Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Viewers Like You

Dissy
  • Start Topic

LOL MC!  

looky, great avatar!  There's nothing like a good cocktail especially while watching some trash TV. 

You know, I never noticed the dim lighting before but now that I think about it, maybe it is a thing.  Looking around my own house, we have lots of windows but I only have one lamp with a bright bulb.  I do have a bright overhead in the kitchen but I almost never use it, preferring the smaller lamps.  

As a native to the PNW, I can say I very rarely get cold here either although as a kid "beachwear" generally meant a sweatshirt and shorts.  We still tell the story about when my s-i-l's mother was visiting in August from AZ and wore my arctic coat to the beach, which was a balmy 60-65 degrees by the way.

As a general rule, we rarely use umbrellas for daily use either.  I do wear a raincoat if it's raining but without the liner.   I don't like to wear my wool coat in the rain or inside so it often stays in the car if I'm going to the mall or the theater etc.     And I generally don't mind the rain until we've gone a month straight without a dry day.  But this year hasn't been the normal drizzle - it's been car-wash caliber which is making me cranky. 

BUT, it's all relative.  Although I grew up here, I lived/worked in Alaska for 15 years - where it's much darker and much colder.    And yet, the one year I spent in Florida was the longest year of my life - no offense to any Floridians here.  

Cosmocrush, you are describing my son and family and everyone they know.  Even the kids don't like to bring a coat anywhere.  Sometimes they end up freezing and gazing longingly at my coat.  The most I'll do is let them in with me. But some of them are getting too big.  Teenage grandson wears shorts as much as allowed.  He said "don't buy me a winter coat, I won't wear it".  so he has some hoodies. We just moved from the deep south to a big southern city where there are four seasons.  It is colder and drier here.  I knew it going in.  I'm trying to embrace winter.  I just bought myself a hat and gloves and a big scarf.  Didn't bother with that in the deep south even on very cold days.  the saving grace in both places is the southern sun which is definitely warmer than the sun I rarely feel in the winter in the PNW.  Due for a visit there soon, but they are coming here first.  But your summers are spectacular.

• Love 2

looky, you may grow to like having the four seasons.  I know it's one thing I really missed when we lived in Alaska - which only has two seasons, three if you count Break Up [generally March where everything is melty mud]  

And yes, our PNW dark days can get pretty short up here - by the end of Nov. we are going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark which probably never happens in the south.  

Good point about the dim lighting though; I never thought about it before but it seems like it should be the opposite.    No wonder I sometimes feel like a mole when the sun comes out LOL.   And maybe that's why when the sun does finally come out, even just for a couple of days everyone, everyone rushes outside and not just for playtime either;  teachers hold classes outside, college kids study outside, people who work in office buildings fill the outdoor spaces at lunch hour and/or coffee time.  My office has a rooftop deck where I've known meetings to be scheduled in the beautiful warm days of July.  

I'm definitely going to start noticing things like percentages of people wearing coats and lighting though.  I guess I never gave either one a second thought but my teenage nephew sounds alot like your grandson - no coat, just hoodies etc.    And suddenly I feel like I need to re-evaluate my home lighting.  ;-)

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 2

I'm outside of Chicago.  Teenage boys wear hoodies instead of coats - even if it's below zero.  They don't even zip them up half the time, just stand around with hands in pockets, looking like they're comfortable.   We call it "too cool to be cold."

Edited by backformore
  • Love 5

I'm outside of Chicago.  Teenage boys wear hoodies instead of coats - even if it's below zero.  They don't even zip them up half the time, just stand around with hands in pockets, looking like they're comfortable.   We call it "too cool to be cold."

Ditto here in Calgary.  I live a block from a High School & watching those teenagers, girls & boys, freezing their butts off reminds me of ......

• Love 2

looky, you may grow to like having the four seasons.  I know it's one thing I really missed when we lived in Alaska - which only has two seasons, three if you count Break Up [generally March where everything is melty mud]  

Cosmo - it was one of the reasons to move here.  In other place there were basically two seasons.  Add in the threat of and actual hurricanes, and I'm past all that in my dotage.  I knew there would be winter of sorts here but, it is mitigated by the southern sun.  Plus we will have three other seasons where we can do things outside instead of either huddling in the heat in winter or escaping the heat in the a/c in the hot humid summers.  Although hot and humid doesn't bother me much, it bothered everyone else I would do things with.

• Love 1

My dad used to joke that my husband would wear shorts to the wedding ceremony if he could--and he almost did because the tuxes were late and they had to get them from another store. 

I saw a teen girl wearing flip flops the other day here in Colorado. There is snow on the ground. Nuff' said.

• Love 1

I'm going to drop this here because it's so cute. I have a thing for the M&M's characters and loved the clips they used in this video and the song goes so well along with it too.

• Love 4

I'm going to drop this here because it's so cute. I have a thing for the M&M's characters and loved the clips they used in this video and the song goes so well along with it too.

That is cute Jaded.  I had no idea the m&m characters had been part of the advertising for decades.   I still remember the first time I saw the m&m store in Las Vegas probably 15 years ago and was amazed by it. 

• Love 1

I'm putting this in small talk bc it seems kind of off topic, but it relates to the impression that CCB  seems to want Roe v Wade overturned.

This happened some years ago, but it is relevant imo. It reminds me of a neighbor (who was my bf's - my bf at the time- ex wife). She was strongly anti-choice. ..... until..... her (their) 15 year old daughter (my bf's daughter too) became pregnant. They took the girl for a safe , legal abortion.

Then this woman went back to loudly, strongly anti-choice stance and she was preachy about it.. So basically, she wanted a choice when SHE (and her minor daughter) needed choice, but choice for others..... NOPE. The hypocrisy was stunning.

• Love 13

Yes indeed. Typical of the "I've got mine so f**k the rest of y'all" attitude  that's so sadly prevalent among that severely lacking insight and empathy crowd 

Edited by Dahlia
  • Love 15
22 hours ago, ari333 said:
  Reveal hidden contents
  •  

I cant get the spoiler thing off of here. Sorry. Dangit. IDK what I'm doing

Anyway, Joy was hilarious and on fire.

CCB and Paula, you're going to teach your kids about other religions and then let them choose? Whose head will explode first if the kid does not choose your religion?

Melania and her platform... *Snort* She's married to the biggest bully I've ever known.

Don't know if this works for spoiler boxes but for regular quote-box removal, with the box open click/touch inside the box and a little square grid should appear above the box in the upper left corner. Click/touch to hghlight that box and delete.

Hope this helps!

• Love 1
On 11/4/2016 at 9:47 AM, ari333 said:

I'm putting this in small talk bc it seems kind of off topic, but it relates to the impression that CCB  seems to want Roe v Wade overturned.

This happened some years ago, but it is relevant imo. It reminds me of a neighbor (who was my bf's - my bf at the time- ex wife). She was strongly anti-choice. ..... until..... her (their) 15 year old daughter (my bf's daughter too) became pregnant. They took the girl for a safe , legal abortion.

Then this woman went back to loudly, strongly anti-choice stance and she was preachy about it.. So basically, she wanted a choice when SHE (and her minor daughter) needed choice, but choice for others..... NOPE. The hypocrisy was stunning.

Yep.  The label  "pro-life" is my biggest personal pet peeve.  That crowd has really done some successful framing over the decades.  But the reality is everyone is pro-LIFE for crying out loud.    On the issue of legal abortion, there is pro-choice and anti-choice.  And don't get me started on politicizing women's health (ie. Congress' failure on Zikka virus funding.) 

Heh, something I heard on NPR today - apparently the Zikka virus can adversely affect male fertility.   I'm wondering if that's what finally prompted Congress to get off their ass and fund a fight against it?   

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7

I wanted to thank those who shared kind words with me. I explained in the episode thread that my marriage has recently broken up.  And while I wasn't the one who initiated the separation.   I knew it was over and it had  to end. I think this week has been extremely hard because we always used talk about politics, this week with Hillary losing kind of made me extra depressed. Over all, I'm fine and am enjoying the house with just my 6 year old and myself. Anyway thanks for the kind words. 

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, imjagain said:

I wanted to thank those who shared kind words with me. I explained in the episode thread that my marriage has recently broken up.  And while I wasn't the one who initiated the separation.   I knew it was over and it had  to end. I think this week has been extremely hard because we always used talk about politics, this week with Hillary losing kind of made me extra depressed. Over all, I'm fine and am enjoying the house with just my 6 year old and myself. Anyway thanks for the kind words. 

Just saw this and am offering what I can from afar.  Support, hugs, etc.  I was left long ago by my "one true love" who found another one true love.  It was a miserable time for me.  For a long time.  But, while it is hard to know now, time does help.  I finally got content, comfortable and satisfied with the new order of things.  And then I met my real "one true love".  But first I had to heal.  And honestly, I would have been fine without the new one.

• Love 10

Yeah,  my husband met someone else.  Even though I don't want him back,  it's hard to hear about him moving on so fast. 

Thank you. It's nice to hear from others who have been through similar  situations. 

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, imjagain said:

Yeah,  my husband met someone else.  Even though I don't want him back,  it's hard to hear about him moving on so fast. 

Thank you. It's nice to hear from others who have been through similar  situations. 

My story is too long, but my advice is don't do what I did.  I was so heartbroken and hoping that he would come back, that I was more than fair when dealing with the attorneys.   Play dirty!

• Love 10
1 minute ago, merriebreeze said:

With all due respect, let's not go there please. We all have issues. Let's get back to the show and share personal stuff elsewhere. 

With all due respect, that's why we're commenting HERE, because it's called "Small Talk".  Just sayin'.

• Love 18
4 hours ago, imjagain said:

As I mentioned to you in a separate thread, I was left for a younger one after 25 years. My son (a teen at the time) told me "happiness will be your best revenge." I didn't believe it at all at the time, but it turned out to be true. When I was ready, I joined a few singles groups (like Parents Without Partners, Sierra Club Singles). Not to find love, just to have a social life with not-necessarily-coupled people. What I found was some really good girlfriends, and eventually, a much better second husband. And like LOOKEYLOO said, I know I would have been OK without him, but I'm glad we found each other. 

Sending you hugs and wishes for a better life for you and your son.

Edited by Love2dance
Punctuation
  • Love 9

Love2dance, this isn't funny (or is it?).  I went to ONE (only one) Parents without Partners gathering and it seemed to me just too many men looking for someone to invite them over for dinner.   A friend of mine later told me that his brother (this is in another state) went there to pick up women.  He had never been married--didn't have children.  He did marry a woman he met at one of the PWP social events.  They've been married for over 30 years!

• Love 5

Natasha seems to have more going on upstairs than her Mom does. She appears to be able to put sentences together better too. 

I made it through her video even though she repeated herself repeatedly. She definitely drove home that her book's title is "Let's Be Real".

• Love 1

So. nothing is ever simple or easy with me. First, I want to thank those that pm'd me. Your well wishes and support helps a lot!

Initially, I thought I'd be able to have the mastectomy and reconstruction all in one surgery. Nope. Turns out that I don't have enough body tissue in my tummy for both breasts. So the surgeon will have to take some from my back, right under the shoulder blades. I asked why not use the tissue in the upper chest area? Nope. That will be moved down, when the tummy tissue is taken to fill up the cavities. 

So. Mastectomy next week in one hospital, which is about 20 minutes from where I live and it will be an in and out, like outpatient surgery. Then a few weeks later, is the reconstruction, which will be in DC, at Georgetown Hospital because surgeon will have the support she needs to do this? 

Silver lining? This whole invasive, protracted process has a free tummy tuck thrown in, so...yay? But once it's done, it's DONE.

• Love 20
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:35 PM, springtime said:

CAB's famous daughter Natasha has a book coming out in March.
I'm sure you all want to preorder!

See if you can make it through her video! lol
Let's Be Real

Yikes the next video started-  CAB and Natasha together
CAB as Mom

Does Natasha seem like a religious nut? do you think that she will follow in her mom's footsteps? I am just curious.  I would not be surprise if one of her kids become extremely liberal and antithetical to her upbringing.

We don't have any threads for the newer hosts. Maybe a general "Host Gigs Outside of The View"?

Anyway Sunny was on an old episode of Chopped (Season 23 Ep. 3) last night that aired on Food Network. Apparently she was originally on a Mother's Day episode I've never seen. Last night was an episode where people who were Chopped early got brought back. 

2 hours ago, Jaded said:

We don't have any threads for the newer hosts. Maybe a general "Host Gigs Outside of The View"?

You are right. Part of the reason is that The View hosts have been changing a lot the last couple years enough for us to warrant creating them a dedicated thread. People are free to make new threads for new hosts if they want. There is a thread for guest co-hosts too.

• Love 1

Hello.  I have been reading in here and episode threads a lot never sure where to jump in. 

I have a love hate realatinship with this show.   During the Meridith, Joy,Star Barbara Elizabeth years a friend and went to a taping.  My friend is hard of hearing and we were told they would put us closer to stage.  That didn't happen they gave us the worst seat.  Our view was of the camera mans back. My hearing is pretty good and I could not hear much of the show.  meridith did come say hi to our section.   A Paige person walked around asking people to stay for the next show.  Since we rode a bus for 4 hours we tried hoping they would move our seats.  She passed us numerous times ignoring us to come back and say no more tickets.   Later someone told us where we were sitting is where they put the unattractive people they don't want on TV. 

The only fun thing that happened was we asked a tall good looking man where the ladies room was.  He walked us all the way over to it.  The man then went around the corner and a whole bunch of women started screaming.   I see him on hallmark movies all the time now. LOL 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Wow, that's awful. Unfortunately, I don't think most TV show audiences are treated well. I wouldn't pay to go to any TV show, tbh.

The tickets to the taping are free.  I have gone to Anderson Cooper taping and John Edwards.  Both shows treated the guest nicely.  Of course both shows are cancelled. 

My friends boyfriend also went to David Letterman.  Him and his friends all wore Red Sox shirts.  They said Dave had a great time making fun of them and gave them tickets for free dinners. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tribeca said:

The tickets to the taping are free.  

Oh, well, that makes more sense. I remember Wendy Williams once talking a few years ago about how you can come be in her audience for free, and I just assumed you normally have to pay at most shows from the way she made it sound.

• Love 2
On 3/3/2017 at 3:43 PM, tribeca said:

Later someone told us where we were sitting is where they put the unattractive people they don't want on TV. 

I was working nights back then in the Joy, Star and Meredith era, and I live nearby so I was able to go to several tapings of the View.  When the audience was ushered into their seats it was very random, they didn't single out ugly people to sit behind the cameraman.  It just happened that some people sat behind the cameraman.  If you're sitting directly behind the cameraman,  you're very close to the stage.  I sat way in the back, behind the cameraman, front and center and every other kind of situation.  There was no rhyme or reason to the seating.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I was working nights back then in the Joy, Star and Meredith era, and I live nearby so I was able to go to several tapings of the View.  When the audience was ushered into their seats it was very random, they didn't single out ugly people to sit behind the cameraman.  It just happened that some people sat behind the cameraman.  If you're sitting directly behind the cameraman,  you're very close to the stage.  I sat way in the back, behind the cameraman, front and center and every other kind of situation.  There was no rhyme or reason to the seating.  

Was Star friendly to the audience during the commercial breaks? 

• Love 1