Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Viewers Like You

Dissy
  • Start Topic

Count me in on being a fan of Melatonin. Worked for me when I had a hard time staying asleep. I would always get up around 1 a.m. then finally fall asleep again. With Melatonin I would stay asleep.

Melatonin doesn't work like a sleeping pill.  Take it  45 min to 1 hour before lights out.

• Love 1

I'm a big fan of passionflower and valerian. I have both in tincture form works great and can take a few drops at that dreaded 3 am wake up for no reason thing and puts me back no hangover no dopiness

• Love 2

Perhaps attacking the insomnia problem from the other end would be helpful, GH ... have you considered light therapy to help you regulate your sleep/wake cycle? If done right (timed properly) it can reset your internal clock and make it much easier to get to sleep at night.

If you are interested, Amazon sells numerous small devices that emit the proper light wavelengths. Just search for "light therapy" in the health and personal care section (and don't overpay for something fancy ... cheap and simple devices like the one I own work fine .. just read the reviews to make sure you are getting something reliable). And google "sleep benefits of light therapy" to find more information about light therapy in general and about timing in particular, if you decide to give it a try (generally early in the day, never in the evening).

One other thing I have learned only recently is that pumpkin seed oil taken right before bed really does keep you from feeling the need to get up and use the bathroom at night. That has been my problem ... waking up because I had to go then not being able to get back to sleep. The stuff really works. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone with the same problem.

• Love 1

Thanks guys for the sleep aids info. Benadryl makes me too groggy the next day. I have restless leg syndrome and recent hip problems, so have not been sleeping from Aug and September, so doc gave me sn Rx for rOpinorole in Oct. Works sometimes. I have been up today since 3 a.m. last night cd not sleep cuz of Rls and hip pain. I m a zombie. Need more meds. Thank you all! Definitely going to get some of your suggestions today.

• Love 1

Thanks y'all.

I think my body and mind finally decided to let me sleep. I fell asleep around 7:00 p.m. Next thing I know, it's 8:30 a.m. Friday. A good solid 13.5 hours. I'm hoping this is the end of the insomnia.

I'll try the melatonin...once I have money. Yep, stupid DOES is "investigating" whether I am eligible for unemployment insurance. I swear, the last time I had Unemployment, I didn't have to wait to see if I was eligible after the initial call and providing information. Why do they make it so difficult? Not like one can survive on unemployment, because you can't.  But while I'm applying and waiting for someone to give me an interview and hopefully a job be it temp (until I get permanent) or permanent, I'm fucked and screwed.

I'd rather go back to dreaming of horsies and horseriding, which I was doing before I woke up this morning.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

Did anyone else watch the Democratic Forum with Rachel Maddow.  I really liked the format that gave the candidates great opportunities to state their case, but, must say, I was totally distracted by the young woman wearing black glasses continually yawning over the candidate's left shoulder.  Anyone else notice this?

• Love 3

Did anyone else watch the Democratic Forum with Rachel Maddow.  I really liked the format that gave the candidates great opportunities to state their case, but, must say, I was totally distracted by the young woman wearing black glasses continually yawning over the candidate's left shoulder.  Anyone else notice this?

I recorded it earlier and am just about to start watching, so I'll look for her MC!  I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before and I'm really looking forward to it.  Looks like fun and I'm glad to hear a couple good reviews here!

• Love 2

I recorded it earlier and am just about to start watching, so I'll look for her MC!  I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before and I'm really looking forward to it.  Looks like fun and I'm glad to hear a couple good reviews here!

It is fun.....and very informative about these candidates!

• Love 2

Something I read a long time ago said when you have trouble falling asleep, go to bed and try to stay awake. Get settled on the bed, relax, then just start keeping your eyes open instead of shutting them. Try to keep them open for longer periods. Soon you will start keeping them shut for longer periods. Work to keep them open. It will get harder. And then you will just be asleep. And sleep for longer periods during the night.  I have never taken anything to fall asleep. I have on occasion those nights of mind racing, tossing and turning. Instead of fighting it, trying to fall asleep, I use the above technique and it works every time. 

Also, for the one who said they have restless legs. My son recently went through a sleep test because of sleep walking, snoring, apnea, and when he told the doctor about his restless legs, the doctor explained that restless legs are related to sleep patterns. I am not using the correct terminology to explain this. But my understanding was that sleep, sleep walking (there are two types: one involves night terrors that are a separate type of sleep), sleep apnea, restless legs, all of those things are interconnected. Once they find a solution or diagnosis or treatment for the sleep, it usually solves the restless legs. He was diagnosed with beyond severe sleep apnea and went back for another sleep test to be fitted for a machine. I think severe was a number 30 and he was at 40. That is the amount of time he stopped breathing in an hour, according to the machine. But anyway, just wanted to throw this jangled up interpretation of second hand knowledge about restless legs. It might be worth while to ask the doctor about sleep, more than the usual "I can't sleep" type of conversation.

That is so interesting about the restless legs. I have suffered since I was a little girl and I'm elderly now. I remember sitting in a movie theater with my aunt and her saying to me "can't you sit still?" No I couldn't. What's worse for me is when it interferes with my evenings. Can't sit on the couch and watch tv or read without them bothering me a lot. I have gabapentin 100 that I take very rarely and it works but I only take it at bedtime. I came across a homeopathic remedy - Hyland's Restful Legs- quick dissolving tabs. For me they work pretty well. And very inexpensive. This is a very annoying condition.

• Love 2

Yes, restless leg syndrome is annoying, not painful. And you're right lookeylou, movies in theaters are extremely difficult to sit through. I am all over t h e place in my chair trying to get comfortable. Pity the people around me as i lounge low, then sit up high, then stretch out sideways.....its just almost constant movement. I have a recliner to watch tv which helps alot.

I'm a big fan of passionflower and valerian. I have both in tincture form works great and can take a few drops at that dreaded 3 am wake up for no reason thing and puts me back no hangover no dopiness

Where do I get hose things/ and what dose? Also what dose on melatonin?

My laptop keeps freezing up only on this site when I try to post or go to other pages. Just me?

Where do I get those things/ and what dose? Also what dose on melatonin?

My laptop keeps freezing up only on this site when I try to post or go to other pages. Just me?

Edited by ari333

Where do I get those things/ and what dose? Also what dose on melatonin?

I buy mine at local health food stores. May also be on line cheaper A dropper full is what I use dosing is on bottle too but a few extra drops won't hurt lol

Melatonin no more than 3mg I use 1 mg in and in a sublingual form is best

My diabetic neighbor had luck with putting a bar of Ivory soap under the bed covers toward the end of the bed for the tingling, etc.

This has been a supposed treatment for leg cramps, not diabetic nerve pain, but apparently nobody knows why or if it works.

My mom suffered with leg cramps for years, the soap thing did not work for her.

I'm not sure about the bar of soap thing, I've never heard of it. Does it mean propping your leg on the bar or something? I only ask because I know that sleeping on the couch with my feet propped on the arm really does help with leg cramps (along with bananas/potassium and massaging the calves before sleep); propping my legs like that for 5-10 minutes, I get this weird sensation that feels like strings are being tuned in my calves. lol

Thankfully I've never suffered from restless legs syndrome, but maybe it would help, too? I have no idea.

Edited by TheGreenKnight

Okay you can't just post that and not explain it. I think that tops the time I came home from doing something and my husband's sister [boo hiss spit sputter] [sorry it is a reflex, unfortunately with all three of my sister in laws. Yay me.] had tied raw onions to the bottom of my 8 month old son's feet to draw out a 103 fever.

I have read that if you put a cut raw onion in the room with someone with the flu or a respiratory infection, it will help draw out the infection. I don't remember the publication, but, the article was sent to me by an attorney who worked at a consumer protection agency and swore by it (it didn't say anything about tying the onion to the patient, though.).

• Love 1

I have the leg cramp thing in my right calf only...its peripheral neuropathy. My mom had it bad in both legs cuz she was a heavy smoker from age 15 to 83. I never smoked, walk alot, and try to eat healthy but its there with the restless leg syndrome. Sucks, big time.

I am a senior now and did have a very few leg cramps in my 30's. I would put a little baking soda in water and drink it - it worked immediately.

OTOH....what works for one does not mean all. Google leg cramps and lots of remedies come up.

• Love 1

Magnesium has helped my aunt. Both taking it orally in food and supplements plus taking Epsom salt baths.

I've been reading up on magnesium and it is supposed to be good for RLS, Periodic Limb Movement Disorder and leg cramps.  It seems that a deficiency in magnesium could be at least part of the cause of these ailments.  Although it has been stressed to talk to your physician or pharmacist before starting any supplements as too much of magnesium could have some serious side effects.

I also suffer from RLS, PLMD and the occasional leg cramp so I will be asking my doctor about testing for a magnesium deficiency and, if one is present, what would be a safe dosage to take.  The impact on one's sleep from these conditions can be depressing and overwhelming so I hope all of us find some relief in the future.

I used to have crazy crippling leg cramps [a.k.a. charlie horses] in the am.   I upped my potassium (first pills then food like bananas, avocados, spinach, salt) they vanished.  But I tried many things before that.  

Years ago I found a good resource for info on supplements and home remedies as well as on prescription drugs at The People's Pharmacy.  They run a weekly column in the Seattle Times as well as a website.  I read it every week and always find something useful in it - if not for me then for a family member.   I have a doctor that never met a pharmaceutical rep she didn't love so I like being able to find different solutions.  

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

Did you all ever hear of masturbation as a remedy for restless leg syndrome? Google it. This is not a joke. Supposedly the dopamine released during orgasm makes "jumpy legs" (my name for it) disappear.

I myself cannot attest to the validity of this remedy, as my jumpy legs usually hit me in the late afternoon when I first sit down to relax after a busy day doing things around the house. And that just never seems to be the right time to ... uh... well, you know what I am talking about.

One even weirder remedy that I swear works is closing your eyes and chanting to yourself over and over "I'm not dying, I'm just relaxing. In not dying, I'm just relaxing" (I'm totally serious). This is based on the theory that jumpy legs are caused by your body feeling itself relaxing too fast and mistakenly thinking it's dying. The spasmy urge to kick is your body trying to resist death (are you still with me?). Just try it and see what happens.

• Love 5

Also, for charley horses ... Simple acupressure applied firmly to the upper lip can work like a charm for some people.

Put your thumb inside your upper lip right in the center under your nose, and your index and/or middle finger on the outside and squeeze like hell until the cramp goes away. If you are one of the people this works for, it is pure magic.

Does anyone know what to do for toe spasms? It sounds like a joke if you've never had one, but they are sheer hell! My toes will turn rock hard, hyperflexed like something out of a horror movie and stay like that for three or four minutes. It's torture!

• Love 1

Celia~

My preferred remedy for charley horses should work for toe spasms also.

Firmly rub from the tip of the toe to the base - one direction only, towards the heart.  This stimulates the blood to flow properly and ease the cramp.  The motion should be similar to petting a beloved  pet!

Same thing for charley horses in your foot or leg...always rub towards the heart only.  It should relieve it quickly.

Good luck!

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 2

Also, for charley horses ... Simple acupressure applied firmly to the upper lip can work like a charm for some people.

Put your thumb inside your upper lip right in the center under your nose, and your index and/or middle finger on the outside and squeeze like hell until the cramp goes away. If you are one of the people this works for, it is pure magic.

Does anyone know what to do for toe spasms? It sounds like a joke if you've never had one, but they are sheer hell! My toes will turn rock hard, hyperflexed like something out of a horror movie and stay like that for three or four minutes. It's torture!

Yep, the bane of my existence!!!  Toes, calves, hands & neck.  I just breathe & relax my way through them.

• Love 1

I'll have to try the acupressure advice whenever I have another leg cramp. They were very common for me in high school, until I learned to knead my calves before going to sleep. They still happen occasionally and there's nothing I can do except hold on for dear life until they end after 30 seconds. Sometimes they don't have much effect on me, but other times I have to use a cane or sometimes crutches after I've had one.

I feel for you, Medicine Crow! The only other kind of cramp I've had is a foot cramp--only when I've been standing around for a prolongued period doing something and forgot to put on shoes/support like an idiot. Strangely, foot cramps cause me no pain whatsoever? It's just a weird pinch.

• Love 1

Made it back.  But as said, the Ivory goes under the fitted sheet.  For whatever reason it worked for her.

When I get that inside my legs jumpy feeling, I massage my thighs or calves if necessary.  But stretching my calves works really well, and sometimes I'll get out of bed, stand a bit away from the wall hand(s) on wall and lean into it.  Doing one leg at a time - with one foot ahead of the other - is a better stretch.

Also sitting on the edge of love seat with leg extended and foot flexed or not flexed, leaning forward.  This one will get the calf and upper back of thigh.

Always do these especially after riding a bike or going up & down stairs a lot.  Helps prevent the charley horses.

• Love 1

Masturbation is fun and relaxing but in my frequent experience it does not help leg cramps or RLS. I take magnesium regularly for the calming and i think it helps. I will try massaging my calves.

For RLS I stretch my legs while lying on my side as high as I can, then the other side counting to 10 each time. For leg cramps I take a washcloth soaked with very, very hot water and place it on my right calf where it usually happens to me and in seconds it goes away.

I've been reading up on magnesium and it is supposed to be good for RLS, Periodic Limb Movement Disorder and leg cramps. It seems that a deficiency in magnesium could be at least part of the cause of these ailments. Although it has been stressed to talk to your physician or pharmacist before starting any supplements as too much of magnesium could have some serious side effects.

I also suffer from RLS, PLMD and the occasional leg cramp so I will be asking my doctor about testing for a magnesium deficiency and, if one is present, what would be a safe dosage to take. The impact on one's sleep from these conditions can be depressing and overwhelming so I hope all of us find some relief in the future.

It's stunning how many diagnosed conditions, could well be treated by increasing this valuable mineral

As I have never heard of any serious issues from magnesium with the exception of loose bowels and other digestive issues which are usually due to the type of oral supplementation. I always recommend food sources first, topicals then glycinate and then citrate. Sadly many health issues and diagnoses are tied to this short fall, and seldom considered.

That said, It is close to impossible to serum test for magnesium deficiency, the body works tirelessly to maintain blood levels by taking it from wherever it can. Once the serum levels are affected, things at the cellular level can be dire indeed.

This needs to be more of a clinical diagnosis signs and symptoms and listening to the patient.

The baths, topical application of magnesium, lotions, oils and spray plus increasing food sources are safe and beneficial options with which to start.

Edited by Dahlia
  • Love 3

Thanks for the info Dahlia.  I just read this morning that the best way to get more magnesium (besides the proper foods in your diet) is to apply it topically either through a lotion, oil, spray or bath product.  So your recommendation on this is prompting me to seek out one of the topical solutions mentioned and see how I fare.   

• Love 3

I used to have crazy crippling leg cramps [a.k.a. charlie horses] in the am.   I upped my potassium (first pills then food like bananas, avocados, spinach, salt) they vanished.  But I tried many things before that.  

Years ago I found a good resource for info on supplements and home remedies as well as on prescription drugs at The People's Pharmacy.  They run a weekly column in the Seattle Times as well as a website.  I read it every week and always find something useful in it - if not for me then for a family member.   I have a doctor that never met a pharmaceutical rep she didn't love so I like being able to find different solutions.  

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/

Cosmocrush, thanks for the link.  I checked my new favorite supplement, Passionflower drops.  I have been having severe anxiety lately, since we are moving to another state (HFC, can you hear me?) and this house is under contract and lots has to happen and we will be away for some of it.  I feel like there is a blender inside my head, sometimes.  Anyway, googled anxiety remedies and found this, got it, took it, and felt very sedated. I think I took too many drops.  But, slept well, and anxiety not here today.  I'm going to take just a few drops tonight and hope I sleep well.  

It's stunning how many diagnosed conditions, could well be treated by increasing this valuable mineral

As I have never heard of any serious issues from magnesium with the exception of loose bowels and other digestive issues which are usually due to the type of oral supplementation. I always recommend food sources first, topicals then glycinate and then citrate. Sadly many health issues and diagnoses are tied to this short fall, and seldom considered.

That said, It is close to impossible to serum test for magnesium deficiency, the body works tirelessly to maintain blood levels by taking it from wherever it can. Once the serum levels are affected, things at the cellular level can be dire indeed.

This needs to be more of a clinical diagnosis signs and symptoms and listening to the patient.

The baths, topical application of magnesium, lotions, oils and spray plus increasing food sources are safe and beneficial options with which to start.

Good info.  I found my way to magnesium through the National Osteoporosis Foundation forum called Inspire.  Lots of good info there. I take a product called "Calm" with calcium and magnesium.  It is magnesium citrate, same stuff found in colonoscopy preps, at much higher dosage.  Anyway, I tend to get plugged up, so I experimented and found the right dosage to do its job in that area too.  But, here is my problem of sorts. Now that I am taking more magnesium I am getting more foot cramps.  I am taking it in conjunction with calcium at what I think is the right proportion.  What's up with that?

• Love 3

I read this several years ago on the Internet and it really WORKS for me!   Everyone I tell about  it, just laughs at me.  BUT IT DOES THE TRICK!!!!!!!

• Love 2

Nice to see this smalltalk active!  I've not been around much the last few weeks to snark, my mother had a heart attack a few weeks ago and died this past Saturday.  You can check my profile and follow the saga if interested via my posts in the Duggar Small Talk "Prayer Closet".

• Love 7