Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I know they would never do it but I almost wish they’d move tonight’s game to tomorrow.  3 games worth in 24 hours is kind of crazy: I don’t really want to watch a game where boths sides are exhausted.

Or maybe I’m just projecting because I’m exhausted... 

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 3

Figured the Sox would win (plus I’m apparently bad karma in the house with my Dodger hatred) so I fell asleep after the 12th and just saw the highlights. I’m shocked Dodger stadium was still packed. East coast must be hurting this morning, and there is going to be some shitty baseball tonight because everyone is tired. When is Roberts going to tell his team to play some actual baseball instead of trying to hit home runs every bat? Yeah, I’m talking about you Puig and Machado. Man I hate them (and I’m an Os fan). 

• Love 1

I was scrolling through my FB memories and saw this from eight years ago -

“Let's go Giants!  And this time, I'm not referring to Big Blue.”

I have no idea who San Francisco played in the WS in 2010, but I must hate them if I was rooting for a NL team.

• Love 1

EIGHTEEN INNINGS. Holy shit.

My night: got home. Napped for about five hours. Got up before 1 a.m., and the game was still on. I had dinner and dessert, went to bed, and the game was still going on.

Do you blame how networks handle postseason games? Remember, I was stunned last year, when Game 1 wrapped up in under three hours. I’m guessing the game wrapped up after midnight in Los Angeles . . . and that shit is never supposed to happen.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The running joke is that since they played a full 18 innings the game should count as two wins and not one.

I am fully on board with that.

Out of curiousity do you dislike the Red Sox because of the team, the players, the fans, or the city?   Or all of the above?   Just curious; as you said before fandom is a funny thing.

I used to dislike the Yankees because they always stood in the Sox’s way but that’s not as much of an issue anymore.   In baseball, there aren’t really teams I viscerally dislike anymore, I save that for football.  I think I find myself more annoyed at the fans in the stands though than the opposing team - heh.   Sit down with your twirly towels!

The rest of this series is going to be rough now I fear.

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

2010 World Series was the Rangers, ugh. No wonder you rooted for the Giants.

Huh.  I always thought I was ambivalent about the Rangers, at best, but I guess not.  They must have beaten the Yankees in the playoffs that year, heh.

@jcin617 there are SO many factors.

First and foremost will always be 2004.  Also I hear terrible things about certain fans and it seems to always happen in Boston.  Then there are the Patriots who taint every sports team within reach.  And Boston is the historic foil to the Yankees and I don’t like that the tables have turned and the Yanks have one WS in a decade and the Sox have like twelve (even if Tom Brady has no concept of what “it’s been awhile” means).

Also also there is 2004.  And 2004.  And perhaps I haven’t mentioned 2004.

When I think about it, OF ALL PEOPLE I should never want nice things for Dave Roberts.  But he’s one guy and I really do like Puig (sorry MVFrostsMyPie but I can’t help it).

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Huh.  I always thought I was ambivalent about the Rangers, at best, but I guess not.  They must have beaten the Yankees in the playoffs that year, heh.

Yes, the Rangers beat the Yankees in the 2010 ALCS. 

3 hours ago, jcin617 said:

I know they would never do it but I almost wish they’d move tonight’s game to tomorrow.  3 games worth in 24 hours is kind of crazy: I don’t really want to watch a game where boths sides are exhausted.

Or maybe I’m just projecting because I’m exhausted... 

They already have a game tomorrow

I fell asleep just as it turned into today in LA.  When I woke up to go to bed, I thought it was really mean of the local Fox station to make the news team still do the post-game news.  Then I realized it was the morning news... 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

@jcin617 there are SO many factors.

First and foremost will always be 2004.  Also I hear terrible things about certain fans and it seems to always happen in Boston.  Then there are the Patriots who taint every sports team within reach.  And Boston is the historic foil to the Yankees and I don’t like that the tables have turned and the Yanks have one WS in a decade and the Sox have like twelve (even if Tom Brady has no concept of what “it’s been awhile” means).

Also also there is 2004.  And 2004.  And perhaps I haven’t mentioned 2004.

When I think about it, OF ALL PEOPLE I should never want nice things for Dave Roberts.  But he’s one guy and I really do like Puig (sorry MVFrostsMyPie but I can’t help it).

2004 still sticks in my craw and Ireally do hate them. mojo, remember when Bernie was a free agent and it was thought that might actually sign with Boston? Ughh. The story is that Bernie went directly to George and basically said Hey I don't wanna play for Boston. Let's get something done. Life as we know it would never have been the same.

• Love 2

I'm not going to be home tonight, or I could see if this works again -- apparently the key to a Dodgers victory is for me to get in bed.  In game four against the Brewers, as soon as I said, "Okay, I have to give up and watch the rest of this from bed (which risks me falling asleep before it ends)," my head had barely hit the pillow when the Dodgers won to tie the series.  Same thing last night - just tucked in and they finally won.  If they go really, really late into extra innings tonight and the game is still going when I get home, I'll hop into bed to make them 2-2 in this series, too. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I fondly remember the three decades of my life when Yankees fans would tease us by chanting "1918! 1918!" at us incessantly.

I went to a parade once to try and get material for an article. Heard 'em chant "1986! 1986!" So, you know, fuck Yankees fans in general.

Anyone else think last night was more or less Mark McGwire hitting a walk-off in Game 3 thirty years ago, and the BoSox will have thinks wrapped up by Sunday night?

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I went to a parade once to try and get material for an article. Heard 'em chant "1986! 1986!" So, you know, fuck Yankees fans in general.

This wounds me on a personal level.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Would you believe me if I told you Sandy Koufax (in the blue buttondown) is 83 years old?

Instantly recognizable last night -- when it was still last night and not this morning, I believe -- and the handsomest man in the stands. Or on the field. Or in LA. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Hey me too! Musical theatre?

I love musicals, but last night was "How I Learned to Drive".  A pretty serious (and short) piece, followed by Free Beer Friday.  Which had nothing to do with me choosing to go on a Friday night.  Nothing at all. 

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I love musicals, but last night was "How I Learned to Drive".  A pretty serious (and short) piece, followed by Free Beer Friday.  Which had nothing to do with me choosing to go on a Friday night.  Nothing at all. 

The Sox and Dodgers should have watched “How I Learned to Drive In Runs” before playing the game.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 10

Ugh, that naked picture of Puig is just nasty. He is a repugnant, disrespectful man-child with stunted emotional intelligence and that makes him so ugly to me. And the team he plays for hasn't done enough to reprimand his immature behavior and actions, and it's not like he has any role models in that ball club to really mentor him. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Ugh, that naked picture of Puig is just nasty. He is a repugnant, disrespectful man-child with stunted emotional intelligence and that makes him so ugly to me. And the team he plays for hasn't done enough to reprimand his immature behavior and actions, and it's not like he has any role models in that ball club to really mentor him. 

Puig, Machado, the Coward Chase Utley . . . the Red Sox are basically the good guys by default, right?

• Love 2

He makes LeBron James seem likeable, that's how distasteful I find that dude.

Just now, Lantern7 said:

Puig, Machado, the Coward Chase Utley . . . the Red Sox are basically the good guys by default, right?

Yeah, pretty much. I can't wait to dislike the Red Sox again next year, but for now, they're my guys.

2 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

He makes LeBron James seem likeable, that's how distasteful I find that dude.

Oh dear god.  That must have been difficult to type out.

That’s some powerful loathing there!

TBH, I actually dislike Utley more because I hate dirty players who then refuse to apologize for playing dirty, but Puig needs his ego taken down about 6 notches. James' RBF and whining and ego is more tolerable. And his ego at least makes more sense than Puig's. 

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 1

Today marks 32 years since the Mets won their last World Series. You think the Dodgers would pay to fly Sid Fernandez in for Game 4, so he could shut down the Red Sox again for old time's sake?

An agent as a GM . . . . that's not a good move, right? #OnlyTheMets

ETA: Here's Bill Simmons on Game 6. I think I tried searching for this last year with no luck, so I'm happy it's online now.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

Okay, Puig is repulsive (even though I'm rooting for the Dodgers.)

BUT ... 

Unlike the billions of blah, blah, blah home runs hit during the regular season, THAT is why a homer is exciting.  It's been earned by wearing down the pitcher.  The game and the series are teetering in the balance.  Can the pitcher get that last out?  And ... boom.  Exciting.

58 minutes ago, twoods said:

I think the Dodgers baseball IQ has been terrible so far. One on with zero out and two guys try to go for home runs? Painful.

Or bases loaded with 1 out and you hack at the first pitch. Really, the throw home by the 2nd baseman was poor which led to throwing error. Otherwise, it's a double play. 

I'm surprised that these are the best teams in baseball. Boston has been really poor fielding, and LA just hacks away at the plate. 

Edited by ganesh
4 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Oh, come on.  Puig may be a dickhead, but he is a gorgeously assembled man.  If he were the exact same guy but played for the Giants, you would not have that attitude.

I'm on record as hating LeBron James with a passion, but he's a gorgeous man, I'll give him that.

2 hours ago, catrox14 said:

What is this from?

It's from the ESPN Body issue, I believe.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, NUguy514 said:

Oh, come on.  Puig may be a dickhead, but he is a gorgeously assembled man.  If he were the exact same guy but played for the Giants, you would not have that attitude.

I'm on record as hating LeBron James with a passion, but he's a gorgeous man, I'll give him that.

I absolutely would have that same attitude. I can't stand Hunter Strickland and he's on the Giants. He's a fucking meathead and I'm sure he has lovely abs, but believe it or not, someone's personality greatly affects how I view their attractiveness. There's been other Giants who had shitty personalities that I personally couldn't root for. So please don't even try telling me I'd find someone like Puig not repulsive if he was a Giant. He'd never fit in with that ball club anyway. 

The Dodgers need to stop pretending every  hit and every  run just won them the WS. You do not have to come on the field all the time, celebrate in the dug out.  Yes  I am an old stick in the mud but it is over kill, imo.