Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Who's been the more disappointing good/great pitcher in the postseason: Kershaw or Price? Price has been more futile, but I say Kershaw because of the disparity between his regular seasons and postseasons.

Kershaw. He's had flashes of brilliance, but can't put them together consistently, which I think is more disappointing than "a big choker who is reliably putrid in the playoffs." Also, Price's name never gets bandied about as the best pitcher of his generation, while Kershaw's does.

• Love 1

If Kershaw pitched the same way for the Astros, Indians, Rockies or Brewers or any other mid-market, mid-country city would he be called the best pitcher of his generation?

Edited by marymon
  • Love 1

My father is one of about eight people who still has a subscription to the Houston newspaper. He opened it this morning and had this staring at him from the sports section: 

0248D20B-378D-4880-B748-B01F675DA647.thumb.jpeg.d6fcbfd92f8ddf94181a293a623b6342.jpeg

• Love 4

The announcers on FS1/Fox cannot, to save their lives, mask their neverending love for the Doodgers.  The little yappy dog one (baseball's equivalent of Chucky Gruden) particularly dotes on the Dodgers.  This is supposed to be a NATIONAL broadcast and you should keep the kissy-facing to a minimum.  Why, oh, why, can't there be a moratorium on network lurve for the coasts?!  I am rooting for a Milwaukee/Houston WS so I can watch the announcers heads explode.  

And I am a Cubs fan, so for me to root for the Brew Crew takes a lot.

• Love 5

Tony Kemp!

This postseason would be more fun if we could send Gurriel, Hader and Braun off on an ice floe.

And actually, Hader was a stupid kid, and I would hope that he learned a lesson long before now, but it’s his fault that the Brewers fans were so ridiculous, so off he goes.

Also JD Martinez because he’s good and I don’t like him.

I feel indignant that Alex Cora was the bench coach for Houston last year, because I literally just found this out today, and I feel that gives him an advantage, and I want the Sox to be as disadvantaged as possible.

• Love 1

Yeah it's kind of weird, I see the O but it's a blue shirt. I suppose MLB wouldnt let him wear an off colour shirt as the neck shows.

He won't be a Dodger next yr, I think they prefer Seager.

ETA now I'm not sure whether it's an Oriole O or the D or O from the Dodgers logo. I think the latter.

Edited by cleo

Since Buck S may not get another mgr gig as he is considered a "dinosaur", perhaps he would feel free to give his honest opinion re Manny. I don't really think he would ever do that because he may be a dinosaur but he is a gentleman dinosaur. Still I would love to hear him opine. Hey Buck maybe it's time to write your autobio?

MLB had better employ him somehow.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

When I first looked at it, it seemed rather uppercase...and way off-centered given where the logo on his jersey is,

Yeah I saw this too. Now I think it says October, one of the post-season shirts. I guess I'm not that into the game anymore if I'm reading Manny's shirt lol. 

Edited by cleo

OH yes. Of course! It's totally one of those October shirts! I only noticed because I'd just turned the game on and the camera was hovering on him. So there was nothing else to pay attention to in those first few seconds, and it stood out.

After Counsell  announced Miley (a left-hander) as starter,  Roberts set his line-up accordingly.  Then Counsell pulled Miley to put in a right-hander,  hoping to get some better matchups.    

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, twoods said:

1916 when the Dodgers were in Brooklyn. If both teams hold on and win, this is sure to be a highly rated matchup.

Does it matter that I don’t want either team in the World Series? I didn’t think so. 

It'll be great for ratings, though. 

• Love 7

I think Machado has a rat face and ears. I don't usually condemn people on their looks but that punk deserves it. I can't believe anyone would invest in a huge contract on that dirty player who never hustles to win games. Hopefully his attitude costs him money, much more than his recent $10,000 fine.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Yes. He can be considered a dirty player. One thing though. If he signs with the Yankees I would think that Mr Judge would put him in his place in some vague but assertive way. If CC is still with the club Manny would stop that shit toute suite. Just sayin'.

• Love 2

My post season Brewers hoodie was finally delivered today (I ordered it 2 weeks ago).  I’m so dam superstitious I don’t even want to wear it now.  It’s probs gonna be too warm tomorrow anyway, but still.  Disclaimer, I’m a born / bred Brewer fan Wisconsin native but haven’t lived there since 95 (would do anything and everything to erase the years I lived in MN blech ? and can’t wait to get back to Louisiana). Have lived in KC since 2012. This is like deja vu to 2015.  It’s killing me!!!!!!   2015 in KC was stressful but so magical.  I’d love for my Brewers to pull it off. ??

• Love 3

I’m not an Astros fan at all (except for this week because ew Boston) but I still take great exception to the media suddenly deciding to call the Red Sox outfield The Killer B’s.

No.  No no no.  I don’t care if their last name all begins with B.  We already had a Killer B’s and don’t need another.  Also, be original.

I expected better from you especially Eduardo Perez.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, morriss said:

The only thing I will say about the Boston-Houston series -    That  was some damn fine umpiring  by Cowboy Joe West in game 4,   and Chris Guccione in game 5.

Oof, don't get me started... When the umpires came out at the beginning of Game 5, the entire stadium rained boos down on them.

Also, this guy that does entertaining between early innings?
050716_hou_orbit_4_med_mqealbls.gif

Joe West was the left field umpire and ole Airbit was bouncing in his eyesight and blowing out his inflatable tongue. The atmosphere in Game 5 was not pretty. The whole stadium was pissed off right from the start.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, EllieH said:

I learned yesterday I am now a Brewers or Dodgers fan!  Let's go for a sweep of the Red Sox, [advancing team]!

My allegiance depends on who makes it through. Brewers? Go Beer! If it's the Dodgers, Go BoSox! (Ugh, Dodgers.)

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I am heart broken.  There is a major kerfuffle going on right now over the Giants' owner, Charles B. Johnson, funding a PAC that is creating arguably racist political ads.

Oh no.  That sucks.