Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E14: Finale Results: Two-Hour Finale

• Start Topic

9pm - 11pm EDT

In the two-hour Season Finale on TUESDAY, MAY 19 (9:00-11:00 p.m. ET), the show kicks off with a high-energy opening number featuring a reunion of all 12 of this season’s couples in addition to the judges and hosts. Then, one couple will perform an encore of their Freestyle dance as decided on by the judges. The finale will also feature a performance to “Juicy Wiggle,” by RedFoo and encore performances by Charlotte McKinney and Keo Motsepe to “California Girls,” Suzanne Somers and Tony Dovolani to “Copacabana” featuring six additional dancers, Robert Herjavec and Kym Johnson to “Bills,” Chris Soules and Witney Carson to “Footloose,” Willow Shields and Mark Ballas to “Alice’s Theme,” Nastia Liukin and Derek Hough’s Charleston to “Honey, I’m Good” featuring a performance by Andy Grammar and much more. The night will also include a reprise performance from Patti LaBelle and Artem Chigvintsev to “In Da Club,” and the Grammy award winning artist will also perform her hit song “2 Steps Away.” Additionally, fan favorites from past seasons Amy Purdy, Alfonso Ribeiro and Sadie Robertson return to the ballroom for special performances. Sia will perform her hit song “Elastic Heart” with a special dance performance by Derek and Julianne Hough. The star studded night will continue with a performance by Jason Derulo singing his hit song “Want To Want Me.” In the last element of competition, the couples will perform a new routine as part of a “24 Hour Fusion Challenge.” The remaining couples will fuse two contrasting dance styles that they’ve performed this season and they’ll have less than 24 hours to prepare that dance for additional judges’ points. At the end of the night, the winner of the Gold Mirrorball trophy will be announced!

(edited)

Well that first hour and a half was a waste.  The only thing I enjoyed was the Derek and Jules and their mini mes piece and finding out Alfonso is going to be the next host of AFV.  I didn't think I was going to make it till the end.

I thought Riker's last dance was the best of the 3, not that it mattered with the scoring.  And considering I didn't like much of yesterday's performances, I didn't really care for the outcome.

Is it just me or is Val getting hotter every day?  Yay for him.

I hope I have someone to root for on next season's cast, because this season didn't blow me away. 

ETA: I actually wish more time could be invested in the after party.

Edited by dizzyd
  • Love 2
(edited)

I was so blasé about the results that I was more interested in:

1. was it just my audio, or did ABC really feel the need to censor the line "sun-kissed skin" in the Katy Perry song Keo and Charlotte danced to?

2. did someone forget to turn off their iPhone ringer during Noah's fusion dance critique? It was faint when Carrie Ann was talking, but I swear I heard the ringtone I use as my alarm (and it wasn't my phone, I checked!)

But thank God, not Allison. (Too bad she'll be back next season?) Congratulations, Val. (Even though that means we'll forever hear about how he has the special gold mirror ball.) I kinda loved how excited her sisters and Demi were in the audience, tbh.

And Michael Sam was not the best dancer, but I also loved that he went to Riker for a hug. I'm sorry, Riker, that you didn't have a more appropriate partner. I would have totally supported you if that were the case.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 5

This turned out exactly the way I wanted. I would have been okay if the top two had been switched.

I really enjoyed the Derek/Julianne/minithems dance. I also enjoyed Patti's dance with Artem, Suzanne's dance with Tony, and Patti's song. The rest? Lots of filler.

• Love 5

I could have gone either way on Rumer or Riker but it almost seemed the dancers were really pulling for Rumer.  I've never seen a winner so bum rushed so fast on this show ever.  Tony almost took Val out!

The only thing I could think of when Noah and Amy danced was "Major burn towards Heather Mills."

Alfonso and Sadie are nothing but cute (and congrats to him on the new job!)

Oh show, I can't quit you.  But I did tear up when Len gave out his final paddle.  It won't be the see now The Three Amigos are judging this now. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Yuck and double yuck!  I guess the judges got their way and now little Val has his trophy too.

And I could not stand that dance to "Sia", whoever the heck she is.  Don't bring this person back on the show if all she is going to do is put a bag over her head.

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 5

How's your foot, Derek? He was even more obnoxious in the Charleston this time around. And stop trying to weasel your way into the final shot.

Rumer was the only acceptable winner, IMO. Her pairing with Val was pitch perfect and their perpetual smiles were so telling. She was an absolute joy to watch. I'll miss her dearly.

• Love 21
(edited)

Well...they got the result that they worked so hard for all season.  So, Val got the gold mirror ball and the validation that he needed.  You can already hear his ego growing.  He'll go to sleep with that thing tonight.

So, whose turn will it be next season?  Or are they through with catering to certain pros?

Edited by superdeluxe
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well, that was disappointing and predictable. IMO. I felt that Riker was by far the more skilled dancer and his dances were way more interesting to me, but oh well.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 2

Derek and Julianne show us messy-room domestic violence between siblings -- how it starts in youth and thus, never ever ends. That's what I saw, so it must be so.  They threw furniture at each other.

• Love 9

That was a dull finale.

Congratulations Rumer, although I was pulling for Riker.

God how I wish Carrie Ann was the judge quitting. No one's life was changed because Noah rocked back and forth on the floor for the past 10 weeks.

And for people claiming that the judges set it up for Val to win; Riker finished the season has the highest scoring celebrity, before Nastia was eliminated, she was the highest scoring, Rumer never was.

• Love 13

What's the name of the young, dark-haired troupe dancer who made sure he got in every shot tonight? At first it was annoying, and then it got funny. What a tool.

• Love 1

Erin's dress was an odd, wrinkly, be-pocketed mess. What a waste of a gorgeous woman. 

I'm happy for Val - he's a phenomenal dancer, and he and Rumer were the best out there. They worked for it - it wasn't just handed to them on a platter. 

Riker and Allison's 24-hour fusion dance was head and shoulders above their (still sloppy) freestyle. 

• Love 13

Well...they got the result that they worked so hard for all season.  So, Val got the gold mirror ball and the validation that he needed.  You can already hear his ego growing.  He'll go to sleep with that thing tonight.

So, whose turn will it be next season?  Or are they through with catering to certain pros?

The judges didn't work very hard, Rumer is in second in judges scores, behind Riker, and was behind both Riker and Nastia before she got eliminated.

• Love 16

I've seen more exciting Finals and was okay with the top two..I thought Rumer was good but she didn't fill me with joy like Alfonso or enthrall me like Kristi Yamaguchi....

Glad to see Patti.and for the lack of desire I had for this season, I will miss it as it really is something I snark with my Mom for...

After Letterman goes off the air tomorrow, all that will be left are reruns of stuff and Hulu and Netflix...yawn...

Happy for Rumer and Val! I really enjoyed their partnership.

I almost cried when Len said it was his last "10 from Len." I'll miss him!

I always love Alfonso and am excited for his AFV gig. And I always effing love Tom Bergeron. That man is just the classiest of acts.

Time to start campaigning for next season? Contender for Emma? Sasha as a pro again? Derek and Val with Tony/Tristan type partners (ha. Like that will happen).

• Love 8

This season was lackluster, but the one who I enjoyed watching every week was Rumer and I'm very happy that she won. In my opinion, she was the best dancer and deserved to win the mirrorball trophy. Congrats to Val too for the win and the great season he had with Rumer.

I loved seeing Alfonso and Sadie dancing together. They were adorable. It was also nice to hear that he'll be the new host of AFV. I'll miss Tom, but I think Alfonso will be great.

• Love 12

I'm pleased with the results. I wish the finale had included at least either Nastia or Willow but for this final three, it was the right result.

I got very nervous when Len said Noah deserved the trophy for all he did for America. Sharna did amazing work this season covering up not only his inability to dance, but also perform and inhabit any character that wasn't based on himself. I love that when given the opening to praise Sharna, he ignored it and talked about how other people treated him instead.

I want to give a shout out to Lindsay. I've been watching her all season, in the troupe, never trying to steal the spotlight but always being clean, sharp and full of personality. Its a shame that it seems the troupe is all she's destined for because she certainly has skills.

Also, am I nuts or did Allison lose her place during the Fifth Harmony performance? It looked so sloppy. Maybe don't count on pros in the finals to fill out the troupe since they don't have the same focus as everyone else. 

That boys number was super hot and fun. It was Magic Mike on steroids. 

• Love 4

That was a dull finale.

Congratulations Rumer, although I was pulling for Riker.

God how I wish Carrie Ann was the judge quitting. No one's life was changed because Noah rocked back and forth on the floor for the past 10 weeks.

And for people claiming that the judges set it up for Val to win; Riker finished the season has the highest scoring celebrity, before Nastia was eliminated, she was the highest scoring, Rumer never was.

I actually addressed this in more detail earlier in the grassy knoll thread, how the judges scoring means little for the winner's arc - I think you need to pay more attention to what the judges say, not the number on the paddle, to figure out the producers' storyboarded winner.

• Love 3

I want to give a shout out to Lindsay. I've been watching her all season, in the troupe, never trying to steal the spotlight but always being clean, sharp and full of personality. Its a shame that it seems the troupe is all she's destined for because she certainly has skills.

I have to agree - she's turned me around on her - I think she could be given another chance.

• Love 4

I'm sad Redfoo left as early as he did. His two minutes tonight were more entertaining than the whole second half of the season.

How come Michael Sams didn't dance? Peta's injury?

Would have loved the pro guys' dance a lot more without the audience shots of awkward teen girls.

Did Derek choreograph the Sia dance? I'd find it a lot cooler if the concept wasn't a redux of his jive for Nastia. The kids were great and more in sync than Derek and Julianne.

Would have liked Patti's dance better without Charlotte hamming it up. The finale kind of reinforced how glad I am she went home early. "Is this for real?!"

Two thoughts:

I wonder if Val's stripped down, traditional routines will work next season, or if the show will descend into Freestyle Every Week without Len keeping them in check.

I wonder if now that Val has won and that awkward elephant is out of the ballroom, Derek is allowed to win again.

Did Derek choreograph the Sia dance? I'd find it a lot cooler if the concept wasn't a redux of his jive for Nastia. The kids were great and more in sync than Derek and Julianne.

The choreographers name is Tassandra Chavez. Her tweet... @TessandraChavez: Tune in to @DancingABC tonight to see the @Sia performance I choreographed featuring the genius dancing of @juliannehough @derekhough.

• Love 2

Happy that Rumer won and that Val can now stop whining about never having won.

I note that Tony, Maks, and Val all won different looking trophies. I'd be shocked if they aren't put on display like museum pieces in their dance studios.

• Love 1

Well, as long as Noah finished third, like he deserved to (well, really, he deserved to be nowhere near the finale), I was fine with the result.  Congrats, Rumer & Val!  Good on you for getting your first win, Val! :)

• Love 14

After all the hype, Noah and Amy Purdy's "dance" consisted of her walking around him. And the rest of it was out of sync when they were joined by Sharna and Derek. That seemed like a wasted opportunity. 

Best of all, Noah's proposal strategy backfired! Hahahahaha!

Can't believe that Riker and Allison got the encore dance, but I think that's because Riker and his family/band are strong on twitter. Probably led him and Allison to think they were going to win for sure.

After I watched Riker & Allison's 24-hour fusion, I realized one of the reasons their freestyle didn't work for me (besides the albino Willie Wonka look, the frantic and out-of-sync choreography, the silly platforms with the playground bars, and the wrong song) was because they really are great when they dance together and the freestyle kept them apart the whole time. 

Once again, the couple with the best freestyle won. 

• Love 9
(edited)

So, Rumer must have been pulling in serious votes from the viewers, since she was actually behind Riker and Nastia (until her elimination) in total judge's points. Not to mention overcoming the Patriotism votes for Noah. This makes me happy. Especially since that other show's winner and top four finalist placements were predictable as hell. Shit, that other show had declared a winner 10 weeks ago.  At least we had a LITTLE suspense on this show in the end.

And Rumer's family reaction? Priceless. 

Hey Val. You don't just have a Mirror Ball of Tacky Goodness. You have an INCREDIBLY GAUDY GOLD Mirror Ball of Stunningly Tacky Goodness!  So, suck it Derek and Maks. Derek may have five, but they're just silver. Go on with your bad self! 

Oh, and Val....let Rumer hold the damned trophy for a minute. She didn't really get her hands on it until they hauled out the second trophy for post-show interviews. He REALLY wanted that thing. The desperation was no act.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 9
(edited)

Derek and Julianne show us messy-room domestic violence between siblings -- how it starts in youth and thus, never ever ends. That's what I saw, so it must be so.  They threw furniture at each other.

Not the furniture! Poor Derek.

I actually hope Lindsay never makes it to pro again, and I wouldn't miss her in the Troupe. After Allison, she's the female pro who bugs me the most. She can not. Stop. Staring. At. The Camera. It's annoying, distracting, and poor stage presence to boot.

Patti looked amazing.

Edited by tearbender
  • Love 1

And I could not stand that dance to "Sia", whoever the heck she is.  Don't bring this person back on the show if all she is going to do is put a bag over her head.

It's a social anxiety thing, and she wasn't wearing a bag over her head. It's a legitimate phobia that she has talked about on multiple occasions. It doesn't take away from her talent, so I'm not sure why DWTS wouldn't have her on the show. DWTS is about dancing.

That said, I agree that the kids in the routine were more appealing than Derek and Julianne. That boy was insane.

• Love 3

Derek and Julianne show us messy-room domestic violence between siblings -- how it starts in youth and thus, never ever ends. That's what I saw, so it must be so.  They threw furniture at each other.

I enjoyed watching them dance together, but that particular dance was pretty scary. I have siblings but we don't throw furniture at each other or put each other in choke holds and strangle each other. LOL.

I'm thrilled for Rumer and Val, and I got such a kick out of how excited Rumer's sister was for her. She was cheering SO hard. Awesome support.

• Love 7

After all the hype, Noah and Amy Purdy's "dance" consisted of her walking around him. And the rest of it was out of sync when they were joined by Sharna and Derek. That seemed like a wasted opportunity. 

i read on twitter that noah hurt his arm last night, so they may have changed it

• Love 1

Pure has been a disaster the last couple seasons because of how nasty and biased they are. They won't give anyone in the "fam" any due and they were downright nasty to Janel last season and not giving Rumer any credit at all.

I only go to them for spoilers and BTS stuff but sometimes it's hard to read how nasty they are, even to the people that comment in their posts, if you don't agree with them, they'll delete your comments or call you names.

For all the complaing Pure is doing about this win being a complete set up, Riker and Rumer tied in scores.

If the judges wanted her to win so bad they would've given her assistance. Clearly she didn't need it.

Her win reminds me of Brooke's in the sense that a lot of people at the announcement thought they had small fan bases but managed a win for good dancing on their own.

• Love 9

Happy that Rumer won and that Val can now stop whining about never having won.

I note that Tony, Maks, and Val all won different looking trophies. I'd be shocked if they aren't put on display like museum pieces in their dance studios.

Oh, you know those things are on display.  But Val's will be pushed a little forward or a little higher because it's gold.

Val and Tony can bond, both won DWTS Milestone Mirror Ball Trophies.

Defeating a Hough.

With help.