Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Encarnacion always smells his bat after he hits a foul ball, but apparently that really is a thing.  You supposedly can tell if you hit the bat’s sweet spot depending on the bat’s smell.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

The Marlins should be retracted immediately and every single person in the organization should be banned from baseball for life.

Yeah, but the Marlins are one of the few things separating the Mets from absolute rock bottom. On the down side, no Wilpon is as pretty as Derek Jeter.

• Love 2

From a game played on May 26, 1964, the Mets' third year in the majors, when they beat the Cubs 19-1 in Wrigley Field.

The Mets’ outburst shocked the sports world. Reportedly someone at the New York Herald Tribune shouted “The Mets scored 19 runs!” after reading a wire story about the game. Hearing this, columnist Jimmy Breslin shouted out, “But did they win?

And that brings me to tonight's outburst. Why couldn't they spank a team that hard at home?

Basically, I feel for Orioles fans. I mean, the ballpark kicks ass and is close to good stuff (Inner Harbor, convention center, two sports museums), but the O's haven't been to the Series since 1983. And they might have made it in '96 if Jeffrey Maier doesn't turn an out into a homer.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Oh my god the “we were staring at each other” part is golden.  Love. Him.

Also he would look spectacular in pinstripes.

Speaking of pinstripes, while I feel that Greg Bird has awesome walk-up music (“Your Love,” by The Outfield, which makes me harken back to eighth grade dances that Bird would have been far too young for), I just cannot warm to him as a Yankee.  Seems like a nice guy, bats well when he’s on, but there’s just something about him.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

Speaking of pinstripes, while I feel that Greg Bird has awesome walk-up music (“Your Love,” by The Outfield, which makes me harken back to eighth grade dances that Bird would have been far too young for), I just cannot warm to him as a Yankee.  Seems like a nice guy, bats well when he’s on, but there’s just something about him.

He does? Charlie Blackmon uses "Your Love" too. 

I love Gerrit Cole's walk-up music (the starting pitchers' songs play during the warmup before the first inning), it's "Gimme Shelter" by The Rolling Stones, which my all-time favorite song of theirs. So whenever he pitches (like last night), I'm always jamming away in my seat.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Nice!  Was it a catch or did you have to fight for it amongst the peanutshells and spilled beer?

It hit the ribbon board above me and landed right at my feet. 

• Love 2

Going through my e-mail, see a link from the Mets about their game on Facebook, click the link, Mets are up 18-4, and now it's 22-4. Oh, and another Met (Jose Bautista) hit a grand slam.

It's been an odd week . . . Mets start at the Bronx for a makeup game, go to Baltimore for two games, then play a doubleheader the following day. Oh, and they play the Phillies at Williamsport on Sunday. I would have thought they'd ask for tips from the team representing Staten Island, but I don't think they need it now.

ETA: TWENTY-FOUR RUNS. Now watch as they don't get a runner on base in Game 2, and everybody will get to see that.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Tonight's Mets/Giants game really could have used some clown music for added effect. 

Nothing like watching the end of ESPN’s overnight coverage and seeing the anchors take cheap shots. I know, the Mets would be a team to lose a game in such an awful fashion, but I think there’s a line between jokes and punching down.

• Love 2

Daniel Murphy apparently needs to get out more. Mets invited out-player Billy Bean to the clubhouse, and Daniel "disagrees with his lifestyle. I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual." As if one's sexual orientation is OPEN FOR PUBLIC DEBATE, FFS. Grow up, Daniel.

Edited by attica
coding
  • Love 7

Not to mention he has probably played with gay players without realizing it. Don't they think about how their teammates might feel? I thought about that when Josh Hader got his standing ovation.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 4

It seems everyone came to the game dressed as seats tonight. Where are the vaunted Yankee fans?? (Not that I'm sorry they didn't show up in droves...there are enough of them to annoy me anyway :-) )

• Love 1

@ebk57 . . . yeah, Camden Yards is a nice place to visit, and it's close to other tourist sites. I've made the trip to Baltimore several times. Granted, it was for their comic book convention, but I did see the O's a few times when I could.

ETA: Listening to news radio. Guy talks about the Mets being down 1-0 in the eighth. Then a clip is played of someone hitting a home run. I'm all, "I never heard of that Met." He was a National. They scored eight runs in the eighth, six in the ninth. Steven Matz gives up the one run and five hits, and the bullpen befouls the bed. Of course they did.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, ebk57 said:

It seems everyone came to the game dressed as seats tonight. Where are the vaunted Yankee fans?? (Not that I'm sorry they didn't show up in droves...there are enough of them to annoy me anyway :-) )

I was thinking of you when I heard the “Let’s go Yankees” chants and when Sonny Gray got a standing O when he left the game and how irritated you must have been, heh.

Anyone know anyone in the NYC area who wants tickets and a parking pass to this Saturday's 4:05 game against the Tigers? I got 400 level tickets free by eating at Johnny Rockets but I can’t go.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Anyone know anyone in the NYC area who wants tickets and a parking pass to this Saturday's 4:05 game against the Tigers? I got 400 level tickets free by eating at Johnny Rockets but I can’t go.

Nice pull! Try StubHub. It’s a pipe dream for me to actually be able to go to every home Astros game, so that’s what I use for games I can't go to. It works pretty well.

Thank you for the suggestion!  Here’s hoping someone wants them!

I’m quite sad because Saturday is Yankees pullover jacket day and I love free stuff.  But that’s a really long drive to make by myself and when Aaron Judge’s timetable for his return got pushed out that made the decision for me to not go.  Instead I will go to a free ZZ Top concert five minutes from home.

9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Thank you for the suggestion!  Here’s hoping someone wants them!

I’m quite sad because Saturday is Yankees pullover jacket day and I love free stuff.  But that’s a really long drive to make by myself and when Aaron Judge’s timetable for his return got pushed out that made the decision for me to not go.  Instead I will go to a free ZZ Top concert five minutes from home.

Hey! What’s ZZ Top doing in New York? They’re a Houston band, they perform here so much that I get surprised when they actually do a tour.

StubHub works great. I just got an email this morning that my parking pass for today sold. The game ticket sold Friday. 

13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA: Listening to news radio. Guy talks about the Mets being down 1-0 in the eighth. Then a clip is played of someone hitting a home run. I'm all, "I never heard of that Met." He was a National. They scored eight runs in the eighth, six in the ninth. Steven Matz gives up the one run and five hits, and the bullpen befouls the bed. Of course they did.

I saw a score update at 1-0 after the seventh, then saw the final, and wondered what the hell happened and how the Nats scored 14 runs in the last two innings.

15 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was thinking of you when I heard the “Let’s go Yankees” chants and when Sonny Gray got a standing O when he left the game and how irritated you must have been, heh.

I usually sell my Yankees tickets (I second @kariyaki's love of StubHub!!), but I figured I'd go to this game.  Then ESPN changed it to dark-time (thanks - not), so I did mange to off-load 2 of the seats and I spent a lovely evening with my sis.  Lovely, except for the actual game... 

The only thing about StubHub might be that if the tickets are comps, the barcode might not take (since they don't want you making money on free tickets).  Hope it works out.  It's a shame you can't go, but ZZ Top is fine substitute!

(If you're close enough to drive down for a game, maybe next summer when I'm up, we can meet up?  I'd even suffer through a game at Yankee Stadium... :-) ).

• Love 2

Well, it's looking like McCutchen is getting traded to the Yankees for two of their prospects.

It's been (mostly) fun Cutch. We hardly knew ye! I wish you success, except when playing against the Giants. 

Now, how to get Duffy back.... ?

• Love 1