Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, boes said:

That's my most enduring unpopular opinion - I liked FrankenKyle.   

He was the least abhorrent of the Kyle's -- Not a bad actor, even with the dreck he was given (to be in lust with Dumber *JaBitch, Please!* and Phyllis throwing herself at him to end a possible cousin-fucking situation).

FrankenKyle was too mature for Dumber (GnomeoKyle was in the right age group and about as immature as Dumber). FrankenKyle loomed over the other actors he was working with, and tried to compensate by slouching; the bad posture caused him to jut out his already prominent chin, add with the standard set lighting, he more often than not looked ghoulish.

I think if TIIC had given FrankenKyle a No Dumber SL, there might have been a better outcome for the character.

Dumber is still the equivalent of Typhoid Mary -- She kills romantic relationships with short-timers and legacy characters.

• Love 10

The current Kyle is growing on me--with the right story he could work. The character as a whole has been really underserved over the years.

Slightly off topic, but related to Kyle: my significant other (who knows I loathe clothes shopping and have no sense of style) bought me some stuff at Bonobo's for an event we have coming up that's "dressy casual". He pulls out the short sleeved, navy button-up shirt with orchid floral accents on the pocket and sleeves and says "what do you think? Too Kyle Abbott??"

I think this is an unpopular opinion: Sharon's been looking good lately to me. Not sure what it is, I think maybe the less shiny make-up? 

• Love 11

So I have a ton of unpopular opinions.

I think the show is very well written right now - structurally - I am still ff-ing a lot but it is well done.  Hillary's death has been well used.  Very Bill Bell.   Same with the silly Summer / Billy et al plot.  It is being well used and stretched out a number of different ways.  Phyllis and Nick didn't just do it and then become a super couple and get married the next week... they Mae a mistake and it's got consequences and is playing out.   

I even like the unexpected evolution of Nick.

I think the actor playing Kyle has grown quickly into the part and is entertaining to watch.  

I guess after years I think the show has seldom been so technically together on a writing basis.  This is what an old school soap looks like.  I think it lacks a little magic, somehow, but it is proficient, believable (for a soap) and the details are integrated.  Summer being trustfundless and Nick buying her off... that's thinking.... not JFP or MAB randomness.  

Still, I think the format is doomed, so all the shows are and that is why the magic can't be recaptured.  The soap format is a very old lady and is quietly approaching the end of its life. 

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Big Blue Plate said:

I think the actor playing Kyle has grown quickly into the part and is entertaining to watch.  

I think he's still very frat boy but his overall acting doesn't grate like at the beginning. I wouldn't call him a good actor though.

I don't think the Mattie actress can act though everyone on here seems to like her. I'm not impressed by her looks either.

• Love 7

My UO is I like GT. And I like her version of Phyllis. MS was just insufferable and unbearable. I don’t like what (or who) Phyllis does, but she is entertaining to me.  I wish my mom would send me on a yacht to go off the grid for a few days.   

Also, I stand with Devon. 

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 4

Never thought I'd be saying this, but the actor playing Kyle was very good yesterday, in all his scenes, but particularly his scenes with Mariah.  I think she elevates every scene she's in anyway, but yesterday he was pretty good as well.

• Love 16
40 minutes ago, boes said:

Never thought I'd be saying this, but the actor playing Kyle was very good yesterday, in all his scenes, but particularly his scenes with Mariah.  I think she elevates every scene she's in anyway, but yesterday he was pretty good as well.

I'm getting a little closer to liking him but damn, I wish he would keep his shirt on.

• Love 10

I don't mind Arturo gaining family members and I don't consider it newbies taking away from vets.  All the vets had their time to shine when they were young and frontburner. It's time to let some of the newer younger set shine.  For some reason every time that starts to happen at Y&R some of the vets complain and we go right back to Nikki and Victor being front and center. If they want to be mad they should direct their anger at all the airtime Phyllis and Billy have been eating up.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Big Blue Plate said:

The only thing I can guess is they've got market research that shows Billy and Phyllis work.  Although I doubt they've got the money for market research so maybe it's just Mal's imagination.  

And a few dozen stans with a lot of free time. On some boards you see pro Philly things 50 pages long but only 2 people posting - It's like SO Digest polls that always list cane&lily and Lane as the favs.

• Love 13

I like the new set for Dark Horse. It looks more contemporary and modern.

I think that set will be reduced to just Nicks office as time goes on.  Remember we'll have to have living spaces for the all the new characters.

• Love 9

Can you imagine the rage and pain if PS was chewing up scenes and air time with whatever his name is that plays Billy that unhinges so many as it is?

UO:  Josh Morrow can actually act... and he's generally not bad... there's more to the guy than the lump of wood I previously imagined.  I'm not compelled to watch because of him or his story but when he's in front of me I am consistently surprised. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Big Blue Plate said:

UO:  Josh Morrow can actually act... and he's generally not bad... there's more to the guy than the lump of wood I previously imagined.  I'm not compelled to watch because of him or his story but when he's in front of me I am consistently surprised. 

That is a decidedly unpopular opinion, Big Blue.

; )

• Love 9
58 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, boy am I gonna get flamed for this but I cannot stand Traci. I find her to be incredibly naive, sanctimonious and boring. Go ahead and kill me.

You won't even feel a slight burn.  I like Traci but I stood in a tiny corner with ByTor in liking Dirty Tan Sofa Billy.

Now if you were to say you liked ButtBiscuit.......

Edited by boes
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, boes said:

You won't even feel a slight burn.  I like Traci but I stood in a tiny corner with ByTor in liking Dirty Tan Sofa Billy.

Now if you were to say you liked ButtBiscuit.......

Heavens forfend! I liked Tan Sofa Billy too. Way more than I'll ever like Nostrils McManspread.

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I liked Tan Sofa Billy too. Way more than I'll ever like Nostrils McManspread.

So did I. I thought Tan Sofa Billy was a good-looking guy and he certainly had a nice body. He might have been a little too old for the part but otherwise I thought he did very well in the role. He was a good actor and I always enjoyed his scenes with PB.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I cannot stand Traci. I find her to be incredibly naive, sanctimonious and boring. Go ahead and kill me.

I hate that I'm supposed to default-like Traci (and like her in the same way I'm supposed to like loud parades, rom coms and Chippendales -- Oh look, another hidden dick!)  I hate that the plus-sized blond (I am of the tribe, for the record) is "loveable" and "earnest" and "real". Why can't the fat chick be a stone-cold manipulating Queen Bee bitch? Why couldn't Tracy turn to "Ash" a few days ago and say "Excuse me sister -- you of the inappropriate workwear  -- I stand here (in an outfit vaguely reminiscent  of a seventies stewardess crossed with a nineties real estate agent) and say, "FIGHT ME FOR THE SOUL OF JABOT, MADAM!".

But in Y & R world, fat = self-abnegating and dull -- so fuck you, show (and that last part, I'm guessing, is not an unpopular opinion ; )

Edited by film noire
  • Love 16

Bravo @film noire so so so true. Traci is now a soft gooey marshmallow - super sweet and nothing else - plus if you consume too much ? .

Traci had edge. She and Ash used to clash big time. She and Lauren had a knock em out brawl where she gave as good as she got. She had reason to be bitter and deeply insecure and Bill Bell played on that (cheers to him for casting a chubby young woman in 1981/2 to play a contract role).

Now she’s a caricature. They won’t change things with her because this network (and others) think women have to be young and skinny to have appeal.

And yet appeal is something BM has in spades. She would be such a brilliant character if they wrote for her.

She is a great actress. And a beautiful woman. 

sigh

• Love 21
On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎12 at 12:05 PM, peacheslatour said:

Oh, boy am I gonna get flamed for this but I cannot stand Traci. I find her to be incredibly naive, sanctimonious and boring. Go ahead and kill me.

Hahaha @peacheslatour!

I do like Traci, but I agree that she is naive.  I was the most angry at her when she forgave Prick and allowed him to get Colleen's heart.

• Love 14
On 10/12/2018 at 3:36 PM, Desperately Random said:

So did I. I thought Tan Sofa Billy was a good-looking guy and he certainly had a nice body. He might have been a little too old for the part but otherwise I thought he did very well in the role. He was a good actor and I always enjoyed his scenes with PB.

I don't think this is unpopular, but I did not enjoy his scenes with Chelz, I hated those two as a couple.

• Love 7

I was almost done with Traci because of the way she refuses to condemn Victor for his treatment of her family, especially Jack. Now I'm pretty much over her because of the Abbott CEO thing.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
so confused
  • Love 7
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:17 AM, film noire said:

I hate that I'm supposed to default-like Traci (and like her in the same way I'm supposed to like loud parades, rom coms and Chippendales -- Oh look, another hidden dick!)  I hate that the plus-sized blond (I am of the tribe, for the record) is "loveable" and "earnest" and "real". Why can't the fat chick be a stone-cold manipulating Queen Bee bitch? Why couldn't Tracy turn to "Ash" a few days ago and say "Excuse me sister -- you of the inappropriate workwear  -- I stand here (in an outfit vaguely reminiscent  of a seventies stewardess crossed with a nineties real estate agent) and say, "FIGHT ME FOR THE SOUL OF JABOT, MADAM!".

But in Y & R world, fat = self-abnegating and dull -- so fuck you, show (and that last part, I'm guessing, is not an unpopular opinion ; )

I'd drop that "You....keep talking" GIF here, but I'm at work right now.

That's a very good point.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, ByTor said:

I don't think this is unpopular, but I did not enjoy his scenes with Chelz, I hated those two as a couple.

Me, neither. I was glad for his public dumping of her at the alter (I forgot why...didn't she cheat or him or something? I barely remember they were even a thing), cuz it meant they were finally kaput. Never should've been a thing after the whole "paid by victor to ruin Billy's life and keep him from his daughter" bit back when Billy had any soul worth saving.

• Love 4

Okay this is kind of jerky, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for Dina. Those flashbacks didn't evoke any sympathy from me towards her. Did she even like her kids back then?

It's like she left destruction and chaos to everyone around and still believes that showing up and saying "Sorry" is enough to clean up the mess she left behind. Her kids are dysfunctional messes with issues. She told Jack before she abandoned them to live her own life, to keep it a secret and he'll be fine and be the caretaker role. Who does that?

Also where's her spine and self-respect? So far it seems like Ashley and Jack are competing/resenting each other to see who mommy&daddy loves best and from the flashback of their childhood Traci is not a factor of concern with either parents. And the will? How come Traci is not a little bit hurt/resent that none of her parents were thinking of her? Are they making Traci into a doormat? I would have respected Traci more if she had reacted angrily to the will. "This is what Daddy would have wanted" is really embarrassing.

• Love 11

Hey, everybody!  I hope you are well.  Couldn't resist a couple of observations, but since mine usually run counter thought here was the place for 'em!

Overall, I am watching personally four or five days a week again but with a fair amount of FF.  After I faded from here,  I barely watched at all.   It was dull.  But overall, I feel like the show is better and more classically soapy.  It feels cheap but overall, I feel like it has a grove back.

GT better figure out her next move... because Phyllis the CEO is boring as a bag of hammers.  Same with Billy.  I FF those two the most. 

I think the Rosales have added to the show.  They're broadly integrated and the actors aren't bad.  Mia has Reva Shane written all over her... in that the character could be one of those epic creations that just takes off because she's semi outta control.  What a character!  She makes me laugh!  Please please please make her the next Mrs. Jack Abbott (because there will be at least ten before show is cancelled.)  Bergman has comedic ability.  They could be hilarious together. 

Love the actor playing Fen.  I think he's natural and gives Kyle a run for his money.   Michael (CL) needs to dial it down a bit... his Fen scolding is verging on camp.  Then again, Lauren looks like a drag queen so maybe they're taking the whole storyline someplace unexpected. 

Finally, Peter Bergman is 65 years old.  In great shape, but come on.  Another 30something for Jack?  It's hard to care about a relationship that would only happen if a gold digger was involved.  (which might be where they are going but a scientist as gold digger?) Otherwise, a twenty to twenty five year spread?  Oh, yeah, that happens all the time... The last credible relationship he had, imo, was with Emily Peterson, who was a woman, not a young woman (fifteen years age difference between the actors.   For Y&R, that's like born in the same year...) 

• Love 11
On 12/16/2018 at 8:52 AM, Big Blue Plate said:

The last credible relationship he had, imo, was with Emily Peterson, who was a woman, not a young woman (fifteen years age difference between the actors.   For Y&R, that's like born in the same year...) 

I'll go with Genie Francis (don't remember her character's name) as the last one that made sense age-wise.

• Love 6

I'm not minding Mia. In fact I say keep her instead of tossing her out a spare of Mal's regime and let her work her way onto GC Buzz as Mariah's co-host. She's hungry and having a show where she gets to play in the spotlight could be a good fit for her personality. 

I also originally saw her as a fit for Jack but if we want to pair her with someone more age appropriate-ish, Noah Newman  could work. Abby and Sharon would hate it, but Noah's calmer side would help balance Mia's intensity and Mia could help liven up Noah since he's always in the dumps. They're such an unexpected match it could work.

• Love 3

I'm allergic to Mia. To top this off, there I was shopping at a utilitarian supermarket [NoFrills--banana, Capricasix, miamama] because one can't be swank all the time. Just ahead of me, cutting me off in an aisle, is a dead ringer for Mia--made up all to hell [on a nothing Thursday mid-day no less], with the skin-tight black leggings, heels, and whatnot. She completed her cut-off with a sort of superior glare--I'm pretty innocuous to waste a glare on.

Two aisles on, she's shrying at her male companion about buying noodles--by which she meant ramen packages. This time, as I passed, her fragrance assailed me. It could have brought down a water buffalo, if there was one around.

I can't distinguish the character from the type, in Mia's case.

Edited by pearlite
  • Love 10
On 12/18/2018 at 12:25 PM, ByTor said:

I'll go with Genie Francis (don't remember her character's name) as the last one that made sense age-wise.

Genevieve. And I loved the idea of her and Jack but then the show decided that she and not Colin was evil incarnate and Jack turned on her for some reason and Genie bounced. Admittedly Jack was a little too quick to propose to her, but their brief courtship was a nice change of pace.

• Love 8