Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E17: Put A Ring On It.

When Michael gets himself in a bad situation, the Gladiators launch into damage control and put pressure on Cyrus to move up the wedding. Meanwhile, David takes the first step in executing his plan to take down B613.

Wait--the scene in the bedroom with the rose petals, when did that happen? I was having trouble keeping track of the flashbacks. Cyrus looked terrible in the Janet flashbacks, though.

So remind me--Cyrus is royally pissed at Michael becuse Michael was basically spying on him, right?

I can't believe that I am saying this, but I absolutely loved this episode. It was ridiculous, but so freaking moving at the same time. I actually teared up during the the scene with Michael and Cyrus at the table. Stevie Wonder's All is Fair in Love was perfect for the final montage. Poor Michael. What a hellish life, he has endured. Hopefully, Cyrus does not get him killed and Ella loves him.

Fitz and Olivia still have chemistry that makes me swoon. I loved the flashback scene where he gave her the ring and then the present day scenes with both them. I knew she would be wearing the ring in the end that made me go "awww." I don't care how dysfunctional their love is, I only continue to peek in to see Fitz and Olivia in love. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 9

I think I loved this episode, it felt like original Scandal. Loved the flashbacks and all the Cyrus focus, Sally being back, Liv at the Whitehouse, Liv&Mellie together. 

I didn't understand Liv's ring. Didn't she throw it at Fitz in the Oval? Why was she ransacking her apartment and how did it end up in a vase at home?

Loved seeing the flashbacks of James, very glad too considering the circumstances of his murder/Cyrus focus that they didn't force Jake into this episode. He didn't belong.

I felt for Michael after that dinner with his parents. The wedding was great, liked the photo at the end.

• Love 3

ELLA LIVES!!! I saw a 1/2 second video of her!  I had thought that she was a myth, like a unicorn or something.

The old Scandal is back--at least for one episode.  I never realized that this show was a rollicking comedy, but it is because:

1.  Flashback where Cyrus tells James he will never ask him to compromise his integrity (HA!)

2.  Flashback of Cyrus' rug--the 70s one on his head that is

Michael is sweet.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 4

I don't know why some gay men want to support the Republican party.  Sally Langston is actually tame, I think, compared to all the politicians and preachers and pundits that go on about homosexuals being what's wrong with America and should be killed and are going to hell and "we're not telling you what we think, were just telling you 'The Truth'" or bullshit like that.

And, no, the revelation of the short-comings of some of these spouters isn't much of a consolation.

Don't know why I read such things, what with their saying of "unrepentant" homosexuals go to hell and are being misled by the gay affirmative.  I worry my mother when I do read those things.

Enough about me.

Cyrus was at his most pathetic tonight.  And did we really need to see The Male Prostitute's homophobic parents?  We get it.

Improbably, I thought the two of them hugging after that dinner from hell was sweet.  Hope love grows.

And, of course, Leo is at his most scumbaggyist.

And I'm already tired of Olivia's PTSD.  At least next episode, her ex is going to go crazy.  Should be fun.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 2

Quite possibly the single worst episode of Scandal ever. We get more Olitz crap. We know Cyrus doesn't care about anyone above Cyrus, unless his name is Putz. Mellie continues to be tiring. Oliva continues to be mediorce -- say what you want about Rowan, his assessment of his daughter when he tried to put to put her on that plane the first time was dead on.

Only good parts were the scenes with James.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 5

I really liked this episode a lot because of the reasons stated above. It reminded me of "old" Scandal. Plus, Jeff Perry is just so good, as is Kate Burton. It was a treat to see them each get considerable screen time again. It felt tighter and more focused than previous episodes. Liv was fixing, Huck wasn't killing people, Mellie was ambitious, Sally was self-righteous, Fitz was following orders.

I didn't miss Jake at all. Oops, did I say that out loud?

• Love 3

I was absolutely bored beyond belief with this episode. The only part I liked was Cyrus talking with Michael before the wedding.

I am so over Olivia and Fitz their story line needs to buried deep, in a welded sealed tight safe, 12 feet below ground, covered in cement, and in a non-disclosed location so it can NEVER be dug up again.

In the preview I guess the writers have come to the conclusion that they really have NO purpose for Jake so let's make him a little bit crazy and write him off the series. This has got to be one of the worst seasons yet IMO.

I am slowly losing ALL my patience with Scandal!

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 9

Olivia threw it at Fitz when he came to see her at her apartment when he first saw her after the kidnapping. 

Ah, now it makes sense. It bounced into the vase Thanks.

• Love 2

I liked it quite a bit. Definitely an upper after last week. 

Cyrus and his wig. He was supposed to be 35ish in that flashback, right? Couldn't they do any sort of make-up job to make his face look younger? Revenge id the same thing in a flashback for Conrad - slapped some hair dye on him to make him 20 years younger. Um, no. 

I'm so happy that they cut out the subplot in the ep description that I won't even complain about the Olitz for once. An entire episode with no mention of B#whatever, and Huck didn't torture/kill anyone, an omission which is probably not entirely unrelated to the aforementioned lack of B#whatever.

And I did like getting a Cyrus episode.

I laughed at where Sally landed post-election. That's somehow exactly right, her going to become a right-wing TV pundit, and finding it way more satisfying than being a politician.

Too bad the promo for next week indicates it's back to the same ol' same ol' B#whatever. Well, it was a nice little run of episodes while it lasted, I guess, minus the Huck/Sue thing.

• Love 1

Jeff Perry's wig is distracting.

I like flashback eps, so liked seeing Cyrus with his first wife and James (!). Also liked the new Fitz/Liv flashback. Had (thankfully) forgotten all about Sweet Baby (a term of endearment I find a little creepy), and liked what it meant, but unless Fitz was already calling Liv that before giving her the ring (and I didn't get that impression from the translation), I'm not sure it makes sense that he'd be calling Amanda Tanner "Sweet Baby." Unless that's his general term of endearment in addition to it being the name of a ring not worn by anyone with whom he was ever (at that time) still involved.

James!

Was glad that Cyrus didn't flat-out claim he'd never kill Michael. Though I didn't find that exchange as cute as was probably intended.

Michael's parents are awful. Glad they didn't end up throwing him under the bus. Though Cyrus came closer to killing his husband than he did throwing his faux-fiancé to the media wolves. Liked their scene right before the wedding, and Cy recognizing that Michael is a decent person and that his poor daughter could use some decent people.

Didn't miss Jake. Or the minimal Huck.

I don't really care about the faux-wedding, but did like the light tone of this episode. It's been a dark back half of the season.

• Love 1

Was glad that Cyrus didn't flat-out claim he'd never kill Michael. Though I didn't find that exchange as cute as was probably intended.

I don't know if it was supposed to be cute,  found Cyrus's response back as the truth. lol Especially after Amanda Tanner.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 2

Quite possibly the single worst episode of Scandal ever. We get more Olitz crap. We know Cyrus doesn't care about anyone above Cyrus, unless his name is Putz. Mellie continues to be tiring. Oliva continues tube mediorce -- say what you want about Rowan, his assessment of his daughter when he tried to put to put her on that plane the first time was dead on.

Yes, I changed channels when the first Cyrus flashback started (could he have looked any more ridiculous?) and that was it. 

I did change back to see the previews for next week. Seriously? That's where they're going next?

I used to love this show but it's recently been reduced to the "show I watch to fill in the hour before Vikings starts".  Now, it won't even be that anymore.

• Love 1

I cried big tears for Michael.  You look at the guy, he's tall and beautiful, seems to have all the advantages, yet he was stupid to expect anything different from his parents.  They hurt him, Cyrus saw it and somehow that reached Cyrus.  And the connection between Cyrus and Olivia, then she announced the change of plans, I liked that a lot, too.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 6

Good episode but the thing with the homophobic parents was trite. People need to learn to write homophobes better. They're not fire-breathing Pat Robertson types who actively try to hurt their kids. Not all of them, at least. A lot of parents who have problems with their kids being gay, for all intents and purposes, love them. They view being gay as a "lifestyle" that is wrong, not that their child is broken and needs to be sent off somewhere to be fixed. Of course this isn't an endorsement of homophobia, but even people with flawed thinking should be portrayed accurately.

Edited by 27bored

I really liked this episode a lot because of the reasons stated above. It reminded me of "old" Scandal. Plus, Jeff Perry is just so good, as is Kate Burton. It was a treat to see them each get considerable screen time again. It felt tighter and more focused than previous episodes. Liv was fixing, Huck wasn't killing people, Mellie was ambitious, Sally was self-righteous, Fitz was following orders.

I didn't miss Jake at all. Oops, did I say that out loud?

YESSSS to all of this, and I'll raise you one. I never miss Jake. I never bought him as a romantic hero (he's creepy) and his buddy Huck is loooong past his expiration date.  I sincerely hope the B-vitamins off each other next week.

I almost squealed with delight at seeing Sally again.  Oh how I have missed her smug, self-righteousness, arrogant condescension.  Now those are some words I never thought I would say.

And yes, the flashbacks of Cyrus as a "young" man were ridiculous, but a bad wig can only do so much.  I didn't care though, because those flashbacks of his first 2 marriages made his talk with Michael in the end that much more poignant.  Yeah, he lied his way through his marriages to people he loved, so maybe he will actually be better with someone he doesn't.  Besides, I like Michael and so does Ella. I wish I'd seen more than a second of her, but her pouring flowers on Michael's hair was precious.

Everything else was vintage Scandal, right down to Olivia's fabulous white suit in the end.  I LOVED it!  This was the Scandal that I love and missed and hope is finally back again.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 6

Good episode but the thing with the homophobic parents was trite. People need to learn to write homophobes better. They're not fire-breathing Pat Robertson types who actively try to hurt their kids. Not all of them, at least. A lot of parents who have problems with their kids being gay, for all intents and purposes, love them. They view being gay as a "lifestyle" that is wrong, not that their child is broken and needs to be sent off somewhere to be fixed. Of course this isn't an endorsement of homophobia, but even people with flawed thinking should be portrayed accurately.

For that generation, I think the show nailed the belligerent homophobic father and the mother trying to smooth things over while not expressing her opinion about her son's sexuality. It reminded me of the James McGreevey's parents at his press conference. The father's horrible body language and rolling of the eyes, while his mother was stoic. 

And yes, the flashbacks of Cyrus as a "young" man were ridiculous, but a bad wig can only do so much.  I didn't care though, because those flashbacks of his first 2 marriages made his talk with Michael in the end that much more poignant.  Yeah, he lied his way through his marriages to people he loved, so maybe he will actually be better with someone he doesn't.  Besides, I like Michael and so does Ella. I wish I'd seen more than a second of her, but her pouring flowers on Michael's hair was precious.

So precious. Ella was so adorable. With her to love him, I think that Michael can be happy. 

I don't buy for a second that Jake will be gone. He is best buds with Shonda Rhimes. The preview was probably misleading.

• Love 3

With all the money this show spends on wardrobe and set pieces, you think they could afford a decent wig. That was absolutely horrible, and distracting. He's had to wear a wig several times in the show - just buy a good one, already!

• Love 1

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I liked this episode.  The guy playing Michael did a great job.   Wig=awful.  Didn't miss the crazy Huck, B-613 (or whatever) or Jake at all. Sorry about the bold.  I forgot it was on.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 2

I realized when I woke up this morning that I could not remember what the episode was about. Ah Scandal, it used to fill mu brain on Friday mornings.

Can't remember why Cyrus has to marry Michael anymore.  Something about blackmail, an agreement with Michael to make it look like Cyrus was not going to a prostitute?  Cyrus should have gotten over that and broken off with him when the photos came out.  He would have had a good excuse and people would not have judged him.  That being said, I always liked Michael, especially when he was just in his skivvies, so I am hoping that their relationship develops to something more than Michael being a good substitute father for Ella.

Loved me some Sally.  A way better foil for Fitz than his other VPs. And while I liked Mellie taking down someone, I wish it was not another woman. Would love to see 2 strong women team up and take over an election and do it well. Make it 3 women if they include Liv at times. 

As far as the ring goes, Fitz should have been saving it for his daughter since it has been in the family for so many generations.  Not given it to his mistress.  Mistresses get new bling, daughters get family heirlooms.  Someone who seems to come from old money, like Ftiz, should know that!

• Love 5

40% of homeless kids are LGBT. Why is that?

Homophobia is a continuum. I agree that not all homophobes are fire-breathing Pat Robertson types actively trying to hurt their kids. But nor is the portrayal on Scandal of Michael's parents an inaccurate one. It's not representative of all homophobes, but it is certainly representative of a group of them.

• Love 9

I don't buy for a second that Jake will be gone. He is best buds with Shonda Rhimes. The preview was probably misleading.

I agree, however, I hope that this is the end of him as a romantic interest for Olivia. I'd rather see Bachelor #3 come back to complete the triangle with Fitz over Jake. Healthy, age appropriate relationship with a normal guy vs. the baggage-laden love affair of all those years. A chance at happiness and normalcy in the present compared to the unhealthy pull of the past. That's good drama, to me.

I keep wondering if putting Scott Foley and Katie Lowes together in those TGIT promos means something...

Wow Liv, it only took you three episodes for you to be scrambling on your hands and knees to find (and put back on) that stupid ring.  You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

You know what, this is several months too late, but I am done.  I have better things to do than watch a woman bend over backwards for a toxic trainwreck of a relationship with a pitiful, sexist excuse of a man.  Peace out.

Wait--the scene in the bedroom with the rose petals, when did that happen? I was having trouble keeping track of the flashbacks. Cyrus looked terrible in the Janet flashbacks, though.

So remind me--Cyrus is royally pissed at Michael becuse Michael was basically spying on him, right?

Cyrus is pissed at Michael because Michael was spying on him for Elizabeth North. He's also probably pissed at himself for a) being stupid enough to be caught with a male prostitute who spied on him b) having to marry Michael as damage control and c) seeing this arranged marriage as an insult to the man he truly loved, James. (and by "truly loved," I mean as much as you can love someone you contemplate having murdered, someone you pimped out to get dirt on someone and someone you manipulated by offering scoops and a cute orphan baby.)

Speaking of which, I was wondering why no one reminded that taking Cyrus down means that Cyrus has nothing to lose by outing her late husband and more importantly, letting it come out that she murdered her late husband.

Also, if the guy Michael had an affair with is such a hot commodity and wants to come forward, what's to stop him from going to any number of news outlets once Sally has rejected him?

Fitz only called Liv Sweet Baby...the tape was faked and whoever put her in Fitz' path fed her the Sweet Baby line.

As I recall, when Olivia confronted Fitz about allegedly calling Amanda Tanner "sweet baby," he never said "I totally didn't do that."

Can't remember why Cyrus has to marry Michael anymore.  Something about blackmail, an agreement with Michael to make it look like Cyrus was not going to a prostitute?  Cyrus should have gotten over that and broken off with him when the photos came out.  He would have had a good excuse and people would not have judged him.  That being said, I always liked Michael, especially when he was just in his skivvies, so I am hoping that their relationship develops to something more than Michael being a good substitute father for Ella.

I agree - it seemed weird that the solution to Michael being caught with another guy was to get married, rather than to break-up. You had a perfect solution there, Liv, and then you just gummed it all up.

That being said, I did actually like this episode. It was nice for Cyrus to (eventually) have something to do other than yell. Additionally, I liked his realization that he and Michael, if not in love, could at least be kind to each other.

I really hate that every one of Fitz & Olivia's "romantic" encounters start with her saying no, and him ignoring her. Every time. It's revolting. Their relationship is so, so terrible.

• Love 2

I liked this Cyrus-centric episode alot.  It's good to see what he was like back then.  And what we see back then, he wasn't exactly likable.  Cyrus married that nice lady to further his political positions and to mask his homosexuality and he ended up hurting her in the end.  And of course, poor James!  Cyrus used him too.  No, Cyrus is not a nice man.  He's a real political animal and he will use anyone to get his way and trample on anyone that gets in his way too.  This episode also serves to kind of humanize Cyrus too, which was pretty interesting.

Boy, Cyrus was ready to throw Michael under the bus.  But how can anyone do that to Michael after meeting his shitty, homophobic parents?  My cheeks actually burned in sympathy embarassment with Michael, who was forced to sit there in that fancy restaurant with his parents who hate him and with his fiance who hates him too and take all that shit coming out with a calm face.

Cyrus was incredibly compassionate to Michael in that great scene before the wedding.  Cyrus was upfront with Michael about himself and also that he will be a good friend to Michael because he believes Michael is a good person.  That has got to be the nicest, most decent thing Cyrus has ever done for anyone.  I confess, I teared up a bit when Michael put his face onto Cyrus neck and cried while Cyrus put his arms around him.

Wow!  Cyrus being a decent person?  Who knew?

• Love 4

Are they still trying to make "Bitch baby" happen?

Evidently so. But who can blame them, if asshat can happen, no reason bitch baby couldn't.

Not that either should happen, but what can you do?

Certainly a heartfelt episode, but I don't see why I should care as Cyrus' new husband is now just going to go back into his hermetically sealed packaging, along with young Ella. And as a case of the week, cleaning up the Cyrus mess is just not something to care about. The easiest way to solve this was for Cyrus to resign, like he should have way back when, but didn't because Olivia tried to make fetch, I mean bitch baby happen. I know Cyrus has been portrayed as being indispensable to the Shits administration, but he is just Chief-of-Staff. Any President worth his salt is going to have at least 3 of them during their time in office. In truth, he is only slightly less replaceable than the Press Secretary. But then this is the show where we are supposed to buy Cyrus doling out a cool $3,000,000 just to keep Gabby's completely mediocre skill set in the White House.

I don't buy for a second that Jake will be gone. He is best buds with Shonda Rhimes.

Probably, but hopefully TPTB are realizing he's not needed as a regular. He's pretty pointless.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1

I don't see what Abbey sees in Leo.  He is  a scumbag, and he isn't attractive, and he did supernaasty things with Leah Dunham (thought that was b4 he met Abbey)  There's gotta be a better guy for her.  I loved her and David.  I don't even remember how they broke up.

One great thing about this episode was that Fitz was in like 3 minutes of it.

I loved Portia de Rossi's hair, not all mohawked like before. I loved having her have to say "Mrs.Grant" over and over all obsequiously.

Even if they bought a decent wig, what could they have done about his face?

They could have used one of those Gloria Swanson wide elastic bands that pull your face taut under his wig. 

Edited by WhineandCheez

Even if they bought a decent wig, what could they have done about his face?

Lucasfilm Industrial, Light and Magic or at least throw a couple of jars of vaseline on the lens. 

Edited by islandgal140

Jake-less Scandal does not keep me interested. Neither do horny glances between Liv and the Worst-TV-President-EVER-in-the-History-of-TV-Presidents. Must have been another episode written by Tony Goldwyn's manager. And the wig. OMG. Where did they find that AWFUL rug?

However, the no B-613 and minimal Huck DID work for me. As did putting Sally Langston in her place. I was always wondering when the whole "you killed your husband" shit was going to be thrown in her face. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4

I can't believe that I am saying this, but I absolutely loved this episode. It was ridiculous, but so freaking moving at the same time. I actually teared up during the the scene with Michael and Cyrus at the table.

The difference between a monologue and a speech.  One seems to happen from within the character; the other comes straight from the writer.  

• Love 2

I don't see what Abbey sees in Leo.  He is  a scumbag, and he isn't attractive, and he did supernaasty things with Leah Dunham (thought that was b4 he met Abbey)  There's gotta be a better guy for her.  I loved her and David.  I don't even remember how they broke up.

I totally agree. With regards to the bolded, the break up happened off screen and we just got a throw away line in the season opener. It seems the B613 files overwhelmed him and made him pull back IIRC.

It was okay. Not great and not awful. No B613, so that's the good part.  Super predictable.  Oh, a hooker with a heart of gold. How very original, Scandal.

I didn't quite understand the Cyrus/James honeymoon part. Was Cyrus just asking James to spin a story or was there something else going on?  I mean, I know he was manipulating him, but was it tied to a different story?

What a shxt husband. I guess even in the early days when he supposedly loved Mellie, he didn't give he the family ring meant for her. Then he passes it off to his mistress.

What an incompetent president, and flaccid man with no morals or any redeeming qualities. What a piece of trash.

He makes me sick.

• Love 4

I didn't quite understand the Cyrus/James honeymoon part. Was Cyrus just asking James to spin a story or was there something else going on?  I mean, I know he was manipulating him, but was it tied to a different story?

Reporter X was going to break a critical story saying President Grant hadn't done anything in the area of immigration reform.

Cyrus planted a story idea with James where the spin would be "President Grant has been working like a dog behind the scenes to get immigration reform passed" to neutralize Reporter X's story. 

A few things:

1. The show has tom stop using Sally as a credible villain or a credible threat. Team Fitz KNOWS that (a) Sally signed off on her teenaged daughter's abortion, (b) Sally killed her husband © who was gay and less discreet about it than Aaron Schock. And now that James is dead Cyrus has no reason to protect him, so Sally is completely under their thumb. I know Shondaland likes Kate Burton, but too bad. Find a new villain.

2. The audience is supposed to LIKE Fitz, right? Supposed to ship him and Olivia and hope they end up together in Vermont or whatever? Then, leaving aside everything else (his treatment of Mellie, his affairs, his murder, his general incompetence as a President), why are they making him a coward about same-sex marriage? How does that make the audience not hate him? How does a showrunner that's deservedly earned so much praise for her treatment of LGBT people decide "coward who sucks up to bigots" is how she wants to portray her romantic lead? And how does it even make sense from an optics perspective, that Fitz is the godfather to a child adopted by a legally married gay couple but won't have an official position on same sex marriage EVEN AS THE WHITE HOUSE HOSTS THE LEGAL GAY WEDDING OF HIS CHIEF OF STAFF?

3. Poor Ella. I hope Cyrus is saving up for her therapy.

• Love 9

I'll fully admit this with no shame; I teared up at the Olitz "Sweet Baby" scene. It was well written and acted, and it didn't seem contrived. I've wondered why her throwing that ring at him seemed to really hurt him.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode. Scandal needed some lightness terribly. 

• Love 1

There's gotta be a better guy for her.  I loved her and David.  I don't even remember how they broke up.

They broke up because she lied to him and used sex to trick him into letting her into his apartment so she could steal the Defiance disk. She is a terrible person and I've always hated her judgmental, loud, petty ass. I LOVE it that Stephen never paid attention to her because she's horrid and I STILL want her off the show. She's half as good as Olivia but will get twice the opportunities; she should've included that in her speech to her scumbag boyfriend.

I will never understand how Olivia is the horrible mistress, but everyone roots for Meredith Grey. 

Fitz didn't give the ring to Mellie because pre-retcon Mellie had no personality. At their first meeting she just sat and smiled like a mannequin as the fathers negotiated a dowry/settlement. She had no personality and never spoke during their first meeting, just smiled. See it's that pre-retcon Mellie that keeps me from buying the "I made you" Mellie. 

• Love 3

Yes, I changed channels when the first Cyrus flashback started (could he have looked any more ridiculous?) and that was it. 

I did change back to see the previews for next week. Seriously? That's where they're going next?

I used to love this show but it's recently been reduced to the "show I watch to fill in the hour before Vikings starts".  Now, it won't even be that anymore.

I gave up a couple of weeks ago.  I just read this forum for the snark, which is quite delicious. 

• Love 2

I will never understand how Olivia is the horrible mistress, but everyone roots for Meredith Grey. 

Meredith did not know that Derek was married when she became involved with Derek. Derek and Addison were separated. When they tried reconciling, Meredith backed the heck off. Even though Meredith started off as an intern and Derek was her superior, they always acted as equals and at this point in their relationship, they are basically equals.

Olivia knowingly slept with Fitz as a married man (with children), and Fitz and Mellie have never physically separated. Olivia has basically continuously been sleeping with Fitz with the rare bouts of conscience that last for about five seconds. There is a hugely unhealthy power dynamic between Fitz and Olivia that's best summarized by Marie's metaphor of Olivia being "the Help."

• Love 4