that only 2 people are in contention for the bottom. It means that Ashley is luck and some other person has to join the bottom three... or they could bring her out and critique her dress knowing that she can't be sent home.

There were a lot of looks that were worse, IMO anyway, and letting them be safe is annoying. I didn't mind Blake's dress, but I would have put it in the middle due to the amount of fabric he used. The black glittery dress was really nice looking and I thought it should have been one of the top looks over some of the ones they chose.

I did like the winning dress, and I thought Swapnil made good use of the 3d embellishments, which they pointed out in the beginning of the challenge were part of this fancy new line of cards.  I didn't like the hoodie plus fringe skirt look at all, and was so confused when they had it as a top look.

But I suppose, I rarely am on the same page as the judges... so it's no surprise.

• Love 4

I can almost feel sorry for Blake, because he's trying so hard to say shocking things - he can barely get some comments out because he's giggling like a four year old who just said "poop." I think in just a few years he will probably be crushingly embarrassed by his immature performance here. He seems like a painfully insecure person who is massively overcompensating. But...that's as far as I can go. He really is horrible and his seeming desire to be seen in this light (to be a "villain," or to think having no filter makes him "adorable," or whatever the fuck he thinks he's doing) makes him even more gross.

He tweeted "#sorryimnotsorry #nofilter" in response to the episode, so yeah, I don't feel sorry for him at all. I have zero tolerance for racism (I'm glad Swapnil used that word to describe what Blake said, because it's accurate), and I REALLY have zero tolerance for people who think being ignorant is cute.

• Love 18
I will be very happy when.....shoe-booties fall out of favor.
Considering I've been wearing this style since ninth grade, and I'm 65 now, I wouldn't hold my proverbial breath!

IMO, Blake got a pass over David because the latter's product had an air of contempt for the challenge, while the "Glitter explosion" at least showed some joy. Plus, it is not nothing that Blake used more of the actual cards.

• Love 3

I loved both pieces we saw from David, but his auf was justified, based on the challenge. 

However, David's garment was silver(?) glitter-covered muslin with ~30 card fragments the same way Blake's was pink/purple glitter-covered muslin with ~30 card fragments, so wtf?

Regardless of which designer Tim eventually saves, I doubt if it's going to be someone with more talent and creativity left to be seen than David.  Just couldn't pull the trigger on that gimmick so early, could you, show?

• Love 3

He tweeted "#sorryimnotsorry #nofilter" in response to the episode, so yeah, I don't feel sorry for him at all. I have zero tolerance for racism (I'm glad Swapnil used that word to describe what Blake said, because it's accurate), and I REALLY have zero tolerance for people who think being ignorant is cute.

As cloying and ignorant as Blake is, he's still fairly mild when compared to people who have appeared on past seasons.   He doesn't appear to be insane or evil, so that's a step up.   I'm hoping this season is more about the designs than about mean girl cliques in the work room.

(edited due to double post)

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 5

Thanks for the link to the pix of the garments. I am curious about the gold dress (Laurie's?). Can someone determine if the ruffle on the bottom is from the cards? It's a cute dress.

• Love 1

Me, bitching, part two.

I think picking Hallmark card stock for the unconventional material challenge was a terrible idea.  95% of the material consists of flat 5" x 7" pieces of paper and the other 5% is some little flat doodad affixed to the paper or--big score!--envelope liner?

They totally sacrificed the fun and puzzle of turning three dimensional objects into wearable art.  Go dismantle another automobile!

That being said, Edmond's dress was the prettiest--and the wedding bouquet rose was a brilliant touch. . .but those giant swaths of stiff white paper definitely did not come from the Hallmark store.  Edmond only used the "unconventional materials" from the challenge to fashion a little strapless corset, just like many others.

Edited by candall
  • Love 4

Can someone determine if the ruffle on the bottom is from the cards?

I believe the ruffle was made from strips of a burlap-type, wide ribbon.  Though I don't know that it embellished some of the cards or was found in the workroom.  

Edited by leighdear

I think the big swaths of paper at the bottom of the wedding dress were from the shopping bags that they were putting their cards into. So, from the store, and paper, but not the cards or envelopes.

Lindsay:  Another Star Trek alien ambassador dress.  Nicely done but a little ho hum once you get beyond the idea that she looks like she's about to have a fling with Captain Kirk.

Captain Kirk would never have a fling with someone who looked like that!  His type was more the Kelly's girl with lots of exposed skin.  Lindsay's looked like someone Captain Picard would talk to at a cocktail party.  She makes some seriously boring clothes.

• Love 5

Is there some way I missed that Tim wasn't lying through his teeth when he told the judges all the material for Blake's dress was from the cards? Yes, Nina, it does look just like fabric. Funny, that.

And speaking of Blake, the speaking indian thing wasn't even the most offensive part of that exchange. Swapnil was helpful enough to point out to the designers working with the heavy materials that there were machines specifically for that in the workroom, and Blake responded with "Did you set those up for us?" as if Swapnil was the help. That wasn't a language barrier excuse me. That was a Did you seriously just say that? excuse me.

I agree with the winner. I'm a little confused about where the paper for the skirt came from.

Skirt: Pretty sure it was the bags they brought the cards back in.

Blake's comment: As much as I can't stand him, I interpreted it as heading for a thank you, not "you're a minorty therefore you're a servant". Then he couldn't understand Swapnil's answer.

Tim: I could have sworn I heard Nina mention the fabric and Tim respond that the fabric specifically also came from the cards. Which of course, would be a big fat ol' pants-on-fire lie.

I hate to bring this up, but didn't Tim dissuade David from his first design?  It seemed like he was paper piecing together something that Tim called constipated.  

I thought it was headed in a good direction. I don't see how it was any more constipated than other designs piecing cards together to form patterns

• Love 5

I hate to bring this up, but didn't Tim dissuade David from his first design?  It seemed like he was paper piecing together something that Tim called constipated.

I think you're right - which makes me wonder if the producers are trying to make Tim look like he doesn't know what he's doing. Last week, he said he got a "positive reaction" from a dress that ended up in the bottom and this week, his critique helps steer a designer to elimination. Hmmm....

I love episodes that lead to interesting Google searches. For the record, googling manatee penis is far more disturbing than it should be, but it did lead to the discovery that manatee penises are actually located "inside," so the designer who thought it would be funny and cool to come up with that image is...well, fail. Don't try to make manatee penis happen, OK?

Kelly, Pat Benatar called. Get in your time machine and travel back for your spot as an extra on the "Love is Battlefield" video.

Why do the producers continue to cast directly from the Special Snowflake Glittery Unicorn Guild? I'd much rather watch a camera-punching whats-his-name from a season ago if we must have drama. 

I'm very glad that so far, they haven't decided to bring Kate back to try to make her happen for the gazillionth time, but the season is young.

• Love 5

Paging Edwin Drood.

Hee! Sarah, you crack me up.

I was sorry to see David go, but he probably wouldn't have lasted given his continued time management issues. I continue to hate Blake and Merline with the heat of one thousand suns. That is all. 

• Love 3

I looked at the episode pictures on Lifetime's site, and the big "petals" on Edmond's dress definitely weren't from the Hallmark bags.  If you look at them here you can definitely see that the petals were too big to be from the bags.

Also, those of you who don't know who Ashley Tisdale is obviously haven't been around many tweens!  ;)  She was a Disney Channel staple a few years back, both on The Suite Life and in the High School Musical movies.

Looking at the outfits again, Ashley was REALLY lucky she had immunity.  That stiff poncho could have definitely gotten her sent home.

Interesting how Merline's obnoxious chatter suddenly stopped this week.  Was it editing?  Did she have major anxiety/nerves during the first challenge?  I had suspected she was trying to play a "character" (I found her comments roughly as tone-deaf and potentially offensive as Blake's) to get screen time and give the producers a reason to have her stick around.  But maybe it was genuine(ly annoying).

Edited by pigs-in-space
  • Love 4

Why did we only have 2 bottom looks this time?? I mean, I know that they were all "Ashley, you're lucky you have immunity!" but that shouldn't necessarily mean that only 2 people are in contention for the bottom. It means that Ashley is luck and some other person has to join the bottom three... or they could bring her out and critique her dress knowing that she can't be sent home.

My guess is that it has to do with how the looks were scored.  Either the top 4 had really close scores, then there was a big gap to the 5th place score, or the bottom three (including Ashley) had close scores and there the gap to the fourth from the bottom was too large for it to really be a bottom finisher. Or maybe Kelly's and Blake's scores were tied so they both went into the top along with Swapnil and Edmund.

You know he's watching the show with a group of friends and they're all saying "You go, Blake! You're my hero!" He's probably not a hard-core racist, but he's got that smiling insolence that's meant to denigrate.

Re Merline's silence this episode, I think the chatter was excitement and being in the "honeymoon" phase of the competition, but then it suddenly "got real" and she had to quiet down to get her work done.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 1
In defense if Ashley, I think she thought it would look and move differently than it did but was also too overwhelmed and lost to scrap it and try something else.

I agree.  I don't think she blew it off, and to her credit, she knew it was a poor effort.

• Love 2

You know he's watching the show with a group of friends and they're all saying "You go, Blake! You're my hero!" He's probably not a hard-core racist, but he's got that smiling insolence that's meant to denigrate.

Yeah, but he seems to apply it to everyone, so it's less racist than narcissist, IMO

And you really think he has a group of friends to watch the show with?

• Love 3

Blake can GTFO with his "I'm adorable [simpering giggle]" and "I don't speak Indian" BS. That's just gross. I was impressed with how coolly Swapnil responded, and I was also heartened that a lot of the other designers let out a disapproving "whooooooaaaa" at Blake's comment.

• Love 5

I completely took Blake's comment as racist.  He's just so adorable that he doesn't know he is a racist.

There were levels of stank eye on the runway this time that exceeded any levels ever achieved!  Blake to Swapnil, Swapnil to Blake, Edmond to Swapnil, Blake to Edmond, etc.  And Kelly's just standing there in the middle of it all.

• Love 3

Kelly's '90s look isn't any more twee than pointed nails, cross-dressing, or any of the million other "artistic personality" affectations that have popped up on PR.  What I do like about her is that she comes across as sweet and humble.  Her story about learning to alter her thrift-store clothing so that other people wouldn't recognize the clothes they'd donated was really touching.

Note to Blake:  Just don't make fun of people's accents. It isn't adorable, ever.

I would have been pleased with Swapnil or Edmond winning.  Swapnil's was impeccably made and really beautiful, but normal-looking. Edmond's was a wow-moment meant to emphasize Hallmark's connection to special occasions.  I think it was very smart to keep his thoughts and plans to himself; all it takes is for a competitor to throw subtle shade at your unfinished design to make you second-guess yourself and fall apart. 

Over the years, the judges have gravitated to unconventional materials challenge garments where you can't necessarily tell what the material is. Like Korto's (I think) woven seat belt coat. They often criticize contestants for using materials that are too fabric-like, such as tablecloths or napkins.  They have no problem with flowers and beads or pebbles hot-glued to muslin, so long as they (and not the muslin) create the fabric effect.  (Which is why I cannot fathom what David was thinking with his well-made muslin hoodie.)  They have typically praised designers who use the unconventional material to create a textile and then create a garment from that.  If you didn't know Swapnil's dress was made of paper, you probably wouldn't see it, unlike most of the others, which looked like the rectangular paper or envelopes that they were (see Merline's and Pistachio's, respectively).

• Love 2

Oooh, Gabrielle is a smarty at the start: the people who did well were the ones who reflected & started over.

"I will barter my life for them. You want to see me dance?" - Candice. Teehee.

I liked that Edmond kept to himself.

Oh, ffs, Blake. You can leave now. Go.

Swapnil, on the other hand, you can stay. Putting up a wall, leaving the controversy to the clothes. Excellent. I still love your contacts, too.

TG visits: "this, to me, looks like you're repairing a roof". I liked how he talked to Candice and Gabrielle, and I don't mind their concepts, either, except Gabrielle's is rather vaginaesque.

Aw, David. So cute, so stuck.

I like Amanda's top (color behind black 'lace') but she's in a bad spot. The skirt frightens me.

Ashley's glasses are great,  and her sweet consoling "let's go have a bagel" to David.

Nice editing - 'glitter glitter glitter' + Amanda's shirt.

The only thing good about Kelly's is the hood. 

Blake  can shut up, I don't need his THs. I enjoyed Lindsay and Ashley, though.

Day of Runway:

Kelly made her model look like her.

Ew, Joseph's is bad.

Nobody, but nobody, wants to see a manatee penis walking down the runway.

Runway:
Edmond was the right winner, Merline lucked out being safe. 

This much crying so early in the season? Whoa. It's too bad David's gone, I have a feeling we're going to miss his calm. And his accent, of course. Let's go get a bagel.

• Love 2

Random bits of flotsam and jetsam:

I don't think Blake IS a racist. I think he's ignorant, too stupid to realize he sounds racist, yet he thinks he needs to TALK and he thinks we care what he has to say!! I know I don't. And I, too, totally call bullshit on his dress NOT being mostly muslin. I don't care if the glitter DID come from scraping the cards. I also don't care that he lined the back of the skirt with some paper from the cards. That dress was 81% muslin and should have been in the bottom with the other two.

I guess season 13 broke the judges because they have done complete turn arounds from their previous opinions and actions on past seasons. A couple of people have actually WON the "unconventional material" challenge with garments that were mostly fabric. Also, I dislike Amanda almost as much as Blake, and I would have much preferred her to go home over David. How many times in the past have we seen Nina, Zac, Kors before Zac, Heidi, and hell, even Tim, say lace looks old lady and dowdy? Yet they raved about Amanda's top. Her skirt was hideous. She doesn't seem to have any discernible viewpoint or talent to me, so I'm hoping she's the next one to go.

Was happy for Edmond's win; yeah, I guess it wasn't innovative, but what IS on this show? We've pretty much seen it all. And last week, so many people stayed with looks straight from JCPenney's junior department, it was ridiculous. A couple of those guys should have gone home last week. So I'm okay with his win, but for me, the most amazing thing he did was the giant rose and then cleverly dressing himself as a hip hop groom. Kadooz for the styling, Edmond! I also like his no-nonsense attitude and staying above most of the fray.

Swapnil's was amazing and I probably would have given that one the win. Re: his eyes. They're coloured contacts. Not that they don't flatter him, but if you look closely at the irises, I'm pretty sure I can pick out the coloured contact stippling. I really do like him as a person and designer, so far, though. Maybe he'll be my new horse in the race, if Ashley continues to disappoint. Oh Ashley! That poncho looked like something Korinna would have made, and that is never good.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

I think the big swaths of paper at the bottom of the wedding dress were from the shopping bags that they were putting their cards into. So, from the store, and paper, but not the cards or envelopes.

Captain Kirk would never have a fling with someone who looked like that!  His type was more the Kelly's girl with lots of exposed skin.  Lindsay's looked like someone Captain Picard would talk to at a cocktail party.  She makes some seriously boring clothes.

The shopping bags!  I never considered that.  Good for Edmund for considering ALL the materials available to him.

Agreed, she's much more of a Picard love interest look than a Kirk one.   Still, that dress is fully anchored in a dull version of the 23rd century.

Blake's comment: As much as I can't stand him, I interpreted it as heading for a thank you, not "you're a minorty therefore you're a servant". Then he couldn't understand Swapnil's answer.

I was confused by the exchange (before he said "I don't speak Indian," which yes, I thought was a racist thing to say). But up to that comment, I thought it was simply a misunderstanding between them. Blake was trying to be cute (and like slothgirl said, probably was waiting for Swapnil to say, "Yeah, I set them up" so he could say, "Aww, thanks"), but then Swapnil kept saying, "What?" which confused me. I didn't know if Swapnil didn't understand what Blake said (because Blake's trying to be overly "adorable" and thus his words start to blend together, causing him to be misheard) and maybe Swapnil needed him to repeat what he said? But after Blake said it a second time and Swapnil still didn't seem to understand him (and Blake looked at him like "I don't know how else to word "Did you set them up for us?"), I wondered if maybe it was a language barrier thing, like maybe Swapnil didn't understand the phrase? (And then Blake ruined it completely with his "I don't speak Indian," which was both racist and moronic.)

The only reason I wonder if Swapnil wasn't understanding Blake is because years ago I trained a couple guys from India and every night I would wrap training with, "Okay, that's enough for today. Don't study tonight - make sure you go back to your hotel and take it easy." After a few days of this, one of the guys came up to me privately and said very shyly, "Could you please explain, what is 'take it easy'?" And for a split second I kind of stared blankly at him, not comprehending his comprehension issue, because these were very well-spoken younger guys who spent a lot of time with computers and on the internet, so I guess I just assumed that they were familiar with American colloquialisms like that. But they genuinely did not know what I meant by that. I had to explain that I meant go back to your hotel and do something fun or relaxing, nothing taxing on the brain after all the stuff they'd learned during the day, just "take it easy." And from then on, whenever that guy left for the day, he'd delightedly say, "Good night! Take it easy!" (Which was very sweet.)  So up until Blake opened his big mouth and said, "I don't speak Indian," I thought maybe Swapnil either didn't hear Blake's mumbling or didn't understand his wording "Did you set that up for us?"

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 10

From the recap/review:

David is bounced for "taking the easy way out" and not using enough cards in his hoodie dress, and while it's customary for the unconventional-materials challenge to require that a certain percentage of the garment come from said materials, 1) that percentage is not mentioned, that I heard; 2) Blake didn't exactly follow that rule either, if you think about it; and 3) though neither David nor Amanda had the worst thing on the runway, if it is down to those two, you don't send the guy with the actual point of view home.

I'm with Sarah on this. YES. You don't send the guy with an actual point of view home.

Especially when the week before you sent home a guy for not having a point of view, and this week you accused Amanda of the same issue. Either they need to be consistent and send home those who need to figure out their point of view, or PR needs to make the rules clearer about percentage of materials and what constitutes materials for the challenge!

• Love 6

What I have always hated about this show is the inconsistency of the judging.  For one designer, they love something about the design, but for another person, what they claimed to like on the first one, they say they hate on the other.  Be FREAKING consistent, dammit.  They were this way on this show, downing the frou-frou on one dress and loving Ed's frou-frou skirt.

I totally disliked Edmond's dress from the very start.  To me, it looked like rolled up butcher's paper----actually, I had just finished unwrapping some steaks for the grill in that same paper.  And if he didn't truly follow the the rules of the challenge by not using a majority of cards, then he should have been smacked down.  No way was the skirt made of cards.  But I think he won because he used the Hallmark name prominently on his dress.  It's all about the advertisers. 

Love, love Swapnil and he should have won.  His dress was absolutely beautiful and looked very Chanel or St. John in design.  I would wear that dress with no problem.

Ashley's whatever, was truly terrible.  She, and everyone else who might get immunity, better watch out and not just coast on their immunity week, because they're going to put negative thoughts in the judges mind that they might not forget for future challenges.   

I was just reading Sarah's review and looking at the pictures again. How Merline's didn't end up in the bottom, I do not know. It looks like she just glued a flap of paper to the bottom in back! And one leg looks like it's in bike shorts while the other leg is covered in the skirt - it's just bad all around.

• Love 3

Gabriella:  How did Nina or Heidi not call this dress out for looking like a giant salute to the vagina?  When Tim saw it, it had a lot of potential.  I agreed with him.   Then, as she continued along....holy crud.  Why was there a stiff tongue sticking down in front of her knees?   I wish she'd have done the pattern only the top of the dress, then gone with something else from the waist down.

I couldn't think of this child's name. She was probably the most disappointing of the night to me. When she started and Tim was talking to her, she felt like she was designing something that would land her on top. Although I though Ashley's vagina comment was hilarious, I didn't think it reminded me of it, just didn't like it at all, it was sort of asymmetrical without seemingly intending to be I think.

Not sure what others were seeing as she was building the dress, but I thought she was designing something like a peacock dress of sorts and I was really looking forward to seeing such a beautiful, vibrant dress. I wasn't expecting much from the others I didn't like so they weren't disappointing exactly, but Gabriella to start, she really had me thinking hers was going to be fantastic, possibly only next to Edmond's.

As for Ashley, I give her a pass for this week. It's a shame to coast on your immunity week, but every immunity week isn't the unconventional challenge to be completed in 24 hours either. I liked the overall look of what she was beginning to build before Tim talked to her much more than what she sent down the aisle. I think Tim was right about the boxyness and shoulders, but wish he would have talked to her about maybe going with a dress instead of a poncho or whatever she originally wanted that wouldn't require shoulders or to come up with a solution using material for areas that would be too boxy otherwise.

Not sure who, but someone upthread was curious about Edmond's skirt material. Pretty sure he used the envelopes to create that look. I think similar to Swapnil, he connected the envelopes well making use of the machines more than the others. And Edmond seemed to use all parts of the card, including the inner layer of thin material that come with many cards as a protective layer.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 1

Edmond deserves a cash bonus for the great advertising he gave Hallmark. He had to win for his clever and positive branding.

I like to think Swapnil has wins ahead of him. He's my favorite. That dress made me swoon.

I hope PR brings David back at some point. His elimination didn't seem right. Don't boring or amateur designers get sent home early? He was neither.

• Love 5

Also, Edmond should have gotten bonus points for dressing up as the groom. Not because he dressed his model up as a bride, but because the card that inspired his direction had a bride and groom on it, so he really went the extra mile to sell the look even above the clever bouquet.

I don't feel too bad for David. He seems nice, but he didn't seem to have his head in the game this week. He couldn't have been given more warnings about having too much material that wasn't cards. Like it was ridiculous how many warnings he was given from so many people, including Tim. They told him repeatedly, that's not the challenge, the judges are going to make an issue of it. This isn't the first or even the eighth season where there is a question about how the judges view using too much additional fabric. Despite how many times he was told this, he still didn't do anything and that's when there was plenty of time remaining. Say what you will about Amanda, but she was much further behind than David and still sent a fully covered dress down the runway. He could have done a lot more with that coat that still matched the urban style he was after. I think, given the opportunity to return, he'll decide how bad he wants this and come back with renewed focus. Seems like a sweet guy. Maybe if not this season, he'll get a shot next season, wouldn't be the first time.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 6

I thought "Manatee penis" was Merline's. The one whose model pulled a card out was Hanmiao.

You're right.  I combined the two in my head.  Merline's manatee penis dress deserved to be in the bottom.  That was some serious fug. 

• Love 2

So who is Blake related to? The way they jumped all over themselves to point out that there were cards underneath when clearly there were only cards around the midsection on the outside, just so they could make excuses for him. I mean how do they get down on the they guy they auf'ed for not using cards when Blake's was at least 2/3 rds glitter?  That thing sucked, an 8th graded could have made it.  I'm not saying it wasn't sort of cute but really, to bang on about the one dress being Katy Perry and that thing looked like a Michael's craft project.  Really sort of p.o.ed. there. 

But who I think really deserved to go home was that guy with the pink bottom with the pockets.  That was hideous and absoutely not creative in design or with the materials. 

I think the Belgian had a lot of promise as did Duncan.  That's two I wish would have stayed over others. 

• Love 4

Blake is not adorable. He is insufferable. I literally paused my DVR to hurl insults at my screen when he said "I don't speak Indian." There is no language called Indian you fucking dolt.

Right there with you. I could not believe he went there. inches from "speak English, you dumb foreigner, this is America!" what a dink. And newsflash, Blake. If you have to tell people you're adorable, you're not.  

Kelly's '90s look isn't any more twee than pointed nails, cross-dressing, or any of the million other "artistic personality" affectations that have popped up on PR.  What I do like about her is that she comes across as sweet and humble.  Her story about learning to alter her thrift-store clothing so that other people wouldn't recognize the clothes they'd donated was really touching.

Agreed. I adore Kelly, I find her so cute and unassuming, but not intimidated, even though she's surrounded by people who are well trained and much more experienced than she is. I loved her outfit. Calling it Katy Perry was right on the money, and I don't see why that's a bad thing! Its a DRESS. Made of GREETING CARDS. Lighten up, judges.

Also, Edmond should have gotten bonus points for dressing up as the groom. Not because he dressed his model up as a bride, but because the card that inspired his direction had a bride and groom on it, so he really went the extra mile to sell the look even above the clever bouquet.

That was tremendously cute and made me smile. He really thought about the big picture. Since he's been auditioning for years, I'm sure he's spent plenty of time thinking about what he'd do in every situation! Props to him and I hope we get to see more of his strategy. I like him a lot more this week. 

I hope the fact that we're not seeing much of Candice yet means she's in it for the long haul. I like her. Swapnil is my favorite. He handled Blake perfectly by not paying attention to him, since that is what he craves the most. I am cautiously optimistic about this season! 

• Love 8

Amandas eyebrows bother me. It weirds me out. I am so shallow. I like Joan Cusack a lot, Kelly I think her name is. I don't hate blonde hipster as much as I did last week.

• Love 3

I'm kind of obsessed with Kelly.  I love that she carries tea around in her fanny pack.  I love that she confuses me with her personal style versus her actual interactions with others.  I enjoyed the tessellation of her top (and that Zac referred to it as such!).

I don't like Blake, and I feel sorry for the model who will never get all that glitter off, but he did use material from cards for the "lining" part of the low side of his dress.  I don't think he deserved to be in the top based on how little of the store materials he used, but he did use slightly more than David. 

• Love 4