Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Daddy Issues

For the first time in her life, someone gives Hannah a lesson on boundaries.  Bravo.  Girl gets an A for effort when she tries to set boundaries with her father.

Nice continuity on Elijah calling that he knew the father was gay.

Shosh wore another fabulous red-white-and-blue politician's wife frock.  

Speaking of clothing, the sweater Hannah wore for the episode was the same one she wore last season during the epic fail role play.  What's the symbolism behind that?  Must tie into the "I'm faking everything."

Gotta love how Marnie tells Desi that she doesn't want anyone to know about the engagement -- and then 11 seconds later she tells Ray.

Of course Mimi-Rose pulls a Kelly Taylor.

Ray LOST me when he turned his speech into a last ditch effort to get Marnie.

"I think I want to see her too much right now." I'm not going to lie, I can't wait for Adam and Hannah to get back together-- after they each grow some.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 2

Loved Adam saying he was good with his sponge.

It was clear once Marnie said to Desi that they should keep the engagement a secret that she would tell the first chance she got. Not only that, but when Shosh came up to them, Marnie held her hand up to show her ring, but Shosh didn't notice.

Hannah's mother is hilarious. I also liked when her dad said of Loreen that he didn't a person could have that many emotions.

I kind of liked Ace and Mimi-Rose as characters. They're funny and infuriating, i.e., entertaining. I wish we could have seen more of them. I think they're out of the picture now.

It's near unbelievable how much Hannah lacks self-awareness. The principal explaining boundaries to her was just going nowhere. She didn't get at all what he was saying. But by the end, at Ray's campaign HQs, it seems like she knows she needs to change.

• Love 7

I keep expecting Adam and Jessa to hook up. 

This was a good episode.  Becky Ann Baker (Loreen) has been killing it these last two episodes.  I enjoyed the dinner scene with Sociopath 1 & 2, and Bad Partner 1 & 2.  Jessa's "I fucking run games" and Adam's "No, I'm good with my sponge" were gold.  I still can't stand Marnie or her useless tryhard boyfriend.  I don't quite understand why Ray is so enamored. 

• Love 9

"THINK ABOUT ANAL SEX! NOW THAT'S UNCOMFORTABLE!" I love Hannah's parents. The actors are amazing.

"Who knows what the future holds?" "Full on anal." 

"Adam, would you fry up some sausages?" "Sure, I'll fry up some sausages. Everyone here like sausages?" For whatever reason, that really made me laugh.  Also "Nah, I'm good with my sponge."

And A plus on the reuse of the term "jabroni", Adam. 

I think girls like Marnie are sent to Earth to torture guys like Ray. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 7

Dang it Ray I like you. Move on from freaking Marnie. 

Hannah s parents are hilarious. I want them to have a wacky spin off.

As soon as Hannah`s dad said he was gay, I was like "Elijah is going to remind everyone that he called it". You never let me down, Elijah.  

• Love 7

Well, I am thinking Adam was a "time filler" or something for Mimi-Rose. She didn't seem the least bit concerned when he walked out. 

The boundaries talk from the principal was cringe-worthy.

• Love 2

Of course Marnie stood up in a room full of people, maybe 4 of whom actually know her personally, to say she's getting married. But you gotta admit that she showed remarkable restraint by not breaking out into song.

Ace is awful but damn if I don't love Zachary Quinto. That's how you make an unlikable character into someone you can't look away from.

And Adam shows he is the most mature one around. 

• Love 14

Hannah s parents are hilarious. I want them to have a wacky spin off.

No, the spin-off belongs to either Elijah after he moves to L.A. or Ace and Mimi-Rose after they die in a fire and become ghosts who help Maude Apatow solve crimes.

• Love 7

"And Adam shows he is the most mature one around. "

Fran Parker also came off well during this episode. I loved the look of disgust he had after seeing Hannah have a middle school fight with Cleo. He immediately walked away from Hannah, which is something I'm surprised more of these characters don't do.

• Love 18

The conversation between Hannah and Cleo was embarrassing and pathetic. A substitute teacher calling and texting a student a dozen times because the teacher is going through a tough time? Hannah's checking Cleo's Instagram? Stalker, much? Hannah doesn't think she should keep her feelings stuffed inside? And therefore she feels that she is justified in trying to hunt down Cleo to unload everything on her, a teenager?

"My friend Tom has, like, four dads."

• Love 8

Ace is awful but damn if I don't love Zachary Quinto. That's how you make an unlikable character into someone you can't look away from.

I found Quinto very sexy as Spock. The dude just has something. 

• Love 8

Of course Marnie stood up in a room full of people, maybe 4 of whom actually know her personally, to say she's getting married. But you gotta admit that she showed remarkable restraint by not breaking out into song.

I can't believe she did that, but then again it totally seems like a Marnie type of thing to do.  She is so....I don't know what it is about her.  I wonder if she has a brain tumor b/c the Marnie we had in the first season compared to this one is like a complete 180 for me.  

I'm guessing the episode ended right before Marnie decided to break out into a love song for Desi.

I was glad that Jessa knew exactly what was going on and decided to bail out instead of keeping on w/ Mimi Rose's bullshit.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 4

Marnie and Hannah are such a great match as best friends-- they really shared the title of "Biggest idiot" this ep.

As for Jessa and Adam-- I truly think the only reason Mimi Rose abruptly broke up with Adam is that she saw he was following Jessa out the door on the path to breaking up with her. 

• Love 3

I can't believe she did that, but then again it totally seems like a Marnie type of thing to do. She is so....I don't know what it is about her. I wonder if she has a brain tumor b/c the Marnie we had in the first season compared to this one is like a complete 180 for me.

I'm guessing the episode ended right before Marnie decided to break out into a love song for Desi.

I was glad that Jessa knew exactly what was going on and decided to bail out instead of keeping on w/ Mimi Rose's bullshit.

Well, Jessa, takes one to know one.

Marnie sang to Ray.

• Love 2

I'm surprised that the lecture on boundaries was all Hannah got. Even if the principal didn't know about the frenulum piercing and the Cleo stalking, calling Cleo a bitch should have resulted in immediate firing. Are private schools that hard-up for substitute teachers?

I love Hannah's dad and hope he gets to be happy. Maybe something will come from his reconnecting with his college roommate. I loved how he called Hannah out on not bringing her wallet when she tried to convince him that she was an adult.

With Marnie announcing the engagement to everyone who would listen, I thought I detected a hint of buyer's remorse in Desi's expressions, like "shit, she's really taking the engagement thing seriously".

Mimi-Rose was oddly disaffected when she said she was jealous of Jessa and wanted Ace back, and then finally chose herself. She said the words, but I saw no emotion in her face. I haven't seen Gillian Jacobs in anything else, so I'm not sure if that's how the scene was written or poor acting on her part. Jessa and Adam were also like "eh, whatever" at the end. If anyone's feelings had been seriously hurt, I would have expected a more emotional reaction.

I'm happy for Ray that he won the election, but he ruined it for me with his victory speech/love declaration to Marnie. When Hannah walked into the party and Shosh offered her cake, I just knew that Hannah would stick her fingers in it.

On a superficial note, has Elijah always been this well-groomed? He did not have a hair out of place, his eyebrows looked like they'd been professionally done, and was that a brocade jacket he was wearing? He's usually more casual than that. Was he trying to impress Hannah's dad?

• Love 4

Hannah's entire confrontation with Cleo was hilariously cringeworthy.  I mean at Hannah's age, people have to tell her to grow some boundaries...insane.  I love that Fran just ran away.  I especially love Hannah telling others about boundaries...I LOLed.

I loved every part of Elijah this episode.  "I can't go through this again"  "Full on anal"

I don't care for Jessa, but I loved her speech in Mimi's apartment.  "I run game"  That said, she got what she deserves after her little set-up plan with Mimi Rose and Adam to get Ace.

• Love 5

Mimi-Rose was oddly disaffected when she said she was jealous of Jessa and wanted Ace back, and then finally chose herself. She said the words, but I saw no emotion in her face. I haven't seen Gillian Jacobs in anything else, so I'm not sure if that's how the scene was written or poor acting on her part. Jessa and Adam were also like "eh, whatever" at the end. If anyone's feelings had been seriously hurt, I would have expected a more emotional reaction.

In Mimi Rose's case, I think her nonchalance was supposed to be a parody of the whole NYC  artist/  intellectual navel gazing stereotype. (See: Slaves of New York.)

Adam was a different story-- I think he was just refusing to get dragged into the drama.

As for Hanna's speech to Cleo-- hell yes, she would be out on her ass is she actually said that in most schools! I have heard that NYC is kind of hard up for teachers, though. 

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 3

Thought Ace and Mimi were going to say something to each other at the end along the lines of "The game was really fun this time".

Me, too. They almost seemed to share a look that telegraphed that when Jessa & Adam walked out.

Also, Marnie is such a thunder-stealer. Oh, Ray, so you were just elected to political office a second ago & this party is all about you, your campaign's victory, & your moment? Oh, yeah, well guess what entire party - many of whom I don't even know- I'm GETTING MARRIED!

Marnie & Desi are both douches who deserve each other and I hope we later find out Douchelord Desi is still sleeping with Clementine (or someone else) behind Marnie's back.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 4

I also want to ad- I know we often hear Lena Dunham is showing us the average woman's body when she has nude scene, but I really wanna give a shout out to Jemima Kirke's thin (but not "crazy Hollywood thin" nor surgically enhanced) "normal" body that was on display in her sex scene in the opening scene (even if she was partially clothed/rocking some see-through clothing). She looked like totally normal/average thinish girl of her age but smoking hot as well. Good for her!

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 12

I loved Ray saying about Marnie: "You're gonna make an honest woman out of this trollop!" He has some of the best lines.

And I loved Jessa's declaration of her Jessa-ness: "I'm not going to be apart of your game. I fucking run game."

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 4

Mimi-Rose and Ace are acting out their own little soap opera and everyone else is just collateral damage. I didn't like her from the start because she never allowed for other people's emotions unless they were about her and how great she was.

• Love 8

Mimi-Rose was oddly disaffected when she said she was jealous of Jessa and wanted Ace back, and then finally chose herself. She said the words, but I saw no emotion in her face. I haven't seen Gillian Jacobs in anything else, so I'm not sure if that's how the scene was written or poor acting on her part. 

I saw her in this indy film NO NAMES on Netflix a while back.  She was very emotional.  Gillian is playing Mimi-Rose as either a disaffected artist or an adult female on the autism spectrum or someone who was never really into Adam but enjoyed his company -- or D) All of the above.

I loved Ray saying about Marnie: "You're gonna make an honest woman out of this trollop!"

I thought that line was going to lead to a Desi/Ray fight.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 4

No, the spin-off belongs to either Elijah after he moves to L.A. or Ace and Mimi-Rose after they die in a fire and become ghosts who help Maude Apatow solve crimes.

Elijah and Hannah's father should move west and join the cast of Looking.  It's a better show than Girls, for a start.  Elijah and Hannah's parents are the best part of Girls.  I think the three actors have a LOT to do with that.

How the hell does Hannah still have a job at the school?  Are substitute teachers in that short of supply in NYC?   How come Cleo wasn't talking funny from her piercing related swelling?  The people I've known who had piercings inside their mouth had some swelling and tenderness for a couple days.  The plot line should have been one of Cleo's parents noticing that she's talking or eating strangely.  They ask her what's wrong.  After hemming and hawing, she tells them.  They call the school.  Hannah is fired.

• Love 3

Weirdly, I think Ray and marnie have great chemistry. I still want him to run screaming from het though.

I said this in one of The Slap threads. Zachary Quinto is magic. He is always so fascinating to watch.

• Love 3

Hannah's dad definitely could use some boundaries. It's out of control.

I had a friend who was slightly worse about boundaries when he first came out.  I think it was a relief not to be hiding his sexuality anymore.  The problem was that he'd just basically go up to people pretty much at random and announce that he's gay.  With those of us closer to him, he'd go into a lot of details.  He got better over time.  Hannah's Dad, to me, seems fairly realistic which is a surprise for this show.

Who'd have thought, way back in S1, that Adam would turn out to be the most normal of all the characters!  Of course, it *is* Adam, so the 'normal' is relatively speaking!

Of all the characters, Adam seems to be the only one any actual growth over the seasons.  Dude is even wearing collared shirts now.

• Love 6

It is kinda odd to see Jessa in this position, she does run game. I was even finding it odd that she was impressionable during sex with Ace, when he thought her place was like a Tiffany video. Ace and MR do suck but I truly truly love Zachary Quinto. 

I've been thinking that the whole time Shosh says she and Ray are never getting back together that she really just wants him to ask. And please Ray get over Marnie!

Adam and Fran are people who keep getting chewed up and spit out. They don't want the drama but keep wandering into it. 

Every time I see Becky Anne Baker, she nails it. She is so awesome. Loved her since Freaks and Geeks. 

• Love 2

I love Becky Anne Baker as well.  Her whole reaction seems extremely realistic. I would for sure be chain smoking in my kitchen and crying in between lashing out at my annoying kid. 

I also loved the whole progression of admitting gay experiences. "First he's going to say he had a roommate in college. . ." and then to see that play out.  Poor Hannah, finally learning about boundaries and overshare.

Ray's ongoing love of Marnie is one of those things that would totally happen to me in real life - if I'm Shoshanna. I can't count how many times a guy would like a Marnie-type person and you'd be like "Seriously, WTF, snap the hell out of it, she's awful!"

• Love 3

Every time I see Becky Anne Baker, she nails it. She is so awesome. Loved her since Freaks and Geeks.

I was trying to remember what show she had Mommed before. Also, it hit me that she was in one of my favorite short films, " Bad Bosses Go to Hell." Wonderful. She played one of several people laying out horrendous job descriptions to an interviewee. She had lines like " I need to be able to go off on you and still know you are on my side." Edited by bunnywithanaxe

Sadly, I knew a "Hannah" type when I taught middle school. She have "tutoring" after school which would devolve into students just gossiping with her. She had a wall of "You're my favorite teacher" notes like a students puts notes up in their locker. 

• Love 1

Elijah and Hannah's father should move west and join the cast of Looking.  It's a better show than Girls, for a start.  Elijah and Hannah's parents are the best part of Girls.  I think the three actors have a LOT to do with that.

How the hell does Hannah still have a job at the school?  Are substitute teachers in that short of supply in NYC?   How come Cleo wasn't talking funny from her piercing related swelling?  The people I've known who had piercings inside their mouth had some swelling and tenderness for a couple days.  The plot line should have been one of Cleo's parents noticing that she's talking or eating strangely.  They ask her what's wrong.  After hemming and hawing, she tells them.  They call the school.  Hannah is fired.

At a public school, Hannah would be fired simply for being alone with a student. Ever. For any reason.

Private schools do not have to abide by the same rules as public schools. The same laws do not affect them. There is a great deal more freedom, which can be a good thing, but it can also be bad, as in this instance.

• Love 3

I love seeing Fran walk by while Cleo Hannah were having their little "spat" in the beginning because you know he's thinking, "I am glad I dodged that bullet" by the look of his expression....

I thought it was hilarious when Ace + Jessa were LOL'ing getting off because they were feeling like they were fucking a in Tiffany video....Oh man.... And, Ace's fuck face....LOL

Best part about Ray's speech? The bowling in the background

Edited by OrientalAmish
  • Love 4

^^ yes, I just want Fran to randomly walk thru Hannah's life. Be it in her apartment when she's wallowing in self pity or when she's in coffe shops with her dad and give up that same "DaFuq?" face every time she does some typical Hannah dumb shit.

• Love 5

Don't feel bad for Jessa at all. She plays games with people's lives just like Mimi-Rose does. Her outrage was comical to watch. She knew how messed up Mimi-Rose is, yet she introduced her to Adam without even a warning... she sucks as a friend. I just don't see why people put up with her shit. She certainly does not put up with other people's stuff. 

• Love 3
At a public school, Hannah would be fired simply for being alone with a student. Ever. For any reason.

I don't know if the rules at public school are really that severe. That isn't to say Hannah doesn't deserve to be fired.  The tongue ring and ditching school with a student was ridiculously inappropriate.  The conversation she and her student had in the hallway was ridiculously inappropriate.   

With those of us closer to him, he'd go into a lot of details.  He got better over time.  Hannah's Dad, to me, seems fairly realistic which is a surprise for this show.

I think the key difference would be that you and he were friends, so it wasn't entirely crazy that he might share details of his sex life with you.  I'm going to at least guess he wasn't calling up his mom to discuss the best way to perform oral sex on a guy.  I felt for Hannah a lot, which makes me hate myself, because Hannah is also mostly terrible.     

I also felt as though I could watch an entire episode that was nothing more than Hannah and her mother chatting about the situation with her father on the phone.  That whole scene was pure gold. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2

The sundering of boundaries stretched from (what was once) Michigan to (what was once) Brooklyn.  Only Adam and his sponge held the line.  

Which still left him with nowhere to go home.  Councilman-elect Ploshansky has his former apartment. Hannah has her/their/his/her apartment. Did Adam go crash with Caroline and Laird? 

• Love 4

^^ yes, I just want Fran to randomly walk thru Hannah's life. Be it in her apartment when she's wallowing in self pity or when she's in coffe shops with her dad and give up that same "DaFuq?" face every time she does some typical Hannah dumb shit.

Yes yes yes! They should make it an actual part of every episode with him walking by with that face in a Hannah moment no matter what's happening, where, and whatnot.... But, then again, that could probably get old....One can wish for a semi-minute....

I'm still half-laughing @ the moment during that past episode where Mimi-Rose just casually blurted out how she got an abortion the day before....She said in such a nonchalant matter as if she was saying, "I can't fuck today because I got my period yesterday", but nope, it was just because she had an abortion....

• Love 5

I was trying to remember what show she had Mommed before. Also, it hit me that she was in one of my favorite short films, " Bad Bosses Go to Hell." Wonderful. She played one of several people laying out horrendous job descriptions to an interviewee. She had lines like " I need to be able to go off on you and still know you are on my side."

If you ever watched the classic "Freaks and Geeks" - she played the mom on that show. That version of motherhood was sweet, and somewhat innocent. 180 degrees from Hannah's mom. She is so great!

• Love 3

I don't know if the rules at public school are really that severe. That isn't to say Hannah doesn't deserve to be fired.  The tongue ring and ditching school with a student was ridiculously inappropriate.  The conversation she and her student had in the hallway was ridiculously inappropriate.   

They are. Public schools are aware that parents are litigious, and that abusive parents are quick to find scapegoats, and so it is now part of every teacher's job to make sure that there is NEVER a time when they are alone with a student. There must always be a witness who can say the teacher did nothing inappropriate. And/or a camera.

• Love 1
They are. Public schools are aware that parents are litigious, and that abusive parents are quick to find scapegoats, and so it is now part of every teacher's job to make sure that there is NEVER a time when they are alone with a student. There must always be a witness who can say the teacher did nothing inappropriate. And/or a camera.

I can believe teachers are told to be aware of the issue.  However, the rest seems farfetched, difficult to enforce and extremely counterproductive.  However, if there are school districts that act in that manner, I feel bad for both the students and teachers.   

Yes yes yes! They should make it an actual part of every episode with him walking by with that face in a Hannah moment no matter what's happening, where, and whatnot.... But, then again, that could probably get old....One can wish for a semi-minute....

I did appreciate the writers aren't afraid to show that a character appears to have made the right choice by staying away from Hannah and her drama. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2