Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E20: The Deconstruction

I just love RD. His delivery of the "soft hearted liberal in her natural habitat" line was so funny.

I KNEW Kalinda wasnt stupid enough to leave that "flashdrive was improperly ejected" screen open. OMG I loveee Kalinda. Her scene with Cary just broke my heart.

And of course one of Kalinda's last good deeds was to help Alicia.

OMG...Kalinda leaving tore me up more

Derek dying on Grey's Anatomy

. I can't believe she's gone. Nice callback to her stash in the wall from seasons ago though. Im just glad she wasnt killed by Lamont. What I want tk know is if Kalinda's sudden absense be something thats brought up or will the rest of the characters ignore it?

• Love 6

Anyone else want to know what was in that note?...and I guess there was NO final scene between Alicia and Kalinda?

Who would have thought I would be rooting for Peter in all this? Although, if Christine Baranski doesn't get her own show out of this mess, I will be surprised. She's the only reason I keep watching.

• Love 4
I KNEW Kalinda wasnt stupid enough to leave that "flashdrive was improperly ejected" screen open.

What?  Didn't she, though?

I would think the note was something like, I'm leaving, and I'm sorry.  (??)

• Love 1

I didn't think it was so bad, actually I thought it was a kinda nice exit, and it was cool Kalinda/Archie got to say goodbye to the audience who always supported her when the writers and Julianna Margulies (allegedly and obviously) did not.  It was a mysterious exit for a mysterious character, certainly better than her getting murdered or tearful goodbyes.

• Love 11

I couldn't keep my wires uncrossed.  I forgot all the election chicanery and kept thinking the reason it was so satisfying watching Alicia brought low was because she refused to be in scenes with Kalinda.

'Bye, Kalinda.  You were just the right amount of magic.

• Love 8

I guess there was NO final scene between Alicia and Kalinda?

That was such an epic troll to the fans who've noticed no scenes with Alicia, that all I could do was bust out laughing when it turned out that Kalinda left before Alicia got home!

Very nice that Kalinda/Archie got to say goodbye to us.

Next troll will be that we never get to see what was in the note.

• Love 6

I thought that the episode was good, except I really don't get how this all fits in with the show only having one season left. There's not a lot of time to write her redemption arc. I mean, I guess a season could be enough. Perhaps a time jump? A time jump would definitely help. 

Totally lackluster episode.  The premise of TCOTW was interesting, but the way they told it didn't do anything for me.  Meh about seeing Linda Lavin again (though I wondered what happened to her arm).

Really, show?  Kalinda's last episode, after being with the show from the beginning, and that was the best you could do?  You were once a very compelling character.  Good for AP for getting out of this downward spiral. 

Can anyone here shed some light as to why JM and AP have not been in a single scene together in ages?  I've heard speculation, but idk if there is a definitive answer.

My mind kept wandering during this episode (groceries to p/u, tomorrow is trash day, etc.).  This show used to be so gripping.  It's sad what's happened to it. 

• Love 3

The who is going to be partner at a law firm thing just keeps going in circles.  Yawn.

Did it dawn on any of these idiots that Bishop might have ALL of them killed just to make sure he got the rat?

• Love 8

It was a mysterious exit for a mysterious character, certainly better than her getting murdered or tearful goodbyes.

I thought it was appropriate too. And melancholy was the right tone, no tears. Just simply vanish. I guess it was my series finale too.

• Love 1

Oh Kalinda. I hoped she would have one last scene with Alicia, but the note was something.

I thought it was a good enough episode, but I was hoping for more in Kalinda`s last hurrah. This just didn't feel as special as I thought it should.

Matt Czuchry is so freaking good. His face when he realized Kalinda had left was the most affecting part of the episode.

I continue to dig Peter/Alicia.  

At least Kalinda didn't die in a pointless car accident due to spotty cell phone reception. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 16

The law firm back and forth was really tiring, although it is fun to watch David Lee be such a devious asshole.

Why did rich GOP dude leave a liberal firm where he wanted a low profile anyway, and where he knew a Florrick worked and was not scandal-free? I don't buy it, and I don't buy that suddenly, all sorts of high-flying wealthy corporate folks in Chicago are saying, "What? There are shady lawyers and politicians here? Well I am just not having any of it. Good day to you all!" I mean sure, they're sick of this shit but if they have good lawyers then they should be happy. 

At least Colin Sweeney will always love Alicia.

• Love 7

That felt like a series finale to me. I was surprised when they said there are two more episodes this season. I guess for me, the show has deteriorated so much, seeing Kalinda go brought up all the other elements I used to love about the show, which are now gone, and she was finally doing something other than fucking for evidence, it made me even more nostalgic.

One thing I do still like about the show is that it highlights many ways the system is corrupt and/or stupid as hell. This week it was the sentencing stuff. But they do it a lot. Most lawyer and crime shows try to sell the idea that justice is always done, the system is fair, and the people who work in it are heroes.

• Love 4

Did it dawn on any of these idiots that Bishop might have ALL of them killed just to make sure he got the rat?

that's too brazen a move, the guy wants to retire, a mass slaughter of his former lawyers isn't going to help that.

Edited by MrWhyt
  • Love 1

Sucks to be Dylan Bishop. Gets an A in algebra, but dad won't be home anymore. Was hoping Kalinda would pick him up on her way out of town.

Guess Alicia's going to now write a book? Whatever.

I laughed out loud at Sweeney staying loyal to her. That was funny.

And hooray for Reg E. Cathay as the guest judge. He's one of my favorite House of Cards characters.

• Love 3

Wow Kalinda, so you think the best way to get out of it was to frame Dexter and set him up to get killed? Nice.

I think it was just a stall tactic to she could get to a safe place.  She knew they'd eventually figure out it was her.  And that's why she left.  

Oh, and also tired of the show.  

• Love 4

Is anyone wondering about the preview for next week's show with Louis Canning looking like he's going batshit crazy on someone saying, "I will tear you three apart until there is nothing left."? I'm wondering if he's going to support Alicia and go against the trinity?

• Love 1

Wow Kalinda, so you think the best way to get out of it was to frame Dexter and set him up to get killed? Nice.

I think it was just a stall tactic to she could get to a safe place.  She knew they'd eventually figure out it was her.  And that's why she left.

I don't think Kalinda saw it that way hannah8976.  I do believe she decided to frame Dexter and that would be the end of it.  In her mind Dexter was collateral damage in order for her friends to be safe.  Where her plan failed was that Geneva Pine acted lightning fast and Kalinda's plan all fell apart.  Bishop was picked up before he could have Dexter killed.  That action then led Dexter to seek out Kalinda to get answers, and then Cary blew it all out of the water by trying to take credit for turning on Bishop which then led Dexter to realize Kalinda was the one who set him up.

Is anyone wondering about the preview for next week's show with Louis Canning looking like he's going batshit crazy on someone saying, "I will tear you three apart until there is nothing left."? I'm wondering if he's going to support Alicia and go against the trinity?

Well we have to remember that Canning has been after Alicia since his debut to join her firm.  I'm guessing that he makes her an offer and she rebuffs him and then will end up leaving Alicia his firm when he dies.  As for the angry confrontation, I could totally buy him being upset that Alicia's friends stabbed her in the back just to keep a new client happy.

I'll be the unpopular one here, but Julianna Marguiles is a bitch in that we couldn't even get a proper goodbye for Kalinda and Alicia.  I buy the rumors that there was a feud between them, one-sided or not.  I don't believe that JM mandated that Alicia wouldn't be friends w/ Kalinda any longer b/c she couldn't forgive her for her past w/ Peter b/c I have been watching reruns of season 3 and Alicia and Kalinda were becoming friendly again and sharing screen-time.  I'm not sure I can watch JM in another role after this series b/c of this.  I really think giving an actor and executive producer credit/power is a huge mistake on any show or movie.

• Love 14

I think the trinity are going to go against him in some way and Canning is going end up running a firm and Alicia will be working for / with him.  That is the combination of lawyers I was expecting to happen before the game of musical chairs.

If the letter was a goodbye, then we'll never know anything. I half suspect that its some kind of blackmail / leverage for Alicia to use to begin to rebuild.

• Love 1

So, I was totally planning on watching the season finale to see how the show wrote off Kalinda, but apparently THAT plan has been foiled. So: if I pretty much only care about Kalinda being awesome and emotional, what parts of this episode should I try to watch tomorrow when CBS puts the episode up? I gather AP got to say goodbye at the tag end of the episode, so that I'll definitely watch, but what else?

(Bear in mind that I haven't watched the show in 2 seasons so stuff that is incidental only to this season's plot won't really mean anything to me....)

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1
I gather AP got to say goodbye at the tag end of the episode,

What? Did I turn the TV off too soon? I missed this. Damn.

Kalinda wasn't really that emotional, I don't think. She was in stoic mode. No elevator breakdowns or anything like that.

• Love 1

It's not the tag at the end.  It's when Grace says goodbye to Kalinda.  Kalinda was on her way out the door, and turned around and spoke directly to the camera (audience) and said "Goodbye".  Theoretically to Grace, but it was clear they set the shot up so she'd be speaking directly to the audience.

• Love 7

I gather AP got to say goodbye at the tag end of the episode, so that I'll definitely watch, but what else?

What? Did I turn the TV off too soon? I missed this. Damn.

Kalinda's storyline ended at what I think was 45 min into the episode.  There was no tag featuring Kalinda.  Kalinda said goodbye to Grace and by extension us the viewers and that was the last she graced our television screens.  

It looks like pennben and I both answered the question in regards to Kalinda saying goodbye.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 3

So, Kalinda's last scene was with . . . Grace?  WTF? Had those two characters ever been in a scene by themselves before?  

Actually, yes, they have. It's what led to Kalinda and Alicia beginning to reconcile in S3. Grace disappeared and Kalinda found her in a church being baptized and brought her home. When Alicia found out Kalinda was the one who brought Grace home, she started working with her again, and then they became friends again. Until the friendship disappeared offscreen thanks to JM refusing to be on the same set as AP ever again, of course. I can't decide whether I think it's hilarious or infuriating that JM wouldn't relax that edict even for one token scene for AP's departure. A year ago I would've said infuriating for sure, now I'm kind of leaning towards hilarious just because that whole thing went on for so long that I went through all the stages from denial to anger to acceptance.

I'll be curious to see whether there continues to be total silence from JM in the press about AP's exit. She said not a word in all the media that followed the announcement of AP's exit, unlike the Kings and Matt Czuchry and Christine Baranski and AP herself, and now that Kalinda's been written off there'll surely be another spate of media about it.

• Love 6

It occurred to me that I don't really care about any of the characters and will probably be done with this show at the end of the season.  It's enough already.

Now that Kalinda has moved on, maybe Robin will return.  Remember her?  The employee who just seemed to disappear into thin air and was never mentioned again?

• Love 2

I actually thought the initial "Alicia is leaving the firm" was more conniving by David Lee, especially when we saw him on the phone again with the same client ("SOrry, I got it wrong the other day"...)..  I believed it all the way until Kalinda said that Diane had actually been the one to tell the client that Alicia was leaving, before they knew Alicia's plans. 

So, Kalinda did screw up and forget to eject the flashdrive properly?  Some posters above seemed to think it was intentional, but it looked like an error to me.  It was crummy to try to pin it on Dexter. 

Who is going to take care of Bishop's son?  I did not see any social workers at the arrest. 

That looked like the exit for Kalinda to me. She looked right at the camera and said good-bye. It really seemed the entire shot and direction of it to be for the viewers at home.

Not surprised Kalinda and Alicia never shared a scene.

Peter seems to treat Alicia better than she deserves. 

• Love 1

Matt Czuchry is so freaking good. His face when he realized Kalinda had left was the most affecting part of the episode.

Agreed! MC has been killing it this year. His quiet grief was really effective. I'm still worried about Cary, though. When he was sitting in her apartment at the end and the lighting was so gloomy, I was afraid Dexter was going to show up and finish him off. 

I don't think this is the exit for Kalinda. Archie Panjabi was still on set filming Episode 22.

I'd like to think that, but AP tweeted a picture of her last scene with MC, and she was wearing the same clothes as tonight. I guess it's possible she just doesn't interact with Cary again, or that it was a deliberate feint, but between that and the tone of tonight's episode, I'm pretty sure she's gone.

So, Kalinda did screw up and forget to eject the flashdrive properly?  Some posters above seemed to think it was intentional, but it looked like an error to me.  It was crummy to try to pin it on Dexter.

I don't think it was her original intention, but when the files were still copying and Lemond showed up, she had to come up with a Plan B. Since she didn't have time to cover her tracks completely, she "hid in plain sight" by leaving the evidence, but pointing it toward someone else. I'd feel worse for Dexter if he weren't a drug dealer. ;-)

If AP were any other actress on any other show, I'd think they at least left the door open for her to come back in the finale, or maybe earlier if her new show doesn't work out. But we all know that ain't gonna happen...

• Love 2

Its funny how Geneva just magically got everything set up for Bishop so fast that Dexter was in a tailspin. However, if Bishop wanted him dead I think Dexter would have been more worried keeping a low profile than going to where he knew people would look for him. I agree this was the best way to take care of Bishop and get Geneva to just shut up finally. I do enjoy how the way everyone was going no one once set: "I'm sorry, we are lawyers and we can't give away privileged information on our clients." "Its one of the first questions on the bar. Didn't you take it?" Horrible exit for Kalinda and the COTW was really flat and could have been interesting but it just wasn't. Also, RJ turning tails because Alicia was coming back to the firm and didn't want to be around associations with the scandals. I'm sorry have you lived in Illinois or been around for the last 40 years? It wasn't just Blagojevich and Ryan there were many, many more on both sides of the parties. I don't get even in modern times how politicians keep acting like no one has ever been caught in a scandal in any state over the stupidest or most public of reasons. Of course in politics its: "Lalalala, can't hear you, I'm right and you are wrong." 

Edited by readster
  • Love 2

I thought the flashdrive thing was totally intentional because its obvious her plan all along was to frame Dexter. Her telling Lamont that she saw Dexter at the house doesnt mean much in general. But leaving that "improperly ejected" screen up is what made Lamont suspicious, and when his tech guy looked into it they saw it was Dexter's flashdrive.

I just refuse to believe that Kalinda would be so reckless otherwise.

Also agree with the poster upthread would said Geneva moved too quickly (which I guess is kind of fitting that for the whole series Kalinda has screwed Geneva out of winning cases and on the last day Geneva might win a case by screwing Kalinda)....Anyway I think that and Cary opening his mouth messed things up for her.

I too would like to know whats in the note but, if they didnt show it to us right then and there Im not holding out any hope we'll ever find out. I dont think it was anything long, but at the same time what the hell could it be for Alicia to break down like that?

I knew it would be too much to ask for Kalinda and Alicia to actually share a scene and im fine with that. They spent the last couple of seasons on their own island so thats how it is I guess. I actually liked Kalinda strolling down memory lane by looking at some of Alicia's pictures instead.

I think the fact that Kalinda/AP's last scene was at Alicia's apartment with Grace really highlights the power JM seems to wield. They couldnt have the actual scene with Alicia, so the next best thing is her apartment, her personal space (vs an office) and with her daughter.

• Love 1
At least Colin Sweeney will always love Alicia.

That actually made me laugh. And it was a welcome light note in a very somber episode.

I found Kalinda/Archie's directly addressing the camera to be very affecting. The character and actress have been poorly used over the past few seasons, but I think it was a nice touch to allow her to say good-bye not just to the people in the world of the show, but also to her fans out in the audience.

That being said, I'm pretty disappointed at how easy it turned out to be to take down Lemond Bishop. I don't personally know any drug kingpins, but I imagine that, if you're going to be at the top of the Chicago drug trade and constantly under scrutiny by law enforcement, you'd be a little more devious, maybe, in your record keeping? This was basically the equivalent of having a big manila file labeled "Incriminating evidence about my illegal activities," with the business about the stolen flash drive and digital thumbprint making it seem like the plot was more complex than it was.

And I imagine, with his arrest, this is the last we'll see of Lemond Bishop? That makes me sad. I'll miss your natty suits and air of menace, sir.

On the plus side, bringing back Linda Lavin AND having her call him "Lemon-d Bishop"? Wonderful.

ETA: Who was the actor playing the judge in this week's trial? His voice is amazing. In fact, I was so intent on listening to him speak that I didn't realize until this moment that we finally have a judge without a quirk. That's almost unprecedented.

Edited by swimmyfish
  • Love 8

I just feel like they're ruining this show this season.  First, it was the whole "Alicia runs for office" story, then the "Cary is framed for crimes he didn't commit" story.  Tonight, they ended the political story with a scandal that Alicia was innocent of, then she was back in/out/back in/out again of her own law firm.  And now the firm is called Lockhart, Agos, and Lee?

They seem to spend a lot of time this season moving the pieces (characters) all around the board, but without having any idea where they want them to end up.  Kind of like when my sister and I were learning to play chess when we were kids.  Are they planning ahead for this show beyond the next episode, or are they just trying to load up every episode with as much "gotcha" stuff as possible?

I'm starting to dread Sundays at 9:00 (or 9:18, or 9:22, or 9:31, or.....whenever).

• Love 5

I really agree with the Onion AV review take on the Kalinda exit.

As for the letter and Alicia’s reaction. I guess we’re supposed to assume Alicia’s emotional reaction at the end was because of the letter and Kalinda leaving? To me the scene was ambiguous. I felt Alicia cast the letter aside like immediately after glancing at it, pretty much how Kalinda has been shoved aside. (Very hard not to see this is symbolic of the actresses too!) Her collapse after- was it because of Kalinda, or just the state of her life in general? As I said it seemed ambiguous to me.

I suppose I find it hard to believe Alicia would be that upset, after months (years?) of little on show interaction with Kalinda. 

I didn’t really like the flashbacks. The ‘memory’ of Kalinda taking a picture while Kalinda held up the folder with her name, was new I think, and it seemed clear to me the actresses were shot at different times.

I hope the Good Wife ends with Alicia alone with Colin Sweeney. 

I hope Archie’s new show is a success.

Like the poster above, not sure I would watch JM in another show.

• Love 10

This firm must spend so much damn money on new letterhead and new wall signs that it's no wonder they can't afford to lose clients.

Edited by marny
  • Love 16

Like I said before, I can't believe that Alicia's unproven scandal would be the tipping point for all of those clients. And I don't think the show is going to have a show about Alicia hanging out in her condo, writing her memoirs. At its heart, this show is about lawyers, (specifically, well-rested lawyers who look great) so I'm sure the partners will bring her back in and she'll be back in the courtroom in no time.

• Love 1

This firm must spend so much damn money on new letterhead and new wall signs that it's no wonder they can't afford to lose clients.

Not to mention the poor receptionists!  "Good morning, Florrick, Agos, what's our name now?"

They probably have the firm's name taped to the phone by now.

• Love 8
I'd like to think that, but AP tweeted a picture of her last scene with MC, and she was wearing the same clothes as tonight. I guess it's possible she just doesn't interact with Cary again, or that it was a deliberate feint, but between that and the tone of tonight's episode, I'm pretty sure she's gone.

The next two episodes will apparently feature flashbacks to 2009, so Kalinda will probably appear in those--carefully filmed to avoid the pain and horror of JM's having to be on set with AP.

• Love 8

I don't want to rehash it if it's been covered, but could someone enlighten me on the disagreement/on set tensions between JM & Archie? Or tell me what forum/link to look for to read about it?  I see it mentioned often but I can't find the origins of what's it about and when it started.  Thanks!

It's amazing that they couldn't even do a phone call between Kalinda and Alicia for this episode. I suppose JM was fine with saying lines that had to do with the law firm, but a goodbye would've consisted of somewhat of personal lines (especially since on the show the friendship was never actually ended - it just vanished offscreen), and clearly that would've just been a bridge too far for JM.

Jennifer Carpenter divorced Michael C. Hall for cheating on her multiple times and yet they continued to work onscreen together up to the last. JM looks completely and ridiculously unprofessional.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 14