Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Spend

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

I'm with you here.  I don't get how Rick has lost any benefit of the doubt he ever earned because he had the temerity to look at a married woman.  Look.  Talk to.  Kiss on the cheek once. And yet everyone's decided he's halfway to raping her, three-quarters of the way to murdering her husband.  Like someone said above, I didn't take Carol's "you're going to have to kill him" as an order, just a resigned acceptance of the way things are likely to go down, based on what happened with Ed.  I didn't see Rick eagerly accepting and cleaning up his gun to get ready. 

I just think the character's earned a little more slack than he's getting.  I know a lot of people had their hearts set on seeing him with Michonne/Carol/Daryl whoever, and that the storyline's moving fast, but I don't see that as reason for all the vitriol Rick is getting.  No, they have not had him kill Pete so he can have Jessie.  Might that happen?  Sure.  Has it happened?  No.  I just can't get all worked up over things that are maybe down the road and maybe not.  Has nobody here ever had a crush on an unavailable person? 

It is like the potential of Rick having sex has made some people go off the deep end. Suddenly he is the great evil of the world because he has expressed sexual desire and his penis has some life for the few minutes that he has shared with this woman. I have no problem with Rick having a crush on Jessie, what's more I am rooting them to have sex even if she is married. In the Zombie Apocalypse, I say grab any second of happiness that you can get and no one deserves that second more than Rick. 

Also, while I would like Rick and Michonne to hook up, that isn't going to happen and I can live with that. Anyone shipping a couple on this show is looking for heartbreak given the rate that characters die. Besides, the writers promise the audience nothing, but an entertaining show and this they deliver consistently.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 14

First of all, sorry to everyone whose great comments I have not been able to give a thumbs up to---because I reached my quota for 24hrs within the first few pages.

I have a different problem - limits on the max number of quotes in a single post. :)

Talk about people on this show who are inexplicably obsessed.

He's only talked to Rick 3 times, and two of those times he wants to give those kids the once-over.

Which to me is odd because they were doing fine, didn't seem to need a rush exam.

But meanwhile Noah had the bad leg and Dr. McDrunkypants didn't give a shit.

IF we're going the Pete-the-abuser route, I'd be more likely to suspect him of secretly (i.e., without Jessie's knowledge) abusing the kids, rather than beating up on his wife. Her body language during their interactions strikes me as totally wrong for an abuse victim - more like a wife trying to keep her husband's (likely) alcoholism in check - for the sake of the family, and appearances.

"Owl Sculpture : Harbinger of Society's Demise wasn't my point (but it's funny nevertheless!).

Owls are never funny. Ask any Twin Peaks fan. ;)

• Love 5

It's good to see Alexandria bringing out the best in people. Abraham was certainly able to step up and he inspired Francine & Tobin quite a bit. Eugene is finally understanding that there will be times when he will have to be responsible for his own saefty and perhaps the safety of others. Even Glen is proving himself to be a leader. I wonder if the show is setting us up to see a showdown within our group? If Abe, Rosita, Eugene, Maggie, Glen and Tara are accepting their roles and becoming leaders, they may not want anything to do with Rick and Carol's revolt. That would be interesting to see,

• Love 5

I have a different problem - limits on the max number of quotes in a single post. :)

IF we're going the Pete-the-abuser route, I'd be more likely to suspect him of secretly (i.e., without Jessie's knowledge) abusing the kids, rather than beating up on his wife. Her body language during their interactions strikes me as totally wrong for an abuse victim - more like a wife trying to keep her husband's (likely) alcoholism in check - for the sake of the family, and appearances.

And yet we have seen some body language from Jessie that says she may be abused: the way she flinched when Pete touched her, after she and Rick flashed their "A" stamps at each other.  She may not have thought Rick was still looking their way, but that definitely read 'trouble' at least, to me.

• Love 4

Gabriel, hypocrite though he is, pretty much told Deanna the truth.

I would argue that what Gabriel did is worse than what the group has done in the time that he's been around them.  Yes, he was horrified when they killed the Termites but he did not live through what the Termites had done to them.  The group is reactive to threats to their survival.  FPP proactively locked out his congregation who did nothing to him, except try to seek shelter.  Big difference.  Plus the group has been through so much more than him out there so he really needs to STFU.  So glad Maggie overheard him.

Huge episode for Abe and Eugene!  So glad to finally have a reason to root for their characters.  I liked the Noah character and I wish they would have kept him around at least for the rest of the season.

• Love 10

Because he got the same creepy vibe off of Pete that many of us here did?  Pete's been weird in every encounter with Rick--not just drunk, but odd.  After J & P walked past Rick, Pete touched Jessie's back and she flinched.  Rick saw that and I think his instinct was to check his gun in case of trouble.  I honestly cannot imagine Rick killing someone simply to get a piece of ass. 

I'm also not fully convinced that Pete is an abuser of Jessie.  It seems too obvious.

I am thinking of little Sam, does he have a younger sibling or just the boy Carl's age? Dr. Pete did make a point of inviting Rick's kids for checkups when other CDB walking wounded are on the back burner. 

• Love 2

I think that maybe Gabriel, having his own church again, has decided that God must have forgiven all his sins.  After all, God gave him a new church, so he must be forgiven for letting all his old parishioners die.  The man is obviously mentally unstable.  I don't hate him--I think it's an interesting character, and it's an interesting threat.  Gabriel's slander is a kind of threat that the group has never really faced before, which makes me look forward to seeing where it goes.

• Love 4
I am thinking of little Sam, does he have a younger sibling or just the boy Carl's age? Dr. Pete did make a point of inviting Rick's kids for checkups when other CDB walking wounded are on the back burner.

But Sam did say the gun was not for him. So that would lead me to believe he's protecting someone else. AFAIK, there is only the one other sibling - the older boy that Carl hung out with. 

• Love 1

Deanna kind of blew of Father Gabriel with her anser that of course Rick's group did awful things, after all, they were outside those walls for years. I think she's sticking by her decision to let them in. After all, they haven't seized control. They've really done nothing more than find a way to fit in spots where their individual gifts will do the most good.

• Love 1

Perhaps it's just me, but I don't think Rick was being hypervigilant when he touched his gun after Jessie flashed her A at him.

Seriously?

No, not seriously. As it currently stands, I refuse to take the Rick-Jessie-Pete storyline seriously. That's why I was trying to be juvenile as possible by talking about Rick's "gun" and Jessie's "A".

It is perplexing how one brief moment of hyperviligance...

Why have the scene at all? We already know about Rick's vigilance

Rick would NEVER murder someone in cold blood unless he had to save someone's life.

How convenient for Rick that Pete's an abusive asshole who needs to be killed. And if it turns out Pete isn't an abusive asshole, or that Pete didn't need to be killed, it will be Carol, not Rick, who gets the blame.

• Love 6

Isn't his new church just a garage?  Where are the people of Alexandria who have been deprived of spiritual guidance and are now flocking to him?  Just the strawberry lady?  I may be an atheist now, but if I was living through the zombie apocalypse, God might start looking pretty attractive.

People really thought Pete was creepy about saying he'd give the kids check ups?  If I was a parent, that's the first thing I'd want.  Vaccinations!  As soon as possible because you don't know how long the good times will last.  Judith needs DPT, measles, polio, rubella, smallpox, etc.  Check their hearing, eyesight, and teeth.

The run - they get to the big warehouse and there are clearly many many walkers there already.  Do they think about going elsewhere?  Apparently not.  Do they think about setting up a distraction so they can get in and out safely?  Also, apparently not.  All they had to do was what Eugene did - drive slowly and honk the horn, and every walker in half a mile would come running.  Drive in a big circle.  Or build a big fire at one end of the parking lot where the walkers were.  Just something to distract them.  Why why why do they never learn anything?

• Love 5

No, not seriously. As it currently stands, I refuse to take the Rick-Jessie-Pete storyline seriously. That's why I was trying to be juvenile as possible by talking about Rick's "gun" and Jessie's "A".

Why have the scene at all? We already know about Rick's vigilance

How convenient for Rick that Pete's an abusive asshole who needs to be killed. And if it turns out Pete isn't an abusive asshole, or that Pete didn't need to be killed, it will be Carol, not Rick, who gets the blame.

Yes, if that's how it happens.  Just 'cause Carol said Rick would have to kill him, that doesn't mean that's how it will play out.  Carol is basing this on past history.  For all we know, Rick winds up beating some sense into Pete, or Pete gets eaten next week, or Carol talks to Jessie and Jessie gets the courage to kick Pete out. 

• Love 4

I'm surprisingly devastated about Noah. I hadn't realized how much I'd come to like him until he was taken away from me. Sob.

I just got the sense that he was finally starting to see the group as family, and as much as losing his actual, biological family still must have hurt him, he was starting to feel at home again, to trust and love again.

I'll never get the image of Rick tucking the blanket over Coral and immediately after that over Noah as well out of my brain, and it hurts. He led a short, tragic and brutal life.

Father Pee Pants is the pants-pissiest of them all, and that is in an episode full of people being cowardly cowards. He just wants to look pious and good, while knowing he isn't, and that makes his tearful confession in the church completely irrelevant and disingenuous. He is as deceitful as a low-down, dirty deceiver.

That said, I still love Seth Gilliam, and I also find him embarrassingly sexy (so that's probably TMI, but whatever).

Speaking of sexy, Andy Lincoln.

That's it, Andy Lincoln.

Ok, I'm a bit drunk, I'll probably have something more convoluted and pretentious to say later.

• Love 9

I know we've only seen the teenage son of Jessie and Pete a couple times, but he sure doesn't act like a kid who knows his mom is being abused. Of course the actor may not have been given that info as a direction yet.

He would have sounded less unhinged and hyperbolic if he'd said, "I saw what they did to one group." etc.

Exactly. This is why I'm hoping that Deanna's "I have a lot to think about" translates to "Oh shit, I let a complete loony tune inside the gates. How can I efficiently dispose of him?"

I'm a coward of the worst sort.  I totally forgot the show was on last night.  So I'm looking at a gossip site today, and I see a picture of Carol with a comment about spoilers and death.  So I freaked out a little since Carol's my girl.  Then, I accidentally saw the picture on this site of Glenn in the revolving door.  I couldn't handle the suspense.  I FF'd the whole thing in about 45 seconds, and I can now go back and watch it for real.  I'll be back.

• Love 4
The run - they get to the big warehouse and there are clearly many many walkers there already.  Do they think about going elsewhere?  Apparently not.  Do they think about setting up a distraction so they can get in and out safely?  Also, apparently not.  All they had to do was what Eugene did - drive slowly and honk the horn, and every walker in half a mile would come running.  Drive in a big circle.  Or build a big fire at one end of the parking lot where the walkers were.  Just something to distract them.  Why why why do they never learn anything?

I thought Glenn and his crew had the right idea. All they had to do was be quiet, go in and out. The problem was the idiot sons of Deanna, first detonating the bomb and releasing the walkers inside, and then trying to go out the front door to the parking full of walkers.

• Love 1

This is why I'm hoping that Deanna's "I have a lot to think about" translates to "Oh shit, I let a complete loony tune inside the gates. How can I efficiently dispose of him?"

More like "Oh shit, how soon can we 'exile' this nutjob?"

(Granted, that might be me expressing my feelings through her, but still).

Edited by AndySmith

Oh, ma-a-n.  The re-watch is so sad and ironic, with little Noah all geared up to go into training for architecture. . .and diplomatically pointing out to Reg that "average life expectancy" is no longer a relevant indicator.

"So you're in it for the long haul?"

"Yeah."

RUN, BUTTONS!!!

Edited by candall
  • Love 3

Rick would NEVER murder someone in cold blood unless he had to save someone's life. 

Well, he did say a few episodes ago that he killed Dawn because he wanted her dead. He said he knew she hadn't shot Beth on purpose, but he wanted her dead anyway. I think they're just trying to show that Rick's been changing.

• Love 2

Well, he did say a few episodes ago that he killed Dawn because he wanted her dead. He said he knew she hadn't shot Beth on purpose, but he wanted her dead anyway. I think they're just trying to show that Rick's been changing.

Yeah, but did he want her dead for giggles, or because she was a threat?

• Love 2

I vote giggles.

Because I fucking haaaaaated her, and I try very hard not to hate anyone.

But haaaaate, deep and profound.

Also, I like the word 'giggles'.

• Love 3
Isn't his new church just a garage?

We saw a church spire last night, but it may not be a Catholic church.

I hope Deanna doesn't believe that Rick and his family are bad people.  They've only killed to keep themselves alive.  She needs to get them all together and insist they tell her about their lives post-ZA:  Hershel and the farm, life at the prison, the Governor, Terminus.  If she knew the truth about them, I think she'd be thankful they are in Alexandria.  She and her group have been safe  and really don't know how bad life is beyond those walls.

Pete and Jessie have two children - Ron (aka Thing 1) and Sam.

• Love 1

People really thought Pete was creepy about saying he'd give the kids check ups?  If I was a parent, that's the first thing I'd want.  Vaccinations!

I wasn't creeped out by the fact that Pete offered to give the kids check ups. I was creeped out by the fact that he seemed hammered when he offered. Uh...thanks but no thanks, Dr. Drunky-Pants. I just also think that Pete gives off a seriously malevolent vibe.

A few other thoughts:

Tara- is her only purpose on the show to get injured? I actually like the little glimpses of character they've allowed us to see, but right now she just seems like a device.

FPP- not to get all Dr. Phil on the situation here, but I think we've got a classic case of projection. FPP is clearly hanging on by a thread; he can't come to terms with the guilt and shame he feels, so all of that just gets redirected towards the group; they're the ones who are dangerous, they're the ones who are untrustworthy. Interestingly enough, some of what he said could very well be true when all things come to pass, but man....that pissed me off. Someone take FPP on a run next time, please?...and then just leave him. Thanks.

Rick/Jessie- I don't know where they're going with this; I feel like the attraction/connection/simpatico/whatever it is between these two characters is being set up to serve a bigger storyline. We'll see....

• Love 5

I'm just pointing out what the show wrote. They could have had him say, "She was dangerous and she needed to be put down," but they had him say he wanted her dead even though he knew it had been an accident. I think they're being deliberate in how they're moving him towards morally darker territory.

Edited by Tippi Blevins

But Sam did say the gun was not for him. So that would lead me to believe he's protecting someone else. AFAIK, there is only the one other sibling - the older boy that Carl hung out with. 

When Sam said the gun wasn't for him, I thought maybe it's that girl that keeps leaving the camp.  Or maybe when he said it's not for him, he was just a little lying liar.

• Love 2

I feel we are all missing the point of the last two episodes- HOW FREAKING HOT Andrew Lincoln looks without the crazy man beard, and with food in his stomach. Damn. Although he is like 7 feet shorter than Drunk Ass Pete. I really wish Rick would hook up with Michonne and not Jessie though.

Hell yes, and every other time in tv land this would've happened but tptb aren't going there. So instead we have a forced, contrived storyline involving a more "suitable" female for Rick. Meh.

So, so, soooooooo much frustration with this episode!

First, Noah is dead. Noah, the man Beth sacrificed herself to ensure he would no longer be a slave to those cops in exchange for safety, is dead. I am so pissed right now I could spit bullets. Also, we've lost another black character. AMC is racist

I'm always fuming to people that twd seem to have a revolving door of black male characters (one in, one out) so I can't believe they literally killed him in a revolving door

(sorry if this irony has already been noted, my phone hates me and won't load the whole thread!)

Edited by Dr.Jacoby
  • Love 5

Oy. Haven't been able to fully read everyone's thoughts yet but just quickly, Abe and Eugene started to win me over this episode. For the first half, I was hoping Eugene would end up zombie chow (and screamed "YES!" when that walker almost got him) but by the end, I was actually pulling for him. He could have taken off in that van, and I think once upon a time he would have, but he got out and tried to confront Nicholas. That took him up a notch in my book.

Abe. For a hot minute at the construction site, I thought he was going to go postal and shoot all the ASZhats but then I realized he could feel the walkers coming (maybe?). Anyway, I really enjoyed Abe saving the day (although why the hell was there a random flail lying around??) and loved Francine punching Tobin out. I hope we get to know more about her.

Will be back later once I catch up on the thread.

P.S. Bye Aiden. See ya never!

• Love 2

Regarding Carol assigning the task of killing Pete to Rick . . . The way Carol's been rolling these days, she may already have planned a full schedule of stealing stuff, intimidating witnesses, and/or murdering people, and she realized she simply doesn't have time to do away with Pete, so she delegated the task to Rick.

She's like a mobster now, running kids as petty thieves, cutting them in on a piece of the take, and impersonally plotting the deaths of impediments. But all the while keeping an immaculately clean kitchen, baking delicious, highly sought after cookies, and wearing perfectly laundered and ironed clothes . . . She's like a cross between Martha Stewart and Tony Soprano. God help me, I enjoy watching her, even as she repels me.

Love the Martha Stewart as mobster reference. You reminded me of John Waters talking about coming up with the plot of 'Serial Mom'-- something about watching Martha Stewart fuss and primp with things on tv and deciding that anyone that anal could be capable of murdering people over the tiniest things-- like wearing the wrong color of shoes.

• Love 4

Alright, so you guys keep reporting a post regarding Morgan and him possibly returning this season. Please stop reporting it. The actual spoiler information was already tagged yesterday. This entire season has been hinting at his return, which is NOT a spoiler in my book, but pure speculation. Hell, the entire previous FOUR seasons have been hinting as his return. Whether or not he actually does remains to be seen. That would be the actual spoiler.

But as stated above in my top pinned post, if you are not sure about something, comic or otherwise, spoiler tag it. Much appreciated.

• Love 6

I'm always fuming to people that twd seem to have a revolving door of black male characters (one in, one out) so I can't believe they literally killed him in a revolving door

(sorry if this irony has already been noted, my phone hates me and won't load the whole thread!)

Don't worry, your message got through.  And it's spot-on about the revolving door.

• Love 4

I tell you what, whoever casts this show's kids is a genius.  Carl actually looks like Rick and Lori's son.  Like for real.  And Ron....When they arrive at the party Ron is in front of his parents and he is the spitting image of them.

Isn't his new church just a garage?  Where are the people of Alexandria who have been deprived of spiritual guidance and are now flocking to him?  Just the strawberry lady?  I may be an atheist now, but if I was living through the zombie apocalypse, God might start looking pretty attractive.

People really thought Pete was creepy about saying he'd give the kids check ups?  If I was a parent, that's the first thing I'd want.  Vaccinations!  As soon as possible because you don't know how long the good times will last.  Judith needs DPT, measles, polio, rubella, smallpox, etc.  Check their hearing, eyesight, and teeth.

I think it's the fact that he is always drunk that makes it super creepy.  Add to the fact that he has an obvious dislike of Rick, and you could almost take it like a threat....

To me it's a matter of Rick not being suitable for Michonne.

I wish I could like this post about a thousand times.  Everyone assumes that they didn't put the two together because of Rick, but dude, Michonne can do way better and way more suitable for her.

• Love 3

I'm not sure how Nicholas can spin it completely in his direction. They could have LEFT HIM THERE. He planned on doing just that to Glenn and Noah....and threatened Eugene. I am hoping that with Tobins appraisal of Abe that Deanna will see past the BS....especially since she lost her son. But with two episodes to go, I'm not optimistic.

Edited by English Teacher
  • Love 2

I can't tell if Maggie is desperately trying to grab some "normal", or if she's quietly watching and waiting like a less psycho version of Carol.

I mentioned flipping the good guy paradigm in a previous post. I could see Maggie and Glenn becoming a power couple, aligned with Deanna...against an unhinged, mistrustful Rick and Carol.

• Love 1

Darryl will probably die next since he showed some hope in last week's episode. I constantly find myself wondering why they couldn't allow just one good and hopeful person to live.

I think Darryl is safer than some because of the character's popularity, but sooner or later...

• Love 2

And yet we have seen some body language from Jessie that says she may be abused: the way she flinched when Pete touched her, after she and Rick flashed their "A" stamps at each other.  She may not have thought Rick was still looking their way, but that definitely read 'trouble' at least, to me.

Actually, this specific scene was one of the primary reasons I think Pete is not physically abusing Jessie, and for two specific reasons:

• Pete's reaction - or lack thereof - when Jessie flinched. If Pete was inclined to be the heavy-handed sort, then I would fully expect his reaction to a flinch would be for him to reassert dominance; the hand from which she flinched would immediately come down on that shoulder and grip tight. Maybe not tight enough to make her cry out - not in public, anyway - but enough to reinforce "who's boss". This did not happen - which, in turn, caused me to re-examine point #2:
  • The nature of The Flinch itself. I played it back-and-forth several times, primarily because my wife repeatedly said she didn't see it. :). What I did see on the re-views, though, was this: there was nothing abrupt, jerky or exaggerated about Jessie's withdrawal. It did not indicate surprise or fear. The more times I watched it, the less it looked not like a I'm-scared-of-you flinch, and the more it looked like a I-don't-want-your-hands-on-me pulling away - like Pete maybe wanted to assert some possessiveness, but Jessie wasn't having any of it. Which led me to think it may have been more an expression of disgust rather than fear.

Not to say Pete isn't an abuser of some sort - but if he is, then I don't think Jessie is the primary target.

• Love 6

or the eerie owl that isn't really just an owl  in Fourth Encounters.

Edited by cheatincheetos
  • Love 1

Fr. Gabriel is Episcopal, but he has to minister to the entire population. It's been established that school is held in a garage (little kids in the morning, then the big kids). Is that the same garage in which Gabriel had his temper tantrum? If so, it must be the weekend. Which makes sense since Sam has so much free time.

Rick may have wanted her dead, but Daryl killed her.

• Love 5

OK, the show's just fucking with us now, right?  They combat the criticism of One Black Man at a Time, by ..... continuing to do it.  I don't get it.  I know they damaged TV Tyreese by giving a lot his characteristics to Daryl, but Noah was a promising character.  So we're stuck with FPP?

I'm all for killing men who abuse their wives and children, but I don't think they have that luxury.  Doctors are a rarity, they're like a professional athlete in the ZA.  I say remove him from Jessie's home, lock him up when not being supervised, and hide the alcohol.  If you suspect he may deliberately injure a patient out of vengeance, let him know his life is on the line.  How foolish to just kill him.

I don't have a problem with Carol telling Rick about her suspicions, and telling him he needed to kill the hubby.  Look what Rick did last time Carol went rogue.  He feels he's a better decider-in-chief?  So hear you go.  Knowing a child is involved, Carol cannot be impartial.  With Rick's interest in Jessie, I don't think he's the proper decision maker either.  They need a committee - bring in Glenn and Michonne, and along with Carol/Rick/Daryl, make a decision as a group.

Lastly, if the hubby has to die, I vote for Daryl as executioner.  He had no problem torturing Randall.  Tell him this man is beating his wife and little boy - done.

• Love 7

1) I hate this poor vulnerable Jessie storyline. Surely, Rick, there is an unattached attractive woman in ASZ, or Sasha, Michonne, Carol, etc. Jessie has definitely put herself out there for Rick, and he's picked up on the vibes. I'd love for Rick to have a love interest, but this simpering Jessie is almost as bad as bitchy, unfaithful, whining Lori. Can we not find a badass for Rick instead of a manipulative damsel in distress?

2) Carol - she has been amazing this season, but it would be far more interesting if SHE took it upon herself to get rid of the abusive husband instead of putting it on Rick. Grind some glass up in his cookies and tell him to look at the flowers.

3) I predict some turmoil and Maggie having to decide if she wants to stay in ASZ or with CDB, and Glenn will be the casualty. 

4) Father Whatshisface - I get his point. He had it very sheltered, then saw Rick's group becoming feral to stay alive. 

5) Why has no one told Deanna about the atrocities on the outside - cannibalism, child rapists, etc?

6) Abraham, Eugene, Glenn, great episode. 

7) Noah hadn't been around long enough for me to love him, but rough death.

8) I want to ship Tara and Francine.

9) Morgan is the Boba Fett of TWD. On screen for a minute, now he's Chuck Norris.

10) TWD can't have two of the same 'type' - not just black men, but also old men, blond women, little girls, brunette women, etc. I'm shocked we've had both Sasha and Michonne for so long, as well as Rosita and Tara. Maybe Tara's lesbian status exempts her from short possibly Latina brunette.

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 4