Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Daddy Issues

I can believe teachers are told to be aware of the issue.  However, the rest seems farfetched, difficult to enforce and extremely counterproductive.  However, if there are school districts that act in that manner, I feel bad for both the students and teachers.   

I did appreciate the writers aren't afraid to show that a character appears to have made the right choice by staying away from Hannah and her drama. 

I have worked in two public schools and I think it varies depending on administration. I have tutored kids one-on-one after school with my door open and there were no issues. Though, I could totally see some principals being very strict with the "never be alone with a student" rule. It depends on the administration/ tone of the school district. 

• Love 1

How is it that Marnie got engaged to Desi without (apparently) meeting his family or any of his friends other than the ex-girlfriend?  And without having her family meet Desi?  Dumb!  I predict some unpleasant learning experiences coming up.

Plus, the whole Marnie-as-crunchy-singer-with-crunchy-unemployed-singer-boyfriend just doesn't ring true to me.  This is the type of "Girl" who dates investment bankers or lawyers and goes to black tie events.  I think it would be more fun to show Marnie screwing up in that context than in this one.

I love Shoshanna.  "I couldn't get hired to give free blow jobs in a bus station!"  I want Shosh and Ray to get back together.

• Love 6

How is it that Marnie got engaged to Desi without (apparently) meeting his family or any of his friends other than the ex-girlfriend?  And without having her family meet Desi?  Dumb!  I predict some unpleasant learning experiences coming up.

Idiots have different rules for getting engaged.

Honestly, I don't feel that Desi sees this as a real engagement. I have no reason to feel that way other than the fact that he's a selfish twat. I think he was just placating Marnie after she justifiably got pissed when he spent their entire advance on pedals and shit, instead of studio musicians and studio time, and he didn't want her to hate him. And he sees in Marnie the deep desire to conform. Marnie thinks being in a relationship means that she has her shit together, so being married means that her shit is super-duper together. 

• Love 8

Idiots have different rules for getting engaged.

Honestly, I don't feel that Desi sees this as a real engagement. I have no reason to feel that way other than the fact that he's a selfish twat. I think he was just placating Marnie after she justifiably got pissed when he spent their entire advance on pedals and shit, instead of studio musicians and studio time, and he didn't want her to hate him. And he sees in Marnie the deep desire to conform. Marnie thinks being in a relationship means that she has her shit together, so being married means that her shit is super-duper together.

Did you hear the one about the homeless musician? His girlfriend broke up with him.

Yeah, Desi is that guy. Always with a serious girlfriend, always living at her place, always cheating on her.

• Love 7

How is it that Marnie got engaged to Desi without (apparently) meeting his family or any of his friends other than the ex-girlfriend?  And without having her family meet Desi?

Does Desi have any friends? Seems more like he just lives in the light of the adoration (and home) of his current girlfriend - making sure to have a "safety" girl groomed to take over when the inevitable breakup happens.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 4

Yeah, I definitely don't see Marnie and Desi as true love forever. They are pretty obnoxious to watch, and I hope Ray gets over her soon because she's so not worth it.

The first few scenes with Hannah and the student and then the principal were incredibly cringeworthy, and reminded me of all the bad Lifetime movies I've watched in which the creepy teacher starts an affair with an impressionable student by acting all cool and young at first as part of their grooming method, and then gets really controlling. It was super icky, although it did make me laugh that the student got sick of Hannah's bullshit, rather than letting the "friendship" go further. I honestly can't believe that there were no repercussions about the piercing incident and that the chat from the principal wasn't more stern. And I really can't believe how clueless Hannah was. For me, it was the most hyperbolic example of her lack of self-awareness, and I actually found it difficult to believe that even she could be that out of touch regarding appropriate teacher/student boundaries, especially given the abundance of sensationalised media attention and aforesaid bad Lifetime movies that result from such incidents in real life; heck, I teach undergrads, who are all technically adults, and I STILL refer to myself as having a Mary Kay Latourneau moment if I ever even have a fleeting thought about a student in non-academic context.

Jessa is beyond ridiculous at this point. "I RUN games!" Girl, please. You were caught pissing on the street a few weeks ago.  I did laugh when Adam asked her why she didn't give him a heads up about the messed up Mimi Rose/Ace situation, and she said in a huff that it wasn't her job to tell him these things, and that she was "too busy." Doing what exactly? Does she even have a job at this point? Why is she even on the show, except to stir shit up between everyone and apparently not face any consequences?

• Love 5

I can barely look at Desi without cringing. That guy's face looks like a sunburned cat anus.

ZQ on the other hand... so, so yummy. Though it says a lot about the Ace character that I think I'd rather hook up with Sylar, or even the gay ghost wanna-be-dad serial killer from AHS. (Sexy as Spock is a no-brainer; I think Leonard Nimoy was hot in that role too. RIP.)

• Love 7
Plus, the whole Marnie-as-crunchy-singer-with-crunchy-unemployed-singer-boyfriend just doesn't ring true to me.  This is the type of "Girl" who dates investment bankers or lawyers and goes to black tie events.  I think it would be more fun to show Marnie screwing up in that context than in this one.

Marnie thinks she's the type of girl who does those things -- but so far she's discovered that in NYC, she's out of her league against the competition within that category.  Her competitors mostly start the game as teens within an existing family network, and/or then do a better job of working their careers in the major-money fields, in service of their social ambition.  Marnie lost the gallery job she sequed- into out of Oberlin, and then lost the next gallery job tossed her way by her peer.  While throwing away, then reclaiming, then losing, the college boyfriend who now moves in those circles.  The one rich prospect she met at a bar preferred Jessa's madness to Marnie's pretty-and-seemingly-nice.  His counterparts, the guys who frequented the club where Marnie was a hostess, discounted her on sight as a prospect for anything more than a lay.   

We seem to be discovering that Marnie's no more a fledgling helpmeet/socialite-in-training than Hannah is a writer, Shosh a fashion industry up-and-comer, or Jessa a free spirit and friend.  

• Love 6

I can barely look at Desi without cringing. That guy's face looks like a sunburned cat anus.

ZQ on the other hand... so, so yummy. Though it says a lot about the Ace character that I think I'd rather hook up with Sylar, or even the gay ghost wanna-be-dad serial killer from AHS. (Sexy as Spock is a no-brainer; I think Leonard Nimoy was hot in that role too. RIP.)

are you a writer? because I had to stop and picture that image and it was just brilliant.

And yes, "you fill me with inertia," as Peter Cook says in the original "Bedazzled," so any Spock is hot.

Marnie comes from Montclair, so she should have been right up there with her teen pals. something went wrong.

I loved the proposal and found it romantic but doubt the marriage will occur. Just think of all the things they haven't talked about. Kids. Religion. Long term plans.

• Love 1

Jessa is beyond ridiculous at this point. "I RUN games!" Girl, please. You were caught pissing on the street a few weeks ago.  I did laugh when Adam asked her why she didn't give him a heads up about the messed up Mimi Rose/Ace situation, and she said in a huff that it wasn't her job to tell him these things, and that she was "too busy." Doing what exactly? Does she even have a job at this point? Why is she even on the show, except to stir shit up between everyone and apparently not face any consequences?

Yeah...Jessa's game playing has lead her to be homeless, jobless, broke (the money from ex husband must be running out by now), and perhaps friendless.  She really is a master of the universe.  However, it would be nice if someone at least once called her on her bad behavior. 

Marnie thinks she's the type of girl who does those things -- but so far she's discovered that in NYC, she's out of her league against the competition within that category.  Her competitors mostly start the game as teens within an existing family network, and/or then do a better job of working their careers in the major-money fields, in service of their social ambition.  Marnie lost the gallery job she sequed- into out of Oberlin, and then lost the next gallery job tossed her way by her peer.  While throwing away, then reclaiming, then losing, the college boyfriend who now moves in those circles.  The one rich prospect she met at a bar preferred Jessa's madness to Marnie's pretty-and-seemingly-nice.  His counterparts, the guys who frequented the club where Marnie was a hostess, discounted her on sight as a prospect for anything more than a lay.   

We seem to be discovering that Marnie's no more a fledgling helpmeet/socialite-in-training than Hannah is a writer, Shosh a fashion industry up-and-comer, or Jessa a free spirit and friend.  

I hate to say this, but if Ray become rich and powerful, Marnie would be on him like white on rice.  I think this because it is exactly what happened with her ex, Charlie.  She totally took him for granted and dumped him...twice.   However, as soon as he became a successful app designer with a lot of money, she made it a point to get him back.

Marnie thinks Desi is on his way to becoming a successful actor/musician, who is going to be great for her own aspirations as a singer,  If this does not pan out, then she will be very unhappy in this relationship (particularly with his tendency to cheat).

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 6
Marnie comes from Montclair, so she should have been right up there with her teen pals. something went wrong.

Montclair, though, is a lot more interesting than the handful of NYC neighborhoods or Westchester/Fairfield County towns from which most of the Nexus Generation young monied elite hail.  As is Oberlin, for that matter.  

For Marnie to get waved past the metaphorical velvet rope, I think she'd have to do something as interesting as her hometown or college. 

Dewey Decimate: I can barely look at Desi without cringing. That guy's face looks like a sunburned cat anus.

I thought he looked familiar.

There is something about his face that squicks me out. Yuck. Also hate the way he slaps a "babe" or "hon' " on the end of every sentence, but he pauses first, so it seems as if he didn't really learn his lines.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 1

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA LOLROFLLMAO! I am trying to picture what it looks like, but whenever I do I just burst out giggling like a little school girl that just heard the word "penis" for the first time in my life....Dewey, I think you have the best comment in this whole post....I dunno how any one can top that....

• Love 1

The first few scenes with Hannah and the student and then the principal were incredibly cringeworthy, and reminded me of all the bad Lifetime movies I've watched in which the creepy teacher starts an affair with an impressionable student by acting all cool and young at first as part of their grooming method, and then gets really controlling. It was super icky, although it did make me laugh that the student got sick of Hannah's bullshit, rather than letting the "friendship" go further. I honestly can't believe that there were no repercussions about the piercing incident and that the chat from the principal wasn't more stern. And I really can't believe how clueless Hannah was. For me, it was the most hyperbolic example of her lack of self-awareness, and I actually found it difficult to believe that even she could be that out of touch regarding appropriate teacher/student boundaries

Hannah's behavior at the tattoo/piercing parlor made me wonder if she was a borderline sociopath. Cleo asks, "Are you gonna go now?" Hannah says, "Fuck no!" and she's smiling.
  • Love 1

Apparently, Jessa and Shoshanna are sharing an NYC apartment, while both unemployed.

I assume the Mels (Shosh's parents) are supporting her, if only to spite one another, and Jessa probably has someone in her family taking pity on her while she is unemployed. Jessa hasn't burned through absolutely everyone in the northern hemisphere yet.

• Love 1

Remember Hannah's parents supported her for a good two years, until they cut her off.  I am guessing Shosh's parents will do the same. I am going to guess Jessa's grandmother probably gives her some money ( I think it was the grandmother that paid for the rehab she dropped out of).  All of these girls are pretty privileged in that respect.  Adam's grandmother also used to give him money on a monthly basis.

I will say that unlike Hannah, Shosh, is actually trying to get a job.  It is too bad she burned through that first interview where the lady really liked her.

Sorry for commenting on this  episode so late, I just watched both 9 and 10 and I just wanted to say, I always wondered what is the purpose of making sex scenes so realistic in series and movies when it doesn't have anything to do with the progression of the story. I may be called a straitlaced (is this word correct? :S) but I felt uncomfortable with the sex scene between Jessa and that guy from Heroes. I mean, it made no sense to have all these 3 minutes sex scene that had nothing to do with the rest of the story, so much nudity and so much realistic sex. Am I missing something? This story is supposed to be written by a young woman who wants to create something new in TV (or so I believe). Why can't we move on from the stereotypes?