Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Is there any star player that hasn’t played for the Yankees these days? What’s the next step? Blowing up Fenway before the ALCS (hey, it would be empty at the time), so all games would be played in the Bronx?

• Love 1

The Mets traded Jose Baustista to the Phillies this week. This means Joey Bats has played for the Braves , Phillies and Mets this season. I wonder if this is the first time a player has played for three teams in the same division in a single season?

• Love 1

I think I heard the other day that he is not the first to do it, but that fact went into my brain and right back out.

Stanton has played 81 straight games hurt.  I am super duper coming around on him.  I just feel like he’s always sad because he rarely seems to smile.

• Love 1

Ugh, I really hate that Yankees rule. And well, the Yankees. It's a stupid rule. 

As much as I usually despise corporate bs, the shallow part of me LOVES that rule.  I cannot stand 99% of all the beards and facial hair nastiness that's de rigueur with today's kids.  They're the cutest, most beautiful they'll ever be, total eye candy, and they're sporting these hideous thickets that look as though thousands of species are growing in there.  Plus food.  Weeks' worth of food.  Yuck.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Ugh, I really hate that Yankees rule. And well, the Yankees. It's a stupid rule. Maybe have limitations on how long and nasty of a beard you can grow, but no facial hair at all? Totally lame. While I'm at it, I hate the pinstripes too. 

I love all of those things you despise!  Ha.

The hair rule is 40+ years old and George has been gone for almost a decade and the rule lives on.  I wonder if, when Hal turns the team over to the next Steinbrenner in line, if they will change it.  I hope not.

At least Andrew had already cut the dreads a long time ago so it was only the beard yesterday that needed to go.

And I woke up to the news they are getting SS Adeiny Hechevarria, who to my best recall, is not a pitcher.  George’s spirit of trying to buy titles is in full force.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I woke up to the news they are getting SS Adeiny Hechevarria, who to my best recall, is not a pitcher.  George’s spirit of trying to buy titles is in full force.

So much for trying to stay under that luxury tax. And a shortstop? What's wrong with Didi?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, attica said:

I stubhubbed my way into today's YvTigers game. Merry Cutchmas, me!

I’m so jealous because I was supposed to go to this game and you got to see a win on Gleyber Day!

However.  ZZ Top was a fucking awesome substitute.  Especially when the total cost was a ten dollar entry fee to The Fair.

• Love 3

Well. I thought the Astros had a day game but it looks like ESPN picked up the broadcast (thanks Ohtani) so now it’s a night game. I was getting all set to leave in an hour. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

What he did was not worthy of a suspension.  

He showed up the ump. If a player had done that he would have been suspended. One game seems reasonable. But then I dislike the Yankees so yes please, suspend him for more games LOL

• Love 4

I kind of think suspending him a game was an overreaction, but I also kind of get it. If you start moving the goalposts in terms of whether incidental or minor (or "minor") contact with an ump is worthy of a suspension, confrontations with umps are going to go bad very quickly. Sucks for Boone because I really don't think he meant to do it, but I can understand why MLB is holding to a zero-tolerance, stone cold line.

• Love 3

Once again, for those in the back...McCutchen and Hechevarria ARE NOT PITCHERS.

I truly don’t get it.  They needed arms, not bats.  All those bats aren’t going to do shit when you are consistently giving up an eight spot or more.  And it’s not even one guy.  It’s all of them.  Maybe they need to look at their pitching coach situation?

• Love 3

Thor got his first complete game win with 10 K's. Also, the Mets have set a team record: ten straight games where their hurlers threw at least ten strikeouts. Gary Cohen was surprised, given the Mets' great rotations in the past.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Once again, for those in the back...McCutchen and Hechevarria ARE NOT PITCHERS.

I truly don’t get it.  They needed arms, not bats.  All those bats aren’t going to do shit when you are consistently giving up an eight spot or more.  And it’s not even one guy.  It’s all of them.  Maybe they need to look at their pitching coach situation?

Oakland has a similar problem. They shored up their bullpen and didn’t get any quality starters, then lost their two best ones to the DL. They went through NINE pitchers last night and still lost. Which works for me. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Oakland has a similar problem. They shored up their bullpen and didn’t get any quality starters, then lost their two best ones to the DL. They went through NINE pitchers last night and still lost. Which works for me. 

They keep hiring relievers.  They need starters.  They started a reliever yesterday and left him in for less than two innings. They're in the middle of a 20 games in 20 days stretch.

• Love 1

I could not imagine sitting in Oakland Coliseum trying to watch a game with the drums and the music and the horns and the constant noise.  It’s barely (meaning, not at all) tolerable from my recliner.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
On 8/31/2018 at 10:44 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Ugh, I really hate that Yankees rule. And well, the Yankees. It's a stupid rule. Maybe have limitations on how long and nasty of a beard you can grow, but no facial hair at all? Totally lame. While I'm at it, I hate the pinstripes too. 

I like the old Tom Selleck movie "Mr. Baseball" where he is an aging major leaguer traded to a team in Japan.  When he arrives, they tell him he has to shave his mustache and he refuses, saying "This is the way you hired me."

Players shave when they become Yankees. They know it and they do it because as Cutch said the other day most players dream or fantasize about being a Yankee even if it's for a short time. And If you not wanting to shave is a reason to not join a team or to actually leave one is stupid. Damon did it, McCann did it and Ben Gamel would have done it if he had not been traded and he had made the team. You want the money and a team that is always in the mix for most of the season, then you shave. You can grow it in the off season. I like being able to recognize a player even though, yes one would get used to seeing all the beards and still be able to tell who is who. If Yanks ever change the rule they will prob limit it to mustaches which the Munson and Mattingly lead teams did. 

Men with ugly beards really bother me. Just sayin'. Normal beards are fine. Like this guy. http://m.mlb.com/player/430832/jose-bautista

12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Crazy handling of Ohtani by the Angels.  He already had a bum UCL so why would they have him pitch again?

I know, they wasted so much time fiddle farting around and trying to avoid it. We all knew it would come down to a TJ when he first went down. 

I'm just going to celebrate that my beloved Rockies are in sole possession of 1st place in the NL West with a 1.5 game lead over the Dodgers and 2.0 games over the Dbacks.  HUGE series starting Friday with the Dodgers.  I'm so excited and nervous!

• Love 1

The ONE SERIES that I would actually have liked the Yankees to stomp the other team and they let me down... Can I dare say that the Yankees also need a catcher? Or to just have Romine play there instead? Man, Sanchez sucks at it. It's like watching Schwarber from the Cubs trying to be an outfielder.

• Love 2

I turned on the Tigers game last night and was surprised to hear Matt Shepherd and Kirk Gibson instead of the usual announcers, Mario Impemba and Rod Allen.  I didn’t watch the pregame show, so if any explanation was given I missed it.   Lo and be behold,  they apparently got into a “physical altercation” after Tuesday’s game and were sent back to Detroit, on separate planes.  So far there hasn’t been, and probably won’t be, any explanation/excuse given by any party.  

• Love 1

There was an impressive amount of Astros fans at the Red Sox game yesterday. While watching it on the tv, I could hear discernibly loud cheering when Houston was scoring, not to mention the occasional round of "Let's Go Astros". At Fenway, where hearing the other team fans' chants does not happen often.

This will probably amuse only me, but Kenny Singleton said that when Cutch was traded, his 15 HR were tied for the lead on the Giants.

There are six Yankees with over 20 HR.

Aww so close to a perfecto in Minnesota for Kansas City.  But can he get a no-hitter?

Spoiler alert - no.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

This will probably amuse only me, but Kenny Singleton said that when Cutch was traded, his 15 HR were tied for the lead on the Giants.

Yeah, they just brought up a guy from Double A who has 20 home runs, the most in the organization.  :(

• Love 1
18 hours ago, mojoween said:

Well, the Giants are generally not a home run hitting kind of team, especially this year. Also, it's a lot harder to hit a home run at AT&T Park than most other ballparks. When they hit a ball into Triples Alley, that would actually be considered a home run in terms of distance in most other ballparks. 

Just now, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Well, the Giants are generally not a home run hitting kind of team, especially this year. Also, it's a lot harder to hit a home run at AT&T Park than most other ballparks. When they hit a ball into Triples Alley, that would actually be considered a home run in terms of distance in most other ballparks. 

Plus the wind coming off the bay pushes the ball down and keeps it in the park. I think if they'd turned the ballpark 180°, the homeruns would be a lot more plentiful. Crappier view, though.

• Love 1

I was reading Sports Illustrated today. S.L. Price wrote an article on the Washington Nationals' underwhelming season. Here's how it starts:

Is there a pro sports franchise weirder than the Washington Nationals? Before you answer, let’s define weird. We don’t mean forever hapless like the Mets, or doomed to irrelevancy like the NBA’s Kings, or multitudinously mismanaged like Washington’s burgundy-and-gold entry in the NFL. We don’t mean star-crossed, or even epically underachieving, though that last label seems destined to be the one slapped upon the Nats’ 2018 season.

"Forever hapless." Really. Orioles haven't won jack since 1983, and they have 102 loses through tonight, and the Mets are hapless. Also, Price brought up teams from other sports, and the Mets are the most hapless of (presumably) all four major sports. Am I weird for being a little pissed off? I mean, they're not even the most hapless team in the New York/New Jersey area. Fuck, the Jets' new quarterback threw a "pick six" tonight . . . on his first play in the NFL. I don't think I'm out of line on this.

• Love 3

It’s body of work, Lantern.  Like Al Pacino winning an Oscar for “Scent of a Woman.”

I cannot even articulate how much I love the expressions on both of these gentlemen’s faces.  Tim is like “oh ho hum, a grounder is coming my way” and Hawk is like “I’m about to make you wish that ball never left the pitchers mound.”

• Love 2