Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

While I don't remember much of Heather Tom in the role of Victoria, I liked what I've seen the past couple of days. I guess I sit alone at a table for one.

I also really like Ryan. But it's fine, I can drink alone. More for me anyway 😉

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, pearlite said:

It's getting to be a crowded picnic table here. I hope somebody makes a good potato salad!

Scott Reeves--mostly I can repress him, but seeing him on the other day's "classic" ep, I remembered how much I loathe his beady-eyed, non-reactive little self.

SR should walk around silent and shirtless, working on his tan.

; )

The alleged beefcake that made me wince was J. Eddie Peck as Cole Howard. Good looking, sure, but dull as dishwater. TIIC had Nicki, Victoria, Nina and Ashley go mental to get their hands on him, as he laid back and "thought of England." 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

The alleged beefcake that made me wince was J. Eddie Peck as Cole Howard. Good looking, sure, but dull as dishwater. TIIC had Nicki, Victoria, Nina and Ashley go mental to get their hands on him, as he laid back and "thought of England." 

Hmmm, that dull, dark-haired thing keeps on multiplying--one of its spin-offs is Galen Gering of DOOL. Dull don't begin.

• LOL 7
On 4/24/2020 at 11:41 AM, JasonCC said:

Maybe its not as unpopular as I thought? I like Theo too. I mean, maybe not "like" the character at all times....but I want him to stay on the canvas. He's pretty hot too--especially in the opening credits!

Count me in on the Theo love train!  I also think he is attractive.  But then again, I also think the current Chance is a hottie too, and I know that’s a major UO.  🤷🏻‍♀️

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I can't believe so many of you don't like Our Lady of the Perpetual Lemon Suckers.  Sacrilege!

(Ooopsy...I inadvertently used another nickname...I'm talking about Victoria #1/current Katie on B&B)

Edited by Snaporaz
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1

I like Theo, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually liked Summer when she was with him. I can't freaking stand her with Kyle, but I thought Theo was a good match for her.  Full disclosure:  about 85% of the guys in my life have been some variation on the theme of Theo.  What can I say?  I have a type and that type is kind of dirty!

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
On 4/25/2020 at 5:49 PM, peacheslatour said:

Buttbiscuit, Nostrils: Billy

Banana Breath/Boy: Nick

Olive Oyl, Mop: Victoria

Drinki: Nikki

Grampire, Prick, TGVN, The Mustache: Victor

Tight Pockets: Paul

Bug: Christine

Grifty/Gaspy: Chelsea

Chipmunk: Kevin

Dummer I think speaks for itself

I'm sure there are more.

I only have one I came up with MWT- Monkeys with Typewriters (Yeah, typewriters - I'm old) for the intreped writing/recycling staff.

Where I used to work I'd tell the younglings to fetch me a ream on typing paper and they would try to hide thier snickers

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, crowsworks said:

I only have one I came up with MWT- Monkeys with Typewriters (Yeah, typewriters - I'm old) for the intreped writing/recycling staff.

Where I used to work I'd tell the younglings to fetch me a ream on typing paper and they would try to hide thier snickers

Brilliant!

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I was not watching during the Cole era, but I was amazed that the stunning and sexy Victoria was with this guy.  And apparently was flirting/sexing it up with Ryan, her ex.  So for some reason she divorced Ryan and decided to be with Cole!?!?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Heather Tom Victoria always has a special spot for me because she was my first SORAS experience back in the day.....(oh, that sounds dirty) but I have to admit after a couple of Bold viewings I find Amerla Heinle more my Victoria now. Perhaps it's just habit, but I wouldn't want OG HT back at Y&R now. The character is played differently, sure, but if I'm remembering right Victoria was only 15 or 16 when they brought her back from Swiss Boarding School. I might not remember anything from High School Algebra but I remember the recast Heather Tom (presumably in her school in Switzerland) telling a day player (another teen girl, presumably her roomie?) as she packed she was going home to destroy her father's marriage to Ashley!

I didn't think much at the time but I think in our current era Victoria and Ryan would get a little more flack....was she 15 when she returned (often the only solid age we get post SORAS on a soap character? A 16th or 18th bday to reset shortly after a SORAS recast..then age is never mentioned for 40+ years!) and he was over 21 right?  

• Love 8
19 hours ago, bannana said:

I was not watching during the Cole era, but I was amazed that the stunning and sexy Victoria was with this guy.  And apparently was flirting/sexing it up with Ryan, her ex.  So for some reason she divorced Ryan and decided to be with Cole!?!?

And Cole was her almost brother!  How many times has Y&R flirted with incest stories?

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

And Cole was her almost brother!  How many times has Y&R flirted with incest stories?

Yes, this! I was curious about Eve Howard, the crazy lady who wanted to kill Nikki on her wedding day and looked up her character, I was shocked to find out she was Cole's mother. And, that she had tried to convince Victor that he was Cole's father. And then both Nikki and Victoria slept with him?! What?!

• LOL 8
  • Love 5

You know, I often forget how much Nikki "gets around"........I just always think of her as the long suffering woman who puts up with Victor and likes to give women, mainly Sharon & Jill, a load of crap.  She's had her fair share of dalliances, no?

And to think -  she's accused Sharon of being "trash"! 

Newmans gonna Newman!!  (Sorry - I loved that line from Mariah!)

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
On 4/24/2020 at 9:41 AM, JasonCC said:

I mean, even Theo haters have to admit HE IS BETTER THAN CANE!

I mean...you're not wrong, but I still hate doing that 😛

On 4/25/2020 at 1:45 PM, babyhouseman said:

I remember my mother or grandmother said Heather Tom looked terrible when she cried.

I hope neither of them watch B&B. HT gets her fill of crying as perpetually mopey Katie Logan who been done wrong by everyone in the world 

But I gotta say as someone who initially wasn't on board with AH as Victoria that yeah, it's time to make like Elsa and let it go. AH has been in the role longer than HT at this point and once the writers stopped with her art school manic pixie dream girl BS and put her back at Newman, I can accept it. Now if only she would use a hairbrush more than once a week!

On 4/25/2020 at 1:06 PM, LucindaWalsh said:

Not really a true UO but I have a lot of trouble with the nicknames and have no idea who is who when they are used.

I was around for when Darvon was created for Devon but I still don't understand that one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
On 4/27/2020 at 10:42 PM, jewel21 said:

And then both Nikki and Victoria slept with him?! What?!

Nikki and Victoria share at least three exes between him, Brad and Deacon Sharpe. I want to say there was another one in there too.

And the writers were even setting up for Jack/Victoria shortly after AH was brought on before EB interfered there. His motivations for that aside, I can't say I'm sad we never saw that onscreen. Too many shades of Shictor.

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

Nikki and Victoria share at least three exes between him, Brad and Deacon Sharpe. I want to say there was another one in there too.

And the writers were even setting up for Jack/Victoria shortly after AH was brought on before EB interfered there. His motivations for that aside, I can't say I'm sad we never saw that onscreen. Too many shades of Shictor.

Do you know what his motivations were?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I think someone mentioned in the poofed daily thread ages ago that it was something to do with his ego or feeling upstaged. It could have just been plain old spite as he and PB have never been close and nearly came to blows on set in the 90s.

I definitely hope the excuse he used wasn't "impropriety" because I'm pretty sure he was the one who pushed for that Shictor story and that would be absolutely hilarious hypocrisy.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

Do you know what his motivations were?

No evidence to support it but I've always thought it was at AH's behest. She was too new to be trying to throw her weight around to protest a pending storyline so maybe she spoke to EB and he got it squashed. At this point there's so much romantic history between Jack and Nikki that I doubt they'd try to go there now even if they made Victoria the pursuer.

Something kinda similar happened with Lily's paternity originally. Apparently key members of the Black cast were uncomfortable with what happened between Dru and Malcolm and didn't want a Winters child conceived that way. (At the time the Winters et al were considered soap opera standard bearers by many POC.) Those cast members went to Bill Bell and he subsequently stopped the possibility of Malcolm being Lily's father dead in its tracks. The issue was never really revisited until after Bill Bell had passed. Then the revived story turned into some kind of afternoon special type thing about fatherhood by simple virtue of DNA versus years of actual practice. Neil was left looking like a hero for still considering Lily his daughter instead of his niece.

(And darned if Brad Bell didn't pull some similar shite on B&B. The audience wasn't having it though and he had to do a hasty retcon which still managed to be in the offending man's favor. Ugh.)

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Something kinda similar happened with Lily's paternity originally. Apparently key members of the Black cast were uncomfortable with what happened between Dru and Malcolm and didn't want a Winters child conceived that way. (At the time the Winters et al were considered soap opera standard bearers by many POC.) Those cast members went to Bill Bell and he subsequently stopped the possibility of Malcolm being Lily's father dead in its tracks.

In that instance, I can understand that. I was just talking about this with some fandom friends about how there so much more pressure on minorities to provide "perfect" rep and be all things to all people. I remember Butterfly McQueen from Gone With the Wind getting flack for her potrayal of her portrayal there, never mind that that had the movie been filmed five years sooner, that role (horribly hackneyed as it is now) would have gone to a woman in blackface.

There's a lot I could get into on the white gaze minorities in general in communities of color and the damage done to us as a result, but I'm headed to work as I type this. Suffice it to say black rarely get seen as good minorities (someone in this or another thread pointed out both Bell soaps have done a LOT of hard luck, poor ignorant blacks getting saved by good white folks stories) so I don't blame the actors for having a talk with Bell Sr about the optics of doing this particular story for *this* particular triangle.

I wish someone had done the same for the Lily cancer story that removed her ability to reproduce with anyone who wasn't Cane. 😒

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 11
On 5/2/2020 at 5:41 PM, Anna Yolei said:

I was around for when Darvon was created for Devon but I still don't understand that one.

Darvon is a narcotic pain medication which makes includes sedation as one of it’s many side effects. It was pulled for causing fatal heart problems. 

Devon is usually quiet and laid back so he gets called Darvon. Ta-da! 

• Useful 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Darvon is a narcotic pain medication which makes includes sedation as one of it’s many side effects. It was pulled for causing fatal heart problems. 

Yep, plus his laconic delivery of his lines tends to lull one into a catatonic state.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1
On 5/2/2020 at 4:41 PM, Anna Yolei said:

12 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

It is just that simple. 

Darvon originally was a more dynamic character as a bratty, semi-criminal street urchin, than the milquetoast billionaire that can be finagled out of his inheritance on insufficient evidence. With his billions returned (by little action of his own), he's now Philanthropist Wallet To The Poor and Downtrodden of Genoa City. <snore>

The street urchin, on his own, would have fulfilled his dramatic purpose plaguing the Winters clan and written off years ago by TIIC. But by being salvaged by the upper-middle class Winters family, Darvon was socialized and made palatable to the white viewing base that were the Bell's bread and butter. His bona fides were written in stone by finding out he was Tucker McCall's son and grandson to Katherine Chancellor. Inheriting the majority share of the Chancellor estate was frosting on the cake.

Darvon is a cork in the river, swept along by the currents written for him. Primarily a reactor to the events in his life, his major Consequences Be Damned Plot Plot Plot was his affair with Hillary 1.0 while she was married to Neil. That had devastating outcomes for the Winters family, Christine and Paul (Neil's Rexx Rugs drunken hit and run), ending with Hillary 1.0's death and Lily going to prison. 

Darvon had been retreating from his Come Hell or Hi Hillary 1.0! behavior to become the handy doormat Hillary 2.0 wiped her feet. And then Darvon forgives her for taking his money by fraud, not holding her responsible for the expected due diligence a top of her class lawyer would perform researching the anonymous person who hired her to steal Darvon's billions. This sets Darvon up for further adventures being taken advantage by Hillary 2.0. 

What a schmuck.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

not holding her responsible for the expected due diligence a top of her class lawyer would perform researching the anonymous person who hired her to steal Darvon's billions.

and yet he sent his own sister to prison to pay for her crimes.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/3/2020 at 4:55 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Something kinda similar happened with Lily's paternity originally. Apparently key members of the Black cast were uncomfortable with what happened between Dru and Malcolm and didn't want a Winters child conceived that way. (At the time the Winters et al were considered soap opera standard bearers by many POC.) Those cast members went to Bill Bell and he subsequently stopped the possibility of Malcolm being Lily's father dead in its tracks. The issue was never really revisited until after Bill Bell had passed. Then the revived story turned into some kind of afternoon special type thing about fatherhood by simple virtue of DNA versus years of actual practice. Neil was left looking like a hero for still considering Lily his daughter instead of his niece.

^^This^^ right here is why I will never return to Y&R in spite of enjoying these older episodes. In a rare soap opera move, Bill Bell openly made a pact with his audience that together we would collectively forget what happened between Dru and Malcolm. In the land of soaps, where long forgotten characters/plots can be resurrected at any time, this was viewers trusting Bill Bell meant it and he kept his promise.  The show broke that promise after his death, and I still haven't forgiven them for it. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, MollyB said:

and yet he sent his own sister to prison to pay for her crimes.

Darvon threatened to do just that, but Lily voluntarily turned herself in after Cane was busy manipulating the Pixie Twins into lying to protect her -- She couldn't let that go on.

Darvon blew up in haste when told all the facts in the car accident, then simmered in anger (justifiably): He had been talked down and had time to think it through. The dramatic endgame of the court scene is that Darvon is still in turmoil and the viewer doesn't know what Darvon will say -- He testifies for leniency in sentencing Lily.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 4/26/2020 at 2:38 AM, jewel21 said:

I also really like Ryan. But it's fine, I can drink alone. More for me anyway 😉

Scott Reeves was pretty easy on the eyes, so I can understand the like for Ryan.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 5/4/2020 at 8:40 PM, Cupid Stunt said:

It is just that simple. 

Darvon originally was a more dynamic character as a bratty, semi-criminal street urchin, than the milquetoast billionaire that can be finagled out of his inheritance on insufficient evidence. With his billions returned (by little action of his own), he's now Philanthropist Wallet To The Poor and Downtrodden of Genoa City. <snore>

The street urchin, on his own, would have fulfilled his dramatic purpose plaguing the Winters clan and written off years ago by TIIC. But by being salvaged by the upper-middle class Winters family, Darvon was socialized and made palatable to the white viewing base that were the Bell's bread and butter. His bona fides were written in stone by finding out he was Tucker McCall's son and grandson to Katherine Chancellor. Inheriting the majority share of the Chancellor estate was frosting on the cake.

Darvon is a cork in the river, swept along by the currents written for him. Primarily a reactor to the events in his life, his major Consequences Be Damned Plot Plot Plot was his affair with Hillary 1.0 while she was married to Neil. That had devastating outcomes for the Winters family, Christine and Paul (Neil's Rexx Rugs drunken hit and run), ending with Hillary 1.0's death and Lily going to prison. 

Darvon had been retreating from his Come Hell or Hi Hillary 1.0! behavior to become the handy doormat Hillary 2.0 wiped her feet. And then Darvon forgives her for taking his money by fraud, not holding her responsible for the expected due diligence a top of her class lawyer would perform researching the anonymous person who hired her to steal Darvon's billions. This sets Darvon up for further adventures being taken advantage by Hillary 2.0. 

What a schmuck.

The way you described h.makes him sound like an even lamer character than Liam Spencer, and that is truly some talent to pull off!

I never heard of the medicine Darvon, but it really does fit. You're right though--for years between his adoption and the time he inherited Kay's money, it seemed like the writers had no idea what to do with him. Usually he was on the sidelines interjecting in the rest of the family drama and he was deaf for 6 months or something and....that was it. For years, I wanted him gone.

Nowadays, he does have some moments, like when he dressed Adam down like an adult a while ago. But still, that took almost two decades to get here. He seems to be the closest thing to a white hat in the show but yeah. Could be better.

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 5/5/2020 at 8:57 AM, MissAlmond said:

^^This^^ right here is why I will never return to Y&R in spite of enjoying these older episodes. In a rare soap opera move, Bill Bell openly made a pact with his audience that together we would collectively forget what happened between Dru and Malcolm. In the land of soaps, where long forgotten characters/plots can be resurrected at any time, this was viewers trusting Bill Bell meant it and he kept his promise.  The show broke that promise after his death, and I still haven't forgiven them for it. 

Wow! That makes that story even worse! 

Well, I'm glad that Bill Bell respected his fans enough to put that shit to rest, even if the asshole who dug up that story didn't. This whole genre needs to be rebooted 😐

also explains a lot about Victoria Roswell's post-departure behavior, too.

• Love 7
On 4/26/2020 at 11:01 PM, crowsworks said:

There are a couple others that come to mind-

Syphyllis and The Red Menace. 

I think we all know who that is. Yes?

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

My favourite Victoria has always been Ashley Nicole Millan, who played her for the first 8 years.  When she was only ~2, her eyes showed knowing concern when Nikki was reading her a fairy tale about a wicked stepmother, emphasizing words that made her sound like Victor's beloved Ashley. She was a better actor than AH.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

I'm not really enjoying Victoria's "Victor Newman" turn on her character to make her tougher or ruthless. It feel vengeance based. I get she's trying to overcome the last year but she's coming off just as insanely entitled to her rage like Adam. She's not being empowered from being a victim, she's being just as much as a bully. Both Adam and VIctoria blame what happened to them to justify being an a-hole. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm sitting here, at my table for one, and I am loving Victoria's hair. It's wild and leonine. Makes her look like a Business Warrior Woman.

Never alone, peaches! I've always loved her hair.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It's so thick and healthy. I love it. Let the others wear their hair in all those overly styled and colored dos. Leave Vic alone, she has her own style.

When they first returned in August (Sept?) I thought her hair looked frizzy and weird.  It looks WAY better now.  And even when it looked “bad,” it was still better than the stringy haired red head.

I thought Lauren’s hair looked beautiful today, too.

• Love 7
On 11/8/2020 at 3:03 PM, LucindaWalsh said:

And if Devon shows up again without shaving that scraggly thirty hair beard off his cheek I am calling HR and complaining. 

I hate that stupid patchy scruff on his face. If you can't grown in a beard, then don't. I sometimes refer to him as pubic face when no one is around. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

I think adding Theo was a waste of time. I mean he could have been a great foil trying to scheme himself into the Abbott fortune BUT they're writing him in a weak whiny way. I don't think he's doing a good job at portraying his "villain" role and if the show is trying to make him look sympathetic, he's not doing that good a job at that either.

I mean why did they add him to the show as a permanent addition with ties to one of the main families on the show? He seemed like a last minute add on and he never really bonded with Deena and when she was dying he didn't seem overly affected by the news. The show is trying to act like he was hurt when he seemed to ooze and didn't seem interested to getting to know Tracy/Ashley/Abby. I mean Ashley offered a job for him and he brushed it off.  His character seems too lazy. He doesn't actively plot and scheme to make him interesting. Why bother? What are the odds that the pen has more value than he realized.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, redfish said:

I think adding Theo was a waste of time. I mean he could have been a great foil trying to scheme himself into the Abbott fortune BUT they're writing him in a weak whiny way. I don't think he's doing a good job at portraying his "villain" role and if the show is trying to make him look sympathetic, he's not doing that good a job at that either.

I mean why did they add him to the show as a permanent addition with ties to one of the main families on the show? He seemed like a last minute add on and he never really bonded with Deena and when she was dying he didn't seem overly affected by the news. The show is trying to act like he was hurt when he seemed to ooze and didn't seem interested to getting to know Tracy/Ashley/Abby. I mean Ashley offered a job for him and he brushed it off.  His character seems too lazy. He doesn't actively plot and scheme to make him interesting. Why bother? What are the odds that the pen has more value than he realized.

They hinted like mad that he had a dark secret with Kyle. I wish he'd take the offer and drop a huge truth bom on Kyle. Maybe they had an affair or Kyle has a kid he dumped.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, crowsworks said:

They hinted like mad that he had a dark secret with Kyle. I wish he'd take the offer and drop a huge truth bom on Kyle. Maybe they had an affair or Kyle has a kid he dumped.

Remember that "dark secret" turned out to be an underaged girl who got wasted at one of their parties who, when they found her unconscious, they then dumped her at an NYC Emergency Room.  Theo then crashed Kyle and Lola's wedding with the girl in tow.  She hung around for awhile but nothing much came of it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

^Yes, Theo and Kyle were like the Tobin and Squee of NYC.  That girl did end up drugging everyone at the Grand Sphincter's launch party.  

I forgot all about that.  Phyllis sure runs one top notch joint!

• LOL 5

Ha. Knowing Young & The Restless I wouldn't be surprised.But wouldn't that make them kissing cousins then?

What dark secret? That he was so cut throat he tried to backstab Ashley and Billy from running Jabot? That's already revealed. And it was already revealed they allowed an underaged girl drink at their parties and she almost died and they had to drive her to the hospital and Kyle was stuck staying at the hospital and paid off her and her father so that they wouldn't press charges. Then Theo brought that girl to Lola/Kyle's wedding. I think maybe Theo's beef is that Kyle acts like he can walk away from being the club kid. If Theo had dirt he would have used it by now on Summer and Lola. He played all his aces when he should have used a 2.

Edited by redfish
  • Love 6