Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Someone's gotta compete with the Diamondbacks on ugliest variety of uniforms ever.

I don’t mind the Diamondbacks uniforms, although I think their road grays are too dark. The uniform I really hate is that black sleeveless one the Rockies have. Now that is ugly. 

21 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Why would Oakland possibly want Sonny Gray back?  I mean yes, he was hugely popular in Oakland, but he was a bust in New York.

Gray pitched fine as long as he wasn’t in Yankee Stadium (and Sanchez wasn’t his catcher). His home/road splits were very strange that way. I actually wouldn’t mind if Houston tried to get him. They’re good with pitching reclamation projects. 

• Love 1

Glad McCann is winding it down in ATL. I really liked him when he was a Yankee. Team player. I guess Donaldson's shoulder woes are history, yes?

Toe, we hardly knew ye. So well liked by his team mates and when he was sent to AAA the team played listless ball. I miss the Didi, Judge, Starlin,Torreyes cameraderie from 2017. Cubs better treat him right. 

• Love 3

This made me snort.

ETA: The comments are hilarious, particularly one that says, "The guy on the right looks like he's ready to be beaten by Boston."
Edited by kariyaki
  • Love 2

Brewers do not tender Jonathan Schoop. He is a FA. Hmmmm, I see him fitting in on Yanks. Plays various positions, I think. Plus he is great friends with Didi. What's not to love especially without Torreyes. 

Edited by prican58

So the key part of the Mets/Mariners deal is Edwin Perez, who had 57 saves last year. So I'm guessing if he makes it to Flushing and doesn't get hurt, he'll get 35 at most? Once again: this is a snake-bit franchise. Also, you need more capable guys in the bullpen than just a closer.

11 hours ago, prican58 said:

I think Wilmer would accept anything offered by the Mets if it would mean being a lifetime Met. Kid bleeds orange and blue.

I remember watching that game when he was literally crying because he thought he had been traded.

• Love 4

I really think O.co was the worst of the worst.

I amuse myself by getting annoyed with corporate naming rights when Wrigley Field is like a hundred years old and I’ve lived in the shadows of the Carrier Dome since its inception.

But there is just something about seeing highlights of games from the Polo Grounds or Connie Mack Stadium, you know?  And I won’t mention Yankee Stadium because it’s pandering.

Edited by mojoween

The naming of older ballparks is funny. Back in the 50s, August Busch bought the Cardinals team and its ballpark and after renovations tried to rename the ballpark "Budweiser Stadium". The commissioner vetoed that idea because he wasn't keen on naming a ballpark after a beer, so they named it after the owner's family. Anheuser-Busch then promptly released a new beer called Busch Bavarian Beer. Although this was obviously done to game the system, it turns out Busch Beer is actually named after the stadium, not the other way around.

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 4

I guess that was the benefit of expansion teams. They were created for their specific city and were named something meaningful for the community. Astros and space, Miami and fish, Mariners and the sea, etc...

• Love 3
On 12/4/2018 at 5:12 AM, mojoween said:

I don’t know how old Milwaukee’s franchise is, but how did we end up with a team named after someone who MAKES the beer, if the commish didn’t want a stadium named after beer?

The Brewers were named after a former minor league team that played in the city. 

If you really want to take a deep dive into the Cards and the Busch family, I highly recommend checking out chapter four of the book Bitter Brew, by William Knoedelseder.

Short version, August Busch didn't care about baseball. One of his advisers recommended he buy it as a PR and business move. At the time the Cards had a huge regional audience being the team furthest west. Buying the team meant that Busch could take the media rights from the company that made Falstaff beer, keep the team from moving to Milwaukee, home of competitors of Schlitz and Pabst and have seventy plus home games of people drinking nothing but Busch products. 

My favorite part of the story was when he first met with the team and got upset that the team was all white. He said, "Hell, we sell beer to everyone."

And then the Congress got involved. (This was only a couple of decades after prohibition.)

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6

Is this a space where we can gush about cute players?

I love Nathan Eovaldi! Not only was he balls to the wall for Game 3 of the WS but he seems very humble and sweet. And boy he got paid!!

This Red Sox team seem to be just a great bunch!

image.thumb.png.cb2059d289ded9542ab924b8d77a9a35.png

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

Nathan doesn't look that great in uniform, but boy he cleans up well; he's a better looking version of Jake Gyllenhaal.

Every one looks great in that uniform!!!!  :-)

Ok, except maybe Bob Stanley......