Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, AnnieBananie said:

I am so embarrassed, but I am EVERY. PERSON. in the airport. Getting there hours early? Check. Laughing at people who run to their gate? Check. Asking when my group will board? Check. Those commercials hit home! I'm just over 40 and... yeah, they're me.

I felt like that person the other day when I questioned why we hadn't received our paper tickets for the upcoming football season.  Yeah, they've gone mobile.  But... but... what if my phone dies???

• Love 9
17 hours ago, AnnieBananie said:

I am so embarrassed, but I am EVERY. PERSON. in the airport. Getting there hours early? Check. Laughing at people who run to their gate? Check. Asking when my group will board? Check. Those commercials hit home! I'm just over 40 and... yeah, they're me.

I don't ask when my group will board, but why wouldn't you want to get their early?  You can't really be too early, but two minutes too late is too late.  I also print out my boarding pass onto paper.

• Love 7

Sometimes those people running through the airport are trying to make a connection.  And it isn't necessarily because they didn't plan accordingly, but because their first flight was late, and the gates were at opposite ends of the airport.  Yep, and I got to the second gate two minutes late and they would not open it.  They did reschedule me for the next flight at no charge, though, since it wasn't my fault.

But I do generally try to get to the airport early enough to have time to charge electronics, use the bathroom, fill my reusable water bottle, and yes, have some of the tasty snacks I brought with me, Dr. Rick.

• Love 11

I finally got a cell phone, but it's a little flip phone that doesn't access the internet.  Should I suddenly decide to fly off somewhere, how will I prove I have a seat on the plane?

• Love 4
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I still probably would have a flip phone if my DH hadn't gotten a 2 for 1 deal at T-Mobile.

I guess we'll all be in the next Progressive "Don't be like your parents" commercial with Dr. Rick tossing our flip phones in the trash can.

• LOL 4

There are few commercials I bother looking up to watch. One is the Geico “scoop there it is” ad because of the awesome daughter. Another is the commercial with the gorgeous Paralympic swimmer. The latest is this ad Usain Bolt because the way he motions with his eyes cracks me up.

• Love 6

There are two new (to me at least) ads for Mass Mutual that crack me up:

The grandpa chiming in from the other room kills me. Polio! Scurvy!

I love that each kid has a very different issue happening, clearly.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 5

I'm not sure if this is a local commercial or not, but it's from the guy who owns Cambridge Pavers. He runs a lot of commercials on my local News 12 in the morning. They're pretty cheesy, but the one I like is the one where he's going through all the different ways to set up an outdoor area and talks about a homeowner's desires/wishes for the outdoor space. What impresses me is when he says, "You don't have to do it all at once," and I think: how refreshing not to give into the immediate gratification that is so prevalent in society today. (I can't find a link to it.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

While I can’t stand the Geico commercial with Mikayla Maroney, they do have two that are my favourites right now.  They are both old at this point but I love “Scoop there it is” (particularly the way the mom gets into the dance) and the “Aunt problem”.  Especially the aunt who is looking through the fridge saying “expired!  Expired!  Expired!”   Because everyone has (or should have) an aunt (or mom) who does that.

• LOL 7
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Especially the aunt who is looking through the fridge saying “expired!  Expired!  Expired!”   Because everyone has (or should have) an aunt (or mom) who does that.

Being, or being influenced by, someone who regards those arbitrary "best by" dates as "expiration" dates is a part of why we in the U.S. waste nearly 40 million tons of edible food per year despite dozens of millions of people here going hungry.  I'm overall amused by the "ant/aunt problem" commercial, but there's nothing funny about that one aspect of it given the real-world consequences of falsely rejecting food as "expired" - meaning unsafe to consume - based on a date rather than its actual condition.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Being, or being influenced by, someone who regards those arbitrary "best by" dates as "expiration" dates is a part of why we in the U.S. waste nearly 40 million tons of edible food per year despite dozens of millions of people here going hungry.  I'm overall amused by the "ant/aunt problem" commercial, but there's nothing funny about that one aspect of it given the real-world consequences of falsely rejecting food as "expired" - meaning unsafe to consume - based on a date rather than its actual condition.

I get what you are saying.  I think the commercial itself was making fun of the aunt who thinks everything is expired, and it seems to be a very relatable situation.  At least in my household, my mom tends to comment on expired food in my fridge when she comes over to visit, and I almost never take her suggestion to throw out the food.  I agree that the expiration date is, in most cases, just a guideline.  I think milk and yogurt can be consumed for days after their expiration date and I am sure I have some condiments like mustard that have been in my refrigerator for years.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 11
On 8/5/2021 at 2:04 PM, Zahdii said:

I finally got a cell phone, but it's a little flip phone that doesn't access the internet.  Should I suddenly decide to fly off somewhere, how will I prove I have a seat on the plane?

is it a jitterbug phone with big numbers on the key pads? 

• LOL 3
7 hours ago, Nicmar said:

is it a jitterbug phone with big numbers on the key pads? 

No.  It's just a little Alcatel flip phone.  But I think this is supposed to go to Small Talk

• Love 2
On 8/10/2021 at 9:32 AM, blackwing said:

I get what you are saying.  I think the commercial itself was making fun of the aunt who thinks everything is expired, and it seems to be a very relatable situation.  At least in my household, my mom tends to comment on expired food in my fridge when she comes over to visit, and I almost never take her suggestion to throw out the food.  I agree that the expiration date is, in most cases, just a guideline.  I think milk and yogurt can be consumed for days after their expiration date and I am sure I have some condiments like mustard that have been in my refrigerator for years.

That seems to be the case. In the last six months only one milk went bad right after the expiration date. Usually it last up to a week. Same with yogurt. Shredded cheese seems to last a couple months past expiration date. Eggs usually three or four weeks past. We always check them before eating but its very rare that they've gone bad.  

• Love 3

There's a new Publix commercial with the song with the lyric "everyone is beautiful" that i just love, but I seem to love most of their commercials.  The ones at Thanksgiving always make me tear up.

• Love 3

I love the Publix ads because they're not so "in your face" about who they are. I saw one about birthdays that didn't even mention Publix; it just had their "P" logo at the end. If you didn't notice the subtle product placement in the ad, you wouldn't know what the hell the ad was for until you saw the logo.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I love the Publix ads because they're not so "in your face" about who they are. I saw one about birthdays that didn't even mention Publix; it just had their "P" logo at the end. If you didn't notice the subtle product placement in the ad, you wouldn't know what the hell the ad was for until you saw the logo.

I don't think we have any Publix here but their ads sound nice.

• Love 1
On 8/5/2021 at 7:40 AM, Haleth said:

I felt like that person the other day when I questioned why we hadn't received our paper tickets for the upcoming football season.  Yeah, they've gone mobile.  But... but... what if my phone dies???

Some of us don't have smart phones.  So yes, damn it, I want a paper ticket.  And I'm not paying airport prices for snacks I can get cheaper at the grocery store.

This particular commercial annoys me, even though I like the series in general, specifically because of the snack part.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 8/5/2021 at 3:04 PM, Zahdii said:

I don't have a Smartphone either.  I either check in from my laptop and print out my boarding pass or I check in at the self check in kiosk at the airport and it prints out a boarding pass for you.  True, I haven't flown since before Covid, but I've doubt they've gotten rid of the check in stations.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

This particular commercial annoys me, even though I like the series in general, specifically because of the snack part.

This ad would be more true in the old days when you actually got fed ( for no extra cost) on a flight.  Nowadays it really makes sense to bring food.  I also print out maps for where I;m driving if I haven't been there before (a point in another of these ads).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

True, I haven't flown since before Covid, but I've doubt they've gotten rid of the check in stations.

The self check-in stations were all turned off when I was in the airport in July.

2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The self check-in stations were all turned off when I was in the airport in July.

Then how do you check in?  They must have agents doing it who will also hand you a boarding pass.

1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Then how do you check in?  They must have agents doing it who will also hand you a boarding pass.

Yep.  Everyone had to queue at the check-in desk, whether you were checking a bag or not, and get a paper boarding pass.  Just like the olden days before there were such things as electronic boarding passes or self-check-in.

This is going to sound really weird but one of the things that helped keep my spirits up during the darkest days of the pandemic of 2020 and beyond was the Latin boogaloo singer in the Corona seltzer commercial. I like it like that, indeed.

• Love 3

My favorite commercial is the Alexa one where the guy is ironing while watching TV and there is a GOT or LOTR show on, and he asks the actors can they do the death scene again, he missed it. 

The actress' name is Lucy Scott-Smith. I wish she were in real shows, Her expressions are spot-on.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

My favorite commercial is the Alexa one where the guy is ironing while watching TV and there is a GOT or LOTR show on, and he asks the actors can they do the death scene again, he missed it. 

The actress' name is Lucy Scott-Smith. I wish she were in real shows, Her expressions are spot-on.

I love that one!  Especially when the "dead" actor makes the wiping his expression gesture.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I love that one too! Especially because I do that all the time. Miss something because I was looking at my phone or computer or whatever, go back a bit, and then miss it again because I immediately looked back down.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I love her expressions too, the way she immediately goes from wailing to "yes?" when the ironing guy interrupts her.  But can anyone make out the line the dying elf says?  There is so much going on I cannot hear what he says, all three times.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I love her expressions too, the way she immediately goes from wailing to "yes?" when the ironing guy interrupts her.  But can anyone make out the line the dying elf says?  There is so much going on I cannot hear what he says, all three times.

The dying man is saying "Ti ho sempre amata, mia cara.  Non I'ho mai detto ma sto morendo."

It's Italian, I guess.  Google translates it to "I've always loved you, my dear. I never said that but I'm dying."

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

The dying man is saying "Ti ho sempre amata, mia cara.  Non I'ho mai detto ma sto morendo."

It's Italian, I guess.  Google translates it to "I've always loved you, my dear. I never said that but I'm dying."

Well, that explains why I couldn’t understand him!  🤣 Thanks!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 8/17/2021 at 4:02 PM, TVMovieBuff said:

I get annoyed at the guy, though.  I keep telling him to stop ironing long enough to watch Finrod die, but he never listens to me.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
On 5/9/2021 at 7:25 PM, Emma9 said:

I haven't seen this one on tv yet, but:

I have mixed feelings. One one hand, it's adorable and the sentiment is very true to life (I say this as an introvert whose office never shut down and whose boyfriend has been her bubble from day one, and it still rings true); on the other, maybe I like it so much because it's a representation of what I wish the 'end' of the pandemic would look like (EVERY restriction becomes unnecessary for EVERYONE at a specific and obvious time, and we're all too relieved to care about awkwardness, we just stampede for the door in delirious happiness and commence hugging strangers) rather than what will actually be/is already being the case (a slow drift back towards routine as staggered groups wait out their vaccinations, with the novelty wearing off for some long before others - especially parents - can even know when they'll feel safe).

I think it's horrible.  Who leaps out of bed and chews gum rather than brushing their teeth?

21 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I think it's horrible.  Who leaps out of bed and chews gum rather than brushing their teeth?

*raises hand* In my defense, my husband loves to snuggle some mornings and I grab a stick of spearmint Extra while I'm in the loo before I come back to bed. *hangs head in shame*

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

*raises hand* In my defense, my husband loves to snuggle some mornings and I grab a stick of spearmint Extra while I'm in the loo before I come back to bed. *hangs head in shame*

Okay, I'm still trying to understand this from the point of view of a non-gum chewer from a non-gum chewing nation, and sorry if this is getting too graphic/personal, but do you chew while you snuggle?  What if you kiss?  Do people kiss while chewing gum?  😁

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Leeds said:

Okay, I'm still trying to understand this from the point of view of a non-gum chewer from a non-gum chewing nation, and sorry if this is getting too graphic/personal, but do you chew while you snuggle?  What if you kiss?  Do people kiss while chewing gum?  😁

Taking to Small Talk.

Edited by peacheslatour
On 8/10/2021 at 12:17 AM, blackwing said:

While I can’t stand the Geico commercial with Mikayla Maroney, they do have two that are my favourites right now.  They are both old at this point but I love “Scoop there it is” (particularly the way the mom gets into the dance) and the “Aunt problem”.  Especially the aunt who is looking through the fridge saying “expired!  Expired!  Expired!”   Because everyone has (or should have) an aunt (or mom) who does that.

I particularly love that "Scoop, there it is" commercial. The look on the teenage girl's face is priceless. And I love how the parents get into the song. Yes, I am old.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

I particularly love that "Scoop, there it is" commercial. The look on the teenage girl's face is priceless. And I love how the parents get into the song. Yes, I am old.

I'm old too, but these ads with off-key singing are very difficult for me to listen to.

• Love 1