Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I was in tears that night because I thought the Mets season was going to be over (I say as a cat named Mookie Wilson is currently sleeping on my chest).

At the time I was a huge Mets fan because I was 12 going on 13 and thought Bobby Ojeda was simply beautiful.  Then in the early 90’s my BF was a Yankees fan and I found Bernie Williams and that was that.

And seeing it written out as 32 years ago makes me realize I really am an old crone.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I was in tears that night because I thought the Mets season was going to be over (I say as a cat named Mookie Wilson is currently sleeping on my chest).

At the time I was a huge Mets fan because I was 12 going on 13 and thought Bobby Ojeda was simply beautiful.  Then in the early 90’s my BF was a Yankees fan and I found Bernie Williams and that was that.

And seeing it written out as 32 years ago makes me realize I really am an old crone.

Ha! I felt that way the other day when it's was the 25th anniversary of Joe Carter's home run. I too was crying but for another reason. I was a baby when the Phillies won in 80 and too young to remember 83 so 1993 was really my first experience in the Phillies being successful and that Home run was a gut punch.

Saturday will be the 10th anniversary of the beginning of game 5 and Monday will be the conclusion of the 10th anniversary of game 5 when the Phillies clinched the World Series that also made me cry(the Phillies have made me cry a lot)

• Love 3

I was ten. I couldn't watch after the Red Sox scored two in the tenth. I was inconsolable. Turn the TV back on, expecting Boston celebration, and the game was tied. I had missed hits from Gary Carter, Kevin Mitchell and Ray Knight, and Bob Stanley's wild pitch. To this day, I question my right to call myself a fan because I bailed on the Mets like that. Then Mookie his a dribbler that goes past Buckner, and the Series was tied. To quote Vin Scully: "If a picture is worth a thousand words, you have seen a million!" I think I still got the '86 World Series highlights tape from 1986, narrated by Bob Costas.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

There's a Boston area band called "Forgiving Buckner".

It was never Buckner we needed to forgive it was Calvin “frigging” Schiraldi & Bob “sad sack” Stanley!!!!

• Love 4

GM Frank Cashen looked like a genius. It’s like he gave up Schiraldi for Ojeda, then gave the kid subliminal suggestions in the off chance the Mets and the Sox met in the Series.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

Then in the early 90’s my BF was a Yankees fan and I found Bernie Williams and that was that.

Well, it was Bernie. I mean come on. No one was safe. 

10 hours ago, bosawks said:

It was never Buckner we needed to forgive it was Calvin “frigging” Schiraldi & Bob “sad sack” Stanley!!!!

It was also not having Clemens for a Game 7 either iirc. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

It was also not having Clemens for a Game 7 either iirc. 

Clemens started Game 6, and left due to a blister. Dennis “Oil Can” Boyd was slated to start Game 7, but it was postponed. The Sox wound up bringing in Bruce Hurst — who was already 2-0 — to face the Mets on three days rest.

I should see if I can find Bill Simmons’ account of Game 6. He was a Sox fan, so you know that wasn’t a fun night.

Edited by Lantern7
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

I'm not a Yankees fan at all, but I do remember their 90's Holy Trinity of Hotness: Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neill, and Tino Martinez.

tenor.gif?itemid=4871135

• Love 2

This is actually an exciting game if you can discount the ridiculous lack of plate discipline and mental errors on LA. Great job there, Machado, watching your ball fly nice and high when you should have been on second base. 

Bueller was in a groove in the 6th and 7th, and pulling him just on a pitch count seems over thinking, since he hadn't been in any trouble. He recorded 12 straight outs. 

• Love 2

Damn, Nunez is having a rough night. 

I'm from Boston and obviously rooting for the Sox, but somebody please end this shit already. I don't even care if it's the Dodgers.

Eta: Christ on a cracker, LA just tied it up. I'm never getting to bed....

Edited by BitterApple
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

I thought I understood the rules of baseball but I guess not, because you can advance on the bases if a foul ball is caught for an out?

Yeah.  If you catch the ball, you've made a play, so the ball is "in play" and the runner can advance.

If that makes no sense, I'll just claim middle of the night brain death.

• Love 1

Any out that is made, you can tag up and take the risk to advance yourself to the next base. You can actually steal a base on a walk. This is again where situational awareness is lacking. Let the ball go in the stands, and not make a play on it, then it's just a foul ball. It's not like LA hitters were anything short of anemic. 

Wow, this is the worst baseball I've ever seen in the World Series. 

Honestly, I would have flipped it and bunted Machado. No way they would have expected that. 

Edited by ganesh

Has Joe Buck ever called an extra innings game before? I swear he acts like this an anomaly. LOL

1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

I'm so glad that all I have planned for tomorrow is sitting on my couch.  And maybe laundry. 

Same.   I am in SoCal but still

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

It's still yesterday in Los Angeles... 

I'm so glad that all I have planned for tomorrow is sitting on my couch.  And maybe laundry. 

My son’s 21st birthday party is at 6.  Thankfully all I have to do is wrap his presents and vacuum.

If this game started on any day other than Friday I would be furious because I would be missing all the fun. 

This is now the longest WS game in history by both time and innings, I believe.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

I was at the 22 inning game between the Padres and my beloved Rockies..and the in game entertainment to keep fans interested was fantastic.  We had 3 7th inning stretches.  The Padres played the speech from Animal House about "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" to try to rally the Padres (to no avail, I might add).

My point to that story is that the Dodgers in game fan stuff....is kind of lacking...

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

My son’s 21st birthday party is at 6.  Thankfully all I have to do is wrap his presents and vacuum.

If this game started on any day other than Friday I would be furious because I would be missing all the fun. 

This is now the longest WS game in history by both time and innings, I believe.

Joe Buck just said it's the longest game, so it must be true.  Or something.

Happy Birthday Mojoween Junior!!!  

• Love 2

West coaster here...my significant other is rooting for the Dodgers, but had to go to bed 3 hours ago because he has to get up at 3 am...he's going to be surprised when the game is still going on when he wakes up. Oy.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I went to the theatre tonight...and still get almost an entire ball game to watch! 

Hey me too! Musical theatre?

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

I was at the 22 inning game between the Padres and my beloved Rockies..and the in game entertainment to keep fans interested was fantastic.  We had 3 7th inning stretches.  The Padres played the speech from Animal House about "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" to try to rally the Padres (to no avail, I might add).

My point to that story is that the Dodgers in game fan stuff....is kind of lacking...

The longest game I've been to was about 17 innings at AT&T Park, but it's super dangerous because you're prone to getting shat on by the invasion of seagulls. They want their garlic fries and crabcakes by the 8th inning at the latest.

• Love 2