Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I may have misheard this, but I swear in the ESPN radio ad they said that Cleveland won their division “with the help of the worst division in baseball history” and I don't really care about Cleveland, but that’s some bullshit right there.

I don’t even care if it’s true.  You don’t say it because that just disparages an entire team of men.

That was an ad? It's one thing when the analysts say it, but an ad? Yeah, that's messed up.

The analysts are still stupid though. I heard one this morning say that the Astros cruised through the entire season? Seriously? They had the Angels on their tails in the beginning of the season, the Mariners during the middle and the A's at the end. They worked their asses off to stay ahead despite all the injuries, they did not cruise.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I may have misheard this, but I swear in the ESPN radio ad they said that Cleveland won their division “with the help of the worst division in baseball history” and I don't really care about Cleveland, but that’s some bullshit right there.

I don’t even care if it’s true.  You don’t say it because that just disparages an entire team of men.

Typical, we get no respect, I tell ya.  That statement also discounts the fact that the Indians got out to a huge lead, were never challenged and won their division by the biggest margin, 13 games.  Not to say the AL Central is a powerhouse, but I do think the lack of competition affects the level of play during the season as well as managerial decisions during the games.  The Indians are the best rested team in the playoffs at this point, too.

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

That was an ad? It's one thing when the analysts say it, but an ad? Yeah, that's messed up.

Yep, it was one advertising their ESPN Radio coverage of the playoffs.

And Kariyaki you seem like a lovely person, but that train whistle.  How can you stand that damn train whistle?  I cannot even imagine what that sounds like live in person.

And I know why I hate it, and if it were played in the Bronx it would be my favorite sound ever.

• Love 1

I know I should root for the rockies now (urgh blah yuck cringe), but I think it might be better for the brewers to win because they might have a better chance of defeating the dodgers (I'm already assuming the braves will choke.) I conveniently started a new job the very first day of the postseason, so I'm a little too busy/overwhelmed with work to pay much attention this month to teams that I don't care about.

141 days until spring training 2019....

Congrats to Kariyaki and the rest of the Houston fans.  The Tribe's bullpen sucks and Verlander showed why he's the best pitcher in baseball over the past several years. And the Tribe's bullpen sucks. Because I cannot say it enough. Your guys played championship quality ball.

I was listening at work and Tom Hamilton, the Indian's fabulous play by play guy, went on a righteous rant mid-game on behalf of the 'Stros.  He talked about how many fans were listening on the radio because they had to be at work or school and how absolutely wrong and insulting it was to the Astros, with the second best record in the league, the defending WORLD CHAMPIONS, no less, couldn't play a single prime time game because of TPTB's tunnel vision when it comes to the Yankees and Boston.  He condemned baseball's honchos for their blatant favoritism and their insistence on promoting baseball by favoring teams by location rather than quality.  He rightfully pointed out that neither the NBA or the NFL has any problem getting fans to watch their BEST teams, even ones from flyover country and smaller cities because they promoted ALL their teams; using all their stars instead of being so fixated on the east coast and behaving like somehow no other teams were as interesting or important.  He also, very correctly, pointed out that when baseball's leadership insisted they have to show the Yanks and Red Sox to get an audience that it is really just a self fulfilling prophecy; that, if baseball stopped kissing butt in NYC and Boston and promoted all the best teams; all of the quality teams would draw an audience.  Anyway, he was spot on, as always.  He did suggest that we all pray that one of the east coast teams sweeps the other so we can perhaps see some other team in prime time during these series.  He did say it was certainly easier on Houston and Cleveland and their staff to play day games and get a good nights' sleep and not have to be flying to the next town in the middle of the night; but that it was blatantly unfair to the fans.

He also chuckled at the fact that the Indians were forced to practice in 90+ weather, 90% humidity with the dome open while it magically closed and the air conditioning cranked right up for the Astros to practice.  Good gamesmanship there.  Maybe we can get some snow in Cleveland for you next week.

• Love 3

Ok, @mojoween, the train. They built the stadium on an old train station, left the building behind (kind of like the big warehouse at Camden Yards, but not near as big) and put in that train that runs back and forth on the tracks. The same guy has run the train since they opened the stadium in 2000. They actually entertained the idea of taking it out a few years back but the fans had a shit-fit, so they left it. As for the whistle, they only blow it when somebody scores and with everybody cheering, you really can't hear it when you're actually in the stadium. I guess the microphones pick it up?

@doodlebug, just big fat WORD to everything you said about the broadcasting. That's one thing that every fan I talked to tonight was ticked about, the catering to the Boston/New York market for prime time. On the bright side, as I had my brother and his friend in the car with me for the game, I got to take the HOV lane home and it was quite speedy.

It was definitely an enjoyable game. Honestly, my favorite part was them putting the pinch runner Myles Straw in. The center fielder barely had the ball and he was already at home. I saw him at spring training this year and am super happy that he's getting to show his wheels because holy fuck, he's fast.

• Love 4

Wow, they just showed the forecast for Denver on Sunday & Monday.  Rain Sunday, possibly snow or sleet on Monday.  And Monday's game is a night game - brrr.  

Sportsman of the Year = Tom Hamilton.  Can I hear an amen?  Sounds like he said just what millions of fans have been saying forever.  

For those wondering who would throw out the first pitch at Brewers' playoff games, yesterday it was Nyjer Morgan, who had the series-clinching walk-off base hit in the 10th inning of Game 5 of the NLDS against the Diamondbacks in 2011, which was the Crew's first playoff series win since 1982.  Today it was Stormin' Gorman Thomas and Cecil Coooooooper, tossing to Jim Gantner and Counsell.  

MLB has been suffering from loss of fans in recent years. The league spends all their time talking about pace of game and tinkering with pitch clocks and mound visits. Maybe, just maybe, they could consider showing teams other than the Yankees and Red Sox on national broadcasts. Let people watch more than a couple of teams. Another fun idea would be to allow fans of all teams at least one opportunity to see their team play in prime time during the playoffs and to allow casual fans the opportunity to see the talent that spans the league, not just the players in New York/Boston.  I'd add LA to this, but since they are on the West Coast, it makes sense for them to play the late game.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I hate everything.

Aw mojoween. I hope it gets better. I don't feel really invested in NY/Bos but I did want Happ to do well as he used to be a Jay and has thus more than paid his dues. Also I hate both Price and Sale. 

My beef is with the various announcers. I don't mind Smoltz, but didn't like the announcers for the Houston game. Just bc someone was once a great ballplayer does not mean they can call a game. I swear one of the guys with the Houston game, who I gather was a pitcher, acted like he had never seen a baseball game before. Wow, would you look at that! And I get being impressed with talent, but there is a difference between that and just going Wow every 5 minutes. 

Really, I have listened to the regular announcers for multiple teams and they are usually better than these once a yr guys, with a few exceptions. 

Anyways I hope the Rockies don't get swamped, but the Dodgers are my team after the Jays and I can barely stand being a jays fan with Rogers owning them.  

ITA it’s bullshit that the Cleveland-Houston series doesn’t have one prime-time game, and I’m a Red Sox fan. I mean, come ON. That’s crap.

Watching the Boston bullpen is like watching someone bleed to death from paper cuts. Painful. The offense better be ready to score like ten runs a game if they want to make any noise this October.

If the Boston bullpen can’t keep their shit together, at least Alex Cora is familiar with the concept of using starters instead of letting them hemorrhage runs. Game 1 is a little early to trot that out, but  I bet he tries that to close out the series. 

It all worked out okay for the Sox but I thought the October jitters got to Cora tonight—that was some real baffling bullpen management (and I say that as someone who didn’t even mind the Porcello move). Hope it’s out of his system after tonight.

also, was the Boston bullpen throwing a ball with magnets attracted to the dirt or something? If throwing balls in the dirt nowhere near the plate was an Olympic sports, the Sox would sweep the podium and then some, jfc. It’s going to be a long (or, sadly, short) postseason if we are constantly asking our starters to pitch out of the pen because we have zero faith in the actual relievers.

Yay I love every....nope, I still hate everything.

They gave it a good ride though, if they didn’t piss away five runs so early they might have gotten away with one.

RISP is not a dirty word, boys.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Safe to say Bregman is pretty excited

I know this is not what I was supposed to be getting from this, but:  Did his teammate grab his junk?  Is that a thing?  Maybe he’s not excited for the reason you think he is, Haryaki (;

Ok, watching the Today Show. One of the top stories? BOSTON wins!!!! Teased at the top of the show and then a full story with gushing commentary including the weather person bragging about her love for the Sox. Then, a video clip from the Dodgers game, not sure who they were playing, not sure their opponent was even mentioned because who cares?  Those were the only games played yesterday, or at least the only ones worth reporting. SMH.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I know this is not what I was supposed to be getting from this, but:  Did his teammate grab his junk?  Is that a thing?  Maybe he’s not excited for the reason you think he is, Haryaki (;

He was just putting Bregman back down on the ground. It's a thing Kemp does, but it's not junk-grabbing: Hugs for Homers.

998220124.jpeg&

HugsForHomers_GattisKemp_MLBPA_BreakingT_2048x2048.jpg&c=sc&w=700&h=700

Yeah, Moose. I was a Met hater back then even at 11 years old but I do remember the P.A. system streaming the radio play into the classrooms.  I was also on L.I. in Islip Terrace Elementary School.  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I am so sad right now. I know my boys play tomorrow on Sunday, and the season isn't over but damn this doesn't bode well for my Rockies :(

Well, the scrappy Giants circa 2012 will tell you, it ain't over till it's over. Pretty much every game they won was an elimination game and they were always on the verge of getting eliminated (except during the final showdown when they swept Detroit). 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Well, the scrappy Giants circa 2012 will tell you, it ain't over till it's over. Pretty much every game they won was an elimination game and they were always on the verge of getting eliminated (except during the final showdown when they swept Detroit). 

Fair point! Thank you for giving me some hope!

• Love 1
20 hours ago, cleo said:

My beef is with the various announcers. I don't mind Smoltz, but didn't like the announcers for the Houston game. Just bc someone was once a great ballplayer does not mean they can call a game. I swear one of the guys with the Houston game, who I gather was a pitcher, acted like he had never seen a baseball game before. Wow, would you look at that! And I get being impressed with talent, but there is a difference between that and just going Wow every 5 minutes. 

Really, I have listened to the regular announcers for multiple teams and they are usually better than these once a yr guys, with a few exceptions. 

The former pitcher announcing the Houston-Cleveland series is Hall of Fame closer Dennis Eckersley who starred mainly for the A’s and eventally Boston. Probably the very first star closer. 

Ironically, Eck was a starter for Cleveland who traded him to Oakland after Eck’s wife had an affair with his best friend on the team, center fielder Rick Manning. Manning now does local TV  play by play for the Tribe  to bring this full circle.

Eck credits these events for forcing him into rehab for alcoholism which he credits for his spectacular rebirth in Oakland.  Meanwhile Manning, a decent player but no Eck, ended up marrying Eck’s ex wife. And divorcing her.

• Love 2

Interesting @doodlebug. I thought about googling him, but couldn't be bothered. He seems like a nice guy, but he seems more like a fan they picked to sit in the booth than a pitcher with a lot of insight or analyst. But I may also be fussy lol.

It's nice to see Donaldson play again.

ETA- that must have really sucked, the trade and the affair. So much for trusting your teammates.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Question: is it less “special” that the advent of the wild card game means that division rivals can fight in the LDS?

Considering the division rivals are being given the lion's share of the media coverage as well as every single prime time slot, we can assume that baseball's head honchos and the media think that it is super duper extra special; even more special than any of the other matchups.

I only wish Price had stayed long enough to be the guy who gave up 2 HRs to Gary. I hate that guy and hope he never wins a post season game ever. Jerk. I firmly believe Sox are not a better team, they just had a better consistant season. Not knocking them, they are very talented and it all just came together this year. Kudos. But Yanks are devastating with Gary on his total game. Clearly Gary needs to concentrate more in the regular season and realize that each game is important.  

• Love 1

My fervent hope is that Cora tells Price he has to pitch out of the bullpen for the rest of this postseason and every postseason from now until eternity, and Price throws a shit fit and opts out of his contract. But I know it won't happen. Sigh.

• Love 2

David Price is a loser. He whines and complains while not doing his job in the big games. Opt out! He knows damn well that no other team would even pay him half of what he is getting from the Red Sox. Just another in a long list of bad Red Sox contracts. Pedro Martinez he is not. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, rcc said:

David Price is a loser. He whines and complains while not doing his job in the big games. Opt out! He knows damn well that no other team would even pay him half of what he is getting from the Red Sox. Just another in a long list of bad Red Sox contracts. Pedro Martinez he is not. 

I'm guessing only a below average team would want him because no contender wants this guy for the post season. But that team prob can't afford him and Sox surely won't want to eat that salary.

7 hours ago, mojoween said:

I mean, the injuries to Judge (curse that Royals pitcher!), Didi and Gary could have meant an eight game differential in the win column.

What was the record of the pitcher who hit Judge after that game? I hope he sucked.

• Love 1