Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E01: The Guys And Girls Make It To Hollywood

Another season of muting every scene that is just the models interacting or sob stories.  SO much easier to watch that way. I've slowly come around to liking the boys & girls together in a season.  I think the photo shoots and challenges are more interesting.

The usual mix of stunning, average, pretty, quirky, unattractive, humble and conceited. And the girls that think big boobs are going to get them designer shows obviously know ZERO about the modeling business.  Big boobs don't work for the catwalk.  

I love Tyra's short hair.  I think it works for her.

And I am absolutely in love with Nyle.  Really nothing else to say.  *LOL*

• Love 8

Devin's eyeballs seem to work independently of each other like a chameleon. Or Marty Feldman.

So I guess Tyra will be rocking "Frankendresses" this cycle. AND flashing the double deuces. Drink for that. Her hair is fine. Keep in mind she rocked a clown wig for a "cycle".

Jade would not appreciate a broke ass crown without diamonds.

Welcome back from under the bridge, Kelly.

• Love 4

Buck teeth and short. You can market one or the other, but not both, Tyra--also the brown roots with neon hair is that a look or sloppiness?.  That girl who was in every talking head--virgin from Kansas or East Jesus-- her big trauma was that (cue same sad music for each hamster), her parents divorced when she was 15!  How is she still breathing!! Blonde with tits looks like Jamie Pressley, they only cast her to put her down for her tits. Guy who is ripped but short has the best photographers in the world because he looks like nothing in person.

Mute guy is winning.  Please god, let us find out in 5 months that he's a fake.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 5

With all the sob stories, there will be a lot of crushing eliminations. I guess we have something to look forward to.

They need to be careful with the Vegas bashing since Zappos is a Vegas company.

I'm going to need to learn sign language so Nyle won't have to bring his interpreter on our honeymoon.

• Love 13

I can't wait for the makeovers! There was some serious fug going on. There were some good looking people, Nyle for instance. I wonder if they will make him wax his chest? I hope not. So because everyone is short, no one has a chance to be a real model? Ok, so like every other season, got it. I am going to play a drinking game, its the only way to get through. Drinks for the double dueces is a must, as well as bootches and tooches and all that other nonsense. I should be hammered by the first commercial.

• Love 6

You guys, if you drink every time someone flashes the double deuces this season you'll have alcohol poisoning by the first commercial break! :D

Agreed on the fug, though. Yikes. I can only assume that crazy eyes and the whackadoo guy with the big nose and crazy eyes of a normal color will not actually make it to the final cast. Because… seriously? But a lot of these people (like the girl with the bad hair color and jacked-up teeth and all the guys with long hair) are a hot mess. Hopefully they don't wait too long for the makeover episode!

Deaf guy is my immediate favorite. As soon as he showed up and turned out to not only be pretty, but deaf, I was like, "He's SO in." And probably top three, if he doesn't win it entirely. Of course, he could end up being terrible in front of the camera, so who knows.

That black girl with the fake boobs who was in pageants is also going to make it because she's kind of bitchy, and they'll need that in the house. Also virgin girl is annoying but she'll probably get in, too because it'll create drama.  Oh, and that obnoxious frat boy who loves himself and has a million instagram followers. He's in because he'll drive me up the wall. Ugh.

Also, the editors on this show are still clearly not even trying. At the end when they were going to make the first cut, I was like, "Oh, we'll we'll lose that boy who got about 30 seconds of screen time with the judges and we didn't even see his photo I don't think, that Zac Efron one who we saw, but not in front of the judges at all, plus those other half-dozen people who are showing up on camera for the first time right now." I mean, come on. At least TRY to give us a little misdirection, people.

I promise I'll learn names once the show starts for real. And even then just my favorites and the ones who stand out because they annoy me. The others will be going home quickly anyway. :D

• Love 4

Let me first get this clear--I am watching this show no matter what happens, short of murder or maiming.  But Tyra, lord god, can't you even pretend that the winner of this show is going to go out and model?  This schtick of "Let's all be free and be ourselves and tell the world the way it's going to be" is a veneer so thin over "no one who actually can be a viable model will try out for this show anymore, it's so tainted, so we have to take stupid, short buck toothed selfie-addicts."  What is a short model going to do--face shots and Talbots Petite or another petite catalog/site?  Miss J and Kelly, turn your heads in shame.  You are actual working professionals in the fashion and modeling industry.(wags my finger)

That's why girl who was 5 11" and didn't get picked was so shocked (to tell the truth she was a bit rat-faced).  Turning out someone who can work past the grand prize magazine layout is no longer even on the agenda.

• Love 10

Reading the recap made me think that they should have a cycle where the handful of models who actually got work after the show (Fatima; Leila; Phil; Mollie-Sue; etc.) compete for a big cash prize. They can call it "ANTM 23: The Ones Who Got Away."

• Love 7

In the second photo of the recap, the girl with the violin standing behind Tyra is a dead ringer for Lucy Liu.   She'd probably score a modelling contract before any of the "contestants". 

Edited by leighdear

I just can't deal with Bello. Of course, I know this means he's a lock for the house, because he is horrible.

Hadassah is Kelle 2.0, right on down to the valley girl inflections. Hence, Tyra will likely torture her.

I also knew Nyle was in the minute they revealed he was deaf. I mean, he probably would make it anyway, because he is HOT, but there's no way Tyra is cutting a HOT guy with a hearing disability. He's a lock.

• Love 6

Is there any competition on TV for this show? Is The Face still going? Because I can imagine if there is any other show out there trying to produce models that they're of course doing it better, so Tyra has just decided to turn this into the exact opposite of legitimate and own that.

It's a shame since Top Model in other countries is really good. Australia got fricking Jean Paul Gaultier as a guest judge. We get, what? Bryan Boy?

• Love 8

OMG Reality Cowgirl! (I'll see you at the PR premiere!!!!!)

On a less positive note: ugh. I don't like the model with the ginormous fake breastseses, but I didn't like the way that guy picked on her, either. Also, Bello, just NO. I'm pretty sure he's there for dramahs. And the girl who has auditioned FIVE times and still didn't get picked this time? Please don't keep torturing yourself. Go to college or something. It's not like anyone that's ever won this has a stellar modeling career.

Whitney... what is there to say, but why?

Nyle FTW!!!!!

• Love 3

So here's the thing about Mikey: I *want* to hate him (and I really want to cut the raggedy ends off his hair) and yet, in his interviews, he walks right up to the line of off-puttingly cocky swagger but then knows when to turn it off and be straightforward. There's something genuine and warm hiding behind the facade. He can stay.

Stefano, on the other hand, has Nice Guy written all over him. Like, a million red flags. I had to start muting whenever he appeared onscreen.

• Love 1
I'm going to need to learn sign language so Nyle won't have to bring his interpreter on our honeymoon.

But what will Rusty say?!?!

So, Mike or "Mikey" has modeled with Karolina Kurkova and shot with Bruce Weber.  Why is he on this show?

Also, based on premiere party pics, the girl with the fake boobs may have gotten even bigger ones...

Edited by milkyaqua

Good heavens, that was horrid. (She types as she slinks off to wait for the Project Runway premiere...)

smoosh over, Reality Cowgirl, I'm right there with you. 

The minute I saw the short girl with buck teeth I knew she was in. Poor Tyra, its like she can't help herself. Every season, she picks one person (ok, I know that's all of them!) who does not have a snowball's chance in hell of ever having a modeling career. The closest that poor child is going to get to fashion is folding sweaters at the Gap. Jesus. 

Bello is going to continually suck all the air out of the room but I laughed like a hyena at his outrage over his "$200" crown. He's going to give Jade a run for her delusional money. Stefano wants to be the biggest jerk! Yay. His parents must be so proud. 

Sigh. Its great to have you back in all your trashy glory, ANTM!

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 9
Bello is going to continually suck all the air out of the room but I laughed like a hyena at his outrage over his "$200" crown. He's going to give Jade a run for her delusional money.

OMIGOD--I didn't read the bios--are there even any anymore (someone please advise) but it is possible that Bello, with his appearance, is also a BEAUTIFUL BI RACIAL BUTTERFLY!

• Love 1

I did enjoy the moment when one of the female contestants warned Mikey that Tyra would cut off all his hair in the makeover and he was all "what?  Why????"  You know she will.....

• Love 5

I'm gonna need to pick up a $25 crown and claim it's one of my prize possessions and then be shattered when someone touches it and it breaks.

Makeovers will be EPIC this cycle. I hope she shaves someone's head again…and gives one of the guys the peed-on-snow blonde.

• Love 4

The usual mix of stunning, average, pretty, quirky, unattractive, humble and conceited. And the girls that think big boobs are going to get them designer shows obviously know ZERO about the modeling business.  Big boobs don't work for the catwalk.  

I love Tyra's short hair.  I think it works for her.

And I am absolutely in love with Nyle.  Really nothing else to say.  *LOL*

The contestants are a more diverse group this time around, but they each have a script.

Every one of these contestants thinks of modeling only in the 'high fashion editorial/catwalk' sense and yet most of them don't have the bodies to do that type of modeling. A majority of them could carve out some sort of commercial modeling career though. There's a lot of information about which types of modeling are available online. All one has to do is use Google.

I don't get the contestants who get implants, then go try to model. I'm pretty sure that, for the most part, the modeling industry sort of frowns on that, unless you've already established yourself as a consistently working model. Plus, I'm thinking the model would want to discuss plastic surgery with his/her agent first.

Then again, I'm speaking as if ANTM churns out high fashion editorial models. ;-)

I love Tyra's hair short too, but now we won't see any more crazy wigs. I suppose there's always Miss J. I'm not sure how I feel about another season of Yu as the art director.

Nyle is GORGEOUS. I could get lost in his eyes.

Bello is this Cycle's Romeo.

And the girl who has auditioned FIVE times and still didn't get picked this time? Please don't keep torturing yourself. Go to college or something. It's not like anyone that's ever won this has a stellar modeling career.

I'd be embarrassed to admit that I auditioned for this show five times and was never selected. I mean, that takes talent.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

I'm not sure how I feel about another season of Yu as the art director.

I think he sucks as art director, and isn't that great of a photographer either.  He makes me miss Mr. Jay, and I wasn't sure that was even possible.

• Love 3

Y'all better be backing off Nyle. He's already spoken for. 

I haven't watched since All-Stars (so I've been kinda binging, for some dumb reason lol), but I stopped at Season 18. So No more Mr. Jay and Nigel, eh? I don't like Kelly, she bugs me.  I don't understand why Tyra is lowering the height requirement (because I would assume most models would have to be relatively... tall), but won't have a plus-size season or something. That would be a little bit more realistic?

[Oh also no more CoverGirl? boo I kinda liked that portion of the show]. 

I have to say. a lot of these people are ugly-looking. 

Bello, I can not deal with you

shortie who thinks he's God gift to women - you aren't. 

Girl who auditioned 5 times, It's probably your Harry Potter Wand turning them off

and Nyle.... you're so pretty. We're going to have such beautiful babies. 

• Love 3

Makeovers will be EPIC this cycle. I hope she shaves someone's head again…and gives one of the guys the peed-on-snow blonde.

YES. I'm betting Hadassah for the head shaving, because we all know how Tyra loves picking on pageant girls.

Edited by Nutjob
  • Love 4

But what will Rusty say?!?!

That's fine. I will just have secret affairs with both of them behind their backs. Which by the way is what they should have done with Paul on Days of Our Lives, but I digress.

Edited by rustyspigot
  • Love 1

Long gone are the days when ANTM was actually about legitimate modeling! This season has more crazies than ever and is proof that this show has gone way downhill, but I can't stop watching.

I cracked up with Bello and the drama over who broke his $200 crown. No way was it worth it that much and I don't believe his eyes are really that color either.

Nyle is my favorite so far. Not only is he the most attractive guy there, but he also seems to be the only sane one in the bunch.

• Love 4

ANTM, how I've missed you...I'm still your bitch, truly I am.

I've met plenty of genuinely blue-eyed folks (all but two of them white) and I have yet to see any with as intense a shade of blue as Bello's. Are iris transplants a thing? That baby photo didn't prove jack...I'mma need to see some of his people before I believe those are real. As drama-fied as he is, they'll probably keep him around long enough to grant my wish.

I'm hopping on the Nyle train also...but I'm bringing J-Smooth (Justin? the cute Asian guy) as well.

As for the girls...that one chick with the overbite and the dark roots is not only not pretty, she's downright homely. If I was that tall girl who got eliminated (and who was actually good-looking), I'd be scratching my head too.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for makeovers. I'm so sick and tired of seeing weave on these girls. None of them are standing out to me (aside from the homely girl) but if Tyra shaves their heads and/or gives them the Ice Queen Treatment, maybe one of them will pop out.

Speaking of Tyra and hair...I approve. Reminds me of the Halle Berry cut, which I and a lot of other black girls wore in the early 90s.

Edited by ExMathMajor
  • Love 4

Okay, how did this premiere manage to feel both ridiculously recycled and insulting to our intelligence, and yet also be so entertaining?

ANTM, you suck. And yet on some level we love you so much.

• Love 8

Nyle is my favorite so far. Not only is he the most attractive guy there, but he also seems to be the only sane one in the bunch.

Not to sound crass, but it's to Nyle's advantage that he's deaf so he doesn't have to listen to the bitching and drama that's going to happen throughout the competition.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 12

Did annoying LA Bible chick make it through???  I think her motto should really be "keep you mouth closed and your Bible to yourself".  And she was trying WAY too hard to appear cool.  Honey, the moment you refer to yourself as cool, you're not.

• Love 2

Guys, I love this show so much. It is so effing insanely stupid, and nowhere near an actual modeling competition, but I can't get enough.

I am with Tyra: Dustin is HOT! I hope he makes it far, just so I have some eye candy throughout this crazy, yet enjoyable train wreck.

• Love 2

Agreed.  I'm not sure what kind of competition it is, definitely not modelling.  Yet it is so much fun to watch!

Ha! I think the best part of watching show is being able to come here and make fun of it. It heightens the pleasure watching aspect.

Did annoying LA Bible chick make it through???  I think her motto should really be "keep you mouth closed and your Bible to yourself".  And she was trying WAY too hard to appear cool.  Honey, the moment you refer to yourself as cool, you're not.

I'm having a difficult time understanding how a native Angeleno would be that much of a bible beater. I'd be under the impression that folks out there aren't that hung up on religion.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3

I was afraid of running out of "likes," so I stopped giving them, but if your post is anywhere above this one, I liked it.  This is going to be a fun board - so much snark.

Didn't they already do a short cycle?  The one the really big-eyed girl (looked like a rabbit in many of her poses because she did the Whitney open mouth thing, but showed her teeth)?  The only difference is that this time there are also short guys.  Aren't guy models generally on the short-ish side - like 5'8" or 5'9" - they don't tower over the women and make them look short?

Every year Tyra has to cast one "stereotypical black girl" - the argues-with-everyone-over-the-most-inane-stuff, in-your-face, finger-waving, conceited type.  A few times this role has been filled by a white girl.  This cycle, it is Bello. 

If I recall correctly, Tyra once had one hamster's teeth fixed and, in a different season, had sent one girl to the dentist to have a gap put into her teeth.  I am wondering what is in store for the buck toothed girl.  I can see Tyra giving her braces and telling her to rock them, and I can see her saying that the teeth will be her trademark and telling her to rock the overbite. 

I wonder if some of the guys purposely grew their hair out so that the make-over would be to cut it off and then they don't have to worry about Tyra giving them a weave.

Disclaimer: I usually refer to females over 18 as women, but I figure anyone who thinks that this show will lead to fame, fortune, and a modeling career are not mature enough to be woman, hence, I call them girls. 

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 1

Count me in on the Nyle train (and added points for him because he's a local-to-me boy ... today's Washington Post had huge feature on front of style section ... https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/own-your-identity-the-first-deaf-contestant-on-americas-next-top-model/2015/08/07/6ef1d3b4-39f1-11e5-8e98-115a3cf7d7ae_story.html).

That said, I have a feeling J-Smooth may win this cycle. 

I am staying totally unspoiled but my money is on one of those two to win ... it ... all.

• Love 3

I wonder if some of the guys purposely grew their hair out so that the make-over would be to cut it off and then they don't have to worry about Tyra giving them a weave.

You know, I hadn't even considered that angle, but you might be onto something there.

Oh, and yeah, they had a short models Cycle. I believe that was the one Nicole won, correct?

PamelaMaeSnap- I'd be perfectly fine with Nyle and J-Smooth being the finalists this Cycle.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1

Bello is like Jade, Romeo, Cory, Furonda, Alasia, Angelea, and Dominique all combined into 1 person. In other words, he will make it into the house and probably get to the top 3.

So many shades of delusion this cycle! The muscular short guy is SO not all that. Devin is like a funhouse mirror version of Justin Guarini from American Idol season 1. If you are signed to 6 agencies worldwide but can't get any jobs, it is probably because you can't model!

Man, I hope Haddasah gets the shaved head makeover with the peed on snow blonde dye job! Mike will surely get his hair cut short. Can't wait for the makeovers! On a different note, Tyra does look good with her Halle Berry cut.

I hope social media doesn't return this cycle!

You know the budget is low when they have to ask the worst winner ever Whitney! to return and hype her up like she is a star alongside the Property Brothers. Maybe they will bring back Tootie and Naima as well to complete their trifecta of suck.

Nyle or J smooth for the win!

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 2