Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: The Testimony Of Diego Munoz

Rosen's monologue in the OPA office was *hysterical.* :)

OK, I missed something: Diego is Huck's clean cover? and he's a lawyer...? (In the depo, Rosen said he could have him disbarred..?)

No Jake, you're a bad guy. David is not. Jake's the one who murdered James and has gone after David more than once. 

It was obvious they were dressing Olivia all in black until she became herself again and put on white. 

I think Mellie's VP choice will end up blowing up in her face. 

• Love 16

I've never missed an episode, but this had me feeling like I missed several. Last I remember, Huck's wife was still mad at him, and Huck was sort of seeing his son in secret. Until his son witnessed violence, and then Huck stopped seeing him. Now it's spaghetti Tuesdays and family dinners? And did we ever see her getting the files? I feel like all this happened before the break, before Liv's kidnapping. Like, back in November sometime.

Did I somehow miss several episodes or did they really expect us to have that good a memory? Or, more disturbingly, did they just not care?

• Love 10

Rosen's monologue in the OPA office was *hysterical.* :)

OK, I missed something: Diego is Huck's clean cover? and he's a lawyer...? (In the depo, Rosen said he could have him disbarred..?)

Diego Munoz is Huck's actual name, apparently. Mrs. Huck was an attorney, and that was who Rosen was threatening to have disbarred. On what grounds, I don't know. 

Oh, Fitz.  Of course you're going to have to beg.  Because you're the worst human being in a show filled with loathsome people and you need to be punished.  Punished hard.

Sadly we did not get to see him actually beg, or even apologize for taking the country to war and letting X number of people die to save his sidepiece.

• Love 4

Sadly we did not get to see him actually beg, or even apologize for taking the country to war and letting X number of people die to save his sidepiece.

And, unfortunately, in the real world and if God or The Fates or justice were kind, Fitz would have been impeached so damn fast.  I'm sure of it.

But, no.  Shonda Rimes is the goddess of the Scandal universe, so there will be no justice on Fitz.

This episode had me hooked from beginning to end and took me on a path through so many emotions... I loved it. I said to myself, "This show is BACK!" Even the B613 stuff didn't seem too ridiculous. The show created that whole B613 story arc, so they can't just make it go away and preserve any sense of continuity. But I feel like they're handling it the best they can. And I loved Marla Gibbs' performance.

• Love 4

I've never missed an episode, but this had me feeling like I missed several. Last I remember, Huck's wife was still mad at him, and Huck was sort of seeing his son in secret. Until his son witnessed violence, and then Huck stopped seeing him. Now it's spaghetti Tuesdays and family dinners? And did we ever see her getting the files? I feel like all this happened before the break, before Liv's kidnapping. Like, back in November sometime.

Did I somehow miss several episodes or did they really expect us to have that good a memory? Or, more disturbingly, did they just not care?

Thank you!  I was going, WTF?  I thought the last we saw of the son, he was running away from witnessing a murder.  In the dark, at night, running in the streets away from the violence.  But yes, Huck ("Huck") gave her the files to convince her he was not crazy.  But there were no spaghetti Tuesdays. 

So, was the wife acting as "Huck's" lawyer?  Because that was a weird little ceremony they had in Rosen's office.  That was not testimony, and I don't even think it was a deposition.  I thought it was odd she was there.  Rosen could easily have excluded her and avoided this mess. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 4

I think Mellie's VP choice will end up blowing up in her face.

Absolutely. It's obvious where this is going. VP Susan will become popular, and run fore Prez against Mellie, with Liv as her campaign manager.

• Love 6

This episode had me hooked from beginning to end and took me on a path through so many emotions... I loved it. I said to myself, "This show is BACK!" Even the B613 stuff didn't seem too ridiculous. The show created that whole B613 story arc, so they can't just make it go away and preserve any sense of continuity. But I feel like they're handling it the best they can. And I loved Marla Gibbs' performance.

Me too, and I'm glad because it may finally be getting back on track.  I thought Marla Gibbs was brilliant and I appreciated that fact that they closed that arc.

I am not a Huck fan, in fact, next to Fitz, he's my most disliked character, (actually, they tie for that honor)  but  I thought the actor did a great job with that testimony scene.  Normally when Huck opens his mouth, I sing a song in my head, but not during that scene. 

Fitz is still an idiot. I wish someone would call Scandal's version of the Washington Post and spill the beans.  He actually had the nerve to say "You know why  I did it" because sending  troops into war is justified to save precious Olivia.  Oh, but I forgot, she's a walking vault of national security secrets. Of course, if he is impeached, Olivia will come to the rescue and save his sorry butt. I wish someone had told him that when he was done apologizing to Congress, he could start apologizing to the families of those that lost their lives.

Finally, I think what I enjoyed most about the episode was that there was only ONE Olivia/Fitz scene. None would be my preference, but I'll settle for that. Here's hoping the new VP gives him a run for his money.

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 1

This was the first episode I fell asleep in the middle of.

No more than the last VP did. ;)

Wins the internet today.

This.  My memory sucks, that's a fact but I know good and damn well I didn't yadda yadda yadda my way past a reunion that was 12 years in the making.   We did see her get the files though, he delivered them in boxes on the front porch or lawn right before she told him to go kick rocks.

If anything gets me to bail on this show it'll be the faces Liv is (forced?) to make.   And I flove Kerry Washington but laugh, cry, wince, snarl, shit, pick one, I cannot look at the diaspora of unnecessary and overexaggerated emotions play across her face anydamnmore.  #FixitShonda.   Oh, Shonda, while you're fixing it, Abby and dude whose name I can't remember?  No thanks.  Less chemistry than George Bush (43, not 41) and his wife.

Agreed that snorty mcveep is gonna wind up burning Mellie's chances and then ole girl will have to have Cyrus kill her. 

Because her name can't be said enough:  Marla Gibbs.

• Love 8

Diego Munoz is Huck's actual name, apparently. Mrs. Huck was an attorney, and that was who Rosen was threatening to have disbarred. On what grounds, I don't know. 

Ah OK I see... didn't remember that about her (if I ever knew).

Three weeks?  Are you kidding?  So Liv was a prisoner for... one week?  Ten days? Then there was the auction, she's been back long enough for the last episode, etc.  They made the prisoner arc look like it was much longer at the time.

You know what... I actually liked this one.

I loved  the return of Marla Gibbs aka 'The Where's the Black lady lady'  and I loved that the story between her and neighbor lady turned out to be a love story.

I enjoyed the Susan Ross stuff and I too am thinking that she will turn out to be a bit more than Mellie & Fitz thinks she is.

I kept wincing thinking they were going to somehow kill poor Astrid (i can't remember what her name is on this show).  Even at the end i thought a sniper was gonna take her out or the house was gonna blow up or something.

I liked how restrained everything is between Liv & Fitz.  I hope she stays mad a long time.

And finally, I hope this is the beginning of the end of B613.  The only reason I would hope they would revive it is to kill it off completely.  And maybe finally get rid of Papa Pope too. 

• Love 1

I enjoyed this one more than any of the prior umpteen episodes.  There were some decent story lines and some wit.  As others have said, Marla Gibbs was magnificent.  She can still still bring it as an actress big time.  Diego rolling over on B613 for his wife and son was well done by Guillermo Díaz.  It's too bad that they didn't didn't show Fitz' meeting with the Democratic Caucus.  Did he fess up, grovel, lie through his teeth?  Did he tell them about the war cabal conspiracy (conveniently leaving out Olivia of course)? Perhaps he promised to sign any bill that they sent to him.  Maybe they'll show some of it in flashbacks but I'm not holding my breath for that.  It will likely fade from sight as though it never happened.   I kinda of like Red and sleazebag political consultant  They are both so warped that they are pretty funny together and it sort of works. I did laugh at his line regarding her wearing the boots as part of their sex play. Just thought, "yup, that makes sense".  I also with those who think new VP Snorting Laugh is somehow going to pan out and leave Mellie on the outside looking in. Now that will be fun to watch.

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 2

Even though Huck's certifiably insane, it was kind of nice to see him reconciling with his family.

Oh, Fitz.  Of course you're going to have to beg.  Because you're the worst human being in a show filled with loathsome people and you need to be punished.  Punished hard.

He should also grovel on his hands and knees before the families of those poor soldiers that got killed all because he wanted his Olivia doll back.  And the families of those people on the plane that he blew up all those years ago.  And the family of the senator that he smothered to death.  Grovel until his knees bleed.

I'm mostly disappointed that I misheard the line from the promos, "Go to the Hill and beg them to forgive you." I thought Olivia said, "Go to Hell and beg them to forgive you."

• Love 2

Isn't Huck's wife a teacher or a librarian? I swear that I have a memory of her reading a book to kids, and Huck in military fatigues coming up behind her to surprise her presumably after returning from overseas. Did I make this up in my mind? I don't think they gave her any background story on Fringe. Maybe Rosen was afraid that he, himself, would get disbarred?

I'm mostly disappointed that I misheard the line from the promos, "Go to the Hill and beg them to forgive you." I thought Olivia said, "Go to Hell and beg them to forgive you."

For an irresponsible, reckless putz like Fitz, they are probably one in the same.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the Susan Ross stuff and I too am thinking that she will turn out to be a bit more than Mellie & Fitz thinks she is.

I am all for anything that foils Mellie. But let's face it, that isn't exactly a hard thing to do. Mellie's schemes always fail so badly she makes Wile E. Coyote look like a huge success. That being the case, I am all for this Susan Ross meeting the same fate as the last Susan Ross to come across my TV screen, and she somehow finds herself having to lick a bunch of cheaply made envelopes chock full of toxic glue. I am sure they have some in stock at B613's fake paper company.

While we're at it, send some of those envelopes Gabby's way. I can't believe I am saying that, seeing as how she used to be my favorite character by far. But I guess the douchiness of the Grant administration is highly contagious.

I totally thought she said that and my heart was so happy!! But, no....

Isn't Huck's wife a teacher or a librarian? I swear that I have a memory of her reading a book to kids, and Huck in military fatigues coming up behind her to surprise her presumably after returning from overseas. Did I make this up in my mind? I don't think they gave her any background story on Fringe. Maybe Rosen was afraid that he, himself, would get disbarred?

Jen we're tugging too hard at these threads, leave em alone girl, leave em 'lone.  Lol!   I remember that episode, she was reading to a kindergarten class at circle time.  Now maybe law school happened in that same time warp where the miracle of their family reunion goes unexplained but Shonda's busy, let's not look too closely ;)

• Love 3

Isn't Huck's wife a teacher or a librarian? I swear that I have a memory of her reading a book to kids, and Huck in military fatigues coming up behind her to surprise her presumably after returning from overseas. Did I make this up in my mind? 

Well girl then we have a case of group hallucination on our hands because I 'made up' this same damn scene in MY head. 

I wish someone had told him that when he was done apologizing to Congress, he could start apologizing to the families of those that lost their lives.

As much as Liv is right about this, I STILL think she's full of shit. Because if Fitz hadn't tried to move heaven and earth to save her and had gone ahead and authorized the attempt to neutralize her, and she'd somehow escaped and come back all on her own or with someone else's help, she would have been flipping her hair, gnashing her teeth and screeching "YOU.....TRIED....TO...KILL...ME". If he'd sat back and done nothing: "You LEFT ME to DIE!"

This was a lose-lose situation. No matter what happened, she was going to be spitting fire and floating about on her cloud of righteous indignation, clutching that off-white hat. So sorry...she's right, and Fitz is an ass...but I'm not impressed with Liv's vitriol because it seems insincere and self serving. She's annoying. She needs to get the hell on to Vermont and jam herself.

Edited by LaJefaza
  • Love 7

One more thing I wanted to add - was anyone else thinking the worst when Huck's son asked his mother if he could go over to Jake's?  It was after dinner and dark out and they were like "Sure" - and I thought well, at least Huck should know better than to let the kid wander around alone at night - even if Jake lives next door.  No one can walk him over there?

I don't think it bodes well for the poor kid.

• Love 2

^^ girl please they do not want that baby.  That's the same child wandering around d.c. after school rendezvousing with his father for hours on end and his mama has no idea that he was ever even gone.   I think you just wrote part of the next episode though.  Very Liam Neeson.  Lol.

• Love 2

I remember that scene too, mostly because my local ABC affiliate airs Scandal reruns on Sundays at midnight and my DVR caught that one last week, haha. I just rewatched this episode and and David definitely says "I am the attorney general Mrs. Munoz and you're taking me for a fool. I could have you disbarred."

• Love 1
That being the case, I am all for this Susan Ross meeting the same fate as the last Susan Ross to come across my TV screen, and she somehow finds herself having to lick a bunch of cheaply made envelopes chock full of toxic glue.

I am glad I'm not the only one who thinks of Seinfeld whenever I hear that name.

Because if Fitz hadn't tried to move heaven and earth to save her and had gone ahead and authorized the attempt to neutralize her, and she'd somehow escaped and come back all on her own or with someone else's help, she would have been flipping her hair, gnashing her teeth and screeching "YOU.....TRIED....TO...KILL...ME". If he'd sat back and done nothing: "You LEFT ME to DIE!"

Yeah, she'd probably be mad either way. I think she may also subconsciously blame him for the whole ordeal, because she was taken because of her association with him.

• Love 1

I'm tired of the notion that Olivia Pope is somehow more important than any other human on the planet. And it's not just Fitz, because at least he has a personal reason for that idea.

Huck is willing to sacrifice his family "for Liv". They're all so concerned about her all the time. How many people have to sacrificed - figuratively and literally - "for Liv"?

• Love 6

I'm tired of the notion that Olivia Pope is somehow more important than any other human on the planet. And it's not just Fitz, because at least he has a personal reason for that idea.

Huck is willing to sacrifice his family "for Liv". They're all so concerned about her all the time. How many people have to sacrificed - figuratively and literally - "for Liv"?

This is why I was glad to see Huck choose his family and give an honest testimony in the end. 

• Love 2

That's what happens when you center the show around one person. It makes all the other characters look weak and helpless without that ONE person always coming to save the day. Like some kind of stupid cartoon. It's gotten really boring and over -the- top. I guess that's why so many people love Mellie. She doesn't worship at the Olivia Pope altar.

ETA: It would be nice to see Shonda try Jake and Quinn. Since the writers have toned her down and gotten her away from Huck some, she's almost tolerable to watch. That way Jake don't have to wait around until it's his "turn" to " be with Olivia. I think they have pretty decent chemistry together.

Edited by Sidney
  • Love 5

I was extremely annoyed with Abby for being so upset that Leo was being soooo meeeean to Susan. Really? A heartbeat away? Leo was right to push her.

And yeah, Susan is going to screw up Mellie's plans. Can't wait!

• Love 2

As I sit at my table for one,as someone who has always felt sorry for Huck.  I have to admit that Huck's testimony about his time in the hole brought me to some serious tears. I hope that the poor man has a chance at a semi-normal life in the future.

• Love 2

Marla Gibbs should get her own Shonda show-- just with more rational story lines. And Huck's wife is so underutilized. She's the incomparable Astrid, babysitter to geniuses. Have her shot she she can join Marla.

Edited by dr pepper
  • Love 1

I'm hoping someone wakes up from a dream here one day a la "who shot JR?" and we realize B613 and all of this stupid bullshit was not real.

I want to see Liv get politicians out of ridiculous situations.  Please....what do I have to do?

Edited by CaughtOnTape

Could be that she changed careers, could be that she was volunteering in some capacity (attorneys sometimes read to kids), could be that it's a Shonda retcon. :)

• Love 1

I'm hoping someone wakes up from a dream here one day a la "who shot JR?" and we realize B613 and all of this stupid bullshit was not real.

And after her dream, she wakes up in bed with regular guy Fitzgerald Grant at their B&B in Vermont, surrounded by various characters such as Handyman Huck, long term tenant David and his ditzy wife Abby, drop in love interest Edison, etc.....

• Love 2
Could be that she changed careers, could be that she was volunteering in some capacity (attorneys sometimes read to kids), could be that it's a Shonda retcon.

In the "Seven Fifty-Two" episode, Huck and Kim are shown as pretty young and just starting out, so Kim could have been going to law school while also being a library assistant. It's very possible she's a lawyer a decade or so later, but they could have easily spelled that out, rather than have David make a threat about disbarment out of the blue.

Happened to catch a snippet of "Mellie" appearing on Ellen, talking enthusiastically about how wonderful the writing on the show is.  And Ellen agreed.  And I flipped to another channel. Because after the last few episodes, I think anyone who could say that and appear to mean it is beyond delusional.  

Edited by Calamity Jane
  • Love 1