Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Spend

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

I'm just really not emotionally invested in the situation with Jesse. I don't know if it's AB's weak acting or what, but she hasn't had any impact on me in the three episodes she's been on. Francine left more of an impression on me after her short scene. I just feel like having Rick react the way he did to hearing that news, and then having him seek !JUSTICE! just rings false, or seems rushed. If that is indeed the path they're on.

I hate that Noah died. Such a waste.

On a superficial note, Maggie is looking rough.

Can someone fill me in on what this is an acronym of?

Camp dinner bell

• Love 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that we had to get a long, loving, shot-from-below clichéd moment of Daryl riding off on his superhero bike!

At least we got to see his nasty hair blown out of his face for a few seconds!

• Love 9

Finally! A good episode! They really lingered on the deaths this time though, I don't normally get squeamish when someone gets eaten, but watching both the asshole guy (still don't know his name, & now I don't care) & Noah (poor Noah!) get ripped apart definitely made my stomach twinge. Watching Glenn watch Noah die was awful, thankfully Eugene has finally found a use.

I wonder if Rick is just going to kill the guy outright, or set him up to be killed by a walker?

Carol, what are you doing to that child?

I think Father Gabriel is going to do something to "purge" the evil from the place, like set it on fire, or lock everyone out.

• Love 1

It appears Seth Gilliam is rapidly headed towards becoming the third Wire alumni to get tragically underused on the show. I'm in a minority of thinking Gabriel was potentially a very interesting character...the morally compromised man of faith, a coward and a pacifist, forced out of his safe haven and having to adjust to the brutal realities of the ZA. There's a lot you could do with that. At the moment, it appears what they've chose to do with it is he's an unstable, ungrateful loon. Hard to imagine him carrying on with the core of the group. Perhaps next season they'll bring in Idris Elba for a two episode character who goes through seven abrupt personality changes in five scenes before being rapidly devoured.

Carol approaching Rick to kill Pete doesn't bother me. Carol is a strategic thinker, and she's been making decisions like this in consensus with Rick ever since her initial attempt at being unilateral turned out badly. Rick is the town constable and is empowered to carry arms. If anyone can present a murder as a justified shooting, it's Rick. 

Bit surprised to see Noah die, but in retrospect it did get telegraphed a bit. ASZ's denizens seem rather improbably hapless at the various tasks they've ostensibly been performing without incident for a couple of years, but there are only so many episodes available to get this storyline in motion. I do hope Tara makes it, I find her character charming (even if I can only recall her name roughly 50% of the time). 

Daryl has been getting the Spike treatment for some time now. Take a character who achieved cult popularity due to his caustic abrasiveness and brusque honesty, and turn him into a soppy pureheart. Michonne appears to be heading down the same sad path. The show needs to be willing to have morally ambiguous anti-heroes without either redeeming them (Daryl) or killing them (Shane). Black Hat Carol and Green-Eyed Rick are a good start, but I'm not terribly convinced the latter isn't going to have another one of his wholesome epiphanies and be back to his unblemished moral rectitude before much time has passed.

I'm with you on Gabriel (although I don't really think Bob was underused - for a character who started as little more than a red herring for the fall of the prison storyline, he had a decent run, and a beautiful goodbye). I'm very disappointed in the writing for him - not just what he did tonight, but at the poor buildup for it. 

I don't really think Daryl was ever an anti-hero. As early as the second season, they were deleting scenes that would make him look bad (threatening Sophia). I think the main problem is taking him too far into woobie territory in the last few seasons. Too much moping and crying, and too much focus on him losing things just to lose them.

I actually feel like they've done much better with him in the last few episodes, focusing on him being an outsider in both the group and Alexandria, and his choosing in the last episode to start trying to live on his own terms, developing new independent relationships, etc. I just hope they won't flush it for more emo woe.

By the way, why was this episode called "Spend?"

I could probably think of atleast two dozen one-verb titles that would be more appropriate.

I'd guess the ammo.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 5

was it mentioned if that warehouse was a regular restocking place? If so and douche face was doing the runs, could he not have made a note where the batteries are or at least line some boxes up near the door Lol. Make that shit easier

Did Eugene take just ONE? I hope not ffs.

• Love 1

And why was Noah even on the run? If he's getting his George Costanza on and pretending to be an architect, shouldn't he be at the construction site? Or still talking to Reg? Why does Aiden want him so much? Wouldn't, say, Rosita, maybe be a better choice than the limping guy with indeterminate combat experience? 

Where the hell is Rosita?

And as for this week's zombie kills...

What's that, Rick? The phone's ringing? Well, what does it say? Yes, I suppose you're right. Lloyd Kaufman probably does want his special effects back.

• Love 9

Something else that occurred to me. How did Sam get in Carol's house in the first place? I cannot for the life of me believe that anyone in Rick's group would leave their houses and windows unlocked, not after such a short period of time among the Alexandrians. Especially not Carol.

• Love 1

How did Sam get in Carol's house in the first place?

The same way he followed her last week even though she left the party 5 minutes before he started whining about cookies and without knowing where she went. The boy is a true ninja!

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 8

And why was Noah even on the run? If he's getting his George Costanza on and pretending to be an architect, shouldn't he be at the construction site? Or still talking to Reg? Why does Aiden want him so much? Wouldn't, say, Rosita, maybe be a better choice than the limping guy with indeterminate combat experience?

It's the same logic that put Tyreese on the run where they checked out Noah's home community. Only Judith or Father PPPOS would have been worse choices. 

How did Sam get in Carol's house in the first place?

I thought she opened the front door to him(?) both times.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 4

Even though Carol and Rick are probably right about the abuse happening, I think you should have more than a gut feeling that someone is being (non-lethally,) violent, before you start plotting their death. I mean, Sam didn't even say anything decisive, for whatever the word of a cookie-mooching little bastard is even worth. How about taking it in baby steps? Maybe Jessie tells everyone "I'm moving out because my husband was abusive." Then, if Pete comes after her, Rick or MIchonne beat the hell out of him and throw him in the drunk tank until Deanna bails him out. It's not perfect, but it's a starting point. The alternative? A strong hunch, by the cop who's trying to bang your wife, is enough to justify a death sentence? I'm a tad iffy about that legal system. And I'm just not sure there needs to be a huge veil of secrecy here. And, really, what else does Constable Rick need to watch for? The only other criminals in town are Carol, Sam, and himself.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 14

The other thing I got from this episode that I never got this strongly even in episodes that took place in 3 or 4 different locations is that the "group" has probably never been more of a group in name only. They're all going their own way. Rick and Carol were completely isolated in their own story, with no real mention of anything going on elsewhere. Glenn was with his group. Abraham on his own. Gabriel on his own. Other than a brief conversation about Abraham, Maggie was on her own. Daryl was on his own.

It's odd watching the episodes with this in mind, because I have no idea if it is even intentional on the show's part. 

• Love 5

I knew it was coming but still, NOAH, NO!  That was grisly.  Poor guy.  He would have made a great architect and town historian.  *sniff*  Techno lyric, "Now you're going to die" while focused on Noah when in the van.  

Father Pee-Pants, you little bitch.  Should have left him to wallow in his guilt back at the church in Georgia.

*punch*  I like Francine already.

Abe and Eugene were awesome.

Oh, Scarol the Cookie Monster, no need to be like Lori/Lady MacBeth and send Rick in to do your dirty work.  Want to kill Pete?  Do it yourself.

Tara has a new crush! *cute*

There is the difference between Rick's group and the Alexandrians.  The Alexandrians are cowards who leave people behind and get people killed.

Yup.  Little bitches, most of the lot of them.

Glenn is awesome.

That was some fantastic acting by Steven Yeun.  I was in tears when Noah got torn apart and part of that was from watching Glenn's reaction.  Just heartbreaking.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 10

When that van was blaring music as they left Alexandria, I was like "turn that crap down, moron, it's going to attract zombies!"

I doubt leaving people behind is Alexandrian "policy" in some kind of nasty evil way. Not everyone is a kickass warrior and big damn hero, that's all it is.

Are we really still wondering if Deanna and the Alexandrians have ulterior motives? I think it's pretty clear by now that, sadly, they are merely run-of-the-mill people who are damn lucky. They're people whose mettle hasn't really been tested. You can't count on them to have your back, but they're not actually trying to hurt anyone on purpose, either.

Tobin telling Deanna about Abraham's heroics is meant to tell us some of the Alexandrians are honest folk even if they do drop the ball when they get scared.

Aiden was actually starting to redeem himself when he listened to Glenn for a change and decided to do a perimeter check first. Too bad he got too scared to listen when Glenn told him to stop shooting.

I was wondering how the show can possibly make the old "group endangered by zombies on a run" story feel fresh. Well, they figured out a way! The revolving door of doom! How do they keep coming up with this stuff?

If Deanna is actually good at reading people, she should be able to tell FPP and Nicholas are the unreliable ones in the upcoming Glenn vs Nicolas versions of how Aiden died. Of course, this is going to be an emotionally charged death for her, so it might make her go crazy like the Governor went crazy after his child died.

I'm not particularly worried about Deanna turning her back on CDB. She's going to have another thing coming if she tries to exile them! For her sake I hope she doesn't. (So far the show hasn't made her out to be a particularly evil or stupid leader. I would rather it stay the course on that because it's just too easy to justify a Ricktatorship if she goes bad. I want this to be a nuanced and layered story, instead of one with obvious conclusions, dammit!)

Good point on the doctor  If he's really a lush is he really all that valuable to anyone?

OMG I know! I was wondering how he's going to doctor Tara's head wound when he is that drunk.
  • Love 8

After a second viewing, I think Daryl's still wearing his old leather vest with another jacket underneath.

And Sasha's probably permanently relocated to that watchtower.

I loved Francine punching that asshole while he was all "tell him about our system where we don't give a shit about anyone's ass but our own".

It seems to me rather than stupid and lucky to have survived this long, the ASZhats are just aloof; they must have lost quite a bunch of people with their "systems", yet it hasn't motivated them to change their ways. They still go out there, like it hasn't affected them to lose people, they're still "every man to himself". No wonder Deanna was amazed at CDB's tight sense of community.

Edited by minamurray78
  • Love 3

Techno lyric, "Now you're going to die" while focused on Noah when in the van

And of course, when Noah was dying, I'm sure some of us heard "Everybody haaaaaaates Chriiiiissss" ;)

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

I think Father Gabriel might have gotten a little more traction with his warning if he hadn't started with the Satan and disguising himself as an angel.  Not sure about Deanna's religious leanings but generally even people of faith can find that kind of talk a bit strange,  ZA or no ZA..  Maybe he should have suggested an exorcism just so there's be no doubt where he was going with that.

He should have done some of that Bible-tearing right in front of her while he ranted. That would have been the cherry on the sundae of craziness.

• Love 4

Regarding Carol assigning the task of killing Pete to Rick . . . The way Carol's been rolling these days, she may already have planned a full schedule of stealing stuff, intimidating witnesses, and/or murdering people, and she realized she simply doesn't have time to do away with Pete, so she delegated the task to Rick.

She's like a mobster now, running kids as petty thieves, cutting them in on a piece of the take, and impersonally plotting the deaths of impediments. But all the while keeping an immaculately clean kitchen, baking delicious, highly sought after cookies, and wearing perfectly laundered and ironed clothes . . . She's like a cross between Martha Stewart and Tony Soprano. God help me, I enjoy watching her, even as she repels me.

More seriously, she jumped to the "you'll have to kill Pete" plan pretty quickly, based only on intuition, but maybe she's telling Rick about it now and so bluntly because she realizes he likes Jessie, figures Rick will also eventually pick up on the abuse, and wants to warn him before he does something rash and public in the heat of the moment that could be disastrous for them all. Perhaps she thinks they will obviously look for confirmation before doing anything, but wants Rick to digest the probable truth about what's going on, and where the situation is likely to end (in Carol's mind) while Rick and Carol can talk about it in private, and plan.

• Love 11

Yes, of course I remember Morgan and his son Duane from the very first episode.  His 1-episode arc in season 1 (and craziness in a later episode) didn't make much of an impact on me  And I don't know the actor from anything else.  Just trying to understand the love and excitement.  Thanks.

Watch Jericho. He plays the main protagnist in it, and he did a great job. I think Morgan may be a slightly similar type character.

I think it might still be free to watch, if you have Amazon Prime (not sure, since I own both seasons.)

Edited by LexiconDevilOne
  • Love 5

When that van was blaring music as they left Alexandria, I was like "turn that crap down, moron, it's going to attract zombies!"

If I understood correctly, that was the idea - blast music loudly on the way out, to draw any local lumberers after the van and away from the ASZ perimeter..

Tobin telling Deanna about Abraham's heroics is meant to tell us some of the Alexandrians are honest folk even if they do drop the ball when they get scared.

Did Deanna's reaction to Tobin's abdication of his construction team leader role to Abraham strike anybody else as... interesting? 

I had the distinct impression she was somewhat out-of-sorts at this turn of events - as if Abraham's assumption of this leadership role threw a monkey wrench into one - or some - of Deanna's plans.

If Deanna is actually good at reading people, she should be able to tell FPP and Nicholas are the unreliable ones in the upcoming Glenn vs Nicolas versions of how Aiden died. Of course, this is going to be an emotionally charged death for her, so it might make her go crazy like the Governor went crazy after his child died.

I'm quite certain of several things:

1. Deanna saw right through FPP - her response to him was pure political blow-off.
  2. Deanna knows exactly what kind of person her son is - and, by extension, what kind of people her son considers friends.
  3. Regardless of her true knowledge and/or feelings about people and events, Deanna is perfectly capable of ignoring the truth if using those people/events as manipulation tools will advance her own agenda.  Even if she (rightfully) believes Aiden was a coward and self-destructive man-child, she will wholeheartedly lead a public drive for Aiden's canonization - and Glenn's public crucifixion - if it advances her goals.
  • Love 8

I don't know if there's a music thread, but this is the song they were playing tonight. I didn't even know it was an actual song. It has some...adult lyrics. 

Between this and the Bee Gees last week, TWD has very eclectic taste. 

• Love 1

I don't know if there's a music thread, but this is the song they were playing tonight. I didn't even know it was an actual song. It has some...adult lyrics. 

Between this and the Bee Gees last week, TWD has very eclectic taste. 

Exactly what drugs would be required for this to sound like a peppy party tune?

I give it a 78 - it has a phenomenal beat, but it's shitty to dance to.

• Love 4

I wondered if Abraham was feeling a bit ill, from that cut on his arm, but I think it's been a while now, hasn't it?

Battery is running low on the tablet, so I'll have to come back.

Why was there a revolving door on that building anyway (other than the people who make the showing saying, "You know what would be a really cool way to kill off people and do zombies?")?  It looked like a warehouse on the outskirts of town, not a high volume sort of place that would require such a door even if they are supposed to be good for regulating temps.   

• Love 3

Back when Aaron was recruiting the CBD, he told Noah that the ASZ had a great doctor/surgeon.  Aaron has been portrayed as loyal to ASZ and a trusted recruiter, so he's not inclined to (a) be a terrible judge of character or (b) lie outright about what goes down at the ASZ (maybe obfuscate, but not outright lie).  So why would he think Pete's a great doctor/surgeon?  Every time WE'VE seen the guy, he's half in the bag or the whole way.  (I still think that last week's ep, when Jesse tried to stop Pete from getting Rick a refill was to curb Pete's drinking.) The ASZers have been behind the wall for about two years, so wouldn't they know where all their liquor supply is going if Pete's been a constant drinker?  If Aaron is such a great recruiter, why couldn't he have found another doctor by now? 

My major problem with this is that this show has taken its time on so many things, and now we're rushed into thinking Pete's an abuser (because he's day drunk, his kid is a little sneaky shit, and his wife can't be disturbed).  And I don't get that Deanna would allow a DV abuser to hang out in the compound unchecked.

Loved Abe, Glenn, and Eugene in this ep though.  RIP Noah.  Why take a guy with a bad leg on a run instead of Rosita or Maggie is beyond me.  Let Noah Costanza it out.

• Love 4

Pete may be a great surgeon when he is sober. When he is sober probably being the key bit.

As for why he's the only doc they have...I guess medical professionals, surgeons or otherwise, are hard to come by. Other than the 2 doctors we saw in Dawn's building, have we seen other doctors on this show?

Why take a guy with a bad leg on a run

So the show could kill off someone for dramas?

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 3

Sgt Moobs is dead...Long live Sgt Randleman. [Cudlitz was great in Band of Brothers]

I think that's another reason I feel some strange sadness...I never thought I'd be more emotionally invested in an Abraham plotline than in Rick Grimes.

• Love 5

I guess medical professionals, surgeons or otherwise, are hard to come by. Other than the 2 doctors we saw in Dawn's building, have we seen other doctors on this show?

Well, there was Hershel, who while a DVM, was still a doctor.  And there was the African American woman doctor in Woodbury.  And at the prison, there was Caleb.  Bob was a military medic.  And they're in NoVa now, they should be close to medical schools and military medics.

BTW, what the hell was FPP doing with the wax paper and the bible before he tore the pages out?

• Love 5

I'll comment more on the episode later but I just wanted to say something about Carol and the kid. Last episode we all thought he was going to be terrified of Carol, but now I read that scene differently. It was like those scenes from westerns when the kid meets a hard badass cowboy  and he understands the cowboy may get rid of the villains (aka, his dad). Carol's like Clint Eastwood.

• Love 15

I may be a bit cynical but after Eugene's speech to an unconscious Tara about being a coward, when he walked out with her slung over his shoulder I thought he was planning to feed her to the walkers to clear his path to the van.

• Love 3

Aaron, Eric, Jessie, and Sam are the exceptions on the Alexandrian death list.

Poor Ron Anderson! Only Carl thinks of him! :-D

That's what gets me. That line where he basically said HE was good and THEY were bad. Is he now projecting all of his own sins onto them? Does he have to do that to live with himself? Otherwise, he just decided to sell them out for no apparent reason.

I suggested before the episode...he knows that they could tell others what he did. That's an apparent reason. They may be just settling in, but he will attach to whoever supports him and he gets a clean start---till he screws up again. Ass-kisser.

The writing for Gabriel has been awful. It's a waste of Seth Gilliam's talent. When you create a character that is a coward and a liar and has no redeeming qualities, no one will care if he lives or dies. Right now, it's a waste of screen time.

This is the ZA! More people who survived by this point have done so by having no redeeming qualities! It isn't a waste of screen time if the entire angle of the future show hinges on whether CDB is now in peace and safety or a gathering shitstorm that will change things.

As far as a waste of talent, most really good actors love to play the characters that are the villain, not the boy scout. I think he sold the hell out of Gabriel; but IMHO no one would want to see months of bless you my child. God is nice. This is nice of God to give us worms and wormy dog meat. can I do something nice for anyone?

That was a crazy huge leap Carol made, she filled in the silences Sam left with suspicion of Pete, she showed up to Pete's door, banging away, he opens the door and isn't really happy to be woken up from a nap. He most likely smelled of booze in the middle of the day, now Carol is probably mentally glitching, having vivid memories of drunk ass Ed, mean ass Ed, squirly thoughts all going mile a minute, Pete blows her off, Carol skulks over to Ricks (wait a minute, that's Michonne's katana over the fireplace, is Rick living with Michonne? I thought Rick said "we can all sleep in our own homes now"?) Carol sidles up to Rick, starts her arch gossip, Carol, wily Carol she knows Rick's buttons whether or not she's noticed yet Rick is "into" Jessie...oh of course she has but damn..kill Pete right out the gate Carol? Sheesh woman, you're still fighting Ed in your head! Let him go you bashed his dead head in with a freekin' pick ages ago, Pete is not Ed.

Pete, for all his apparent boorishness and implied abuse is indeed a physician. A trained medical provider at the end of the world. Someone normal people would probably want to try to talk to, maybe get things out in the open, maybe he needs his own house or something, whatever, Jessie and Sam could live in different houses, really, everything is free right now so no big deal there! No, stone cold killer Carol wants him dead and she starts some kind of damn dark magic on Rick. So intense but senseless. For Rick to take the bait, then he would be as bad as any bad guy, he would be worse than Shane, Shane really did have skin in that game. I dont buy it, I dont like it. I'm team Carol all the way but this one here, even if I can see how she might get herself worked up into hating Pete enough to want him dead, right here and now it doesnt hold water.

Beg to differ. The scene with Carol and Sam ended with Carol trying to get the kid to tell her; but it was cut off suddenly. Who knows what happened before she went to Pete's doorstep.This damn dark magic wily arch Carol---you don't have a bias? You are "team Carol all the way?"

Look, here's one thing we know---the kid wanted a gun.

For his mother, for himself, to do something heroic, to do something evil---who knows?

But she asked to talk to Pete. She did not go tell Rick to kill him first thing.

I'd want to go see the father; and she asked to speak to the mother.

That's what I'd do if a child started acting squirrelly and angling for a weapon.

It was Pete at the door who acted even squirrellier. That was a tip-off.

Someone needs to talk about your son it's important but nah.

Sad and very intense episode. Knowing Steven was going to be on TD, I was very worried about him in that revolving door. I was coming to really like Noah too. Well done scene. I guess I don't really understand how these people lived well for two years and then everything they do is now fraught with danger because CDB is around. Did they never have problems on the construction site before? Did they never go somewhere with a lot of walkers to get supplies? Why is this happening now?

I know we are supposed to think the ASZ are really stupid and our guys are really smart, but who was living in comfort and well fed for two years and who was sleeping in the woods

Woodbury had a "lifestyle" where they drank lemonade and listened to music and had cook-outs and ice and nice homes and stores blahblah. What was really going on there?

How do we know, or CDB, within just a few days what kind of stuff has been happening for 2 years? Just because the strangers tell you so?

I did not read the scene as Carol being worried about being banished. Besides, what real authority does Rick have in this place at this moment anyway?

I think in the ZA, with no law, whatever authority there is would be by strength or force.

I was thinking of me.  How I'm going to see it. That's all that matters, yes?  What my own personal reactions are.  Because they make this show just for me.

Didn't they call you to see if you approved of the script? Is it just to your personal liking? That's why there are 15 million versions of TWD on every Sunday night. A different one for each of us.

Oh, wait...

The thing I really dislike about the R/J stuff, is just how dense the writers think we viewers are?  If people were seriously still questioning whether there was a 'spark' between them after last week's cheek smooch, then that's them burying their head in the sand.

Maybe they are trying to avoid the Beth-4-ever crew repeat. Too late.

I love seeing Daryl on a bike, but it's so ridiculous to think he could be out scouting for new folks on the sly while on a loud-ass motorcycle.

Thank you!

I thought Rick did a good job explaining why the owl sculpture being destroyed was worth looking into.  If there's vandalism going on, even on something that was kind of meaningless, it might lead to worse things (the broken windows theory of policing) and shouldn't just be ignored.

See, I don't get people saying who cares about an owl sculpture?

Doesn't anyone remember the crayon drawings first of happy walkers with names how cute! how weird! oh well! which became headless rats huh, odd. oops, gotta do something else, never mind which became vivisected animals nailed to boards well yeah I see but we had a confession from who killed Karvid so it wasn't the person who did this, therefore why bother asking who did this which is part of the homicidal triad but so what?

• Love 7

I have NEVER liked revolving doors and usually go out of my way to avoid them! The show just backed me up!!

You must love the final montage of The Godfather, then! That's what turned me off revolving doors.

• Love 1

I tend to wonder how much Aaron even knows about it. His job keeps him isolated from most of Alexandria, and he doesn't seem to have any relationships with anyone there but Eric. I don't get the impression Aaron feels the way they do about leaving people behind.

I wonder about Aaron's role.

Last episode in a conversation with Daryl (I think) he said something along the lines of "I told Deanna not to give you a job..."

It's possible he has more authority in Alexandria than we've been shown.

I don't think Rick will stage a violent coup, nor do I think he will kill Pete in cold blooded murder.

His suspicions will help him make the call more easily when the time actually comes, but I do think there will be cause.

Bad as our people can be they are not murderers. They're walking a fine line.

FPP was clearly unhinged and I think Deanna will have seen that. He needs to save himself a lot of agony and go ahead and eat a bullet.

And yay Eugene- I was so happy to see him do well. 

• Love 3

This is the ZA! More people who survived by this point have done so by having no redeeming qualities! It isn't a waste of screen time if the entire angle of the future show hinges on whether CDB is now in peace and safety or a gathering shitstorm that will change things.

As far as a waste of talent, most really good actors love to play the characters that are the villain, not the boy scout. I think he sold the hell out of Gabriel; but IMHO no one would want to see months of bless you my child. God is nice. This is nice of God to give us worms and wormy dog meat. can I do something nice for anyone?

Actually, this is a show about the ZA. And therefore, some character development is usually a good idea, especially when the show is killing off other characters left and right. I don't know about what "more people" have done but I know that Gabriel has done very little to make me root for him or understand his pain. The show certainly needs bad guys as well as characters like Gabriel...conflicted ones that may not deal well with guilt, loss, etc. However, when you basically take them off screen for 2 - 3 episodes and then bring them back with a rant about Satan and bible-ripping, it seems that the show has missed out on opportunity to explore this character a bit further.

And please understand the difference in my comment about "wasting Seth Gilliam's talent." He is a marvelous actor - one of my favorites from The Wire. He does a fabulous job with every scene that he gets. However, they are doing very little with the character of Gabriel and I believe that he deserves better...as did Chad Coleman and Larry Gilliard. Right now, he isn't playing a villain. He is playing a coward and that is a huge difference. It requires much more skill on the part of the writers and I don't believe that we are seeing it. 

And I never suggested that months of "bless you my child" was a viable course of action. Neither, IMO, is what we are witnessing now with Gabriel. Of course, the other alternative is that we can agree to disagree.

• Love 6

When Deanna appointed Rick constable, she never said that Rick had the authority to unilaterally execute people.

What the hell is the point of being Constable if you can't unilaterally execute people? 

Oh, Tobin was definitely shooting; in fact, it was he who shot out the hydraulic line for the bucket lift, causing it to spill Francine.

Was he?  <snerk> He was the one who offered to teach Carol to shoot, right?

By the way, why was this episode called "Spend?"

I could probably think of at least two dozen one-verb titles that would be more appropriate.

Because they're working off that S1 quote from Dale when he paraphrases Faulkner:  I give you a mausoleum of all hope and desire, which will fit your individual needs no better than it did mine and my father before me. I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you may forget it for a moment now and then and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it.”   (TM someone smarter than I am, and with a much better memory.)

*punch*  I like Francine already. 

It would sure be nice if she lives.

• Love 6

With Carol turned into a cardigan-wearing stone cold killer, and Rick seriously considering whether to assassinate Jessie's husband (I think that's what we're supposed to believe he's thinking), I wonder if the show is planning on flipping the good guy paradigm. We think of our guys as being the good guys, threatened on all sides, but maybe Carol and Rick are evolving into bad guys that will have to be dealt with.

The show wants us to wonder whether Alexandria is safe, or a bad situation, but maybe it's civilization and the Carols and Ricks cannot fit in there because they are too far gone.

• Love 5

I missed the actors we didn't see this week, but I couldn't help thinking of it like this:

Danai:  "Woot! A week off."

Sonequa: "Woot!  A week off."

Chandler:  "Damn it.  School."

I was probably thinking that during the Rick/Jessie scene, because that seemed like it was a different show.  So pedestrian. I was bored.

Edited by Bad Example
  • Love 5