Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E09: Can I Get A Hot Tub

• Start Topic

Well, thanks to that preview of the rest of the season I knew that Matt and Ashley would survive in some way since It stood out for me the scene of them with the potatos (from next week).

Actually when was the last time we didnt have a NEL with the final 4?

Good leg, if wasnt for Matt totally bombing at the roadblock it would be a close call. And for god sake, FREE BLAIR/ SHUT UP HAYLEY!!!!!!!!!!!! If I was him I would have just dropped the bike and threatened her to leave the race unless she stays quiet.

Edited by GenL
Preview talk
  • Love 2

Despite Hayley's nonstop yapping she and Blair seem to have a good relationship. Personally I don't see how he stands it but he seems to laugh it off.

Glad Matt and Ashley are still in it.

• Love 5

He always says "may" now.  They stopped giving it away in like season 5.

Not a bad leg structurally, but we didn't really learn anything about anyone.  Jenny is kind of obnoxious, Hayley sucks, Tyler and Laura like making fun of people (including each other, which is nice), Matt and Ashley are really supportive, Mike and Rochelle keep plugging along and finishing just ahead of last.  Combine that with no elimination and it's just kind of a leg that happened.

• Love 4

Can't believe Jelani and Jenny couldn't figure out Ice on their own.

Blair does appear to be navigationally challenged, but I can't really blame him for tuning out Hayley with her non-stop complaining about the weather, the smell, how fast he was riding, etc. She never shuts up.

I'm glad Matt and Ashley are still in it. I had to laugh at how far ahead he was on his bike and he and Ashley still managed when Hayley was yapping about Blair being a bike length or so ahead.

• Love 3

Can't believe Jelani and Jenny couldn't figure out Ice on their own.

I'm more surprised they weren't penalized. The guy at the dock told them they had to go back "start over..." They didn't. They asked some random guy on the street.

• Love 9

Oh lord... Hayley be quiet!!  I can still hear you in my head.. ugh ugh ugh.  Yammering that you are ALWAYS right won't get you very far in life.  Blair and Hayley do seem to do pretty well race wise but Hayley continuing to hang onto "see I told you so/I'm always right" like a dog with a bone is getting old real quick.  What would she say if SHE was wrong? (oh wait... it will still be his fault)

Really liked this leg- nice brain puzzle for once.  Probably would have taken me a bit to figure out the 5 i's thing too lol so I don't blame J&J.  They seem  much more  mellow this leg thankfully.

Mike and Rochelle... they're like little... cockroaches.  Nope still don't feel anything for this team.

Tyler and Laura ran a pretty good race- they weren't too bothersome/annoying but not memorable either.

Poor Matt... though I'm not that into this team I do feel bad for Matt having so much difficulty.  He ALMOST had it when rochelle was still there... it seemed like he was just so frantic.

Still rooting for Jelani/Jenny.  Blair if he can somehow tip her into the waterways...  I'm starting to wonder if she talks in her sleep too...

• Love 3

Anybody else wanting a non-elimination leg? It's not that I adore Matt & Ashley (Mashley?), but I feel that they're a better bet to win than Mike & Rochelle. If a "blind date" couple wins, it would send the wrong message to CBS. Cue twenty-two strangers racing for the million bucks. If there's a finale with three sets of strangers? That would be a guarantee.

I'm not feeling the season in general. I mean, the leg was exciting, and the tasks were good and demanding, but it doesn't compare to the shitstorm that is Survivor: Worlds Apart. As bad as Hayley can be, I wasn't shouting, "Fuck you. Go to jail" at the screen like I did with Will two nights ago. The emotions aren't as prevalent. Also, I think Blair was purposely biking as far ahead as he could manage, because he needed a break.

About the title quote . . . anybody else think back to the State Farm commercial with the college bros getting stuff from their agent, concluding with the one guy shouting, "And can I get a hot tub?"? Or is it just me? Also .  . . yeah, I agree that Jelani & Jenny should have been penalized for not getting the clue on their own. In their defense, I didn't make the "I's = Ice" connection right away. And as good as Hayley & Blair playing dumb was, it paled to Chip trying to deke Brandon & Nicole in TAR5. "SHUCKS!"

• Love 6

Anybody else think back to the State Farm commercial with the college bros getting stuff from their agent, concluding with the one guy shouting, "Can I get a hot tube?"? Or is it just me?

I was seeing/hearing James Brown or Eddie Murphy doing James Brown throughout the entire episode. That's where the title came from, "Can I get a hot tub?" :)

• Love 12

I thought this was a fun episode and the detour options seemed balanced. Good for Mike (?) and Rochelle staying dry and getting the task done. At least Matt and Ashley don't yell at each other, I knew he would get the shoe task once he took a deep breath and calmed down.

I think Blair just tunes Hayley out so he doesn't hear when she does say something right. But my goodness can she just take it down a notch? Blair just made me laugh this entire episode, he was talking about how nice Amsterdam was and all Hayley kept doing was complaining about the smell and the cold etc. Can he win the million without her?

• Love 10

Wow, first Blair was going "too fast."  Then when he slows down to be next to you, he needs to "hurry up."  Make up your damn mind, Hayley.

While I know their odds to win are slim, but Mike and Rochelle are the only team I'm still fully enjoying.

I'm probably in the minority, but I would've done the shuffleboard Detour since I really enjoy those types of games.

With this third NEL, I'm wondering if they'll leave out the TBC leg this season.

Was this the first selfie-free episode this season?

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 7

Cooksdelight it's not right I can't like your first post 900 times.

Hey did you guys know Hayley's partner's name is Blair? Because I didn't know that until tonight when they were in the clog shop. And she then said his name 6457 times.

She ruins everything. I really just cannot take her. And fix your damn bike helmet.

• Love 21

I want the shuffle board game.

I would Love to hear the voices in Blair's head when Hayley is on one of her nagfests. I give him a lot of credit for keeping it all in.

Tyler and Laura continue to be my faves- even more so tonight.

• Love 6

Anybody else wanting a non-elimination leg? It's not that I adore Matt & Ashley (Mashley?), but I feel that they're a better bet to win than Mike & Rochelle. If a "blind date" couple wins, it would send the wrong message to CBS. Cue twenty-two strangers racing for the million bucks. If there's a finale with three sets of strangers? That would be a guarantee.

I think having the "blind date" couples showing so little interest in each other is a pretty clear sign to any rational person that this is a lousy gimmick.  So I'd say that this season would be a strong case for never doing this again, except TV executives are notoriously irrational.  There's a chance that whoever championed this idea will be doubling down and saying it's the fault of the producers for not finding more compatible blind date couples, and so we'll see it again with people who are willling to play the part to get in the race.

I think it would actually be an OK theme to have a season of only teams of couples in a relationship of less than a year or two, and have the occasional interview about how the stress is affecting them.  But the whole blind date thing is really pretty insulting to the teams and the viewers and to Phil (and probably the whole production and marketing staff as well.  Maybe even insulting for the audience metrics staff, the sales team, the cleaning crew at CBS Headquarters and the security guard at the front desk, for that matter.)

I need a floating hot tub!

When I first saw those, I thought the boats were going to get swamped with canal water, which would be a pretty horrifying thing.  It looks like the sides were high enough that they weren't exposed to that, fortunately.

• Love 2

I really liked the bike/ferry navigation, and I wish there was more getting around without cars in general.  I also enjoyed the dinner in Namibia with the awkward explanation from Matt about the U-Turn of Jenny and Jelani and the acknowledgement that they wouldn't be surprised to see it coming back at them.

• Love 5

It looked like they were in Amsterdam around Christmastime, does anyone know what he temperature was at that time?

I was happy it was NEL because I like Matt and Ashley more than the blind daters but he was driving me bonkers at the ESL. Jelani said it was cool, Matt needed to just shut up instead of yammering on the way he did.

I am not sure of the date when they were there, but the trip that the first team won was dated for November of last year. The 14th, I think. They were in Germany/Bavaria for Oktoberfest, which can run the entire month of October.

I kept having deja vu watching the scenes in Amsterdam from having just watched the housewives from Beverly Hills being there, in Yolonda Foster's hometown. That big "amsterdam" sign, the windmills, the bike roads.... so beautiful.

• Love 3

Hayley is awful.  If I was Blair this would have been the leg I self-eliminated.  I also don't care for Laura but I'm not exactly sure why.  And I also don't like Jenny. 

The shuffle board game seems like something Rochelle and Mike partake in every Friday night in their hometown....wherever that may be.  Just seemed right up their alley. 

Matt and Ashley for the win?  I like the two of them.  Very supportive of each other.

It looked like they were in Amsterdam around Christmastime, does anyone know what he temperature was at that time?

RFF has filming date as December 1, 2014. Wunderground says the high that day was 36F (one of the racers said something about 37F so they were close) Average for that day is 42F but at least they were fortunate it didn't rain, which it did on a number of other days around filming date. (November 30 was rainy and a high of 38F) The hot tub task would not have been fun in rain and somewhat lukewarm water.

Oh for fuck's sake. Hayley is insane!!!! Blair was maybe a bike length or two in front of her and she was bitching about not being able to keep up with him? It's been a while since a racer has irritated me as much as she has.

Blair's really putting up with her bullshit quite well; I have to wonder if he carried a prescription pad with him on the race.

• Love 8

So from Germany they went all the way south to Namibia only to get back north to the Netherlands? Maybe whoever sponsors the travelling part of this season gives TPTB more than before. IMO it would be more interesting if they take the high-speed train across Europe before fly out of the continent.

Is the hot tub in the canal for real? If so, why? From superficial point of view I regret that female racers do not show much skins in the tub, just Laura and her tank top. Also, who goes in the hot tub with the robe on?

Also, I feel strange that the greeter is a junior hockey player. A long-track speed skater would be much more appropriate as the Netherlands is never a hockey country.

• Love 2

I want the shuffle board game.

We have that shuffle board game (my husband is Dutch).  A smaller version of it, however, which I feel is probably a little easier to do, as the smaller pucks likely fit better in the hand and would be easier to control.  We haven't played it in a few months, but it is fun to play.

• Love 2
I'm not feeling the season in general.

Between the couple of weeks off, and having the show come back with three hours resulting in only one elimination, plus the extraordinarily unpleasantness we've been seeing from several of the teams (Hayley, Jenny, Aly), I'm finding it hard to get into this season.  

I guess I'm Rochelle & Mike FTW.  But I know that will never happen.

• Love 6

In biking and running, you can go faster if you shut your trap, only speaking when necessary.  If you're keeping up a steady stream of yelling and nagging and complaining, you're using valuable energy and not being efficient - it slows you down.  

Or maybe what i mean is -  SHUT UP, HAYLEY!  

Edited by backformore
  • Love 7

That was a pretty entertaining epi. I laughed out loud when Haley screeched (apparently non stop) at Blair that if he was wrong, she was going to be really mad. How in the world would he know the difference?

Tyler is such a gorgeous man. Then he opens his mouth. I did like his answer to Phil at the matt though that they are enjoying the race so much that everything else has taken a back seat. And Phil referring to the blind date couples as 'newly dating'? Saying it doesn't make it so, Phil.

So glad that Matt and Ashley were not eliminated. They have become my favourite couple.

• Love 8

I'm not sure, but I think I saw this -  They don't have real phones with internet or GPS, they have phones with cameras only. When Blair stopped a local for directions, it looked like the local got the map on his own phone, and Blair used the camera/phone  to take a photo of the map.   Seems pretty smart to me.

is this the way others saw it?  

• Love 19

I love how you can kind of see Blair winking at the camera during some of the things he says.  Maybe since he's finding the funny in Haley he's able to make the best of it.  I still wouldn't be surprised if he eventually snaps. I would.  She gets on my last nerve and I only have to see her for an hour a week.  I can't imagine being with her 24/7 for any period of time.

I guess the fact that it was a NEL is why they didn't keep the suspense up with the hairdressers finishing last.  I wonder if they'll be able to fight back from last next week.

• Love 4

I'm not sure, but I think I saw this - They don't have real phones with internet or GPS, they have phones with cameras only. When Blair stopped a local for directions, it looked like the local got the map on his own phone, and Blair used the camera/phone to take a photo of the map. Seems pretty smart to me.

is this the way others saw it?

Yes, Harley and Jonathan mentioned they did the same thing in their exit interview.

I was surprised that they didn't provide them with bathing suits for the hot tub task, in the past they have often provided them for water tasks.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

So glad it turned out to be a NEL, as soon as they made it appear that Matt & Ashley were saying goodbye, I knew they were saved. I like them more every week, she didn’t bitch him out at all during the shoe challenge (that was tough, they all looked the same to me), & he realized why he was failing & apologized They never sniped at each other & were really supportive, they're a pleasure to watch. On the other hand.......

Please let Hayley be the first person who dies during TAR, I can't stand her. Even when she's being "supportive" (COME ON BLAIR, COME ON, COME ON BLAIR, BLAIR, BLAIR BLAIR COME ON!!!!!) I want to stab her in the head.

"Oh! Roman skating rink!” “5 Is skating rink” Holy shit.- Jenny & Jelani deserved to be eliminated based on stupidity alone.

Liked the game, all the guys in costume were awesome, they just needed some beers.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 10

Why isn't Hayley doing the navigating, since Blair apparently messes it up and she apparently always knows the correct route?

And if you can't keep up with your partner, maybe stop wasting your breath yelling and use the oxygen to push harder instead of shouting at him to slow down! It's not like he was miles ahead.

I like that Matt and Ashley support each other. He coached her well at the detour and she was quite patient when he was ignoring her good advice and wasting time in a panic at the roadblock.

Rochelle is awesome. She's quiet but she does well at tasks and is also pleasant even when her partner is struggling.

• Love 9

Once again a spoon-fed flight for all the teams. I used to think they showed way too much airport drama on this show. Now I'd be happy for any at all. Otherwise, an OK episode in what has to be the worst season of TAR I've ever seen (full disclaimer: I didn't see S8 the FE). Some genius at CBS has ruined this show for me.

Really liked this leg- nice brain puzzle for once.  Probably would have taken me a bit to figure out the 5 i's thing too lol so I don't blame J&J.  They seem  much more  mellow this leg thankfully.

Agreed. Those kinds of puzzles always remind me of that episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Saying "m'fire" to myself still makes me chuckle. I think the first clue was tricky because it was more of a phonetic clue and the way the I's were arranged made it seem like it had some meaning. Still, since Jelani and Jenny got the rest and kept trying variations it's weird they didn't just go with ice skating rink (the most logical choice) even if they didn't get it from the clues.

I think Blair just tunes Hayley out so he doesn't hear when she does say something right.

Agreed. I think this is why it was easier to side with her at first when you were mainly seeing the times he was ignoring her. But if she's been this hypercritical and high maintenance for most of the race you can see why he started tuning her out. He definitely got a little snark and attitude in there himself though this leg.

I really liked the bike/ferry navigation, and I wish there was more getting around without cars in general.

Personally, I found it a little difficult to find where I wanted to go on foot but the public transportation system in Amsterdam is fantastic.

I still wouldn't be surprised if he eventually snaps. I would.

This was brought up during earlier legs but it might make her happier to fight with him and get their issues out there. Of course maybe they've done it off camera and it always resets back to bickering and passive aggression. Oh this team. I'll admit it went back to being funny again this leg.

Add me to the list of people who've grown to rather like Matt and Ashley. I still think they were a little dramatic about Jenny leaving them behind. I don't need too much teamwork (a positive thing about this season) but they're good for each other.

• Love 6

[snip]

Personally, I found it a little difficult to find where I wanted to go on foot but the public transportation system in Amsterdam is fantastic.

[snip]

This was brought up during earlier legs but it might make her happier to fight with him and get their issues out there. Of course maybe they've done it off camera and it always resets back to bickering and passive aggression. Oh this team. I'll admit it went back to being funny again this leg.

Oh, my snapping wouldn't be getting it all out there, I'd be lunging for her throat like Lisa Rinna trying to strangle Kim Richards over a dinner table.

I had the same problem as you in Amsterdam.  I got lost on foot a lot.  At one point I wandered around for over an hour like a block from my hotel unable to find it, but to be fair I had been drunk all the other times I'd seen the hotel so my sobriety could have been causing the confusion.  When I finally gave up and got a cab the driver laughed at me because I was so close.  I think it might be a common thing though because I was lost on foot in a group and right as we were going to give up one of the guys exclaims "Oh!  I didn't even realize it.  This is my apartment."  So we were on his street and he didn't know it (I think it was a short term vacation rental).  I was there for a conference at the RAI and after the conference I changed hotels to one more in the Centrum and it was much easier to find my away around.

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 5

Amsterdam, one of my favourite cities, even in December where it's coldish, overcast and the damp clings to you. I liked how they started teams outside Amsterdam and got them to bike in, and there was plenty of team-shuffling out of the Road Block.

Definitely a transitional leg, planned more for flight routing than the location, but I'm surprised it was a NEL. (Yeah, I didn't pay enough attention to the rest-of-season preview.) It's true that orientation can be difficult in the Centrum because of how the canals and streets are interwoven. That said, for all her screaming, Hayley got the navigation right, and Blair messed up because he hasn't learned to let her take the lead on that particular bit. That said again, if I had to listen to Hayley, I'd probably have ignored her as well.

I'd have nailed the shuffleboard Detour.

Tyler and Laura must be favourites to win this thing now, surely? They're treating the blind date gimmick with the contempt it deserves, and treating the Race with the love it (often) deserves. They are, I think, a covert superfan team, which is why they've gelled well as a team far more than the blind date couples who aren't quite as into it.

• Love 8

Please let Hayley be the first person who dies during TAR, I can't stand her. Even when she's being "supportive" (COME ON BLAIR, COME ON, COME ON BLAIR, BLAIR, BLAIR BLAIR COME ON!!!!!) I want to stab her in the head.

GaT, I've never wished ill will toward anyone, but this made me laugh out loud.....because, yes, sadly, I agree with you. :)

• Love 8

Dear Hayley,  If the cameraperson can get both of you in the same shot, Blair is not riding off and leaving you.  Though perhaps he should.  This is not a romantic ride through Amsterdam where you have to ride side-by-side, it's a damn race.  Pick up the pace.

• Love 11

I've been to Amsterdam, it's a nice city. Lots of sex toy shops too with lots of ball gags. Blair should look into that for Haley.

Two attorneys unable to figure out that IIIII means "I"s = Ice? Color me unsurprised -- lawyers always overthinking stuff, coming up with belabored nonsense (Roman Skating Rink? The hell? That's Roman bath, Order of the Coif), and generally making life more difficult than it needs to be.

I guess better Blair partnered with Haley than any other average person, since the way he deals with stress is probably the best way to deal with her. Were it the average person, there'd be at least an attempted murder by now, and we'd have The Law Office of Hurr and Durr Esqs. trying to parse what "ballgag" and "crammed down throat" really mean under black letter law.

Since there's only a handful of teams left, I'm fine with it being a NEL because the Hairstylists staying in the race means they won't have extra screen time to apportion to Jelani/Jenny and Blair/Haley.

Edited by pamplemousse
  • Love 7
Was this the first selfie-free episode this season?

I hate that they're making the contestants take selfies this season, but this is the first leg I would have been taking photographs like crazy.  I would have been in the shuffleboard room taking pictures with every single extra, with the caption, "Look!  I went to Amsterdam and fell into an Anthony van Dyck painting!"

Edited by LeighAnne
  • Love 3