Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

So, I think I am sorry to see Mal go.  The show looked better and sharper visually.  They tried some stuff.   I honestly thought under Mal, more than not, they reasonably respected the characters but they also weren't boxed in.  I loved the Ashley exit.  It was outside the box.  (I don't think many liked it here.)   I'm delighted Lily is gone. I won't argue with anybody Philly sucked and I am glad it is over and I hope it stays over.  But I really like the Rosales.  At least they're new.  I think Kyle works and I think Fen works.  Otherwise, the show is so close to reverting to stale... they've all married or banged each other at least once.  It's incestuous and boring.  Does anybody truly want to see the restoration of the Victor Newman hour?  Or Viczilla crushes Aunt Jack?  Victor and Nikki split again?  Victor and Nikki remarry again?  Paul and Christine fuck up a case again?  And put us to sleep again?  I know the numbers continue to fall but I am not sure more of the same is going to save it because the numbers were falling back when it was more of the same.  It's only gotten worse but maybe the problem is, no matter, the show has run its course.  

• Love 3

I get what you are saying but Philly pissed me off to the point where I pretty much stopped watching. I like the Rosales (except Mia) and I agree Show had become incestuous. I want to see what a new regime will do before soaps are gone forever.

• Love 7

Mal also gave Mariah some great story.  I hope the new people don't sideline her, because CG is one of the best they have.  Mal did seem to recognize that.  And I never cared much about Devon, but I've been interested in him for the first time this past year or so.  I am uneasy about the new guy, if he's the one who killed Delia and turned Summer into an Abbott and Carmine into a psycho.  Those were not good days at all and I agree the show was better under Mal than it was then.  

• Love 3

I definitely think that visually the show was more interesting under Mal. I liked some of the camera angles and shots. I do like that they are using CG more as well. But I didn`t like him getting rid of core characters, most without so much as a goodbye. 

However, if the new guy is the one who killed off Delia, then I am apprehensive. Is it too much to ask to find a head writer who appreciates character and plot?

I know a lot of people were excited for Sally but I found her show boring. No plot, all characterization and dialogue, made me stopped recapping the show because it was so dull. Mal brought some excitement but also some stupidity, mainly Philly. 

I`m just scared to get my hopes up every time a new HW or showrunner is hired. I`ve been burned too many times. 

• Love 8
On 10/23/2018 at 10:50 PM, JasonCC said:

I like Lola.

I don't.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:22 PM, TobinAlbers said:

I'm not minding Mia. \

I like her a lot and think she has great potential as a troublemaker.. She could be a new Jill like character. 

• Love 2
On 12/27/2018 at 4:44 PM, TobinAlbers said:

Genevieve. And I loved the idea of her and Jack but then the show decided that she and not Colin was evil incarnate and Jack turned on her for some reason and Genie bounced. Admittedly Jack was a little too quick to propose to her, but their brief courtship was a nice change of pace.

Wasn't the RL reason for her exit due to her a beef with Jill "Women Age 40 & Older Need Not Apply" Phelps from back when GF was on OLTL (or whichever ABC show it was)? They hated each other and JFP made quick work of getting rid of her. 

4 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

While I think the method of removal was terrible and can completely empathize with the humiliation involved: is anyone really missing Paul Williams right now?

Paul Who? ;)

But.... yeah.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I dunno. I miss the ample humor material Paul’s nut strangling pants and inability to solve crimes provided. Sure, Rey’s come in hot with the incompetence, but his trousers seem properly tailored. 

Agreed.  

Old Tightpockets don't die, their ball sacs just wither and cry.  I think Shakespeter said that.... And it's just not the Tightpockets, we also no longer are reminded of the important place the Hair Club for Men has held in Show's life nigh these many years.

Besides, Christine is too much woman to be suddenly single and unleashed on an unsuspecting Genoa City.  Paulie is needed in the worst way.

Edited by boes
  • Love 10

I don’t miss Paul. I just thought a 40 year veteran deserved an exit story. Newbie Rey Rey showed up and poof! Paul disappeared. It was disrespectful to DD and long term viewers.

Either give DD two or three scenes a month to keep him happy (he was already dropped to recurring) or grow a backbone and kill his character off.

Mal was a lousy HW *and* EP. 

• Love 17
26 minutes ago, miamama said:

I don’t miss Paul. I just thought a 40 year veteran deserved an exit story. Newbie Rey Rey showed up and poof! Paul disappeared. It was disrespectful to DD and long term viewers.

Either give DD two or three scenes a month to keep him happy (he was already dropped to recurring) or grow a backbone and kill his character off.

Mal was a lousy HW *and* EP. 

Exactly!

• Love 6

Totally agreed about if you're going to kill off this legacy character (Paul)? GO BIG. He could have had a huge storyline---maybe one that tries to bring down Victor and fails,, have some scenes/flashbacks with Nikki, some flashbacks that are kind of putting the bookends on the entire Williams family run on the show.....Father Todd at the funeral, etc.

Edited by JasonCC
  • Love 10

Eve Longoria is still around, right? They could have had Isabella escape from the loony bin and come after him for killing Ricky. There would be stalking and shadows on the wall. Finally a big confrontation scene and she kills Tightpockets in a hail of gunfire and he falls off the Top of the Tower.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 11

Oh, so nobody misses the warm, tender scenes of Paul comforting his mentally fragile sister? I have fond memories of that little thrill of discomfort Paul and Patty brought to the table. The ham was never hammier, the pants never tighter. Good times.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Oh, so nobody misses the warm, tender scenes of Paul comforting his mentally fragile sister? I have fond memories of that little thrill of discomfort Paul and Patty brought to the table. The ham was never hammier, the pants never tighter. Good times.

Paulie and his sister Pattycakes, were so close, ohsoveryclose.  His obvious jealousy of "Mr. Kitty" wasn't pretty, however.

Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake Tightpockets man
Sharpen me a shiv as fast as you can

Pat it and prick it with peanut butter glee
Put it in the oven for Summer and me

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

My UO--retcon Marla Adam's Alzheimer's to be some long term reaction to a drug given to her by Graeme.  I know this a terrible thing to someone and their families who are dealing with this incurable disease, to give a soap opera miracle cure, but MA is so damn good I'd like to see her fully in action.  I thought this whole story line was one of the worst ones Mal came up with.  If it had been treated with respect and realism it would have been one thing.  and to be perfectly fair there were moments here and there that rang true, but his goal was ultimately to use it to embarrass and break up the Abbott family and punish Jack by losing Jabot.

• Love 16
26 minutes ago, Tippi said:

My UO--retcon Marla Adam's Alzheimer's to be some long term reaction to a drug given to her by Graeme.  I know this a terrible thing to someone and their families who are dealing with this incurable disease, to give a soap opera miracle cure, but MA is so damn good I'd like to see her fully in action.  I thought this whole story line was one of the worst ones Mal came up with.  If it had been treated with respect and realism it would have been one thing.  and to be perfectly fair there were moments here and there that rang true, but his goal was ultimately to use it to embarrass and break up the Abbott family and punish Jack by losing Jabot.

My dad is in the throes of Alzheimer's disease and to me it would feel like a relief. I can't explain why but it would. Watching Marla act out her scenes with her family, I feel like crying.

• Love 15
45 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My dad is in the throes of Alzheimer's disease and to me it would feel like a relief. I can't explain why but it would. Watching Marla act out her scenes with her family, I feel like crying.

Peacheslatour, that's bottom-fall-out-of-life hard, I know and I'm so sorry.  I get what you mean about how it would feel like a relief.  I wish it could be different for you and your dad, wish it could be different for all the preverts on here who've gone through it, will go through it, wish it could just be different than it is.

• Love 15
On 1/5/2019 at 6:08 PM, Tippi said:

My UO--retcon Marla Adam's Alzheimer's to be some long term reaction to a drug given to her by Graeme.

Not unpopular as far as I'm concerned, this is exactly what I'm hoping for.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, In2You said:

I dont miss Paul nor do I care about DD's feelings. 

He took to Twitter to make scathing comments about TPTB.  Even though what he said wasn't incorrect, I know if I did something like that my ass would be in the unemployment line.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

You know, I realize every soap needs a vixen so if I had to choose, I'd take Mia over Phyllis any time. I don't like Mia but we're not meant to like vixens. I actively hate Phyllis.

Yes she’s campy right? Like OG Phyllis was (I’m talking when she first came - back when she existed to give Cricket more story). Silly, OTT, but kind of, at times, oddly root worthy. (If only because she’d always be the outsider.)

Mia >> Phyllis

• Love 5
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

You know, I realize every soap needs a vixen so if I had to choose, I'd take Mia over Phyllis any time. I don't like Mia but we're not meant to like vixens. I actively hate Phyllis.

Which is the most appropriate response you can have, Peacheslatour!  

I'm not crazy about Mia but she's a head cold to Phyllis' Great Plague.  I assume she baptismal name is "Yersinia Pestis".

Now, if Mia were to somehow accidentally run Phyllis over on her way to Rexx Rugs I could really love her.....

• Love 13
14 hours ago, boes said:

Which is the most appropriate response you can have, Peacheslatour!  

I'm not crazy aMaybr Phick coulbout Mia but she's a head cold to Phyllis' Great Plague.  I assume she baptismal name is "Yersinia Pestis".

Now, if Mia were to somehow accidentally run Phyllis over on her way to Rexx Rugs I could really love her.....

Maybe Phick could take a little trip to Hawaii. I hear they have active volcanoes over there.....

• Love 9
On 1/5/2019 at 6:08 PM, Tippi said:

I'd write Abby saying that the giant bottle of supplements Graeme left finally ran out, She shows Jack and he has them tested. "OH Abby...wah-wah. Have you been poisoning Granma?"

• Love 10

I loved the scene between Victor and Katie in the hallway for three reasons: I think the new set for the Ranch is beautiful and a much needed upgrade. EB is always great with kids. There was feeling of spookiness which gave me a little tingle and that was fun for me. YMMV.

• Love 14
10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I loved the scene between Victor and Katie in the hallway for three reasons: I think the new set for the Ranch is beautiful and a much needed upgrade. EB is always great with kids. There was feeling of spookiness which gave me a little tingle and that was fun for me. YMMV.

I am a little confused by the new set, but granted, I don't watch that closely.  It looks to me like we have a living room but have lost the foyer where the piano was and the entry way and front door.  But have gained a hallway out of The Shining.

Agrre, @peacheslatour, EB is very good with the kid actors and you can tell he is totally adlibbing his way through the scenes as well.

• Love 7

Just going to revive, for the hell of it, my big ole UO. Posts about "who's surveilling Maison Newman, and who's behind them walls" brought this to mind.

I truly can't stand the last two Adams. MM [oh, I'm in the Dorothy Parker lounge all alone with this one I think] I loathe[d]. And bland uninteresting Justin Whatever, just as bad. Do I have to choose between self-aggrandizing and mind-numbing underwear-model blandness? How sad.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Just going to revive, for the hell of it, my big ole UO. Posts about "who's surveilling Maison Newman, and who's behind them walls" brought this to mind.

I truly can't stand the last two Adams. MM [oh, I'm in the Dorothy Parker lounge all alone with this one I think] I loathe[d]. And bland uninteresting Justin Whatever, just as bad. Do I have to choose between self-aggrandizing and mind-numbing underwear-model blandness? How sad.

You're not alone in that corner. MM, IMO, gave EB a run for the money in the smug department.  It didn't help that his Adam storylines were so despicable.  And then there's the other matter....

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, bannana said:

I think MM portrayed Adam perfectly.  JH was okay.  MM brought the darkness that was Adam.

I guess I'm the odd one out here but I think every actor that has played Adam has done a really good job with the role. I would love to see MM come back. He was great as Adam and did the best he could with some really horrible writing. I've always thought with better writing that the character of Adam could have been one of the best additions to the show. He was a Newman who wasn't raised by Victor and away from GC. That alone gave his character a very unique perspective and made for some very interesting family dynamics. None of which TIIC used to their advantage.

• Love 16
9 hours ago, Desperately Random said:

I guess I'm the odd one out here but I think every actor that has played Adam has done a really good job with the role. I would love to see MM come back. He was great as Adam and did the best he could with some really horrible writing. I've always thought with better writing that the character of Adam could have been one of the best additions to the show. He was a Newman who wasn't raised by Victor and away from GC. That alone gave his character a very unique perspective and made for some very interesting family dynamics. None of which TIIC used to their advantage.

ITA.  Adam is the only second generation Newman with the education, intelligence, focus and ruthlessness to run Newman Enterprises when gramps pops off.

• Love 12

I can't deny that I loved looking at JH as Adam and he was pretty good in the role (and my, how he's grown on This Is Us) but MM will always be my fave...and OMG, he was so great with SC. I would love to see MM's Adam and Sharon reunite.

ETA: I especially remember the New Orleans episodes and how I was so happy when Sharon ditched Nickduhlas for Adam and damn they were hot!

Edited by CountryGirl
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

I can't deny that I loved looking at JH as Adam and he was pretty good in the role (and my, how he's grown on This Is Us) but MM will always be my fave...and OMG, he was so great with SC. I would love to see MM's Adam and Sharon reunite.

ETA: I especially remember the New Orleans episodes and how I was so happy when Sharon ditched Nickduhlas for Adam and damn they were hot!

This is so true. They had chemistry that was off the charts hot and New Orleans was a fantastic backdrop for that.

• Love 9
On 2/4/2019 at 12:56 AM, Desperately Random said:

I guess I'm the odd one out here but I think every actor that has played Adam has done a really good job with the role. I would love to see MM come back.

I didn't mind MM in the role, but I grew to hate the cult of personality surrounding Munhey himself. It's 90 percent of the reason why I'm more than happy to let him stay dead.

Plus, considering all the sexual harassment shit going on at CBS that's being unearthed, I'm not entirely convinced that the groping story was a made up excuse for JFP to sack him and use his salary to pay her boy toy Steve. Do not want him back on that alone.

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 6
On 2/4/2019 at 3:56 AM, Desperately Random said:

I guess I'm the odd one out here but I think every actor that has played Adam has done a really good job with the role.

I agree with this, but IMO Chris Engen is the only one who I don't think would do a good job if he reprised the role, I don't see him being the mustache-twirler Adam was turned into (probably not unpopular).

• Love 6

I know the respectful thing would be to kill off the character of Neil, but that makes me so sad. I wish Neil would be written off of the show instead. That way I can pretend Neil, and KSJ, is still out there somewhere happy and full of life rather than the alternative.  I guess I'm just not ready to say goodbye. 

• Love 12