Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

56 minutes ago, topanga said:

That’s Dikembe Mutombo. He was known in the NBA for blocking shots, and he did all of the things he does in the commercial: wagging his finger, the “Uh-uh-uh, not today,” and laughing when he blocked a shot. I love that commercial. My favorite part is when he knocks down the G in Geico. 

That's my second favorite; my favorite block is in the laundromat. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

It's the 'untraceable' that has me intrigued...................

Most Flip phones do not have GPS.  It can be traced by triangulation, but not GPS.  It's the tracking thing that I appreciate.

https://jabryant92.wordpress.com/2015/03/13/untraceable-a-flip-phone-story/

3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I have no idea why it quoted twice.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Most Flip phones do not have GPS.  It can be traced by triangulation, but not GPS. 

I have a flip phone.  I got it a few years ago when my health was so bad that I was afraid to get too far from the house phone in case I fell when no one else was around.  I kept it in the walker bag so it was always near me, and cancelled the house phone.  I didn't want an expensive cell phone in case I damaged it, and I didn't care about being able to access the internet, play games on it, or whatever else the fancy phones do.  

It never occurred to me that my cheap flip phone prevented me from being traced.  I can walk independently now, but still stick close to home and don't go out alone.  If I start a life of crime, I guess having a flip phone is good.  Pretty sure that's not going to happen.  If for some reason I get kidnapped, people are aware I've been kidnapped, and my phone isn't taken from me so it can be traced, that's bad.  I'm willing to take that chance.

As for sending texts, yes, the constant jabbing at the phone to spell out words is annoying.  The people I frequently text are aware that I'll take longer to reply, and if it gets to be too much of a bother, they can just call me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I like the ad for Kohler (?) where they show a dog going through his daily adventures outside and getting dirty, followed by happily having it all washed off in the shower as "More Today Than Yesterday" plays.  (Even though the song ends up stuck in my head most of the day after the ad airs.)

ETA:  It's actually for Delta faucets.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Correction.
  • Love 11

I was getting caught up on the thread of commercials we hate and I had to come in here and also declare my love for Dikembe Mutombo and his Geico ad, because whoo-boy he is not getting very much love over there.

He’s just so happy in blocking your weak shit it makes me smile too.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was getting caught up on the thread of commercials we hate and I had to come in here and also declare my love for Dikembe Mutombo and his Geico ad, because whoo-boy he is not getting very much love over there.

That's my favorite Geico ad - well, next to Hump Day! My favorite part is when the swats the cereal box in the supermarket and it explodes.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, Moose135 said:

That's my favorite Geico ad - well, next to Hump Day! My favorite part is when the swats the cereal box in the supermarket and it explodes.

I dislike that one the most. I can see that poor kid getting in trouble for making a mess but I dislike all of them. I see how it is supposed to be funny  but to me he comes across as rude and a bully.

• Love 7

My new favorite commercial is for some kind of exercise bike* that let's you simulate riding fast on curvy roads by leaning from side to side.  The best part of the commercial is when the guy on the bike starts leaning back and forth, his neighbors are watching and start leaning with him.

*It's too bad that I never am aware of what is actually being advertised.

• LOL 5
On 4/15/2021 at 4:32 PM, mojoween said:

Heh well it was sportssplained to me, so now i see the tie in to his game.  I guess that's how he plays.  Shrug.a wins a win lol.  In conclusion, i still hate it.  But just not as much. 

• Love 1

Re the Progressive ad where the customer has a claim and the gang all drop what they're doing and rush to the accident site. Flo is dressed like Flo, Jamie is in cap and gown like he was giving a speech at a graduation, Mara was either at a prom or was a bridesmaid and I don't know the other guy's name, but he was fly fishing. I just caught Mara's little comment at the end, she mutters under her breath, not so softly, "you smell like fish." The fly fisher guy says, "sorry." She replies, "not you, Jamie." or "I was talking to/about Jamie." or close to one of those. Cracks me up. 

And I will join the flip phone discussion on Small Talk.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I think this is the thread where we were discussing how much some of us love the GEICO "Build Me Up, Buttercup" ad and then someone complained about the woman getting the "girly song" when the guys got "Wild Thing."  I just saw another "Build Me Up, Buttercup" ad with guys in it, so it's not just the girly song. This one's the dude who puts down the white chalk lines in the baseball stadium and instead of the straight lines, he's wandered all over the place, pretending he's on a motocycle.

• Love 15
20 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think this is the thread where we were discussing how much some of us love the GEICO "Build Me Up, Buttercup" ad and then someone complained about the woman getting the "girly song" when the guys got "Wild Thing."  I just saw another "Build Me Up, Buttercup" ad with guys in it, so it's not just the girly song. This one's the dude who puts down the white chalk lines in the baseball stadium and instead of the straight lines, he's wandered all over the place, pretending he's on a motocycle.

I don't mind the chalk lines ad, but what elevates it for me is when at the end, the guy doing the lines says "do you think anyone will notice?" and the other guy says "Yes!".  I like how he says 'yes'.

I figured I'd add the commercial so you could see for yourselves:

Edited by cynicat
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Re the Progressive ad where the customer has a claim and the gang all drop what they're doing and rush to the accident site. Flo is dressed like Flo, Jamie is in cap and gown like he was giving a speech at a graduation, Mara was either at a prom or was a bridesmaid and I don't know the other guy's name, but he was fly fishing. I just caught Mara's little comment at the end, she mutters under her breath, not so softly, "you smell like fish." The fly fisher guy says, "sorry." She replies, "not you, Jamie." or "I was talking to/about Jamie." or close to one of those. Cracks me up. 

And I will join the flip phone discussion on Small Talk.

Flo is Flo, but she left her bowling league to assist.  She still has on her bowling shoes.  And Jamie is not just wearing any cap and gown, his robes show he has a doctorate in something.  I love the progression of Jamie over the years.  He goes from "sprinkles are for winners" to being a rather accomplished man with a great circle of friends and a lovely family.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Flo is Flo, but she left her bowling league to assist.  She still has on her bowling shoes.  And Jamie is not just wearing any cap and gown, his robes show he has a doctorate in something.  I love the progression of Jamie over the years.  He goes from "sprinkles are for winners" to being a rather accomplished man with a great circle of friends and a lovely family.

He also is an International Man Of Mystery.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

He also practices muay thai (completely different skill set from karate) and is a lawyer only licensed in Stockholm.

• LOL 11
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Obviously, I do not watch closely enough. Actually, I do very little watching. I mostly listen.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Obviously, I do not watch closely enough. Actually, I do very little watching. I mostly listen.

I usually don't watch either.  It plays enough that I have looked up at my phone or tablet and seen Flo outfitted in her bowling attire. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I still laugh at the one where he shows his vacation photos.  

• Love 10
18 hours ago, LexieLily said:

He also practices muay thai (completely different skill set from karate) and is a lawyer only licensed in Stockholm.

And he rides in cars with people to get the safe driving discount!  This is one of my fav commercials with Jamie in it...."well that came out of nowhere."

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, nokat said:

I like the Subaru ad where the dogs pull up to the park with a sign that says no pets and leave the cat in the car pawing at the window. 

I'm a cat person, so that one does not work for me.  That commercial is tailor-made for dog people who view their dogs as more than a pet.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm a cat person, so that one does not work for me.  That commercial is tailor-made for dog people who view their dogs as more than a pet.  

I'm a cat person too, and fair enough if you don't like it.

• Love 3

It works for me, because the puppy, and the cat are kind of waving at each other.   Also, the cat better have a litter box in the car, so kitty doesn't need the bathroom.   The dogs don't really need bathrooms either, but it was funny to see the dogs ignore the "No Pets" sign. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, nokat said:

I like the Subaru ad where the dogs pull up to the park with a sign that says no pets and leave the cat in the car pawing at the window. 

I just think "that cat could get out with the window open that far" and "don't leave a pet in the car, damn it".

• Love 10
14 hours ago, nokat said:

It left me wondering whether a family of dogs would want a cat as a pet.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 4/22/2021 at 7:59 PM, janie jones said:

Or why a cat would allow himself to be kept as a pet by dogs. Unless it’s some fiendish plot to take over the world...

• LOL 9
59 minutes ago, Haleth said:
On 4/22/2021 at 8:59 PM, janie jones said:

Or why a cat would allow himself to be kept as a pet by dogs. Unless it’s some fiendish plot to take over the world...

I guess I'll have to pay attention next time that one comes on.  I thought the cat was in a different car from the dog family's.  Still weird though, either way.

• Love 3

The Subaru dog family/cat commercial just played.   The cat is definitely in the same car, because after the puppy, and cat wave paws at each other, the cat is sitting in the driver's window, looking at the rest area.     So the cat is the dog family's pet.     I guess it goes with some of their other commercials with the dogs family, like the one where they go bowling.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I've never seen that Dunkacino ad. I know he's not hard up for money; he must have thought this was a funny thing to do. He looks like he's having fun. And he looks VERY much like his dad, Sal.

My mom had that Richard Simmons Silver Foxes exercise tape - 6 parents of celebrities like Jackie Stallone, Farrah Fawcett's mom, Dustin Hoffman's dad, and Sal Pacino.  Harry Hoffman looked like a sweet old man; Sal looked like a guy who thought he was still a player. LOL.

I converted it to DVD and got it out the other day. I am SO out of shape, I got winded during the warm up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Not exactly a favorite, but we have no category for commercials that amuse. I've been watching Law and Order on WE most of the day. They been running ads with scenes from the show, with the dialog changed. One is something about Covid, I don't really pay attention. But saw some new ones today for Criminal Minds that are hilarious. I can't remember most of the ad, but several times they have Shemar Mppre saying something about you'll see him posing pretty and then he says something about you'll see me like this, and they put up a scene with him shirtless and he says, aren't I pretty. I really have no idea what is said in any of the rest of the ad, but I do stop to watch him posing shirtless and yes, he does bring the pretty.

• Love 5

Yeah, the Law & Order and Criminal Minds voice over ads are funny! The L&O guys arguing over who was in the most shows and the new ones with "It's Corona Virus! And oh my Shemar is such a pretty boy! They are hilarious ads but one may miss the point if you haven't watched the shows to death...

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Not exactly a favorite, but we have no category for commercials that amuse. I've been watching Law and Order on WE most of the day. They been running ads with scenes from the show, with the dialog changed. One is something about Covid, I don't really pay attention. But saw some new ones today for Criminal Minds that are hilarious. I can't remember most of the ad, but several times they have Shemar Mppre saying something about you'll see him posing pretty and then he says something about you'll see me like this, and they put up a scene with him shirtless and he says, aren't I pretty. I really have no idea what is said in any of the rest of the ad, but I do stop to watch him posing shirtless and yes, he does bring the pretty.

Is it this one?  Bad Lip Reading on WEtv - Shemar   Love it!

Here are two from L&O

Edited by cynicat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

Yes, I've seen those lip-reading "Criminal Minds" ones, too :D! They're hilarious. I wonder who came up with that idea, 'cause it's a fun type of ad.

And agreed on Shemar Moore's attractiveness. Definitely one of the major reasons to tune into that show over the years :D. 

• Love 5

11 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I was watching WE also and saw the Criminal Minds ad for the first time.  They really nailed that one featuring Shemar Moore the way they did.  He's very easy on the eyes.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

As I read this, I've got the ION channel on - L&O with Fontana and Greene.  ION doesn't have amusing commercials with voice-overs.

It wasn't with voiceovers, but ION did do one for Blue Bloods where it used various clips to make it look like the Donny Wahlberg character was hunting down the Easter bunny. I thought it was cute but my husband thought it was ridiculous. (If I'd seen it more times than I did, I might have gotten sick of it, though.)

• LOL 2
On 12/27/2019 at 11:17 AM, Zahdii said:

He also says that although he's had approximately 200 sexual partners since his diagnosis, he insists he told each of them he was HIV positive, yet he's being sued by several women who say they didn't know that and are now angry that they were exposed

I don't buy the premise that the responsibility in these cases is all on him. Women need to be proactive in protecting themselves, and refuse to have unprotected sex with anyone, no matter what they are told.

• Love 2