Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Today's Astros vs. Blue Jays game should be interesting: we have the Gurriel brothers facing each other for the first time in the MLB, Osuna returning to face the team that dumped him and the Astros facing Giles, who they dumped.

It's like a soap opera for my baseball game today.

• Love 3

Isn’t the last week full of stories? For the Mets, deGrom will make de case for winning the Cy Young, and David Wright plays one last game at third.

David’s impending retirement does raise a question: will his number be retired? I think enough fans will “forgive” him for not making the Hall Of Fame, unlike Seaver and Piazza. But truth be told, I still relate #5 to Davey Johnson.

I'm kind of sorry they ever started retiring numbers.  I have this crazy, perhaps unfounded, optimism that MLB will survive another century or more.  By that point the player numbers will be looking like Los Angeles street addresses or  like Dewey Decimal numbers.   "And at first base, number 796. 357, Flash Gordon Robles!"

• Love 2

I'm sure the groundskeepers are out there as soon as possible, hosing the grass down and diluting it as soon as the field is vacated. As for wasteful, at this point the game is over, so it's either dump it on a player or down the drain. It's not like anybody would be taking it home in a doggie bag.

• Love 1

Watching the Brewers celebrate clinching their first postseason berth since 2011 - a fun group of guys.  I love Craig Counsell.  It's about time they got back to the postseason.  Uecker isn't going to live forever, after all.  

For those worried about Gatorade on the infield grass, think about the poor Cardinals' staffers who have to clean the visitors' clubhouse after the Brewers pour champagne all over the place.  The floor has to be one sticky mess.  What do you tip for something like that?!  

• Love 2

Bumgarner prefers beer on him instead of Gatorade :) 

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 12.20.47 AM.png

9 minutes ago, Calvada said:

For those worried about Gatorade on the infield grass, think about the poor Cardinals' staffers who have to clean the visitors' clubhouse after the Brewers pour champagne all over the place.  The floor has to be one sticky mess.  What do you tip for something like that?!  

That floor is going to have a nasty hangover.

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Calvada said:

Ditto for the Blue Jays' staff because the Astros did their celebrating in the visitors' clubhouse as well. They clinched the night before when Seattle walked off the A's, so they had to play the day's game first, THEN celebrate. That was the fastest game I've seen in a while, 2 hours and 27 minutes. Also, it was like watching a spring training game. Lotta rookies starting.

deGrom finished in style, didn’t he? I hope he wins the Cy. “Better Than Eleven Teams” is too weak a legacy for a mediocre bunch like the 2018 Mets.

ETA:  Matt Harvey says he’s willing to deal with every team except the Mets. Now I’m hoping the only offer he gets will be from Baltimore.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, prican58 said:

I think Jake did a reverse Samson by cutting his hair. 

I was thinking that. Did you also wonder what would happen if he shaved his head? "God Mode" is my first thought . . . or at least 1985 Dwight Gooden, without the hindsight that he might have been on cocaine at that time.

• Love 2

It amuses me to hear Timmmaaaaay Kurkjian say that the cat fight in the NL is irrelevant because the AL is going to win the WS, regardless which team makes it.

That’s what we thought in ‘01 and ‘03, wasn’t it?  And look how shitty that turned out.

• Love 1

He spent every season before this one with the Marlins. They've not been to the playoffs in 15 years, and I'm a biased Mets fan, but I'm pretty sure they haven't been even close in that time. The only times they spent big in that time, they immediately went bust and sold off.

• Love 2

I shed tears tonight watching #5 do his last go round. His little girl is adorable beyond belief. I try to imagine him having been a Yankee during the Jeter years. What would that have been like? David deserves every accolade given tonight. Would one overshadow the other?

Was Yanks game on YES, PIX or Fox? Can't find highlights on YES so I'm guessing FOX.

• Love 5

Mets end their year at 77-85 . . . seven games better than last year. Did it feel slightly better overall? Great that Thor got a complete game shutout, David Wright got his last hurrah, and deGrom is assured of a Cy Young Award . . . but man, it felt like a flight where the engines kept exploding.

• Love 2

I went to the Giants game today and it was Hunter Pence's last game as a Giant. (Please please please sign him for 1 more year for 1 million, FO!) Yep, I definitely cried. I feel like crying now just thinking about it. Please at least rehire him as a cheerleader, or a second mascot, a motivational speaker, clubhouse coffee barista, something!! #gr8ful 

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 3

Joe's kids joining him on the field were cute, but this was by far the best part of the game. One of the best catchers to ever play the game dons the gear for one last time. He last caught August 19, 2013. The White Sox agreed ahead of time not to swing at the pitch. It was the only way Joe's wife would let him do it.

• Love 3

I was actually rooting for the Cubbies because I am a crowd happiness vampire but I’m actually fine with whoever.

And I get geography yet was still very surprised at the sheer volume of cheering for the Brewers (there were even super loud “Let’s Go Brewers” chants which WTF, Wrigley.  How do you let that happen?)

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I was rooting for the Brewers because I like beer.

I do like the fact they refer to them as the Brew Crew. Makes it sound like a sport I could participate in. 

• Love 4

I wish I could have taken off to go to Chicago today-I am SO EXCITED for the Brew Crew.  I’ll admit, I was crying today when they caught the third out. I’m in my thirties so I’m too young for the Wallbangers Crew, and I was at the Wildcard game they won last time they made it this close to the dance. 

I love baseball so much. This October is sweet! ??

• Love 5

The 1982 team was so good.  Back then when I was so into baseball I didn't care who was in the WS. I usually rooted for the AL except whenever the Pirates were in it. I wanted them to beat up on the Cards but it was not to be. That was a good team. Sigh! I miss the old alignment of the leagues.

I know zip about any of the NL teams and don't really care but I think the Brewers will go to the WS. Just a feeling. If Yanks don't get there but Sox do I will root so hard for Milwaukee. 

Brewers fans, does Robin Yount ever make appearances at the stadium? Is he iconic there?  I remember when he was a rookie, watching the Yanks game and Rizzuto had good things to say about him. Wasn't he 18 or 19 years old and didn't he wear that number in his rookie season? I seem to recall that. 

• Love 2