Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E24: You're My Home

• Start Topic

What the hell??? That was a season finale?! Might as well just end this show already. Jesus Christ!

Although I loved watching Patrick again. At least they gave us that.

• Love 10
(edited)

I was only half paying attention. Does anyone else have problems with their digital cable box only recording a few minutes of things, or cutting in and out? I missed the first ten minutes, and am no longer engaged in it, but I thought that Jo and Alex would move into a new place. I was hoping for an engagement, though - they're really dragging that out. 

I also figured that Jackson would encourage April to do what she wanted to do, but also want to break up. I wonder if Sarah Drew wanted more time with her children, or if they won't break up next season - they just needed a bit of drama.

As much as Bailey can be annoying now, I think Richard knows his staff well enough to appoint someone... but they'll probably bring someone in as a new love interest. 

I liked them ending on a happy note. The time jump makes it seem to fast to see Meredith smiling like that, but it was nice. She was happy again, at least for a while. 

I'm not sure if I'll be back next season. 

Edited by Anela

Although I appreciate the "happy" ending and the focus given to Meredith, I found the episode infested with forced sentiment: Amelia and that contrived phone message, Jo's declaration to Alex, and the reconciliation of Richard and Catherine (for whom I was admittedly rooting, despite my continued distaste for the latter). Everything felt too neat; while I don't think cliffhangers are necessary for a season finale, most of the events were contained to individual couples, and it all felt a bit too formulaic -- throwing bones to each pair on the list (except, oddly, Callie and Arizona, whom I'm glad are still apart). Thus, it was a disappointing end to a season that was riddled with missteps, but more interesting than most. 

• Love 6

Not too bad. It's obvious the show was still suffering from the backlash of rewrites and the major nip/tuck that took place halfway through. Messy and mediocre, but acceptable.

I liked the final scene with the dancing and especially that final shot. It almost seems like they're kind of doing a soft reboot? with Meredith moving into the old house (most likely with tons of roommates even though she has three kids), etc. Maggie putting her head on Mer's shoulder was reminiscent of the iconic Cristina/Meredith bar scene.

Bailey becoming chief eventually will be nice. But why wasn't this JPJ's final episode? Would've been a nice sendoff for him to retire and move to Boston. I like his character but he's run his course on the show, IMO.

I had two major issues with the episode: 1) I hate how they made the voicemail/Derek's final new scene ever on the show about Amelia (and to some degree Owen) rather than Meredith. 2) I hate that they're going through with getting rid of the dream house...

• Love 8

I liked the happyish ending and I'm happy Alex and Jo will get their own place. I like Owen a lot but have never warmed up to Amelia and continue to think she seems way too young to be this cutting edge surgeon. I also really like Jackson and April as a couple and really hate them breaking up; but what is he supposed to do? Most people aren't going to just go without a wife/husband for a year at a time. Sometimes people have to cause of military obligations but even then they come home sometimes and there are a lot of divorces even so. Kind of seemed like a series finale to me.

• Love 8

Seems clear to me that Shonda wanted a series finale in the pocket in the event ABC did not renew for season 12. As another poster said up thread, it also is a soft reboot.

I didn't love this ep, but I didn't hate it, either. And I adored that scene with PD on the ferry.

• Love 2

Poor Arizona, she's about to be living with three small children and she doesn't even know it.  Just watch, one of those little devils will steal her leg.

I'm honestly surprised that Meredith will be selling the dream house.  It seems like such a slap in the face to Derek.  I guess they need the set space for Alex and Jo's warehouse.

Speaking of the new digs, please give it a unique look, set designers.  Outside of the frat house and the Bailey/Warren household, every damn (non-mobile) home looks the same.

• Love 2

I'm honestly surprised that Meredith will be selling the dream house.  It seems like such a slap in the face to Derek.  I guess they need the set space for Alex and Jo's warehouse.

There was build up to the house for 5 damn seasons and she's just gonna sell it? And the land? And...what? No. I'm so irritated by this. Plus the dream house is beautiful and it seems pretty pointless to move. 

• Love 10

Seems clear to me that Shonda wanted a series finale in the pocket in the event ABC did not renew for season 12. As another poster said up thread, it also is a soft reboot.

I didn't love this ep, but I didn't hate it, either. And I adored that scene with PD on the ferry.

Abc always announces the upcoming schedule but that Greys would be renewed for a 12th season was a lock and a given , there was no worry or fretting about that. But I do think the time jump episode and this episode did work together as a soft reboot.

• Love 3

I didn't like the episode at all, Jackson and April separating made me sad, Alex and Jo scenes really don't make me want to watch, as well as Owen and Amelia scenes.  That said Meredith scenes were great, and I love the sisterly love, plus I am interested in just the one new male intern, the rest can go. 

• Love 1

There was build up to the house for 5 damn seasons and she's just gonna sell it? And the land? And...what? No. I'm so irritated by this. Plus the dream house is beautiful and it seems pretty pointless to move. 

Well, there is the whole approximately 300 mile detour of death between the dream home and SeaTac that she can avoid by moving.  

• Love 11

The dancing scene was cute, but other than that it was a rather mediocre episode let alone finale. 

I'm glad Jackson spoke up, though. April is just running from her problems and it's selfish and unfair to Jackson to have to continue to wait around for her and deal with things on his own. Since this all happened in one day, I don't think they are officially separated or anything, so is April bawling her eyes out because Jackson basically gave her an ultimatum? If the decision to be with your husband and kicking butt in trauma at work isn't enough for April, then clearly they have bigger problems. It was sad and surprised me when Jackson said April never asked how he was doing. Talk about a 180! 

• Love 4
(edited)

Jo and Alex are still together, so I'll be there for S12. And they had their own scenes, wow. It was high time that Jo put her foot down re:Meredith lack of boundaries, she had way more patience than I would have. So they're building their dream house, I mean, loft. I see what you did there. Loved the warehouse scene. Alex gets his girl, and his house!

Loved the Amelia and Owen scenes, too. I could see the attraction before, now I see a connection that goes beyond that. 

Bummed about Jackson and April, but how the show has grown. No "whoreslut" insults and other demeaning attitudes, no more childish conflicts. I wish J/A had grieved and stayed together, but...They still love each other, at least there's that. I hope it just sets them up to find their way back to each other next season.

I liked the female bonding at the end. Mere was hit and miss, insensitive and entitled with Alex, but good with Maggie and Richard/Catherine.

Aaand talking about entitled, obnoxious Bailey is back with a vengeance. She's definitely a character who I find sympathetic only when she's down. She's a good teacher, but I hope she won't get any kind of authority beyond that. Catherine annoyed me at times, but I was 100% with her here. 

I did feel like a series finale, it made me think of the Brothers & Sisters one.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 3
(edited)

Meredith annoyed me when she asked if Jo was going to move out. I know the house was originally hers, and she's still grieving, but she could find a new place. She isn't exactly poor. I would clean up the dream house, and rent it out, rather than sell it. She could give it to her children, later on.

Jo with the loft, reminded me of Cristina with the firehouse, was it? When she bought a home for Owen and herself. Although I'd prefer the house, the loft felt right for Jo, and someone of her age. And they will have *privacy*. 

I'm also bummed about Jackson and April - I've always liked them together. 

It did feel like a series finale. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 2
Did they cut a scene where she also got to bond with her baby?

I think they did show the baby lying on the mom's chest as she was being wheeled to the OR for her next procedure (and when they discovered that she was bleeding profusely). So even though New Mom couldn't use her arms to hold the baby, he was on her and she was likely able to feel the weight of his body. 

• Love 2

Merediths utter dislike off Jo and disrespect for her relationship of Alex continues to amaze me.

I'm so glad he's moving out. He may be Meredith person but she for sure couldn't give two fucks about him.

• Love 6

I really hate time jumps.  It's been a year, right?  So, in a year, Alex and Jo haven't progressed their relationship at all.  April and Jackson were apart and they're only discussing it now?  (I missed 3 episodes so maybe I missed something?).  Owen and Amelia are still?????  These are grown people and I know it's a soap but their lives seem to move at glacial speed.  If I'm a divorced man in his 40's I'm not waiting a year for some bone of "I hope this works out".  Communicate people!  Move it along!

Shallow note - everyone looked nice in the final scene but Meredith was wearing some ugly pink sleeveless blouse?  It didn't fit in for me.

Good thing there was room at the 24/7 daycare blackhole for Meredith's 3rd child!

• Love 3
(edited)

I see that Maggie's adoptive parents weren't invincible to the spouse cheats and the couple stays together for a very petty reason that has been rampant through Grey's and even Private Practice for the last 11 years. Her argument that she was a grown woman and if it was 11 years and given Maggie being the super puzzle whisper genius, it means that she was done with med school and as resident when it was going on. Hence, no reason to separate since: "It was for the kids" excuse. Especially when she was out on her own but she lived in the same area, hence they had to keep it going. That is right up there with Addison's parents who stayed together because her dad loved her mother but he could go sleep with whoever he wanted but he would never leave her and vice versa. Even more it was going on since they were kids and both Addy and her brother knew it. Yet the truth comes out when the kids were in their late 30s but oh no, blame dad. Here it is the reversal with Maggie's mom and the fact it went on for 11 YEARS!

I was very happy with Baily laying the smack down on Steph, she was right, this is her job and she can't ignore it, Yang did that and look what happened that first year because she cared more about surgery than teaching. Christina learned in the end but I do get sick of these stories. Not everyone is a great teacher or mentor but you can't just yell at your interns and hope they learn. You have to show them, you have to talk to them even in a crisis. That's what a teacher does. I still think the intern messing up the collar brace was still a moron. He is a surgical intern, he still had to do an internship in the medical field before he graduated, he would know that you don't remove a collar brace until you know for a fact it is safe to do it. He came off like a kid wanting to play baseball and didn't know you had to catch the ball. He is still a doctor! Duh! The rest, it was ok, soft reboot and yes Jackson and April, she just doesn't want to deal with the death of Sam so her plan is just busy with work. Never mind how it is killing your husband because it was: HIS KID TOO!

Edited by readster

I'm easy, I guess. I liked the finale. I liked the doctors working together on the couple.

Owen and Amelia didn't annoy me for once. Not giving them a lot of dialogue probably helped.

Jackson was interesting to me for the first time in forever when he was talking about how April never asked how he was doing, etc. I don't think April will end up going, but I'm glad Jackson spoke up.

I really enjoyed Alex and Jo's scenes. I like their crappy new loft and Jo finally speaking up and voicing what she wanted.

The Meredith I like was almost back. I liked her with Maggie and Amelia, but she really was a tool to Alex. I'm kind of hoping for some Alex and Jackson next season. They've said a couple words to each other this season. I'm rooting for whole sentences next season.

Bailey basically has the same cliffhanger as last year. Hopefully, the chief competition doesn't go the way of Alex and the board seat. I dislike overconfident Bailey.

• Love 4

While I hate to see Alex give up a beautiful house for that crappy loft, I do like how he and Jo actually talked to each other like adults and managed to find a way to work it out.  I haven't been a fan of Jo, but she's actually becoming kind of okay.

• Love 2
(edited)
I really hate time jumps.  It's been a year, right?  So, in a year, Alex and Jo haven't progressed their relationship at all.  April and Jackson were apart and they're only discussing it now?  (I missed 3 episodes so maybe I missed something?).  Owen and Amelia are still?????  These are grown people and I know it's a soap but their lives seem to move at glacial speed.  If I'm a divorced man in his 40's I'm not waiting a year for some bone of "I hope this works out".  Communicate people!  Move it along!

This! I hate that. It makes all of the plot and character moments that take place now, on the other side of the jump, seem forced and unrealistic if a year was to have passed. Like, why are Owen and Amelia still tiptoeing around each other? They broke up a year ago. By Grey's logic that's about half a lifetime. And how in the world are Jackson and April even pretending to function as a couple right now if she was gone for a year and being an avoidant basket case overseas while he was left sad and alone to grieve by himself all by his lonesome that whole time? And really, Webber and Catherine got back together and started seeing each other again and finally got engaged, and all this time they're still communicating with each other the same stubbornly counterproductive way as if nothing ever happened and they didn't deal with life as a couple again for an entire year? And Amelia having a tender, private moment hearing her brother's voice one more time, and Meredith thinking to give her that tender, private moment because it's so painful, would have made more sense if this was, like, a month or two after Derek died. But ... it's over a year. All of these things make sense in the context of 3-4 consecutive episodes, but not when these 3-4 episodes span a year.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 3

I thought that this finale was good considering how awful this season has been.  They crammed a lot of stories into the last two episodes and that made it feel rushed, but this whole season has been so off and so full of fits and starts that I was really glad that some stories got their endings, and yet they left enough open and enough not totally horrible that I am looking forward to season 12.

Jo and Alex are still together, so I'll be there for S12. And they had their own scenes, wow. It was high time that Jo put her foot down re:Meredith lack of boundaries, she had way more patience than I would have. So they're building their dream house, I mean, loft. I see what you did there. Loved the warehouse scene. Alex gets his girl, and his house!

I almost can't believe it, its like the writers read my mind.  I wanted Jo to stand up for herself and actually be part of the equation, I wanted them to move forward together, I wanted an ILY (and it was even acknowledged that it wasn't said offscreen) and I wanted Alex to tell Meredith a little about her selfish self, but I could have used a bit more of that.  And no hint of Alex/Maggie or Alex/Mer!  I loved that they are moving into a shit-hole that looks like a crime scene, its just so fitting.  And above all, it was so nice to hear someone tell Alex that they loved him, without being on their deathbed or having banged a hallucination all season prior!

Merediths utter dislike off Jo and disrespect for her relationship of Alex continues to amaze me.

I'm so glad he's moving out. He may be Meredith person but she for sure couldn't give two fucks about him.

She really is a tool. I have always loved the Mer/Alex relationship, but I am glad that she has her two sisters now to take advantage of, because ugh.  She has totally discounted Alex and his relationship all season long.  I liked her in her other scenes and loved the last shot of Ellen Pompeo, but sorry, the Dead Husband card just doesn't work on me. I didn't hate Maggie or even Amelia that much so that is something.  Bailey, however, desperately needs a reckoning.  And if Catherine is the one to give it to her, then I will gladly grab my popcorn.

I thought that the Jackson/April stuff was great and sad, and I agree that Jackson's scenes really, really worked for me here.  Its the most interesting I have found them as a couple and I'm glad that the fallout of their tragedy isn't just being dropped.  They eloped and quickly got pregnant, then lost a baby, between fights about religion and other heavy stuff.  So it makes sense that things are slowly catching up to them.  I don't think that they are over, but I am excited to see where next season takes them.

Yay for Webber, sort of, but I don't know if it will last unless she moves back to Boston.  She is kind of insufferable.  And while I was surprised that they didn't really hint at a Calzona reunion, I have never liked either character more than I have in the last half of the season, so maybe they just are better apart.  I am also boarding the Alex/Jackson/Ben bromance train.  That loft ain't gonna fix itself.

Overall, this season has really, really tried my patience, but the finale has given me hope that things will be better, if different, next season

• Love 7
(edited)

Unless Amelia buys it. Her brother designed it and worked on it himself. It would make sense. But, that would be showing respect for the character's memory, and I think last night's voice mail may be all we get from here on out.  I mean, she's head of neurosurgery. She should be making serious bank. Maybe not as much as her brother was, since he was THE Derek Shepard, but still, good money. 

If they're staying with Amelia and Owen as a couple, the dream house would make sense for both of them. 

She really is a tool. I have always loved the Mer/Alex relationship, but I am glad that she has her two sisters now to take advantage of, because ugh.  She has totally discounted Alex and his relationship all season long.  I liked her in her other scenes and loved the last shot of Ellen Pompeo, but sorry, the Dead Husband card just doesn't work on me. I didn't hate Maggie or even Amelia that much so that is something.  Bailey, however, desperately needs a reckoning.  And if Catherine is the one to give it to her, then I will gladly grab my popcorn.

THIS. I dislike EVERYTHING about Meredith's treatment of Alex and disregard of his relationship with Jo. And I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the couple. I can take them or leave them. But, Meredith and her, "Hey, I'm moving back into my old house THAT YOU BOUGHT FROM ME AND OWN OUTRIGHT, with my three kids. Your girlfriend won't mind, right?"

And Bailey's little speech last night? Yuck. I binged the entire run of GA from Christmas break until March. I tried to pin point when Bailey went from being cool to being an insufferable NAG. Maybe it was when we lost George. It seemed to happen around the time poor TR Knight got thrown under the Shonda Bus. Last night's speech was just the cherry on the nag sundae. Or maybe it hit me that Bailey was no longer someone I liked, around the time she interrupted that surgery that McSteamy was performing FIFTY FUCKING TIMES. "Respectfully...." Bullshit. 

I realize that Chandra won an Emmy and Emmy noms are few and far between for this show (unless you're Sandra Oh), and that Shonda thinks the character can do NO wrong, but yowza. She is NOT the heart of the hospital. At least not anymore. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1

I'm really happy they didn't break up Alex/Jo even though they aren't safe since no one is on this show. It was nice to see someone finally acknowledge that can live without roommates. Plus I like the fact Jo showed Alex how much he means to her by buying the loft. I think coming from her background that means a lot.

• Love 3

Unless Amelia buys it. Her brother designed it and worked on it himself. It would make sense. 

Karin Gleason said last night on twitter that they "need the space to built other sets." They're definitely getting rid of the house. And I really, really hate that. 

• Love 3

THIS. I dislike EVERYTHING about Meredith's treatment of Alex and disregard of his relationship with Jo. And I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the couple. I can take them or leave them. But, Meredith and her, "Hey, I'm moving back into my old house THAT YOU BOUGHT FROM ME AND OWN OUTRIGHT, with my three kids. Your girlfriend won't mind, right?"

Not only that but "What's that you say Alex, your three year relationship, the only healthy one you have ever known, may be unraveling? Great! Let's see how I can turn that to my advantage.". Oh that Meredith Grey, YOU KNOW HOW SHE GETS!

• Love 4

Meredith's attitude was a big reason I'm glad Alex and Jo are moving out. She doesn't respect Alex's relationship and she's always going to view the house as hers. Her "Oh is Jo moving out" and then assigning rooms was ridiculous. How many rooms is the house supposed to have anyway? I was imagining the three kids stuck in the attic.
  • Love 2

Poor Meredith: She's going to have to raise her own children, rather than have Alex do it.  She's going to have to quit thinking that 'her person' is not supposed to have a life of their own, as if they were a 18th century British servant.   Not only does she think that a childless dating couple WANTS to live with 3 children, she then wants to invite Amelia to live in the house also.   Who's  next, Maggie?   It's been a year (supposedly), you took your children away and managed to raise them while you were in the worst stages of grief, 9 months pregnant, so do it now.

I don't know how Richard and Catherine would ever get by without the speech from Meredith.  And, look, just one speech, and they are off and running. They are surgeons, they are reminded how short life is every day.... but Meredith is their savior. Meanwhile, she is ripping Alex and Jo apart.  Guess they don't meet with her approval.  

I happen to like THIS Bailey, the one from the first couple seasons.  So glad to have her back. 

I am in agreement with those that think the time jump did no one well.  You just had to have Meredith pregnant, so you needed a year.  No, you didn't.  She didn't need to be pregnant at all. 

• Love 3

WARNING: This is a very long post.

I’m very pissed and I need to vent so here it goes.

First I wanna talk about the voicemail. I enjoyed watching that scene because 1) It’s good to see Patrick again and 2) I’ve been expecting this scene forever, but I wanted it to be about Meredith and Derek, not about Amelia and Owen. I mean, come on! Derek was telling Mere how much he loved her and they made that scene about Amelia?! Why? I wanted to see Mere listening to the damn voicemail and having a breakdown, not Amelia and Owen bonding over that. I’m so freaking mad.
Now I wanna talk about Mere and Amelia. Guys, come on, last week Amelia was yelling at Meredith and later that day she was fine again. That doesn’t make any sense! She would be upset for a long time, she wouldn’t even look at Mere after that discussion. Why did they show us that scene if later that day Amelia would be back to loving Meredith? I don’t get it.

I liked Jolex in this episode and I totally understand Jo, although I wouldn’t want to live in a place like that. But the scene was sweet and I’m glad they didn’t break up.

I see there are some people mad at Meredith because she doesn’t respect Alex’s relationship with Jo, but I blame the writers for that. Meredith used to be very supportive of him ages ago and I don’t understand why they changed that. Remember when she told him he was nothing like his father? Remember when nobody liked him and she did? Remember when she gave up her wedding so he could get married to Izzie? I do, and I don’t like how they changed that this season. I’m still pissed she didn’t vote for him to become part of the Board. I hate how the writers made Alex become her person just so he could cheer her up. It wasn’t like that with Cristina. Cristina and Mere both supported each other, while Alex is just Meredith’s cheerleader. She doesn’t treat him as her equal and I hate it.

As for Japril I’m 100% by Jackson’s side. April abandoned him and ran from her responsabilities as his wife and that is not okay. He lost a baby too and he was as sad as she was. Let’s see how they will work this out next season. This is the first time they get a storyline that I find interesting, so I’m looking foward to that. Oh, and April and Arizona’s friendship is the cutest thing.

I’m not the biggest Calzona shipper but I wanted to see more of them. I think they’ll get back together eventually, but the fans were expecting so much from this episode and I felt sorry for them.

I have a hard time enjoying Bailey now. I used to like her a lot, but now most of the time I find her insufferable. Plus, overconfident Bailey is quite annoying.

Webber and Catherine please stop. How is it possible to be so freaking annoying all the time? I hate this! It’s a waste of time.

The thing that is driving me crazy is the fact that Meredith is selling the dreamhouse. Derek built that damn house for them. It was his dream! I understand that she doesn’t want to live there alone, but why sell the house? She could just rent it. He spent, I don’t know, 7 or 8 seasons planning that house and then she’ll get rid of it like it was nothing?! I’m sorry but she’s been living there for what, 3 years already? She was supposed to feel like home now and in my opinion going back to her old house is not moving forward with her life. I guess Shondaland wants to get rid of the house not only for more space to build more sets, but also because of the shitty CGI that they use there. That house is full of green screens and most of the time we can see it. I guess ABC is cutting a lot of budget.

As for Maggie, I think it’s a little dumb that she’s that sad because her parents are getting a divorce, I mean she's not a little child, but I like how Mere supported her and I love the fact that they are bonding. I’m really looking forward to seeing them growing together next season.

The last subject I want to address is the fact that NOBODY TAKES CARE OF THEIR CHILDREN! Meredith freaking Grey has 3 freaking children and where were all these children last night?! Same goes to Callie, Arizona and Bailey! Apparently the hospital daycare works 24/7 so they just forget the kids there and move along with their lives. I don’t even know why I try to make sense of this damn show.

I am in agreement with those that think the time jump did no one well.  You just had to have Meredith pregnant, so you needed a year.  No, you didn't.  She didn't need to be pregnant at all.

YES! 100% this!

• Love 2

I was happy with it. After a crappy year with stalled and choppy storylines this episode at least gave some story to characters and sets up a clean start for next season. I got everything I wanted to see for Jo and Alex this season even if it was very condensed into one episode. Jo and Alex having their own place that never had any connection to Meredith is the absolute best part.

Meredith proved once again how she clearly does not give a shit about Alex's life at all. Its all about her, always has been, always will be. Jo moving out? Her only comment was that Amelia can move in. She had no trouble consoling Maggie over her parent's divorce, telling her she should always talk to her. She had no trouble giving a shit if Richard and Catherine married though. Good, let Richard and Catherine be her "people". She can go crawl into bed with them in the middle of the night.

Her "Oh is Jo moving out" and then assigning rooms was ridiculous. How many rooms is the house supposed to have anyway? I was imagining the three kids stuck in the attic.

Exactly, how can the house even accommodate that many people? One room for Alex, one for Arizona, one for Meredith. The 3 kids would either have to share the attic or they would have to convert other spaces in the house for the kids. I'm sure Meredith had a renovation plan to take over the whole house and have Alex sleeping outside in a tent and evicting Arizona. 

I honestly don't understand why she would want to move back into that house. She shared that house with Derek for longer than the dreamhouse. Its the house she first brought him home to, the house they fell in love in, the house where they moved in together, the house where they were engaged, got post-it married, real married, adopted Zola, etc. How are there less memories of Derek there? Add to it her sister died while living there as did her dead husband's best friend and her friend George. It would be a big stretch but I could maybe see it if the house was filled with happy childhood memories for her and she wanted those for her kids. But it didn't. Her father left, her mother tried to kill herself and she was gone from there by age 5. If she doesn't want to live in the dreamhouse she should be looking for a new house for she and her kids to build their new life together. She uprooted the kids to move them to San Diego, moved them back and is now moving them again, all in just over a year. Poor kids.

I was happy to see follow up with April & Jackson. I'm actually (surprisingly) interested in watching them work through it next season. 

I did like that Meredith gave Amelia the phone to listen to. It was kind, a way to give Amelia a way to hear Derek one last time to gain some closure since she didn't have the change to say goodbye.

• Love 6
(edited)

I honestly don't understand why she would want to move back into that house. She shared that house with Derek for longer than the dreamhouse. Its the house she first brought him home to, the house they fell in love in, the house where they moved in together, the house where they were engaged, got post-it married, real married, adopted Zola, etc. How are there less memories of Derek there? Add to it her sister died while living there as did her dead husband's best friend and her friend George. It would be a big stretch but I could maybe see it if the house was filled with happy childhood memories for her and she wanted those for her kids. But it didn't. Her father left, her mother tried to kill herself and she was gone from there by age 5. If she doesn't want to live in the dreamhouse she should be looking for a new house for she and her kids to build their new life together. She uprooted the kids to move them to San Diego, moved them back and is now moving them again, all in just over a year. Poor kids.

I was just coming to post this exact same thought almost word for word.  I can maybe get on board with Meredith not wanting to live in the dreamhouse any more, after all it really was Derek's dreamhouse and not hers so i can see the memories being painful.  However, it makes absolutely no sense for her to move back into her childhood home where her and Derek shared way more memories.  

This whole thing annoys me because it seems like they wanted to get rid of the set and just created a plot around it, rather than developing organic storylines.

And actually this is essentially my problem the whole back half of this season.  GA used to weave stories so well.  This season feels like a bunch of random different stories just thrown together around various plot devices (ie- time jump, condensing sets, etc)

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 5

I can totally understand Mer wanting to sell the dreamhouse. The dream house is Derek, it was his creation. Also, logistically, being sometimes on call at the hospital while your house is a ferry boat and drive away is a bad idea; she needs to live closer to the hospital. But having her sell or rent the dream house and having Meredith being the one with new space (not Alex and Jo) makes more sense than her moving back into the frathouse, with its constantly changing number of rooms (I swear there were times when more than three people had bedrooms, yet sometimes space is an issue). I like Alex and Jo making a fresh start in their own private space, but if the producers had to get rid of some sets to create new space, why not sell both of the houses and have loft+Grey-Shepard land be new sets? 

As much as I loved seeing good dance moves from the principal characters, I was especially pleased to see some bad dancing among the extras. No wedding reception is complete without some dude doing the "white man overbite" style of dancing.

• Love 2
(edited)

My gosh, Richard married that awful b.......h. He´ll regret it deeply.

Dance it out - oh my, how they dumped Cristina in that scene. That was supposed to be Mertina thing. Forever.

And we see and hear heartfelt message from Derek to Mer and their kids listened to by Amelia and Owen.  OK.  Lunatic writing.

The best scene for me Derek on the ferry. Nothing compares.

Jolex moving in together and Alex selling the house back to Mer - how long will it last?? Till the premiere?

OA sitting on MerDer bed casually,if it was scripted or directed we will never know but you see there is no respect from anyone on that show to what this marriage was about.

Who is the other candidate for the Chief? The only curious thing about the finale for me.

Maggie is a little bit childish to me,crying like a ten-year-old kid. She should be more mature and take things as they are. Also her crying  during the surgery,how on earth did she manage not to kill the patient or why was she not substituted? All these personal talks during surgeries,also Amelia CRAP about naked men amidst a life threatening surgery,idiocy,nothing but idiocy.

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan
  • Love 1

Enough with "the sun" talk, Shonda.  We get it.  And if you insist on going on about "the sun" and being "the sun" and "standing in the sun," perhaps you should contain it to only one of your shows instead of having both your protagonists go on about it in back-to-back shows.  It's starting to grate.

• Love 4

I rarely agree with Bailey these days, but I did agree with her when she was commenting on liking the "new Kepner".  When April was standing up on that trailer by the smashed car, she looked large and in-charge.  Very un-Kepner.  I do agree with those who say that she's using the military adrenalin trip to avoid her pain, but I much prefer Army April to Tickle-Me-GiggleKepner.  

• Love 3
(edited)

+1 to everything Deanie87 posted.

A-freaking-men that Jo finally stood up for herself and for Alex finally telling Meredith she's a tool. I've been waiting every week through this wretched season for that to happen.

I don't believe that for even a split second. Grey's is a top 10 show. Shonda would have zero reason to believe ABC wasn't picking it up. I do agree its a reboot of sorts, mostly for Meredith. Maybe Meredith 2.0 will be less of a bitch.

It may not be for Alex & Jo's warehouse. They'll also need somewhere for Richard & Catherine to live, for April or Jackson if they do indeed split for awhile, for Amelia if she doesn't move in with Meredith, we've never seen where Stephanie lives and then there's the new interns.  There's Owen too. If Meredith sells the house then either he finds a new place or he's parking the trailer in the backyard of Alex's/soon to be Meredith's again house. She can set up a mini trailer park in the back for everyone she wants to live there hahaha.

OA sitting on MerDer bed casually,if it was scripted or directed we will never know but you see there is no respect from anyone on that show to what this marriage was about.

Actors have marks on the stage and all the cameras and lighting are set prior to the filming of the scene. The actors didn't just stroll over and sit down, it would have been in the script. And, weren't they sitting on the bench at the foot of the bed anyway?

All these personal talks during surgeries

Cause that hasn't been going on for 11 seasons or anything.

I will be back for the start of season 12 to see where it goes. It was choppy at the end but I'm glad for leap forward and getting everyone ready to move on. 

Edited by maasa
(edited)

Hell yes, Meredith could rent out the Dream house. Let's face it, it's big, it's adjacent to woods and close to water, has huge windows-- that's not a house, that's a lodge! Shepherd Lodge: Rustic Luxury with a Northwestern Feel. Let a professional manager take charge of it and charge a premium price.

In fact, give it a spinoff. Who's coming to Shepherd Lodge this week? A stereotypical irish writer who finds the late winter gloom inspirational? Some yuppy weekend warriors who want to be hunters but sleep in real beds at night? The cast of some well loved 80's sitcom? How about a retreat for television writers to share their hurt feelings over fans who say nasty things about them on internet forums?

Also, Jo buying the loft makes sense to me. There's no way she and Alex could redecorate Chateau Ellis enough to really make it theirs. And Alex is just the kind to enjoy some do it yourself freestyle furnishing. Carpet, TV, beanbag, portrait of Catherine Avery covering one wall with a box of darts close to hand-- living room area's done.

Edited by dr pepper
  • Love 4

Hell yes, Meredith could rent out the Dream house. Let's face it, it's big, it's adjacent to woods and close to water, has huge windows-- that's not a house, that's a lodge! Shepherd Lodge: Rustic Luxury with a Northwestern Feel. Let a professional manager take charge of it and charge a premium price.

In fact, give it a spinoff. Who's coming to Shepherd Lodge this week? A stereotypical irish writer who finds the late winter gloom inspirational? Some yuppy weekend warriors who want to be hunters but sleep in real beds at night? The cast of some well loved 80's sitcom? How about a retreat for television writers to share their hurt feelings over fans who say nasty things about them on internet forums?

It's Hotel Meets Murder She Wrote! Barbie Benton and Diana Canova are contacting their agents as we speak!

(I hope someone else knows what I'm talking about and I hope both actresses are still alive!)

• Love 7

Is Bob Newhart still alive? He could stay there while writing a visitor's guide called Wild and Wonderful Washington.

OMG!! A Peter Scholari/Julia Duffy reunion would make my life! I will now cease with the 80s show references.

• Love 2

I feel really dumb because I thought Meredith talking at the end about how this is what Derek would have wanted for the house yada yada yada was meant to indicate she wasn't going to sell it. Unless they were at the old house? Is it sad that this is the part of the episode I'm most concerned about...

I'm sad about Jackson and April.  At this point, they are the only couple I like.  Owen/Amelia - yawn.  Callie/Arizona - been there, done it a dozen times.  Bailey/Ben - still don't understand why they're together.  Alex/Jo - I still don't like them together.  Maybe because there's a thirteen year age difference in the actors.  She seems too immature, and they are really in different places in their lives.  Alex is ready for marriage and kids, and Jo just isn't - she's ready for her first apartment, like a twenty year old. 

I guess it's nice that Alex and Jo will have their own place, but I don't think Alex will be happy there.  He likes living in a house with friends, and doesn't seem to care about the lack of privacy.  He's probably going to hang out at Meredith's house anyway.

She really is a tool. I have always loved the Mer/Alex relationship, but I am glad that she has her two sisters now to take advantage of, because ugh.  She has totally discounted Alex and his relationship all season long.  I liked her in her other scenes and loved the last shot of Ellen Pompeo, but sorry, the Dead Husband card just doesn't work on me.

Alex set the standard by allowing Meredith to get away with this behavior for years.  Why should she respect Jo more than her own boyfriend does?  Alex had no problem with Meredith kicking Jo out of his bed.  He has no problem with Meredith hanging out, and even living there.  And for a supposed tough foster kid who lived in her car, Jo is gutless about the whole thing.  Therefore, in theory I feel bad about Jo's treatment, but if Jo and Alex care so little about it, I don't either.  Besides, she's still a newbie, and one of "them".  I don't think I'll ever warm to her.

And in a world where Maggie is having a break down because her parents are divorcing (although alive and healthy), losing the love of your life tragically, and raising three pre-school children without him is a big deal, and will be for a while.

• Love 2

That was an awfully meh episode to me.

I didn't like the "dancing it out" at the end.  That's Meredith's and Cristina's thing and it felt like the show was just trying to replace Cristina with Maggie and Amelia, and it's not going to work.  It just shows how anemic this show has become.

I can understand Meredith wanting to move back to her old house, like a wounded animal moving back into her burrow.  I question whether she's just running away from dealing with Derek's death again.  If this show didn't have the worst therapists on TV, I'd suggest she go back into therapy. Maybe Worf from Castle can pay her a visit.

I really hate time jumps.  It's been a year, right?  So, in a year, Alex and Jo haven't progressed their relationship at all.  April and Jackson were apart and they're only discussing it now?  (I missed 3 episodes so maybe I missed something?).  Owen and Amelia are still?????  These are grown people and I know it's a soap but their lives seem to move at glacial speed.  If I'm a divorced man in his 40's I'm not waiting a year for some bone of "I hope this works out".  Communicate people!  Move it along!

Owen was the one who dumped Amelia., then he took off to from war zone with April for 9 months.  It looks like he's regretting the dumping now though.  I like them as a couple but there doesn't seem to be any story to be told other than contrived melodrama.

I like this new competent April but geez woman, what did you expect? That Jackson was going to wait, mourning alone for two years while you went off and buried your sadness in adrenalin?

Still, I prefer April to Bailey, who has now become insufferable and smug, and Catherine, who is like Bailey x10.  If she's going to be a regular on the show next season, I may have to reconsider watching because right now, she's horrible. I can't imagine how Jackson turned out so well with her for a mother.

• Love 1