Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Well, I grew up on Long Island during the Dr J years of the old ABA and I have always been sweet on them. These young players are playing with energy and joy and it's nice to see. They may still suck at the end but they look like they have a purpose.  

1 hour ago, prican58 said:

Well, I grew up on Long Island during the Dr J years of the old ABA and I have always been sweet on them.

I remember seeing them play at the old Island Garden in West Hempstead a number of times, and we were at the game when they clinched the ABA championship in 1974, playing at the Nassau Coliseum.  I've always preferred the Nets to the Knicks.

Dear M&Ms Jacket Guy,

You paid thousands of dollars for those seats. Do you actually have no interest in watching this game? Was your whole point to wave at the camera? You look like a five year old on live TV who sees himself on the monitor for the first time and can't stop staring at himself, completely forgetting why he's even there. Act like a baseball fan, dammit.

Love, Mouse

• Love 5

Well I’m out.  I actively dislike the red foot underwear team and am completely apathetic towards the other team.  Guess I will have to renew my Hulu subscription and hope I can find something interesting to fill my evening viewing hours.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, marymon said:

My default is usually the National League team but I don't want the Dodgers to win.

This is my dilemma. I can't bring myself to root for either team but I want the NL to win....I'm so confused! 

F the Dodgers and F the Red Sox.   LOL

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 5

Josh Hader singlehandedly made me root against the Brewers; had he not been on the team, I would've been happy for the Brewers.  So, yay Dodgers!  I'd like to see the Boys in Blue win (it would annoy Giants fans profusely, which I would find delightful), but I have no doubt that the Red Sox will.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Well I’m temporarily going to be a huge Red Sox fan for the rest of the month. ABD! Anyone but the dodgers! 

I was thinking about it, and there is not one team in the NL that could ever turn me from ABB...so I feel badly that we are diametrically opposed here because normally I find everything about you to be delightful.  Heh.

We’ll always have the Warriors.

• Love 3

Hate the Sox, naturally. But I also dislike the Dodgers. I really don't care much and I won't watch any of the games but unofficially I am rooting for LA. I have a cousin who is along suffering Dodger fan so it would be nice for him. My wish is that regardless of the outcome of the Series David Price and Nathan E get pounded! 

• Love 4

I just got an email from MLB Insider saying that “Game 1 of the World Series will start at 8:00 p.m. ET”.  My guess is that first pitch will be no earlier than 8:30.  Any other guesses?

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 2

I’m going to say 8:36.

Just checking . . . most of you are rooting for a memorable Series, as opposed to a particular team?

I feel old . . . found out that Bruce Hurst shut the Mets down on this day 32 years ago, giving the Red Sox a 3-2 lead as the Series shifted back to Shea.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Just checking . . . most of you are rooting for a memorable Series, as opposed to a particular team?

Yeah, I don't particularly care about either team.  Usually, I'd go with the National League team, but I can't get excited about the Dodgers, and I don't really care much about the Sox, other than when they are beating the Yankees.

32 years? Seems like only yesterday.

52 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm rooting for the Dodgers.  I live in Los Angeles, and go see two or three games each season, but I only watch them on television if it's post-season.  (I don't know.  It's a life-long thing -- I love watching baseball in person, but on TV it has to be high stakes or I get bored.)

There are so many Red Sox fans I hate, that I hate the team, so I'm doubly rooting for the Dodgers.  But I'm not invested like I am in football, so it's not going to ruin my week if they don't win.  It's rather nice, actually - to have something that makes me happy if it goes my way, but doesn't upset me if it doesn't.

• Love 2

Oh my god it will 1000% ruin my week if the Sox win.  And I don't even really care one way or the other about the Dodgers, other than Puig amusing the hell out of me.

And my DVR is at 65% capacity and yet here I sit, watching the first pitch.

I wish I could quit you, baseball!

If I were the one of the Dodgers who got a lukewarm reception from the otherwise lustily booing fans, I think I would be insulted.

• Love 2

I am resigned to the fact that another Boston team will win a championship, and now I’m not so mad anymore. Too bad for my hubby and friends who are Dodgers fans, but their offense continues to be anemic in the playoffs and they deserve to lose.

2 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I wouldn’t be a “nice cool guy” playing against a dickbucket like Puig either.

I say this with love and humor: for someone who defends every negative post about the Warriors, you sure love to hurl a lot of crap towards other, non-Bay Area teams.??

• Love 2

Hmm, I’m pretty sure I’ve hurled most of my crap toward the dodgers on this forum, unless a player on another team plays dirty, but I don’t call them evil. I feel apathy toward other teams, so I’d have to go back and look at my old posts to see if I’ve “hurled” insults at other teams when I don’t actually care about them...? This isn’t even real hate. But I do like to point things out with facts.

Going back to who is a “nice cool guy” though, of Bum and Kershaw, who has been suspended five games for intentionally hitting a batter? (Rowand, in 2010.) Kershaw has also been ejected for intentionally hitting another guy (Parra, in 2011). Bum had his first ejection of his major-league career this season, and it was for jawing with an umpire. ;)

so, we’re all wearing rose-colored biased glasses.

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
Grammar and stuff.
  • Love 2

I feel like LA is wasting a lot of at bats wildly swinging at the first pitch after a batter was walked on 4-1, for example. Make the pitcher throw a strike. They also seem to be hacking away trying to drive the ball into the Charles River. Machado had a good at bat where he just made contact, grounded out, but still drove in a run. Everyone says every pitch counts in the World Series and I think management is not communicating that effectively. Yeah, look for your pitch and drive it, but get the ball in play. 

It wouldn't matter if the pitchers were lights out, but they seem to be trying to throw around a lot of the Boston batters and not just throw strikes. The defense seems to be doing just fine.  

Whomever is starting game 3 needs to just go out and throw the ball and stop overthinking. 

9 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I say this with love and humor: for someone who defends every negative post about the Warriors, you sure love to hurl a lot of crap towards other, non-Bay Area teams.??

Isn’t that the first rule of sports?  Anyone who says anything bad about YOUR team is just ill-informed.  But your team’s rival is terrible at sports and really should just be relegated.

My local ESPN Radio studio is about ten miles from my house, but I’m pretty sure their transmitter is on Mars.  And yet, on the way home from Barnes & Noble book club, there I was, listening to Dan Schulman sounding like he was speaking from inside an electric can opener, just so I could listen to the game.

• Love 3

Yep, that’s exactly it. They have relied on nothing but the long ball to get them here, and now they aren’t scoring so pretty much have given up. Boston is a much better team and it is clearly showing. Look for a full sweep in LA.

Boston will probably play better in a warmer climate as well.

At least the beach balls and wave won't really start until the game is halfway over, since it takes people so long to actually show up. Game 7 was hilarious last year when the Astros were already up by two in the first inning and they zoomed in on the people still walking in from the parking lot and the announcers were all, "Bad news, guys..." I also remember a shot of a Dodger fan sitting down with his beer and nachos with his jaw dropped down while the guy next to him explained what he missed.

• Love 1

Dodger Stadium is terrible when it comes to traffic. One way to get in and out of the stadium off of a busy freeway. I don’t know why they try to fix it in the off season with the billions they make off of this team. I would rather go to an Angels game instead of dealing with that nightmare.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, twoods said:

Dodger Stadium is terrible when it comes to traffic. One way to get in and out of the stadium off of a busy freeway. I don’t know why they try to fix it in the off season with the billions they make off of this team. I would rather go to an Angels game instead of dealing with that nightmare.

It's pretty horrendous unless you get there really early, and it's nowhere close to the Metro.  Such a pretty view, though!

Every time I have a sliver of sympathy for the Dodgers out trots Mr “Bleeds Blue”  Tommy Lasorda to remind me why I need them to crash and burn in consecutive World Series.    Lasorda visuals can’t be erased ever from the brain short of a lobotomy.

Yes, I realize the Red Sox winning will make them and not the Giants the winningest WS champs this millennium , but again it’s the Dodgers.  I just can’t.

On 10/23/2018 at 10:37 PM, MVFrostsMyPie said:

After today, Clayton Kershaw would need to pitch 411.1 scoreless innings in the World Series to match Madison Bumgarner’s World Series ERA.

LOL.

Keep ‘ em coming those stats!

• Love 1