Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E14: Finale Results: Two-Hour Finale

• Start Topic

He is like Mark Ballas X10.

Heh, him and Charlotte.

I don't think Len would be coming back next spring since he made such a point of it being his "very last" 10.  Shame on the show for not doing more to say good-bye!

• Love 5

Pairing Amy and Noah seemed... well IDK the word.

Ignorant? Exploitive? It's sort of like - let's have the black dancers dance together, or gay dancers....pairing up by minority group. Embarrassing.

• Love 8

I was OK with the results.  As the parent of a child with disabilities I was impressed with Noah.  I love it when people push themselves to do more than even they thought possible.  But, in the end, this is a dance competition and through no fault of his own he just can't move smoothly or do a lot of the steps.  I do think Sharna did a great job of choreographing him. 

I had never heard of Riker before this show, and the first week I really disliked him (I think it was the hair).  But over the weeks he impressed me with how hard he worked and his dancing skills.  I would have been OK with him winning.

Rumer was good from the start, but you could tell she was trying to improve herself.  She deserved the win.  And it was fun seeing her parents just being parents, showing their anxiety and pride.

• Love 7
(edited)

I was going to post that I hated that lip reading segment and wished that they did a tribute for Len instead.  I see that others already posted the same thing.

I'm happy with the results.  Their instant dance also showed IMHO that the placings were correct.  Noah didn't move that much in his.  I forgot to mention in yesterdays Finals post that I did enjoy his freestyle more than Riker's.  Rumer's was my favorite.  It was the girl's singing that ruined Noah's freestyle for me.  Sharna's choreography was outstanding and Noah performed it well.  But for the instant dance, he had to do certain requirements for the assigned dances and understandably he can't.  So that's why I was relieved that he was third.  After that announcement, then I knew that a good dancer would win.  If the producers are going to push for another pro to win, I hope it's Sharna.  She can do a beautiful freestyle and fun disco for Noah, a crazy jazz routine for Andy and the very skilled Mary Poppins dance for Charlie.  I didn't care that Len gave Charlie a 10 even when he dropped the cane.  That dance was tough.

Riker is a good dancer.  He's enjoyable to watch because he puts that extra flair in his dances that Alfonso and Corbin also did.  He has great musicality.  He can keep up with Allison's fast choreography.  One thing that I noticed about Allison is that you have to keep up with her.  When she's an All-Star on SYTYCD, she doesn't dumb down for the contestant even if contemporary or jazz is not their specialty.  Her husband, Twitch, OTOH always dances to his partner's level to a certain extent.  The reason why I think Riker should be second showed in their quickstep.  It was not good.  I will hand it to Riker because Allison danced so aggresively that when she put her legs around his neck, I think she actually hit him on the head.  But he kept going.

Rumer's and Val's instant dance was clean with very good technique.  She is also a good performer.  That's why I'm happy they won.  I like Val's partnerships with Zendaya and Rumer the best.  There were no showmances in either one so I hope that he doesn't go that route again.  It was fun to see Demi and Rumer's sisters so happy and jumping around.  Then it cracked me up that Bruce was calm with just a proud parent smile. 

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 5
(edited)

I'm glad that Rumer and Val won.  It seems to me that the fix is always in every year for Hough and Ballas. so anytime anyone other than those two win is a good season as far as I'm concerned.  Those two always seem to get paired with the young, perhaps-not-ballroom-trained-but-clearly-has-an-advantage female like Nastia Liukin, Kristi Yamaguchi, or Nicole Scherzinger.  Why have they never gotten the older past-her-prime female with two left feet that Tony Dovolani always gets saddled with?

It was so great to see Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, two big movie stars, just being there as parents to support their daughter.  They looked so proud.

I think it'd be fun to see Demi appear on the show.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 6

This is random, but can we retire that move where they put their thumbs in the imaginary beltloops and alternate shoulders up and down? It rivals  the flexed foot bicycle move for annoying for me.

Ha, my daughter has been doing that move all day to hilarious results. She thought it was the funniest part of Riker's freestyle. She can also do a pretty good imitation of the platforms almost flying apart. We noticed on re-watching that a glittered panel of one of the platforms breaks off and has to be tossed to the side on Monday's night's dance. Hee!

I like Val's partnerships with Zendaya and Rumer the best.  There were no showmances in either one so I hope that he doesn't go that route again.  It was fun to see Demi and Rumer's sisters so happy and jumping around.  Then it cracked me up that Bruce was calm with just a proud parent smile. 

The fact that all three finalists had a great connection with their partners WITHOUT a showmance should be definitive proof that you don't need it to win this show. Maybe those can be retired for good. 

• Love 10

I am glad that DANCE won. I've always been about the dancing, I don't like the extraneous bullshit this show likes to drag around. It's not about who is going to get married, it's not about the Emmy. The best dancer won, and that's gratifying for fans of dance.  

• Love 17

I was reading last night that Alfonso got approached about the AFV gig several months ago ,that ABC approached the producers about him replacing Tom shortly after his mirrorball win and Tom was on board right away so it explains a little why he's been kept so visible and pimped so heavily, hes part of the ABC family now.

Heh, him and Charlotte.

I don't think Len would be coming back next spring since he made such a point of it being his "very last" 10.  Shame on the show for not doing more to say good-bye!

Yes this bothered me so much.  With all the filler they used last night they could have easily given Len at the very least a farewell montage or something.  Hearing that it was his "very last 10" felt so final and sad.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm glad that Rumer and Val won.  It seems to me that the fix is always in every year for Hough and Ballas. so anytime anyone other than those two don't win is a good season as far as I'm concerned.  Those two always seem to get paired with the young, perhaps-not-ballroom-trained-but-clearly-has-an-advantage female like Nastia Liukin, Kristi Yamaguchi, or Nicole Scherzinger.  Why have they never gotten the older past-her-prime female with two left feet that Tony Dovolani always gets saddled with?

I think "older" is not the only criteria for a partner being challenging. Mark has had his share of very tough assignments, I would argue. Kim Kardashian. Bristol Palin. Twice. IMO that's up there with Kate Gosselin as perhaps one of the worst celeb partners ever. Yet the work he did with her in season 11 was astonishing for me. She was untalented, unmotivated, whiny, had no work ethic and was probably forced by her mother into it. He was patient with her to a point that...I really don't know how he did it. And her dancing was somehow not the catastrophe it could have been, it wasn't good by any means, but somewhat bearable.

Candace was not an easy partner at all, yet he made it work despite her limitations and nerves. Sadie came with massive family interference and limited talent, he made it work. Willow had talent, but she was also 14, which brought a lot of restrictions with it. Yet he made it work. I would say after Katherine Jenkins, he never had a super capable celeb in the Nastia Liukin, Zendaya, Rumer vein. He's not leading man material for the producers. He's "mad scientist guy". He's "babysitter guy". Val and Derek are the leading men on this show and so they get the contenders for the most part.

Edited by katha
  • Love 5

I was reading last night that Alfonso got approached about the AFV gig several months ago ,that ABC approached the producers about him replacing Tom shortly after his mirrorball win

I can't believe that show's still on. LOL.

Frankly, as much as I like Alfonso, I don't think anyone will be as good a host as Tom. He's got just the right combination of genuineness and snark. 

I may have cried a little bit during Patti's singing. I've heard her concerts are a powerful experience.

• Love 1
I'm glad that Rumer and Val won.  It seems to me that the fix is always in every year for Hough and Ballas. so anytime anyone other than those two win is a good season as far as I'm concerned.  Those two always seem to get paired with the young, perhaps-not-ballroom-trained-but-clearly-has-an-advantage female like Nastia Liukin, Kristi Yamaguchi, or Nicole Scherzinger.  Why have they never gotten the older past-her-prime female with two left feet that Tony Dovolani always gets saddled with?

Please.  The last few seasons the fix has been in for Val.  When's the last time he got an "older" contestant or at least someone without dance experience?  Most of his partners have been ringers.  But since all of the hard work to get that boy a win finally worked out for them, I wonder if they're going to continue to cater to him?

• Love 2

Why didn't Michael Sam get an encore dance? There was mention of Peta being injured by another poster but surely they could have worked something out. I spent the first hour thinking he'd skipped the finale altogether because I didn't even see him until the group number with Patti.

I wonder if maybe the reason they didn't have some kind of send-off for Len was because the producers are still trying to negotiate something with him. Maybe he's been saying "No, this is my last season" but it's not quite official yet.

I've never heard of Sia before, but watching that Hough number made me think it was something designed to be awesome to watch when you're stoned. Especially with the singer standing in the window with a wig covering half her face. It was just . . . Pink Floyd The Wall kind of weird.

There were so many shots of Bruce Willis it occurred to me how awesome it would be if Rumer lost, and then Bruce pulled out two huge guns and starting blowing everyone away. (Seriously.)

I noticed when everyone was swarming around Val and Rumer, Tony looked at the camera and held up three fingers for "3" - maybe a signal that he, Val and Maks have now collectively won three trophies. I guess maybe they consider themselves a team.

During the subway number with Derek and Nastia, there was a point where the cameraman deliberately tried to keep Derek in frame to the exclusion of Nastia herself. Kind of shows they know who the big star on this show is.

Seeing Redfoo again made me glad all over that assclown was eliminated first. 

• Love 2

I'm happy Rumer won. Once Willow was out, she got all my votes. 

Was Michael Sam the only celeb who didn't get an encore? I thought I must have missed it.

Hated the Sia dance. HATED! I'm not familiar with her work or issues, and wasn't paying attention to the lyrics to see if the dance fit the story, but there was so much violence! A perfect example why I don't like Contemporary. It's always violence and/or angst. Even the happier ones are overwrought happiness.

• Love 5

I finally figured out why Rumer and Val did not "move" me. I cannot remember one of their dances...they all looked the same to me. Oh, I remember that she danced well in  them, and I can remember her costumes, but the dance itself...NO. I did not go back and watch any of her dances because they were dull to my eye. Good dancing but the only memorable thing for me was when she was balanced on Val in the Black Swan. I have rewatched several of Riker's dances just because they were "fun filled" even if they were frantic. And I can't remember how many times I have watched Nastia, Sasha and Derek on the train. I love the song and the fun that was in that dance. I also have rewatched the trio dance over and over. That for me was what was missing from the Finale...there were no memorable dances and I missed that. Riker and Allison's fusion dance was the closest they came and that was actually after the fact.This was a most forgettable Finale which I almost didn't watch but I wanted to see Derek and Julianne dance. For that and the train ride dance, I am glad I did watch.

Tony looked at the camera and held up three fingers for "3" - maybe a signal that he, Val and Maks have now collectively won three trophies. I guess maybe they consider themselves a team.

In a way they are a team.

They are partners in a group of east coast dance studios.  Dance with Me.  

Now they have three (3) mirror ball trophies for the branding of their business.

http://dancewithmeusa.com/about/ 

• Love 1

I finally figured out why Rumer and Val did not "move" me. I cannot remember one of their dances...they all looked the same to me. Oh, I remember that she danced well in  them, and I can remember her costumes, but the dance itself...NO. I did not go back and watch any of her dances because they were dull to my eye.

I think one of the ones that stands out the most to me is the dance they did to "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps..." She was wearing that gorgeous red dress, the choreography and music were wonderfully sensual, and both she and Val were really sexy together, really seemed to pull out some interesting emotions throughout the dance. I loved that one. Like the Black Swan dance, it's a performance I won't forget.

What's interesting to me is that everyone's dances become a blur after a while but as soon as I see their costume, I usually remember the dance and what I liked or didn't like about it.

LOL. I just read Kim's recap/review, and I think she summed up very well Sia's performance and the Houghs dancing together:

As with most dances set to Sia songs, I have no idea what the everloving fuck is going on here, and it makes me feel uncomfortable, but I can't look away.

That's exactly it.

• Love 3

Please.  The last few seasons the fix has been in for Val.  When's the last time he got an "older" contestant or at least someone without dance experience?  Most of his partners have been ringers.  But since all of the hard work to get that boy a win finally worked out for them, I wonder if they're going to continue to cater to him?

If it's taken them this long to put the fix in, they're not very good at their jobs.

• Love 18
(edited)

What I really loved about Rumer and Val's fusion performance (and all their final performances) is just how much fun they seemed to be having. It's like they made a pact to just go out there and cut loose and let everything else fall away. Their big grins throughout the dancing were so infectious and adorable and fun.

That's one of the things I like about watching this show. When two dancing partners seem to be having an amazing time together, and they're really getting into the dance (either emotionally, or dramatically, or comically/having FUN), it makes me want to get up and join them. It makes me want to learn how to dance. It's inspiring.

Watching Riker do the pirate paso or his party trio, watching Rumer and Val do the "Perhaps" dance or grin through their final dances, watching Alfonso and Witney tap-dance, or Corbin and Karina do the Michael Jackson-inspired freestyle, or Amber's freestyle, or Bethany's "I love who I am" dance, or just anything where they're having a great time or making an emotional impact... those performances stick with me. I like that.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 11

Julianne on the Sia dance: http://juliannehough.com/my-favorite-moment-dancing-with-the-stars-finale/

Just because we’re family and we’re expected to always love each other, that doesn’t mean it isn’t hard at times. So for us, this was a chance to show how we dealt with this when we were kids versus how we deal today as adults. As children, we can tease each other one minute then quickly move forward to playing together. Whereas today we build up so many walls that in the end we’re really just fighting against ourselves.

The dance was a representation of going back to our childhood and identifying those moments. The younger dancers Emma and Joey represented the younger versions of us. Every time we would interact with them, it symbolized Derek and I trying to reconnect with our childhood selves.

The destruction we created in the room wasn’t out of anger or frustration, it was out of carefree fun. A reminder that as adults we can still have fun!

I can't say this makes the most (any?) sense, or that any of that came across, but I loved the dance anyway. At this point, I just expect Sia dances to be strange, but weirdly compelling. 

(edited)

I definitely understood that the kids were the representation of Julianne and Derek, and at the beginning I could kind of see the sibling rivalry tone (where you definitely feel sometimes that even though you love your brother or sister, sometimes they still drive you completely crazy)... but I didn't see the destruction part as playful or "carefree fun." It felt more like they were angry with each other and like they were trying to hurt one another beyond the standard sibling teasing and pushing, and that's where I felt the dance kind of went off message and I got confused and a little uncomfortable. It seemed less "let's jump on the beds and go crazy because Mom and Dad aren't home" and much more "I want to strangle/kill you and smash everything around me."

Regardless, like Kim said, it was amazing to watch them dance together, though. I would like to see them perform together again. 

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2
(edited)
Pairing Amy and Noah seemed... well IDK the word.

Ignorant? Exploitive? It's sort of like - let's have the black dancers dance together, or gay dancers....pairing up by minority group. Embarrassing.

Yes and yes. I just didn't know how to word it. I was even trying to give TPTB a pass in saying "Well they've paired a previous runner up with the current runner up"  but they wouldn't have known that at that time. Or rather wouldn't want to give it away/spoil it. Or maybe I meant third place, but still.... they presumably wouldn't have tipped their hat early on that news either. But yes to what you said. I can't imagine the outrage in the media had they paired, for example, two gay people and ...well you made my point better than I did. :)

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1
(edited)

When waiting for Tom to announce the winner, Val looked closer to vomiting than anyone ever has on this show. I'm happy for him and collaterally happy for Rumer, who I otherwise don't care about at all. She was the best dancer this season, but I enjoyed watching Riker more, so either outcome would have been okay with me.

I will miss the dancing crabs and shark. ETA: and Len.

Congratulations to Alfonso and his new job on AFV. And congrats to me for learning AFV is still on the air. Seriously, I thought that was cancelled at least ten years ago.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 6
(edited)

I'm the only one that thinks the lip reading was funny I guess. Some of it I couldn't understand, but just seeing Derek "saying" "I pooped! On camera!" really tickled me.

I will miss Len. They should have put together his best rhymes and one-liners.

I really could do without the stupid slow song someone sings each finale while the 3 finalists stand awkwardly and watch a montage.

The right gal one. Love Rumer!

Charlotte is really that dumb.

Edited by ShaNaeNae
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's a social anxiety thing, and she wasn't wearing a bag over her head. It's a legitimate phobia that she has talked about on multiple occasions. It doesn't take away from her talent, so I'm not sure why DWTS wouldn't have her on the show. DWTS is about dancing.

That said, I agree that the kids in the routine were more appealing than Derek and Julianne. That boy was insane.

I would buy this while social anxiety thing if it didn't come and go. She performed for years without wearing a bag on her head/hiding in the dark/etc. I don't doubt she probably has some mental illness issues that lead her to do this, but I also think it's kind of just a schtick.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 3

I'm the only one that thinks the lip reading was funny I guess. 

No, my family enjoyed it as well.  It wasn't the best example of that kind of thing I've ever seen done, but we thought it was funny.  Maybe we were just in a good mood and not very demanding when it came to our entertainment last night.  <lol>

I forgot to mention in my comments above that the show got us at the end.  For as long as I can remember, the winning couple has always stood on Tom's side of the room, so when I saw how they had them lined up, I expected that Riker and Allison had won.  I was hoping against hope that I was wrong, and the whole family was thrilled that I was. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought I'd feel more about Val's time arriving but I'm strangely unmoved. The best dance pairing won but, aside from that principal, I've never been emotionally invested in Rumer because she was always good so I find I feel much more relief than excitement by her win.

I'm also surprised by how much better I found Riker due to dancing with the pressure off and the freestyle being a repeat. For the first time I agreed he was totally crisp and in control, like Julianne always raves. Still could've done without him this season entirely, though.

It was amusing seeing Riker's reaction when Allison basically said on GMA, "From day one it was so easy with Riker, like he could dance already!"

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 2

I'm the only one that thinks the lip reading was funny I guess. Some of it I couldn't understand, but just seeing Derek "saying" "I pooped! On camera!" really tickled me.

I will miss Len. They should have put together his best rhymes and one-liners.

I really could do without the stupid slow song someone sings each finale while the 3 finalists stand awkwardly and watch a montage.

The right gal one. Love Rumer!

Charlotte is really that dumb.

I thought the lip sync but was funny too, but I tend to be amused by juvenile humor like that. I can see why some people thought it was dumb, but I was laughing out loud.

• Love 2

I can't imagine the outrage in the media had they paired, for example, two gay people and ...well you made my point better than I did. :)

If they had paired two gay men or two gay women, the most common reaction would have been, "It's about bloody time the show had the balls to go there!"

• Love 2

Derek congratulates Val & Rumer: "OMG what a camera hog, I see you trying to weasel your way into the shot." 

Derek does not congratulate Val & Rumer: "OMG so entitled, did you see him not even go over there when the rest of the dancers were swarming them??" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or:

"OMG Val was so desperate and selfish that he snatched the MBT from Rumer's hands and refused to let go!"

"The MBT was heavy, everyone said it, he's being a gentleman!"

The winners each get one of their own. Val temporarily holding it last night doesn't mean that Rumer is left in a cloud of dust with nothing.

Thanks to those who gave the choreographer's name for Sia's song. I didn't hear it mentioned on the show.

• Love 2

If they had paired two gay men or two gay women, the most common reaction would have been, "It's about bloody time the show had the balls to go there!"

Honesty, I think the majority reaction would be more "I don't understand why they're doing this, other than to make a point." I think Strictly Come Dancing did it and I don't know how that went, but I also think there's a general expectation for a proper ballroom dance to be between a man and a woman, not two men or two women. IDGAF about the dancer's sexual orientation and maybe it's just me, but I think dances are just going to flow better between a man and a woman.

(That said, more Michael Sams wouldn't be amiss. Dude could move his hips like very few other male celebs and it was amazing.)

But if the goal of this show is to get away from "proper" ballroom (bye Len! you'll be sorely missed!!), then I guess it doesn't matter. But it will make me question the show even more and probably make me like it less.

• Love 1
(edited)

Honesty, I think the majority reaction would be more "I don't understand why they're doing this, other than to make a point." I think Strictly Come Dancing did it and I don't know how that went, but I also think there's a general expectation for a proper ballroom dance to be between a man and a woman, not two men or two women. IDGAF about the dancer's sexual orientation and maybe it's just me, but I think dances are just going to flow better between a man and a woman.

On second thought, I'm taking my response to the General DWTS Gabbery thread, as I think this discussion may be more appropriate there than here.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

I dunno, Sasha and Derek looked pretty good together. https://youtu.be/LqMVvZndhuU?t=15m55s(That should start at the right spot but if it doesn't skip to about 15:55) 

(edited)

For me, Patti LaBelle was the best thing about the results show. She knocked it out of the park. Amazing talent.I really really hate the so called "music" that teens find appealing, so I hated much of the results show. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
(edited)

I finally figured out why Rumer and Val did not "move" me. I cannot remember one of their dances...they all looked the same to me

My top 5 favorite dances  from Rumer in no particular order were her beautiful Foxtrot, and that gorgeous pink gown re-danced even better,  her crazy underscored Disco-Salsa and her slamming body in that incredible gold outfit, her awesome Ursala Samba,  her beautiful Rumba in red, her fire Paso Doble and that unbelievable Swan Lake.  Gosh they were all so good. And not one of them looked the same to me.  

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 11
(edited)

No, my family enjoyed it as well.  It wasn't the best example of that kind of thing I've ever seen done, but we thought it was funny.  Maybe we were just in a good mood and not very demanding when it came to our entertainment last night.

It's not that I cared one way or another about that "lip reading" segment. It was kind of dumb, parts of it were generally funny, etc. It's just when I realized at the end of the episode that they hadn't done anything about or for Len, that's when I thought back to what could have been cut to make room for a tribute and that "lip reading" segment seemed completely pointless in comparison to something that could have been really lovely and well-deserved about Len. I mean, them pretending Derek wants to poop in front of everyone on camera is more important to air on TV than a tribute to Len on his final day of the show? Just... NO.

LOL.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 4

I am so glad Rumer won. So deserving. I did my best to throw her some votes. I had no opinion of her pre show other than people make fun of her looks. But she seems delightful and I think she's gorgeous.

Go away Charlette and never come back...please.

Patty looked so great. She still,can't dance but I still love her.

• Love 3

Watching that rehearsal is a revelation. Derek and Nastia are having a great time together. I just wish they had been able to show that connection during performances.

That is why I was extra bummed to lose Nastia in the final. They were about there. I wanted a redo of their rumba and something really outstanding and connected for their freestyle. It would have been a chance to see something from them we hadn't seen yet. Riker's freestyle, while I do find him entertaining to watch, didn't show us that much of a different side to him from his trio jazz, and Noah, while I liked his freestyle more than I thought I would, really just gave us an extended version of his earlier contemporary. I don't know what we would have gotten from a Nastia freestyle, and that's why I wanted to see it. And then, totally, Rumer as the winner, because she was great all season, and a beautiful dancer, and it meant a lot to both her and Val, and that was really nice to see. 

Their jive/paso rehearsal (from the week of all the "drama") is even more fun. Nastia is really giggly, and it just makes me disappointed they never showed us any of that all season. 

• Love 2

I'm surprised they didn't show any of that. The three of them seemed to be having lots of fun. And Nastia accidentally hitting Derek in his self-declared "man bits" with her butt during a sexy move was pretty funny. The showrunners seem to enjoy showing those kinds of moments (see: Witney and Alfonso) so I'm surprised they didn't show that one with the three of them.

• Love 1

Derek and Julianne show us messy-room domestic violence between siblings -- how it starts in youth and thus, never ever ends. That's what I saw, so it must be so.  They threw furniture at each other.

Which explains his obsession with dancing with it, to this day ;)

• Love 4
(edited)

That is why I was extra bummed to lose Nastia in the final. They were about there. I wanted a redo of their rumba and something really outstanding and connected for their freestyle.

In my opinion, once Nastia was eliminated in fourth, Rumer's win was sewn up. And do not get me wrong, she is a more than worthy winner but it just added to the meh factor in my opinion because there was no real challenge for her in the finale. Like you said, imagine Nastia redoing her rumba that she did all the way in the second week and how much she could have grown by then.

I just feel like Noah was obviously never going to measure up dance wise and Allison completely dropped the ball on what should have been a shining moment for her in the freestyle. I mean who knows, maybe Derek would have dropped the ball too on the freestyle but I just really think there might have been more of a real competition had Nastia been at the end going up against Rumer and make for a more exciting finale.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

One thing that bummed me out... I can't believe they didn't skip some of that time-waster stuff (Charlotte's dance, for example) and instead have a segment about Len and his contributions to the show over the years. To hear him talk about giving out his last "10," I really thought he deserved a better send-off. What's up with that, DWTS producers??

I totally agree. Also, when long-time Pros retired from dancing, Maks, Cheryl, Karina, it would have been nice to see a little something the season after their departure in the results show for the Finale, as a tribute. Doesn't have to be a long production, even 1 minute of funny or touching moments. Failure to do so, to me, seems to create a sense the producers regard the talent as disposible. Doesn't make the show look good.

• Love 4

I don't think it would have made an ounce of difference if Nastia made it to the final.  She never would have beaten Riker or Rumor with the viewers.  Yes, she is a wonderful dancer but she never showed the passion that they did.  And that is the difference.  Most viewers IMO just couldn't connect with her.  Maybe it doesn't matter when you're competing in gymnastics but it counts for so much in this type of competition.

• Love 3

I never said she would win. I am just saying that for me personally, certainly some may disagree, but seeing as I never thought she was "cold", I think her being there would have made it a closer race. Because cold or not, her technical dance ability was never in question and I just think she would have made a more formidable challenge for Rumer. As the case was, the finale was vastly underwhelming for me because Rumer had little competition just in the way of technical ability. I never thought Riker's technique was as clean and sharp as it needed to be and once again, Allison dropped the ball on the freestyle.

• Love 2

I don't think it would have made an ounce of difference if Nastia made it to the final.  She never would have beaten Riker or Rumor with the viewers.  Yes, she is a wonderful dancer but she never showed the passion that they did.  And that is the difference.  Most viewers IMO just couldn't connect with her.  Maybe it doesn't matter when you're competing in gymnastics but it counts for so much in this type of competition.

I wonder if part of the reason for the supposed disconnect in Nastie was simply the result of her not being around the rest of the performers mucht of the time. It doesn't even sound like she was spending much time with Derek, then there was the switch from Henry to Sasha, so not sure she ever had a real bond with anyone. I've thought the entire season that she was missing out on all the fun and pranks that the rest were involved in, mixing and mingling and just hanging out. I look at some of the obvious friendships that formed between the stars, Noah and Robert, for instance, that probably wouldn't have happened had one or the other of them only there part time. Nastia was shortchanged, alas.

• Love 5

If it's taken them this long to put the fix in, they're not very good at their jobs.

Well, after handing him ringer after ringer after ringer, it finally worked out this time.

I'm surprised they didn't show any of that. The three of them seemed to be having lots of fun. And Nastia accidentally hitting Derek in his self-declared "man bits" with her butt during a sexy move was pretty funny. The showrunners seem to enjoy showing those kinds of moments (see: Witney and Alfonso) so I'm surprised they didn't show that one with the three of them.

Showing Nastia being all giggly and smiling didn't fit the narrative.  It didn't fit that "no connection" nonsense they were spewing.

In my opinion, once Nastia was eliminated in fourth, Rumer's win was sewn up. And do not get me wrong, she is a more than worthy winner but it just added to the meh factor in my opinion because there was no real challenge for her in the finale. Like you said, imagine Nastia redoing her rumba that she did all the way in the second week and how much she could have grown by then.

Exactly.  Once Nastia went out at 4th, it was an easy road to the win for Rumer and Val.  If Nastia and Derek got the chance to redo their rumba and to do a freestyle, they would've been a huge threat.  They had to take out the competition to get Val that win.

• Love 1
(edited)

Nastia just didn't get the votes. Unlike Shawn who was fresh off of the 2008 Olympics when she competed she wasn't a household name.  Nastia was now 7 years off of the Olympics so the fanbase people assumed was there wasn't. Gymnasts have to capitalize on the year of the Olympics because the further removed they are from that the less likely their fans follow. Conversely, Ice skaters like Kristi Yamaguchi or Meryl Davis do shows as pros after their Olympic year and have more staying power in the public eye.  In hindsight we know that Nastia not only was in trouble with the votes, she needed that immunity as much as Willow did so the decision to keep her in was a gift of two more weeks of dancing.  Her last dance being a touching and beautiful Viennese Waltz with Len was also a great gift. 

Derek Hough doesn't guarantee a finale finish. He's now  been 4th out twice in a row. His celebrities might be ringers in terms of ability, but they also have to bring a large voting fanbase with them to get farther in the competition. This season combined with the perception that he had two many things going in order to give his complete attention to his celebrity lead to their dismissal.  They could not have the connection that Rumer and Val had because it was a struggle to prepare being bi-coastal. Nastia is a beautiful dancer and would have been more formidable competition for Rumer and Val in the finale, but there isn't anything that prevented Nastia from getting there except Nastia and Derek themselves.     

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 5
(edited)

Well, after handing him ringer after ringer after ringer, it finally worked out this time

Dancing well doesn't mean staying power, but a strong fanbase does.  Exhibit one :  Noah Galloway he isn't a dancer, and he knows it, but he got middle America and the military behind him, even the First Lady tweeted her support.  Val's partners who didn't get far simply didn't have the fanbase to get there. But, in eight seasons being to the finale 4 times is nothing to sneeze at. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 6