Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E00: I Was There / S14.E01: Katie

• Start Topic

The show celebrates its 10th anniversary with the cast and crew sharing their highest highs and lowest lows of dealing with drug addiction; and they provide behind-the-scenes stories of what it takes to get people the help they need.

Cocaine and heroin addiction plagues a successful dancer in the Season 14 premiere.

1Can't wait for this, but of course due to The Walking Dead also being on at 9pm (priorities people, lol!!!) it's going on the DVR for later. I will watch the Behind the Scenes special though, that looks crazy.

And I was totally right. I'm sure the stories they are showing are some of the most insane/bizarre/scary moments but I am sure each crew member/producer/interventionist has tons of interesting war stories from being part of this show. This behind the scenes show could probably be 8hrs long, and not get everything.

• Love 1

Too bad about Katie, but I'm a long-time addict and I'm telling you, that girl lived every addicts dream: drugs delivered to her, cash handed to her and a place to use with no responsibilities. Why WOULD she stay clean?? I really hope that boyfriend didn't let her come back, but I'm betting he did. She sure did look better after 90 days of treatment. I'm predicting she'll die using, unfortunately. BTW, I still love Candy Finnigan to the moon and back!

• Love 7

I liked the special, it was interesting and good to see a couple of updates but I too would have liked to have had more. 

Katie, what a brat.  I thought her demeanor was odd when she was video chatting with Candy and figured she would not stay clean. 

• Love 2

After that many stints in rehab, I'm not surprised. I did think it was interesting that she admitted that she wasn't trying to suppress any kind of terrible childhood memory. That seemed to be a first for the show.

• Love 4

It was strange that Katie actually sought out to be a drug user, convincing her parents to change her school so she could have access to drugs. No childhood trauma, loving family. She just likes drugs.

As someone said upthread...yeah, she had no reason to be clean, really. She didn't have to pimp herself out or poop in the street or anything. She had a steady supply of drugs. I really felt for her mom, because she seemed really burned out and I understand losing hope.

Hooray for Allison! (huff)

• Love 9

The show subjects who are seemingly on drugs for no good reason aren't as compelling IMHO.  Not that I really needed for her to have been molested as a child or something, but she just seemed like a spoiled brat who had always been enabled. 

• Love 6

I'm generally way more optimistic than is reasonable with this show, but I don't think Katie is going to survive. Her demeanor when she mentioned "This is the 14th time..." made me think she's really given up on herself. Also, I found her really eerie when Candy was saying "LOOK ME IN THE EYE AND SWEAR TO GOD that if we let you go home to get high, you'll come back." She was looking at the ground and then looked up at Candy with the creepiest little smirk before saying yes. idk maybe I'm reading her totally wrong but.... Katie seems like she's already gone. Especially since her family was already so close to giving up on her.

She just seems too used to all of it. 

Edited by SeenYouWitKieffah
  • Love 8

Love Candy! She is super. So sad at Katy, I predicted she would not stay sober and what, she relapsed 4 days after leaving treatment? Agree with posters up thread, no childhood trauma, intact family, good people. Katie will die a junkie in my opinion. The "I was there" special was awesome. Oh, my gosh, it was "Gambling Gabe." He is like the urban legend of Intervention, we can never find him on repeats. Wish we had a real time update on him.

• Love 4

I'm glad this show is back. Yes, "Gambling Gabe" I would like to see an update on him.

I truly enjoyed learning more about the show "behind the scenes."

I have wondered if it would be harder to find addicts who've never heard of the show, and who therefore wouldn't know an intervention was coming.

But I guess most addicts aren't watching A&E... 

I notice they've changed the on screen text fonts. tweaked the open, etc. I WISH they'd leave stuff like that alone. I know when a show is seasons along producers feel the need to 'freshen' it up. But it was success full AS IT FIRST WAS. Stop messing with it!

That said I must admit I didn't watch the season premiere episode. It was up against part of the "Good Wife" AND a "Housewives" show. So  I'll have to catch it later. (I DO wish "hoarders' would come back. Intervention and Hoarders were GREAT companion shows for each other.)

• Love 3

Katie most likely does have some reason for having done drugs, but she's too far gone to even ever remember what that was.  Her memories are most likely forever gone. She reminded me of a typical youngest - more parental time, more parental money, completely selfish.   Her Mom is one of the bravest people we've seen on Intervention - able to completely explain what she has had to do - totally compartmentalize her worry over Katie, and try to put one foot in front of the other.  13 prior rehabs - can you even imagine it?

I loved the behind the scenes episode.  I'm sure there are more stories.

• Love 1

Did anybody else think the Katie episode seemed... false?  I felt like I was watching actors reading a script.  Agreed with others that especially after the horrific 'best of' cases on the "I Was There" ep, it was hard to really get too worked up over Katie.

• Love 3

The father held some religious-flavored 'hope' but everyone had given up... rightly so.

The sister that went in with gloves?  The gloves were for nothing.  They were a merely symbol of how she doesn't not want to come into contact with the addict's world.

Yes, Katie will die.  She will soon lose the little weight she gained, her heart will stop, she will get infections, etc.  She doesn't want to let go of the high, the drive will follow her to her grave.

• Love 1

Katie was annoying. I wonder if now that everyone cut her off she will get better. 14 times in rehab??? Do most addicts even live long enough to do 14 times in rehab? Sad :-( hopefully she can pull it together

It was a very different dynamic with the family who seems like they had their fair share of alanon. 

Loved the bashit cray episode, I wish they did the updates at the end...I could have watched 6 hours of that. 

• Love 1

I found it refreshing to have a family where there wasn't a lot of unnecessary drama, normal people, no horrific childhood for the addict.  I agree with others that she will die before long.  

Really enjoyed the behind the scenes show.  I've often wondered at what point the producers would step in if they felt it was a life or death situation.

• Love 2

Today I learned that crack addicts in Wilkes-Barre have nicer apartments than mine.

For serious. Every time they showed that house, I was like, gasp. If that has high ceilings, I'm moving in.

And the sisters were all, "Yeesh. It's a really bad neighborhood." Sliding scale, I guess.

idk maybe I'm reading her totally wrong but.... Katie seems like she's already gone. Especially since her family was already so close to giving up on her.

She just seems to used to all of it. 

Yeah, I think she's doomed. She would have a really long slog back to being a functional member of society - has she worked ever? Any education? It seemed like she'd been doing nothing but sitting around getting high for ten, twelve years. Maybe she knew on some level how hard it would be to put a life together and just didn't feel like being bothered.

• Love 2

I liked the behind-the-scenes show but I wish they had given us more updates instead of having producer talking heads saying, "That was scary" "That was intense" etc.

She graduated from high school and completed cosmetology school. She said she used to dream about living in CA and doing make-up for a living.

Add me to the folks who didn't think Katey's long term chances were that good. The drug dealer boyfriend negated any leverage her family might have had. Plus, she still seemed dead in the eyes when she was talking to Candy at the end. Loved the update on the Walking on Sunshine woman! In contrast to Katie, the light in her eyes was super bright. On a side note, I really hate the player on the Intervention website. It took me about two hours to watch the episode because it kept freezing and crashing. Why they don't just put it on You Tube like Cold Justice does, is a mystery.

• Love 1

Plus, she still seemed dead in the eyes when she was talking to Candy at the end. 

The dead eyes are a giveaway. I remember one subject who was hospitalized for alcohol poisoning and drank hand sanitizer from a unit on the wall in his hospital room, and while he went to treatment his eyes were completely dead - absolutely nothing behind them at all. It was scary. He relapsed and I think he ended up homeless. He's not on any Intervention death list that I've seen so maybe he turned things around, but when his ep aired I saw nothing but hopelessness in him.

• Love 1

Allison did look great! It was like she is so happy, and light, and full of life. It was really nice to see her doing so well. Katie? Not so much. She just came off, I don't know? Entitled? That's not the word I was looking for but it's close. I feel like I need more information about her AND her family to care. I almost wish I hadn't watched but seeing Allison, Jeff, and Candy made it worth it.

Can we get an entire season of "I Was There" please? I liked that much better!

• Love 4

Allison had so much more going for her than a lot of the addicts. I believe she had a college degree from an Ivy and her family loved and supported her. Plus, she was huffing, so there were no illegal drugs and drug dealers involved. I get that it was still really hard and she was super addicted, but so many addicts have no real support when they get out.

I wonder if Allison uses compressed air on her computers? I would guess she just doesn't buy it at all.

• Love 1

There was something curiously flat about the new format and the Katie episode. Although I don't doubt her family's anguish, everyone seemed to be going through the motions. I guess the Skype sessions are to save money on production costs, but they fell flat for me.

I have watched every damn episode of Intervention, going all the way back to the beginning. I'll keep watching out of loyalty.

Allison looked and sounded fantastic - yay for Allison!

Candy will always and forever rock.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 5

Katie didn't come across as very sympathetic, but she didn't blame anyone else and those high standards she mentioned made me sad--she didn't shoot up in her groin, she hadn't screwed her supplier for months.  I missed where she got two grand per month? week? but I'm thinking her life is about to take a hard downswing.

I have no complaints about the format change or the Skype or anything they want to do, as long as they turn out more episodes. 

I remember one of the last old ones where the addict walked in and the interventionist started to introduce himself and the person said, "I know who you are.  I have a tv, ya know."  It was funny.

I miss the double feature with Hoarders, too.  My house would get a really good cleaning every week.

Yay, Allison!  And Yay, farmgal!  We're all proud for you--good work.  (I'm a farmgal, too, although I'd rather be brightlightsbigcitygal.)

• Love 1

She's my favorite as well. Jeff does gets the  job done, but even he seems a little weary of repeating 'people here who love you like crazy' line again and again.

• Love 2

One of my very and forever favorite Candy moments was when she told a 75 year old enabler of some 30 something yr old methadone/xanax addict "Don't question me!" 

As for Katie: I never heard that crack could ruin you teeth like that. I heard that stuff about meth but not crack. Just damn! Why weren't Rocky's teeth that jacked up? He was a homeless ex-boxer crackhead for goodness sake.  He should have been an absolute yuck mouth by all accounts then. Don't get me wrong he wouldn't be starring in any colgate commercials but I don't remember his teeth being that that bad. 

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 1

I loved revisiting Intervention's Greatest Hits! It's like they took our old thread from TWoP and brought back all of our favorites. Gabe carjacking his mom, Allison walking on sunshine...good times.

Is anyone else watching Better Call Saul? I forgot about Crazy Linda's episode where she was getting pain from electromagnetism and was screaming from the lights, etc. Could Intervention have inspired BCS's electrophobic character Chuck McGill?

Katie looked good enough in her Skype call from rehab that I thought she had a chance if she actually went to sober living. But no sober living, no recovery. That wasn't going to happen. She didn't go because she wanted to relapse. It's that simple. Once she's been off smack for three months, she'll start again at a much lower tolerance level and get better highs at a more affordable price (for a a little while). So why not go back?

• Love 2

The interview with Jeff was ... odd.  Something seemed very off with Katie, although physically she did look much better - she even said 'physically I feel amazing'... but then they never went back to how she was doing mentally\emotionally.  She seemed very off during that meeting.  And then two days later - she relapses.  I don't think she will make it.

But then... they show Allison.  Who I NEVER thought would get clean.  And look at her now - you go girl!  That was the best part of the episode.  Me and my friend at work spent HOURS analyzing the original Allison episode, and yes, of course, making fun of it.  Which makes us not good people, I know. But I was so happy to see her happy and CLEAN.

• Love 2

It's Ken!  Hi, Ken.

Like everyone else, I'm glad Allison is doing so well, but the recovery that really made me the happiest was seeing Sylvia sober and working so hard to stay that way.  That was one of the few episodes that I've never had a desire to re-watch, because it was not fun at all to see a human being in that much pain.  Also, she reminded me more than a little of my own mother, who is not an alcoholic, but has a similar "Southern WASP" background.

Anyway, Katie.  On the one hand, I guess it's good that the dad and sister Shannon still had some hope that the fourteenth time would be the charm, but on the other, I think the mom and sister Meghan knew if it was futile.  I knew this was doomed pretty much from jump, but when we see Meghan and Mom having an intervention ABOUT the intervention, by demanding that their participation be contingent on Shannon not dragging them through it again when it inevitably failed.  And I don't know that I necessarily think Shannon will be able to disconnect from her entirely.  

I loved Meghan.  She seemed the most realistic about Katie's chances.

I wonder why they didn't spend more time on the fact that Katie was basically prostituting herself in order to get her drugs.  When she was meeting with one of her dealers and the dealer told her something to the effect of "you better give that [n-word] some ass" and Katie giggling that that wasn't going to happen, I was just like "you awful, awful person."  Andre seemed beyond pathetic, and was probably using her just as much as she was using him, but that was the moment where she stopped being a person struggling with a disease, and become something akin to a sociopath.  I should be able to summon up some small measure of sympathy for her, but it was just burning contempt.

When she and Candi had their eye-to-eye agreement, I didn't see her being dead in the eyes, I saw her trying to manipulate Candi just like she manipulated everyone else.  I hope Candi was able to see through the bullshit, because she's usually good about that, but I don't know.

Do not like this new use of FaceTime to check in on the addict in recovery.

• Love 2

The way Katie was screaming and so upset when her sisters arrived at her apartment with the crew because she didn't give them permission to film her family made me wonder: I know the addicts think they are filming a documentary, but how does that come about?  Do the producers call them and say, I heard you are a crack addict and I would like to film you for a documentary!  I guess I just never thought of HOW they actually get the addict to believe it's a documentary in the first place. 

• Love 3

So happy this show is back, but, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need to know what happened to Allison's cats. I cannot stop thinking of those poor things and am pissed at the family that no one stepped up to take care of them. I shudder to think what might have happened inside the slaughterhouses described as shelters in this country.

Thank you so much MissMel! Being an animal advocate, I worry anytime I see an animal involved in any story. So happy they went back home and boy, does she look fantastic since she rehabbed. I also apologize to Allison's mom since now I know she stepped up for the cats.

• Love 1

No problem, Happy Belly. It did look crazy for the cats at first. I may not be remembering everything perfectly but I think everyone knew taking the cats was the only way to get her to go. In fact, I think Allison said as much in an update or the huffing special.

So it was the plan, all along, if she continued to refuse help. No money, no sugar daddy, nobody, and no cats if she went home. I think her mother had already planned on caring for the cats. She just couldn't let Allison know that at the time. It was filmed when she reunited with them. It was sweet to see it come full circle. (I'm fairly certain all this was shown on the huffing special but I'm not 100% positive on that)

• Love 2

Sylvia looked positively gorgeous in her update. She is one beautiful lady. She actually came and spoke at a ladie's luncheon at the rehab I was in. I really wanted to go but was unable to. I would love to meet her and give her a hug.

• Love 1

Here's my take on Katie.  She was a good girl who fell in with a bad crowd, and became addicted to drugs.  Maybe it was a form of rebellion.  I wonder what happened to the friends she hung out with.

Sweet baby Jesus, if I have to watch another person shoot up on this show, I will throw up.  14 rehabs?  I wonder how much those parents have spent to try to get that POS clean.  If she's not already dead, she'll be dead soon.  No sympathy for this one.

• Love 1

Sweet baby Jesus, if I have to watch another person shoot up on this show, I will throw up.  14 rehabs?  I wonder how much those parents have spent to try to get that POS clean.  If she's not already dead, she'll be dead soon.  No sympathy for this one.

No sympathy from me, either. I don't get why the show even gave her a chance. Somebody paid for 13 (13!!) rehab stints. If the family could foot that bill 13 times, they could have forked over a few more bucks for an interventionist if they thought it was important to have one.

It just felt like she took away a good, free, spot from someone that would have wanted and needed it. And who would have actually tried.

• Love 2