Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Viewers Like You

Dissy
  • Start Topic

Now that Rosie has been confirmed as a co-host for next season can we make a new topic for her, instead of just using the Future Co-hosts topic, (which we'll obviously still use for speculation and news regarding the other open spots)?

The only title I can think of is: 

Rosie O'Donnell: She's Back! (Bite it, Elisabeth!)

• Love 6

I am so proud

On twitter I disagreed with a comment that Keith Olbermann was a part of and he scolded me on twitter and told me that I wasn't a Liberal. I guess since I disagreed with him I can't be part of his team. hahahahaha

• Love 4

Just went over to check it out.  He really gets mega-intense over the Redskins name.  I agree with you that most Native Americans don't have anywhere near the issue with the name as KO does.

And darn, when will his show actually have him back on it?  We DVR then are disappointed. 

• Love 1

Just went over to check it out.  He really gets mega-intense over the Redskins name.  I agree with you that most Native Americans don't have anywhere near the issue with the name as KO does.

And darn, when will his show actually have him back on it?  We DVR then are disappointed. 

This issue with the Redskins name is just a social media issue that has been blown up nationally. I'm sure there are people who are offended.... but most Native Americans are not. If I was offended over the Notre Dame "Fighting Irish" should I be able to get that name changed??  Just foolishness

• Love 1

Um, I don't know, my high school's identity was stripped from them decades ago.  I think that it really does ruffle feathers.  That said?  KO can be an intolerable ball of hot air, not that I disagree with most of his opinions.

• Love 4
Wow, RogerFromOhio, you really seem to have gotten him worked up:

I used to watch Olbermann on MSNBC and enjoyed him.  I like his look and I think he's very smart and knowledgeable.  Still, I'd be talking out loud to him, "Calm down, Keith.  CALM DOWN!"  He gets carried away.  He can certainly give it, but he can't take it.  I'd like to know what he's like in person.  He doesn't seem to have many fans among former coworkers.  I'm ig-nernt, so I'm still a fan.

• Love 4

I've always liked KO. Although during Katrina coverage he had become a born again non-smoker and talked about that all.the.time. especially when a victim was smoking. I wrote him an email explaining that and how dare he sit there in comfort and call them out in his $2500 suit. Never heard back...nor him talking like that again for that matter because I didn't stop watching.

• Love 1
(edited)

I used to watch Olbermann on MSNBC and enjoyed him. I like his look and I think he's very smart and knowledgeable. Still, I'd be talking out loud to him, "Calm down, Keith. CALM DOWN!" He gets carried away. He can certainly give it, but he can't take it. I'd like to know what he's like in person. He doesn't seem to have many fans among former coworkers. I'm ig-nernt, so I'm still a fan.

I really miss his MSNBC show and the "Worst Person In the World!" I'm sure he's very difficult IRL but I've still always liked him.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 6

KO still does "Worst Person in the World" on his ESPN gig - when he's there.  He was off a lot because of shingles, and then some more days because of it.  He was hilarious during his soccer coverage and golf.  Hope he's back soon.  He was on Letterman last week.

Which brings me to Dan Patrick.  Patiently waiting until he's back on NBCSports.  I'm hoping he's going to be a bit more interesting now that soccer is over.  Neatest thing is Jim Parson being a fan, being a caller and then an honorary Danette and his funny relationship with McLovin.

(edited)

I'm just catching up here but wanted to respond to one of  @RogerFromOhio's  tweets on KO's page.  Nice argument by the way Roger, even if I disagree, I like your style.  

RogerFromOhio ‏@RogerFromOhio Jul 17

@r_bagby @KeithOlbermann They sure do try to stop him from being President....but the Right hasnt figured out how to over turn elections yet

Ah but they have @RogerFromOhio.  Have you forgotten 2000  Bush v Gore already? 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 6
(edited)

Jury room fashion sure has changed since the last time I went...

It was an interesting morning-

Luckily a woman in pink pj pants (with the length torn to fit) just came with a friend. She wanted to see what jury duty was like.

She quickly learned there isn't a lot happening! She was constantly checking her cell phone (commenting on the time) and her long hair for split ends. (I actually told her that she probably could've watched the jury duty video (the only thing we did) on You Tube!

I initially thought she might be a direct care worker (just off the overnight shift) bringing a disabled man in- or they were a married couple with disabilities.

NOPE- He drove (and had to drive miles out of the way) to pick her up! lol (a quick city to city search has round trip travel time of an hour)

She was the one complaining about the early hour!!! lol (I actually never heard a word from him)

THey should instruct people to not bring friends!!!

We had two quite casual short and t-shirt wearers with the backward baseball caps (one male who let us all know he did not want to be there and a woman who seemed to be making a lifestyle statement with a rainbow tied dye design)

Looking over the strange and small  crowd- I was thinking that I would be heading into the courtroom- but we got released at 9:30!!!

Edited by springtime
  • Love 2

It means let's not go too far down the road where things get all left v. right holier-than-thou shouty match like every political discussion out there because I don't want to spend limited moderation resources on the non-TV gnashing of teeth and tears of rage.

• Love 4
One thing I've wondered for decades is who decides when various terms, spellings, and punctuations change.  AND...how do they notify us all in a timely manner?  I also wonder how and when some terms relating to people's ethnic origins become negative when not used in an insulting manner.  I think there are secret organizations (The Ultimate High Board of Punctuation ~ The Assembly of Stern Spelling Sisters) who make changes on a whim and then laugh in derision because they didn't pass along the changes, rules, and their reasons to anyone.

Most people I know won't jump down someone's throat if they use "oriental" to describe a person. It can be simple ignorance, but words like "oriental" "negro" "eskimo" "indian" represent a time where those names were not given to that group positively. The words can be associated with ignorance, prejudice, racism, and as a result, it does make people uncomfortable. It reminds people of a time where they or their ancestors were not treated fairly when they were called these things. 

Yes, @CathinAZ 's Japanese friend and others do reappropriate these kind of terms, but they are still taboo in many contexts. 

I don't want to get into a lengthy discussion about this, but we're a good group here for the most part. 

As for the other language stuff, we even have a great topic going on about it in Everything Else TV. Language evolves for better or for worse, but that's another lengthy topic.

(edited)

Better yet, read the article with the photo of David Duchovny about the movie Louder Than Words. Pictured are my dear cousin and her husband on who the movie is based.

Wow @maryis1. I'm so sorry for your family's loss.  They must be an amazing family. 

The trailer looks like a must-see movie for me - what a compelling, inspiring story.  And I love Hope Davis and David Duchovny too.

And I'm not gonna lie - the genesis of their story freaked me out more than a little though.   We had a bat in our house just a couple weeks ago.  Those things freak me the eff out more than anything else.  

Oh and in case anyone missed maryis' post in the SS thread and is interested, here is the link to the story @maryis1 is talking about:

http://www.people.com/article/david-duchovny-louder-than-words-maria-fareri

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3

Remember when...

In learning how to sew fabric items,  you learned how to match fabric prints at the seams?

It took more fabric - but it makes a clothing item look much nicer!

Do any clothing manufacturers do this anymore?

(probably items I can not afford)

I often order items online- so it is hard to tell how sloppy the lack of matching looks until items arrive-

I wish more care was taken with this!

• Love 2

Remember when...

In learning how to sew fabric items,  you learned how to match fabric prints at the seams?

Do any clothing manufacturers do this anymore?

(probably items I can not afford)

I often order items online- so it is hard to tell how sloppy the lack of matching looks until items arrive-

I wish more care was taken with this!

I hear you on this one. It brings to mind when plaid was the thing. Plaid not continuing correctly at the seams looked awful. Flash back!

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 1

Ok, people, how many times can a person's feet possibly be stepped on, have stuff dropped on, and run into things?  This has gotten ridiculous covering only a few days.  Pretty sure it's up to SEVEN times!

I used to always here about signs being in different parts of the body and not to have surgery or such when that occurred.  My grandmother would look in the Farmers Almanac for that info.

If I had to guess, I'd bet on being in the feet.  Damn.  This last one was a shampoo bottle falling off the shelf in the shower.  I had to laugh...after I cussed the shampoo!

Remember when...

In learning how to sew fabric items,  you learned how to match fabric prints at the seams?

One of my kids (a boy...well, a middle-aged man) has remembered this lesson most of his life.  I let my kids pick out some fabric when I was into Stretch'n Sew but explained how prints and plaids had to match at the seams.  He'll still point out "good" or "bad" outfits on television.

• Love 3

OMG mbutterfly..... there have been a few times when I got my dander up and realized that the people I'm talking to understand what I'm thinking and I don't have to explain like when Im talking to a RWNJ... it is so refreshing.... I'm glad you posted this  :)

• Love 5

I simply want to say it is rather lovely to be posting on a board where I'm not the only political liberal. That is all. Carry on.

Try living in certain parts of Texas where your neighbors, co-workers, church friends are all Republican.  There may be some Dems, but they have been shouted down and are very quiet.  It's very lonely.  LOL.  

• Love 3

Try living in certain parts of Texas where your neighbors, co-workers, church friends are all Republican.  There may be some Dems, but they have been shouted down and are very quiet.  It's very lonely.  LOL.  

I know the feeling.... I live in a blood red county in Ohio...... take for example... the 2012 election.... every Democrat on the ballot... local... state.. and federal.... every single one of them not only lost the county... but the city as well..... and there isnt even a Republican party that meets on a regular basis.

Oh yeah... both John McCain and Mitt Romney had a rally in Defiance Ohio...... and I protested them both!!

• Love 5

CNN has cancelled Crossfire again so S.E. Cupp is probably going to be in the job market soon unless she waits until after she has her baby. The View dodged a bullet with that one. Glad Crossfire wasn't officially cancelled before now. CNN says she and the other hosts will stay on with the network as consultants.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cnn-quietly-cancels-crossfire-three-737963

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

CNN has cancelled Crossfire again so S.E. Cupp is probably going to be in the job market soon unless she waits until after she has her baby. The View dodged a bullet with that one. Glad Crossfire wasn't officially cancelled before now. CNN says she and the other hosts will stay on with the network as consultants.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/cnn-quietly-cancels-crossfire-three-737963

Cupp, work for Gleen Beck, network.

Edited by fgoldberg

Sherri can't manage to take enough cash with her to pay her cab fare????  Did I miss something?  I hope Jeffrey wasn't with her.

The story was she walked Jeffery to school.... and he forgot something... I think his glasses... so she took a cab home to get his glasses and didnt have cash to pay the $7 cab fare.... so some stranger on the street paid her fare for her.

Not sure if she rewarded his generosity...... but I suggested that she should pay it forward and evidently that is her motto or something.

Thanks springtime.... that was so sweet

Edited by RogerFromOhio
  • Love 3

Roger, you seem to have a talent for getting celebrities/politicians to respond to you and/or greet you.  What's your secret? 

I don't know.... I just send tweets.... and try not to be nasty about it.... it is kinda cool when they respond though

• Love 2

Good thing she has an apartment in the city. That would have been a heck of a fare to Jersey. Did she walk back, get the glasses and then a cab, or was it round trip, I wonder? Doesn't make sense but it narrows down where she's living to anyone who knows Jeffrey's school. She's really dopey like that.

My satellite service is DISH and we subscribe to a midrange package (don't pay for HBO, fancy movie channels, etc.). One channel we do get is CNN. For the past month or so Turner, the company that supplies DISH with that channel and about 4 others has been negotiating with them to continue offering the channels...but in the meantime the contract has expired so we are not getting those channels. I miss my CNN ( Anderson cooper, lisa ling show, etc). and am hoping they will agree to a new contract without increasing costs to customers. If any of you has DISH, call an complain about missing the Turner channels and they should at least credit you a token amount on your monthly bill ($10) for a few months for "the inconvienience of losing those channels".

• Love 1

Well, this is bizarre but at midday today DISH restored the channels, so contract must have been agreed upon between them and Turner. Venting on this board this morning created some good karma, I guess. Wierd timing, but glad to have CNN on my TV again!

Cathy, I have cable but I heard about that on the radio this morning.  Apparently CBS is up next to be dropped by DISH but I doubt that will really happen because this country will not tolerate any interruption in their football, unlike their CNN. 

Thanks, Cosmocrush, for the heads up. I agree with you about CBS,

It's all about $$$. When I contacted DISH about a month ago they put all the blame on Turner saying that company wanted more money and DISH didn't want to increase costs to customers so they were trying to continue negotiating even after contract expired and channels were inaccessible. And when I say I contacted DISH, I mean some poor kid, probably located in India, who was reading off a clearly planned script putting all blame on losing the channels on Turner. I kept asking him why I should continue paying my full monthly bill when I was getting less channels and ultimately got a reduction in my monthly bill for 6 months. I wonder if they will honor the 6 months now that channels are restored?